• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

17th February 2013
19:36 GMT

"…weird robots and a woman called Penny Dolmann who was controlling them." Match's eyes flicker as he sends a heat beam into the sword of a sheeda warrior taking a swing at Richard. "I dunno what else used to be there, but that's all that's there right now."

I nod as I patch up the unconscious sheeda who was volunteered for ritual sacrifice duty. "Where did you put her?"

'Volunteered', eh? Probably not entirely willing, but given their current state of 'fuck humanity sideways', he may well have been happy to die for their cause. Couldn't be entirely sure without closer examination, anyway, and that's rather unpleasant.

"Their dungeon. I figure, Doctor Mist could take a look at the castle, and maybe find a way to fix her. If they can't do that for a couple of days, she could probably wake up and get one of the robots to let her out."

"Reasonable."

"You don't..? Think we should have killed her, do you?"
Oh, boy. It figures Match would be one of the first of the Team to consider that, given his morality was more than likely implanted rather than learned. And Luthor probably wanted his programming quite a bit more utilitarian than is ideal.

With the fight mostly over I turn my attention away from my environment and towards him. "While there is an obvious advantage in killing enemy assets and a disadvantage to taking prisoners, I'm… I don't think she's critical to Mannheim's work so just.. leaving her isn't a big problem. And if this works like I think it will then she'll be back to normal in a few days. Other than… Maybe.. fabricate a time-delayed lock for the dungeon I'd have done the same thing."
And hopefully she doesn't end up remembering the sort of things she did under control. That would not be fun.

He nods, smiling with relief.

"The fact that I'm okay with killing people doesn't mean that I enjoy it or that I think it's the only solution."
Especially these days. Trying to be the kind of person Superman would like, after all. :p

"Oh, I-." He looks a little guilty. "I didn't.. mean…"

"I'm not unaware that I'm unusual in that regard."
Far too many capes seem to think it's more like a big game of cops and robbers with a little spice of danger.

"No, I-." He exhales. "I don't wanna kill anyone either. But I don't want anyone to die because I didn't kill… Someone I should have killed. Y'know?"

"I feel the same way. But there's no way to know for certain either way, and you… Sometimes you just have to best-guess it. I think you guessed right."
The Joker Paradox. Are the deaths of his victims on the heroes, because they let the law handle him instead of enacting their own justice? But would you want them acting as judge, jury and executioner against less kill-happy foes?

"What about the sheeda?"

Mmn.
Well, general opinion in-universe seems to be 'fuck the Sheeda.'

I brought the sheeda from the last site with us, bound arm and leg with chains that they won't be able to break. None of them are Highborn, so their potential for trickiness is limited to what devices they've brought with them, regular sheeda being only mildly superhuman. Which means that a normal prison can probably hold them, if it's staffed. But prisons not being taken over by the Justice League aren't… Working, at the moment. Some are staffed, some aren't, some have had break-outs and some have had everyone in them kill themselves. Aside from Belle Reve and Blackgate Mannheim hasn't really targetted prisons, and with Blackgate he was just going there for Karon. So we could drop them off in a prison for a couple of days under the same terms as Ms. Dolmann, it would just be a matter of finding one. But they're a threat to the inmates and staff if the conditions deteriorate.
Unfortunately, it still leaves them able to take hostile action against humanity. Because they aren't going to stop hating people just because you ask nicely.... Unless more drastic measures are taken.

Best… Alternative, is for me to give their brains an orange light prod. Make them want to be a bit more pro-social. A couple of different versions of me mentioned doing something like that in… Less sophisticated civilisations, and they got a version that… Wasn't completely monstrous. I've got better control than them, so I could probably do one that would decay naturally over a few weeks…

"I'll deal with them" I turn away slightly. "Robin, are you done?!"
Ah, Warhammer Paol was part of the big event, huh? Though he's probably not the only one in a fantasy setting with evil elves.

Richard is using his arm computer to take images of the sacrificial altar that the sheeda had set up, which goes a little way towards explaining why that sheeda nearly cut the other's throat at the last gate: trying to rush a sacrifice when they realised that they wouldn't be able to do a full ritual.

"Yeah. Mister Atom says 'thanks for the warning, but everybody's busy'."
...Yeah, I guess that's about the best you could hope for.

I nod. "Understandable, without a smoking gun. Cornwall?"

"Yeah, sheeda blood could jam it open. And I don't know exactly what bit he was planning to cut, but this whole thing looks a bit Aztec-y to me."
In other words, a wide-open gate letting Anti-Life energies pour into another plane. Just the kind of 'fuck you' I could imagine them setting up.

"Do your-" The bioship descends from the night sky, slowing as it reaches the ground. M'gann flies up to its canopy and gives it a hug. "-best."
Heh. A girl and her flying living car. x3 Adorable.

I hold up my hands, orange strands attaching them to the heads of every sheeda in our vicinity. And add an… Aura, which feeds into their existing desire systems. They want their own civilisation back? Okay, redirect those desires from the historical reality of that civilisation and onto… Ah, resource efficiency? Advanced biotechnology? Useful things that their civilisation had and that we have to a lesser extent. Make them want to add the better parts of themselves to us.
But leaving it up to them who they try to help make said advances? Not the smartest option, but it's not permanent anyway.

It doesn't take, exactly, but it's stuck on the outer parts of their mind. Okay, now turn up the power a little so I'll take precedence…

Not perfect, but if we haven't gotten rid of the Anti-Life by the time it wears off then we're probably not going to.
And then it won't matter what they do.

I float up into the air. "Robin, you're in charge."

"Good luck with Batman."

"Thank you."
Oh, he is going to need it.

