• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

War of the Seven Kings (Super Robot Wars with Code Geass, Muv Luv Alternative and more)

Ohhhhh, I am excited to see what you're cooking up.
Especially with the introduction of new LORE!

Yeah, just need to adapt it into the chapter then expand it.

And if one is interested in more lore from Muv Luv and about Yui's past I do recommend the Muv Luv Total Eclipse the Imperial Capital Burns VN from Steam, if you don't mind reading for a total of nine and a half hours XD.

Yeah, just need to adapt it into the chapter then expand it.

And if one is interested in more lore from Muv Luv and about Yui's past I do recommend the Muv Luv Total Eclipse the Imperial Capital Burns VN from Steam, if you don't mind reading for a total of nine and a half hours XD.
Thanks for the recommendation!
I personally do not mind the LORE dumping.
It's always entertaining for me to see the world-building really.
An author's flex of their creativity and imagination, that I love to read.

Thanks for the recommendation!
I personally do not mind the LORE dumping.
It's always entertaining for me to see the world-building really.
An author's flex of their creativity and imagination, that I love to read.

No prob.

Well as long as it flows smoothly with the rest of the chapter of course.

Thanks again I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah especially since there are fill in the blanks I need to take care of.

Thank you for the story.

Seeing as Claude has been providing the Muv-Luv Earth frankly absurd amounts of aid contingent on allying with Lelouch's faction in the upcoming 7 Kings' War, if the trend of "recruiting doomed timelines" continues this could be shaping up to be a rather dramatic Bokurano-esque showdown.

Each King commanding an entire Earth's worth of fully motivated military, with the full knowledge that defeat in the War results in the death of their planet/civilisation after Claude ceases her aid.
No prob, I am glad people are enjoying it.

Yeah and there are some kings and foes who don't need such generous donations either.

Yup or if the one who wins could doom everyone.
Was there something that prevented just folding enemy forces into your own after victory or even by diplomacy (which counts as victory anyway)?
Because that would still make them count as "winning side".
Of course there would be ones who wouldn't be agreeable anyway, but it would prevent Bokurano situation with any sensible group.

Was there something that prevented just folding enemy forces into your own after victory or even by diplomacy (which counts as victory anyway)?
Because that would still make them count as "winning side".
Of course there would be ones who wouldn't be agreeable anyway, but it would prevent Bokurano situation with any sensible group.

No there isn't and that could happen, but for Lelouch there are opportunities for him to gain more forces, I won't say too much on the matter to avoid spoilers, but he will have make sure he has the logistics and resources to support his own growing forces, which he'll have some good options for addressing for the short term that will be discussed in chapter sixteen and beyond.

Yeah there are going to be some who won't be agreeable or unwilling to join for one reason for another, like they don't want to be away from home and from a bunch of other reasons I could list out depending where these new forces Lelouch may incorporate into his own in the coming future.

Hmmmm the next chapter will be out this Thursday as planned, but something has been troubling me, my plans for Schwarzesmarken involvement in the story, which while I got a plan on how it begins and how it ends, but everything in the middle has a lot of question marks and given the unique challenges and limitations Lelouch will be forced to work under I was wondering if there was anyone familiar with the visual novel Schwarzesmarken, not the anime since a lot got cut out from it and Code Geass, that I could ask a few questions on to catch any potential issues in advance and etc. Or who Lelouch might need to aid him through it.

Unfortunately I only saw the anime so I can't help you, but just having the best girl Beatrix appear and instead of having to look at ugh Irisdina (bleegh) is fine :)

In that case, what would be an alternative past line that has no consequences with the present line in which Lelouch is currently?

Unfortunately I only saw the anime so I can't help you, but just having the best girl Beatrix appear and instead of having to look at ugh Irisdina (bleegh) is fine :)

That's a bummer, but it's fine. The VN does a lot more for Beatrix's character where the anime kinda butchered her character, enough for me to consider her for Lelouch's harem, but the question is would she be open to a second love with a man who has more than one romantic partner XD. It was one of many questions and ideas I had wanted to bounce off and explore the possibilities to see if it could work and be worth the effort?

In that case, what would be an alternative past line that has no consequences with the present line in which Lelouch is currently?

On paper it would mean Lelouch and company must restrict themselves to using TSFs common at the time (but under the hood they would be tuned up and given some stealth capabilities to help them move about as one idea if it's viable) hence why Lelouch learning to pilot machines outside of his Gundam would be important.

Avoiding battle with the BETA might be best in this case to prevent the BETA from adapting to their tactics too quickly which could be bad for the defenders.

Oh course this means they need to be careful of who they kill since their death could affect the future in either a good way or a bad way.

But this means too anyone meant to die, but surviving could complicate the future, meaning Lelouch might have to kill them, let history play out, or he takes them with him like Beatrix for example and maybe others.

The rest I am trying to work out and fine tune, but from what I've mentioned you guys can see the troubles and questions I am facing. I mean ideally they don't want to alter the past too much which can be dangerous even with good intentions so it's something Lelouch and co will need to be mindful of if they want to avoid any butterfly effects and the like.

War of the Seven Kings Ch9
A/N: Special thanks to Jameyofthemegacosmos, Icysnowsage, Darklord331, Silkdreamweaver (chief beta reader and editor) and our Gundam consultant and designer Redrat8. Greatkingrat88, and Seerking have also contributed to the development of this story. I had begun in-between projects since early last year.

Also I want to thank the game "The Imperial Capital Burns - Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse" for providing a LOT of fanfic fuel for this chapter and beyond, which you can get on Steam and I highly recommend the game if you plan on using Yui and her friends in any of your own Muv Luv stories. It just took me over nine hours to finish it. Its only sad the game didn't come out last year when I did these chapters, it didn't release until months later. (sulks in a corner at the missed opportunities, especially at the thought I could've done SO MUCH more for the early chapters).

Anyway (bounces back from being depressed), still I was able to make use of interesting bits from the game to enhance this chapter and add more to it than before. Especially with Yui comparing some things from Lelouch's world and hers, which before this chapter released I did check again and again if any thing knew on the exact status of stuff like the entertainment industry, and other things in Yui's world might've been updated in anyway since the chapter was made.

I do want to give thanks to Jameyofthemegacosmos for helping me ensure I got Yui right in this chapter, for reasons I don't want to spoil, but I think it also shows how Yui differs from Kallen, a fellow tsundere.

Enjoy the chapter.

Chapter 9

A Holiday Within a Day

Lelouch and Yui were both exasperated with Claude's antics, but at the same time Yui was undoubtedly curious about seeing Lelouch's world. She was less than thrilled about how that opportunity came about, especially when there was no warning.

"I can't believe Claude would pull a stunt like this," Yui grumbled.

"Does it surprise you?" Lelouch asked.

Yui needed only a second to consider her answer, "You're right, it doesn't surprise me. At least she didn't leave us in the same bed."

"Don't give her ideas," Lelouch warned.

"Right," Yui said, dreading that Claude might've heard that. "So what now?"

"It seems Claude left a package," Lelouch said, noticing a pink paper bag in the corner of his eye sitting atop his dresser.

"What did she leave me," Yui said in dreadful registration.

"There is a letter." Lelouch found a letter in a pink envelope on top of some folded clothes within the bag along with a watch-like device.

Opening the letter, Lelouch began reading its contents to Yui.

"Dear Lelouch and Yui, by now you are probably surprised to see Yui on Earth. Don't worry as long as she returns to the room by the end of the day to go to sleep, you'll both wake up back in your rooms on the base as normal. I just thought after everything you two had been through you deserve a little holiday and some time to spend together. From yours truly, Claude. P.S. enclosed are some clothes for Yui and a special advance watch to help mask her Japanese features to appear Britannian with a fake ID to avoid trouble," Lelouch said, finishing reading the letter.

"Would you hold it against me if I said I am actually worried about what Claude picked out," Yui asked, nervous.

"All things considered I can't blame you," Lelouch said, sighing. "You probably should change, if nothing else, if what Claude gave you isn't tasteful maybe I might have something that could fit instead."

"Right, thanks," Yui said, grateful for Lelouch's understanding.

"I'll leave and make sure Sayoko and Nunnally won't notice you are in my room, I would rather not have any misunderstandings," Lelouch said.

"I completely understand. I would rather not explain how I ended up in your room, let alone dealing with any misunderstandings from people discovering me in your room could cause," Yui said. A girl being found in a boy's room would raise a lot of questions, questions Yui would rather avoid answering.

"Thank you. If anyone is awake, I'll keep them in the kitchen and dining room."

"Right, so how do we explain this then," Yui suggested.

"I haven't told anyone else about my trips to your world, so we'll need a cover story," Lelouch said as he and Yui went to work developing a believable story.

Minutes later after Lelouch and Yui worked out a cover story, Lelouch took a change of clothes to freshen up and change into before making his way to the kitchen. Knowing by now Sayoko Shinozaki, their maid and caretaker, would likely be making breakfast, while Yui would wait twenty minutes before exiting Lelouch's room to knock on the door, ostensibly to meet up with Lelouch as a friend visiting.

It was a bit of a stretch, but it would be played up as Lelouch meeting a friend who was new to Tokyo he had met while gambling, which was technically true, to show them around the city who expressed curiosity about the school.

As agreed Lelouch emerged from the bathroom, having showered, and changed, where he proceeded to the kitchen.

"Good morning master Lelouch," a young Japanese woman of twenty-one spoke with short brown hair and matching eyes. She wore the traditional western maid attire consisting of a white apron, a matching hat, a black dress, black tights, shoes and a buttoned top.

"Good morning, Sayoko. Is Nunnally awake?"

"Yes she is. She awoke quite early so she is waiting for you in the dining room. Breakfast will be ready shortly," Sayoko said, kindly.

"Thank you. If you need help you can let me know."

"It won't be necessary, but thank you sir."

Leaving Sayoko to complete cooking breakfast, Lelouch made his way to the dining room where Nunnally was seated in her wheelchair at the head of the table. The thirteen-year-old girl, who looked notably different from her brother such that people could mistake them for being unrelated, possessed long sandy brown hair. Her eyes were a beautiful violet, but due to physical and psychological trauma she endured in the past, her eyes were closed and hidden away from the world. Wearing a yellow dress with long white poofy sleeves, Nunnally seemed unaware of Lelouch's presence yet a smile on her face suggested otherwise.

"Good morning brother," Nunnally said, greeting her brother.

"Morning Nunnally, did you sleep well?"

"Yes, I did, and I hope you did as well."

"I did, my time asleep was well spent I promise," Lelouch said, seemingly as a joke only known to him.

Meanwhile, Yui was waiting patiently for the time Lelouch suggested for her to come out and was looking out the window at the academy grounds. At a glance it seemed no different from the academy she and her friends attended, but the obvious difference was there was no sign of a training zone for TSFs or any flying in the nearby area.

A world without BETA, so this is what such a world feels like, Yui thought.

Aside from gazing out the window, Yui had mentally gone over the cover story the pair concocted together, using the false identity Claude had provided. She is Crystal Simmons, the story would be that Lelouch and she had met after Lelouch won a round of gambling via chess. She had challenged Lelouch, and unlike his previous foes Yui had put up a far better fight until Lelouch bested her. As it would turn out the girl had just arrived from the Britannian Homeland and like Lelouch sought challenges in games of chess leading to the pair meeting, finding a worthy opponent in the other. He offered to show her around Area 11, and Ashford Academy, under the pretense of considering her own enrollment Lelouch offered to show her around the campus.

I don't mind the opportunity to get a closer look at Lelouch's world, but why did Claude do this? She could've just asked, and I would've said yes, Yui said, as her eyebrow twitched with irritation.

"I have a feeling that are thinking, why did I allow you a chance to check out his world? Is that right?"

Yui spun around to see Claude sitting on Lelouch's bed smiling mischievously.

"What are you up to," Yui snapped, pointing an accusing finger at the pink haired woman.

"Nothing, other than giving you and Lelouch some alone time together and maybe a chance to finally meet his sister."

"Uh huh," Yui said, eyeing Claude suspiciously.

"Why must you be so on guard around me," Claude said with a dramatic sigh.

"Do you really want me to list why?" Yui replied with a deadpan expression.

"Oh ok, be like that," Claude said, waving her right hand dismissively. "But I do hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to get closer to Lelouch, because I really think you two make a cute couple."

Yui said nothing, but her suspicions of Claude ran high.

"Especially since you don't want any other girls getting Lelouch right?" Claude asked with a sly smile.

"And why are you so concerned about his love life?"

"Well I am curious to see who he ends up with, mostly because it will be something fun to see unfold," Claude replied, but when she saw Yui about to lash in anger she threw a verbal hand grenade at her. "Besides, did you know polygamy is legal in Britannia?"

"Huh!" Yui asked, face flushing pink, as the subject's sudden change caught her off guard.

"Surprising isn't it, but I guess you can partly thank the sorry state the British Empire was in when its remnants fled to their American Colonies after losing the British Islands to Napoleon," Claude mused. "As long as you got the finances to afford having more than one wife and the kids that would come from that, you could marry as many wives as you want."

"But we're sixteen!?"

"I know. I wasn't expecting you and Lelouch to get hitched now. But it's something to keep in mind since as someone who can move forward and backwards in time I've seen all of the possible ways Lelouch's journey could go. I know he does cause some girls to fall for him, so you'll have competition in the future," Claude replied with a grin.

"Lelouch isn't some kind of playboy!?"

"No he isn't, but don't tell me you're not attracted to that brooding, devious and cunning audacity. His ice prince looks and that tragic backstory tugging at the heartstrings," Claude explained as she clasped her hands together dramatically.

Yui's cheeks took on a bright shade of pink before reddening in anger, which only caused Claude's grin to grow bigger.

"If you think about it, Lelouch is a chick magnet without even trying, which is scary in a way. The more he plays up the ice prince, the more people become curious and some girls become infatuated with him."

"And!?"

"Why I think he's already hooked a few without knowing it, and trust me it's just the beginning," Claude said grinning deviously.

And you Miss Takamura got Shimako who is full on lesbian for you, Claude thought, deviously.

Yui reached her limit and attempted to punch Claude, but only hit a human-sized, inflatable dummy of Claude with a cartoonish grin, which recoiled at the punch before launching forward to smack Yui in the face and knock her back.

"Did someone forget I control time, so I can easily freeze it and replace myself with a dummy?"

Claude vanished, but her fading laughter at Yui only caused the girl to seethe in anger.

"One day I'll make you sorry for all the times you mocked me," Yui said, trying to restrain her anger.

Sometime later, Lelouch had just finished helping Sayoko set up for breakfast. Lelouch had warned Sayoko he had helped out someone and to have extra in case they arrived. Sayoko acknowledged this, but said nothing further, seemingly content to allow things to unfold.

"Breakfast is ready," Sayoko said to Nunnally as she and Lelouch finished setting the table.

"What is for breakfast today?" Nunnally inquired.

"I thought we would do something easy and simple for today, Pancakes, sausages and scrambled eggs," Sayoko replied.

"That's wonderful," Nunnally said, in a good mood.

Lelouch made himself a serving of food while Sayoko made Nunnally's plate. A short time after the trio began eating, a knock came at the door, prompting Sayoko to answer it. As planned Yui was waiting on the other side.

"Hello, is there a Lelouch Lamperouge living here?" Yui asked, politely. For her disguise she was now wearing a pink high collar coat with black buttons, a black shirt underneath and blue jeans with white sneakers.

"Why yes and you are?"

"Crystal Simmons, I was told I could find him here," Yui said, using the fake name, as the holographic disguise masked her Japanese features.

Sayoko was silent for a moment before replying, "Yes I'll inform him that you are here."

Yui sighed internally, relieved that the maid didn't challenge the hastily fabricated story. She tried to mask it well, but she was nervous. Part of it was that she didn't like the deception as a whole, but she acknowledged it was necessary given the circumstances.

Moments later, Sayoko returned with Lelouch who greeted the "new arrival" warmly.

"Oh I wasn't expecting you this early," Lelouch said, feigning surprise.

"I am terribly sorry, but I got here much sooner than I had expected. The directions you gave were perhaps too useful," Yui said, embarrassed by the charade they had to put up. She hated the act, which was much worse than the embarrassment she felt.

I am glad this seems to be working as Lelouch was hoping it would, Yui thought internally as she felt a hint of anger she was trying to keep tucked away, directed at a certain pink haired woman. I just know she is enjoying this somehow.

"I can come back later if that works better for you?" Yui offered.

"If Sayoko doesn't mind, you could join us for breakfast." Lelouch said.

"Not at all, since you informed me that we would have extra company." Sayoko said, overhearing the pair.

"Thank you Sayoko," Lelouch replied, grateful everything was going according to plan. "This is a perfect opportunity for you to meet my sister Nunnally."

"Brother who was it?"

"Just a new friend I made. Crystal, this is my sister Nunnally." Lelouch introduced the two girls to one another.

"It's nice to meet you Crystal, I am glad to see my brother making more friends," Nunnally replied.

"Thank you and it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Now that introductions are done, should we enjoy breakfast together?" Lelouch suggested.

Following a hearty breakfast, Lelouch and Sayoko cleaned up the plates and dishes while Nunnally and Yui chatted together in the living room. Once Lelouch and Sayoko were done, the four planned to go their separate ways for the day.

"I am sorry that I can't tag along," Nunnally said, regretfully.

"It can't be helped, you have a doctor's appointment to attend," Lelouch replied as he looked at Sayako.

"I'll make sure Nunnally makes it back safely once she is done. I am sure you two might have another chance to talk more later." Sayoko noticed how Nunnally and Yui had been getting on impressively well in such a short time.

