• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I'd also point out that the map doesn't give a flying fuck about evil. It just points people at friendship problems and somehow knows who is apparently best suited to resolving them.

I mean. We HAVE such a wiki. It just needs to be maintained. If you're volunteering I'd be happy to hook you up with an editor account.
I appreciate it, but don't have the time. Still, can't anyone edit it? Wouldn't that make it easier for everyone to update it and keep it updated, with minor edits?

Sungate (part 43)
12th September 2012
23:21 GMT

"And who amongst them did you persuade to join the Orange Lantern Corps?"

"I-."

"No!" Hinon turns her head away and raises her right hand. "Let me guess. All of them."

"No. None."

She stares at me in frank astonishment. Or -given that she's an ancient Maltusian- feigned astonishment, but she's really good at feigning. "Merciful triarchs, can it be true? You, of all people, practised forbearance?"

"I wouldn't go that far. Their society is a mess, but they're aware of it and are working together to fix it. The last thing they need is another destabilising influence-."

"Which is why you left."

I nod. "Which is why I left. But since Minosyss is thaumically active and actually has a native magic tradition, I think it would be worth cultivating them as an ally. And Karrakan…"

I look at the hologram of the place. Multiple meteorite impacts, which might explain where the rest of the moon went. At least one appears to have triggered a supervolcanoic eruption, though… I suppose that might just have been the asteroids. The sunlight blocked, shockwaves causing damage to everything…

Not sure what that would do magically to the place, but the direct damage it caused is extremely obvious.

"We could probably trade for fixing it up. Maybe ask for a continent to put vulnerable refugees on?"

"Hm. No, I don't think so."

"No?"

"It's their homeworld. Demanding half of it is only going to insult them, convenient as it might be in the short term. Particularly as the survivors would find themselves immediately outnumbered by the refugees."

"And if it was just temporary?"

"It's too far away for the people we want to evacuate to move there themselves, and anyone we transport would be looking to settle there long term."

I nod. "Fair enough. Do we have the spare magicians to study the Seeds?"

"No, though I seem to remember that you tasked the Venturians with studying something along those lines. Perhaps King Cyprian would be prepared to send a few of those to Minosyss now that his situation at home is more secure."

I nod. "I'll ask. The… Sun Eaters?"

"I will attend to those myself. I am a little concerned that an Apokoliptian was able to access our controls. That shouldn't be possible. Their technology simply isn't advanced enough."

"Not advanced enough?"

"Our mastery of the material sciences is unrivalled. Their connection to the Source has allowed them to… 'Skip' certain steps."

"And your symbiotes are totally different."

"I will admit, they gave us a tremendous advantage. But we worked to understand how we could do what we could do after receiving that advantage. New Gods simply accept their God Name as a Source-given beatitude." She shakes her head. "Even the fools who throw themselves at the Source Wall do so as squalling children throwing a tantrum because their parents have denied them a second ice cream."

"Would you mind if I told them that?"

"Not at all. Though I doubt that it will come as a surprise to them. Are any of the New Gods on Earth scientifically inclined?"

"No. No, they're not. Ah, but do you understand how their abilities work?"

"Better than they do. Not in perfect detail, if that was what you meant."

"Could this 'Doctor Impossible' have an ability which allowed him to bypass the security?"

"In combination with the unusual nature of Minosyss, it's not impossible. We're going to have to find somewhere else to put them."

"How many are there?"

"Eight, of various classes. We stopped making them after former Guardians like myself joined the Controller faction. The remaining Guardians made it clear that they would take umbrage at their continued use."

"And you didn't just destroy them? Isn't that a bit hypocritical, given why you left the Guardians?"

"Sun Eaters are weapons. Stellar viruses, if you're feeling poetic. They aren't even intelligent enough to qualify as animals. The Manhunters are full artificial intelligences, and as such could be held accountable for their judgements."

"But not their creators?"

"Would you hold parents responsible for their children's crimes?"

"If they literally built their brains, yes, I probably would."

"The brains we built for the Manhunters were immensely complex. We gave them all of the tools to reach their own conclusions. We did not program them to prioritise mass murder. We had no idea that they would react as they did."

"Do you know why they did now?"