I look up into the sky and set course for my new ship before accelerating. That little chat with Mitchell is… Making me reconsider. It's not like Batman will have just forgotten how he used to think, right? It hasn't been that long. Or-.

Power ring. Harolds owes me and has experience using the yellow light. With Alexander Luthor here
Ah, finally he considers the possibility. Not optimal, but...

Ring, contact Alexander Luthor.

Compliance.

"Orange Lantern. What can I do for you?"
Now, let's see if Alexander will agree.

"I need to contact Power Ring Joseph Harrolds. Can you set that up?"

"Absolutely not. I can't risk the Anti-Life spreading to my Earth. The conversion would be almost immediate and there's almost nothing to stop it spreading."
Not surprising, given the quality of life the average person likely suffers through.

"What if there was a way to remove the Anti-Life permanently?"

"If, Orange Lantern. I'm happy that you have a technique in mind and wish you all fortune, but unless it's certain then I'm not going to risk another world, another universe. Is it?"
Ah. Well, his caution is understandable, I suppose.

"It-. No. But honestly, the people who have already gone through are a bigger risk factor."

"I cannot undo what has already happened, but I can prevent it from getting worse. To be clear, I have already created and activated devices to prevent further travel from my Earth to this one, and they work in both directions."
Wow, you just anticipated OL's next thought, didn't you? I mean, it prevents the transfer of more people anyway.

Before I could even think it…

"Mister Luthor? For future reference? It's fine to say things like that to me, because I might well have done it, but with just about everyone else we're working with, they wouldn't, and they'd probably be annoyed about the implication.""Me, Mister Atom and Batman."
Because Atom understands the algorithmic logic of necessity, while Batman... Is Batman. He understands the necessity, even if he hates it personally.

"Thank you for your honestly. End-."

And he's gone.
Well, he was probably busy. You're lucky he picked up at all.

"Orange Lantern to Batman."

I look down as the planet spreads out beneath me, troubles…
It would be beautiful, if not for the current situation. Those capable of making orbit probably do this often, I would hope, just to remind themselves of what they fight for.

No. Still troubled. I can see patches where there should be lights but aren't, places where the noise of civilisation is hushed in a decidedly… Wrong way. And there's the constant pall of black over every emotion.

I… Really want to stop this.
Hold on to that focus, OL. This will end soon, one way or another, hopefully.

"Batman. Go ahead."

"I need a word in person, preferably off Earth. Where's a good place for you?"
...And here we go. Bullet bitten...

So, the time comes. Will Brucey-boy be willing to dip back into his own darkness in order to save the world, or will he baulk at the idea of using something he doesn't fully comprehend. Because that's often his objection to things like super-serums and advanced technology like Power Rings. At least in the comics where the writers tend to play him as a control freak... :oops:

So, the time comes. Will Brucey-boy be willing to dip back into his own darkness in order to save the world, or will he baulk at the idea of using something he doesn't fully comprehend. Because that's often his objection to things like super-serums and advanced technology like Power Rings. At least in the comics where the writers tend to play him as a control freak... :oops:
is this the point where Batman and Paul split

Zoat did say that they will eventually not get along, are we finally at that point

It doesn't take, exactly, but it's stuck on the outer parts of their mind. Okay, now turn up the power a little so I'll take precedence…
'so it'll'?
To be clear, I have already created and activated devices to prevent further travel from my Earth to this one, and they work in both directions."
What's stopping him from flying out to another solar system, going antimatter, flying to -Earth, flying back out then coming back to this universe?
Of course there's no guarantee that Power Ring will actually want to take the risk of helping.

Oh, boy. It figures Match would be one of the first of the Team to consider that, given his morality was more than likely implanted rather than learned. And Luthor probably wanted his programming quite a bit more utilitarian than is ideal

That's not necessarily any programming from Luthor.

Any of that could have been destroyed from his deteriorating mental state, or at least from Jor El fixing him.

But when he was healed Paul noticed that his emotions were somewhat weak and his mindset was kinda sociopathic.

He's getting better, but he may have a long way to go.

is this the point where Batman and Paul split

Zoat did say that they will eventually not get along, are we finally at that point

It may not be BatMAN that is needed for a fear based ring right now..., this is still a version of the religion of crime story after all, and that points to someone else in cape and cowl. And what happens in the aftermath might explain such a rift.

Do Or Die Time (part 6)
17th February 2013
19:46 GMT

I watch as Mr. Atom coordinates the efforts of the Justice League worldwide. He's not plugged into the Watchtower's computer because he's specifically designed not to be able to perform direct interfaces, so he copes by using his highly precise sonic emitters to communicate with the computer with sound of a complexity the human ear can't distinguish and at pitches we can't hear. If the shield around his work area was to drop it would just sound like loud white noise to me, though Superman said that he rather likes it.

"Batman's arrival estimated thirty seconds plus minus ten seconds. You have three percent of my attention. This is still vastly more of my attention than you require so do not slow down. In fact, speed up to fifteen percent faster than you usually speak for peak efficiency."

I speed up my thought processes by sixteen percent.

"That might make it more difficult for Batman."

"I have learned that efficiency is not the only rational value metric. However, it is a highly important one and Batman could become a more effective individual by replacing no more than five percent of his brain with an augmentative computer."

"I didn't think that you designed those."

"You uploaded the design for Talon's augmentative onto the Justice League's database. I improved upon-"

"Recognised, Batman, zero two."

"-it."

Batman… Batman is wearing a blue cowl and cape. It's a dark blue, but…

"Orange Lantern. What do you wish to discuss?"

"Have you read Robin's report yet? Or mine?"

"Yes, and Doctor Mist is making it a priority to find out what he's doing. But Mister Atom was correct, there are simply too many elven portals listed for us to spare the resources to cover all of them."

