• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Akhlys walks towards me, looking pretty miserable but not as miserable as she used to. Her arms and legs clatter from the bracelets, armlets and other rune-inscribed charms I've had made for her; spells for promoting health and wellbeing and others that are designed to absorb sickness. The result is no better than a draw, but it's where we are now and Sephtian said that making them taught him a lot.
It's been quite some time, but I'm glad to hear that Paul helped.

"Are you familiar with the concept of nemesis?"

"Colloquially, a persons greatest enemy. Traditionally, it was the source of destruction the hero of a story created by their actions. Anger the gods and you make enemies. Eventually, one of them bests you. It exists to remind even the powerful that they can be brought low and that they should remember the virtues even if they can maintain their position without needing to."

"Quite. So-."

"You think I'm Zeus's nemesis? The natural consequence of his bad behaviour?" I shake my head. "I'm not sure that follows, and real life is seldom like the plays."

Zagreus looks at me despondently for a moment, then nods with a sigh.
I kind of appreciate the respect that Zagreus is showing Paul here. It's not often that people can look past how Paul genuinely wants to help people and the goofy things he sometimes does and realize that this is the guy who could probably depopulate a few planets if he really wanted to.

"Akhlys. Any worse?"

"No. Thank you for asking. I am very sorry about Diana."

"She's managing."

"Still. It is disgraceful that Zeus could not simply accept his rejection with good grace."

"I beg your pardon?"
Oh. I hope that when Zeus shows up at the end that Paul is able to call on the Ophidian to give him a serious blow to his ego, and maybe his face too.

Last edited:
Zagreus?" I frown at the hunt-god. "That's a little… Heavily armed for you, isn't it? Are you hunting dragons or something?"

If he's going into Tartarus, then that may be a possibility.

Now I'm reminded of a fic in which Kratos repeatedly kills Zag.

case Diana find anything

'finds'

"Is that likely? I mean, Cronus has been down there for a very long time and hasn't really achieved all that much

True, but he's still managed to make Donna and done who knows what else.

remind him to put condom on while playi

'a condom'

"Zeus's 'wisdom' doesn't even remind him to put condom on while playing away after Hera put him in the last chance saloon

He may not be wise in the sex departmen, but in other areas, like the Titans, he could be.

"Ahhhh…" Zagreus awkwardly looks up towards Erebos's false sky. "Perhaps you could avoid insulting the King of Olympus when in the domains of Greek myth. It's usually not conducive to health and long life

And unlike renegade, Paul lacks divine armor.

Diana is, but I'm sure you can get directions from the Hekatonkheires

Assuming they don't try to crush him again.

"Colloquially, a persons greatest enemy. Traditionally, it was the source of destruction the hero of a story created by their actions. Anger the gods and you make enemies. Eventually, one of them bests you. It exists to remind even the powerful that they can be brought low and that they should remember the virtues even if they can maintain their position without needing to

We all know where this is going.

Quite. So-."

"You think I'm Zeus's nemesis? The natural consequence of his bad behaviour?" I shake my head. "I'm not sure that follows, and real life is seldom like the plays."

Yep.

Zagreus looks at me despondently for a moment

Prepare yourself for looking at him like that, Zag.

Or perhaps the other inmates."

Assuming they don't try anything.

New road going up to the Fields of Punishment. And the people walking it don't exactly look unhappy. Walking in either direction, I should say. I suppose that knowing their punishment has a definite end helps? Or maybe they're masochists who pled guilty or something, I don't know.

Or heck, maybe any afterlife is preferable to them instead of being trapped on a planet.

her senses are acute they're not

'acute, they're'

Paul, do you understand what is meant by religious faith?"

Ah

Surprisingly insightful of the damn psychopath.

It's still insensitive and racist, but you really can't expect much from him.

Lord Zeus is a god. He is aware of the universe in ways that neither of us can comprehend."

"I'm not sure that's true for either of us."

You are both demigods at this point, so your senses would be better.

Though you two would be mire aware if things like thoughts and emotions, while Zeus would be better suited for the natural world.

Plus he's got several millenia on you two, so he would have developed his powers further.

Okay. Okay, fine. Have fun, or religious enlightenment or whatever."

Hey, you don't get to hog enlightenment.

"Lantern?"

