• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

That should say 'built'.
Thank you, corrected.
I think that most of the recruits probably don't leave Cadia. It's a heavily fortified world after all, it needs billions of soldiers. But maybe whatever source you got that number from specifically says they're leaving, in which case it's definitely just stupid.
Codex Imperial Guard, 5th Edition. The Cadian Veteran Sergeant is specifically noted as serving away frm Cadia. I think that the various historical notes have Cadians serving elsewhere, but I don't have it to hand. It's a bit weird that Games Workshop chose to do plastics for the two worlds that shouldn't be sending soldiers to other places, while Valhallans and Mordians only have 20+ year old metals.
'in mixed'
'effectively'
'has been'?
change -> chance
extend -> extent
Thank you, corrected.

Given Imperium humans run the gamut from cat people, to scalies, to space marines, to cyborgs with every attachment under the sun. This seems like a rather stupid argument to make.

And that's not even getting into the Psyker and Chaos options.

Because with those it's completely possible for some random schmuck human to go "I want to fuck a baby into that Tau." and actually do so.

Why would the tau be breeding with a chaos tainted human? Why would this encourage them to do that if they weren't going to anyway?

Classic Vae, assuming a problem exists despite all evidence to the contrary

Why would the tau be breeding with a chaos tainted human? Why would this encourage them to do that if they weren't going to anyway?

While, yes, in theory it's possible to get a chaos mutation that does just about anything, the chance of a chaos worshipper getting tau-compatible gonads is very small. Parasite implantation is a little more likely, but that tau's very small warp presence makes that sort of gestation unlikely to come to full term.

Codex Imperial Guard, 5th Edition. The Cadian Veteran Sergeant is specifically noted as serving away frm Cadia. I think that the various historical notes have Cadians serving elsewhere, but I don't have it to hand. It's a bit weird that Games Workshop chose to do plastics for the two worlds that shouldn't be sending soldiers to other places, while Valhallans and Mordians only have 20+ year old metals.
Yes, it seems clear that a significant number of Cadians do fight off-world. I didn't mean that they all stay on Cadia, just that most of them do. Having just read the Imperial Guard 5th Edition section on Cadians, the impression I get (though it isn't entirely clear) is that all Cadians are required to be competent soldiers, and it's considered normal to participate in at least one real battle, but after spending a few years in the Guard they usually become PDF on Cadia.

So, just throwing this out there, not a single Paul has said "Wotcher" or "Guvna" since this started a decade ago. Has Zoat been faking being British this whole time?

So, just throwing this out there, not a single Paul has said "Wotcher" or "Guvna" since this started a decade ago. Has Zoat been faking being British this whole time?
No, it's just that I'm not a stock working class character. I'm a stock upper middle class character.

Also, does anyone have a link to that Lee & Perrin sketch where the police have a common-to-nob translator?

Edit: Sorry, Smith and Jones.

Last edited:

You know Chaos isn't always obvious right?

It can literally just be something like "Farmer who wants kids with his no tiddy Tau girlfriend, finds an odd ritual that guarantees kids in his grandmothers old journal".

You know Chaos isn't always obvious right?

It can literally just be something like "Farmer who wants kids with his no tiddy Tau girlfriend, finds an odd ritual that guarantees kids in his grandmothers old journal".

And Vaermina misses the point again. What a shock.

Parry with an x-ionised sword.
The whole point of parrying is to STOP the opponent's weapon. Effortlessly cleaving through it doesn't do that. ^^()

"I'll deal with them" I turn away slightly.
Missing full stop.

"Thank you for your honestly. End-."
"honesty"

a tool to fight crime; manipulating the people
Comma instead of semicolon. (The rest were right.)

I would really love to see 40K Paul interact with Imperials more.

Like, maybe a mission goes south and he and a ragtag band of survivors are forced to work together against a greater enemy.

Do Or Die Time (part 7)
17th February 2013
20:02 GMT

Carol's entire body is covered in crystal armour, and I can't immediately tell whether it's a construct or some sort of crystaline power armour. Ghia'ta is wearing the same light power armour I made for her, and her aura is noticeably dimmer than I remember it being.

