• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Lantern Conspiracies (part 13)
5th November 1999
11:12 MDT

Clink.

I sit back down as Rinaker mulls over what I just told him. Trueblood looks about ready to tear the table in half. Sh'lainn's keeping a careful watch on him, while Fitz and Perrera are waiting patiently.

Clink.

One last key flip, and Rinaker presses a button on his keyboard. The monitor shows a.. dark corridor. It's Agent Yarrow's-. Late Agent Yarrow's camera. He's moving fast, checking corners and ceilings in a well trained sweep-and-clear. One other agent with him, but they stopped near the entrance to cover his rear. He comes out on a room, then runs through into the next room and points his gun at two aliens in there, a goblin and a faun. The faun is in a wheelchair and the goblin doesn't look armed. Yarrow appears to notice that too, the camera jerking as he checks the corners of the door and the doors leading away.

Nothing.

He then moves towards the goblin, gun levelled at its face.

"Where are the vampires?!" The goblin just cowers away. "Where are the vampires?!"

There's a momentary pause, then the camera jerks back the way he came as the Green Knight runs in, sword in hand. The camera sort of twitches, then the sword comes forward-.

I wince as the camera twitches again, then falls back to stare at the ceiling.

I've been involved in things like that before. I actually haven't killed anyone, but a few of my old bounty hunting targets remember me when the seasons change. You've got a fraction of a second to make a life or death decision with your own life on the line. It's actually impressive that Yarrow had the discipline not to fire the moment he saw an alien, but from that range a shot would have been fatal even if it was set to 'stun'.

The Green Knight saw someone about to kill his ally. Would he have attacked if he'd gone down in the bunker and seen a police officer or someone from a S.W.A.T. team? Would he have hesitated like Yarrow did, demand that he lower his gun and step away? Or would he have attacked anyway because he couldn't see a reason to point a gun at someone who clearly wasn't armed, even if they were a criminal?

I don't know.

"Agent Yarrow's actions in threatening an alien involved in a criminal arms smuggling network were entirely legitimate." Rinaker presses another button to turn off the monitor. "The fact the alien in question was working as a physician does not grant them immunity from human law. Since I'm certain that Agent Logan is planning on asking, the Alliance has full clearance from the British government to operate in British territory. The fact that lower levels of the British military, police and political establishment are unaware of that merely proves that we are doing our job."

In most states in America, police are indemnified against legal action if they acted in accordance with the law and local police policy. Police can legally shoot someone dead if they don't respond to their orders fast enough, and even when they weren't armed. I've heard about some… Dubious decisions, and I've also seen police get shot for not shooting fast enough. If someone was pointing a gun at an Alliance agent, I'd have attacked them. Ideally, with a baton or my fists, but if I had a gun in my hands instead…

And even if the Alliance is legally able to operate in Britain, if people haven't ever heard of us, it's hardly unreasonable for them to assume that we aren't.

"General, when are we going after the Green Knight?"

Clink.

"We're not."

"General?"

"Your report makes it clear that the 'Green Knight' took multiple hits from Alliance plasma cannons without any apparent harm. Using strategic weapons is out of the question for the same reason that we don't just bomb the Intracom headquarters, and unlike a large building the Green Knight is highly mobile. Given his resilience, he most likely could have killed most -if not all- of the agents you brought with you, yourself included."

Trueblood's clearly not happy about that, but he nods.

"The fact that he did not do so indicates that he will most likely only intervene if we threaten members of this 'Conduit' organisation. His conversation with Agent Logan might even indicate that he isn't aware of what the Alliance is, and assumed that we were some sort of unregulated paramilitary. Alliance policy with regard to the Green Knight will be to gather information while limiting our exposure. Only once we have identified an exploitable weakness will we attempt to eliminate him."

"Do y' no' think we should try and tell him what we were doing? I doubt he'll pull his punches if he's thinking that we're just a bunch of t'ugs."

