• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Man, the symbolism in this place sure is heavy-handed, but then again I guess that is kinda the point of a realm made up of belief and such.

Given the centuries of enslavement, brutal repression, racism, colonialism, strict classism, and attempts to conquer and dominate their fellow European brothers and sisters and the world, along with everything else, just think about how bad the symbolic Britain/UK would look.

And do to sheer inertia of time alone, let alone when coupled with the nature of pre-modern society, many significantly worse or in larger qualities than anything the US has done

France, Germany, and the fellow European powers of that type too. Their history has allowed each of them to collect quite the history of monstrous and barbaric behavior. And this is with me simply thinking of all the things which don't violate the prohibition against mentioning modern politics.

What would it even be called I wonder? Either way, with those things in mind, I'm sure it would make the American version look like a trip to Candyland lmao.

Last edited:
Yea, I know, Mister Attack Helicopter. How about that weather? ;)
I'd answer, but, well...
Given the centuries of enslavement, brutal repression, racism, colonialism, strict classism, and attempts to conquer and dominate their fellow European brothers and sisters and the world, along with everything else, just think about how bad the symbolic Britain/UK would look.

I don't believe that you're correct. They are it's friends.
Also, missing full stop.
peek
Thank you, corrected.

Question about the setting: are there separate antimatter universes for each parallel?

I do believe that Paragon and Renegade have interacted with the same Antimatter universe.

There's only supposed to be one Antimatter universe. Per multiverse.
I mean...there seems to be different versions of Qward, given that Paul recruited Kalmin, and later returned for his apprentice, while Grayven recruited said apprentice after her version of Kalmin was killed.

Kalmin made Alan's Blue Lantern, while the apprentice...Lyssa? Made the Red Lantern for whatsisface, the leader of post-Satanic UK.

EDIT: If I'm remembering correctly - it's been a while since I've done a re-read, and since I read those bits in the first place.

I mean...there seems to be different versions of Qward, given that Paul recruited Kalmin, and later returned for his apprentice, while Grayven recruited said apprentice after her version of Kalmin was killed.

Kalmin made Alan's Blue Lantern, while the apprentice...Lyssa? Made the Red Lantern for whatsisface, the leader of post-Satanic UK.

EDIT: If I'm remembering correctly - it's been a while since I've done a re-read, and since I read those bits in the first place.

I typed "i do believe" for a reason. My memory might be playing tricks on me. It happens.

Wait, do people seriously not recognize/remember the American song that borrows the tune of God Save The Queen?

A couple different countries used that tune for their anthems, including Imperial Germany, Imperial Russia, and a few others. But the version used in America is My Country, Tis Of Thee.

It was one of the de facto national anthems of America before we officially adopted Star Spangled Banner in 1931.

So, no, it wasn't Kennedy singing another country's song because of spiritual brain damage. It's just a tune that multiple countries decided to change the lyrics to for their own purposes.

Like several other candidates, an excellent song which would make a far better national anthem than the one we actually picked. Though for this one, there was an actual solid reason why not: using the old country's tune is passé. When it was written (1831) that would have been even worse, since the Brits hadn't totally accepted we were really independent and weren't going to "come to our senses" and rejoin any day now, at that point. Two wars weren't quite enough.

Dear John (part 18)
7th November 2012
Roughly 10:43 GMT -5

"So how does this work?"

"Somewhere, there is a place where the hopes of all things that can hope or have ever hoped are inscribed upon the very structure of that place."

"Uh… Huh."

"The Honden of Hope. I use the Honden of Avarice whenever I do my teleportation thing. However, just connecting to it should be far easier."

"Do I have a..? Blue-Ophidian?"

"An Entity, yes. Its name is Adara and it's a… Giant… Bird-like alien. As far as I remember it's a good deal more easygoing than the Ophidian, but we shouldn't need to get its attention anyway."

"Is it dangerous?"

"Anything as powerful as an Entity is dangerous, but it shouldn't be hostile. In the unlikely event that you encounter it, remain calm and offer it birdseed."

"Ph-?"

It takes a second, but then he realises that it was a joke.

"Seriously though, what should I do?"

"I can't say for certain. It will probably just be curious, so show it your hopes and where they come from. If it wants to help, then let it, but I imagine that once it sees that you're genuine it will go back to whatever it was doing before."

Hm.

"Eagle, do you want to help?"

The eagle tears its eyes away from the remains of the fallen president.

"How?"

"Alan's going to be using all of the hopes associated with President Kennedy to try to restore his soul to something approaching what it should be. Honestly… It's more likely that he's going to overshoot and turn him into the best president that America can imagine because who people think about a person -particularly after they're dead- has only the most tenuous connection to what they were actually like."