"I could come by later. I would just need to check on a few things," Yui said, reassuringly.

"Ok. I'll see you both later," Nunnally said, waving farewell as Lelouch and Yui left, leaving Sayoko to prepare Nunnally to take her to her doctor's appointment.

Once Yui and Lelouch were certain they were out of earshot, Yui broke the silence.

"Was this how everyday is for you? Lying about who you are and masking yourself?"

"Yes," Lelouch admitted without hesitation. "There are things I can't share with Nunnally."

"About your future goals?"

"Correct and especially now with what I am doing? Even if she believed me, I can't imagine she would accept it," Lelouch acknowledged. "I don't enjoy it, but at least now it feels like I am actually living my life."

"What do you mean?"

"You've only had a taste of what I had to endure daily, but for me, I've had to do it for six years. Lying to everyone about who I am, and keeping secrets from the only family I have wasn't all. It's like living a life that is more akin to a cage. One without any walls, but the chains were real. The chains of having to conform to survive.. It would've been a slow death." Lelouch explained. Yui said nothing, allowing Lelouch to elaborate further. "I wanted to bring down Britannia, avenge what was done to my sister and my mother, and create a world where Nunnally could find happinesses, but…"

"How would you even accomplish that? Is that the question you kept asking?"

"Exactly," Lelouch said before adding, as the pair walked down the stairs. "There were many questions I had to address before I could make such moves. After much research on the essentials I would need for my goals I did develop plans, but they would need time to make them happen. So until then I had to wait and endure living a lie. Something that was only possible because the Ashford Family sheltered us, but the potential threat of being sold out to rivals seeking the throne always hung over our heads."

"Thankfully that never happened," Yui commented.

"No it hasn't, which I think it's mostly because we have no value to anyone after we were declared dead. We are useful as liability insurance if things didn't go well for the Ashford Family. They had to relocate to Japan after losing almost everything to a chain of unfortunate events that befell them."

"I recall you telling me part of it was your mother's death as the Ashford Family supported her as Empress?"

"That is correct, and the other was their Knightmare Frame production efforts flattering following both their inability to further develop their only successful prototype, the Ganymede, and excessive spending by the head of the family at the time, bankrupting them. Losing their titles of nobility was almost the final blow, but Rubern Ashford did have his fair share of useful connections that allowed him to build this academy and offer education services as a new business to survive. They regained a fair amount of wealth, but nowhere near what they had at their height," Lelouch explained.

"Sounds like it was quite the fall from grace, but did they only save the children of the one they backed just to save their own skins?" Yui said, sickened by the reasons behind the Ashford Family's motivations for helping Lelouch and Nunnally.

"Ruben, I think, had some less selfish desires in taking us in, but control of the family has fallen to his son and his wife who represent everything I despise about the nobility. If it would suit them I am sure they would sell me and Nunnally out, just as I've heard they are trying to marry off their daughter to a wealthy member of nobility."

"No wonder you were willing to accept Claude's proposal, despite your obvious reservations," Yui said, trying to grasp how living under such conditions was like for Lelouch.

"I still don't trust her, but what she is offering would advance my plans and goals by years. I have no idea if the Ashford Family will sell us out or if our true identities could one day be discovered, putting Nunnally and I at great risk…"

"You had to take the chance."

"Yes, despite, as you said, my reservations about her offer. It was too good to ignore, but it's all the more reason I think we should both exercise caution around her."

"I completely agree with you, but if I may ask, how is the daughter of the current leader of the Ashford Family? Milly, if I'm remembering correctly. I think you mentioned a few times that she is different from her parents."

Lelouch could only sigh, "Yes, she is very different from them. So much so that I even question if she is even their daughter. She is obviously very free spirited and hates all of the arranged marriages they kept setting up and she is not even seventeen yet. But…she is…how do I say this…eccentric?"

"Eccentric?" Yui said, tittling her head to one side in confusion.

"Long story short, let's just say she has some very wild ideas when it comes to school events and to quote one friend, has the mind of a dirty old man."

"That sounds worrying," Yui said, feeling uneasy. "But wait…school events?"

"Right," Lelouch said, realizing there was one detail he needed to add. "She is the Student Council President, she replaced the last one who graduated and after this year I think the rest of the council will graduate too. They are already planning elections for those who will replace them, so all they do is plan school events and set up the budgets each of the school clubs will have for each month."

"Oh I see, we never had one of those in my school," Yui said, clearly curious about what kind of events they planned.

"No event like school dances, carnival events or even school clubs like horseback riding or swimming?" Lelouch asked, to which Yui shook her head in response.

"There was only one club at Yamayuri Girls Surface Pilot Academy, yes, but mostly those related to TSF or military training, such as the Armored Kendo Club at my old school," Yui replied. "Based off of Armored Fencing, based around elements of kendo, descended from kenjutsu."

"Use of bamboo swords and armor, that was kendo as I knew it?" Lelouch said, recalling his friend Suzaku, having once demonstrated kendo when he faced his teacher. But they used the armor mostly to keep Suzaku from getting hurt during sparring matches. Naturally Lelouch recalled too that Suzaku was being trained in kenjutsu as well, incorporating Kendo as they went so he could perform better in sparring matches where the armor was necessary to avoid injury since his teacher, Mr. Tohdou wasn't afraid to pull his punches when necessary.

"Similar, but not that all different from Armored Fencing overall."

Armored Fencing, yes I recall you telling me about that, Lelouch thought, but from what Yui told him it didn't seem too different from kendo and kenjutsu at a glance, but more was incorporated.

Armored Fencing was a comprehensive close quarters combat martial art, created by the Royal Guard for surface pilot training curriculum used widely throughout Japan. It's a mixture of jujutsu, aikido and karate using a resin training sword that replicates the weight balance of the Type-74 melee blade used by Japanese TSFs. Students would wear protective gear during training, the armor itself being more heavy duty than those used in kendo. Mastery of Armored Fencing was critical for advancing through TSF training, as training in this art was meant to be translated through to the TSF via the brainwave interface developing potentially life-saving close quarters combat skills. Since using firearms in close quarter combat situations against the swarms of BETA ran the risk of friendly fire incidents.

As an added bonus Armored Fencing would give cadets such as Yui and her friends, a taste of high-speed close quarters combat would be like, helping them to get more familiar with it. Training was carried out in usually teams of four vs four or four against two veteran instructors, to build teamwork and coordination during combat. How you function as a team was also part of your grade that decided if you became a surface pilot or not.

Lelouch remembered Yui telling him that some Royal Houses had devised their own styles of Armored Fencing, such as Yui's family Jigen-ryu style, which put an emphasis on landing the first strike. A style, Yui's father had taught her to use before going to the academy, at least during times where he was home long enough to do so.

I've inherited that part of Yui's training through the coupling system without realizing it until basic training and that mock battle, Lelouch realized, Yui's Armored Fencing training was recorded as muscle memory for him.

He would need to train more to really make use of it, something he would need to ask Yui about later if time allows.

"Well I guess today you'll be experiencing some new things then," Lelouch said, knowing that Yui's world was very different from his.

He knew they didn't have much in the same way of entertainment as they did, possessing no video games, movies or television shows of the short. He supposed, given her goal to become a TSF pilot, high school was replaced with a military academy, likely a very strict one from what Lelouch had gathered during previous conversations.

"I suppose we can begin in the city, and then…" Lelouch was saying as he and Yui neared the double doors that made up the exit of the two story building they were in.

But as Lelouch reached for the door, it was opened by someone on the other side.

Oh damn it!

Lelouch cursed internally at the person on the other side. She was a year older than he was with shoulder-length blonde hair, blue eyes and a fair skin complexion. She wore a beige jacket over a white dress shirt, a green tie, a black skirt with black shoes and green socks.

"Oh Lelouch there you are, I am glad I caught you," the blonde haired girl said smiling before a mischievous grin replaced it upon seeing Yui. "Who's your friend?"

"My name is Crystal Simmons," Yui replied, showing her visitor's pass. "Lelouch was just showing me around."

"A shame you didn't ask for me, I am Milly Ashford, the Student Council President," Milly introduced herself, before giving a pouting expression. "If you were interested in enrolling I could've given you a tour, unless Lelouch finally got a girlfriend!?"

"Milly, I am sixteen. I am a little young for that," Lelouch replied with a deadpan expression.

"Maybe, but the best relationships start early and are built up from a young age," Milly replied waving her right index finger at Lelouch.

"Whatever," Lelouch said brushing the comment aside with a dismissive hand wave. "I am going to be busy today showing Crystal around Ashford Academy then the rest of the city."

"Well why don't I take care of that and we can talk about your new job," Milly replied with a smile.

"New job?"

"Yup, you're going to be Student Council Vice President," Milly announced.

"WHAT!" Yui and Lelouch exclaimed.

Lelouch quickly regained his composure. "I didn't even apply for it, don't you have to be elected?"

"Actually only the position of president requires an election among the students. The president chooses who fills the other positions," Milly replied with a matter-of-fact tone.

"Ok, but why me?"

"Because as you know it's required for all students to be part of a club or the student council. Since none of the clubs interest you, and being on the student council doesn't ask for much beyond setting up budgets for the other clubs and planning events, it could work for you," Milly answered with a confident smile. "And you're one of the smartest students in school so you are perfect, so you're more than qualified in my book."

Lelouch didn't have much of a counter-argument, except for the fact he was likely to be very busy soon. He did consider bringing it up, but Lelouch didn't want to have Milly probing the matter too much until he knew more about what kind of cover story Claude was fashioning for him.

"I see your point, but I assume this takes place once the rest of the current council graduates?"

"That's right," Milly chimed, clearly in a good mood. "Now then, since you are clearly interested in the academy. How about I give you the tour instead?"

"Uh sure," Yui agreed, thinking that saying no could cause some unwanted issues.

Lelouch could only quietly groan. He hoped Milly wouldn't turn what should've been a simple tour into something over the top.

Meanwhile in another facility in the northwestern corner of the nation, Kyoko had arrived to inspect a second vessel akin to the Takarabune, but the ship's coloring was different being a dark blue with gold and black. However when Kyoto arrived at the platform overlooking the ship in the hidden construction yard where it had been built, there was someone waiting for her.

"Hello Kyoko."

The man greeting her was around her age with medium-length dark silver hair with icy blue eyes, wearing the blue and gold uniform belonging to a head of one the four regent families. Kyoko recognized the man instantly, having known him for a long time due to her own position. Takatsugu Ikaruga, the head of the Ikaruga Family of the four regent families.

"Major Ikaruga," Kyoto replied.

"At ease Kyoko, no need for ranks here. But tell me what you think of your new ship?" Takatsugu asked, pointing at the newly completed vessel. "The second of our new Takarabune-class, the Hachiman."

"Named for Hachiman Daimyōjin, the Shinto god of war and agriculture, the divine protector of the Minamoto clan," Kyoko said, recognizing the meaning of the ship's namesake.

"Exactly, and you will be her commander once the crew is ready and you have chosen pilots to take ownership of the Minamoto Units aboard."

"I thought there was only one ship?"

Takatsugu couldn't help but laugh, but quickly regained his composure.

"You didn't seriously think we would give our only advance ship to a foreign teenager, no matter how capable, would you?" Takatsugu said before explaining. "Claude was generous enough to give all the materials and means needed to build at least five ships, the Takarabune is just the first of the line. The other three ships are the Bishamonten, Futsunushi, and the Takeminakata, each being built at facilities similar to this one. I'll be taking command of the Takeminakata once it is finished, but the last two will take time before they are completed."

"What of the crews for them, we are just having a hard time finding a full crew for Takarabune?" Kyoko asked.

"Yes that remains to be an unfortunate problem which will delay their launches, but we are doing our best to find people to fill the needed positions," Takatsugu said with a hint of mild annoyance.

"Is that the purpose of this conversation?"

"Hardly, but I did want to brag a little. The United States has become quite jealous of our successes in not just defending Kyoto, but the performance and combat power of the new machines. Already we are receiving requests for secret talks with other nations, it seems many are tired of the US holding superiority with the UN and global policy especially when it comes to the BETA," Takatsugu said with a smile. "I am looking forward to the kind of ripples upcoming events will cause."

"So we're just posturing right now."

"Far from it, but if Claude's information about upcoming events is accurate, it would do well for us to use this to strengthen Japan's diplomatic ties with other nations and increase our growing political clout too."

"The next target of the BETA will be Sadogashima, but we'll need to watch our eastern flank. So I am asking that you take this ship and your squad to help. Your cousin Yui and some of her friends will command a platoon from within their new machines to defend key points of the defensive line. Hopefully we can hold back the BETA if they attempt to change their strategy."

"Then who will be sent to…"

"Lelouch and his squad, provided there are no unforeseen changes with the situation at Suez and here. I'll be overseeing the battle personally from the Takarabune as its temporary commander and observer. However I'll be arranging for Lieutenant Yamashiro to work with Lelouch as insurance. The US has reassured us they'll deploy four squads of TSF and send two cruisers to provide range support," Takatsugu said, interrupting Kyoko.

Before Kyoko could say something else, Takatsugu cut her off.

"Why not your cousin Yui? It seems we are of the same mind. Keeping those two close would be beneficial, since I think we should consider arranging a marriage between them," Takatsugu interrupted Kyoko again as she tried to speak up. "Yes I am aware of Lelouch's background, so I doubt he and possibly Yui would accept such an arrangement. But I think we could encourage it with some time and patience, and maybe introduce some potential competition. The important thing is we should focus on tying Lelouch to us with something stronger than an alliance of convenience, and marriage with someone notable from the other houses would be ideal."

Kyoko wanted to say something, but she knew Takatsugu would bulldoze any counterargument she tried to make.

Takatsugu has always been like this, this is why I don't like dealing with him. But I am worried about Lelouch and Yui now, and who else was he planning to introduce to him as competition?

"So what do you think so far," Milly asked, as the group stood outside a stadium-like complex, as their tour guide had her hands on her hips.

"It's quite the impressive school," Yui remarked, while behind her was a wary Lelouch, who was on guard for whatever mischief Milly might be planning.

It was reassuring that Milly wasn't a malicious person by nature, but Lelouch knew Milly couldn't help herself when it came to teasing others or having some fun at their expense. Even then Lelouch knew from their past interactions he would be unwise to lower his guard around her, especially since he didn't want to reveal anything that could give Milly anything she could use, or expose something she doesn't need to know.

Milly Ashford had a worrying, yet an impressive, knack for getting what she wants out of people.

"Wonderful, so I hope you'll consider attending," Milly said, clasping her hands together with a hopeful smile on her face. "After all, outside of Lelouch the Student Council still needs some more willing members."

Aware that he might regret asking, Lelouch asked to take some of the pressure off Yui.

"Who have you managed to rope onto the Student Council?"

"A few people so far," Milly said, then as if on cue those people showed up.

"Ma'am President," a young girl called out as she approached the group, she was around the same age as Yui and Lelouch.

The girl had long orange hair, yellowish green eyes wearing the same uniform as Milly.

"I am not President, not yet, allow me to introduce Shirley Fenette," Milly replied with a smile.

"Oh Lelouch it's you, and who is this," Shirley said, joining the group with a folder filled with papers tucked under her left arm.

"This is Crystal Simmons, Lelouch's new friend he made recently, she is interested in attending here," Milly said, quick to handle introductions for Yui. "Shirley here is going to be the treasurer for the council, but she has already joined the Swim Club and the Gymnastics Club."

"Hello nice to meet you," Shirley said with a warm smile, offering her free hand to Yui, who returned it.

"Yes, likewise it's nice to meet you too," Yui replied.

"So how do you know each other?" Shirley asked, glancing at Lelouch before looking at Yui.

"Apparently they met during one of Lelouch's chess games," Milly said, causing Shirley to glance with disapproval in his eyes, akin to a parent.

"Oh how many times have I said you shouldn't be gambling?!"

"Sorry, but the money is good," Lelouch replied, while Yui had a suspicion that this was not the first time they talked about the former prince's gambling habits.

I knew he partook of gambling in underground chess matches, but I guess it must've been more frequent than I believed, Yui thought.

While she didn't approve of Lelouch's gambling hobby either, unlike Shirley, Yui was aware of one reason why Lelouch likely resorted to gambling. Outside of whatever motivations and reasons for gambling, one thing she was sure of is that given the risks of his identity being found out Lelouch couldn't take a normal part time job like anyone his age would.

Since he has kept the same first name he used as a prince, that probably has its own risks too, Yui thought, wondering why Nunnally and Lelouch didn't change their first names when they adopted new identities?

"Besides I likely won't be gambling anymore, I've found a more challenging opponent," Lelouch said with a knowing smile, Yui was the only one who knew the truth behind that.

"Really now, mind sharing buddy," Rivalz said, throwing an arm around Lelouch's shoulder.

"Nah, this wouldn't be a game none of you would be interested in, but its nothing illegal I promise," Lelouch said with a smile.

I think the legality of the game and your ultimate goal might be debatable, Lelouch, Yui thought, keeping a straight face and her thoughts to herself.

"Well thank goodness you've given it up," Shirley said, pleased with this news.

If only she knew what Lelouch was really doing.

"Oh you sound like a wife praising her husband," Milly said, with a grin.

"Come on Milly, not this again," Shirley replied, with a flustered expression.

Lelouch quietly gestured to Yui to follow him, slipping away as Milly and Shirley were busy talking. Rivalz was the only one who saw them leave, which only caused a small smile to appear on his face.

Well buddy do I get the feeling you and that girl are more than friends?

Entering the school main building, Lelouch led Yui to a service elevator, once they were inside Lelouch entered in some codes before the elevator began descending.