"If you have a way to relay a message, Agent Blaze, then by all means. It may help to avoid him murdering any further Alliance agents."

Sh'lainn's obviously not happy. We've never really talked about banshee law enforcement. When Mab thought Sh'lainn had betrayed the banshee to the Alliance, her response was to send a pair of minotaurs to kill her. But I don't know if that's normal policy or just something she did because she was worried about what Sh'lainn would tell us.

"Agent Fitz. Your… Plan, for evacuating our imprisoned agents was highly effective. All agents are back in our headquarters being debriefed, there were no further casualties and the value of destroyed property was kept to a minimum. Your actions minimised the risk of a data breach, despite the Green Knight's actions."

Fitz looks smug, but considering the circumstances he's got enough sense not to boast about a positive assessment.

"You and Agent Perrera will need to follow up in providing the police investigation with a satisfactory conclusion. Unfortunately, too many people are now in the know for a top-down information suppression effort to be effective."

Fitz grins. "Can do, General!"

"Agent Logan and Blaze. The last major confrontation between the vampires and banshee was well before the Alliance began operations. As such, we don't have a great deal of knowledge about what occurred. With the reappearance of both the Green Knight and the minotauri, it seems that we may need to correct that sooner rather than later."

Sh'lainn shrugs. "I was never the best history student, General."

"Trusting a single person's recall would be unwise in any case." He presses a button, calling up a map of Europe with several locations marked. "The Alliance has been aware for some time of a number of former banshee outposts. They've long been abandoned as far as we can tell, but forcing access risks destroying whatever may be inside. But now we have another option."

Sh'lainn looks awkward.

"I understand that this puts you in an awkward position, but we need any historical data contained there. You are free to arrange for any personal effects or original texts to be returned to Queen Mab. Since her people are for the most part content to remain in Ireland and keep themselves to themselves, I see no reason for us to initiate hostilities."

That seems to make her feel a little better. "Better than jumping out of a plane."

"I do have one question about current banshee operations, however."

"I don't think we really have current operations. Not like the Alliance does. If we did, I doubt I'd be here."

"That's not the question. My question is this: do the banshee on Earth have regular contact with the banshee homeworld?"

"No, we don't. I haven't ever lived on a planet that wasn't Earth."

Huh. I hadn't really thought about it, but we know that the vampires have spaceships. Vampires have been on Earth for a long time. Hundreds of years at least. It wouldn't take a lot of spaceships to hold the Earth to ransom. Or at least give them an unbeatable firing position. So why aren't there more? Is there something stopping them calling home?

"Hm. I see." Rinaker nods. "Thank you, Agent Blaze. Everyone, dismissed."

Last edited:
5th November 1999
11:12 MDT

Clink.

I sit back down as Rinaker mulls over what I just told him. Trueblood looks about ready to tear the table in half. Sh'lainn's keeping a careful watch on him, while Fitz and Perrera are waiting patiently.
Ah, a joint debriefing on the Alliance's little English field trip? I see Nick's gone over his part in matters, then. Though it looks like not everyone's happy with how things were settled.

Clink.

One last key flip, and Rinaker presses a button on his keyboard. The monitor shows a.. dark corridor. It's Agent Yarrow's-. Late Agent Yarrow's camera. He's moving fast, checking corners and ceilings in a well trained sweep-and-clear. One other agent with him, but they stopped near the entrance to cover his rear. He comes out on a room, then runs through into the next room and points his gun at two aliens in there, a goblin and a faun. The faun is in a wheelchair and the goblin doesn't look armed. Yarrow appears to notice that too, the camera jerking as he checks the corners of the door and the doors leading away.
Ah, good, they do have body cams. Or helmet-cameras. Some manner of visual recording, anyway.

Nothing.

The then moves towards the goblin, gun levelled at its face.
Not going to look good for Yarow here, though, threatening a pair of unarmed combatants with his weapon...