Akhlys walks towards me, looking pretty miserable but not as miserable as she used to. Her arms and legs clatter from the bracelets, armlets and other rune-inscribed charms I've had made for her; spells for promoting health and wellbeing and others that are designed to absorb sickness. The result is no better than a draw, but it's where we are now and Sephtian said that making them taught him a lot

Nice to see you actually helped her.

"She's managing."

"Still. It is disgraceful that Zeus could not simply accept his rejection with good grace."

"I beg your pardon

Ahh, of course.

27th October 2012
06:21 GMT +3

"Zagreus?" I frown at the hunt-god. "That's a little… Heavily armed for you, isn't it? Are you hunting dragons or something?"

His normal hunting gear has been replaced by a mixture of orichalcum plate and… Scaly leather? I'm assuming that the donor was some sort of mythological creature, probably the same one that donated his cloak. A bandoleer of knives, two short swords-. Gladiuses, a colt single action army revolver and an AK-47. That's not 'today we're hunting wabbits', that's 'I could totally take Kratos'.
To be fair, Kratos was always popping into the underworld on his latest death, beating something or someone up, then carving a bloody path out the nearest pathway back to the surface. Though the mythological Kratos wasn't much better.

"Just… In case Diana find anything concerning. I've never hunted a titan before, and I wouldn't dare to be less than fully equipped should she call for aid."

I look away for a moment, down towards the queue of souls still awaiting judgement, then over to the new settlement built not too far from the palace. The 'foreign quarter', for souls who have other afterlives they'd rather go to but are staying here until some sort of transfer can be arranged. It's an interesting mix of architectural styles, though they've clearly compromised in some areas due to not having access to some types of more advanced materials.
At least Hades is making provisions for aliens with their own expected destinations. I suppose OL could be prevailed upon to aid them as a courier, perhaps.

"Is that likely? I mean, Cronus has been down there for a very long time and hasn't really achieved all that much."

"True, but Zeus was there when they were bound and has wisdom that we lack."
...No, Metis had wisdom. Zeus just hijacked it. On the upside, it did give him a splitting headache at least once. :p

"Zeus's 'wisdom' doesn't even remind him to put condom on while playing away after Hera put him in the last chance saloon."

"Ahhhh…" Zagreus awkwardly looks up towards Erebos's false sky. "Perhaps you could avoid insulting the King of Olympus when in the domains of Greek myth. It's usually not conducive to health and long life."
I suspect Hades might object to Zeus letting of a Thunderbolt in the halls of Erebus. He might find occasion to go and chastise Zeus, should it be disruptive enough...

"He shot me with lightning, Zagreus. I'm not planning on doing anything about it, but I haven't forgotten it. If he want my respect then he can pull his finger out, do something with his life and stop sending my friends and mentors off on pointless busywork quests."

Zagreus takes a deep breath.
Well, once OL is set on a course of action, Zaggy, there's no dissuading him.

"Colloquially, a persons greatest enemy. Traditionally, it was the source of destruction the hero of a story created by their actions. Anger the gods and you make enemies. Eventually, one of them bests you. It exists to remind even the powerful that they can be brought low and that they should remember the virtues even if they can maintain their position without needing to."
Alas, Zagreus, OL can be pretty oblivious to veiled hints like that. This isn't a hunt you can play stalking horse on. Best to go straight for the throat...

"Quite. So-."

...Except that one time with the Queen of Fables. And that doesn't count!

Zagreus looks at me despondently for a moment, then nods with a sigh.

"You are of course free to travel into Tartarus. I don't know exactly where Diana is, but I'm sure you can get directions from the Hekatonkheires. Or perhaps the other inmates."
They might need a bit of slapping around to be encouraged to be helpful.

"Thank you. All the best to Melinoë."

He nods as I rise into the air, heading 'east north east' towards the gateway into Tartarus. Not sure what the weapons were really in aid of. I've been… Assuming that efforts to fight a titan in purely material space were more or less doomed to failure, but I suppose that he might be able to do a little better with godly magic than I managed against Oceanus.
It's a battle of narrative imperative, really. The Sufficiently-prepared Hunter versus the Aggressive Prey.