"I am sorry you got caught up in that," Lelouch said, apologizing after a sigh.

"You couldn't have seen that coming, but that Milly is quite something isn't she?"

"She's a handful, and I can't believe she intends to make me Vice-President," Lelouch said, his annoyance was noticeable in his expression and tone.

"Probably a good administrative decision on her part," Yui acknowledged with one hand under her chin.

"True, but with her I am sure there will be more work involved."

"I see," Yui said, before deciding to ask a question as the elevator stopped. "By the way, where are we going?"

"There is something I wish to show you, and something I am curious about," Lelouch said, as the elevator doors opened. "But to answer where we are going, we're taking this elevator down to the sewer system that runs below the academy, which also connects to the series of interlocking layers that form the Tokyo Settlement."

"Layers?" Yui asked, curious.

"These layers are interconnecting plates which Ashford Academy and much of the city is built upon, which allows for highways, sewers and more to be built."

"They built over Tokyo is what you are implying?" Yui asked, realizing something in Lelouch's statement.

"Yes, apparently it was less costly to build over the demolished city than simply rebuilding it all from the ground up," Lelouch replied, shocking Yui as she continued to follow Lelouch as the latter led her through a maze of passageways in the sewers below the academy. "However the interlocking plates are useful for weathering Earthquakes and other natural disasters, as they can be removed in such a event."

"These plates have something to do with where we are going?"

"Exactly, as a result of how the Settlement is structured, there are many underground spaces that go unused, like this one," Lelouch said as he and Yui arrived at metal door, locked by a keypad.

Entering a code, the door opened, Lelouch allowed Yui to walk in first as a gentleman would before turning on the lights once he entered the room. In one corner of the room were a stack of boxes, but what caught Yui's attention was some kind of machine in front of her. It towered at least ten feet high or more, sitting on some kind of rotating stand with mechanical parts to allow what seemed to be a cockpit to move around. There was a step ladder off to the side that led to the cockpit, which only reinforced the idea to Yui.

Then it dawned on her, what it was.

"Is that a simulator for a Knightmare Frame?"

"Yes, I managed to get it from the black market a few months before I met Claude. Getting it was easy, but having it brought down here was a different story while covering it up," Lelouch replied, impressed that Yui deduced what it was.

"You've been training with this in secret?"

"Yes, since most battles involve Knightmare Frames, I knew it would be necessary for me to use one. So when I learned of this simulator on the black market, I acquired it. All of the money I earned from those chess matches helped cover all of the costs easily," Lelouch said with a proud smirk. "Did you want to give it a try? My highest rank when I last used it was B."

"Sure, I am curious myself actually," Yui said, knowing that part of the reason Lelouch was showing her this simulator was because he was curious to see what she got from him.

How well he could pilot a Knightmare Frame could provide proof that the skill and experience of using the simulator was shared during the times they used the Coupling System for training.

"Alright," Lelouch said, climbing up the ladder to open the cockpit, as a pilot seat slid out allowing anyone on the ladder to climb on. "Give me a second."

Lelouch climbed into the pilot chair, using a keyboard, likely to program conditions and training for the simulator. It took him a few minutes, but once he was done, Lelouch got out of the chair before descending down the ladder.

"It's ready for you, I've set you up with your own profile to use when you use the simulator to keep track of her grades for each simulation program," Lelouch said, gesturing for the cockpit chair.

"Alright," Yui said, before ascending the ladder to enter the cockpit.

Lelouch took position before a computer terminal, which allowed instructors to monitor the simulation. Of course, could've programmed the simulation from this terminal, but he didn't want Yui to know what he had in mind to test her.

Meaning he didn't want her to know he had set the simulation to scale up the difficulty through the simulated battle she would face.

Let's see how you handle something that operates differently from a TSF or a mobile suit? Lelouch thought, looking forward to Yui's performance.

Inside the cockpit, Yui was familiarizing herself with the controls, immediately noticing the difference in how a Knightmare Frame operated.

"No brainwave headset, and simplified controls huh," Yui said, muttering to herself before using a console to see what weapons she had available. "Ok, so for weapons I have an assault rifle with a built-in grenade launcher, slash harkens that can act as grappling hooks, and elbow–mounted tonfas."

Pushing a button, and grabbing the control sticks, the simulation began.

Lelouch probably put in some kind of scaling difficulty, Yui thought, suspecting the simulation would get more difficult the longer it went on.

The simulation opened to the Glasgow being deployed from the air onto a clearing within a forest with some pathways for the Knightmare Frame to use. Although she had expected to experience some familiarity with the controls due to the experience shared via the Coupling System, Yui was surprised by how quickly she grasped controlling the Knightmare Frame. As if it was second nature to her, Yui sped her Glasgow Knightmare Frame through the forest path, before coming upon some tanks once she cleared the forest and saw them in an open plain.

Weaving to the sides to evade their fire, Yui used the Glasgow's slash harkens to destroy one of the tanks when in range before repeating the process to systematically wipe them out. It took her only a few minutes before the ten tanks were eliminated, without sustaining any damage.

Best to save that assault rifle for later, Yui reasoned, aware it had limited ammunition.

Following the path ahead, Yui's Glasgow reached a fortified position, but tanks weren't her only foe, this time four Glasgows were advancing towards her while the eight tanks remained in the rear at the fortified line providing support fire. But that wasn't all, attack helicopters were moving in ready to support the enemy Glasgows.

Weaving to the sides like before to evade the tanks, but the helicopters would be more dangerous so Yui dealt with them first. Using her assault rifle, she shot down the helicopters before engaging the Glasgows in close quarters. Hoping the tanks wouldn't fire on their own, Yui dodged the enemy Glasgow's assault rifle shots before using a slash harken to take off the head of the nearest Glasgow. Unfortunately her effort to behead a second was deflected by the enemy using its own slash harken to block it.

Using one of its elbow-mounted tonfa, Yui knocked the assault rifle from the hand of the Glasgow before it could take aim and fire, but the third Glasgow had moved into attack range. Noticing the danger in time, Yui got behind the second Glasgow, whose weapon had been knocked from its hands. Unfortunately for the second Glasgow its companion fired, shooting his own ally.

Ranged weapons are ill-advised in close quarters, Yui thought, recalling the lessons of her instructor from the academy.

Yui didn't give the third enemy Glasgow a chance to recover and attack again, this time charging it and punching its head off with its free hand. The last Glasgow, joined the battle attacking with a hail of bullets from its assault rifle. But, to complicate things, six more enemy Glasgows emerged from the forest attempting to flank Yui from behind in a surprise attack.

An idea came to mind, as Yui aimed the Assault Rifle at the tanks, firing the grenade launcher, but oddly it missed its mark landing behind the tanks. Yui smiled as the tanks began to panic fire, hitting the one Glasgow, Yui was keeping at a distance to pull off her plan. She rushed at the others, firing her assault rifle, taking down two before the last two broke away trying to perform a pincer against her.

However, Yui drew close to one, using a tonfa to knock its weapon from its hand. The enemy Glasgow deflected Yui's follow up attack with its own tonfa, but Yui dispatched the enemy Knightmare Frame, using her slash harkens at point blank range to disable an arm while another took its head off.

Using the defeated Glasgow as a shield, Yui attacked the last enemy, shooting its chest into Swiss chess forcing the cockpit block to be ejected. Then all that was left was to mop up the enemy tanks.

"That didn't seem too bad," Yui said, unaware the simulation wasn't over yet.

In the corner of her eye, Yui saw a squadron of planes approaching to begin a bombing run. Understanding the danger, Yui fled the area, before navigation prompts on her screen appeared, directing her to the next phase of the simulation.

Reaching the edge of the forest Yui entered into an urban area, but this time she noticed two enemy Glasgows ahead of her, firing their assault rifles. As she veered down another street to evade she came face to face with a third Glasgow, waiting to ambush her. Luckily Yui was faster, disarming the enemy Knightmare Frame before disabling it with a blow from its tonfa. Yui didn't stop, fearing she was being surrounded, but she made sure to move behind the disabled Glasgow as it fell back to use it as a brief shield just in case.

Then she sharply turned and sped down another street, which was a good move as bullets came flying that would've hit her back. She turned her Glasgow around, opening fire on a pair of Glasgows that had likely chased after her in pursuit. Ducking down another street, Yui attacked another Glasgow that had been moving to attack her, getting the jump on the simulated enemy before they could attack. But that used up the last bullets in her rifle, so Yui was in trouble when another Glasgow arrived.

Firing her slash harken, Yui missed, but quickly retracted the slash harken causing a portion of the wall to be ripped out striking the back of the enemy Glasgow's head and its cockpit taking it out. That wasn't intended, but Yui seemed fine with the outcome.

With the assault rifle now empty, Yui tossed the weapon aside before taking the assault rifle used by the downed Glasgow.

Heading down the street, Yui attacked another Glasgow she spotted around a corner, finding three more Glasgows who opened fire on her. Using the street corner to protect herself, Yui fired, downing one enemy Knightmare Frame before slipping down another street, but instead of flanking them she waited in ambush, suspecting they would pursue her.

So when they came around the corner she gunned them down.

Suddenly the words appeared on her screen: "Simulation Complete."

"Well she did far better than expected," Lelouch mused having watched the simulation, although he wasn't surprised that Yui succeeded he was surprised at how it happened. "I guess she managed to translate her skills of piloting a TSF into piloting a Knightmare Frame. If time allows, maybe I should try the simulator myself and see if there is any change in my skills."

It didn't take long for Yui to exit the simulator cockpit.

"So how did I do?"

Lelouch gave a knowing smile, "You exceeded my expectations, you got the highest rank, an A+."

"Its certainly different from piloting a TSF, but yet it all felt second nature to me."

"I suppose we could say your skills with piloting a TSF has meshed together with handing a Knightmare Frame," Lelouch complimented, intrigued by this outcome.

"So what now?" Yui asked, stretching her arms.

"We can explore this Japan if you like, but I should warn you. You'll see a lot of things I have no doubt that will make you angry and offend you, even if this Japan isn't yours," Lelouch said, adopting a more serious expression.

"I know, I have no doubt there will be some things that will upset me. But to avoid complicating things for you and your sister, I'll try to keep my feelings in check."

"Alright, but if you need to go someplace private to vent, don't hesitate to ask," Lelouch said, to which Yui agreed with a nod.

Using the sewers passageways to quietly leave Ashford Academy, Lelouch and Yui began their exploration of the city. For a time they walked in silence, blending in with everyone else walking pass them, which Yui thought seemed no different than when she was attending the academy in Kyoto. As the silence became somewhat unbearable, Yui turned to Lelouch asking.

"I will say your school is different from the academy I went to. I didn't imagine it would have so many clubs like horseback riding, science, baking, chess and so much more. But whose idea was it to allow for the Fantasy Seduction Club?"

Lelouch merely gave Yui a knowing look.

"Oh right Milly was involved," Yui replied, which Lelouch nodded in confirmation.

"Her ideas for events are quite odd from what I've heard. I am not sure how the current council is handling it," Lelouch admitted.

"Should I ask?"

"No, I believe not," Lelouch replied. As they walked Yui saw something that drew her attention.

"Lelouch, what is that?"

"That would be an arcade?" Lelouch replied, as the pair stood outside a video game arcade with many machines visible through the windows.

"Uh, what's an arcade?"

"It's a place where usually young children or people around our age would go and play video games and other games such as basketball throwing, simulators, dancing games, and much more depending on the establishment and what they offer." Lelouch explained.

"I see," Yui said, clearly curious.

"Would you like to try some?"

"Uh I don't know, but I would like to observe," Yui said, uncertain if she could play any of them.

Lelouch grinned, "Very well."

The pair walked inside the arcade and looking around, Lelouch spotted an occupied game console, which was a shooting game involving zombies. After buying some tokens, Lelouch began his demonstration as he put in some tokens.

"Most games like these you just aim and shoot, then shoot away from the screen to reload. You win by keeping the enemies from getting too close until the end," Lelouch explained before demonstrating how the game was played.

Lelouch's training in firearms as part of his hellish training regime under Marimo was beneficial allowing him to perform very well at the game. By the time it was over, Lelouch had won, earning a high score.

"Well done, so there are other games like these?"

"Yes, some will have you be a cowboy from the Wild West fighting against bandits, or a soldier fighting on a battlefield. Sometimes aliens, but nothing like the BETA," Lelouch replied.

"I see, and the people are really enjoying themselves."

"Indeed, there is almost a game for everyone. Now, are you sure you don't want to try one?"

"Uh," Yui was hesitant, but she relented. "Is there a game we could play together?"

"Aside from the game I just played, there are racing games, simulator games and fighting games."

"What might be good for a first timer like me?"

"I would say a racing game is easy to learn, and we can both play one." Lelouch said, before noticing such a game. "This one seems easy enough and there are two seats available."

"Ok, let's try it."

Lelouch got into the player one seat, while Yui sat next to him in player two. The controls were straightforward enough, a steering wheel, an accelerator pedal, a brake pedal and a stick to shift gears if they chose manual over automatic.

Yui chose a yellow sports car to drive while Lelouch picked a purple one.

"Here we go," Lelouch said as the race began.

"There are other racers?"

"They are just computer controlled non-player characters, but they will make the race more difficult," Lelouch said, replying to Yui's question.

"I see," Yui said, putting her foot on the accelerator to speed up and try to get around them.

"Careful there are some sharp turns ahead," Lelouch cautioned.

"I see them."

The race was more intense than what Lelouch would have preferred for Yui's first time playing, but by the end, despite not winning, it was clear Yui was enjoying herself. The pair spent an hour in the arcade before finally leaving to explore more of the city. When the pair were passing through a park they saw a group of young Britannians, dressed up like some kind of delinquent gang. They were harassing and kicking a Japanese man by a mobile hotdog stand.

What stunned her even more was a pair of police officers who simply glanced at the scene before walking away.

"Why aren't they doing anything?" Yui asked, alarmed by the police officers' disregard.

"Because it's perfectly legal to discriminate against those who are not Britannian," Lelouch said, his voice barely hiding his bitterness at such a law. "Most Britannians believe that they are superior to those who are not so that allows them to exercise that belief in whatever way they believe proves it."

"That is ridiculous," Yui replied, mindful to avoid drawing anyone's attention.

"That is the kind of country Britannia is."

"And we can't do anything to help him can we?" Yui asked as she tried to keep her composure, but her outrage had slipped into her voice.

"That's right," Lelouch said regretfully. "You've noticed he runs that hotdog cart. If we help him, he'll likely be unable to sell another hotdog here again. That is the price you pay to be a Britannian Slave."

"Slave?"

"He likely became an Honorary Britannian to gain some rights and the ability to work in the city to make money. Unfortunately, despite being an Honorary Britannian, it's no better than being a slave. Most of them are given low wage paying jobs or high risk work that pays little because their Britannian bosses can get away with it."

"I can't imagine why anyone would accept it."

"I understand. Although I can't speak for anyone who chose to be an Honorary Britannian. I can only guess that some probably chose to escape life in the ghetto and are seeking money just to survive. Of course they are likely doing it to support their family and loved ones," Lelouch replied.

"The ghetto?"

"I'll show you," Lelouch said as he and Yui left the park. The latter casted a look of pity towards the poor man.

Sometime later the two went to the top of a nearby building with an observation deck. From there Yui could see another part of the city hidden by the towering clean and white buildings. Beyond them were the ruins of another city devastated by a combination of war and time. Looking around, Lelouch saw no one around, meaning they could talk freely.

"Those are the ghettos," Lelouch explained, after making sure no one was around.

"What happened?" Yui's eyes widened in horror at the sight, but felt her emotions ranging from shock, sorrow to barely contained outrage.

"It's what's left of the original city of Tokyo, I believe you are looking at what was once Shinjuku. Most Japanese people who don't become Honorary Britannians have to live in the ghettos where they barely have any electricity or running water. Even a healthy meal and medicine have become valuable and rare. It's those conditions that drive people to become Honorary Britannians or join a resistance group," Lelouch explained.

"Then those ruins were caused during Britannian's invasion of Japan?"

"That's right," Lelouch answered. "Japan fought hard, but it couldn't withstand Britannian's relentless onslaught. As I've said, they were badly outnumbered and outgunned."

Yui tried to envision what such a war for Japan would've been like, they didn't have TSFs like her Japan did so the Japan here fought with tanks and jets. Such battles with overwhelming force reminded her of the battles Japan had been having against the BETA recently.

"Did Japan win any of the battles?"

"One actually that I know of, it was called the Miracle of Itsukushima."

"Miracle of Itsukushima?"

"It was when the Britannians were invading Itsukushima aiming to wipe out the military base there. The base and its forces were led by Lieutenant Colonel Kyoshiro Tohdoh."

"What happened, did he manage to overwhelm them or gain an edge?"

Lelouch smiled knowingly. "He actually baited them into a well prepared trap."

Yui was surprised by this revelation.

"The Britannians had a huge advantage in numbers and resources, so they repeated the same blitzkrieg tactics in every corner of Japan they invaded. Tohdoh realized this and prepared in advance, using the one thing Japan had a lot of, Sakuradite."

"How was that useful?"

"Remember how I mentioned Sakuradite is a vital resource for the development of technology?" Lelouch asked, which Yui nodded. "In its raw form, especially liquefied, it's a powerful explosive. Tohdoh moved the entire base into a nearby mountain overlooking the bay and the battlefield while the base itself was rigged to blow. The base's defenses were likely using automated gun placements to keep the Britannians from realizing the ploy, but their successes in other parts of Japan left them overconfident."

"So they charged right in, and Tohdoh just blew the whole base up?"

