• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I suspect that the reason regular FEV damages intelligence is because it's a huge drain on calories that isn't a net benefit to survivability when you're not formulating new strategies to survive in unfamiliar circumstances.
It's probably not so much acting to damage intelligence as it is acting to optimize energy consumption, reduced intelligence is just a side effect.
But this Paul's version of FEV was optimized by a power ring, it probably increases intelligence.
That's kind of not the point? The point was that in the lore he's called out as having low intelligence damaged further by FEV, while in gameplay they basically went "he's the final boss? 10s in all stats!" Which makes his other stats suspect from a lore perspective as well.

Equity (part 20) New
10th December 2282
08:36 GMT -6

Lanius is a big bloke.

I was a hundred and eighty three centimetres tall before I was exposed to the Forced Evolutionary Virus, and while I wasn't trying to grow so much as reconfigure my body I still ended up reaching a round hundred and ninety. Not quite basketball player tall, but enough to be the tallest in just about any crowd that doesn't have a supermutant or talking deathclaw in it.

The top of my head would just about reach his nostrils-.

He's got half a head on me, and he's fast. He's on me in a heartbeat, aiming to either knock me down with his right fist or bowl me over with his mass. I crouch under the swing and push, both fists extended towards his abdomen. His -ah!- left hand comes down on my back but I hit him too, fully extending into his diaphragm-

"U-ogh."

-and knocking the air out of his lungs with our combined momentum. He staggers back, but keeps his feet under him and manages a glancing blow to my right shoulder as I rise back to my feet. My fists hurt from hitting his cuirass. Regular legionaries might wear padded shirts or scrap metal, but that was steel. I do smile slightly as his right hand feels for the point where I struck and encounters the dent I just made, but I can only bring that sort of strength to bear by anchoring myself. He'll feel a punch, but my hands will feel it more and I don't heal that fast.

"Stron-" He pauses, apparently trying to get air into his lungs by sheer force of will. "You are stronger than I expected."

And so's he. My inertia shield should have-. I reach into my robes and find that there's some sort of residue on the join in the casing. Darn it. Too much airborne acid. My armour is okay, but it's light armour designed to absorb laser fire more than physical impacts, and covers far less of me than his does.

"My compliments to your armourer." I make a show of opening and closing my fists.

"But you use no magic." He approaches me again, more slowly this time. If he doesn't charge then I won't be able to hit him like that again. "And you favour one leg."

Lanius's armour is full plate. It covers his front and back, arms and legs. There are gaps at the back of his knees and around his elbows and there is probably another under his arms. His hands are covered in thick leather gloves and his head is exposed, and none of his armour is power-assisted. I should be stronger than him, and if I can get a grip on his neck I can break it or crush his windpipe. Breaking his fingers is another possibility.

What's he seeing in me? I'm only a competent brawler, relying on psychic powers and raw strength for the most part. No armour he can see, so-.

He throws a fast jab at my face, and I swing my right arm to slap his forearm aside. There's a slight opening, but he's swinging with his left hand and I'm forced to step back to avoid it. Go for his upper arm and try and push-.

Oof! And step back again as he knees me in the chest! I'm not winded, but that's going to bruise.

Lunge.

He's slightly off-balance, his left leg not quite back in place and his arms raised to protect his face. Both feet pushing and knee not complaining yet, I slam shoulder-first into his chest and this time force him back. He -ah- hits me with his-. Elbows? Fists? But the angle is awkward and he can't get much force behind it. Not enough, anyway. I step, and he's forced back, having to lean into me and move his feet to avoid being pushed over.

For an instant I consider ducking and grabbing for his legs, then an image of his greaves hitting me in the face appears in my mind and I decide against it.

He gets his feet more firmly under him, moves his hands to grab my robes, leans into me and pushes back. The muscles of my legs and chest strain in a way they haven't since I tested my strength against Colonel Shaw. And that didn't end well. I move my hands to try and grab one of his fingers and-.

Y-AAGH!

Fuck…

He kicked my bad knee and it gave way, but he couldn't keep his balance on one leg! We're both down, me half on top of him, but if he gets up-!

Right arm grab his shoulder, ignore his elbow strike. Left arm grab his neck ring and pull as he tries to-. Yes, heavier than I look, aren't I? Right hand punch to his face! He tries to push me off and since he's working against my weight rather than my strength he's just about able to lift me-.

