• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"Threatening necrophilia"? Saul is threatening to make people get physical with corpses, or is that a typo?
No, just one corpse. He's not greedy. And he made sure that he won't affect its use for organ doning.
For the other two, Baul was pretty obvious. I'm curious as to who is in the Red Lantern Corps, and did Red!Paul have any say in recruits?
I'd probably be scraping every canonical named Red Lantern, and no. While Lord Atrocitus is perfectly prepared to give him respect for what he's done, the recruitment criteria he wants and what the SI wants are very different. And while the SI could challenge him to a duel over the issue, he thinks that would be a bit backstabby.

No, just one corpse. He's not greedy. And he made sure that he won't affect its use for organ doning.

I've never read The Boys so I don't know what that's referencing. Can someone sum up what that's supposed to mean, cause it sounds like some guy who regenerates his organs has his body parts sold to people who need them because he can make more.

Might actually write that second one.

You really should. It seems like there's a lot of interesting story potential. I hope we get more than just one chapter.
I'll be honest. OL, is kinda getting boring for me. And Renegade just pisses me off. All that makes me wonder, what about all those other Pauls? I mean having Paul stuck in The Boys universe seems like something that could sire a pretty good spin off series ( or is it story?), same goes for Red Lantern Paul and Blue Lantern. Or you might go back to the Marvel Universe. Diverge a bit from the main story, and explore other universes a tad more. But, you do you man. Whatever you choose I'll be right behind you!

I've never read The Boys so I don't know what that's referencing.
How to summarise 'The Boys'? Take it away, peanut gallery!
jcw3 said:
A mean-spirited comic written by a man who hates superheroes.

EDIT: The Boys, by Garth Ennis. Please don't read it. Read Blue Beetle if you want a fun comic. Uber if you want a dark, grim war story about how superhumans can cause damage. Please don't read The Boys. You won't enjoy it.
Ganurath said:
It's basically what would happen if PRT Director Emily Piggot wrote a comic book.
Roadie said:
most superhumans in the setting are basically superfluous, because it turns out that being able to breathe fire or run real fast doesn't actually make you much better at handling most problems than normal first responders or the military. Because of that, most superhumans in the setting end up mainly serving as props for patriotic propaganda, marketing, and mass entertainment.

Unlike Cauldron, they don't have any real end goal in mind, other than "we need to stay on top of superhuman research because what if somebody else produces a better Homelander?" and "so what do we do with all these extra rejects?".
Orm Embar said:
Well, that's one wiki-walk I regret.

Essentially, superhumans without the sort of moral integrity or devotion to a cause classical superheroes have turn into moderate to total arseholes when the cameras are off them, and the titicular Boys are a CIA hitsquad designed to keep them in line.

Can someone sum up what that's supposed to mean, cause it sounds like some guy who regenerates his organs has his body parts sold to people who need them because he can make more.
Bereave (part 1)
Bereave (part 7)

No, it means that after he has had sex with the corpse, he will clean it up and hand it over to the organ donor people.

No, it means that after he has had sex with the corpse, he will clean it up and hand it over to the organ donor people.
I still don't get it, and I've actually read The Boys. Does it have anything to do with the Supers there spontaneously coming back to live as vegetables (as in strongly reduced mental capacity, not greens), or is it more about the just god-awful fate of the women who carry Compound V-infused fetuses (making them dead men, or rather women, walking)?

I still don't get it, and I've actually read The Boys. Does it have anything to do with the Supers there spontaneously coming back to live as vegetables (as in strongly reduced mental capacity, not greens), or is it more about the just god-awful fate of the women who carry Compound V-infused fetuses (making them dead men, or rather women, walking)?
No, we're completely at cross purposes. It has nothing to do with any of what you just said.

Donor organs are taken from corpses.

Necrophiliacs like having sex with corpses.

Doctors who harvest organs from corpses probably prefer it if they don't smell of necrophilia.

No, we're completely at cross purposes. It has nothing to do with any of what you just said.

Donor organs are taken from corpses.

Necrophiliacs like having sex with corpses.

Doctors who harvest organs from corpses probably prefer it if they don't smell of necrophilia.
I still understand nothing about this but I'm kind of starting to think that that might be my fault, so let's just move on and I'll mull it over for a while.

And while the SI could challenge him to a duel over the issue, he thinks that would be a bit backstabby.
And as everyone knows, if you're going to get backstabby, you should get more than just a bit backstabby. Because being only a bit backstabby tends to get you a lot frontstabbied.

Saul is gonna use Indigoed up Black Light to animate a corpse and have sex with it.
No. No reanimation.

Also, I've now written it. It'll get posted at the end of the current episode.
And as everyone knows, if you're going to get backstabby, you should get more than just a bit backstabby. Because being only a bit backstabby tends to get you a lot frontstabbied.
No, he actually has a reasonable working relationship with Atrocitus, and doesn't want to do what he would have to in order to remove him.

If you're talking about Zorina, I wouldn't describe their relationship as giving anyone 'lots of happies'.
alas the Paul/Zatana ships really are doomed.

"Where there is pain, I will bring comfort, and I will rejoice at the opportunity."
Ah Chronic Hero syndrome.

