• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Wow... Cornwall Boy has gotten strong enough over a few months to deflect dragon fire that even Paul can't stop. That's quite a bit of power.
On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, Cornwall Boy has an extremely specialized powerset and is absolutely in his element here. It's still impressive as hell, but it doesn't put him anything like on Paul's overall power level.

Back online at last and quickly skimmed the thread to catch back up. I'll get onto proofreading the posts I missed live soonish...

My first mage slayer hit its left hand, causing a slight shift in its flesh before its fiery breath obscures it.
My first mage slayer hits its left hand, causing a slight shift in its flesh before its fiery breath obscures it.

Ah. He hits her right where I imagine her genital slit is, both fists striking the thin scales.
Ooooh, right in the cloaca.

It blocks my counter charge with its shield and shoves me back...
Often hyphenated (counter-charge) but also fine as one word. Up to you, as always

"They're fighting each other."
Dammit, dragon-aura!

"They put their soul into a object. It means their body doesn't interact right-"
"They put their soul into an object. It means their body doesn't interact right-"

My armour is damaged, but not is a disabling way.
My armour is damaged, but not in a disabling way.

"It's about twelve feet by four by four. Pale pink. It's glowing, and Canis-" "-is defending it."
Dammit, Canis!

"He says it's beautiful."
DAMMIT, CANIS!

Well, hopefully she calms down at the threat. More likely she escalates, goes berserk and someone gets hurt hard.
I'm guessing OL couldn't find a way to mention the phylactery before Cornwall did, or did he not remember that detail?

Last edited:
My first mage slayer hits its left hand, causing a slight shift in its flesh before its fiery breath obscures it.
It blocks my counter charge with its shield and shoves me back...
Often hyphenated (counter-charge) but also fine as one word. Up to you, as always
"They put their soul into a object. It means their body doesn't interact right-"
"They put their soul into an object. It means their body doesn't interact right-"
My armour is damaged, but not is a disabling way.
My armour is damaged, but not in a disabling way.
Thank you, corrected.
I'm guessing OL couldn't find a way to mention the phylactery before Cornwall did, or did he not remember that detail?
Completely forgot about it.
Probably not the Starfire fisting scene that some people were hoping for...
I dunno. Around here...

As promised, those corrections (and some commentary) from the days I was offline. Spoilered for the sake of length:
...built of stone long before humans settled those part of the Europe.
...built of stone long before humans settled those parts of Europe.
(Unless she has a strong accent?)

"-used to live in this country? If he'd gotten hold of a gnome, he might have turned them into something like this."
Odd word choice on 'used to' but I'm guessing Natural Speech applies...

"My scan to the one Ms Vadim stabbed suggests...
"My scan of the one Ms Vadim stabbed suggests...

I turn back to my electrocute and put my power armour back on.
A missing word in here, or something like that? Definitely something amiss.
That would make sense: a giant reptile would require large amount of food which wouldn't be...
That would make sense: a giant reptile would require large amounts of food which wouldn't be...
(Or 'a large amount', whichever you prefer.)

No, no, getting too optimistic. This is going to turn into another big pointless fight, isn't it?
Ah, he's finally becoming genre-savvy!

It glowers at us for a moment and the bolts for freedom.
It glowers at us for a moment and then bolts for freedom.

"No matches found. However, records on the residences of minor magic user are extremely limited."
"No matches found. However, records on the residences of minor magic users are extremely limited."
Disguised as a simple ring of mushroom near a menhir...
Disguised as a simple ring of mushrooms near a menhir...
(Credit to Vaermina, he spotted it first. I suspect you didn't notice his post?)

"I need to wheelbarrow someone about that global thaumic mapping idea. How strong is this site?"
First time I've ever heard of the term. Nice.

"I meant, you and me. I've got the time now, I could use more practise flying at high altitude, and I've been studying the spells involved."
"I meant, you and me. I've got the time now, I could use more practice flying at high altitude, and I've been studying the spells involved."
(American english, noun and verb have same spelling, according to Google at least)

"Hopefully the magic deals with that while the dragon is hibernating, otherwise this is going to be the smelliest mission we're ever been on."
Something usually left out of RPG depictions of dragons...