I nod. "I agree. That's why I want to go ahead with my Anti-Life removal plan immediately."

"Explain."

"Combining the seven colours of the emotional spectrum can produce pure life force. The same thing that granted Doctor Mist immortality. My plan is to generate it and feed it into the Anti-Life broadcast network."

"Do you have all seven colours?"

"Sort of. Orion of New Genesis has a red ring and the hate and anger required to use it. There's me, and I've got the best control of the orange light of any Orange Lantern. Lord Malvolio has volunteered to act as our green, and to my knowledge he's the most powerful green ring user ever. Alan's got blue, Dame Carol has violet and I… I think that the Medusa Mask can sub in for indigo."

He nods. "Now I understand how you reacted to my change of approach."

"Yes." I take the yellow ring and lantern out of subspace. "I considered… I don't know, trying to make you angry so you'd… Try cowing me into obedience. Or…" I sigh. "You were my first choice. Alexander Luthor refuses to let me ask Joseph Harrolds, who would probably have been able to do it better. I… Don't have anyone else. No one I would trust with it, with the knowledge of what power rings can do."

"You don't think that I can do what you need me to do."

"It's not just about whether you can do it or not. If the rest of us cover you, I'm sure you could probably get a weak yellow glimmer and fire it, but that's not enough. The rest of us are people who really grok our colours."

"My whole approach was based around using fear as a tool to fight crime, manipulating the people I fought and intimidating the criminal underworld into hiding themselves. Is that what I need to be a Yellow Lantern?"

"It's a viable approach. There's a big game hunter who lives for the fear he feels when he hunts prey that could kill him easily. There's a man whose species I killed who turned the fear he feels for the future into a weapon. There are serial killers who live for the fear their victims feel in their last moment. Yellow isn't a colour that lends itself to nobility."

"Which species did you kill?"

"Citadelians." I shrug. "I sent in the report a while ago. I'm sure you read it. In theory, there's nothing stopping him cloning himself to recreate them; that's how they started in the first place. I don't know if he will or not. People ruled by their fears aren't likely to be rational."

"I see. May I?"

He raises his right hand slightly in the direction of the ring.

"I hope you will. That's the whole point."

"I believe you have a tradition of asking Lanterns to call their ring to themselves."

"Ye-ah."

"I find your lack of faith…" He points his index finger at the ring. "Disturbing."

The ring wobbles a little bit.

"That reference was disturbing. Sir, I'm afraid that the only way I can see this working is if you… Temporarily regain your former mindset."

His eyes narrow behind his cowl. "I.. thought I did."

"You wouldn't have made a film reference if that was true. Sir, have you ever used a power ring before?"

"I briefly used a green ring." He closes his eyes and bows his head. "I need to feel fear?"

"You need to command fear. And be able to feel fear; Jordan literally can't use it."

"Have you used it?"

I nod. "Not very well, but yes. Strategic fear is only something I use incidentally; I don't have a good feel for it."

He moves his hand slightly.

"It's harder than I thought it would be to get back into that headspace."

"Sir, we need someone who can use that ring. Do you have any ideas-" He steps closer to the ring and picks it up between his right forefinger and thumb, examining it. "-who else might be able to get something out of it?"

"None who meet all the criteria."

"Would you like my help?"

"No." He turns around and heads towards the exit. "If I.. have to do this, I'd rather do it on my own."

I nod as the doors slide closed behind him.

"Probability of success is low. I recommend lobotomising Jonathan Crane and using him."

"That wouldn't work. The lobotomy would prevent him from 'commanding' fear."

"Then I recommend ensorcellment to bind him to agreement."

"That might work, but Batman is still the best option." I sigh. "What elf sites still need to be checked?"

Last edited:
I see Batman is really going for a less fearful approach if he's wearing what I would call the "Brave and the Bold" batsuit.

"It's a viable approach. There's a big game hunter who lives for the fear he feels when he hunts prey that could kill him easily. There's a man whose species I killed who turned the fear he feels for the future into a weapon. There are serial killers who live for the fear their victims feel in their last moment. Yellow isn't a colour that lends itself to nobility."
I don't know who this big game hunter is. Does anyone have any idea who Paul is talking about?

"Citadelians." I shrug. "I sent in the report a while ago. I'm sure you read it. I theory, there's nothing stopping him cloning himself to recreate them; that's how they started in the first place. I don't know if he will or not. People ruled by their fears aren't likely to be rational."
That should say 'In'.

"I find your lack of faith…" He points his index finger at the ring. "Disturbing."

"That reference was disturbing. Sir, I'm afraid that the only way I can see this working is if you… Temporarily regain your former mindset."

"You wouldn't have made a film reference if that was true. Sir, have you ever used a power ring before?"

"I briefly used a green ring." He closes his eyes and bows his head. "I need to feel fear?"

"You need to command fear. And be able to feel fear; Jordan literally can't use it."

"Have you used it?"

I nod. "Not very well, but yes. Strategic fear is only something I use incidentally; I don't have a good feel for it."

"Sir, we need someone who can use that ring. Do you have any ideas-" He steps closer to the ring and picks it up between his right forefinger and thumb, examining it. "-who else might be able to get something out of it?"

"No." He turns around and heads towards the exit. "If I.. have to do this, I'd rather do it on my own."
It's funny that Batman would use that reference and sad that it shows that he's growing past his previous mindset but needs to regain it in order to help save Earth.

The Illustres should have probably told Batman that he was trying to respect his new vision and looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, circumstances are deteriorating and he's the best shot.

I see Batman is really going for a less fearful approach if he's wearing what I would call the "Brave and the Bold" batsuit.