"Where are the vampires?!" The goblin just cowers away. "Where are the vampires?!"

There's a momentary pause, then the camera jerks back the way he came as the Green Knight runs in, sword in hand. The camera sort of twitches, then the sword comes forward-.
Ah, the typically military approach to interrogation, eh? Point guns and yell questions. :p

I wince as the camera twitches again, then falls back to stare at the ceiling.

I've been involved in things like that before. I actually haven't killed anyone, but a few of my old bounty hunting targets remember me when the seasons change. You've got a fraction of a second to make a life or death decision with your own life on the line. It's actually impressive that Yarrow had the discipline not to fire the moment he saw an alien, but from that range a shot would have been fatal even if it was set to 'stun'.
By that, Nick means he had to break a few knees, I'll bet.

The Green Knight saw someone about to kill his ally. Would he have attacked if he'd gone down in the bunker and seen a police officer or someone from a S.W.A.T. team? Would he have hesitated like Yarrow did, demand that he lower his gun and step away? Or would he have attacked anyway because he couldn't see a reason to point a gun at someone who clearly wasn't armed, even if they were a criminal?

I don't know.
You never know what can happen in the heat of combat, certainly. Adrenaline's a hell of a drug.

"Agent Yarrow's actions in threatening an alien involved in a criminal arms smuggling network were entirely legitimate." Rinaker presses another button to turn off the monitor. "The fact the alien in question was working as a physician does not grant them immunity from human law. Since I'm certain that Agent Logan is planning on asking, the Alliance has full clearance from the British government to operate in British territory. The fact that lower levels of the British military, police and political establishment are unaware of that merely proves that we are doing our job."
Oh, he's smooth. You'd think they'd have clearer rules of engagement in these sorts of encounters, though. Especially when obvious non-combatants are present.

In most states in America, police are indemnified against legal action if they acted in accordance with the law and local police policy. Police can legally shoot someone dead if they don't respond to their orders fast enough, and even when they weren't armed. I've heard about some… Dubious decisions, and I've also seen police get shot for not shooting fast enough. If someone was pointing a gun at an Alliance agent, I'd have attacked them. Ideally, with a baton or my fists, but if I had a gun in my hands instead…
And any discussion of those police actions probably come close to Rule 8 territory. :oops: Careful.

And even if the Alliance is legally able to operate in Britain, if people haven't ever heard of us, it's hardly unreasonable for them to assume that we aren't.

"General, when are we going after the Green Knight."
True. Though I suspect most cops would pause a moment when they see someone running around dressed vaguely like a Stormtrooper.

Wise choice. He's a complete unknown, in terms of motivation and capabilities. Fellow like Rinaker, I expect he won't take action without much more detailed intelligence on the threat. (And possibly instructions from his masters.)

"General?"

"Your report makes it clear that the 'Green Knight' took multiple hits from Alliance plasma cannons without any apparent harm. Using strategic weapons is out of the question for the same reason that we don't just bomb the Intracom headquarters, and unlike a large building the Green Knight is highly mobile. Given his resilience, he could have most likely have killed you and most -if not all- of the agents you brought with you, yourself included."
Given what he did to their exo-armour, I'm surprised the troops didn't already recognise that. Though Trueblood's probably thinking through a haze of anger and painkillers right now anyway.

Trueblood's clearly not happy about that, but he nods.

"The fact that he did not do so indicates that he will most likely only intervene if we threaten members of this 'Conduit' organisation. His conversation with Agent Logan might even indicate that he isn't aware of what the Alliance is, and assumed that we were some sort of unregulated paramilitary. Alliance policy with regard to the Green Knight will be to gather information while limiting our exposure. Only once we have identified an exploitable weakness will we attempt to eliminate him."
Good luck with that, thin man.

"Do y' no' think we should try and tell him what we were doing? I doubt he'll pull his punches if he's thinking that we're just a bunch of t'ugs."