Despite the enlarged population, Erebos looks much the same as normal. I wave down at the orchards as I pass over them, though I doubt that anyone at ground level can see me. The rivers, the blasted plain, the… New road going up to the Fields of Punishment. And the people walking it don't exactly look unhappy. Walking in either direction, I should say. I suppose that knowing their punishment has a definite end helps? Or maybe they're masochists who pled guilty or something, I don't know.
Maybe the guests are hoping they can trade 'time served' against their eventual fate in their native afterlife?

No trouble getting the door open, and there's the inky void that I remember from my last visit. However, my increased familiarity with the Ophidian's empathic abilities means that while conventional light is denied to me, I can navigate using the wisps of feeling… Is that Tartarus itself, or left over from the inmates? Diana's trail stands out, and while I can't see where my navigational feeler filaments are I can still feel them. She's not going particularly fast, which makes sense as while her senses are acute they're not supernatural. She's stuck with normal sound and light like the rest of us. Not that I think that, say, a kryptonian's vision would provide much benefit in here.
Ah, the literal black pit of hell.

"Who goes there?"

"Hail, Wonder Woman!"
And now she goes 'Oh, no. What are you doing here?'

A burst of sonic energy gets me a 'look' at her. Looks like she's in her standard Wonder Woman corset, and holding… A dense hand, which is pointing in the direction she was travelling. As she turns towards my voice the hand moves so that the pointing finger remains extended in the same direction.

Useful.
I suppose it makes for some sort of navigation.

"Paul. Why are you here?"

"Thought we could get this done faster if I helped. Can I offer you a lift?"
Knowing Zeus, he'd probably tell her 'go back and do it properly'.

Sonic scans show her bow her head slightly.

"This is not about speed."
Hey, he's only trying to be helpful.

"Right, it's about thoroughness. But you can't see in here. I can-" I fabricate an echo location headset. "-help with that, even if I don't know what this place is supposed to look like."

"Paul, do you-?" I nudge her in the shoulder with the headset and she takes it, feeling around it to work out what it's for before putting it over her head. She takes a moment to look around before focusing on me. "Thank you. Paul, do you understand what is meant by religious faith?"
...Wrong man to ask that. Remember how he referred to Gods when he first got here?

Ah

"Compliance with the will of what the believer believes to be a higher power?"
Not that OL has any truck with that sort of silliness. Just encourages them.

"Lord Zeus has given this task to me. I appreciate that you want to help, but I am the person it was given to."

"But-."
Ah, the old 'But... I want to help you. Why won't you let me?' disappointment.

"Your mercenary approach to religion isn't normal. Do you understand that?"

"Yes, but-! It's Zeus! He's not exactly inscrutable."
Indeed, he's extremely 'scrutable'. Basically two modes: Horny frat boy party king... Or vengeful god-king of 'fuck you!'

"Even if he does not choose to live in accordance with the highest virtues at all times, Lord Zeus is a god. He is aware of the universe in ways that neither of us can comprehend."

"I'm not sure that's true for either of us." I sigh, looking away and shaking my head. "You really think you've got to do this on your own?"
...Just... Let it go, OL. Her mind's made up, and you're not going to be able to change it that easily.

"I do."

"Okay. Okay, fine. Have fun, or religious enlightenment or whatever."
At least he made it easier for her to find her way. Pity Hades would probably not appreciate him stringing worklights or something through the halls.

I shake my head and I back away from her, then turn and fly at speed towards the gates. I mean… It's not impossible that Zeus is… I don't know, doing this to help her train her god-senses or something. I would be surprised, given Diana's lack of enthusiasm for that aspect of her power and him waiting this long do do something he could just have well done seventy years ago, but this sort of situation might do something like that. Not sure why it's suddenly become so urgent…

I pass through the gates and close them behind me. Okay. While I'm here-.
Or he was feeling really petty about something that day. Who knows?

"Lantern?"

Akhlys walks towards me, looking pretty miserable but not as miserable as she used to. Her arms and legs clatter from the bracelets, armlets and other rune-inscribed charms I've had made for her; spells for promoting health and wellbeing and others that are designed to absorb sickness. The result is no better than a draw, but it's where we are now and Sephtian said that making them taught him a lot.
Ah, one of the Keres. Achlys, the sickness. Last seen getting briefly healed by OL, and very surprised that it was possible. Good to see he didn't leave it at that.

"Akhlys. Any worse?"