I do agree with this thought, the "Brave and the Bold" was what came to mind as well. Which is sad, because the blue suit is more iconic for Neal Adams' Batman, in my mind one of the best runs for Batman, classic upon classic. Unfortunately, the animated series is more prevalent in the zeitgeist, to the point that it came to me and I didn't even watch the show.

I don't know who this big game hunter is. Does anyone have any idea who Paul is talking about?

I'm not certain who could it be, but my mind went to Catman before he was Catman. I'm not familiar with many "hunters" in DC.

17th February 2013
19:46 GMT

I watch as Mr. Atom coordinates the efforts of the Justice League worldwide. He's not plugged into the Watchtower's computer because he's specifically designed not to be able to perform direct interfaces, so he copes by using his highly precise sonic emitters to communicate with the computer with sound of a complexity the human ear can't distinguish and at pitches we can't hear. If the shield around his work area was to drop it would just sound like loud white noise to me, though Superman said that he rather likes it.
Honestly, having the enhanced hearing probably makes it more interesting. Imagine a concert. No, ten concerts, of ten different genres. All going on at once. Imagine that they sometimes harmonise, but for the most part are completely independent... And that's probably what Superman hears.

"Batman's arrival estimated thirty seconds plus minus ten seconds. You have three percent of my attention. This is still vastly more of my attention than you require so do not slow down. In fact, speed up to fifteen percent faster than you usually speak for peak efficiency."

I speed up my thought processes by sixteen percent.
Going the extra mile, eh? Presumably bypassing his vocal cords, though, since his throat and lungs can't speak faster.

"That might make it more difficult for Batman."

"I have learned that efficiency is not the only rational value metric. However, it is a highly important one and Batman could become a more effective individual by replacing no more than five percent of his brain with an augmentative computer."
...And now I'm picturing them sounding like Chipmunks. :V

"I didn't think that you designed those."

"You uploaded the design for Talon's augmentative onto the Justice League's database. I improved upon-"
Because of course he had time to poke around a bit. Given how fast he processes things.

"Recognised, Batman, zero two."

"-it."
Ah, the man of the hour. Time to slow down a bit, gents.

"Orange Lantern. What do you wish to discuss?"
...Honestly, dark blue is probably better at stealth than pure black. Darkness isn't purely black, after all. It's tinted, and colours like red or blue in extremely dark shades stand out less against it. Which some artists understood back in the day.

"Have you read Robin's report yet? Or mine?"

"Yes, and Doctor Mist is making it a priority to find out what he's doing. But Mister Atom was correct, there are simply too many elven portals listed for us to spare the resources to cover all of them."
Even if they could send just a single hero to each, they still couldn't cover them all, I suspect.

I nod. "I agree. That's why I want to go ahead with my Anti-Life removal plan immediately."

"Explain."
You know, for the sake of the audience who might have forgotten it. :p

"Combining the seven colours of the emotional spectrum can produce pure life force. The same thing that granted Doctor Mist immortality. My plan is to generate it and feed it into the Anti-Life broadcast network."

"Do you have all seven colours?"
...Ah, well, that's the sticking point. Five out of seven so far, and a maybe.

"Sort of. Orion of New Genesis has a red ring and the hate and anger required to use it. There's me, and I've got the best control of the orange light of any Orange Lantern. Lord Malvolio has volunteered to act as our green, and to my knowledge he's the most powerful green ring used ever. Alan's got blue, Dame Carol has violet and I… I think that the Medusa Mask can sub in for indigo."

He nods. "Now I understand how you reacted to my change of approach."
At least he's quick to see the issue.

"Yes." I take the yellow ring and lantern out of subspace. "I considered… I don't know, trying to make you angry so you'd… Try cowing me into obedience. Or…" I sigh. "You were my first choice. Alexander Luthor refuses to let me ask Joseph Harrolds, who would probably have been able to do it better. I… Don't have anyone else. No one I would trust with it, with the knowledge of what power rings can do."

"You don't think that I can do what you need me to do."
Oh, he's feeling a bit challenged, I see.

"It's not just about whether you can do it or not. If the rest of us cover you, I'm sure you could probably get a weak yellow glimmer and fire it, but that's not enough. The rest of us are people who really grok our colours."

"My whole approach was based around using fear as a tool to fight crime; manipulating the people I fought and intimidating the criminal underworld into hiding themselves. Is that what I need to be a Yellow Lantern?"
...I mean, it's a start. But you have to understand fear, to experience it and want to make others feel it.

"Which species did you kill?"
This week? I mean, it's not like OL hasn't been trying to annihilate whole species recently...

"Citadelians." I shrug. "I sent in the report a while ago. I'm sure you read it. I theory, there's nothing stopping him cloning himself to recreate them; that's how they started in the first place. I don't know if he will or not. People ruled by their fears aren't likely to be rational."

"I see. May I?"
Now, to see how well the new Dark Knight handles the ultimate weapon of terror...

He raises his right hand slightly in the direction of the ring.

"I hope you will. That's the whole point."
Really, OL? You're gonna make him do the thing?

"I believe you have a tradition of asking Lanterns to call their ring to themselves."

"Ye-ah."
Not that you intend to help him take it, though.

...Batman cracked a joke? The world really is in peril. :D Next thing you know he'll be talking about his 'Hammers of Justice'.

...Evidently not. After all, you only used fear as a tool. You didn't live it, understand it, internalise it the way a Lantern needs to.

Will is easy. That's why the Guardians use it. ...That and the less onerous mental effects - you want your space cops to be stubborn, after all..

"Have you used it?"
Hmm... Orange, Yellow, Blue, Violet... Any other colours I'm forgetting that OL's used?

A flicker. Not good enough, Bruce.

...Why do I get the feeling you're not getting that back ever, OL?