"If you have a way to relay a message, Agent Blaze, then by all means. It may help to avoid him murdering any further Alliance agents."
Ooh, good point. From both of them. Wonder if Sh'Lainn will ever learn the Emerald Knight visited Mab recently after his encounter with the Alliance.

Sh'lainn's obviously not happy. We've never really talked about banshee law enforcement. When Mab thought Sh'lainn had betrayed the banshee to the Alliance, her response was to send a pair of minotaurs to kill her. But I don't know if that's normal policy or just something she did because she was worried about what Sh'lainn would tell us.

"Agent Fitz. Your… Plan, for evacuating our imprisoned agents was highly effective. All agents are back in our headquarters being debriefed, there were no further casualties and the value of destroyed property was kept to a minimum. Your actions minimised the risk of a data breach, despite the Green Knight's actions."
Though given that said plan involved crashing a plane into the place their evidence was being kept, I suspect Rinaker would prefer it not happen again.

Fitz looks smug, but considering the circumstances he's got enough sense not to boast about a positive assessment.

"You and Agent Perrera will need to follow up in providing the police investigation with a satisfactory conclusion. Unfortunately, too many people are now in the know for a top-down information suppression effort to be effective."
Heh. Too big a paper trail to cover up now, boyo? Tough luck.

Fitz grins. "Can do, General!"

"Agent Logan and Blaze. The last major confrontation between the vampires and banshee was well before the Alliance began operations. As such, we don't have a great deal of knowledge about what occurred. With the reappearance of both the Green Knight and the minotauri, it seems that we may need to correct that sooner rather than later."
Let me guess. He wants her to call home, have a polite chat with her people.

Sh'lainn shrugs. "I was never the best history student, General."

"Trusting a single person's recall would be unwise in any case." He presses a button, calling up a map of Europe with several locations marked. "The Alliance has been aware for some time of a number of former banshee outposts. They've long been abandoned as far as we can tell, but forcing access risks destroying whatever may be inside. But now we have another option."
Ah. A bit of Tomb Raiding? For a given value of 'Tomb'.

Sh'lainn looks awkward.

"I understand that this puts you in an awkward position, but we need any historical data contained there. You are free to arrange for any personal affects or original texts to be returned to Queen Mab. Since her people are for the most part content to remain in Ireland and keep themselves to themselves, I see no reason for us to initiate hostilities."
Now, whether Mab will see it that way, well... We'll see.

That seems to make her feel a little better. "Better than jumping out of a plane."

"I do have one question about current banshee operations, however."
Oh? Do tell us, what would you like to know from the outcast?

"I don't think we really have current operations. Not like the Alliance does. If we did, I doubt I'd be here."

"That's not the question. My question is this: do the banshee on Earth have regular contact with the banshee homeworld?"
Ah. A very good question, though I suspect there's multiple layers of reasoning for it...

"No, we don't. I haven't ever lived on a planet that wasn't Earth."

Huh. I hadn't really thought about it, but we know that the vampires have spaceships. Vampires have been on Earth for a long time. Hundreds of years at least. It wouldn't take a lot of spaceships to hold the Earth to ransom. Or at least give them an unbeatable firing position. So why aren't there more? Is there something stopping them calling home?

"Hm. I see." Rinaker nods. "Thank you, Agent Blaze. Everyone, dismissed."
Or, for that matter, why didn't they just conquer the medieval Earth they arrived on? Too divided? Too limited by their numbers and vulnerability to sunlight?

So, then. The Alliance taking a very cautious approach to the Emerald Knight, I see. Logical enough, given his demonstrated capabilities. After all, when you can ignore their best weapons, it's only natural for them to be wary of you. But when Roswaul starts targetting Vampire operations, I suspect Rinaker will be feeling a little pressure to deal with him...

The then moves towards the goblin, gun levelled at its face.
He then moves towards the goblin, gun levelled at its face.