Yeah... She knew that already.
Oh you mean rinya, my sister makes some of the funniest rinya faces when someone plays with her Grebnacks.

What's a Grebnack?

"If you have to ask then you're too young to know."

What, Anti-Green doesn't count?
well unless he manages to bypass the whole dead in 24 hours issue I didn't have many expectations of seeing that paul.
and to be fair I kinda forgot.

With John Constantine out there doing whatever he's doing as a Lord of Chaos, besides ol' Ambrose, I wonder when Willoughby Kipling will show up, and if HE has his own sort of issue/rivalry with John, and has purposely avoided the "Constant One" out of said possible issue/rivalry!

What can I say? Besides his appearance in the Doom Patrol comics, Mark Sheppard's portrayal really made an impression!

Wing and Dagger (part 2)
15th January
08:59 GMT -7

Daniel Hall and I watch as his parents and his reincarnated grandfather work on their spaceship in their driveway, neighbours and people driving by doing their best not to look too obvious in their rubbernecking.

"How..? Do you feel about all of this?"

He shrugs. "I dunno. Mom and Dad pretty much gave up being superheroes when I was born, but this stuff was always around the house. Guess I thought it was like their 'hippy phase' or whatever."

A section of the ship's exterior armour comes free, Lyta catching it effortlessly as it falls and setting it on the ground. Interestingly, the powers the Erinyes granted her mother and which she inherited aren't actually dependent on her either pursuing the guilty or being generally vengeful. Ironically, the fact that she can lose control if she does behave like that positively incentivises her not to.

Hector clambers out of the rear hatch, looks briefly at me and then to his wife. He's wearing a slightly updated version of his old plate armour Silver Scarab costume. With his mother restored to life and… A mid-life crisis in full swing, he swapped out the solid plates of the original for smaller plates held in place by a tough silver-coloured fabric. At least he's not wearing the weird insect mask at the moment.

"Lyta, could you pass-?"

She hands him the orichalcum sheet they're using to replace the Nth metal alloy which the ship was originally designed to use. As far as we can tell it won't make much difference, at least not to its regular flight. The faster than light drive was wrecked millennia ago, to the point that we're not sure if it was destroyed on impact or by whatever put the ship onto its collision course with North Africa in the first place. The Nth Metal we're extracting from the removed hull pieces is being used to rebuild the systems Hector scavenged for the Nth metal to build his Silver Scarab armour.

"Thanks. Dad?"

Mr Cantrell brings a thanagarian molecular bonder to bear, a muttered prayer-incantation to Ptah just audible over the hum of the device.

"That's weird, though."

"Meeting your paternal grandparents?"

"Grandma and Grandpa being younger than Mom and Dad. I mean, I get it, they're reincarnated… But it's weird."

"Yeah, it's a funny old world. Not interested in joining in?"

He shrugs. "I don't know anything about Thanagarian engineering. I'm a history major." He pauses. "It's been interesting, talking to Grandpa about Ancient Kahndaq. You don't usually get primary sources for stuff like that."

"And..? Your grandmother?"

"Grandma was an alien. She's fine talking about her other lives, but she still says she didn't get-."

"I was an outsider on Kahndaqi society." Ms Parker walks out of the house, a tray of drinks in her hands. "I can tell you what I saw, but I didn't really understand it like Khufu did." Unlike her previous incarnation's son but like her daughter-in-law, she's dressed in normal clothing. "Are you here to drop off more metal?"

"No. Actually, I was wondering if you were interested in taking a trip to Thanagar."

"Oh." She puts her tray down on the garden table. "Any special reason?"

"Thanagar doesn't know anything about magic. You do, and they're looking for someone with that knowledge whom they can trust. And I need to head over that way anyway, and I thought that you might appreciate a chance to visit… I suppose it's not 'home' anymore, but… The old homeworld."

She frowns. "No one on Thanagar uses magic."

"Except the Seven Devils."

She lets out a sudden exhalation which sounds like the beginning of a dismissive laugh. Then she spots my expression. "You're serious."

"Yes."

"I've talked to Shayera and Katar a few times. We're not sure if I'm from a parallel universe, the future or the past."

I frown. "If it's time travel, shouldn't you be able to tell from historical events? The Equality Plague alone was a big deal."

"What do you know about King Henry the Third?"

"Nothing." I raise my left hand. "I can find out really quick..?"

She shakes her head. "If I come from before the Equality Plague, I wouldn't have heard of it. If I come from after the Plague, I'll only have heard about it if it was still considered important in my era. I could tell you all kinds of things about Henry the Third, but I know next to nothing about the history of South America."

"What about their technology?"

"They haven't been too keen on letting me see that."

"Do you..? Are you up to date on modern Thanagarian politics?"

"I know that the planet is governed by a military council. It wasn't in my day, but I'm afraid that Chay-ara wasn't really interested in political history. I don't know when one form of government became another."

Huh. I had been assuming 'future', but now I'm leaning towards 'past'. "I'm sorry, it's just that the Plague, and the resulting confrontation with Hyathis is such a big part of Thanagarian modern history. I'm struggling to think of how it could have happened without you knowing about it."