"He likely did so once they drew the enemy deep into the base. But such an explosion would've been quite destructive, that even those outside the base were hit by the resulting pressure wave from the explosion. However, Tohdoh also had Sakuradite rigged mines in the waters within the bay, which were triggered by the blast, catching the invading Britannian navy off guard. Then Tohdoh and his men unleashed their counterattack from the mountain, picking off the confused and disoriented Britannians who survived."

"That sounds impressive, and he won Japan's only victory in that war."

"Yes unfortunately it was Japan's only victory, but I must commend Tohdoh for the advance preparation."

"So what happened to him?"

"Last I heard he managed to join the remains of Japan's military and went underground, joining them to form the Japan Liberation Front. I don't know if he leads them, but I imagine he is one of the group's leaders."

"I see. So has the Japan Liberation Front made any progress towards liberating Japan?"

"Nothing notable on that front. I've only heard about the occasional raids on military supply depots. Beyond that I have no information, but progress appears to be lacking."

"I see," Yui said, sounding understandably disappointed.

"Let's go," Lelouch suggested as he and Yui departed.

"I really hope you'll make a difference."

"Time will only tell, but I intend to," Lelouch said confidently, which impressed Yui.

Maybe he could, Yui thought.

"Anywhere else you wanted to go?"

"I suppose, could we visit Mt. Fuji?"

"Alright," Lelouch said, looking around one last time for eavesdroppers. "You won't like what you see."

"Could it be worse than the sight of these ghettos," Yui asked, but Lelouch decided not to answer that question.

By the time Lelouch and Yui arrived in the vicinity of Mt. Fuji, it was late afternoon. They rested by what was Lake Kawaguchi, where a massive hotel looked over with three large bridges connected. Since only Britnanians and foreign visitors entered the hotel from the three connecting bridges, Yui and Lelouch rested by the water. They sat on a bench overlooking the lake, choosing a spot where no one was around to eavesdrop on them.

Yui wished that viewing the wondrous mountain with its frozen top and surrounding forests would be a sight to see compared to the BETA. But it was not the regular mountain she expected but a corrupted form defiled by steel.

"Is that really Mount Fuji?" The sight gave Yui mixed feelings, which leaned towards insult.

"Hate to tell you it, but it is," Lelouch answered.

"What in the gods' name did they do to it?" Yui glared specifically at the artificial parts of it. She didn't know if the side of the mountain was still natural, but it was cybernatic with a massive installation built around one side. "Even the Training Corps back in our world is far more considerate."

"That's what happens when a natural wonder is home to eighty percent of the world's most valuable resource," Lelouch said deadpan. "Even before Japan fell, they had mining sites up to the top and down under the mountain. Only that Britannia made it more…explicit. Your anger towards the violation of both its sanctity and ecosystem is understandable."

"Then the Sakuradite mines are at Mt. Fuji?" Yui asked, which Lelouch confirmed with a nod.

"Yes, which was a big reason for the war in the first place, but it was likely only a matter of time since Sakuradite was invaluable to all of the major powers. Even if any of them came to Japan's aid, they likely would've made a puppet state out of Japan to control the mines themselves, who knows what could've happened then," Lelouch said, before giving Yui another truth. "It's probably why Japan surrendered in the end."

"I…I…understand, but I couldn't even conceive of Japan surrendering, even when you told me the first time it was difficult to accept."

"I don't blame you. I doubt fewer people would've taken it well," Lelouch acknowledged. "However, even in surrender, Japan hasn't given up the fight. They just realized a head-on confrontation wasn't possible with Britannia right now."

"What do you mean?"

"I am speculating on this, but when the war ended many of Japan's wealthy industrialist and influential politicians dodged the war tribunals by cooperating with the new government, officially opportunistic traitors in exchange they oversee all Japanese affairs in Area 11. They're probably using their new positions to support anti-Britannian efforts across Japan, especially the JLF to keep up the fight for seven years," Lelouch said, deducing why such figures would have cooperated with Britannia than aid in the resistance, at least not directly.

"They did that, to one day overthrow Britannia and liberate Japan," Yui asked, which Lelouch confirmed with a nod before continuing. "But working with the Britannians? Asking for cooperation from other nations is one thing, but actually collaborating with them. That's no better than selling out their country."

"In a pragmatic sense, it's quite the opposite," Lelouch countered. "While they are publicly kneeling to Britannia operating under the current government, they are collaborating to topple them using their positions to support those efforts. Progress is just…slow."

"Slow?"

"For one thing, they're obtaining Knightmares from overseas and salvaging whatever they could find to send to resistance groups. Another problem is giving the incompetent officials hush money to keep quiet on their actual operations. With my brother Clovis in charge, that was easy enough for them."

"Even so…"

"If you were thinking why not just fight to the bitter end rather than surrender, then that would bring in bigger problems," Lelouch shot her down. "The reason Area 11 is a hotbed for resistance movements is because Japan surrendered before exhausting its military strength. Do-or-die resistance would just waste that strength and far more manpower in Japan, in addition to causing more destruction to the local infrastructure. The indigenous species would have no effective means to resist if it was split in three either. The option of surrender was a miracle by itself, but I doubt it was an easy decision by no means."

"I can't even imagine how they could've done it?"

"They likely forced themselves, all banking on the hope that one day their actions can help Japan be free once more."

"Maybe you might make their efforts worth it in the end," Yui complimented.

"Perhaps, but only time can tell," Lelouch said as he and Yui sat together on the bench observing the sunset.

If there was one thing gained from this, Lelouch had only strengthen Yui's willingness to aid him in taking Britannia down when the time came.

Marimo was reviewing a checklist as she was walking towards a hanger where she would happen upon a group of men disembarking a plane. The majority were military engineers and other personnel, but Marimo went for the man who was overseeing their efforts standing near the newly arrived plane.

"Are all preparations ready?"

"Not yet," The civilian contractor replied, having expected Marimo's arrival. "Weather has hindered our work, but we need to replace some of the drones with new ones due to finding faults that made them too risky to use. I am also proposing we do system checks on them to ensure no malfunctions will occur."

"I suppose given the storms we've had in that region so its no surprise," Marimo replied, this was also expected. "How long before everything is ready? Will all preparations be complete on time?"

"As long as the new drones have no faults and the weather becomes more favorable, we should be ready on time in two weeks."

"Good, I'll be sure to accelerate training for the squad in question who must take this challenge to prepare them," Marimo said, accepting a file with all of the details behind the preparation work being carried out.

I can't believe so much effort is being put into such a CCSE exam, but if he succeeds this should silence anyone doubting his abilities, Marimo thought before adding. So long as it doesn't kill him first.

The Comprehensive Skill Evaluation would test Lelouch and his new friends, survival skills and working together would be key. Normally the evaluation would come before training in TSFs, due to the accelerated training track and the effort and preparations needed they were delayed.

Marimo hoped Lelouch would succeed, or at least not end up dead.

A/N: Well that chapter is done, and next is Lelouch and his new squad's CCSE exam, which has been broken up into three chapters. This was a tough chapter to write, partly because I've found few details on what daily life was like in Japan before the BETA invasion other than video games not being a thing and generally going towards efforts to fight the BETA and defend Japan. Gauging Yui's reactions to certain things in Area 11, while I had a general idea I was worried about her acting out of character so I did consult with Jameyofthemegacosmos and others since I had to portray her emotions just right too.

This is also a difference between her and Kallen, Yui feels the same about things as Kallen would, but having to keep up certain appearances due to her family status and reputation combined with the media and general public's negative view of the Takamura Family, not to give them anything they could use against her family (having endured slander and bullying growing up, something that will be touched upon in more detail in chapter 13). Overall I believed Yui would be more mindful and manage to keep her emotions more in check, for a time or unless alone with Lelouch or someone she trusts very much, which I wrote her reactions as such.

The Knightmare Frame battle was a tricky one to do as well, but those who pre-reviewed the chapter before its release didn't see notice any issues so I hope it was a good showcase of what Yui might be capable of once she gets her own Knightmare Frame later on.

"Lelouch and his squad, provided there are no unforeseen changes with the situation at Suez and here. I'll be overseeing the battle personally from the Takarabune as its temporary commander and observer. However I'll be arranging for Lieutenant Yamashiro to work with Lelouch as insurance. The US has reassured us they'll deploy four squads of TSF and send two cruisers to provide range support," Takatsugu said, interrupting Kyoko. - Also keep this statement in mind, because let's just say some unforeseen changes later in the story will force some changes XD.

Let's just say for all of her power Claude can't always stop fate from asserting itself, at least without carefully laying the ground work years in advance or while not trying to destroy reality. She knows what will happen, but she won't know which path things will take until it happens. Which keeps things interesting.

But those new ships are awhile away from completion due to a shortage of manpower especially on crewing the ships.

As for the upcoming CCSE exam, yeah its difficulty has been increased adding lots of traps and drones Lelouch will have to deal with like Takeru and gang in the original game would face.

The poll deciding Ichika from Infinite Stratos's fate is still ongoing with Ichika fleeing his world with Lelouch winning with five votes ahead of the other option, but his involvement with Lelouch's group or not won't affect my plans. Which I must comment this poll has been intriguing to watch as early on it was dead even until ten votes, before the option for Ichika to flee with Lelouch pulled ahead by five votes, but still holding at 15 as of this character. I'll leave the poll open until sufficient votes come in or until the story gets closer to IS's involvement in the story, which I might put down another poll (deciding Tabane's fate since that has been a...issue that has divided people let's just same) and if I should involve Gunbuster's sequel (Diebuster, which may be way too OP for me to use in this story or until the very end XD. When planets are getting used as weapons and destroyed, yeah its something to think hard on lol).

Thank you all for reading the chapter, and I appreciate any feedback, favorites and follows.

The last mecha specs until later, outwardly its appearance is based on the Type-94 Shiranui with a more streamlined appearance and placements for its MS-based weapons and defenses. The limited production models had the Coupling System and Beam Shields, but would be removed, the former for being unable to adapt the needed tech on a massive scale, and the beam shields were too power consuming, not badly, but were deemed not practical for mass production.

Model number: HXM-01A

Code name: Minamoto

Pilot(s): Yuzuka Sendo, Haruko Kashiwagi, Haruka Suzumiya, Marimo Jinguuji, Tsukiko Fujisawa, Michiru Isumi and others

Unit type: Prototype Test-Production Type MS/TSF hybrid

Manufacturer: Unknown

Operator: Empire of Japan, Order of the Black Knights

First deployment: September 29th 2016 A.T.B.

Accommodation: pilot only, in panoramic monitor/linear seat cockpit in torso

Dimensions: head height 17.7 meters

Weight: 53.2 metric tons

Armor: Trans-Phase Armor

Powerplant: Rechargeable Solar Energy Conductor. (draws power from the sun, but without it a full charge will allow it to operate for about a week)

Propulsion: Voiture Lumiere Propulsion System: A combat variant of the "Voiture Lumiere" propulsion system is mounted in the Strike Freedom's mobile weapon wings. Unlike the Voiture Lumiere used by GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam, this combat variant uses an internal laser, instead of solar winds or an external power beam, and converts its energy into a strong light pressure which is then used as thrust. When activated, the system allows the suit to accelerate at incredible rates and to quickly dodge the most intense enemy beam barrages.

Equipment and Design Features

Quasi-Psycommu System: The Quasi-psycommu system was developed to extend the capabilities of remote control to non-Newtypes. This system can actively scan the pilot's brainwaves, no matter how weak they are, and then let the computer translate the thoughts into commands to be issued to remote weapons. Using the quasi-psycommu even non-Newtypes can control simple wire-guided remote weapons, such as INCOMs.

Coupling System (limited production models only)

Intention Automatic System

Fixed Armaments:

2 X 60mm Vulcan Guns, stored in the head.

2 X Beam Sabers, mounted in the Shoulder Armor for easy access.

2 X Butterfly Busters: Highly experimental weapons that can switch between gun mode and saber mode with a folding mechanic similar to its namesake mounted on the hip side.

2 x Beam Shield, mounted on forearms (limited production models only)

Beam Smart Gun: Also known as the Mega Beam Rifle, it is a high output beam cannon with an open mega particle compression-accelerator device. It is later put into mass-production and referred to as the "laundry-drying pole". Stored in the left sub-arm mounted rack on the backpack.

Beam Launcher: This large caliber beam weapon was developed as a replacement for the projectile firing bazooka, powered by a replaceable energy-pack, the beam launcher fires low-velocity beams with high destructive power. Mounted on the right sub-arm storage rack on the backpack.

2 x Sub-Arms: mounted alongside the flight unit, which can be equipped with different weapons as per the pilot's preferences or mission requirements. Usable are scatter missile pods, anti-aircraft machine guns, rail cannons, integrated beam rifles, beam sabers or physical blades.

Nice, Yui gets to see Lelouch's Earth.
No BETA...
But hella racist and oppressive.
And resolves and feelings are affirmed here.
Excited to see what comes of it in the end.

Yeah, traded one problem for another set o issues.

Yup.

Well chapter 13 will show things growing between her and Lelouch.

It'll be fine. Lelouch is Gundam man now
Rip Lancelot

Yes, and Lancelot is as good as screwed in one on one, but the Lancelot's ONLY saving grace is that Lelouch won't bring in mobile suits yet until he has the man power to both kick Britannia out of Area 11 then hold it and launch attacks on them.

War of the Seven Kings Ch10 New
A/N: Special thanks to Jameyofthemegacosmos, Icysnowsage, Darklord331, Silkdreamweaver (chief beta reader and editor) and our Gundam consultant and designer Redrat8. Greatkingrat88, and Seerking have also contributed to the development of this story. I had begun in-between projects since early last year.

Well this begins the three chapters consisting of Lelouch and his new squad/friends Comprehensive Combat Skill Evaluation, which was decided to break up into three chapters since we're moving between three groups of characters over a couple days period, so this chapter will likely be the short end of the trio. Now I know the Comprehensive Combat Skill Evaluation tends to come before TSF training, but I covered that by the fact Lelouch and his squad are on a accelerated training track and because some of his opposition within the military want to ensure it was hard as possible, which those opposing parties allowed, in the hopes Lelouch and his squad would succeed to silence any lingering naysayers about Lelouch all because he's a foreigner.

Producing what became these chapters weren't easy, I had a hard time trying to decide what kind of challenges Lelouch could face while making them comparable to what Takeru and his friends would face, while making it challenging at the same since they aren't using mobile suits or TSFs. It took awhile for me to finally find an idea with the aid of the betas that could allowing me to finish the chapter, so that being said its a good thing I had pre-made a lot of these chapters including this one well in advance.

Anyway thanks to everyone who reviewed, favorited and followed the story, they are always appreciated and are always great at encouraging me to continuing the story.

Chapter 10

Graduation, Part I

(Two weeks later)

Lelouch got back on his bearing after a rough fall. He could hear Yuzuka's footsteps from behind, approaching him with her pack in hand.

Never expected a drill this suddenly, Lelouch thought. They must've prepared this while Yui and I were away, and kept the rest of us occupied.

Two weeks after returning from Area 11, Lelouch and his new friends endured more rigorous training with more of a focus on physical training and hand-to-hand combat. The night before he immediately went straight to his bed in the barracks, following a rather exhausting day of training. While he expected the exam to occur today, the airhorn caught him off guard. He, Yuzuka, Haruka, Tsukiko, Haruko, and Asagi were in a squad when they boarded the MH-53 Pave Low. Marimo ordered them to get out with parachutes and backpacks in hand. Lelouch and Yuzuka went out first per Marimo's instructions. As they descended, they saw the rest of their squadmates deploy elsewhere on the island.

After removing the parachute from his backpack, he went to Yuzuka and helped her with hers. A radio on Lelouch's belt had Marimo's voice cracking through, prompting him to pick it up.

"Attention, teams. Come in."

"I hear you, loud and clear," Lelouch gave a sharp reply. "That was quite a rough drop."

"Yeah, what's with that?" Asagi radioed elsewhere.

"We're all scattered all over the place," Tsukiko agreed.

"The Comprehensive Combat Skill Evaluation is about to begin," Marimo briefed, ignoring their complaints. "This will represent a survival mission and covert operation to put everything you have learned to use. Your mission is to complete all the objectives with your given items and equipment, then reach the designated extraction point marked on your map."

Yuzuka opened her pack, finding a piece of paper folded into quarters. She unfolded it to reveal a map of the island

"As you see on the map, your mission is to infiltrate the camp south of the island and complete the three objectives listed."

Lelouch saw the three locations marked one to three in red ink, as Marimo explained.

"Objective 1: Infiltrate the command center of the enemy base and disable or retrieve any electronics you find, including any radios and radar systems. Objective 2: Disable the motor pool and any vehicles stationed in the southeast. Objective 3: Infiltrate the underground missile base, which has been repurposed into a detention center. Intel reports there is a hostage inside. Rescue the hostage, and if he's already deceased, obtain any documents that you find that the enemy might find valuable. Once you complete your objectives, head to the extraction point on the island's east coast. Fire a green flare with the gun provided, and the chopper will come in to extract you."

"Uh, madam? There are two flare guns here." Asagi checked the bag. "And two of the rounds are red."

Seeing the flare guns and four rounds, Lelouch peeked into Yuzuka's pack to confirm. As Asagi stated, two of the rounds were labeled red.

"The green ones certainly mean mission success," Haurka could tell. "But those red ones are also to signal a mission failure."

"Commander, can you give us an explanation for the extra flares?" Lelouch inquired.

"Confirmed, those red flares are used to abort the mission," Marimo replied. "Fire one, and the chopper will come in for extraction. However, doing so will cause you to fail the exam. Do not get into an emergency where you must fire one."