"Hail, Citrine! I trust your judgement in recalling us, but we are sorely needed below."

"Not for much longer, hopefully." I glance at Ghia'ta again, and-. And I walk over to her and hug her, letting the warm feelings I have for the team rise to the forefront of my mind.

She hugs back. "Thank you. I… I need to hear that."

"No trouble." I step back. "Dame Carol, you're here because I think I have a way to purge the Anti-Life network, and if Mannheim realises what we're doing he'll probably take extraordinary action to stop us. I'm assembling everyone I need for the plan now, and then we're going to carry it out. I need you."

"You asked for me and Ghia'ta."

"She's here in case you die."

Her helmet nods. "Wise."

"But that would still be bad because your control and focus are far better than hers, and this is going to be dicey any-"

"Recognised, Blue Lantern two four, Doctor Mist, two five."

"-way. Alan, Doctor Balewa, thank you for coming."

I offer Alan my right hand and he shakes it with a tired smile. To Dr. Balewa I offer the Medusa Mask.

"Can you use this?"

He considers it for a moment, his eyes unfocusing as he feels the front of its face.

"I believe so. What do you want me to do?"

"One moment. Orange Lantern Illustres to Lord Malvolio. Please respond urgently."

Alan frowns. "Isn't that the guy who-?"

Green flames waft around my ring and then burst, coalescing into a construct representation of Lord Malvolio.

"Lord Illustres. What business has the birth-cradle of mankind with me?"

"It's time to deal with the Anti-Life, and you're my first choice for the green-ring user. I apologise for the lack of notice, but I didn't want to risk the target finding out what I'm planning. Can you come here immediately?"

"Aye, I can. Priest can stand for me as my second. Await my arrival."

The image collapses into green energy which then reforms into a heavy wooden doorway.

"Huh." Alan looks at it thoughtfully. "I see what you mean. He does look a little like me. And you really meant it when you said that he's more powerful than you?"

"Power isn't everything, but it's a lot. His control is also excellent. As far as I know, he's the most powerful Lantern to presently exist."

"And he's going to walk through that door? How does that work exactly?"

"He's so powerful that I haven't seen records on exactly how it works, but once I explained how I can access the Honden-."

"Ooh." He nods slowly.

The door opens and Lord Malvolio strides through, armour construct glowing. He looks at Ghia'ta and Dame Carol with curiosity for a moment, then turns back to me.

"I hear the dark and dismal drone, a weight that would waylay mine will, that would hamstring and humble the human heart. That is something that I will not allow: its plans I will prevent and its designs I will destroy."

"Sometimes it requires more subtlety than smashing." Ugh. "Doctor, please put the mask on. We need you to see this as we do."

He nods, and cautiously places the mask on his face and then lowers his hands. The mask remains in place without any sort of strap.

"Curious. I believe thet I can see.. emotions. The light coming off of you. Eh, well, you are Lanterns so perhaps thet is not the best example."

"And I am untroubled by human emotion."

Dr. Mist turns towards Mr. Atom's work area.

"No. It is different, but I see your need to learn how your creators died. And your fear-."

"That is sufficient."

Not sure what that's about, but it's his business. "Can you see compassion? It should be indigo."

He keeps looking at Mr. Atom for a moment, then turns to look at me instead. Then on to Malvolio and Alan.

"Yes. I can. And I think I can… Touch it."

"You're already connected to the white light. We need you to create a structure out of compassion in the same way we do our colours. And if you can't then we're in quite a lot of trouble, so…"

"We will combine our energies to summon forth the white light. Thet is what you want?"

"Yes."

"I believe thet is possible, but I will need eh few minutes to confirm thet belief."

"It's okay. Batman's… Having trouble with the yellow ring. And I don't want to call our red ring user until the last minute. He'll be coming here by boom tube and there's no way that Mannheim could miss that. And he's… Virtually uncontrollable, so I intend to have him deploy at once."

"Ah. Betman's recent overcoming of his trauma."

