• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Video Games General

So I'm near the end(I think) of BG2 Throne of Bhaal and Eliminster just showed up and admitted that even he would not dare try to fight me. I'll admit my DnD lore isn't that good but I know Eliminster is something of a big deal. Umm, exactly how big a deal is it that he thinks that fighting me is a stupid idea?
Let's put it this way, Eliminster is a 1162 years old Wizard in DnD. He is older than some Gods in DnD, he can throw down with the best of non-Gods.

Let's put it this way, Eliminster is a 1162 years old Wizard in DnD. He is older than some Gods in DnD, he can throw down with the best of non-Gods.
Oh.
Yeah, Gorian's Ward is kinda terrifying when put into that context. Especially since the conversation took place right after I killed 2 dragons.

Oh.
Yeah, Gorian's Ward is kinda terrifying when put into that context. Especially since the conversation took place right after I killed 2 dragons.

He can also, if pressed, kill some of those gods.

There is no way the PC at the end of BG2 is scarier than he is, as you can't level up to 35 by the end of BG2.

He can also, if pressed, kill some of those gods.

There is no way the PC at the end of BG2 is scarier than he is, as you can't level up to 35 by the end of BG2.

Maybe it's not that Elminster doesn't think he can take you, it's that he doesn't want all the collateral damage that will happen when he does.

Maybe it's not that Elminster doesn't think he can take you, it's that he doesn't want all the collateral damage that will happen when he does.

Eh, timestop followed by a few dozen delayed blast fireballs and then Prismatic sphere to contain the blast (and you if you somehow survive it).

Or use Imprisonment to remove you effectively permanently, maybe combine that with timestop followed by a few Dimension Doors to bury you underneath the ocean or something.

Of course, the first thing he'd cast on himself is Haste followed by Mordenkainen's Disjunction on you to make sure you don't actually have any magic going to protect you from the above.

And this is without using Level 10 spells or wish, both of which he has access to (and Wish will effectively always do what he wants because his boss is literally Mystra and she gives him broad authority to do shit). These spells are even available in 5e, though both Timestop and Dimension Door have been heavily nerfed over time... not that it hurts him any, because he's fucking Elminster and thus still has access to spells from 2e. Because fuck you.

BG2, meanwhile, is 2e so their power in 5e doesn't matter at all.

He's a GMPC. Trying to fight against him is like going against Caine in WoD or the Lady of Pain in Planescape.

Hey, I just repeating what the guy himself said. Also I loath GMPCs.

So I'm near the end(I think) of BG2 Throne of Bhaal and Eliminster just showed up and admitted that even he would not dare try to fight me. I'll admit my DnD lore isn't that good but I know Eliminster is something of a big deal. Umm, exactly how big a deal is it that he thinks that fighting me is a stupid idea?

Remember this is the guy who canonically Gaslit Ed Greenwood(?) Into providing venue and snacks for his wizard conclaves.

He's not, he's a player character after the main campaign for him is done (see: his books).
^This. Elminster started as Ed Greenwood character in the first D&D roleplay games, and then he started writing his adventures because his friends asked him. His books are ... not really exceptional, but decent enough.

He is also a Chosen of Mystra, that makes him one of the few that could inherit her God of Magic portfolio if she died ( again ). He is not the only one, and she tends to prefer females. But well, Elminster has been female several times.

He also was one of the mages that helped to create the first Mythal in Forgotten Realms, Myth Drannor, IIRC. He is that old.

I also got a Steam gift card... picked up Marvel's Midnight Suns, The Tale of Onogoro (VR Puzzle game with cute girl), RUINSMAGUS (VR JRPG, seemed neat), and Sea of Stars.

I've only gotten to Sea of Stars so far... and it's shaping up pretty damn good so far. It's got a bit of Chrono Trigger's combo attacks, Mario RPG's timed hits, and some really interesting complexities besides, like being able to break enemy spells so they do less damage or cancelling them entirely by hitting them with specific types of damage.

Story's pretty normal so far, nothing to particularly complain about. Could do without the author-expy butting in now and again, but it's not gotten to obnoxious levels yet.

...I feel kinda bad about comparing Garl to Ramus, even if it kinda fits.

After years of being exposed to it through cultural osmosis and random Youtube videos, I've finally taken the plunge and given Team Fortress 2 a try.

And honestly? I like it. Takes a bit to get used to some things, getting used to new controls is like that, and I accidentally blew up a building as an engineer more than once, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Currently I'm mostly gravitating towards Heavy, Engineer, and Medic, I like how they play so far (though in case of Medic it's more obligation since it's a bit rare to find one in a casual game, I noticed, but I like being support so, eh?), especially Heavy.

Doesn't really mean I'm any good at them or anything like that, I still get dominated in most of the matches I play, but, well, growing pains of a new player, I suppose.

After years of being exposed to it through cultural osmosis and random Youtube videos, I've finally taken the plunge and given Team Fortress 2 a try.