And for her, 'not worse' is as good as a 'feeling great!' from anyone else.

"She's managing."

<record screech> :eek: Wait, what?

"I beg your pardon?"
Road trip to Olympus, to kick the King of the Gods in the sack repeatedly, until he stops thinking with the Little Thunderbolt!

...Oooh, that's a loud silence. Welp, looks like the hunt for Constantine is on ice until OL can engage in a little behavioural correction with Zeus. I seriously hope it wasn't the kind of proposition I would expect of him, but we all know he can't keep it in his chiton. o_O Unless he tried to ask her to become their 'Goddess of Truth'... No wonder the Themyscirans were concerned for what OL would do when he found out.

Eris "Is there any way that I, the good and obedient child of Zeus could convince you not to obliterate my Dad?"
Paul "Nope."
Eris "Cool, anyway Mom and I were thinking we'd do this old school. There's this excellent arena that was used in the original Olympics which we can restore and reinforce. Now for pay-per-view we were thinking of getting Hephaestus to handle the recording but I think I can convince Ares to provide commentary. As for profit splits..."

"I beg your pardon?"
Gonna be honest...

This feels like Paragon is being played given her clear grudge against Zeus...

Heck, there's better then even odd's this is her working with Darkseid given one of his big moves in the comics is to take out Zeus using his fatherly love for Diana.

"Quite. So-."

Paul, no he doesn't think you're Zesus's nemesis. You are the hero who is angering the gods.

You done fucked up Zeusy.
Still see can't why Diana is going along with this BS.
Maybe this is the point at which Paul becomes the head of his own pantheon?

Diana is going along with this BS because it's Zeus the head of her pantheon.

Like I get it Zeus isn't exactly the most respectable character but he is at the level of power that he can say "What the fuck are you going to do about it!" to just about everyone and Paul doesn't even have the sword of the fallen anymore.

Like in a confrontation the only reason I'd bet on Paul is because he is the main character, but as a base standard, Zeus Xeleestomps a lantern, even an enlightened one.

You done fucked up Zeusy.
Still see can't why Diana is going along with this BS.
Maybe this is the point at which Paul becaomes the head of his own pantheon?

She is going along with it because her personally chosen supreme being appeared to her in person and asked her nicely for a favor that is pretty important seeming and may have hidden depths that benefit her and the world in unforeseen ways.

It is kinda hard to suspect your personally chosen creator diety is making up total nonsense to distract you so he can kidnap (and possibly rape) his exwife.

She is going along with it because her personally chosen supreme being appeared to her in person and asked her nicely for a favor that is pretty important seeming and may have hidden depths that benefit her and the world in unforeseen ways.

It is kinda hard to suspect your personally chosen creator diety is making up total nonsense to distract you so he can kidnap (and possibly rape) his exwife.
That's not how I read it, but I can see how you might have. I read it as Zeus tried to convince Diana to sleep with him, and when she said no he gave her this quest out of spite.

Oh... I thought Zeus was trying to make Diana and Paul hook up to end the beef.
Nope. Zeus is a guy who first and foremost wants to sate his lust. When something denies him his wants, he gets vindictive or devious. He can't fool Diana, so he gave her a difficult quest out of spite. I wonder how the conversation between Paul and Diana about why Zeus is doing this will turn out? Hopefully it doesn't strain their relationship.

I kind of appreciate the respect that Zagreus is showing Paul here. It's not often that people can look past how Paul genuinely wants to help people and the goofy things he sometimes does and realize that this is the guy who could probably depopulate a few planets if he really wanted to.

Oh. I hope that when Zeus shows up at the end that Paul is able to call on the Ophidian to give him a serious blow to his ego, and maybe his face too.
…I can't tell if you are joking or not. Everything you said was true, but that is not what Zagreus is implying. It's the opposite, he doesn't realize OL could probably curb-stomp any of the Olympians 1v1 and is saying Zeus is going to punish him.

They're both gonna learn today.

Ah but here is the question: Can he stomp the Ophidian?
Somehow I have my reservations about it.
That is a closer fight... but if he didn't summon the Ophidian when heaven literally killed him I doubt he would for Zeus (Yes I know that the host blocked off the earth but if the Orange lantern corps manage to break through I'm sure the Ophidian could have managed it by herself aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back