In other words, don't injure yourself out there.
Lelouch saw the extra meaning there, especially after remembering what happened to Haruka.

"You also have five days to complete the mission," Marimo added. "Finishing later than that will also mean automatic failure. After the completion of the exam, your team will be evaluated."

So we're on a time limit, huh?
Lelouch thought. Makes sense for a covert operation.

"Now then, we shall maintain radio silence until you signal. The mission starts now."

With that, the radio went silent before any of the girls could respond. The radio silence would make sense since this was supposed to simulate an actual mission. Still, Lelouch could sense some agony from a few members.

"Well, five days, huh," Asagi tried to lighten the mood. "Well, that doesn't sound so bad, does it? I bet we could get this done before the day ends!"

"I doubt that," Lelouch argued. "We don't know the exact layout of the island, which includes topography. There's also the possibility of multiple obstructions blocking the way."

"Come on, don't be such a stick in the mud!"

"Asagi isn't entirely wrong," Haruka backed her teammate as she looked at the map herself. "If I'm seeing this right, this is supposed to be the island of Niijima."

"You know the place?" Lelouch asked.

"Niijima," Yuzuka explained with a noticeable tone of disapproval. "Yes, this is near the occupied Shikane Island. Initially, it was inhabited many decades ago, when a missile test facility was established. However, the island's population declined as many people were conscripted into the war against the BETA and later evacuated after a minor, short-lived nuclear accident. Even after the radiation that affected a very small section of the island subsided, there have been no attempts to re-inhabit the island due to having no strategic value for the war."

"Near Shikane Island," Lelouch spoke to himself as if he had heard that name before.

"Lelouch?" Yuzuka asked, curious about his thoughts.

"Nothing," Lelouch shook his head as he radioed to Haruka. "Suzumiya, since you recognize the island, what do you know about the place?"

"We're deployed at an old lighthouse here. We can reach the base that's been marked for us by entering the main settlement and taking the roads. That alone would be a few hours."

"Any back roads into the base?" Lelouch asked. "We seem to be on the other side of the island, near the motor pool. I feel this exercise would have the roads blocked off."

"There are forests and mountains along the sides of the base that act as natural barriers. The motor pool, specifically, is built by the Shiromama Cliff. It will take two more hours, but there's a path an enemy would least likely expect us to take."

"Better than spending extra time backtracking to take a detour," Lelouch formulated his plan. "Very well, Yuzuka and I will take the motor pool then. If possible, I can secure a ride for us and speed up the time. If not, I can at least map a path to the extraction point."

"Are you sure you can hijack a car?" Tsukiko raised an eyebrow at him.

"Don't worry, I've done it before," Lelouch assured Tsukiko as he gave the rest of his plan. "Asagi, Haruko, can you confirm your location?"

"Um, I think we're somewhere in the middle of the island?" Asagi answered with little confidence. "It's hard to tell from here."

"Very well, see if you can head south. You two will head to the underground prison and rescue the hostage, or retrieve any intelligence the enemy could use. Tsukiko, Haruka, I'd like you to head to the command center. Haruka's knowledge of computers will be better for the objective, but she'll probably need your help. "

"Understood, but," Haruko brought up a question. "Any idea where to meet after this?"

Lelouch looked at the map, pondering her question. He checked all the paths and found a very sharp curve north of the intersection to the base.

"Once we're finished, we rendezvous at the curve on the road north of the base. Considering the time, we'll stay there until the next day. Hopefully, everyone will familiarize themselves with the terrain enough to know the way by then."

"Understood," the girls called out before the radio went silent.

"So, what now?" Yuzuka asked.

"Let's locate our objective, then go from there," Lelouch suggested.

Leading the way, Lelouch found what appeared to be a trail. However, suspecting that the island had traps, Lelouch searched and found a long, broken tree branch. Holding it in one hand, Lelouch grabbed some rocks in the other.

"What are those for?" Yuzuka inquired.

"I expect there to be traps," Lelouch said. "We can toss some of these to any suspicious spots to see what happens."

Looking ahead on the path, Lelouch saw a patch of leaves that seemed out of place. He threw one of the heavier stones at the center of the suspicious area. Sure enough, the ground gave way to a small pit. Although it wouldn't cause any serious harm, it was enough to catch someone's leg and cause injury. Someone being unable to properly walk would be debilitating and possibly an instant mission failure..

"Wow, right off the bat," Yuzuka said, equally surprised they quickly encountered a trap.

"That was just a warning," Lelouch replied. "There are no doubt more traps that we will have to keep an eye out for."

"Well," Yuzuka stuttered while following Lelouch. "I hope the others won't fall for them."

"We can only hope," Lelouch replied, leading the way.

On another corner of the island, the second team started their own trek through the forest ahead. Haruka and Tsukiko had landed together on the coastline since neither wanted to risk being trapped in the trees. Thanks to the two having previously undergone similar evaluations, they had also picked up some rocks and a long stick to help them set off any traps along the way.

"You know, I am worried about the others," Tsukiko commented. Already they had come across a few different traps hidden in the forest.

"Lelouch will do fine," Haruka responded. "But I know what you mean."

"As long as Yuzuka can follow his instructions, for sure," Tsukiko explained. "It's just the last group is a bunch of newbies."

"But we spent those nights together talking and planning what might happen. I don't think there is any reason to worry," Haruka offered reassuringly.

"Maybe we should try to complete our objective as soon as possible, then regroup with the others," Tsukiko suggested.

"Good idea," Haruka said, as she led the way. "In the worst-case scenario, we can help anyone having trouble."

Elsewhere on the island at that moment, Haruko and Asagi were making their own way to their intended objective. Unlike the other two teams, the pair were off to a…difficult start.

Asagi nearly fell into a pitfall trap. It was large and at least a good ten feet deep. If Haruko hadn't grabbed her at the last second she could have ended up stuck down there for who knows how long.

"Careful. Haruka warned us that there would be traps." Haruko warned after pulling Asagi up by her arm.

"Yeah, but I didn't think we would run into one so soon."

"Let's avoid walking on direct trails for now, and find our objective to link up with the others."

Later that day, Lelouch and Yuzuka neared their destination. To confirm their location, Yuzuka climbed up a tree to get a bird's eye view of their location and hopefully their objective. Yuzuka was mindful to stay hidden before she climbed down to report to Lelouch.

"It looks like the motor pool is over there," Yuzuka informed once she was back on the ground. "I didn't notice any guards, but there are at least a dozen vehicles."

"They might have other forms of surveillance protecting the place that are hidden." Lelouch said with one hand on his chin. "It would be too easy otherwise."

"Hard to imagine that they go this far to prepare new recruits," Yuzuka remarked. "When my dad first told me, I thought he was joking or just trying to dissuade me from joining the army."

"It is extreme, but I know that TSF pilots face a frighteningly high mortality rate," Lelouch explained as he moved closer to the base with Yuzuka.

"As someone who faced the BETA, I'll take your word for it."

After a few minutes Lelouch and Yuzuka reached a high, ten-foot tall chain-linked fence surrounding the motor pool. There was barbed wire on top, but no signs of cameras or motion sensors. The pair cautiously approached. They kept to the cover of the forest. Even if there were no cameras, it would be foolish to assume that someone wasn't keeping a lookout for them.

"It can't be that easy, after what Haruka and Tsukiko said," Yuzuka pointed out as they stood before the fence.

"I agree, given that Haruka lost her legs attempting this evaluation the first time," Lelouch replied, but he had a sinking suspicion about the fence.

"You think this fence is electrified?"

"I was thinking the same, not that climbing over this fence would be easy, to begin with," Lelouch contemplated.

Following the fence to the cliff edge, the pair came to a lookout tower built along and atop of what Yuzuka recognized as Shiromama Cliff. The cliff hugged the shoreline and shielded the compound from one side and provided a position to overlook the ocean. They cautiously approached. At first glance, they saw nothing, but at the base of the lookout tower, they noticed an open window facing the ocean.

"It can't be that easy?" Yuzuka remarked. As they drew close they could see that there was enough space between the building and cliff for a person to shimmy up to the window.

"That is a steep drop," Lelouch pointed out as he peered over the edge. "We need to be cautious."

"Right," Yuzuka agreed. "So here comes the fun part," Yuzuka said nervously.

"No kidding. Are you ready for this?"

"I am if you are," Yuzuka said, sounding more nervous as she looked down at what would be a hundred-foot drop if they fell.

"Let's be thankful this motor pool wasn't built on the highest part of the cliff," Lelouch commented, trying to dismiss his nervousness. The land on this side of the island sloped upward until the cliff side reached heights of nearly nine-hundred-feet.

"Well," Yuzuka suggested. "How about I go first, then?"

"No, I should go."

"It really should be me. I am stronger than you physically. No offense."

"None taken, but," Lelouch paused with a sigh. "We're procrastinating out of fear, aren't we?"

"Why wouldn't we?"

"Good point," Lelouch said in agreement.

Lucky for them, thanks to the wear and tear of time on the tower's foundations, there were points for the hands and feet of a brave or crazy few to shimmy across the base of the tower.

Neither wanted to rush across as with the wear on the foundations that made it fragile and at risk of a break happening..

The pair were halfway across, and everything was going well. But that only raised their worries something would go wrong.

The winds blew against them, threatening to separate them from the wall they were hugging, which made it more difficult to find good places for their hands and feet.

"Ah," Yuzuka cried, as her grip slipped. Thankfully her reflexes were fast enough that she managed to regain it.

"Are you alright?" Lelouch asked, concerned.

"I am fine. Let's keep moving," Yuzuka replied.

Lelouch followed Yuzuka's lead, replicating her hands and feet placements. The strong gusts were cold and almost blinding if they tried to look toward its oncoming direction.

Minutes felt like hours, but the pair were eventually below the window. Unable to climb up further, Yuzuka and Lelouch realized they were short by only a foot or two since the tower walls offered no useful way to climb up.

"What do we do?" Lelouch asked.

"Get ready to grab the window frame," Yuzuka said, double checking her footing and grip.

"Huh!?"

Lelouch was caught off guard when Yuzuka grabbed him by the back of his belt before lifting Lelouch up with her right arm. Yuzuka grunted from the strain of lifting a sixteen-year-old boy with one arm.

"I got it," Lelouch said, grabbing the window frame before pulling himself up.

Once he was in, Lelouch didn't waste a moment to help Yuzuka.

"Give me your hand," Lelouch said, reaching for her.

Yuzuka grabbed Lelouch's hand, followed by the other.

Knowing the risks and his limited physical strength, Lelouch put all he had into pulling Yuzuka up. Lelouch struggled and grunted with the muscles in his arms burning from the strain.

However, thanks to his physical training, he was able to pull Yuzuka up enough for her to reach the window frame. From there, after getting a good grip, Yuzuka pulled herself in.

The pair collapsed onto the ground, beside each other, breathing heavily. Their breathing remained ragged for a minute or two until Yuzuka uttered.

"Thanks…huff…for…huff…not dropping…huff me."

"Likewise," Lelouch managed in between breaths.

After resting for a few more minutes, Lelouch and Yuzuka got up. Cautiously, they searched the lookout tower they were in for anything of use. They only found a military axe, which Yuzuka took possession of after feeling the sharp edge.

This place was stripped bare, Lelouch observed. Probably to keep us from gaining any potentially useful resources.

"Yuzuka, I am going to the top floor and see if I spot anything we should be concerned about," Lelouch said, ascending the circular stone stairs.

"What more could there still be after what it takes to get past that fence?"

"Remember how they raised the difficulty against us during the mock battle?" Lelouch reminded her as a counter-argument as he headed to the top.

Reaching the top floor, Lelouch approached a window and looked down. He carefully scanned the area for anything suspicious or out of place. Moments of peace were when sudden surprises were most likely to catch people off guard and could easily spell death on the battlefield.

"Take a look over there," Lelouch pointed.

"What is it?" Yuzuka called out as she stepped outside the tower. "I'm sure they wouldn't make the course super dangerous like…Oh."

Yuzuka trailed off as her eyes focused on the wire before her. She could then see multiple similar wires strewn across the ground and strung up between rocks and trees. Each wire connected to what looked like explosives. She froze in place as her heart stopped from the danger before her.

"Just like an actual booby trapped area," Lelouch remarked. "The instructors did a good job imitating what a competent enemy would do."

"Even so, this looks…overkill."

"But it's also good for us."

"Huh!?" Yuzuka jumped at his sudden statement. "Are you mad? We're in the middle of a death trap right here!"

"Yes, but if we're careful enough, we can deactivate and reuse these against them," Lelouch explained. "I'll guide you where to cut the wires. Afterward, we'll check to see if there's anything else that might trigger those charges. Once it's clear, you can retrieve the explosives for us to use."

"Me?" Yuzuka asked, understandably hesitant.

"You want to trade places?"

"Uh, I'll go," Yuzuka didn't take long to prefer disarming the tripwires. She had difficulty spotting them, while Lelouch could easily see where they were.

From above, Lelouch called out whenever Yuzuka got too close to a wire, and how to evade them. Thanks to Lelouch, Yuzuka drew close to the first of the bombs, which appeared simple to disarm. It only had one visible wire to cut. Using the ax blade as a makeshift wire cutter, Yuzuka cut the red wire that disabled the bomb.

"Got it," Yuzuka shouted.

"Good work. Now you have six more to disarm."

Yuzuka steeled herself, as Lelouch gave further instructions.

"Be careful. You have three wires low on the ground ahead of you," Lelouch cautioned.

"I see them," Yuzuka replied.

"Once you pass them, there are more ahead," Lelouch warned. "They are strung up between those trees, right in front of the next explosive."

"Got it," Yuzuka replied as she bent down to go under them and drew closer to the next bomb. After passing the next set of wires, Yuzuka reached the bomb and quickly disarmed it.

Thanks to Lelouch helping her, and the ample sunlight, Yuzuka successfully disarmed all the bombs. As she gathered them up, Lelouch came down from the lookout.

Yuzuka spoke, when Lelouch rejoined her. "Say, Lelouch…"

"What is it?" Lelouch listened.

"About that comment earlier, back at the start. Is it true? That you stole a car once?"

Yuzuka's question was not unexpected, but it still caught Lelouch off guard. Her voice sounded calm, but he could tell it was a facade. He had already been through this before with Nunnally so he decided to play up his audacity.

"I did."

"When exactly did you do such a thing?"

"About six years ago."

"Six years," Yuzuka was taken aback. Her face grew hot as she tightened her grip on her axe. "You stole a car when you were nine years old!? Do you know how dangerous it is!? What were you thinking back then!?"

"For a correction, I was ten years old," Lelouch replied despite knowing it would make her angrier. "For clarification, I only jump-started the car when we took it. My friend did the actual driving."

"Still, doing that isn't just crazy, that's just plain stupid! And I assume your friend was the same age? I hope you two were caught and got quite the spanking for it!"

"Sorry to get your hopes up, but we didn't," Lelouch smirked.

"How were you not caught?" Yuzuka inquired, raising her axe. "What happened back then? Was your friend that good of a driver?"

"You have no idea," Lelouch chuckled for the moment. "At the very least, he drove good enough to get us out of trouble."

"When did he even learn how to drive a car? Was he taught at that young of an age?"

"Sort of," Lelouch knew sharing would be a little complicated. "It's something we have back in my world called video games."

"Video games?" Yuzuka's confusion was expected. "What's that?"

"You know the TSF simulators that you have in this world? Well, video games are like that if they were for public use."

"For the public?" Yuzuka stated, surprised. "Huh, never thought of that."

"And I don't expect you to do so. My world had a little more peacetime, so it makes sense they were designed for civilians. One set of games was where even children could unconsciously learn how to drive vehicles."

"And your friend learned from that? Sounds a little reckless if you ask me."

"That's fair, but a war had just broken out," Lelouch pointed out. "We had to escape the coastline and the cities."

"And you had your crippled younger sister to worry about."

"That's right," Lelouch said as Yuzuka followed him. The pair entered the depot and approached one of the parked transports.

These look identical to trucks used by Britannia about thirty or forty years ago, Lelouch thought, recalling having seen similar vehicles from educational films.

His hopes for using the vehicle were dashed when he opened the hood to see the engine and saw its rusted, broken state..

"I can't say I am shocked, but it would've been nice to hotwire one of these for us to use," Lelouch sighed before closing the hood.

"You, of all people, should've known none of these are usable," Yuzuka lightly scolded Lelouch. "Even if these trucks weren't gutted, there is no way they would work after being neglected and left to the mercy of the elements for so long."

"No harm in trying," Lelouch argued.

"Why don't I do something about the fence so we can leave," Yuzuka suggested after nodding with both hands on her hips. "I'll let you repurpose these bombs to blow this place up."

"Good plan, I'll get to work."

Haruka and Tsukiko exited the forest to find the remains of a small town, much of which was overgrown as nature had reclaimed much of it. Some buildings had collapsed due to neglect or nature, such as trees or vines growing through the structures in such a way their structural integrity was compromised until they came apart.

Even the wood that made them had rotted away.

"This place has seen better days," Tsukiko remarked.

"We should be careful. Some of these buildings might have a basement that we could fall into if we aren't careful," Haruka warned, glancing at some abandoned homes.

"Right, although if these buildings have been abandoned for fifty years, I don't know what we could find that could be useful," Tsukiko commented, doubtful.

The pair walked in silence until, in the corner of her eye, Tsukiko noticed an abandoned jeep. Haruka cautiously stepped away from it, seemingly on instinct.

I wonder, Tsukiko thought.

Haruka and Tsukiko walked silently, but as they passed another abandoned vehicle, Haruka cautiously moved away. This time, Tsukiko didn't notice any sign of fright on her face; rather, it was almost instinctive.