"I'm happy that he managed it, it would just have been a lot better if he'd done it a few weeks later. In the meantime, Mister Atom, could you bring up our most recent intelligence reports on everything?"

"Certainly." A hologram of the globe appears in the middle of the room, and the rest of us spread out around it. "Mannheim's operations to gather up city leaders appears to have halted. The intelligence you gathered and the behavior of the sheeda indicate his new focus. Justice League assets are focused on striking critical infrastructure while he is distracted while Task Force X units are killing the sheeda where they appear."

"I thought you told Robin that you didn't have anyone spare?"

"I thought it best not to tell him that I would send murderers to kill hundreds as a result of his report."

I.. nod.

"Ask what you want to know. The map will respond to voice commands. My full focus is now needed elsewhere."

Last edited:
Ghia'ta is wearing the same light power armour I made for her, and her aura is noticeably dimmer than I remember it being.

That's what happens when you're near Anti-Life for nearly two months.

"I thought it best not to tell him that I would send murderers to kill hundreds as a result of his report

Yeah, even if it's just Sheeda he won't like it.

Plus there's a good chance that a lot of innocent people will be controlled there and Task Force X doesn't have a lot of hesitation when it comes to killing.

17th February 2013
20:02 GMT

Carol's entire body is covered in crystal armour, and I can't immediately tell whether it's a construct or some sort of crystaline power armour. Ghia'ta is wearing the same light power armour I made for her, and her aura is noticeably dimmer than I remember it being.

"Hail, Citrine! I trust your judgement in recalling us, but we are sorely needed below."
Ah, the gathering begins. Love and Desire are present, I see. And Ghia'ta struggling to maintain her focus under the Anti-Life's smothering influence, no doubt. Probably harder for her given how attuned to the Spectrum she is as a part-Maltusian.

"Not for much longer, hopefully." I glance at Ghia'ta again, and-. And I walk over to her and hug her, letting the warm feelings I have for the team rise to the forefront of my mind.

She hugs back. "Thank you. I… I need to hear that."
Heh. Squeezing the darkness out for a few moments, at least.

"No trouble." I step back. "Dame Carol, you're here because I think I have a way to purge the Anti-Life network, and if Mannheim realises what we're doing he'll probably take extraordinary action to stop us. I'm assembling everyone I need for the plan now, and then we're going to carry it out. I need you."

"You asked for me and Ghia'ta."
Well, you wouldn't go into something like this with only one gun, woudl you?

"She's here in case you die."

Her helmet nods. "Wise."
...Says a lot about her world where that's a valid explanation.

"But that would still be bad because your control and focus are far better than hers, and this is going to be dicey any-"

"Recognised, Blue Lantern two four, Doctor Mist, two five."
Ah, Hope comes, and with it, Life. Though I imagine the Doctor will be working with just one of the lights rather than all.

"-way. Alan, Doctor Balewa, thank you for coming."

I offer Alan my right hand and he shakes it with a tired smile. To Dr. Balewa I offer the Medusa Mask.
"No handshake? How rude, Lantern."

"Can you use this?"

He considers it for a moment, his eyes unfocusing as he feels the front of its face.
Given his magical skill, he might well be able to make sense of the mystical architecture of it, even.

"I believe so. What do you want me to do?"

"One moment. Orange Lantern Illustres to Lord Malvolio. Please respond urgently."
Ah, bringing in the biggest gun.

Alan frowns. "Isn't that the guy who-?"

Green flames waft around my ring and then burst, coalescing into a construct representation of Lord Malvolio.
Which is damn impressive given it normally turns comm-signals its own colour.

"Lord Illustres. What business has the birth-cradle of mankind with me?"

"It's time to deal with the Anti-Life, and you're my first choice for the green-ring user. I apologise for the lack of notice, but I didn't want to risk the target finding out what I'm planning. Can you come here immediately?"
As it is, if they're doing it on Earth, that much movement within the thaumosphere will be noticeable.

"Aye, I can. Priest can stand for me as my second. Await my arrival."