Not many heroes make the use of fear needed. And those villains who do... You don't want them having a moment in the middle of this. You know exactly the kind of 'Moment' I mean, too...

I nod as the doors slide closed behind him.
I expect he'll do something akin to the Sinestro Corps' Fear Lodges. Hopefully a little safer.

"Probability of success is low. I recommend lobotomising Jonathan Crane and using him."

"That wouldn't work. The lobotomy would prevent him from 'commanding' fear."
Even with an incredibly precise treatment such as OL could manage, you kind of need him functional.

"Then I recommend ensorcellment to bind him to agreement."

"That might work, but Batman is still the best option." I sigh. "What elf sites still need to be checked?"
Trust the Bat. He can pull this off. It might nearly break him, but he will do it...

Putting a lot of trust in batman that he can pull this off, OL. But if nothing else, he deserves the chance. Because any other option has too many conditions and risks involved. So OL's going to be scouting other dimensional portal sites while Bats is training, I suppose. Better than sitting around waiting for that 'Fear Detected' alert. And we know how OL hates sitting idle...

Batman cracked a joke? The world really is in peril. :D Next thing you know he'll be talking about his 'Hammers of Justice'.

Oh, don't pretend like you don't want that to happen.

Not many heroes make the use of fear needed. And those villains who do... You don't want them having a moment in the middle of this. You know exactly the kind of 'Moment' I mean, too...

Yeah, if they get involved then you run the risk of them hijacking Mannheim's control for themselves.

I love Mister Atom, he's a really cool character. I look forward to seeing what he does after this crisis. Hopefully he can be President some day.

Going the extra mile, eh? Presumably bypassing his vocal cords, though, since his throat and lungs can't speak faster.
No, he can just speak faster. Humans rarely speak at maximum speed, and I'm pretty sure a 15% increase is within the bounds of his normal capabilities.

Maybe "augmentations"
No, he's just refering to one.
I'm getting some Brave and the Bold vibes.
Basically.
Thank you, corrected.
I was thinking of a minor Sinestro Corps character from the comics. When they and the Green Lantern Corps are cooperating, he overhears some Green Lanterns complaining about having to work with a bunch of criminal murderers. His response is 'I've never comitted a crime in my life'.

I think I was conflating him with a character from Bruce Has A Problem, a character from Lantern Crane's squad.
That should say 'In'.
Thank you, corrected.

Since when can Jordan literally not feel fear? U less it just means he literally can't get I to the right heqdspace?

When the SI was listing who would use each ring he said that the Medusa Mask could be used as a substitute for Indigo, but not who he plans to have use the Medusa Mask. I would presume an active user is required? Though he's been pretty vague about how exactly the Medusa Mask will act as a substitute. It can produce the emotion, sure, but not a beam of Indigo Light which I would presume to be required for this own thing to work.

When the SI was listing who would use each ring he said that the Medusa Mask could be used as a substitute for Indigo, but not who he plans to have use the Medusa Mask. I would presume an active user is required? Though he's been pretty vague about how exactly the Medusa Mask will act as a substitute. It can produce the emotion, sure, but not a beam of Indigo Light which I would presume to be required for this own thing to work.
You're right.

But as Mr Zoat already had Grayven use the Mask to produce a beam of light for his own plan, it's a bit late for Mr Zoat to correct that. So just chalk it up to Mr Zoat changing how the Mask works.

It's a sometimes thing in the comics.
I think it was introduced with Hal's origin story (Abin Sur tells his ring to 'find me a man who is utterly without fear' or words to that effect), and then mentioned several times across the Silver Age and later, including one comic I recall where Hal is falling out of a plane after the Predator (back when he was just a projection of Carol's Super-Powered Evil Side) clawed up his parachute, and the narration says that Hal Jordan was 'born without fear.' The whole '<name> of Planet <name>, you have the ability to overcome great fear' thing was a later invention, possibly with the 2005 rebooted Corps.

Xenopsychology (part 20)
6 002 939.M41

"Y-yes." Bo'ohk nods stiffly. "You are as correct as I expected on all points of law."

His head turns slightly towards Tsua'm, who is just showing signs of pregnancy. Though from the twitches I've been seeing in the nasal clefts of my tau colleagues I'm going to assume that they've been smelling her state for a little while.

Bo'ohk takes a moment to think this through.

"But I see that you prepared this argument because you believed that there would be a degree a resistance to the idea."

Tsua'm makes a small mantling gesture with both hands. "Ceremonial marriages are a small but established part of Water caste diplomatic relations with primitive human worlds. As a result of my specialist duties I have not been assigned a mate to sire my children. The genetic material used was copied from healthy male tau of the Water caste, and P'ol has the authority to order me to breed."

I'm still not… Totally comfortable with her putting it like that. But tau are usually pretty direct about that aspect of their official responsibilities.

Bo'ohk gently pats the surface of his desk. "No one part of what you just said is unreasonable. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

I raise my eyebrows. "Oh? How so?"

He pauses again. I'm honestly not sure if it's just that he's having trouble getting his head around the idea, or if there's a reason other than 'it's highly irregular' that might make him object.

"Let us assume that the genetic work is viable, and the child is born a healthy member of the Water caste."

I nod. "I actually ran the genetic sample by the Eugenics Board to get a 'theoretical' assessment. They said that they would approve the owner breeding without special monitoring."

"Then how will they be raised? You are aware that amongst tau, parents have little input into their childrens' upbringing."

"Only on worlds that have been settled for a long time. On more recent colonies there are crèches, but biological parents have a lot more direct involvement."