People who run off to primitive backwaters don't often have better options.

But when you run off to a primitive backwater with advanced technology up to and including spaceships, your options include 'dropping things on anybody who objects to your taking things over'.

Heck, Harry Maybourne set himself up as a king without even a ship, for crying out loud.

So these are very excellent questions indeed...

(One might suspect the answers include 'a Maltusian who would really prefer his quiet retirement planet remain (a) quiet and (b) there'.)

Rinaker may want to get rid of Paul but he is smart enough to know he needs to bide his time. He'd probably go ballistic if he finds out that Paul is trying to get the Banshee to form an agreement with humanity as a whole. Something is going to give sooner or later and I can't wait to see it.
If Percival was as efficient as Paul is while using the ring, then this will be the second time I will have heard of Leprechauns being incredible fighters. The first time being the LEP Recon.

An alternate reading is that Rinaker already suspects the Green Knight is a Lantern. Obviously we don't know exactly how much he would know about current events in the galaxy, or how active the GL Corps is in other sectors. But if he suspects, and has an idea of what a Lantern is capable of, a strict noninterference policy would be a solid way to avoid attracting attention that could expose the Shadoen operations. That changes Blaze's mission from just historical info on the Green Knight to finding out if the Banshee have a Lantern on call, and are thus a danger to the Shadoen fleet.

An alternate reading is that Rinaker already suspects the Green Knight is a Lantern. Obviously we don't know exactly how much he would know about current events in the galaxy, or how active the GL Corps is in other sectors. But if he suspects, and has an idea of what a Lantern is capable of, a strict noninterference policy would be a solid way to avoid attracting attention that could expose the Shadoen operations. That changes Blaze's mission from just historical info on the Green Knight to finding out if the Banshee have a Lantern on call, and are thus a danger to the Shadoen fleet.
I can't remember if it was stated earlier in this story, but I believe in this continuity there isn't a Green Lantern Corps.

Even if there isn't a Corps it may be possible that the Maltusians are a known group and others know about their rings.

The fact the alien in question was working as a physician does not grant them immunity from human law.
Snort. I think you mean Alliance Law. If it's human law u wanna enforce I suggest you conform Alliance regs to human law. When's the trial and release date of say any alien in ur custody again?

I could be wrong though, just the feeling I got.
Well that would make it significantly less likely that Rinaker and the Shadoen were aware of Lanterns. Oh well.
It was hinted at that the Lanterns had never become a thing in this timeline. But not confirmed. As Percival was out of touch from his cousins and rarely worked with the Glow himself. No Lanterns on Earth at least.
Even if there isn't a Corps it may be possible that the Maltusians are a known group and others know about their rings.
Their rings at this point the Rings are basically baby pacifiers, and I doubt they are the only species with rings. So I doubt many would see the difference between Rings and rings. Assuming the Lantern Corps was never begun.

Mr Zoat
Does this Paul display the Green Lantern symbol on his armor and such like his standard? Or is his armor unadorned?

I could be wrong though, just the feeling I got.
Okay, I went back and looked. Percival left while rings were still something for Maltusian children, before anyone was giving them to aliens. Wanting to maintain his peace and quiet, he has intentionally been out of contact since. He didn't know what the Green Lantern Corps was, because it would have been founded after he left. That doesn't mean the GL Corps doesn't exist.

So, it's still plausible that Reniker recognizes emotional spectrum manipulation and the threat it would represent to the Shadoen fleet.

Compass (part 1)
Compass

13th February 2013
14:57 GMT -5

"So how is he-"

"RAAAAAAAGH!"

I smile politely as the L.E.G.I.O.N. officer's eyes momentarily flick away from me in the direction of Orion's bellow.

"-getting along?"

A blinding flash over our heads as the nebula discharges its accumulated charge somewhere in the distance. We both cringe a little, even though it wouldn't do a thing.