Alan frowns. "I thought I was just going to be fixing him up?"

"And this is why it's important to ensure that your afterlife arrangements are secure. He can't be 'fixed', any more than I could have scooped the chunks of brain he's dropped and shoved them back into a living person to repair their brain."

His face drops. "Oh. That's…"

"That's better than what everyone in my home parallel gets. So if you ever wonder why I keep going on about it, that's why. From my point of view, everyone here who does is like… Like someone with AIDS who's got an easy-to-use hypodermic with the cure loaded into it right next to them, but is so lazy that they'd rather die horribly than reach over and fix themselves."

Huh. That got 'real' rather quickly.

"But this way we turn him into some sort of perfect dream president and he can… Eagle, would he be Heartlands material if we did that?"

"I think so? I'd have to see him afterwards to know for sure."

"So there you go." I nod at President Kennedy. "That, for eternity."

"I'm a… Doughnut…"

"Or a demigod."

"Okay." Alan nods. "I'm on board."

I incline my head towards him. He frowns, then spots that his environmental shield is barely there.

"Oh. Just a moment." He closes his eyes and his shield burns back into life. "Everyone deserves better than this, and he certainly does."

"Okay, now, keep your eyes closed and focus on the things that inspire hope in you. For me, I feel hope every time I go to see the Beresfords and see that they really don't want to go back to being thugs. Every time people I know make good decisions without me needing to talk them through it, and I see it's not just me pushing the world up a hill in a wheelbarrow."

He nods, eyes still closed. A few moments pass, then his flame grows into a bonfire.

"Good. Now, keep doing that, and imagine… All the things that make you angry or hateful moving away. They're still there, still part of you, but they're not where you are right now."

"Uh-huh."

His aura dips for a moment, then burns back, the flames not any larger butSteadier.

"Next, your selfish desires. Everyone has things that they want for themselves, but all of yours are somewhere else. They haven't stopped existing and they'll be there when you need them, but your hopes are all that surround you."

He nods slowly.

"Next, your fears. A normal animal reaction to danger, but yours have no place here."

Hm. Skip will, since it should synergise with any mental effort. Hope is what we're using, and… Compassion and love.

"It is a noble thing to help others without the desire for reward, but that is not where you are. This is a place for inspiring others, not aiding them directly. Your compassion is elsewhere, waiting for you when you leave."

The flaming effect is basically gone, though the size of his aura has continued to grow. I wonder if that's what I look like when I meditate?

"Love is our particular attachment to those closest to us. But you are somewhere universal, and the particular only serves to distract you. All around you are your hopes made manifest."

His mouth moves, opening and closing a little like he's feeling around for the words.

"I see it."

"Good. Now, your hopes are the walls and the ceiling and the floor, but on the other side of one is the chamber for someone who shares that hope with you. Can you picture that?"

"It's like I'm… There."

And now he's gone slightly translucent. Um. Okay, just carry on.

"We're looking for images of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Every person he inspired is there with you, and we need their hopes. Can you see them?"

"I can. It's… All so beautiful…"

"Now you've seen how he exists in that place, in their minds, draw the blue light to you and make it true. Make Kennedy the Kennedy they believe in."

Alan opens his eyes, and they're pools of blue light as he reaches for Kennedy's broken head.

Last edited:
"That's better than what everyone in my home parallel gets. So if you ever wonder why I keep going on about it, that's why. From my point of view, everyone here who does is like… Like someone with AIDS who's got an easy-to-use hypodermic with the cure loaded into it right next to them, but is so lazy that they'd rather die horribly than reach over and fix themselves."

Huh. That got 'real' rather quickly

Yeah.

Oh. Just a moment." He closes his eyes and his shield burns back into life. "Everyone deserves better than this, and he certainly does.

Add a " at the end.

Man, Alan picked this up fast.

I guess it helps Paul is helping walk him through it based on his own experience, but he is also just such a fount of Hope already and near an elemental in nature so he is likely connecting to it easier.

No doubt that doing this will turn what remains of Kennedy's soul into the very ideal of what all American people view as an amazing president, a kinda American demigod of leadership or something.

It's an interesting assumption to make, all things considered. To assume that your parallel is the special one that doesn't have any kind of afterlife when you've been thrown into a multiverse where other things you thought were fictional turned out to be real. Even had that crossover event with other versions of yourself that ended up in non-DC universes.

If anything I'd wonder how it is that our reality has the same religions. Like, the Earth he's on now can say their pantheons are actually there. But our Earth, where he's assuming they never existed, just happens to come up with all the same shit?

Of course I'm not talking about real life belief, or lack thereof. Just that the SI doesn't really seem to question it.