The image collapses into green energy which then reforms into a heavy wooden doorway.
I suppose he was busy back in his sector with something. If not, then Preist can keep things on an even keel until he gets back.

"Huh." Alan looks at it thoughtfully. "I see what you mean. He does look a little like me. And you really meant it when you said that he's more powerful than you?"

"Power isn't everything, but it's a lot. His control is also excellent. As far as I know, he's the most powerful Lantern to presently exist."
Thankfully, most Green lanterns don't have much in the way of ego when it comes to work.

"And he's going to walk through that door? How does that work exactly?"

"He's so powerful that I haven't seen records on exactly how it works, but once I explained how I can access the Honden-."
Honestly, I'm surprised Alan hasn't been poking about in his own mystical aspects. Too much focus on the material, maybe.

"Ooh." He nods slowly.

The door opens and Lord Malvolio strides through, armour construct glowing. He looks at Ghia'ta and Dame Carol with curiosity for a moment, then turns back to me.
And yes, he and Alan do look a little alike. It's probably down to the slicked back hair and the focused facial expression, I bet.

"I hear the dark and dismal drone, a weight that would waylay mine will, that would hamstring and humble the human spirit. That is something that I will not allow: it's plans I will prevent and its designs I will destroy."

"Sometimes it requires more subtly than smashing." Ugh. "Doctor, please put the mask on. We need you to see this as we do."
Well, given how powerful Malvolio is, he does have something of an advantage with direct solutions.

He nods, and cautiously places the mask on his face and then lowers his hands. The mask remains in place without any sort of strap.

"Curious. I believe thet I can see.. emotions. The light coming off of you. Eh, well, you are Lanterns so perhaps thet is not the best example."
It just means they shine brighter than most people.

"And I am untroubled by human emotion."

Dr. Mist turns towards Mr. Atom's work area.
Hah! As if. All things with a mind draw upon the Spectrum.

"No. It is different, but I see your need to learn how your creators died. And your fear-."

"That is sufficient."
Ah. Sore spot, Atom?

Not sure what that's about, but it's his business. "Can you see compassion? It should be indigo."

He keeps looking at Mr. Atom for a moment, then turns to look at me instead. Then on to Malvolio and Alan.
Comparing their metaphysical structures, especially the Orange Light-filled thing that is OL's soul.

"Yes. I can. And I think I can… Touch it."

"You're already connected to the white light. We need you to create a structure out of compassion in the same way we do our colours. And if you can't then we're in quite a lot of trouble, so…"
...This would be a really bad time to learn he can't do it.

"We will combine our energies to summon forth the white light. Thet is what you want?"

"Yes."
I suspect having him involved will make it a little easier too, given the link is already there as a tiny trickle.

"I believe thet is possible, but I will need eh few minutes to confirm thet belief."

"It's okay. Batman's… Having trouble with the yellow ring. And I don't want to call our red ring user until the last minute. He'll be coming here by boom tube and there's no way that Mannheim could miss that. And he's… Virtually uncontrollable, so I intend to have him deploy at once."
It's not like Orion would wait for the word to be given, either. One sniff of Mannheim and they'll have to haul him back with a leash.

"Ah. Betman's recent overcoming of his trauma."

"I'm happy that he managed it, it would just have been a lot better if he'd done it a few weeks later. In the mean time, Mister Atom, could you bring up our most recent intelligence reports on everything?"
Sadly, OL, the world does not run at the behest of your plans... I suspect you'd prefer it did anyway, though. :p

"Certainly." A hologram of the globe appears in the middle of the room, and the rest of us spread out around it. "Mannheim's operations to gather up city leaders appears to have halted. The intelligence you gathered and the behavior of the sheeda indicates his new focus. Justice League assets are focused on striking critical infrastructure while he is distracted while Task Force X units are killing the sheeda where they appear."

"I thought you told Robin that you didn't have anyone spare?"
...'Killing', OL. Not 'Capturing'. And that is probably something the taskforce is good at.

"I thought it best not to tell him that I would send murderers to kill hundreds as a result of his report."