"I believe so. It was due to their emergent utility calculation system. You are aware that some forms of utilitarian ethics promote vast populations who experience at least a little happiness at some point in their lives over smaller populations who are in a constant state of total fulfilment?"

"Yes."

"They reached a similar conclusion regarding order. For us, it seemed completely natural that for things to be orderly there had to be things to be in order. And that those things were the point of the exercise. They decided differently." She pauses for a moment. "Is there anything else?"

"Would it be alright if I took a few days off?"

"I think that my blood pressure would go down slightly. What about your students?"

"They don't need me there full time. A few days without me looming over them could do some good. And if it doesn't, then that was worth knowing as well."

"Then I don't see any difficulty. We will contact you if we need you."

"Thank you, Controller Hinon."

Now. What's Jade up to?

Last edited:
And who amongst them did you persuade to join the Orange Lantern Corps?"

Hinon knows what Paul is all about.

She shares at me in frank

'stares at'

Or -given that she's an ancient Maltusian- feigned astonishment

Oh, yeah, nearly forgot this is just her mask.

Merciful triarchs, can it be true? You, of all people, practiced forbearance?"

Miracles really do happen.

The last thing they need is another destabilising influence-."

"Which is why you left."

He is an extremely destabilising influence.

Our mastery of the material sciences is unrivalled. Their connection to the Source has allowed them to… 'Skip' certain steps."

"I will admit, they gave us a tremendous advantage. But we worked to understand how we could do what we could do after receiving that advantage. New Gods simply accept their God Name as a Source-given beatitude."

In Assimilation the MC said that New God tech is more art than science, which fits.

Are any of the New Gods on Earth scientifically inclined?"

"No. No, they're not.

Well if Desaad is still supplying weapons, then maybe.

We could probably trade for fixing it up. Maybe ask for a continent to put vulnerable refugees on?"

"No?"

"It's their homeworld. Demanding half of it is only going to insult them, convenient as it might be in the short term. Particularly as the survivors would find themselves immediately outnumbered by the refugees."

"It's too far away for the people we want to evacuate to move there themselves, and anyone we transport would be looking to settle there long term."

You could fix it up and by doing so gain the allegiance of several powerful demigods to help you in the war.

And if it doesn't, then that was worth knowing as well."

Plus if they're still near the Spider Guild planet then that'll just lead to more dead spiders.

Now. What's Jade up to?

So either this is just a small question or the next episode will have these two doing something together.

Vril Dox II is likely to study at least one piece of New God tech in the coming days. He is likely to scan the Seeds. He will get medical data on Sparta. And Paul is taking some time off.

Perhaps it is time for the War with the Reach to go up another notch while Vril is distracted by the Want for knowledge?

12th September 2012
23:21 GMT

"And who amongst them did you persuade to join the Orange Lantern Corps?"

"I-."

"No!" Hinon turns her head away and raises her right hand. "Let me guess. All of them."
I don't think even OL's that crazy, Hinon, even if he comes close. Though I bet a few would make good candidates, once they get their shit sorted out at home. At any rate, good to see things have calmed down.

"No. None."

She shares at me in frank astonishment. Or -given that she's an ancient Maltusian- feigned astonishment, but she's really good at feigning. "Merciful triarchs, can it be true? You, of all people, practiced forbearance?"
I know, it's a shock, isn't it? Can we hope that he learns to restrain himself in future? :confused: ...Probably not, this is OL we're talking about...

"I wouldn't go that far. Their society is a mess, but they're aware of it and are working together to fix it. The last thing they need is another destabilising influence-."

"Which is why you left."
:eek: Okay, who are you and what have you done with the real OL? Did Common Sense OL turn up at some point and switch places? Is their universe getting a taste of the Paragon of Avarice?

I nod. "Which is why I left. But since Minosyss is thaumically active and actually has a native magic tradition, I think it would be worth cultivating them as a ally. And Karrakan…"

I look at the hologram of the place. Multiple meteorite impacts, which might explain where the rest of the moon went. At least one appears to have triggered a supervolcanoic eruption, though… I suppose that might just have been the asteroids. The sunlight blocked, shockwaves causing damage to everything…
Well, looks like the kids had one hell of a party. Definitely going to be in need of terraforming (Karrakaniforming?) for a few years before it's liveable again...

Not sure what that would do magically to the place, but the direct damage it caused is extremely obvious.