It just works out easier to let children have apprenticeships with their parents than collect them all up and fly them to another city once they're on solids. It's a bit more limited with the Fire caste as it hardly makes sense to put children with soldiers on active duty, but tau on garrison or police duties can mentor their own cadets without much disruption. Similarly, tau who want to become parents will usually just run their and their potential partner's DNA by the local Eugenics Board to check for incompatibilities rather than wait to be assigned a partner. The tau have colonised so many places in the current expansion wave that things have gotten -by their anal retentive standards- a bit Wild West-y.

"That is a trend that is permitted but not encouraged."

I suck in my lips and raise my eyebrows, and wait to see if he works it out.

"And…" He realises that I'm trying to communicate something, and I see his eyes moves as he tries to work out what it is. First step: have I said something stupid. "And… You do not think that there is any risk of tau-human relations such as you have becoming more common, due to human-tau reproduction being impossible. Whereas the shift in child-rearing strategies used in the colonies could become more widespread."

Tsua'm opens her right hand. "It is more likely that those colonies will maintain that tradition. Outside of the military where it is sometimes necessary to instruct soldiers to leave the front line and breed, if we do not want to run out of soldiers."

A problem that Warhammer 40,000 never really addressed. The Imperial Guard can recruit 100% of Krieg's population due to them taking an ovum and a testicle from every Krieger and using giant artificial wombs to grow the next generation. Places like Catachan should barely be able to field a single regiment due to their home being a deathworld, and their women should effectively be barred from… Just about everything other than having children because there would be no way for them to replenish their losses otherwise. Similarly, if the recruitment rate on Cadia is 99%, with a small number joining the Ecclesiarchy, Mechanicus or navy, where exactly are the next generation coming from? Are they just shipping people in? So why are they shipping soldiers out?

Tau divide themselves by physically dissimilar castes. Fire caste children only come from Fire caste mothers and fathers. Nothing about putting all of your women on the front lines changes the basic mechanics of reproduction. Having children takes time. Getting pregnant, carrying the growing child and then raising the dependant child for the first few years which even tau children need for healthy psychological development takes a little over three Earth years. Tau only live about fifty years, and they have a sharp fertility drop-off towards the end of that. Put adolescent female Fire caste on the front line for their first Trial By Fire alongside the males as Fire caste tradition requires, and they die at the peak of their fertility with the greatest amount of potential breeding years ahead of them. And they deploy in mixed sex squads who get bonded, so just reassigning the entire female complement to garrison or police duty after their first Trial is awkward, even if it's what they've effectively ended up doing in a lot of places.

I nod. "Yes, I don't think you have to worry about human/tau coupling becoming common enough to be a problem. Tsua'm's role with our project is safe enough that there's no real issue with her raising our children, and if I have a little more input with that than most tau fathers…" I shrug. "The evidence is that that doesn't actually cause problems. If anything, having immediate exposure to an alien mindset might help if they end up going into diplomacy or interspecies trading."

"What if primitive people begin to expect their ceremonial marriages to…" He twitches. "I am smelling myself."

A tau phrase which means something like 'I'm chasing my own tail' or 'I'm getting myself confused'.

Tsua'm indicates a negative. "Such marriages occur amongst primitive human populations who have had little contact with the Imperium. It is unlikely that they would hear about it, and… Some require those involved to copulate in order for the marriage to be considered 'real', even where there is no chance of conception. It does not work well."

I nod. "Male tau are basically the wrong shape and female tau have…" I make a gate-closing motion with my hands. "Male humans don't have rings, so… It's quite painful."

Bo'ohk looks even more uncomfortable. "I was referring to their expectations of having offspring. Such people who have no understanding of the genetics of why it is impossible, and would not accept our word for it if there was an observable counterexample."

"The ones who keep it up tend to do things that wouldn't result in them having children even if they were the same species. We checked."

Bo'ohk raises his hands to cover his nasal slit, a gesture that's pretty similar to the human equivalent. "I now understand what you said. 'What has been learned cannot be unlearned'. This is a wisdom that I will pass on to my own sons and daughters, should I have any. Let us…" He lowers his hands. "Move on."

I extend my left hand towards Tsua'm, and she smiles in both a tau and human fashion as she takes it in her right hand.

"Master Shaper Gohk Krrah has agreed offer us the service of his shamen. They have been fed on a mixture of human and eldar psykers, and trained as best as the kroot can manage."

Tsua'm raises her head interrogatively. "They have not fed on ork weirdboys?"

"No. The Master Shaper prefers to avoid the flesh of orks for all his kroot followers. He feels that further ork DNA would serve no useful function."

I nod. "That's probably our best bet. Did he separate types of human psykers; astropaths, navigators, things like that?"

"For some individuals, yes. It is hard for him to get the more unusual types."

Makes sense. Imperial Guard armies don't use many psykers in the field, and then it's mostly battle psykers with the occasional astropath accompanying a senior officer. And as for negotiating for their bodies in exchange for mercenary work, forget it. Imperial Guard units desperate enough to use kroot mercenaries don't have those sort of resources.

I nod. "Then that's our next step. Any news on the other matter?"

"I have reached out to other Ethereals who have been associated with the project, and made representations regarding your concerns. So far none have indicated that your suspicions are accurate. It may help if you could identify more concrete problems which could occur if your guess that the ship was built by Krona was accurate."

I look directly at him. "I come from a parallel universe. That indicates that inter-parallel travel is possible, even with the warp getting in the way. But we have no way to know what limits exist. I'm not all that harmful, but what happens if the problem gets cracked by a species of sentient nanomachines? Or an entirely new type of demon? Or someone a little more powerful than a human with a ring? None of us know the extent of the potential risk. And our group is the best placed to deal with things like that. Please, emphasise that to all of your contacts."

His eyes flick left and right as he imagines what I just described.

"I understand your concern, and I believe that you are correct. I will redouble my efforts."