And honestly? I like it. Takes a bit to get used to some things, getting used to new controls is like that, and I accidentally blew up a building as an engineer more than once, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Currently I'm mostly gravitating towards Heavy, Engineer, and Medic, I like how they play so far (though in case of Medic it's more obligation since it's a bit rare to find one in a casual game, I noticed, but I like being support so, eh?), especially Heavy.

Doesn't really mean I'm any good at them or anything like that, I still get dominated in most of the matches I play, but, well, growing pains of a new player, I suppose.

As a tip: for heavy you can jump around corners while revving your minigun, for engie never be afraid to fall back to the next point with your teleporter and sentry (the dispenser is for your team, primarily, so put it in places they'll fight near), and for medic you can jump and crouch at the same time to be pushed away from incoming damage (this is called surfing the damage and is the basis for rocket jumping for soldier and pyro and grenade/sticky jumping for demo and pyro).

As a tip: for heavy you can jump around corners while revving your minigun, for engie never be afraid to fall back to the next point with your teleporter and sentry (the dispenser is for your team, primarily, so put it in places they'll fight near), and for medic you can jump and crouch at the same time to be pushed away from incoming damage (this is called surfing the damage and is the basis for rocket jumping for soldier and pyro and grenade/sticky jumping for demo and pyro).
Disregard that, acquire hats.

FINALLY beat Half Life 2 Episode 2. In VR, but who's counting?

I will complain that the Hunters shouldn't know to shoot down the Magnissons right away, AND that once attached and armed their shots should detonate them same as any- as should the bullets of your friendlies.

I'm not sure if we're on alternate timelines after Alyx or what though.

Since the lightning shot should've happened BEFORE Gordon lost consciousness if we're on the same timeline- or G-Man just didn't include him in the rewind... but then, who knows with that fucker?

So I guess it's time to wait for Half Life 3, right? As long as it took me, that should be coming out soon, right?

...Right?

EDIT: Next up on the VR roster... The Tale of Onogoro.

Just glancing at the achievements up on the right... oh my. This is a very lewd game.

"Kindred Soul - Held hands with Haru to heal at least 10 times."

Hate to double-post, but I do have a few things to say, so... meh.

Tale of Onogoro... a few things they did right, a few they did wrong... probably.

First: Haru is adorable AND lowkey badass.

The villain steals her bow, cuts off an arm, cuts off a leg, rips out an eye... oh, and at some point, HER FUCKING HEART... and she just cobbles together some steampunk bullshit so she can keep going until he chains her to 'Soul Stealer' and stabs it into a 'Quelling Stone' which I'm pretty sure is supposed to subdue kami. Then she prays until you (a being from the Unseen World) show up and take some God Guns that can move the rock anyway.

I guess they didn't make her the High Priestess for nothing.

Other than that... it's a VR puzzle game. The puzzles so far have ramped up in difficulty at a decent pace. You move Haru's rock around with her on top of it to activate some switches, your guns can charge themselves off various elemental monuments to activate various types of switches, the monuments only being just enough to solve the puzzle if you know exactly what you're doing. Just got to the puzzles where you have to double-charge your guns with a single element to activate some switches. Needed three wind to get through one puzzle, and the third was on the other side of an airlock-style door that had to be activated with wind, so I had to shoot the switch with one gun and re-drain the monument as soon as it refilled (which they do once you discharge your shot) more or less simultaneously to get the shot through the gate to where the switches were. There are also some enemies that wander around and take a specific type of damage to defeat, and they can attack both you and Haru- there was one I had to distract to keep off her while she activated a switch to reveal the monument I could use to kill it.

And yes, you have to hold hands with her to heal, though your HP also regenerates on its own. I'm guessing later enemies and bosses will deal more damage than what we've faced so far. She'll also respond to nodding or shaking your head at various points.

The Bad: The gameplay is level-based... with star ratings. It doesn't tell you what affects your score or how to get three stars on a level, though I assume the clock, finding the nexus points (hidden things you have to shoot with a specific element) and not getting hit. There's also no impetus to care, as far as I can tell, about the star rating or the nexus points... but there's also a mention down on the steam community stuff of an alternate ending. I really hope it's just the nexus points, I can go back and hunt for those later if need be. But so far it just looks like an attempt to artificially create replay value. I'm ignoring it and taking it slow and easy. Mostly because listening to Haru geek out is kinda cute.

Hey, did Sony recant the price increase for their Online Subscription or is it still at 80 € for a year?

The villain steals her bow, cuts off an arm, cuts off a leg, rips out an eye... oh, and at some point, HER FUCKING HEART... and she just cobbles together some steampunk bullshit so she can keep going until he chains her to 'Soul Stealer' and stabs it into a 'Quelling Stone' which I'm pretty sure is supposed to subdue kami. Then she prays until you (a being from the Unseen World) show up and take some God Guns that can move the rock anyway.