Beyond that, I guess I'm kind of curious how this ULTIMATE PRESIDENT will turn out. I'm sure various people have their fair share of ideas of what would make someone the best possible President.

"We're looking for images of John Franklin Kennedy. Every person he inspired is there with you, and we need their hopes. Can you see them?"
I thought they'd be looking for John Fitzgerald Kennedy? Did he have a different middle name on Earth-16, or is this just Paul's memory being flawed (after all, Paul is from the UK, and also fairly young compared to JFK's generation) and Alan not correcting him?

It's an interesting assumption to make, all things considered. To assume that your parallel is the special one that doesn't have any kind of afterlife when you've been thrown into a multiverse where other things you thought were fictional turned out to be real. Even had that crossover event with other versions of yourself that ended up in non-DC universes.

If anything I'd wonder how it is that our reality has the same religions. Like, the Earth he's on now can say their pantheons are actually there. But our Earth, where he's assuming they never existed, just happens to come up with all the same shit?

Of course I'm not talking about real life belief, or lack thereof. Just that the SI doesn't really seem to question it.

Beyond that, I guess I'm kind of curious how this ULTIMATE PRESIDENT will turn out. I'm sure various people have their fair share of ideas of what would make someone the best possible President.
Yeah but when paul came to this world he didn't have a soul that why he is basing his belief that his home parallel doesn't have an afterlife.

Yeah but when paul came to this world he didn't have a soul that why he is basing his belief that his home parallel doesn't have an afterlife.
Yup. Could make the argument that the isekai process stripped him of his soul or that what the DC locals recognize as soul is different from souls in Paul's reality, but those arguments would be convoluted and have no evidence to back them.

Two things to understand about LePaul?

He's super full of himself and loves to make things up when there's nobody around who can correct his claims.

7th November 2012
Roughly 10:43 GMT -5

"So how does this work?"

"Somewhere, there is a place where the hopes of all things that can hope or have ever hoped are inscribed upon the very structure of that place."
I rather expect it's like a pleasant country church, rather than a grand temple or some palace of marble and gold. The 'cool' end of the Spectrum always seems more gentle and restrained that way.

"Uh… Huh."

"The Honden of Hope. I use the Honden of Avarice whenever I do my teleportation thing. However, just connecting to it should be far easier."
Heh. Especially if it's being done for a good cause, like this.

"Do I have a..? Blue-Ophidian?"

"An Entity, yes. It's name is Adara and it's a… Giant… Bird-like alien. As far as I remember it's a good deal more easygoing that the Ophidian, but we shouldn't need to get its attention anyway."
Heck, if it shows up, that might be helpful, or Alan might go full host and declare he's not leaving 'till this place is fixed up properly.' That would probably be bad. :V

"Is it dangerous?"

"Anything as powerful as an Entity is dangerous, but it shouldn't be hostile. In the unlikely event that you encounter it, remain calm and offer it birdseed."
Ah, a devotional offering of food. I'm sure the embodiment of Faith would appreciate that.

"Ph-?"

It takes a second, but then he realises that it was a joke.
Well, given how dark the mood is in this place, I'm sure it was needed.

"Seriously though, what should I do?"

"I can't say for certain. It will probably just be curious, so show it your hopes and where they come from. If it wants to help, then let it, but I imagine that once it sees that you're genuine it will go back to whatever it was doing before."
I mean, The Ophidian stuck around after OL contacted it. Though I suspect it'd be easier to convince Adara to let go

Hm.

"Eagle, do you want to help?"
Yeah, Roger could probably be useful, as a focus of American belief.

The eagle tears its eyes away from the remains of the fallen president.

"How?"
...And anything that gets his mind off how awful this place is would be a good thing.

"Alan's going to be using all of the hopes associated with President Kennedy to try to restore his soul to something approaching what it should be. Honestly… It's more likely that he's going to overshoot and turn him into the best president that America can imagine because who people think about a person -particularly after their dead- has only the most tenuous connection to what they were actually like."

Alan frowns. "I thought I was just going to be fixing him up?"
Once things get rolling, I don't think there'll be any stopping until it's done right.

"And this is why it's important to ensure that your afterlife arrangements are secure. He can't be 'fixed', any more than I could have scooped the chunks of brain he's dropped and shoved them back into a living person to repair their brain."

His face drops. "Oh. That's…"
...OL, you may have been just a bit too frank there. o_O Also, ewwww...

Huh. That got 'real' rather quickly.
Yes, just a big old bucket of sunshine today, OL.

"But this way we turn him into some sort of perfect dream president and he can… Eagle, would he be Heartlands material if we did that?"