"How many Crusades were there?"

I nod. "Fair enough. I suppose it could happen."

"Or maybe not at all. I remember one of the scientists who was on the ship with me saying that the drive might open a portal to a parallel universe. At the time I thought it was one of those 'one in a million, theoretically possible but practically impossible' things." She shrugs. "But that could be what happened."

Which would be pretty interesting for me

"So… Are you interested?"

"Of course I am!" She turns back to the ship. "Simon! Paul wants us to visit Thanagar!"

Mr Cantrell turns off the bonder, and a moment later appears in the cockpit. "The FTL system is still busted, and I doubt the Other Hawks will lend us theirs."

"I can build faster than light drives myself, you know. It probably won't perform quite as well as the original, but it'll function. Particularly since you're stripping most of the Nth metal out of the outer hull."

"And…" Daniel looks at me, then at his grandmother. "You know he's a Lantern, right grandpa? Towing spaceships is something they do."

"Oh." Mr Cantrell looks at Ms Parker. "Khufu did always want to see Chay-ara's homeworld."

"And what do you want?"

"I want what you want. Thanagar was your planet. Even if this isn't the right Thanagar."

She nods. "Can we get the ship ready by next weekend?"

"Ah… If Paul doesn't mind helping out..?"

"Happy to."

Hector drops down from the side of the ship. "We're coming too, right? I've wanted to visit Thanagar since I was a boy."

"Oh no." Lyta holds up her right hand. "I've read about modern Thanagar. I'll be staying here."

"Oh. Okay. Daniel?"

"I don't speak Thanagarian, Dad. And I can't fly."

"Okay then." He looks at Mr Cantrell. "Just me then, I guess."

His reincarnated father looks around the cockpit. "Be a bit of a squeeze, but if we're just using this as a taxi service… Sure."

Last edited:
She hands him the orichalcum sheet they're using to replace the Nth metal alloy which the ship was originally designed to use. As far as we can tell it won't make much difference, at least not to its regular flight. The faster than light drive was wrecked millennia ago, to the point that we're not sure if it was destroyed on impact or by whatever put the ship onto its collision course with North Africa in the first place. The Nth Metal we're extracting from the removed hull pieces is being used to rebuild the systems Hector scavenged for the Nth metal to build his Silver Scarab armour.

It's nice to know that Nth metal has competitors in some areas, at least. The stuff is so crazy sometimes that it's a mystery why no one has launched a campaign to steal the recipe from the Thanagar.

Daniel Hall and I watch as his parents and his reincarnated grandfather work on their spaceship in their driveway, neighbours and people driving by doing their best not to look too obvious in their rubbernecking.
Yeah, alien spaceship parked in a suburban driveway. There's an image for you. :)

Hector clambers out one of the rear hatch...
Extraneous word.

He shrugs. "I don't know anything about Thanagarian engineering. I'm a history major." He pauses. "It's been interesting, talking to Grandpa about Ancient Kahndaq. You don't usually get primary sources for stuff like that."
Yep. Straight from the pharaoh's mouth.

You do, and their looking for someone with that knowledge whom they can trust.
You do, and they're looking for someone with that knowledge whom they can trust.

Heh, family trip, for certain values of family. Now to see what goes wrong...

Last edited:
Man, don't you just hate these weird, completely out there, ludicrously out-of-character April Fools' Day updates?
I was going to say something along the lines of "Maybe it's still March 31 for him and the April Fools day stuff will happen next." but looking it up in British Summer Time it is currently around 6:35 AM. So next update will almost certainly be on April 2nd.

I guess "There's no April Fools Day theme." counts as a prank.

I was going to say something along the lines of "Maybe it's still March 31 for him and the April Fools day stuff will happen next." but looking it up in British Summer Time it is currently around 6:35 AM. So next update will almost certainly be on April 2nd.
The April Fools' updates are on the in-story April 1st. Which may have been part of the joke.

"Oh no." Lyta holds up her right hand. "I've read about modern Thanagar. I'll be staying here."
*raises eyebrow*

Because the world is a military dictatorship, or is it something else?

It's nice to know that Nth metal has competitors in some areas, at least. The stuff is so crazy sometimes that it's a mystery why no one has launched a campaign to steal the recipe from the Thanagar.
Just because someone has tried doesn't mean they succeeded, and even if they did it doesn't sound like it's easy to make. Ophidian!Paul had to conjure up a singularity in order to make Kon's armor.

Just because someone has tried doesn't mean they succeeded, and even if they did it doesn't sound like it's easy to make. Ophidian!Paul had to conjure up a singularity in order to make Kon's armor.
In fairness, they brute forced it from lead, with no prior knowledge or experience. From what was mentioned afterwards, it sounds like Thanagarians use heavier elements, so it was a bit like "Well, damnit, we need to put this support beam in the ground but we don't have anything to dig a hole with. Let's just get a gigantic fucking hammer and smash it in."

It sounds like it was an experimental craft considering the risk of opening holes to parallel universes. From that they probably wouldn't want to keep the specs on it in case someone tried to capture it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back