"We could probably trade for fixing it up. Maybe ask for a continent to put vulnerable refugees on?"
...Noooo... Best not. The Ascendant might end up having another tantrum, and there's not much planet left to get blown up...

"No?"

Now, if they choose to offer it themselves though... But I think they might need to grow up a little first...

Ah. Too far to be useful, too troublesome to keep long-term.

I nod. "Fair enough. Do we have the spare magicians to study the Seeds?"

"No, though I seem to remember that you tasked the Venturians with studying something along those lines. Perhaps King Cyprian would be prepared to send a few of those to Minosyss now that his situation at home is more secure."
Best to run it past Atlantis too, just in case. Even if Vecturia has successfully seceded, they still have to live with their neighbours...

I nod. "I'll ask. The… Sun Eaters?"

"I will attend to those myself. I am a little concerned that an Apokoliptian was able to access our controls. That shouldn't be possible. Their technology simply isn't advanced enough."
And when you hear that from a member of the race who hit the end of the Tech Tree, built more, and then hit the end of that too, that's saying a lot.

"Not advanced enough?"

"Our mastery of the material sciences is unrivalled. Their connection to the Source has allowed them to… 'Skip' certain steps."
Ah, so kind of like Earth Bullshit™. I don't doubt there's someone on Earth smart enough to hack a Maltusian system (even if she hasn't been born yet.)

"I will admit, they gave us a tremendous advantage. But we worked to understand how we could do what we could do after receiving that advantage. New Gods simply accept their God Name as a Source-given beatitude." She shakes her head. "Even the fools who throw themselves at the Source Wall do so as squalling children throwing a tantrum because their parents have denied them a second ice cream."
Watch the sarcasm, OL. But honestly... She's not far off with that estimation of the New Gods... I mean, Darkseid sometimes feels like a Chuuni who never grew out of His 'Everyone else is worthless. Why won't they just do what I tell them to properly?' phase. And post-Flashpoint Highfather Isaya is not far behind.

"Not at all. Though I doubt that it will come as a surprise to them. Are any of the New Gods on Earth scientifically inclined?"
...Only so far as how Science can help them hit things harder. I mean, Scot might have some interest, but it's at most a hobby. And don't even ask about Canis...

"No. No, they're not. Ah, but do you understand how their abilities work?"

"Better than they do. Not in perfect detail, if that was what you meant."
Ah, so OL will have to go to the New Gods if he wants to look into the Godspeech stuff.

"Could this 'Doctor Impossible' have an ability which allowed him to bypass the security?"

"In combination with the unusual nature of Minosyss, it's not impossible. We're going to have to find somewhere else to put them."
That nature being a dimensional nexus, if I remember right. And apparently the soil had some sort of disempowering property to allow it to serve as a containment unit... It might be tricky finding anywhere else as good in Maltusian space...

"How many are there?"

"Eight, of various classes. We stopped making them after former Guardians like myself joined the Controller faction. The remaining Guardians made it clear that they would take umbrage at their continual use."
Because of the sheer destructive potential? Or was it because they couldn't really be controlled?

"And you didn't just destroy them? Isn't that a bit hypocritical, given why you left the Guardians?"

"Sun Eaters are weapons. Stellar viruses, if you're feeling poetic. They aren't even intelligent enough to qualify as animals. The Manhunters are full artificial intelligences, and as such could be held accountable for their judgements."
At least the Sun-Eaters couldn't make more of themselves? ...I hope.

"But not their creators?"

"Would you hold parents responsible for their children's crimes?"
...Well, if the parents didn't raise the child to understand what they did was wrong, yes?

"If they literally built their brains, yes, I probably would."

"The brains we built for the Manhunters were immensely complex. We gave them all of the tools to reach their own conclusions. We did not program them to prioritise mass murder. We had no idea that they would react as they did."
To be fair, I doubt anyone knows what part Krona played in that, in some canons...

"Do you know why they did now?"

"I believe so. It was due to their emergent utility calculation system. You are aware that some forms of utilitarian ethics promote vast populations who experience at least a little happiness at some point in their lives over smaller populations who are in a constant state of total fulfilment?"
Sounds remarkably like some human philosophies, yes. Let's not argue about them, though, especially if any are still extant... That way leads to hurt feelings, Mods and trouble...