Shit. Well, clearly both plan Directly State That You're Not Interested and plan Ignore It Until It Goes Away have failed me. And as much as I'd like to blame the Star Sapphire… It's not as if she wasn't highly attached to me before she started using it full time. After this missions over I'm going to have to try Honestly Talking About Our Feelings. Maybe ask Diana first? She's got tonnes of experience of getting rid of unwanted suitors.
After this mission's over I'm going to...
Still good to see he wasn't quite 'harem anime protagonist' levels of dense, but still...

Canis's mental stress clearly hasn't help him comprehend...
Canis's mental stress clearly hasn't helped him comprehend...
Zatanna nods. "Their first line of defence is secrecy.
Zatanna nods. "Their first line of defense is secrecy.
(American English again)
"Something's affecting out team mates' minds."
"Something's affecting our team mates' minds."

...impaling the first wave of mutant gnome reinforcement.
...impaling the first wave of mutant gnome reinforcements.
(Usually pluralised, unless you prefer it as is?)

Zatanna blinks, then turns to frown at the star sapphire.
Zatanna blinks, then turns to frown at the Star Sapphire.

Oh no, she's gone full Silver Age. Ring, armour.
Yeah, that's the second-worst kind of 'crazy girlfriend' mode. Yandere being the first.
"Even if the the irritation humans cause you...
Doubled word.

Zatanna points the Staff of Love, and purple crystal builds up around the Lantern Karfang's wings.
Extraneous 'the'.

If I haven't listed a chapter here, I couldn't find any errors others haven't already noted.

Last edited:
Hm... if language has some sort of power/ magic (does it in DC?, it's such a widely used trope), and Cornwall Boy absorbs magic, can he learn Draconic by listening to it/ absorbing it? I mean, probably not, but...
Edit: actually no, that's not what his power is, otherwise he would be able to cast any spell he absorbs back out.

Last edited:
As promised, those corrections (and some commentary) from the days I was offline. Spoilered for the sake of length:
...built of stone long before humans settled those parts of Europe.
(Unless she has a strong accent?)
"My scan to the one Ms Vadim stabbed suggests...
"My scan of the one Ms Vadim stabbed suggests...
I turn back to my electrocute and put my power armour back on.
A missing word in here, or something like that? Definitely something amiss.
That would make sense: a giant reptile would require large amounts of food which wouldn't be...
(Or 'a large amount', whichever you prefer.
It glowers at us for a moment and the bolts for freedom.
It glowers at us for a moment and then bolts for freedom.
"No matches found. However, records on the residences of minor magic user are extremely limited."
"No matches found. However, records on the residences of minor magic users are extremely limited."
Disguised as a simple ring of mushrooms near a menhir...
(Credit to Vaermina, he spotted it first. I suspect you didn't notice his post?
"I meant, you and me. I've got the time now, I could use more practise flying at high altitude, and I've been studying the spells involved."
"I meant, you and me. I've got the time now, I could use more practice flying at high altitude, and I've been studying the spells involved."
(American english, noun and verb have same spelling, according to Google at least)
Shit. Well, clearly both plan Directly State That You're Not Interested and plan Ignore It Until It Goes Away have failed me. And as much as I'd like to blame the Star Sapphire… It's not as if she wasn't highly attached to me before she started using it full time. After this missions over I'm going to have to try Honestly Talking About Our Feelings. Maybe ask Diana first? She's got tonnes of experience of getting rid of unwanted suitors.
After this mission's over I'm going to...
Still good to see he wasn't quite 'harem anime protagonist' levels of dense, but still...
Canis's mental stress clearly hasn't help him comprehend...
Canis's mental stress clearly hasn't helped him comprehend...
Zatanna nods. "Their first line of defense is secrecy.
(American English again)
"Something's affecting our team mates' minds."
...impaling the first wave of mutant gnome reinforcement.
...impaling the first wave of mutant gnome reinforcements.
(Usually pluralised, unless you prefer it as is?)
Zatanna blinks, then turns to frown at the star sapphire.
Zatanna blinks, then turns to frown at the Star Sapphire.
Doubled word.
Zatanna points the Staff of Love, and purple crystal builds up around the Lantern Karfang's wings.
Extraneous 'the'.
If I haven't listed a chapter here, I couldn't find any errors others haven't already noted.
Thank you, corrected.
Hm... if language has some sort of power/ magic (does it in DC?, it's such a widely used trope), and Cornwall Boy absorbs magic, can he learn Draconic by listening to it/ absorbing it? I mean, probably not, but...
Edit: actually no, that's not what his power is, otherwise he would be able to cast any spell he absorbs back out.
This marks the start of Robert getting a feel for fae magic. He will have to do a lot more study before he can use it.