Face! Face! Face!

He drops me when his nose snaps, and-. Oofagh! Fucking knee! Can't twist away because he might be able to get up! Hit him again! Swing harder! Pull with both-!

KRACK!

His left eye bursts as his eye orbit gives way.

"AH!"

His head lolls-.

Temple punch!

His head bangs against the tarmac!

Temple punch! T-!

Something grabs me and pulls me into the air! And-!

"…big cheer for Bachelor Number One!"

Doki's.. C-27 holds me up and shows me around as the prisoners watching cheer, whooping and banging on the metal grating to show their… Approval.

Okay. Breathe in, breathe out, and-. Yes, that's going to start aching in a few minutes, once the adrenaline starts to die down, but for now the only thing that really hurts is my knee and that doesn't hurt as much as it should.

Ah…

"Doki, I'm not a bachelor. Tears and I are getting married."

A hat, a wedding cake and a ring appear on her visor.

"Really?!"

"Yes. So I-."

Aaaaaagh!

She just-. Dropped me! My leg gave way obviously and is now flapping backwards! G-rrrrrrrgh!

"Doki, what the-. Oh, that's a lot of ants."

The ant horde sweeps over the wall, the outer defences firing but being massively overwhelmed. The guns cut out moments later as the ants… Attack them, moments after some sort of pouch hit them. Prisoners cower and hide as the ants bypass them and-.

"Quick!" Tanya waves at me from the back of a warrior ant. "Get on!"

"Knee's busted!"

She fumbles at her harness, and a pouch hits me in the face a moment later. Then a worker ant diverts, grabs me in its mandibles and then scurries on towards the opposite wall.

My leg is.. flapping back and forth and I'm not going to be able to fix it while in an ant's mouth-.

Focus. "Justinia! Get on!"

Justinia turns while holding the pot of boiling water and hurls is at McKinley who is only able to partially shield her face with her arms.

"Agh!"

Justinia then clambers onto one of the warrior ants, which heads for the far wall.

I make momentary eye contact with the C-27, which is showing an enraged face and two shaking fists.

"AR-GOS!"

Ah… Crap. "Tanya! Can you make these things scurry faster?!"

And we're up the wall, and Tanya's basically throwing all of the pouches she has.

"ARGOS IS ONLINE."

"I don't know but I'm gunna try!"

Last edited:
That's kind of not the point? The point was that in the lore he's called out as having low intelligence damaged further by FEV, while in gameplay they basically went "he's the final boss? 10s in all stats!" Which makes his other stats suspect from a lore perspective as well.
I'm going to assume that the Enclave think he has low intelligence because he deliberately flubs the cognitive attainment tests. It's like how Adam Smasher's cybernetics stat is so high that he could do a doctorate in his spare time but doesn't because that doesn't involve killing people.

Also, he's a prime normal. FEV is unlikely to damage his intelligence.

Also, good work BT! I'm back online!

Last edited:
I'm going to assume that the Enclave think he has low intelligence because he deliberately flubs the cognitive attainment tests. It's like how Adam Smasher's cybernetics stat is so high that he could do a doctorate in his spare time but doesn't because that doesn't involve killing people.

Also, good work BT! I'm back online!
Really? I would think it much more likely he just scared the person giving him the SPECIAL test so much the gave him a 10.

Maybe Frank just doesn't give a fuck about these stupid tests and just scribbles whatever on them while he ruminates on the exact force vectors required to pulverize the average Super Mutant's skull and how to most efficiently apply them.

10th December 2282
08:36 GMT -6

Lanius is a big bloke.

I was a hundred and eighty three centimetres tall before I was exposed to the Forced Evolutionary Virus, and while I wasn't trying to grow so much as reconfigure my body I still ended up reaching a round hundred and ninety. Not quite basketball player tall, but enough to be the tallest in just about any crowd that doesn't have a supermutant or talking deathclaw in it.
After all, people in the post-war wasteland were probably not getting the dietary necessities to reach their ideal height or builds. I bet the largest humans are only around 5' 6" to 5' 8" at most. Most would be a good few inches shorter.

The top of my head would just about reach his nostrils-.