Last edited:
"I have reached out to other Ethereals who have been associated with the project, and made representations regarding your concerns. So far none have indicated that your suspicions are accurate. It may help if you could identify more concrete problems which could occur if your guess that the ship was build by Krona was accurate."
That should say 'built'.

6 002 939.M41

"Y-yes." Bo'ohk nods stiffly. "You are as correct as I expected on all points of law."

His head turns slightly towards Tsua'm, who is just showing signs of pregnancy. Though from the twitches I've been seeing in the nasal clefts of my tau colleagues I'm going to assume that they've been smelling her state for a little while.
Ah, now the fallout of their little 'project' is beginning to settle, eh? I suppose Bo'ohk's is that this wasn't cleared with anyone but the prospective parents. Which could raise all kinds of objections amongst the higher ranks...

Bo'ohk takes a moment to think this through.

"But I see that you prepared this argument because you believed that there would be a degree a resistance to the idea."
Gee, you think? We've seen how well the Tau tend to deal with the unexpected. Usually involving panic and hurried shooting.

Tsua'm makes a small mantling gesture with both hands. "Ceremonial marriages are a small but established part of Water caste diplomatic relations with primitive human worlds. As a result of my specialist duties I have not been assigned a mate to sire my children. The genetic material used was copied from healthy male tau of the Water caste, and P'ol has the authority to order me to breed."

I'm still not… Totally comfortable with her putting it like that. But tau are usually pretty direct about that aspect of their official responsibilities.
Just sidestepping the question of where the Water caste 'material' came from, of course.

Bo'ohk gently pats the surface of his desk. "No one part of what you just said is unreasonable. But the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

I raise my eyebrows. "Oh? How so?"
Whatever the universe, Paul always manages to step neck-deep in trouble, eh?

He pauses again. I'm honestly not sure if it's just that he's having trouble getting his head around the idea, or if there's a reason other than 'it's highly irregular' that might make him object.

"Let us assume that the genetic work is viable, and the child is born a healthy member of the Water caste."
To be fair, if he was so set in his ways to outright condemn this stuff, he wouldn't be on this project in the first place.

I nod. "I actually ran the genetic sample by the Eugenics Board to get a 'theoretical' assessment. They said that they would approve the owner breeding without special monitoring."

"Then how will they be raised? You are aware that amongst tau, parents have little input into their childrens' upbringing."

"Only on worlds that have been settled for a long time. On more recent colonies there are crèches, but biological parents have a lot more direct involvement."
Of course, such situations probably face discreet, inherent discrimination from 'pure' colony leadership, I bet.

It just works out easier to let children have apprenticeships with their parents than collect them all up and fly them to another city once they're on solids. It's a bit more limited with the Fire caste as it hardly makes sense to put children with soldiers on active duty, but tau on garrison or police duties can mentor their own cadets without much disruption. Similarly, tau who want to become parents will usually just run their and their potential partner's DNA by the local Eugenics Board to check for incompatibilities rather than wait to be assigned a partner. The tau have colonised so many places in the current expansion wave that things have gotten -by their anal retentive standards- a bit Wild West-y.
And living off the land like early colonies are forced to do, they probably consider the extra hands very useful.

"That is a trend that is permitted but not encouraged."

I suck in my lips and raise my eyebrows, and wait to see if he works it out.
Sometimes extreme circumstances require unorthodox responses. Which is probably his issue with it... It's not covered in The Rules. :p

"And…" He realises that I'm trying to communicate something, and I see his eyes moves as he tries to work out what it is. First step: have I said something stupid. "And… You do not think that there is any risk of tau-human relations such as you have becoming more common, due to human-tau reproduction being impossible. Whereas the shift in child-rearing strategies used in the colonies could become more widespread."

Tsua'm opens her right hand. "It is more likely that those colonies will maintain that tradition. Outside of the military where it is sometimes necessary to instruct soldiers to leave the front line and breed, if we do not want to run out of soldiers."
No doubt something the Eugenics board finds annoying, but tolerable as long as they step into line once 'proper' order is able to be maintained.

A problem that Warhammer 40,000 never really addressed. The Imperial Guard can recruit 100% of Krieg's population due to them taking an ovum and a testicle from every Krieger and using giant artificial wombs to grow the next generation. Places like Catachan should barely be able to field a single regiment due to their home being a deathworld, and their women should effectively be barred from… Just about everything other than having children because there would be no way for them to replenish their losses otherwise. Similarly, if the recruitment rate on Cadia is 99%, with a small number joining the Ecclesiarchy, Mechanicus or navy, where exactly are the next generation coming from? Are they just shipping people in? So why are they shipping soldiers out?
It's the old 'We never think about it, and neither should you.' conundrum.

Tau divide themselves by physically dissimilar castes. Fire caste children only come from Fire caste mothers and fathers. Nothing about putting all of your women on the front lines changes the basic mechanics of reproduction. Having children takes time. Getting pregnant, carrying the growing child and then raising the dependant child for the first few years which even tau children need for healthy psychological development takes a little over three Earth years. Tau only live about fifty years, and they have a sharp fertility drop-off towards the end of that. Put adolescent female Fire caste on the front line for their first Trial By Fire alongside the males as Fire caste tradition requires, and they die at the peak of their fertility with the greatest amount of potential breeding years ahead of them. And they deploy is mixed sex squads who get bonded, so just reassigning the entire female complement to garrison or police duty after their first Trial is awkward, even if it's what they've effective ended up doing in a lot of places.
Ah, the logistics of population control. At least the Tau have a willingness to work with the system. Humans would be rebelling against it left right and center.