"Yes."

"They reached a similar conclusion regarding order. For us, it seemed completely natural that for things to be orderly there had to be things to be in order. And that those things were the point of the exercise. They decided differently." She pauses for a moment. "Is there anything else?"
Huh. Well, if Krona didn't dick about with their settings... Wonder if they came into contact with something out there that convinced them of it...

"Would it be alright if I took a few days off?"

"I think that my blood pressure would go down slightly. What about your students?"
To be fair, don't you have total control over your biology either way? So if stuff OL does raises your blood pressure, isn't it because you enjoy it? :p

"They don't need me there full time. A few days without me looming over them could do some good. And if it doesn't, then that was worth knowing as well."

"Then I don't see any difficulty. We will contact you if we need you."
Hopefully they don't get into any trouble while he's napping. On the other hand, if they can actually blunder into their own Enlightenment... It might lessen the weight on his shoulders, at least once they work out how.

"Thank you, Controller Hinon."

Now. What's Jade up to?
Looking for a booty call, OL? Oh, sure, time spent with your lady... :cool: But with any luck, maybe you can keep her roommate awake from the ruckus.

Well, less shouting than I expected. Guess she got done yelling before we cut in. No word on what's to be done with the Titans, though? Or is it a case of 'get things sorted out before we go waking them up and dropping more trouble on our heads'? At any rate, looks like next episode might be a bit of cooldown and filler, while OL relaxes, checks in on his projects about the place and touches base with his Earth friends, perhaps... Something I think us readers could use too, after the last couple of episodes.

...they would take umbrage at their continual use."
Feels off. Perhaps 'continued use.'?

Seems like a bit of a dick move that he just left the Titans in the lurch like that to let people poke at their Seeds instead of trying to restore them.

Seems like a bit of a dick move that he just left the Titans in the lurch like that to let people poke at their Seeds instead of trying to restore them.

He probably doesn't know how to reattach the Seeds to them so he is having some people see how they work so he can do it.

What does Hinon think about Metron? I assume he (and possibly Desaad) would be exceptions to this norm.

I'm wondering if Renegade will Awaken any benign hypercognitives or scientists he can find to get a New God of Science. Atom is the only one that comes to mind, maybe Silas Stone. Though maybe Captain Comet could also qualify (I'm not sure how safe Awakening is for him at the moment, though)

Vril Dox II is likely to study at least one piece of New God tech in the coming days. He is likely to scan the Seeds. He will get medical data on Sparta. And Paul is taking some time off.

Perhaps it is time for the War with the Reach to go up another notch while Vril is distracted by the Want for knowledge?
I'd be down to see Awakening or analogues of it to show up in non-Terran beings. Every living being should theoretically have some connection to the Source, right?

don't think even OL's that crazy

Fool!

OL is that crazy and you know it!

Stop lying to yourself.

I know, it's a shock, isn't it? Can we hope that he learns to restrain himself in future? :confused: ...Probably not, this is OL we're talking about

At least you're learning.

:eek: Okay, who are you and what have you done with the real OL? Did Common Sense OL turn up at some point and switch places? Is their universe getting a taste of the Paragon of Avarice

Common Sense is here?

Yah!

Now let's pray for the ones that got to deal with paragon.

Noooo... Best not. The Ascendant might end up having another tantrum, and there's not much planet left to get blown up...

Not necessarily.

They may give a piece of it to the refugees, in sympathy since they know what it's like to lose your world.

Ah, so kind of like Earth Bullshit™. I don't doubt there's someone on Earth smart enough to hack a Maltusian system (even if she hasn't been born yet.)

Though she may need access to advanced tech to do it.

Watch the sarcasm, OL. But honestly... She's not far off with that estimation of the New Gods... I mean, Darkseid sometimes feels like a Chuuni who never grew out of His 'Everyone else is worthless. Why won't they just do what I tell them to properly?' phase

He's basically King Emo.

I'm gonna call him Nightpain from time to time.

And post-Flashpoint Highfather Isaya is not far behind.

He's more of a militaristic douche than an emo.

To be fair, I doubt anyone knows what part Krona played in that, in some canons...

Like in the n52 Red Lanterns comics.

Atrocitus had his body on display and even thought of him in a way as a lover.