He's got half a head on me, and he's fast. He's on me in a heartbeat, aiming to either knock me down with his right fist or bowl me over with his mass. I crouch under the swing and push, both fist extended towards his abdomen. His -ah!- left hand comes down on my back but I hit him too, fully extending into his diaphragm-
Big lad. Bet he's a big eater too. hope the ladies got a lot of meat and veg for the contest. :p

"U-ogh."

-and knocking the air out of his lungs with our combined momentum. He staggers back, but keeps his feet under him and manages a glancing blow to my right shoulder as I rise back to my feet. My fists hurt from hitting his cuirass. Regular legionaries might wear padded shirts or scrap metal, but that was steel. I do smile slightly as his right hand feels for the point where I struck and encounters the dent I just made, but I can only bring that sort of strength to bear by anchoring myself. He'll feel a punch, but my hands will feel it more and I don't heal that fast.
Since FEV doesn't do that much for things like bone density or connective tissues besides make them heal faster, yeah? Even a peak human is still limited by conventional material limitations.

"Stron-" He pauses, apparently trying to get air into his lungs by shear force of will. "You are stronger than I expected."

And so's he. My inertia shield should have-. I reaching into my robes and find that there's some sort of residue on the join in the casing. Darn it. Too much airborne acid. My armour is okay, but it's light armour designed to absorb laser fire more than physical impacts, and covers far less of me than his does.
And I doubt the greater weight is too much of an impediment, given his beef.

"My compliments to your armourer." I make a show of opening and closing my fists.

"But you use no magic." He approaches me again, more slowly this time. If he doesn't charge then I won't be able to hit him like that again. "And you favour one leg."
Yes, not really a fair fight. Sure you don't want a raincheck until Krono's healed up a bit?

Lanius's armour is full plate. It covers his front and back, arms and legs. There are gaps at the back of his knees and around his elbows and there is probably another under his arms. His hands are covered in thick leather gloves and his head is exposed, and none of his armour is power-assisted. I should be stronger than him, and if I can get a grip on his neck I can break it or crush his windpipe. Breaking his fingers is another possibility.
Also places like the top of his inner thighs. Even if he has a codpiece, I doubt it runs all the way back.

What's he seeing in me? I'm only a competent brawler, relying on psychic powers and raw strength for the most part. No armour he can see, so-.

He throws a fast jab at my face, and I swing my right arm to slap his forearm aside. There's a slight opening, but he's swinging with his left hand and I'm forced to step back to avoid it. Go for his upper arm and try and push-.
Honestly, he can just go for grapples and crush you under his larger weight if anything.

Oof! And step back again as he knees me in the chest! I'm not winded, but that's going to bruise.

Lunge.
Gotta hate it when the big guys are fast too.

He's slightly off-balance, his left leg not quite back in place and his arms raised to protect his face. Both feet pushing and knee not complaining yet, I slam shoulder-first into his chest and this time force him back. He -ah- hits me with his-. Elbows? Fists? But the angle is awkward and he can't get much force behind it. Not enough, anyway. I step, and he's force back, having to lean into me and move his feet to avoid being pushed over.
Sadly, Krono is very much the David in this Goliath battle. Smaller, lighter and less-well protected. And no real speed advantage thanks to his knee...

For an instant I consider ducking and grabbing for his legs, then an image of his greaves hitting me in the face appears in my mind and I decide against it.

He gets his feet more firmly under him, moves his hands to grab my robes, leans into me and pushes back. The muscles of my legs and chest strain in a way they haven't since I tested my strength against Colonel Shaw. And that didn't end well. I move my hands to try and grab one of his fingers and-.
No matter how tough you are, joint holds and finger locks hurt.

Y-AAGH!

Fuck…

He kicked my bad knee and it gave way, but he couldn't keep his balance on one leg! We're both down, me half on top of him, but if he gets up-!
On the upside, his ground skills might not be the best.

Right arm grab his shoulder, ignore his elbow strike. Left arm grab his neck ring and pull as he tries to-. Yes, heavier than I look, aren't I? Right hand punch to his face! He tries to push me off and since he's working against my weight rather than my strength he's just about able to lift me-.

Face! Face! Face!
And desperation can sometimes outdo skill, even if he's the Legion pankration champion.

He drops me when his nose snaps, and-. Oofagh! Fucking knee! Can't twist away because he might be able to get up! Hit him again! Swing harder! Pull with both-!