I nod. "Yes, I don't think you have to worry about human/tau coupling becoming common enough to be a problem. Tsua'm's role with our project is safe enough that there's no real issue with her raising our children, and if I have a little more input with that than most tau fathers…" I shrug. "The evidence is that that doesn't actually cause problems. If anything, having immediate exposure to an alien mindset might help if they end up going into diplomacy or interspecies trading."
So, effectively having a young future ambassador who will understand Humans much better. Certainly, that's one way they could present it as viable.

"What if primitive people begin to expect their ceremonial marriages to…" He twitches. "I am smelling myself."

A tau phrase which means something like 'I'm chasing my own tail' or 'I'm getting myself confused'.
Heh. Thinking himself in circles, eh?

Tsua'm indicates a negative. "Such marriages occur amongst primitive human populations who have had little contact with the Imperium. It is unlikely that they would hear about it, and… Some require those involved to copulate in order for the marriage to be considered 'real', even where there is no change of conception. It does not work well."

I nod. "Male tau are basically the wrong shape and female tau have…" I make a gate-closing motion with my hands. "Male humans don't have rings, so… It's quite painful."
...More than I wanted to know about Tau anatomy...

Bo'ohk looks even more uncomfortable. "I was referring to their expectations of having offspring. Such people who have no understanding of the genetics of why it is impossible, and would not accept our word for it if there was an observable counterexample."

"The ones who keep it up tend to do things that wouldn't result in them having children even if they were the same species. We checked."
I'm not sure what that means, and I don't think I want to... :confused:

Bo'ohk raises his hands to cover his nasal slit, a gesture that's pretty similar to the human equivalent. "I now understand what you said. 'What has learned cannot be unlearned'. This is a wisdom that I will pass on to my own sons and daughters, should I have any. Let us…" He lowers his hands. "Move on."

I extend my left hand towards Tsua'm, and she smiles in both a tau and human fashion as she takes it in her right hand.
Yes, that's a common reaction to people of authority who have to work with various Pauls. :V

"Master Shaper Gohk Krrah has agreed offer us the service of his shamen. They have been fed on a mixture of human and eldar psykers, and trained as best as the kroot can manage."

Tsua'm raises her head interrogatively. "They have not fed on ork weirdboys?"
...Not the best idea. Ork Waagh energy tends to be... Unpredictable. But usually violent.

"No. The Master Shaper prefers to avoid the flesh of orks for all his kroot followers. He feel that further ork DNA would serve no useful function."

I nod. "That's probably our best bet. Did he separate types of human psykers; astropaths, navigators, things like that?"
Since each kind do have some measure of specialisation.

"For some individuals, yes. It is hard for him to get the more unusual types."

Makes sense. Imperial Guard armies don't use many psykers in the field, and then it's mostly battle psykers with the occasional astropath accompanying a senior officer. And as for negotiating for their bodies in exchange for mercenary work, forget it. Imperial Guard units desperate enough to use kroot mercenaries don't have that sort of resources.
Ah, yes. The good old Adeptus Astra Telepathica auxiliaries.

I nod. "Then that's our next step. Any news on the other matter?"

"I have reached out to other Ethereals who have been associated with the project, and made representations regarding your concerns. So far none have indicated that your suspicions are accurate. It may help if you could identify more concrete problems which could occur if your guess that the ship was build by Krona was accurate."
To be fair, his theory is based on metaknowledge they could not have.

I look directly at him. "I come from a parallel universe. That indicates that inter-parallel travel is possible, even with the warp getting in the way. But we have no way to know what limits exist. I'm not all that harmful, but what happens if the problem gets cracked by a species of sentient nanomachines? Or an entirely new type of demon? Or someone a little more powerful than a human with a ring? None of us know the extend of the potential risk. And our group is the best placed to deal with things like that. Please, emphasise that to all of your contacts."
Ah, the joy of outside-context problems. No-one can predict them, so they naturally blindside everyone. Except the one person or group crazy enough to be preparing for it.

His eyes flick left and right as he imagines what I just described.

"I understand your concern, and I believe that you are correct. I will redouble my efforts."
...Yeah, you bet your ass.

Heh. It's amazing how such simple scenes can be so fascinating... Or occasionally disturbing. Seriously, more than I wanted to know about Tau anatomy. At least the people in charge are reasonable enough to consider and acknowledge P'ol's explanations. Well, those who have been dealing with him long enough to get it, anyway.

Given Imperium humans run the gamut from cat people, to scalies, to space marines, to cyborgs with every attachment under the sun. This seems like a rather stupid argument to make.

And that's not even getting into the Psyker and Chaos options.

Because with those it's completely possible for some random schmuck human to go "I want to fuck a baby into that Tau." and actually do so.

Similarly, if the recruitment rate on Cadia is 99%, with a small number joining the Ecclesiarchy, Mechanicus or navy, where exactly are the next generation coming from? Are they just shipping people in? So why are they shipping soldiers out?
I think that most of the recruits probably don't leave Cadia. It's a heavily fortified world after all, it needs billions of soldiers. But maybe whatever source you got that number from specifically says they're leaving, in which case it's definitely just stupid.
And they deploy is mixed sex squads who get bonded, so just reassigning the entire female complement to garrison or police duty after their first Trial is awkward, even if it's what they've effective ended up doing in a lot of places.
'in mixed'
'effectively'
'What has learned cannot be unlearned'.
'has been'?

Similarly, if the recruitment rate on Cadia is 99%, with a small number joining the Ecclesiarchy, Mechanicus or navy, where exactly are the next generation coming from?
I vaguely recall one fic I read that had it being that proper Military service is mandatory from 16 to 26. After that most of them retire to the 'reserves,' ie the closest thing to civilians on Cadia, where they can raise families and are only reactivated in the event of a Black Crusade or similar.

Taking care of both the population issue and that planets need to have civilian infrastructure to be at all functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back