Was thinking about this earlier, and now I have a MIGHTY NEED for a meme.

Facepastes of Masatake as King Arthur and Haru as the Black Knight through at least one limb removal, with the captions.

Also: The other game I'm working through at the moment is Sea of Stars.

It's pretty good so far- just met the ninja, if you know what I'm trying not to spoil you know.

They cribbed a lot of stuff I know of and probably some I don't, including Chrono Trigger's on-field enemies and combo attacks.

And Mario RPG's Timed Hits, which I can't believe is so rare- it seems like such a neat addition to any RPG that's otherwise sedate.

Combat could be a little less tight, but the challenge level is mostly okay- I may need to go back and powerlevel a tiny bit eventually.

Story's pretty basic... so far. I suspect the eclipse will change everything we thought we knew and more or less be just the end of Act 1.

Also: I fucking love the pirates. They're so goofy.

The captain looking to see if anyone's around before pulling the hook off their hand and shaking it out is *chef's kiss*

Hey all. I figured I'd pop in to blatantly shill a video game you probably haven't heard of before: Noblesse Oblige: Legacy of the Sorcerer Kings, which can be found on steam or the developer's blog. I wrote a review of the game a couple of months ago, and the latest update released on patreon has reminded me that more people need to know about it.

In brief, do you like games with a good story? With nuanced characters, competent antagonists, a dash of romance, and a realistic exploration of a rich fantasy setting? Do you enjoy games with turn based combat? Do you enjoy games that let you make important decisions then see how they play out?

If you're looking for a good game to play then I strongly recommend this game. It really is one of the best games I've ever played.

Last edited:
And Mario RPG's Timed Hits, which I can't believe is so rare- it seems like such a neat addition to any RPG that's otherwise sedate.
Maybe they can't? It's probably protected by copyright/trademark, just like the nemesis system from Shadow of War/Mordor.

Maybe they can't? It's probably protected by copyright/trademark, just like the nemesis system from Shadow of War/Mordor.
They're not. Off the top of my head they're also in Legend of Dragoon, Legrand Legacy, Earthbound, and Phantasy Star Online.

With a bit of internet searching, It appears they are also in Ar Tonelico 2, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta, the Paper Mario games, Phantasy Star Portable 1/2, Shadow Hearts series, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Summoner, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Bug Fables, Cris Tales, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Exist Archive, Indivisible, Fallen Legion, and a whole lot more.

They're not. Off the top of my head they're also in Legend of Dragoon, Legrand Legacy, Earthbound, and Phantasy Star Online.

With a bit of internet searching, It appears they are also in Ar Tonelico 2, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta, the Paper Mario games, Phantasy Star Portable 1/2, Shadow Hearts series, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Summoner, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Bug Fables, Cris Tales, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Exist Archive, Indivisible, Fallen Legion, and a whole lot more.
EDIT: Actually, you know what? Forget I ever mentioned that name. It doesn't deserve to be even in the same post as the games you named.

Anyone play Hardspace Shipbreaker?

Is it any good?

Do you like puzzles?

Does the idea of a game where the puzzle is figuring out how to dismantle a spaceship without it blowing up in your face appeal to you?

If your answer to the above questions is "no" than you probably won't like it, but otherwise, yes, it's pretty good.

I loved the gameplayloop, but hated the story. As in it made me stop playing. I dunno how other people liked it, but I despised it.

I should see about getting a mod for that if I ever feel like playing again. I didn't want to play sandbox mode. I need progression of some sort to enjoy a game.

Started Midnight Suns.

Pretty typical Marvel Movie Schlock so far for story, but it's got some pretty fun lines.

"Gozer?" Made me laugh pretty hard.

The battle system is... pretty odd. Slay The Spire style cards on a battlemap where position matters. Plus hero points you can use to do super moves, which is a pretty neat bit. Or spend them throwing bricks at people, which is more useful than you'd think.

Haven't gotten into the main gameplay loop yet, a lot of systems still to come.

So far we've met Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), Blade (He's amusing so far, the sarcastic ass, and I love his Bleed abilities), Nico Minoru (a witch I am not familiar with), Magik (Vaguely familiar with, demon wizard?), and Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes).

Johnny Blaze (original Ghost Rider) also showed up briefly in the opening mission, mostly to tell Tony and Strange to fuck off.

I really want Skull and Bones to be good because I haven't played any good pirate games recently, but closed beta players seem to be saying it's exactly the mediocre-at-best game that its development history said it was going to be. :(

I loved the gameplayloop, but hated the story. As in it made me stop playing. I dunno how other people liked it, but I despised it.

I should see about getting a mod for that if I ever feel like playing again. I didn't want to play sandbox mode. I need progression of some sort to enjoy a game.
Sadly, due to how the games is coded, it's easier to mod in entire new ships than add or remove dialog. The devs really wanted people to listen to the story, even though they got complaints about it constantly throughout early access and the change of VAs from members of the dev team to 'professional' VAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back