I.. nod.

"Ask what you want to know. The map will respond to voice commands. My full focus is now needed elsewhere."
Heh. Good show of compassion, though, Atom. Trying not to disillusion the young is quite helpful.

So, one step closer to the big finale. Just waiting on Batman, then. Perhaps we'll see him struggling to call forth the light of Fear. And while Malvolio is a damn big gun to have on-world, I doubt even he could keep his power flowing if Mannheim turned the full force of the Anti-Life on him. So best not to go throwing him at something until you need to, OL.

I wonder how a fight with Mannheim would go.

Isn't Malvelio kind of ridiculously powerful by the standards of everyone else present? Like, he's so powerful he may as well be a maltusian?

Gonna be fun to see him kicking ass

I wonder how a fight with Mannheim would go.

Isn't Malvelio kind of ridiculously powerful by the standards of everyone else present? Like, he's so powerful he may as well be a maltusian?

Gonna be fun to see him kicking ass

It seems like power wise its:
Malvolio>Paul=Orion>Alan>Dame Carol=Balewa>Batman

However skill wise is probably

Paul>Alan=Dame Carol>Malvolio>Balewa=Batman>Orion

It seems like power wise its:
Malvolio>Paul=Orion>Alan>Dame Carol=Balewa>Batman

However skill wise is probably

Paul>Alan=Dame Carol>Malvolio>Balewa=Batman>Orion
Malvolio's skill is higher. Priest did actually teach him some practical stuff, and he's had plenty of time to practice.

Do Or Die Time (part 8)
17th February 2013
20:09 GMT

"…reaction before, Emerald Lord." Dame Carol studies Lord Malvolio in greater detail. "What explains your rare strength?"

"It is strange to me that mine strength is such that is seldom seen. My existence was not exceptional, my struggles not singular. Perhaps the practices and pedagogy of Priest prepared me properly for mine office." He shakes his head. "I had only him to whom I could compare myself; the surprise for me is that others are so much weaker."

"I'll tell Lantern Gardner that you said that."

"I have never lectured a novice-" He smiles faintly. "-Lantern. Perhaps it would please us both."

"And I've noticed that you have a slightly.. odd pattern of speech. Using words with the same first letter. Is there any particular reason why you do that?"

"It has been e'er long since someone observed the oddities of my oration. When my promotion to a position of paramount power required me to publically pontificate, I drew on my experience with the Salford Strollers."

"Who were..?"

"Amateur actors. I am no Papist, but I see little lamentable in telling tales as a means of moral motivation."

Alan smiles. "That's an interesting hobby. How exactly did you go from being an actor to being ruler of a whole Sector?"

"My family's fortune began with wool trading and expanded with the industrialisation of looms. It was mine great great grandfather…"

I back away from the conversation and edge towards the exit. Helpful as it would be to develop a closer relationship with people I don't actually know all that well, I need to find out how Batman is doing, because… Because while he might not want help…

I might have to force the issue.

The door to the main area of the Watchtower closes behind me-.

"You are thinking of forcing the issue."

Mr. Atom naturally doesn't need to be physically present in a place with this many cameras.

"I'd rather it not come to that. Do you have any advice for me?"

"Shooting his parents again would be inefficient. Last time it took twelve years for him to become an effective crime fighter after they were shot, and the chance of Mannheim taking that long to enact his plans is negligible."

"I was hoping that you might have learned something about how he thinks in your time working with him."

"I coordinated with Batwoman to persuade him."

That's not a bad idea. "How does she feel about his change in attitude?"

"She has spoken against his new beliefs on several occasions. She has stated that a degree of fear is necessary in a healthy society and that he fulfils that necessary function well."

Hm. If I… Have-.

No. If I decide to resort to extreme measure, it might be better for me if I don't openly admit what I did to his wife. Regardless of whether she agrees with me in this particular instance, I've always gotten the impression that Talia is extremely loyal to Batman. She might hold off telling him until after the mission, but she will tell him.

Mind controlling a team mate. That's far too close to what the League let Nabu do to Giovanni.