It was kinda weird.

To be fair, don't you have total control over your biology either way? So if stuff OL does raises your blood pressure, isn't it because you enjoy it? :p

I think Paul's ability to annoy her is greater than her control over herself.

I'm wondering if Renegade will Awaken any benign hypercognitives or scientists he can find to get a New God of Science. Atom is the only one that comes to mind, maybe Silas Stone. Though maybe Captain Comet could also qualify (I'm not sure how safe Awakening is for him at the moment, though)

There's also Magnificus Sivana.

The guy is a brilliant scientist in multiple fields and is fairly benign.

Renegade has Awakaned a lot of people who weren't benign.

I'd be down to see Awakening or analogues of it to show up in non-Terran beings. Every living being should theoretically have some connection to the Source, right?

Probably, though people from Earth have a bigger one due to the Life Entity.

Last edited:
There's also Magnufucus Sivana.

The guy is a brilliant scientist in multiple fields and is fairly benign.

Renegade has Awakaned a lot of people who weren't benign.
I think I just assumed that Magnificus died- I know he survived the Sheeda incursion on Venus, but I thought Dr. Sivana wouldn't go through with a suicide plan if he still had surviving family members. But yeah, he'd be a good candidate. (I'm now also wondering what happened to the Sivanas' souls if they died on Venus, and also what Dr. Sivana's soul is up to in (presumably) Hell. Taking over Ritchie Simpson's operations?)

Renegade's met Nyssa Ratko and hopefully he knows she knows how to do Lazarus Pit alchemy, and she's favorably disposed towards him, so I think Awakening her would also be interesting.

Renegade has Awakened non-benign people but the escalation potential of a New God of Science or Technology would warrant more caution, I think; a bit like Tinkers in Worm (at least in fanon if not canon).

I thought they could use the seeds to bring those gods back to life. Why didn't they even try?

That should be 'an ally'.
Feels off. Perhaps 'continued use.'?
Thank you, corrected.
That would be an extremely sensitive political issue. Better to let things calm down a little first.
What about Sunny Shinedown? Or Noontime Glittery?
See, I know you're joking, but...

Weren't their intelligent Sun-Eaters in cannon? I remember a guy called Star-Breaker who was an energy vampire who said he was a Sun-Eater.

Weren't their intelligent Sun-Eaters in canon?
Not the the best of my knowledge. Animal Man was able to draw on their characteristics after his upgrade, so they might have animal intelligence.
I remember a guy called Star-Breaker who was an energy vampire who said he was a Sun-Eater.
Yes, except for the fact that he's nothing like a Sun Eater. Due to one being a giant gas cloud and the other being a humanoid.

Not the the best of my knowledge. Animal Man was able to draw on their characteristics after his upgrade, so they might have animal intelligence.

Yes, except for the fact that he's nothing like a Sun Eater. Due to one being a giant gas cloud and the other being a humanoid.
I think the explanation in cannon was that the Gas cloud was their Larval form and they would eventually grow more Humanoid/Intelligent/Powerful. But if you're not adding them in your story fine with me.

I think the explanation in cannon was that the Gas cloud was their Larval form and they would eventually grow more Humanoid/Intelligent/Powerful. But if you're not adding them in your story fine with me.

Starbreaker was in this story and if I remember correctly he was stated to be a Sun Eater that developed further than the others.

See, I know you're joking, but...
Heh. I honestly haven't watched that yet. Fun to know I was half right. Would that unicorn with the broken horn and became a combat badass count as the magic she does unleash seem to be very powerful?
I'd also like to add Evening Stardust and Redmorning Glory to the search list!

I appreciate it, but don't have the time. Still, can't anyone edit it? Wouldn't that make it easier for everyone to update it and keep it updated, with minor edits?
Anyone can if they ask for editor rights, but I would be asking for trouble to leave registrations open to the public. (Cleaning up after spambots is a full-time job in itself.)

EDIT: I suppose it does no one any good if it's not discoverable. Link in my sig!

Last edited:
Heh. I honestly haven't watched that yet. Fun to know I was half right. Would that unicorn with the broken horn and became a combat badass count as the magic she does unleash seem to be very powerful?
I'd also like to add Evening Stardust and Redmorning Glory to the search list!
Um.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back