Now that I think about it, Haruka didn't mention how she lost her legs. Did it have something to do with a vehicle?

Tsukiko decided against asking, not wanting to bring up any unpleasant memories. Considering how she had her own unpleasant memories, she understood not wanting to share those experiences.

Eventually, the two reached a small clearing, their destination about a hundred yards ahead.

Given how much nature had grown over much of the long-abandoned structures, it was hard to tell what it was. The rusting remains of a chain-link fence encircling it suggested it was once a government building. Automatically, based on the briefing, they knew this was a command center. Maybe it became both.

However, there was a problem.

"Are those..." Tsukiko noticed flying drones surrounding the command center. They were military-grade and armed with anti-personnel weaponry.

"Those are the kind used to attack enemy infantry," Haruka recognized.

"So how are we supposed to get past those?"

"Let's look around and see if we can't find an alternative path," Haruka suggested, knowing rushing the building would be suicide.

"Right. Let's hope there is something we can work with."

Sometime later, Lelouch and Yuzuka had managed to finish planting all the repurposed bombs. After retrieving their packs, Yuzuka and Lelouch didn't waste time getting as far away as possible. The timers were set for an hour to ensure they had enough time to put distance between themselves and the depot, but neither wanted to waste time being idle as both Lelouch and Yuzuka knew that nighttime would come soon. They needed to find shelter for the night since they lacked any reliable means of navigating through the dark, and since the island had its fair share of booby traps, that was a risk neither was willing to take.

"You think we can get far enough away?" Yuzuka asked as they hurried through the forest..

"Hopefully," Lelouch suggested in between breaths. "If this island has any hostiles on it, it would be best if we got further away."

"So what's next?"

"Let's start making our way towards the rendezvous point, but it's going to be dark soon," Lelouch said, glancing at the sun as it was nearing the horizon with the color of the sky changing to an orange hue.

"Are you suggesting finding shelter for the night?"

Lelouch nodded, "After today, I think we both need the rest."

"I agree, but where?"

"Let's head for the lighthouse. It's not too far away and we just have to stick close to the shoreline to reach it. That might be among the few places we can safely rest for the night."

"But didn't Marimo say we can't break any part of the lighthouse or take anything from it?"

"True, but she didn't say anything about breaking in," Lelouch said with a grin.

"You got some kind of plan?" Yuzuka inquired curiously.

"I do. Follow me."

Haruka and Tsukiko sought shelter for the night. They knew attempting to sneak by armed drones at night would be impossible, but unlike Yuzuka and Lelouch, the pair had few choices for where to sleep. The abandoned buildings were a possibility, but besides having questionable structural integrity, neither liked sleeping in a proximity that felt too close to the drones.

The pair decided to use an abandoned store, that a tree grew through, to sleep in. Haruka leaned against it in deep contemplation.

"I am back," Tsukiko returned with a bundle of firewood.

"Oh, need me to help?"

"No, I got it. Besides, you seem to be thinking about something. Care to share?"

"I've been thinking about how we would get to our destination," Haruka replied as Tsukiko created a makeshift fire pit..

"So, any idea for how we get past those drones?" Tsukiko asked as she stacked the sticks in the pit.

"Well, trying to find an alternative route has failed, so we'll need a diversion to get by them."

"How do you suggest we do that?"

"I'm not sure yet, but we need one since they've left no openings we can't exploit," Haruka said, recalling what they observed from the drones.

Knowing they couldn't remain in the air indefinitely, the pair watched to see how long the drones could fly. Unfortunately, before returning to recharge, a second set of drones would fly out to replace them before the first set would leave. The process would then repeat itself.

It was plain as day that their only option would be to distract the drones.

"So what will we do?"

"I have an idea," Haruka said, having an eureka moment.

Suddenly, an explosion sounded in the distance, startling the two.

"What the hell was that!?" Tsukiko said as she jumped to her feet.

"Someone accomplished their objective," Haruka replied with a bemused smile.

"In that case, let me get this fire going so we can celebrate with some dinner," Tsukiko said as she went back to working on lighting the campfire.

"Whew, I am glad we got far away from that," Yuzuka commented after hearing the explosion.

"Our repurposed bomb went off without problems then."

"So what's your follow-up plan?" Yuzuka asked.

"First, I need to see if my suspicions are right," Lelouch replied as he and Yuzuka approached the lighthouse.

Unlike the other structures on the island, the lighthouse was still well maintained. Connected was a two-story house made of brick with a wooden roof covered with solar panels. It was likely maintained by only one or two people who were likely sent out, periodically, for necessary maintenance.

"Originally, the lighthouse was overseen by someone who lived here, but when they converted it to be fully automated," Yuzuka explained as she looked around the lighthouse with Lelouch.

"There!" Lelouch pointed to where an open window could be seen. It was cracked open, and just large enough that if they could reach it, they could squeeze through and enter.

"Oh," Yuzuka said, realizing what Lelouch had in mind. "How about I handle the next part?"

"You sure?" Lelouch asked, trying to be a gentleman.

"I am. Here, give me a boost up." Yuzuka climbed onto Lelouch's shoulder and reached for the window. She managed to grab a hold and pull herself in.

Then, to Lelouch's relief, Yuzuka easily opened the window before crawling inside. Once Yuzuka was inside Lelouch went to the door and waited for her to open it.

I am glad that worked out, Lelouch thought, fearing he wasn't going to be able to support Yuzuka on his shoulders.

Lelouch didn't have to wait long for Yuzuka to make her way downstairs to unlock the door to let the young man inside.

"Care to come in," Yuzuka offered jokingly.

"Don't mind if I do," Lelouch replied with a smile.

Once inside, the pair locked the door before surveying the house. As expected, it was almost bare save for a few things, such as a radio, a sofa, and a simple coffee table. The dining room had a small table and a pair of chairs.

"I guess this place was set if maintenance ever has to stay the night," Yuzuka said, looking around.

"That is likely, or maybe if they travel by boat, they just stay the night before making the trip back to the mainland," Lelouch agreed.

"That would make sense."

Exploring the rest of the house, Lelouch and Yuzuka found the bedroom sparsely furnished beyond a pair of beds and a nightstand between them. But something on one of the beds caught their eye.

"What's that?" Yuzuka asked as she and Lelouch approached the gun case.

"Let's see what we got," Lelouch knelt down to open the case and revealed what appeared to be a breech-loading, single-shot, bolt-action sniper rifle.

It was forty-five inches long with a silver finish and an attached scope. The case held four large fifty-caliber bullets.

"There is a note," Yuzuka pointed out.

"Let's see…" Lelouch said, picking up the letter to read its contents.

If you are reading this, I assume you and Yuzuka noticed my choice of words, so you can have this bonus tool to aid you in the objectives. Remember you have only a few shots, use them well.

"Not many shots, but why give us such a gun?" Yuzuka picked up one of the bullets to inspect them. "These bullets look like they could punch through a tank."

"Good question, which I consider a worrying sign." Lelouch wondered what test or obstacle could demand the use of such a weapon. "We'll carry it with us in the morning, but let's eat something for now. This place likely has working water and a stove we can use."

"Sounds like a good idea."

Yuzuka and Lelouch headed downstairs, and after a while, they used a cooking pot they found to boil water from the sink. They then used the flameless heater with one of their provisions, MREs, also known as Meals Ready to Eat. Once they prepared the water, Yuzuka lit an old oil lamp to provide lightning for them to eat.

The pair made fruit drinks using the boiled water and mixing powder from their provisions. They located some glasses and other dishes that the pair decided to use.

"Mind if I ask you something?" Yuzuka said while eating her choice of fried rice and grilled chicken.

"Go ahead."

"If you don't mind me asking, why did Claude pick you for all this? I have nothing against you or anything but…uh," Yuzuka trailed off, not trying to offend Lelouch.

"Good question. I wonder that myself," Lelouch answered before sipping from his fruit drink. "I don't accept her reasons for choosing me. Even if some of them were true, given the places where some of our technology originated, I question why she didn't choose someone from those worlds directly."

"That's my question," Yuzuka inquired. "Given your world doesn't seem as advanced as others, why does it have to be you of all people?"

"I wish I had an answer, but I suspect it ties into her agenda," Lelouch said as he ate another forkful of his dinner. "I can only guess, but I can't say without further information."

"Maybe something special about you or your world?"

Lelouch considered that for a moment.

"Other than being a former prince and our world having Sakuradite, nothing else comes to mind."

"What is Sakuradite?"

"A superconductive material used in a lot of recent technology, especially for developing Knightmare Frames. They are key to making their power systems, so Sakuradite has become increasingly in demand. One of the key reasons why the Japan of my world was invaded was to gain control of its mines, which provided seventy percent of the world's supply."

"Knightmare Frames, basically a tiny version of a TSF?" Yuzuka reviewed as Lelouch replied with a nod.

"The general application for them, yes," Lelouch replied while Yuzuka ate another fork full of food. "Other than being used as potent explosives, detonating an enormous amount of Sakuradite can be very destructive."

"Wow, that sounds powerful," Yuzuka replied. She hesitated, but she has been wanting to ask this next question for a while. "So, a more personal question, if you don't mind. I've been curious since I learned about it. You were a prince of a nation?"

"One of many in line for the throne. When I was exiled, I lost all rights to the throne, which doesn't bother me, if I am honest."

"How many were there, competing for the throne?"

"Last I checked, there were at least fifteen contenders among the princes worth mentioning. I am one of many children the Emperor had, at least more than a hundred."

"How…how many wives did he have?" Yuzuka asked, shocked by the number of half-siblings.

"One hundred and eight consorts," Lelouch answered, causing Yuzuka's jaw to drop, silently wording the number he had just given her. "In case you wonder, yes, polygamy is legal in Britannia. It isn't solely dependent on your social rank in the nobility, but only if you have the needed wealth to support such a relationship."

"Competition for the throne must be crazy," Yuzuka said, reeling from that revelation. "I don't think the Emperor of Japan at any point in history had that many consorts."

"Yes, but the competition are also very bloody," Lelouch replied calmly while Yuzuka looked at him sympathetically. "Assassinations among the contenders are a regular occurrence. My mother was a victim of this, and my sister nearly lost her life during that same incident. After I was exiled, I heard another consort and one of her daughters was killed in a bombing, shortly before the war between Japan and Britannia erupted."

"And the Emperor just banished you and your sister to Japan just for speaking to him about the loss of your mother?"

"Not exactly, but that is generally what happened. All the more reason I chose not to return to Britannia, and accepted the Ashford Family's help in faking our deaths and taking new identities," Lelouch explained. "Even if they were allies of our mother, they only did so in order to have us as liability insurance."

"You know," Yuzuka paused to eat again. "I understand why you were willing to endure so much for Claude's deal."

"Given everything I've seen and come from, I understand. Coming here from my world must seem like an act of insanity."

"You have a good reason, don't you? You want revenge for yourself, your sister, and your mother?"

"It's more than that," Lelouch acknowledged. "The Ashford Family is looking after Nunnally and me, but we have some issues with being liability insurance. Who knows how long they'll continue to shelter us? Then there is…the fact I feel like I am dying a slow death."

"I…" Yuzuka stuttered, caught off guard and not knowing what to say.

"Imagine going through it daily, the fear of being cast aside or found, and ending up as another casualty of royal ambition. Imagine being unable to do anything about it and going through the motions of living. Each day is a routine where I must lie and hide who I am from others. It's what I call a slow death. Even if I don't trust her, I would take a gamble by accepting Claude's bargain if it means I no longer have to lie to myself."

"So we're seeing the real you more than what people in your world see?"

"That is right." Lelouch went back to his food, breaking eye contact.

"I even know what losing a mother and siblings is like." Yuzuka's response caused Lelouch to look up at her. "It's unfair you get to share something personal with me, so allow me to return the favor. My father, Sarutobi, owns Japan's biggest TSF production company. I was the youngest of three children my father had with my mother, Tomoko."

Lelouch listened silently. Although he wanted to say something, he allowed Yuzuka to continue.

"My older brother became a TSF pilot while my older sister, the middle child, became an engineer who worked for both my father's company and the military, acting as a liaison at times," Yuzuka said, before falling silent for a moment, adding. "They were both in Kyushu when the BETA invasion happened, and my mother was trying to help my dad's grandparents living in Kumamoto. She tried to escape, but her chance to evacuate was denied because members of the Royal Guard were prioritizing their own families and friends, hogging the much needed transports to escape. They were prioritizing protecting "politically important" places rather than strategic ones or the cities."

Lelouch observed Yuzuka's expression, noticing both sadness and anger mixed together. He now understood where Yuzuka's distrust of the elitists of the Royal Guard came from. He wondered if the demise of her siblings must've been tied to that as well, but opted against asking her.

"I am sorry for your loss," Lelouch said, with an expression of understanding.

"That's okay. It was unfair for you to share something personal with me, so we're even."

"It wasn't necessary, but thank you."

"Not at all," Yuzuka said, before deciding to change the subject. "So, what is the plan for tomorrow?"

"We should try to call the others and learn where they stand with their objectives," Lelouch suggested, accepting the change in subject.

"Do you think they accomplished their objectives?"

"I wish I knew, but our radios have limited use," Lelouch answered.

"Right, but I hope the others are doing alright."

"I am sure Haruka and Tsukiko are doing fine since they've both done the evaluation before, but…"

"But?" Yuzuka inquired as Lelouch looked to the side.

"I am worried about the other two."

A/N: Whew a short chapter, but the other two should make up for it with chapter 11 ready to go, but I'll be posting it in two weeks from today as normal.

Worthy of note is that I had to be creative with Yuzuka's backstory because while it was well out of my limited budget to the Day After visual novels there was a YouTube walkthrough I was able to watch, which I found no further details on how Yuzuka's mother, older brother and older sister had died. The wiki had nothing beyond the fact they were dead and her dad was still alive, which I also watched said walkthrough to see if he appeared so I could gauge what he is like, but no I didn't see him. So I had to be creative with it, making it in a way that matches her issues with the Royal Guard to keep her in character as much as possible since she is appearing much earlier than in canon. My experts in all things Muv Luv, and main beta Silkdreamweaver and Jameyofthemegacosmos, didn't seem to mind the idea, so I figured it was cool.

Lelouch and Yuzuka's challenge was tricky, since as I've said I did want to make it both challenging and demanding teamwork, so I hope it worked. Also the gun they found, it was based off of the anti-tank rifle used by Burt Gummer from Tremors 2, the Grizzly Single Shot .50 Caliber BMG, so yeah wonder WHY they would need something like that. As for Yuzuka's strength, she isn't super strong, but considering how in the Day After and outside of it (like in her summer variant from Muv Luv Dimensions where she has one in her hand) she has been shown with an ax which I thought could mean she was much stronger than she looks to have a preference for them and her finding a military ax was a shout out too.

As for Asagi and Haruko's test, let's just say there's will be more psychological in nature.

No new specs for this chapter, at least until chapter fourteen.

But I do look forward to chapter thirteen being posted, because its probably the best in character moments and development I have ever done.

Thank you all for reading this chapter and I thank you all in advance for your feedback, they are always encouraging and very much appreciated.

"Competition for the throne must be crazy," Yuzuka said, reeling from that revelation. "I don't think the Emperor of Japan at any point in history had that many consorts."
Yeah figured a Japanese wouldn't be surprised about polygamy considering their history. Asia in general tbh

Yeah figured a Japanese wouldn't be surprised about polygamy considering their history. Asia in general tbh

True, but in fairness Yuzuka is from a more modern family who probably look down on that kind of thing, but while those from the Royal Guard families might be different depending on who you ask.

ah, this is the part where they go to the island to graduate, where in the fucking visual novel it's 7 hours of reading ☠️

Yes, but thankfully it not seven hours of reading, it would've just two chapters that could've taken maybe less than an hour on how fast you read, if not for the decision to spilt it into three chapters. Which should still take less than an hour all together to read. So if nothing else is should be a much faster reading experience once all three chapters are up.

Ah, polygamy.
Gotta occupy the crotch and face for a reason.
Anywho!
Looks like a heart to heart has taken place.
Very good.
Yes, good.
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Ah, polygamy.
Gotta occupy the crotch and face for a reason.
Anywho!
Looks like a heart to heart has taken place.
Very good.
Yes, good.
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Well I will say its partly the influnce of the betas, but anyway....

Yes the first of many heart to hearts to form stronger bonds of comradery among the squad and bonds of friendship to unify them more.

"About that comment earlier, back at the start. Is it true? That you stole a car once?"

Yuzuka's question was not unexpected, but it still caught Lelouch off guard. Her voice sounded calm, but he could tell it was a facade. He had already been through this before with Nunnally so he decided to play up his audacity.

"I did."

"When exactly did you do such a thing?"

"About six years ago."

"Six years," Yuzuka was taken aback. Her face grew hot as she tightened her grip on her axe. "You stole a car when you were nine years old!? Do you know how dangerous it is!? What were you thinking back then!?"

"For a correction, I was ten years old," Lelouch replied despite knowing it would make her angrier. "For clarification, I only jump-started the car when we took it. My friend did the actual driving."

"Still, doing that isn't just crazy, that's just plain stupid! And I assume your friend was the same age? I hope you two were caught and got quite the spanking for it!"

"Sorry to get your hopes up, but we didn't," Lelouch smirked.

"How were you not caught?" Yuzuka inquired, raising her axe. "What happened back then? Was your friend that good of a driver?"

In case you are wondering, this was based on the audio drama below.

War of the Seven Kings Ch11 New

Thanks to everyone who commented and left a like they are greatly appreciated and always encouraging.