Taking this world from the Reach is being a slog.

"He's an effective killer, sir. Normal protocol for Orange Lanterns is… Er…"

He trails off, remembering exactly what my job is.

"Carry on."

"Right, well, we rotate them off the front lines after a while. The sane ones, because there's only so long a rational person can keep up that level of desire, and the ones who are losing it because we don't really want them to lose it completely. Orion told us… Ah… He didn't want to stop."

"DIE, WORTHLESS PLAGUE CREATURES!"

"He's been like this for four days. I don't think he's slept or eaten."

Hm.

"As I understand it, he doesn't actually need to do those things."

"And he's alright staying that angry? Because…"

"I don't know. I don't think anyone does. Part of why he's here is so that we can find out. But he should be able to regenerate any damage it does to him using his innate abilities."

"Constantly or eventually?"

"Um. Don't know that either."

Another colossal lightning bolt passes over our heads, and we cringe a little less.

"How's the fight going generally?"

"It's a heavily fortified position and we have to use specialised ships to even get here. The whole place is riddled with tunnels and bunkers. Sir, is there something here?"

"We don't know."

The nebula contains planets. Unlike most nebulas, it isn't an area of infinitesimally increased particle density, but an actual electrified space fog. There's no actual sun, just a load of lumps of rock just big enough to have a liveable gravity field illuminated by the constant electrical discharges.

So why are we spending time and blood to actually clear it rather than just mining the region and going right past it?

Because they spent time and resources to fortify it rather than just mining the region and going right past it.

And it's good field experience, because…

I'm getting a slanted view of the war. I usually take part in major fights that have a squad of Orange Lanterns with them. Heck, we kicked this war off with the entire Corps in one place. So that's what the war looks like to me. But the fact is that the Orange Lantern Corps is less than a thousandth of a percent of the size of L.E.G.I.O.N.. Not all L.E.G.I.O.N. fleets have even one Lantern with them, let alone a team of three who could reliably deal with a Scarab Warrior without risking their lives.

So most ground attacks are carried out by L.E.G.I.O.N. marines. Who are drawn from hundreds of different worlds that have no prior history of working together.

"Must be something here."

"If there isn't, we're no stupider than they are. Is there anything you need me to do while I'm here?"

"Need?" He shakes his helmet. "No sir, I don't think so. Not unless the Reach just sent a fleet our way."

"Rightoh. Keep up the good work, and keep up the record of Orion."

"Will do, sir."

I

step out, and

reappear at the minimum permitted distance from New Genesis.

"This is the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps calling Supertown control. Mind if I come down?"

The space in front of me shimmers… That's… Vikyn, isn't it?

"You are authorised to approach. Highfather wishes to speak with you concerning Orion."

I wince slightly. "Yes, I… Thought he might. Be right down."

New Genesis really is a beautiful planet. I can't quite… Credit that this is the New God's original homeworld. The signs of industrialisation just aren't there. Though I remember reading something about how it would only take a few centuries for most of those signs to vanish from Earth, so maybe it was just that long ago?

"Did you break him already?"

I glance right.

"Hello, Lightray. Basically, yes. Sorry."

"Would you care to expand on that?"

"He got a red power ring, because a crazy maltusian was so desperate to feel anything that he made sure that he went as red as possible as quickly as possible."

"That sounds bad."

"It was bad."

"For the maltusian?"

"For the maltusian. And possibly Orion. I mean, he seems to be coping and I don't have good data on what a stable Red Lantern looks like, but he's been killing Reach soldiers continuously for four days without rest."

"I've known him do that with parademons."

"Right, but parademons work for Darkseid. He has good reason for hating Darkseid. I hate the Reach, but as far as I know he'd had nothing to do with them. Because there's a difference between hating people who deserve it and hating people for being there."

He stops in the air, his right hand on my shoulder to stop me.

"You do have a plan to turn him back when this is done, I hope?"