Wow... Cornwall Boy has gotten strong enough over a few months to deflect dragon fire that even Paul can't stop. That's quite a bit of power.

Different ways of doing things may be more effective than others. It's just that Cornwall Boy's way of doing things is better for this particular situation than Paul's.

In DC, at least in Vertigo, according to the Books of Magic, magic is a language- the language of the universe. In short, the operating code. The name is the thing, as per Egyptian myth, change the name, change the thing.

Wildstorm seems to have a similar view of magic, since the same power that made Drummer a technopath made him a magician. "Magic is the cheat codes of the universe" is how Drummer explained magic.

New Earth didn't have a unified explanation for magic as far as I'm aware.

It occurs to me that this has significant implications about the nature of life, souls, and magic in this setting.

In D&D, liches aren't invulerable. They can just create a new body for themselves given some time if their existing body is destroyed. They're harder to destroy in the first place because they don't have the vulnerabilities of living things, but brute force still works (at least temporarily).

But on Earth 16, our only example of a living being without a soul was exceedingly vulnerable to just about everything, and a number of almost-living beings without souls are likewise still just corporeal matter.

I'm reminded of in the very beginning of OL's time with the team, where Kid Flash suggested that OL was the weakest one there. OL countered, with a little Kid Flash fluffing, that he felt he could defeat any of them but Kid Flash.

These days I have very little confidence in OL when fighting breaks out, so it's almost like Kid Flash was right all along. I mean Ring: Make gun, isn't even working anymore.

These days I have very little confidence in OL when fighting breaks out, so it's almost like Kid Flash was right all along. I mean Ring: Make gun, isn't even working anymore.
I counter by pointing out that the fights where this isn't a problem aren't narratively interesting and probably largely happen off-camera, with the words being dedicated to the stuff that's actually worth reading.

When he gets to choose his own missions, I'm sure he also picks the ones that are likely to challenge him. He's not the type to want to cherry-pick the easy ones.

I counter by pointing out that the fights where this isn't a problem aren't narratively interesting and probably largely happen off-camera, with the words being dedicated to the stuff that's actually worth reading.
I counter-counter by pointing out that every time OL runs into anything with a speck of magic, he ranges from mostly ineffectual to completely helpless and getting his ass kicked.

Or it's somehow super tougher then usual, and just walks right through everything he throws at it.

At this point, I'm actually expecting someone like Ambush bug to to show up and explain that every foe in the universe is getting tweaked behind the scenes to be the perfect foil to him, and him alone.

He just had his entire planet locked down, and was murdered as easily as a Marine killing a baby. I'd really expect this "I don't want to break things." attitude to get rethought.

Then again, his death and revival doesn't even seem to matter to him.

I, myself, find the plucky underdog, outmatched, on the backfoot and desperately punching up until the plot gods grace him/her with victory to be the dullest thing in fiction.

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, Cornwall Boy has an extremely specialized powerset and is absolutely in his element here. It's still impressive as hell, but it doesn't put him anything like on Paul's overall power level.
Though it is an example that Paul really needs to develop a method to counter magic that doesn't rely on brute force or magic slayers since those aren't always very effective against all forms of magic.

additionally, Cornwall Boy had just been siphoning off some of the Dragon's magic, weakening it while empowering himself.

Ah, darn it.

Just remembered that I've forgotten Lantern Xor.

You know you've got too many named characters when...

He is wasting his time on trial... Or its that over already? How many months its been? Also one would think he was in the background involved when Heaven attacked earth.

Well, if you remembered Ze, xir, and Zur, you might not have gotten into trouble at SV.
bucket

this is the first time i felt the urge to reach through the screen to shake someones hand, because fuck me that was clever.

Ah, darn it.

Just remembered that I've forgotten Lantern Xor.

You know you've got too many named characters when...

So, are both Match and Xor gonna show up soon? Even just one chapter for each of them, Xor getting off scot free and Match waking up and learning to be a real boy or something.

If the latter does happen, he'll probably be spending more time with Superman, Superboy, and Kara than anyone else, maybe Wonder Woman too.

After 3 months of being able to read a full forum page a day. I just realized how long this must have been updating for now.

I sincerely, appreciate the good story, the only regret I have is not starting sooner because there were some theological points a couple story-lines ago I would have enjoyed debating. (and correcting, because one is a very common misunderstanding among people because of the unusual nature of what happened.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back