Also the poll on my profile page is still ongoing with the vote still favoring Ichika going with Lelouch by 15 to 11.

Chapter 11

Graduation Part II

Just as the other two pairs dealt with their objectives, Asagi and Haruko faced their own. Unlike the other two teams, they had no prior experience with the Comprehensive Skill Evaluation beyond what Haruka and Tsukiko had told them. While helpful, they feared it wouldn't be enough. Especially given how much Marimo had increased the difficulty against them in the mock battle.

However, while Asagi and Haruko found their objective, they were troubled by what they were seeing, especially Asagi.

"What is this red stuff on the walls?" Asagi said, feeling uneasy.

"Ugh, I want to know what that smell is," Haruko replied.

"Is this blood or something? Can't be, but why is there so much of it at this old missile base?" Asagi questioned as her face slightly paled.

"It has to be some trick to mess with us. I mean, I don't see any guards to keep us out and that chain link fence looks easy enough to climb over," Haruko said, before using a running start to scale the fence.

Once on the other side, she gestured for Asagi to follow her.

Despite her unease and how nauseous the smell was, Asagi was able to easily climb over the fence.

"No guards, no cameras, no nothing," Asagi commented before she noticed more dried blood at the entrance of the facility. She couldn't shake her growing uneasiness.

"I don't like it either, but why all of this blood? Maybe it's all an effort to psyche us out or something," Haruko tried to explain. "If it makes you feel better, I can go first."

"Sure, I'll take up the rear," Asagi replied following Haruko as the pair journeyed to the entrance leading underground.

Still Haruko wasn't taking any chances, she found an old rusted pipe and still had some rocks on hand. However, unlike the forest where they could spot such traps with the sun's light, as they ventured deeper into the underground depths of the missile base the darkness would be far from accommodating. Thankfully, the two did have a flashlight on hand to help them to navigate the interior of the base.

"Did they have to smear that stuff all over the place?" Asagi complained, wanting to throw up from the smell.

"Let's just hurry through this place and get out, they are just trying to freak us out."

"Okay, but what are we supposed to find?"

"Probably in the base's control room or somewhere near it. That would seem like the most likely area to search," Haruko replied, while struggling to ignore the horrible stench.

Ahead their path was blocked by a collapsed platform that led out into an old missile silo that was empty, forcing the pair to head down a set of stairs leading further underground. Following the hallway, the group came across a row of lockers, which probably had equipment and tools for use in the silo. The lockers were quite large, so when Asagi decided to inspect one while Haruko was looking around, checking if any of them were boobytrapped, the one she opened had a body suddenly fall upon her.

"AHHHHHH!" Asagi screamed, shoving the body before backing away in fright until she hit the wall.

Then, unaware of her surroundings as her mind was occupied with thoughts of escape. Haruko had to put the flashlight down and grab the panicking blonde woman as she tried to calm her down.

"Asagi, get a hold off of yourself!" Haruko shouted trying to get through to Asagi, but when she kept hyperventilating, Haruko was forced to slap her to get her mind to focus. "Calm down and look at me. That isn't a dead body."

Haruko knelt next to the body while flashing a light upon the so-called corpse that fell on Asagi, at a glance it looked like a body dressed in an old military uniform with brown hair. However, the skin was a transparent yellow. Removing the brown hair, which was nothing more than a wig attached to the head, they could see a visible skull under the transparent skin.

"This is a ballistic gel dummy. They come complete with its own human-like skeleton and blood provided by fake organs placed inside. They use these as test dummies when gauging the durability and stress of TSF cockpits to make sure the pilot would be safe," Haruko said, calmingly assessing the situation. "If the dummy was damaged in any way, they could see how. Whether it was stress from the G-Forces while piloting or injuries from damage to the cockpit itself."

"Why the heck is one here!?"

"I don't know, but I suspect parts of this objective was made with you in mind?"

"Me," Asagi exclaimed, surprised.

"You seem to be the only one who isn't handling this place well, so you tell me?" Haruko replied, stepping away from the fallen dummy.

"I…I…"

"Maybe you should just wait outside, I can probably continue on my own," Haruko offered.

"Uh, are you sure?" Asagi asked, hesitant to let her friend and fellow squad mate continue alone despite her fear.

"You could stay, but I don't want to have to calm you down if we run into a trap or something," Haruko explained.

"But they'll probably make sure whatever is ahead would require both of us to complete," Asagi pointed out, something even Haruko had to acknowledge.

"You're probably right. Alright, keep a distance and let me go ahead."

"O-Okay," Asagi said, feeling ashamed of her fear.

They are doing this because they know about my accident in Kyoto.

Asagi recalled when she attended a specialized technical school in her last few years, studying to become an engineer. She still remembered it as if it were yesterday when the BETA had reached Kyoto. She had been reluctant to leave her roommate behind and had been trying to convince her to leave. But the woman refused to leave the city without her grandmother, who refused to leave her apartment in downtown Kyoto. The pair tried to reason with her when it happened.

Asagi would learn later that a Destroyer had rammed the building she and her roommate were in. The whole thing collapsed, but Asagi luckily survived as she was buried under the rubble.

Unfortunately, her roommate, her grandmother, and others still in the building were not lucky. Even worse, Asagi could see their corpses and their limbs sticking out from the debris due to the fires and barely working lights. Asagi desperately tried to escape, but her legs were pinned and she was trapped. For a while there she laid there, haunted by the knowledge that she was buried alive with the dead.

Thankfully, something had caused the rubble to give way, giving Asagi a chance to escape. She was later found by rescue teams searching Kyoto for survivors.

Once the draft called for her, Asagi accepted immediately, wanting to avenge her friend and family and having nowhere else to go. Despite the rough training, she could take it due to the images of the dead burned into her mind. Or at least that's what she thought back then. There was one other incident where a recruit injured herself and had to be taken to the infirmary, resulting in a sudden relapse on that day. Asagi managed to shrug it off afterward, thinking that she was okay.

She didn't tell anyone about it, but those in the infirmary departments probably knew otherwise. The instructor staff probably learned about it from the background check and psych test the military does.

They got the better of me there, figuring out that I had this condition. Asagi slowed her breathing and wiped the sweat off her head. I just…I just…

"Asagi, hang in there," Haruko patted Asagi's back, startling her.

"WHA-"

"Asagi! Asagi!" Haruko hugged her, afraid she would panic again. "Asagi, please…"

"Sorry. I just…"

"I'm not going anywhere, and it's not about the training," Haruko told her. "Look, I admit that I don't know about the death of a loved one or friends, so I have no right to say anything about that,. but I know that people are counting on us, especially Lelouch. I honestly don't know why he was chosen either, but I do know that we were picked for a reason, just like he was, and it was not to be cannon fodder."

"I…I…"

"Just breathe, Asagi," Haruko encouraged.

"You're…" Asagi's breathing slowed down. "You're right, Haruko. I'm…sorry that you had to see me in such a sorry state."

"Let's take it one step at a time then," Haruko said, encouragingly.

With Haruko taking the lead, she and Asagi made their way through the rest of the missile base. As they proceeded they found other dummies dressed up as military personnel and prisoners with weapons, ranging from handguns to knives.

"Looks like all of this was to simulate an escape attempt," Haruko said, kneeling down next to one of the bodies to inspect one of the handguns. "Of course none of these weapons are real."

"Then that means the guy we are supposed to save?"

"Is probably among the dead, but we should still look around for anything we can use," Haruko suggested as she began searching the bodies of the dead." Asagi, why don't you check out the desk in that office over there?"

"Uh…sure," Asagi replied, relieved she wasn't asked to search for anything on the bodies.

Even knowing the corpses were fake, she felt uneasy about all of it. It still felt like the dummies were staring at them.

Their searches were fruitless. Neither girl found anything useful, so the pair moved onto another part of the base. They repeated this while being mindful of traps. Neither had a watch, so it was hard to tell how much time had passed, but eventually their searching led Haruko and Asagi to find an interrogation room with a body inside.

It was slumped over, while the body was securely tied to a metal chair.

"I guess that was the guy we were meant to find," Haruko said, seeing their objective was a dummy. They clearly weren't meant to find a live person for their objective.

"So maybe what we're supposed to find is on him," Asagi said, as her face paled as she realized what the exercise for the exam may be.

"Maybe we don't have to go that far," Haruko replied, trying to dispel Asagi's worries. She was also feeling squeamish at the idea of cutting the dummy open to retrieve whatever they needed.

Pulling the chair with the dead dummy away, Haruko began turning out the dummy's pockets. Meanwhile, to distract herself, Asagi began searching the room next to the interrogation room. Checking the pocket, drawers and anything else within the room for anything that could be the intel they sought. Time passed as the pair continued their search, but neither had found anything.

Please be here. I really don't want to cut this dummy open, fake or not, Haruko thought as she removed the dummy's shoes, hoping whatever intel was hidden inside.

With a sigh Haruko removed the shirt of the dummy, and began trying to look through the transparent skin for signs of what they were looking for. There in the stomach, Haruko caught sight of a thin metal cylinder. Which was good as she found what they were looking for, but also it meant she would have to cut open the dummy to get it.

"The damn thing is going to spray all over the place, isn't it?" Haruko complained, putting on the jacket of the dummy and trying to cover herself as much as possible using other clothing articles nearby.

Reluctantly, Haruko cut into the transparent flesh. Sure enough once Haruko had cut deep enough, blood erupted from it, making a mess on her. Thankfully, the jacket protected her from much of the mess.

"I know it's fake, but damn this feels nasty and it smells bad too," Haruko complained, struggling not to gag on the horrible smell. Nearly throwing up in the effort, Haruko retrieved the cylinder.

"What the heck happened?" Asagi asked from the doorway, noticing the blood all over Haruko.

"I got what we needed, let's get out of here!"

"Right, but maybe once we're out, we should go to the shore so you can clean up," Asagi said, forced to cover her nose from the smell.

"No kidding, all the more reason to get the heck out of this place," Haruko said in agreement before noticing something in Asagi's hands. "What's that?"

"I am not sure," Asagi admitted, holding what appeared to be a case. "But given how new it looks compared to everything in this place, it might be useful so I took it."

"Good call. Haruka mentioned that these tests usually leave tools for the teams to find. Such tools are intended to help them through the final objective," Haruko explained, glad for Asagi's discovery. "We'll look at it once we're out."

Yuzuka and Lelouch awoke the following morning. After breakfast the two cleaned up and made sure to leave the place as they left it. Considering the building would still be in service after the exam, it was best not to leave it in a state that could get them in trouble. Lelouch and Yuzuka did take advantage of the fact the house had fresh running water to refill their canteens. They also used some plastic and duct tape they found to fashion some make-shift water skins to carry more water. Not just for themselves, but their fellow teammates.

Upon finishing their preparations Yuzuka and Lelouch left the house behind them. Should they or any of the others need it again, Lelouch left one of the first-floor windows open enough for someone to pry open with their fingers..

"So we're going to the missile silo first?" Yuzuka asked, wanting to confirm their plan.

And to break the silence that had become unbearable for her.

"Yes, but the quickest route would take us near the other team's objective. So we'll go by their objective to see if we can't get lucky and run into them," Lelouch answered.

"Alright, so it's onto the missile silo, then the last objective?"

"That's right," Lelouch wondered. I hope nothing has gone wrong for the others, Lelouch thought.

Haruka laid out her plan to Tsukiko after the two awoke after a difficult night of sleeping in the trees.

"I say we gather what metal and anything we can use for rope so we can set up distractions to draw them away. If it works we can make a run for the building then get inside before they come back," Haruka suggested. "These drones should respond to motion, so we just need to make a lot of motion they can't ignore."

"So how are we going to do this? I doubt that will draw them away for long?"

"I got an idea for that," Haruka replied

They worked on gathering supplies for the next two hours. They got lucky that they found some rope; old as it was, it would be enough to serve their purposes. Once they were finished, the pair readied their distraction and timer, consisting of a piece of rope slowly rubbing against a sharp, jagged piece of metal, allowing Haruka and Tsukiko to put some distance between them and their diversion.

"I hope this idea works," Tsukiko said, wiping sweat from her brow.

"Me too. Once the drones move away make for the building," Haruka said as she and Tsukiko got ready to run.

"Yeah and I am ready with our key to the building," Tsukiko said, checking that the brick she was carrying in one of her pouches was secured since they would need to scale the fence surrounding the building as quickly as possible.

Waiting for what felt like hours, the rope eventually snapped, releasing their distraction.

An old metal wagon, the kind a child would've owned with a crudely made metal scarecrow with a bell and metal hanging from its limbs to create as much noise and movement as possible. The road it was rolling down, brought it close to the building and within sight of the drones. Although parts of the asphalt road were in disrepair, it was still usable for the wagon to roll down the road.

"GO!" Haruka shouted as the drones were lured away.

Haruka and Tsukiko made a mad dash for the building, climbing over the fence before running for the entrance. The drones hadn't returned yet, but they could hear gunfire meaning their time was running out.

Only there was a problem, the brick Tsukiko had been carrying had fallen from the pouch she had it in.

"Tsukiko, the window!"

"I got it," Tsukiko said, sprinting towards the window.

She jumped up, using her arms as a shield as she dove through the window, shattering the glass. Tsukiko had managed to land on her feet after turning her body through the window, avoiding potential injury. Haruka followed behind her.

They could've tried the doors, but neither one wanted to risk a locked door.

"Tsukiko, are you alright?"

"I am fine," Tsukiko replied, noticing cuts on her arms.

The cuts were light with slight bleeding.

"Let's get further inside so I can take care of that," Haruka advised, offering a hand to help Tsukiko up.

Moving into the hallway beyond their room, Haruka pulled out the first aid kit. Despite their limited supplies, Haruka needed to take care of Tsukiko's injuries to prevent an infection.

"Okay, that should do it," Haruka stated as she finished tending to Tsukiko's injuries.

"Thanks," Tsukiko said, flexing her arms. "I hope there is a way to turn those drones off."

"The control center should have something to turn them off. If I can get there, I should be able to shut them off."

"And if we don't, we become big, fat targets for those drones."

"Not quite," Haruka shook her head. "While observing the drones, I recognized their patterns. It seems they don't go anywhere near the control room. In a real-life scenario, it would be to avoid collateral damage and destruction of the equipment that coordinates them properly."

"So, we have to be careful of any other drones out there, but once we're there we should be clear."

"For this part of the journey, yes," Haruka nodded in agreement.

While the drones outside were a threat, Haruka and Tsukiko knew that just getting into the building was step one. From past experience in the last evaluation they took part in, there would be drones inside. They likely wouldn't be armed with live rounds, which was to avoid damaging the building which was old and left to the mercy of the elements. Drones shooting around inside the building couldn't compromise its integrity or damage the power sources needed to keep them operating.

But that didn't mean the drones within the building wouldn't be a danger in their own way.

Cautiously Haruka tossed a small rock out into the hallway leading to their destination, checking if there were any drones or traps lying in wait.

When nothing happened Haruka gestured for Tsukiko to follow. The pair silently went through the building to avoid any potential noise base traps or drones. Hopefully, the drones would act like the drones on the outside.

With that in mind the pair cautiously advanced deeper into the building.

But as they progressed deeper, their path was blocked by new automated drones. This time, they were all land-based with four wheels meant for flat terrain..

How did they ever make things like that? Tsukiko wondered as she ran. They're small, so they shouldn't be too hard to take out.

Something shot from the center of the drone, which looked like a wire or cable. It barely missed her, but she could feel an electric current passing through it.

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Haruka and Tsukiko retreated and hid in an empty room after backtracking far enough so the drones didn't see them enter. Once inside the two women closed the door to talk strategy.

"Well, you were right about a few drones patrolling the hallways," Tuskiko remarked.

"Those machines are different from the ones we saw," Haruka remarked. "Those ground drones must be used for incapacitating and detaining intruders to cover for their inability to use lethal force."

"Right, because live rounds could cause too much collateral damage," Tsukiko said, nodding her head.

"They seem to react to motion and not noise, just like the drones outside," Haruka deduced, recalling how one of the drones attacked Tsukiko while they had avoided making any noise.

"Stay here, I think I got a way to handle this. First I need some way for them to follow me," Tsukiko said, an idea came to mind.

"What are you planning?"

"Trust me, just wait here," Tsukiko said, carrying out a quick survey of the room.

The room had likely been a supply room, judging by the empty storage cabinets, and broken crates and storage containers. Unsurprisingly, it had been stripped of any potential weapons, but Tsukiko found a few things to fashion some make-shift tools to help her.

Haruka didn't ask any questions, but only quietly observed.

Using what had been a mop, Tsukiko fashioned a make-shift spear using her knife to sharpen one end after breaking off the head. Then using said knife to cut some tarp she found sticking out of an old crate before attaching it to some old cans, using the cut pieces to tie them together. Finally she found an old broom, which broke off the broom end to make a second spear.

"Ok, just stay here," Tsukiko said, exiting the room with her weapons in hand.

"Tell me what are you doing!?"

Tsukiko had already left the room and soon found the stone she had seen earlier, it seemed it hadn't moved from its position.

If only I could've lured it down the hall, but I guess I'll make due, Tsukiko thought, waiting for the drone to fire its taser.

Tsukiko dodged and in response hurled the spear she crafted from a mop at the drone. The weapon struck where the launched wires were being drawn back into for another shot. Seizing the moment, Tsukiko hurried to the drone, delivering a kick hard enough it smashed it into the wall breaking it.

"One down, but there are probably more," Tsukiko said triumphantly.