So, fine. I'm not going to hide it from him. IF I do it.

Batman's in the Watchtower's gymnasium, sitting on a mat. I can see yellow light but it's not really anchored in the way it used to be. Mastering a yellow ring isn't just about being able to feel fear on command. What he's doing… I don't think it can work.

And in other circumstances that would be great! Getting over psychological problems to become a happier and more rational person is something I'm in favour of!

But not right now when I need him to stay fearsome for another day.

I sigh, and knock on the door.

"Yes?"

"May I come in?"

There's a ping as the door unlocks. I press the 'open' button and walk inside.

He's.. actually got the cowl off, sitting on the floor in front of him and 'looking' at him. There's a simple domino mask covering his eyes, but his face is fairly distinctive. It doesn't really do much as a disguise. The yellow ring is in his right hand, while his left hand rests on his left leg.

"Any joy, sir?"

"No. I've been running some of my worst memories through my mind, trying to trigger… Something."

"Sir, I don't think that's the right-."

"Neither do I. What do you suggest?"

"Can you think of a time when people did what you wanted them to because you made them afraid?"

He shakes his head. "I tried that. Every time, I ruined it by remembering a time when they didn't. I've had people run off roofs to escape me, or shoot through a friend to try and kill me because they couldn't think of anything except their need to keep me away. And Jonathan Crane refuses any serious psychiatric treatment because he thinks he can be satisfied with the emotional reaction he gets from our fights."

I frown. "I thought I fixed that."

He sighs in frustration. "The prison psychiatrist took the stone away. He felt that it was impeding his recovery."

Oh, for goodness-. No helping the terminally stupid.

"You said that you had used it. What examples did you use?"

"I said I used it badly. I've intimidated people into obeying me with my reputation and power before. But as far as wide-spread fear use goes, the Reach have me beaten by far. When I tried to recruit allies, people who knew that the Reach were coming for them and that we were their only hope to avoid extinction, a lot were reluctant to join because they thought that it would mark them out as targets. Did you notice your actions having that effect?"

"To an extent, but insane people don't have the same priorities as regular criminals. I'm giving it up because it isn't working any longer, if it ever worked at all."

"Have you tried context reinstatement? Run through the events of the night where decided to become 'Batman'?"

"I was propositioned by an under-aged prostitute, stabbed, shot, and my mental state was altered by loss of blood when a bat flew in through my study window. Not all of us have our logo handed to us by the oldest species in the universe." He sighs. "I've been trying to think of someone who might be better than me at this. Have you tried asking Sinestro directly?"

"Too much risk of him doing something untoward afterwards. Ah. Look, I-."

"I'd rather that you didn't tamper with my mind to make this work. I don't believe that there isn't anyone in the whole universe who can do this instead of me. I.. doubt that you can understand, but I… I didn't like a lot about who I had become."

I nod, smiling. "No, but… I respect it. Keep… Trying, I'll… Try and find someone else."

I turn away and head for the exit, already fabricating the chemicals I need to force the issue, and feeling like a total heel for doing so.

Last edited:
17th February 2013
20:09 GMT

"…reaction before, Emerald Lord." Dame Carol studies Lord Malvolio in greater detail. "What explains your rare strength?"

"It is strange to me that mine strength is such that is seldom seen. My existence was not exceptional, my struggles not singular. Perhaps the practices and pedagogy of Priest prepared me properly for mine office." He shakes his head. "I had only him to whom I could compare myself; the surprise for me is that others are so much weaker."
So, you might say, he's simply built different?Seriously, if a Corps could learn that trick, how to make their Lanterns as powerful as Malvolio... That Corps would be positively unstoppable. Which would be a problem if the wrong Corps got it right...

"I'll tell Lantern Gardner that you said that."

"I have never lectured a novice-" He smiles faintly. "-Lantern. Perhaps to would please us both."
Has he met Guy? I rather suspect Malvolio would notice his Enlightenment, if nothing else.