KRACK!
Great. scrabbling in the dirt like toddlers. Albeit super-strong toddlers with healing factors...

His left eye bursts as his eye orbit gives way.

"AH!"
Oof. That might reduce his looks a bit. On the other hand, chicks dig eyepatches.

His head lolls-.

Temple punch!

His head bangs against the tarmac!
Ah, Krono, I don't think Doki's gonna like it if you kill the objective of the dating show.

Temple punch! T-!

Something grabs me and pulls me into the air! And-!

"…big cheer for Bachelor Number One!"
Right. Hopefully Lanius merely has a busted eye and a headache, rather than a fatal skull fracture.

Doki's.. C-27 holds me up and shows me around as the prisoners watching cheer, whooping and banging on the metal grating to show their… Approval.

Okay. Breathe in, breathe out, and-. Yes, that's going to start aching in a few minutes, once the adrenaline starts to die down, but for now the only thing that really hurts is my knee and that doesn't hurt as much as it should.
Adrenaline's a marvel, isn't it? Until it wears off and the crash hits.

Ah…

"Doki, I'm not a bachelor. Tears and I are getting married."
Ooh... Distracting her with the news of the engagement? Good plan.

A hat, a wedding cake and a ring appear on her visor.

"Really?!"
On the other hand, she might want to get involved in the wedding.

"Yes. So I-."

Aaaaaagh!

She just-. Dropped me! My leg gave way obviously and is now flapping backwards! G-rrrrrrrgh!
...Better hope your guys have decent medical.

"Doki, what the-. Oh, that's a lot of ants."

The ant horde sweeps over the wall, the outer defences firing but being massively overwhelmed. The guns cut out moments later as the ants… Attack them, moments after some sort of pouch hit them. Prisoners cower and hide as the ants bypass them and-.
Ah, Ant-girl. Coming to the rescue, I see.

"Quick!" Tanya waves at me from the back of a warrior ant. "Get on!"

"Knee's busted!"
I mean... Once you're on, you might not need your legs to stay in place...

She fumbles at her harness, and a pouch hits me in the face a moment later. Then a worker ant diverts, grabs me in its mandibles and then scurries on towards the opposite wall.

My leg is.. flapping back and forth and I'm not going to be able to fix it while in an ant's mouth-.
Ow. What's the bet she hit him with a pheromone that makes the ants think he's a larva to be protected?

Focus. "Justinia! Get on!"

Justinia turns while holding the pot of boiling water and hurls is at McKinley who is only able to partially shield her face with her arms.
Oh, nasty. That's going to leave a mark. And a grudge.

"Agh!"

Justinia then clambers onto one of the warrior ants, which heads for the far wall.
Well, contest's over, I guess? McKinley wins by default.

I make momentary eye contact with the C-27, which is showing an enraged face and two shaking fists.

"AR-GUS!"
...Crap. Time to run like you just aggro'd the entire wasteland...

Ah… Crap. "Tanya! Can you make these things scurry faster?!"

And we're up the wall, and Tanya's basically throwing all of the pouches she has.
Still gonna be a long trip to safety.

"ARGUS IS ONLINE."

"I don't know but I'm gunna try!"
And now the running begins. Good thing the ants are pretty quick?

Welp, Doki's pissed off, her boyfriend is probably drawing up warrants for all three of you as we speak, and you have a giant robot chasing you. ...Typical day in the wasteland for some folks, really. 😏 I'm guessing Krono will direct them to friendly territory, while trying to muster enough strength to realign what's left of his knee. Fun times ahead.

Welp, Doki's pissed off, her boyfriend is probably drawing up warrants for all three of you as we speak, and you have a giant robot chasing you. ...Typical day in the wasteland for some folks, really. 😏 I'm guessing Krono will direct them to friendly territory, while trying to muster enough strength to realign what's left of his knee. Fun times ahead.
Eagle Rock isn't all that far away through Oroboros territory, and Hekate probably won't bother stopping a fleeing horde of giant ants.

Why is he so heavy? And how much does he weigh?

What's Mr. House's actual INT?
Mr Robert House has a 10 in every stat except charisma which is a five and in strength and agility where he only has a single point each which makes sense with the only glaring issue is that he has a 10 in endurance which would only make sense if the life support machine he is using is considered part of his body.