"Yes. But if you'd like to help…"

I take a hologram projector out of subspace and generate an Indigo Lantern Corps sigil.

"Do you know this symbol?"

Last edited:

I really hope his plan isn't to have Alan try blasting him with Blue Light.

Because while that might work with a normal Red Lantern, I can't see that working with a New God that's internalized Rage to the degree Orion has.

Compass

13th February 2013
14:57 GMT -5

"So how is he-"

"RAAAAAAAGH!"
...Ah. I see Orion's dealing with the Red Light. Whether it's the good kind or the bad kind, we'll have to see, I suppose. In the meantime, at least he's making himself useful to his new allies.

I smile politely as the L.E.G.I.O.N. officer's eyes momentarily flick away from me in the direction of Orion's bellow.

"-getting along?"
I see the 'normal' folks are justly concerned, though. I take it Orion is still in full 'Butcher host'-mode...

A blinding flash over our heads as the nebula discharges its accumulated charge somewhere in the distance. We both cringe a little, even though it wouldn't do a thing.

Taking this world from the Reach is being a slog
Ironic. In most campaigns, it's clearing urban areas that's difficult, except for a Lantern. Here, it's more the vast, nominally-empty spaces that are challenging.

"He's an effective killer, sir. Normal protocol for Orange Lanterns is… Er…"

He trails off, remembering exactly what my job is.
Yes, rather rude to be telling OL his job. :p

"Carry on."

"Right, well, we rotate them off the front lines after a while. The sane ones, because there's only so long a rational person can keep up that level of desire, and the ones who are losing it because we don't really want them to lose it completely. Orion told us… Ah… He didn't want to stop."
Logical enough... For Orange Lanterns, anyway. The Red Light, though...

"DIE, WORTHLESS PLAGUE CREATURES!"

...It tends to override simple concerns like that.

Hm.

"As I understand it, he doesn't actually need to do those things."
But going without probably does have some psychological effect on New Gods.

"And he's alright staying that angry? Because…"

"I don't know. I don't think anyone does. Part of why he's here is so that we can find out. But he should be able to regenerate any damage it does to him using his innate abilities."
...You hope. See, this cautious approach is why the Renegade beat you to the achievement. Though it's honestly in character for a Paragon. No shortcuts, no compromises. It gets done right or it doesn't get done at all.

"Constantly or eventually?"

"Um. Don't know that either."
...That's rather why you're letting him run off the leash, so to speak.

Another colossal lightning bolt passes over our heads, and we cringe a little less.

"How's the fight going generally?"
In other words, where Orion isn't face-rolling his way through the Reach?

"It's a heavily fortified position and we have to use specialised ships to even get here. The whole place is riddled with tunnels and bunkers. Sir, is there something here?"

"We don't know."
Sounds like a right pain. An entire system that's pretty much a rabbit warren.

The nebula contains planets. Unlike most nebulas, it isn't an area of infinitesimally increased particle density, but an actual electrified space fog. There's no actual sun, just a load of lumps of rock just big enough to have a liveable gravity field illuminated by the constant electrical discharges.

So why are we spending time and blood to actually clear it rather than just mining the region and going right past it?
...Or perhaps an ant-hill.

Because they spend time and resources to fortify it rather than just mining the region and going right past it.

And it's good field experience, because…
Never leave an intact enemy stronghold behind your lines.

I'm getting a slanted view of the war. I usually take part in major fights that have a squad of Orange Lanterns with them. Heck, we kicked this war off with the entire Corps in one place. So that's what the war looks like to me. But the fact is that the Orange Lantern Corps is less than a thousandth of a percent of the size of L.E.G.I.O.N.. Not all L.E.G.I.O.N. fleets have even one Lantern with them, let alone a team of three who could reliably deal with a Scarab Warrior without risking their lives.
And your own time is limited, so you can't go haring off to their rescue... More reason to build up an honour guard capable of Greediporting.