Advancing down the hallway, Tsukiko found enough, but broken cables and wires hanging from the ceiling combined with vines made it difficult to use the second spear. So Tsukiko used the tarp, having attached a broken pipe she found to fashion a handle allowing her to hold it up in front of her. The moving cans caused the drone to target them while Tsukiko was hidden from view making her hard to target.

Once Tsukiko closed the distance, she destroyed the second drone with a kick, smashing it. Thankfully the drones weren't very durable

Two down, Tsukiko thought.

Turning a corner, Tsukiko found another drone patrolling a doorway, which Tsukiko noticed electronic lights on the other side of. Readying the second spear, Tsukiko threw it, after dodging its attack, and like before the spear found its mark, stunning the machine, allowing Tsukiko to close the distance to destroy using another kick.

"This must be the control room," Tsukiko said, breathing heavily from slight fatigue.

As she was about to open the door to investigate, Haruka's voice called out from the hall behind her.

"BEHIND YOU!"

Tsukiko reacted instantly, raising her makeshift shield. Had she been a second slower, she would've been tased by a fourth drone. Tsukiko didn't know how she missed it, but it must've been hiding nearby. Tsukiko threw her tarp upon it before breaking it with a drop kick.

But it wasn't over yet, a patrolling fifth drone had arrived, and it was closing in on Tsukiko.

With nothing left, Tsukiko's options seem limited, but…

It will be hard to do it with a slightly cut leg. Tsukiko shook her head at the thought. I can't let that bother me now. It's the only way to take down some of those drones.\

Running towards the dead end of a smaller hallway near the command center, Tsukiko kicked off the walls, bouncing between them. Turning around completely in mid-air, evading the taser attack from the last drone before delivering a kick to the drone, destroying it.

"So, how was that?" Tsukiko asked her teammate, who broke out of her stupor.

"You…you just did an Allbright Turn right there! Don't realize how hard it is to pull off that maneuver!?"

When she had prosthetics, Haruka might have performed the maneuver more accurately and safely. Seeing Tsukiko do it with normal legs almost made her heart stop. Even though they could grow new legs, she did not feel the courage to do such a feat herself.

"Yeah, that was it," Tsukiko confirmed before gesturing for Haruka to follow her into the control. "But why don't you get to work turning the drones off so I can take a break?"

"Good idea," Haruka said as she and Tsukiko entered the control room, after the latter used a part of the drone she broke to smash the see-through glass so she could unlock the door.

Once they were inside, Haruka found a computer linked to transmitters and wires going up into the ceiling and others going into a room behind the control room. It is likely where the recharge stations for the ground-based drones were.

"There doesn't seem to be any high-level encryptions protecting this system, so it should take me just a couple minutes to shut the drones down," Haruka said, using a keyboard at the station to access the control system.

"Then I'll look for our objective?"

"Actually, I think this computer operates the radar, once I unlock the system, I can shut it down completing our objective," Haruka said with a smile.

"Ok, in that case I'll look for anything we can use. The Evaluation always leaves some tool or weapon you can use," Tsukiko said, as she began searching the control center.

Surveying the room, Tsukiko found a handle electronic device. It was fairly large, being about the size of a toaster, with an antenna. Examining it, Tsukiko quickly deduced its function when she turned it on.

"I found something, it looks like a portable radar," Tsukiko said, inspecting the device.

"Good, we'll take it with us. It will likely be key to the final challenge ahead," Haruka said with approval.

"How is it coming along?"

Haruka sighed, "It has been barely a minute, give me some more time."

An hour later, Lelouch and Yuzuka arrived at the town, near the command center where Haruka and Tsukiko were, or at least where they knew the second group would be. Unaware of what kind of dangers lurked or guarded the objective, the pair were cautious as they approached. It had been roughly a few hours since they left the lighthouse, so Lelouch and Yuzuka were hoping the second group was still in the area otherwise they would have to use their radios which have a limited use.

"I am not seeing anything, are you?" Yuzuka asked, while looking around for a better vantage point to help them with their search.

"No, but I see you are looking for a higher vantage point, which I think that might help us," Lelouch commented.

"No need for that," Haruka said, as she and Tsukiko came into view, the latter carrying the portable radar.

"I knew I heard voices," Tsukiko said, smiling, glad they had found the other group.

"I take it you two were successful," Lelouch said, noticing the portable device Tsukiko was carrying.

"It wasn't easy for sure," Tsukiko replied with a sigh.

"Indeed we just finished not too long ago, but our objective is finished," Haruka said with a light smile, noticing the rifle Lelouch was carrying. "Any chance, were you two responsible for that explosion we heard yesterday?"

"That was us, after we got far away before the bomb went off," Yuzuka repiled.

"Then that means Asagi and Haruko have the missile silo then," Lelouch deduced by an easy process of elimination.

"It makes you wonder what they must be having to face?" Haruka questioned, wondering what they were facing. She was also curious as to what challenge Lelouch and Yuzuka had to face.

"Yes, but unlike you two, they had no prior experience of any previous Evaluation to work with," Lelouch explained, expressing his concern for them.

"You're right, we should rendezvous with them as soon as possible," Haruka agreed with a nod.

"What did you two face?" Tsukiko asked, as the group began walking towards their next destination.

The two pairings each recounted the tales behind the objectives they faced and how they overcame them. Marimo was in a control room of a nearby base hidden on the island, using GPS tracking devices in the dog tags of Lelouch's squad to track them, and indirectly monitor their progress. All they needed to do now was reunite, but even then the final objective they needed to clear would be difficult to put it mildly.

Looks like they accomplished their objectives sooner than expected, Marimo noted, unaware that someone approached behind her. Now, to see how they'll settle the twist of mission. If it's ever needed, that is.

"You've really made the exam dangerous indeed," a voice behind Marimo remarked, who turned around to see a familiar man.

"Sir," Marimo quickly turned around to offer a quick salute.

"At ease," Eiji replied, after returning the salute. "I am only here to check on the current progress of the squad."

"Of course, sir," Marimo reported as she turned around. "They have just about completed the first stretch of the operation. A bit more quickly than expected, even with the obstacles used to test their weaknesses."

"It seems they are doing well," Eiji remarked. "It appears the boy Miss Takamura has been working with for the past few months lives up to his reputation."

"Despite the increased difficulty, Lelouch is passing with flying colors," Marimo confirmed. "I was first concerned that he would be arrogant in a fight against the BETA, considering his previously poor physical performance prior to training. The power of the machine and his usual comfort in commanding an army behind the scenes didn't help much. However, it looks like the brutal training regimen is paying off."

"Then it seems that Miss Takamura has certainly fallen into the hands of a great man," Eiji commented. Marimo felt a tone of joy in his voice. Considering his relationship with Yui and her father, the designer of the Zuikaku TSFs, it wasn't surprising that the head of R&D would be concerned for her wellbeing. "I believe Her Majesty will be grateful you are going the extra mile to make it difficult."

Eiji's remark prompted Marimo to smile. However, that also brought a concern she has as well.

"Her Majesty will be pleased with his performance despite the challenges we've added. It will further prove the kind of man he is, showing how he's earned his right machine. However…"

"Yes," Eiji narrowed his eyes, anticipating something critical.

"I am worried, mindful of the politics surrounding Lelouch and his machine," Marimo said, with Eiji recognizing what she suspected. "Rumors have most certainly spread throughout the Japanese military and government. There is more to his machine and its technology than Lelouch himself, but I can imagine how everyone has been reacting to them. The most concerning part, though, is the fact the pilot we have is, by our world's standards, an American."

"That's another reason why I was here," Eiji sighed, knowing Marimo was right. She just didn't know exactly how the other nations had been reacting and how Japan was dealing with it. "But saying that it has taken the international community by storm would be an understatement. You can take the UN, for example, after what just happened in Kyoto."

"I have no doubt about that, sir," Marimo sighed with him as she turned her chair around. "To get to the point, how has the world and our nation reacted to it so far?"

"To start, you have the usual suspects," Eiji started.

"The United States." Marimo didn't have to guess who he inferred. "I doubt they know about Lelouch or his given nationality. But as the currently leading nation in the community, if you can still call them that, they certainly have been thrown for a loop. Of all of them, they are my reason for why I considered our newest tech to be more harmful than helpful."

"Even if we want to, sharing something we barely understand is beyond difficult," Eiji admitted. "Even with all of the technology and information Claude provided us, replicating it, yet alone reverse engineering it, is far from easy with our time and resources stretched thin."

"You intend to offer something to the UN?" Marimo realized his intentions. "A joint development project, I suppose?"

"There is also the issue of Lelouch being from another world. Even if the world doesn't know that, he could likely find and bring back new technologies on his journey, so having more resources and scientists who could help could quicken what Japan on its own could do," Eiji confirmed, glad Marimo picked up on that detail. "For the time being, we are keeping the US and Russia out of that agreement until we are in a better position to dictate terms with them."

"While the other countries who haven't been fond of US dominance within the UN are rallying around Japan as head of the opposition."

"The Shogun has been successful in negotiating with countries behind the US and Russia's back, and through the UN, she has been using it to put pressure on the US to keep to their treaty obligations if they want in on the new multinational project dubbed Project Unity. The other countries are already offering production facilities and scientists to enhance our efforts. Terms and agreements among other specifics just need to be worked out."

"It sounds like quite the political victory for Japan," Marimo noted.

"Yes, but negotiations are still in the early stages even if Japan is in a very favorable political bargaining position at the moment."

"Of course," Marimo said, before asking another question. "If I may sir, what about our people?"

"That is a slippery slope," Eiji admitted, while international bargaining efforts have been favorable for Japan so far, it seems opinions among the people and military are different. "From what we are gathering it seems people in the military are divided on the matter surrounding Lelouch."

"As expected I am sure."

"Indeed, despite his origins he is regarded as an American and there are many, despite his efforts in Kyoto, who don't really see him in a favorable light," Eiji replied. As Marimo said, neither Eiji nor she weren't surprised by this revelation. "All because he isn't Japanese."

"Proving himself to them won't be easy?"

"Yes and as if that wasn't a problem, already there are people who are rightfully angry over the incident involving Lieutenant-General Ayamine earlier this year before the invasion," Eiji said with a sigh, recalling that unfortunate incident.

"Given the outrage that caused among our people I can't say I am shocked it has remained in the minds of many in Japan," Marimo said, recalling that incident.

Early in the year in January, the Gwangju Operation was conducted jointly between the forces of the Japanese military, the UN, the United Front of China, and Consolidation of South-East Asian Nations, or COSEAN for short. Their goal was to support the UN and COSEAN forces withdrawal from the Korean peninsula, as the BETA were becoming too overwhelming for them to maintain the defense lines, which were expected to collapse within a month.

What became known as the Tragedy of the Gwangju Operation, Japanese forces began prioritizing rescuing local civilians who were denied refugee status and a chance to evacuate by COSEAN and the UN, an honorable and just action to be sure. Unfortunately while they were occupied with their rescue efforts the BETA launched a massive attack, but the Japanese Military occupied with saving the local civilians the UN base was overran resulting in its loss and the UN suffering considerable casualties.

Although no one could've predicted the BETA was going to attack, the incident became an international nightmare for the Japanese, as the UN demanded Lieutenant-General Shuukaku Ayamine to face an international military tribunal. Complicating the matter was the fact that many within the military and the Japanese people defended the Lieutenant General's actions. In the end, not wanting to risk international support, aware that the fall of the Korean Peninsula would mean Japan would face an invasion by the BETA in the future, and not to mention the lost of UN support for a project they were working with the Japanese on, the Prime Minister of Japan, Kurechika Sakaki reluctantly compiled and handed the man over to the UN leading to a lot of outrage in Japan.

To the surprise of no one Shuukaku Ayamine was found guilty of desertion, overlooking the civilians whose lives he had saved.

"Given how much Japan had been lost to the BETA in such a short time, I can't imagine this would add fuel to a growing fire of dissent within our ranks," Eiji said, and his expression suggested an unspoken concern Marimo noticed.

"Are you expecting a coup within the military might happen?"

"Considering all that has happened, it would be foolish to ignore the possibility. More so since the chain of command is in tatters right now as we work to rebuild it. All the more reason we need to win big in the coming battles, against both the BETA and in the political arena."

Meanwhile two hours later, Lelouch and his group arrived at the missile silo looking for Haruko and Asagi. Everyone hoped the two missing members of their squad had chosen to stay nearby. Lelouch and Haruka began searching while Tsukiko decided to use the radio to call out to them. They had been using them sparingly due to the limited battery each were intentionally left with, forcing them to converse their usage as much as possible.

Despite that, the drain on the battery was noticeable.

"Asagi and Haruko, do you copy?"

After a moment of silence there was a response from Haruko, "We hear you."

Tsukiko was relieved, "What is your status, we are approaching your objective?"

"We're fine, the objective was just more psychological in nature," Haruko replied.

"Understood, we're near the objective's fence coming up from the south, can you rendezvous with us?"

"We see you, we're coming," Haruko replied over the radio.

After spotting the group from a distance, Haruko and Asagi eagerly reunited with the rest of their squad. However, Yuzuka noticed the blood stains over Haruko's clothes.

"What happened to you?"

"I would rather…we not talk about it, but I will say I spent an hour trying to clean my clothes in the ocean with very limited success," Haruko said, mostly keeping quiet out of consideration for Asagi given what happened yesterday.

Not to mention the time she spent at the shore in a vain effort to try to get the blood stains out left her with being left in the nude for much of the day and into the night. Combined with being cold while waiting for her clothes to dry, although she could've taken clothes from one of the dummies, none of which unfortunately could fit her. She did wear them until her clothes dried the following morning.

"Understood, but I trust you were successful?" Lelouch questioned, no one minding if he moved the conversation along.

"Yeah," Asagi said, handing over a rolled up document that had been in the cylinder Haruko got from the dummy corpse. "It looks like a map of where the extraction point is."

"Good let's look it over then begin heading towards it," Lelouch said, as he began examining the map, Haruka looked over his shoulder as did Yuzuka.

"That location, it looks like the extraction point is at the old airfield at the eastern end of the island, just opposite of the lighthouse," Haruka said.

"How do you know?" Lelouch inquired.

"We found a map of the island in the command center, which we took with us," Tsukiko said, opening a pocket on her pants leg to pull out a folded up map of the island.

"I see, that is an unexpected boon," Lelouch said, growing suspicious of their good fortune.

A suspicion fueled by the items they've found, a powerful rifle, and a portable radar.

Wait, I'll need to ask if Asagi and Haruko found anything else, Lelouch thought, as it could be a clue in deducing what they could be facing as a final obstacle.

"So if we go this way, we should reach the airbase tomorrow morning," Haruka said, comparing the two maps looking at their current location and their destination.

"We could stop at this cluster of houses for the night, it would give us some shelter for the night," Yuzuka suggested, pointing to what seemed to be a structure along the way on the map Tsukiko held.

"Asagi, what are you carrying?" Lelouch asked, noticing the black case she was carrying.

"This, we're not sure?" Asagi replied, handing the case to Lelouch who opened it.

Upon inspecting the case's contents, Lelouch saw it was a kind of electronic device with an antenna that could be extended. Haruka joined in, but quickly recognized what it was.

"That's an electronic jamming device, when it's turned on it will disrupt nearby electronic devices especially remote control drones," Haruka replied.

"Now that would've been useful earlier," Tsukiko said sarcastically, folding her arms under her chest.

"Or it could mean that what we'll face as our final obstacle will be a drone operated machine," Lelouch pointed out.

"That could be true since my team and I faced an automated turret in our evaluation last year," Haruka suggested. An assessment Lelouch agreed with a nod.

"Either way we should get moving so we can cover as much ground as we can before it gets dark," Yuzuka mentioned. No one was opposed to her idea.

"Agreed, let's move out," Lelouch suggested before he and his squad headed for their destination.

A/N: After much debate I thought it would be interesting for Haruko and Asagi's test to be more psychological in nature as a challenge, since it was to test if they could keep their cool in such situations.

While her background before the Day After is unknown, I did work out a plausible backstory going off of her appearance (which I assume made her a few years older than Yuzuka and Hibiki at the time, so I assumed that put in her late high school years or just starting collage when the Invasion of Kyoto happened, with the specialized school she was going to being a preparatory school), and the story of being trapped in a collapsed building to better fit with what was known about her.

As for Tsukiko and Haruka's test I was worried when using drones, since while I wanted to make sure they could succeed, but also not make it impossible which was my biggest worry with it. Tsukiko using that move in the chapter was a nod to an event where she tried to use it in a TSF, but her first attempt to use it didn't end well for her let's just say. That will be elaborated more upon in chapter sixteen.

Including the bit about the chain of command being in shambles in more detail, but that will be touched at various points in the upcoming chapters.

The next chapter shall be the final test, after the group rest up, not knowing what they will face to complete their test.

Thank you for reading this chapter, and all comments and likes are always appreciated, and encouraging to see.

Also the poll on my profile page is still ongoing with the vote still favoring Ichika going with Lelouch by 15 to 11.
Yes, that's a poll which is important to the plot. So I'll vote when I'm on a computer...which will be in about 5 or 6 hours 😅.

On the other hand, I will be surprised if Infinite Stratos appears. I thought it had already been removed from the list of worlds to use in the plot 🤔.

Lol. Imagine he meets his alternate reality cousin here or something:D

Hnmnnn that is a maybe for sure.

Yes, that's a poll which is important to the plot. So I'll vote when I'm on a computer...which will be in about 5 or 6 hours 😅.

On the other hand, I will be surprised if Infinite Stratos appears. I thought it had already been removed from the list of worlds to use in the plot 🤔.

Not really, its just I've gotten so much push back on this alone I thought it be easier just to do a poll for it.

It is in there because despite my initial issues we did work out a way for it to work in the story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back