Mr Robert House has a 10 in every stat except charisma which is a five and in strength and agility where he only has a single point each which makes sense with the only glaring issue is that he has a 10 in endurance which would only make sense if the life support machine he is using is considered part of his body.
Not on the Wiki I read. Where are you getting that?

Not on the Wiki I read. Where are you getting that?
Gotta love the competing Fallout Wikis. This one says House's SPECIAL is 1/10/10/5/10/1/10. However, this one and this other one both say he has all fives as a computer, and 1/10/10/1/5/5/10 in the Pod. And of course, none of the three provide any citation for those stats. I'm just going to assume there are even more Fallout wikis floating around that I didn't find.

Equity (part 21) New
April 20th, 2013
Now

Way to ruin a perfectly good day.

My right arm ripples as I do a flying punch and obliterate the training drone I've got set up.

Not like they'd ever let me use the Lantern training grounds.

I usually set these things at a higher level, trying to impress the Controller as much as to improve myself. But right now I've got them set to Reach soldier level because I'm in a mood to smash some things up.

It's always the fucking way.

A shimmering beam of fire from my eyes melts another drone to slag.

Mom dies, okay. Maybe I should feel bad for her, but I was too young to remember her and it's not like she needs it. Dad was drunk most of the time and-. Yeah, okay, learned all the wrong lessons there, but I made a point of not acting out with stuff I actually cared about. Made fuck-all difference. Could not get any work. How smart does a roadie have to be? I could lift stuff. I could earn-.

I fly around a burst of fire from two other drones, then just let a few more hit me. Psychological impact, right? No one likes to think they can't make a difference against what they're fighting.

Then by pure fluke the Controller found me. And as much as he says he doesn't particularly care about me-. Hell, I'll take his 'not caring' over everyone else in my life. Superpowers, the good shit, not 'super-archery' or 'super-spitting' or something shitty like that.

Gardner said I should count my blessings. So, fine. I can fly. In space. I can just go from one planet to another. Look around, see what's there.

And then leave, because there's nothing there I actually care about.

Not that I know what that would be like.

I can burn stuff by hitting it or by looking at it. I don't need to breathe unless I want to talk. Talk normally, because I can actually talk without-. Whatever. And I think: 'Okay, great! I've got some sort of purpose now. I can do stuff, I can matter'.

Except both of the Lanterns from around Earth can do everything I can, and better, and more.

And I get they weren't-. It wasn't personal. Paul wasn't a dick about it the one time we worked together. But GOD DAMN! Superman can't fly around the-. Ah, the stellar neighbourhood!

So, fine, the Controller's fine with me fighting the Reach. And the Reach are evil, I'm not-. They're the worst. Actual space Nazis, so I don't need to worry about pulling my punches. And when I try and do better than whatever Lanterns are attached to the fleet, a lot of the time I can do it. Not every time, they put in the effort too, but I can. I'm competitive, doing something. Not my fault I got born in a place with a bunch of super-Lanterns. Regular Lanterns, I can beat.

And those L.E.G.I.O.N. guys even invited me for drinks after I killed that Scarab. That… Hurt, but… Yeah, worth it.

And now it turns out that I missed some kind of huge disaster on Earth where I could have made a difference. Okay, maybe I had… Basically no life there, but it's still Earth! Saving the Earth is what a hero's supposed to do, and I could have been a part of that!

And-!

And.. I've wrecked them all. I bet a Lantern could put them back together no problem. I can just wreck them.

Or-. Maybe I could talk to Clicking-Scratch about-.

Then the Controller just appears in front of me, and I straighten up.

"Effigy. Accompany me."

"Yes, si-."

And then we're in his laboratory… Thing. I don't know, this shit is way beyond me. I've seen the Controller make a literal space ship just by staring at an asteroid, so I don't know why he actually needs machines and I don't know what these machines do that's so important.

Except that one. That one I don't like looking at. Not complaining, but getting these powers hurt. And… More than just hurting. I've been hurt before. That was-.

Not something to think about.

I 'breathe' a sigh when we go past that machine and over to-.

Is that a Guardian? I've only seen pictures, and… I don't think they had hair like that. I look at the Controller, and I'm trying to work out if he's going to say anything or-.

"My late brother, Krona. He was condemned by the Guardians for utterly ruining the universe at the moment of its creation."

"Ruined… How, sir? I don't think it's so bad."