"And I've noticed that you have a slightly.. odd pattern of speech. Using words with the same first letter. Is there any particular reason why you do that?"

"It has been e'er long since someone observed the oddities of my oration. When my promotion to a position of paramount power required me to publically pontificate, I drew on my experience with the Salford Strollers."
Heh. He does have a habit of alliterative appeal, doesn't he? And why not? It's fun.

"Who were..?"

"Amateur actors. I am no Papist, but I see little lamentable in telling tales as a means of moral motivation."
Which some branches of many religions have ever had issues with. (The 16th and 17th century sections are probably what Malvolio considers relevant here.)

Alan smiles. "That's an interesting hobby. How exactly did you go from being an actor to being ruler of a whole Sector?"

"My family's fortune began with wool trading and expanded with the industrialisation of looms. It was mine great great grandfather…"
Ah, now you've got him going on his life story...

I back away from the conversation and edge towards the exit. Helpful as it would be to develop a closer relationship with people I don't actually know all that well, I need to find out how Batman is doing, because… Because while he might not want help…

I might have to force the issue.
Which he probably won't thank you for, even if it works perfectly.

The door to the main area of the Watchtower closer behind me-.

"You are thinking of forcing the issue."
...Boy, Atom can just read you like a book, can't he, OL?

Mr. Atom naturally doesn't need to be physically present in a place with this many cameras.

"I'd rather it not come to that. Do you have any advice for me?"
Any particular insights into getting Batman pointed in the right direction?

"Shooting his parents again would be inefficient. Last time to took twelve years for him to become an effective crime fighter after they were shot, and the chance of Mannheim taking that long to enact his plans is negligible."

"I was hoping that you might have learned something about how he thinks in your time working with him."
And really, that wasn't a fear reaction anyway, once the shock and sadness passed. In the end, it became more vengeance using fear.

"I coordinated with Batwoman to persuade him."

That's not a bad idea. "How does she feel about his change in attitude?"
I can just picture her going along with the hammy Silver Age style if he leans that way. But she'll be shaking her head and rolling her eyes behind his back.

"She has spoken against his new beliefs on several occasions. She has stated that a degree of fear is necessary in a healthy society and that he fulfils that necessary function well."

Hm. If I… Have-.
Get a little support from his missus? Eh, not the best option, I think.

No. If I decide to resort to extreme measure, it might be better for me if I don't openly admit what I did to his wife. Regardless of whether she agrees with me in this particular instance, I've always gotten the impression that Talia is extremely loyal to Batman. She might hold off telling him until after the mission, but she will tell him.

Mind controlling a team mate. That's far too close to what the League let Nabu do to Giovanni.
Or what the Violet Light did to Zatanna, to a degree. Which is your fault.

So, fine. I'm not going to hide it from him. IF I do it.

Batman's in the Watchtower's gymnasium, sitting on a mat. I can see yellow light but it's not really anchored in the way it used to be. Mastering a yellow ring isn't just about being able to feel fear on command. What he's doing… I don't think it can work.
Ah, that's the issue, then. He's so used to thinking, to planning and strategising, that he's unwilling to let himself feel.

And in other circumstances that would be great! Getting over psychological problems to become a happier and more rational person is something I'm in favour of!

But not right now when I need him to stay fearsome for another day.
Bloody inconsiderate of him. Even though it might net us the BatB Batman eventually...

I sigh, and knock on the door.

"Yes?"
Not a good sign. He's either feeling too little to add more than a spice of colour, or he's controlling it too tightly.

"May I come in?"

There's a ping as the door unlocks. I press the 'open' button and walk inside.
Always polite to ask, especially with a goddamn ninja like the Bat.

He's.. actually got the cowl off, sitting on the floor in front of him and 'looking' at him. There's a simple domino mask covering his eyes, but his face is fairly distinctive. It doesn't really do much as a disguise. The yellow ring is in his right hand, while his left hand rests on his left leg.

"Any joy, sir?"
Heh. Still better than makeup 'raccoon eyes' like the Pattinson Batman.

"No. I've been running some of my worst memories through my mind, trying to trigger… Something."