So most ground attacks are carried out by L.E.G.I.O.N. marines. Who are drawn from hundreds of different worlds that have no prior history of working together.

"Must be something here."
Ooof. I can only imagine the level of communication SNAFUs possible. Never mind things like logistics challenges or cultural clashes.

"If there isn't, we're no stupider than they are. Is there anything you need me to do while I'm here?"

"Need?" He shakes his helmet. "No sir, I don't think so. Not unless the Reach just sent a fleet our way."
At least that's something OL can deal with without having to think too hard.

"Rightoh. Keep up the good work, and keep up the record of Orion."

"Will do, sir."
I detect an air of 'long suffering resignation' about that poor marine...

I

step out, and

reappear at the minimum permitted distance from New Genesis.
Ah, yes. Might want to check in with the old man, see what He thinks of what's happening with Orion.

"This is the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps calling Supertown control. Mind if I come down?"

One of the Forever People, eh? I see some of them have recovered...

"You are authorised to approach. Highfather wishes to speak with you concerning Orion."

I wince slightly. "Yes, I… Thought he might. Be right down."
Ah, that British understatement. YEs, I rather suspect he will have words for you. Possibly loud ones. Almost certainly accompanied by an atmosphere of fatherly disappointment.

New Genesis really is a beautiful planet. I can't quite… Credit that this is the New God's original homeworld. The signs of industrialisation just aren't there. Though I remember reading something about it would only take a few centuries for most of those signs to vanish from Earth, so maybe it was just that long ago?

"Did you break him already?"
Nature is damned impressive, just in its level of 'not giving a fuck about humanity's works'...

I glance right.

"Hello, Lightray. Basically, yes. Sorry."
Though he's at least broken in a useful way?

"Would you care to expand on that?"

"He got a red power ring, because a crazy maltusian was so desperate to feel anything that he made sure that he went as red as possible as quickly as possible."
And then the maltusian got to turn everything else red. Albeit in the form of chunky red paint, more than anything. :p

"That sounds bad."

"It was bad."
It could have been worse. At least the giant planet-killing war machine he was in control of stayed asleep.

"For the maltusian?"

"For the maltusian. And possibly Orion. I mean, he seems to be coping and I don't have good data on what a stable Red Lantern looks like, but he's been killing Reach soldiers continuously for four days without rest."
So he's enthusiastic about his new job, if nothing else.

"I've known him do that with parademons."

"Right, but parademons work for Darkseid. He has good reason for hating Darkseid. I hate the Reach, but as far as I know he'd had nothing to do with them. Because there's a difference between hating people who deserve it and hating people for being there."
Though, to be fair, the Reach have done a good job of making themselves hatable.

He stops in the air, his right hand on my shoulder to stop me.

One or two, perhaps. Depending on how bathing him in the cooler emotional lights goes...

I take a hologram projector out of subspace and generate an Indigo Lantern Corps sigil.

"Do you know this symbol?"
<sigh> Still coming at it entirely the wrong way, OL... :rolleyes:

So, a new episode begins, and it looks like OL is finally starting to hunt down the Indigo Tribe. Especially if the subtle pun in the episode title is anything to go by. ...You know: Compassion. Or possibly 'Moral compass'. :p Certainly, OL might well be in need of both at this point. Some of the things he's needed to do to get this crazy plan underway... Makes me wonder what the Team would think.

Absent Full Stop.

Add a . at the end.

Hm.

"As I understand it, he doesn't actually need to do those things

Though he may need it for his mental health.

"You are authorised too approach. Highfather wishes to speak with you concerning Orion

Hope he's doing okay.

know he'd had nothing to do

"he's had"

That should say 'to'.
'spent'?
'about how'
Zoat, the spoiler box with the links for this episode is lacking the episode number.
Thank you, corrected.
No, that's correct. He's definitely had something to do with them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back