"I think so? I'd have to see him afterwards to know for sure."
Well, with all the Hope they're going to be throwing at this... I rather imagine this place would find the result abhorrent. Like pouring water on an oil fire...

"So there you go." I nod at President Kennedy. " That, for eternity."

"I'm a… Doughnut…"
:confused: ...Good grief. To be fair, anything other than this would be an improvement, certainly.

"Or a demigod."

"Okay." Alan nods. "I'm on board."
Good man! Hope and Determination, let's go!

I incline my head towards him. He frowns, then spots that his environmental shield is barely there.

"Oh. Just a moment." He closes his eyes and his shield burns back into life. "Everyone deserves better than this, and he certainly does."
...Well, just a little bit of Will. Because Blind Hope without the strength of character to act on it is near-useless, after all.

"Okay, now, keep your eyes closed and focus on the things that inspire hope in you. For me, I feel hope every time I go to see the Beresfords and see that they really don't want to go back to being thugs. Every time people I know make good decisions without me needing to talk them through it, and I see it's not just me pushing the world up a hill in a wheelbarrow."

He nods, eyes still closed. A few moments pass, then his flame grows into a bonfire.
Seriously, if that doesn't make Adara perk its' head up, wherever it is... I don't know what would. Also, I love that seeing other people actually fixing the world is one of OL's greatest hopes and joys. :D

"Good. Now, keep doing that, and imagine… All the things that make you angry or hateful moving away. They're still there, still part of you, but they're not where you are right now."

"Uh-huh."
And I'm sure he's had plenty, over the years... His wife's suffering, the death of the first Ragdoll, what he saw during the War...

His aura dips for a moment, then burns back, the flames not any larger butSteadier.

"Next, your selfish desires. Everyone has things that they want for themselves, but all of yours are somewhere else. They haven't stopped existing and they'll be there when you need them, but your hopes are all that surround you."
I hope he's paying attention to what effect this is having on Alan. While doing an exercise like this for an Orange Lantern might get dangerous...

He nods slowly.

"Next, your fears. A normal animal reaction to danger, but yours have no place here."
...Focusing this hard on one emotion probably isn't natural for Humans, bathed in the White Light as they are.

Hm. Skip will, since it should synergise with any mental effort. Hope is what we're using, and… Compassion and love.

"It is a noble thing to help others without the desire for reward, but that is not where you are. This is a place for inspiring others, not aiding them directly. Your compassion is elsewhere, waiting for you when you leave."
And in a dark place like this, Hope will have to shine all the brighter to do its work.

The flaming effect is basically gone, though the size of his aura has continued to grow. I wonder if that's what I look like when I meditate?

"Love is our particular attachment to those closest to us. But you are somewhere universal, and the particular only serves to distract you. All around you are your hopes made manifest."
And right now, he's probably visible from space.

His mouth moves, opening and closing a little like he's feeling around for the words.

"I see it."
Oh, my. Total and utter immersion in one colour. I wonder, what lingering effects will he experience after...

"Good. Now, your hopes are the walls and the ceiling and the floor, but on the other side of one is the chamber for someone who shares that hope with you. Can you picture that?"

"It's like I'm… There."
Let's hope he's still listening. I'm not sure he's entirely hearing OL right now, with the sound of all the universe's hope thrumming through his head.

And now he's gone slightly translucent. Um. Okay, just carry on.

"We're looking for images of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Every person he inspired is there with you, and we need their hopes. Can you see them?"
Perhaps he'll find himself able to teleport via the halls of Hope. Though that might need Adara's approval, methinks.

"I can. It's… All so beautiful…"

"Now you've seen how he exists in that place, in their minds, draw the blue light to you and make it true. Make Kennedy the Kennedy they believe in."

Alan opens his eyes, and they're pools of blue light as he reaches for Kennedy's broken head.
And somewhere, the Smiling Bastard is feeling something like ice water running down his spine.

Amazing stuff. I have the feeling Alan's going to be changed by this act, whatever happens. While I doubt Alan's going to come out of this Enlightened, he may well be real damn close to making the breakthrough on his own. And having this much Hope flying around the Bad Place is going to have its own effect, methinks. Like a flood reshaping a town.

" That, for eternity."
Stray space after the Quotation mark.

Mr. Kennedy, you will believe in the we that believes in you.

"I can. I see a clear road, free of pot holes. The sun is out, but the weather is comfortably cool. And there's a gas station. The parking lot is empty and free of trash. It has biofuel and a recharging station. To the side- row after row of clean, spacious bathrooms. The toilets have heated seats, they have bidets. The entrance is stocked with free toiletries, non-scented ones. They even have changing stations."
"It's… All so beautiful…"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back