"Sir, I don't think that's the right-."
Once the fire is lit, maybe that could keep it burning, but you need kindling to light it in the first place.

"Neither do I. What do you suggest?"

"Can you think of a time when people did what you wanted them do because you made them afraid?"
Oh, he's got plenty of those. Too bad not all of those times are good things.

He shakes his head. "I tried that. Every time, I ruined it by remembering a time when they didn't. I've had people run off roofs to escape me, or shoot through a friend to try and kill me because they couldn't think of anything except their need to keep me away. And Jonathan Crane refuses any serious psychiatric treatment because he thinks he can be satisfied with the emotional reaction he gets from our fights."

I frown. "I thought I fixed that."
True, in his urban legend days, he was no doubt very terrifying.

He sighs in frustration. "The prison psychiatrist took the stone away. He felt that it was impeding his recovery."

Oh, for goodness-. No helping the terminally stupid.
Argh. No doubt the expert thinks he's being helpful by 'removing a temptation' from crane's presence... That's not how you fix an addiction.

"You said that you had used it. What examples did you use?"

"I said I used it badly. I've intimidated people into obeying me with my reputation and power before. But as far as wide-spread fear use goes, the Reach have me beaten by far. When I tried to recruit allies, people who knew that the Reach were coming for them and that we were their only hope to avoid extinction, a lot were reluctant to join because they thought that it would mark them out as targets. Did you notice your actions having that effect?"
Ah, the differences between Paragon and Renegade paths... The Renegade knows his shit with fear...

"To an extent, but insane people don't have the same priorities as regular criminals. I'm giving it up because it isn't working any longer, if it ever worked at all."

"Have you tried context reinstatement? Run through the events of the night where decided to become 'Batman'?"
And that was one hell of a night. I wonder if he ever realised he punched out Selina that night?

"I was propositioned by an under-aged prostitute, stabbed, shot, and my mental state was altered by loss of blood when a bat flew in through my study window. Not all of us have our logo handed to us by the oldest species in the universe." He sighs. "I've been trying to think of someone who might be better than me at this. Have you tried asking Sinestro directly?"

"Too much risk of him doing something untoward afterwards. Ah. Look, I-."
It's you or no-one, Bruce. Man up and think of what will happen if you can't.

"I'd rather that you didn't tamper with my mind to make this work. I don't believe that there isn't anyone in the whole universe who can't do this instead of me. I.. doubt that you can understand, but I… I didn't like a lot about who I had become."

I nod, smiling. "No, but… I respect it. Keep… Trying, I'll… Try and find someone else."

I turn away and head for the exit, already fabricating the chemicals I need to force the issue, and feeling like a total heel for doing so.
Ah. Batman will not like that, I bet. Let's hope it proves unnecessary.

I'm betting one of the issues is that Batman is used to being in control of his fear. To pushing it down until it can't affect him. And he can't bring himself to let go of that control for fear of where it will take him, hmm? But to wield Fear is to ride a wild beast, fighting it as you direct it where you need it to go... Ironically, I suspect Sinestro knows that well, hence his search for those able to handle it.

The door to the main area of the Watchtower closer behind me-.
'closes'?
"Shooting his parents again would be inefficient.
The best part about lines like this is that I can't be sure whether he's joking or making a completely serious observation.
"Can you think of a time when people did what you wanted them do because you made them afraid?"
'them to'
I don't believe that there isn't anyone in the whole universe who can't do this instead of me.
'who can do'

I don't get why asking Sinestro would be a big risk? And saving the life entity should trump all else, right?

Sinestro is a bit of…. Well, he's a competent shitheel.

You can rely on him to get things done, but nine out of ten chances say he WILL screw you over almost as soon as what needs to be done is done, if not sooner.

Trusting him with something like this, with all the avenues and opportunities it would open for him is like dangling true immortality in front of Voldemort.

An all around bad idea, and Earth 16 just can't take any more of those at the present moment.

Also, I love Paul but I agree that he can be a little salty if he gets trumped by someone at his own game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back