"It is a fraction of the size it should be. Depending on how an individual assigns value, there is a coherent argument to be made that he was the worst being in history."

"Is he dead? Or is that just holding him there."

"Truly killing a Maltusian is difficult. But for most purposes you may think of him as dead. You have not read the file on his encounter with the Illlustres."

Was I meant to? "No, sir."

I'd feel like I'd failed, but if he actually wants me to do something he's a Hell of a lot more direct about it. I think he's just… Talking.

"He created a fascinating device. It used parallel universe versions of the Illustres and another human he was frequently in contact with to scan huge segments of the multiverse. I have not been able to recreate it."

"Why do you want to?"

"Each parallel universe utilises a slightly different set of underlying operating principles. Learning them grants knowledge not merely of what is possible, but of what can be possible if those operating principles are changed. Or in flux. So while I cannot currently recreate the device, I have been able to utilise the link between the various versions of the Illustres to communicate with many of them."

Great.

"I have convinced them to share objects of interest. I have not completed my study of them, but those that I have studied have increased my understanding to the point that Effigies will be far stronger in future than my first version."

No.

Not… This as well. Not the one thing-. Everyone else is going to be better than me? They'll look a little like me, but they'll all-.

Where's the exit? I-.

"Of course, I will have to test the implementation upon you first."

Oh thank you God.

"I feel your dissatisfaction with the fact that you cannot equal the most powerful Lanterns. My emotions are different to yours, but be assured that I wish to elevate you just as much as you want to be elevated."

"T-. Thank you. What..? What improvements are you talking about?"

He… Floats over to a time suspension pod. It's got a… Couple of drops of blood in it? Weird.

"It is somewhat simple, but I intend to start by making you strong enough to tear a Scarab Warrior in half without using your destabilisation ability. I suspect that you will enjoy that."

I'm smiling, aren't I?

"I think I will too, sir."

Last edited:
So here we have a bit of confirmation. Jevek is his name, right? The Controller responsible for Effigy. And apparently he has Krona. How?

By the way, Effigy more than upgrades needs actual psychological help. This guy is a bad misunderstanding away from going Supervillain or something like that. He has the mentality of those characters that want to be heroes but don't actually know how, mess up big time at some event and commit a tragedy, but then deny any responsibilty for it and become a villain and nemesis of an actual hero that was around the event. This shit looks dangerous.

And now he's gonna get upgraded with stuff from the multiverse? What is this? A jumpchain fanfic all of a sudden?

April 20th, 2013
Now

Way to ruin a perfectly good day.

My right arm ripples as I do a flying punch and obliterate the training drone I've got set up.
Hmm... An imprecise timestamp. Not a Lantern.... And reading ahead, this is Effigy. So, we get a look inside his fiery head and see just what state of mind the constant Burning power results in. Let's see where this is going, shall we? 🤔

Not like they'd ever let me use the Lantern training grounds.

I usually set these things at a higher level, trying to impress the Controller as much as to improve myself. But right now I've got them set to Reach soldier level because I'm in a mood to smash some things up.
Heh. Taking out some frustrations on easy target, eh? Good way to get a workout and relieve some stress.

It's always the fucking way.

A shimmering beam of fire from my eyes melts another drone to slag.
I'm guessing he hasn't had a good day, either.

Mom dies, okay. Maybe I should feel bad for her, but I was too young to remember her and it's not like she needs it. Dad was drunk most of the time and-. Yeah, okay, learned all the wrong lessons there, but I made a point of not acting out with stuff I actually cared about. Made fuck-all difference. Could not get any work. How smart does a roadie have to be? I could lift stuff. I could earn-.
Goes a long way to explain why he is the way he is, and why he's so compatible with the Burning power.

I fly around a burst of fire from two other drones, then just let a few more hit me. Psychological impact, right? No one likes to think they can't make a difference against what they're fighting.

Then by pure fluke the Controller found me. And as much as he says he doesn't particularly care about me-. Hell, I'll take his 'not caring' over everyone else in my life. Superpowers, the good shit, not 'super-archery' or 'super-spitting' or something shitty like that.
Clever move, but not really that useful against drones who don't have morale. Unless they're programmed to react as if they were people...

Gardner said I should count my blessings. So, fine. I can fly. In space. I can just go from one planet to another. Look around, see what's there.

And then leave, because there's nothing there I actually care about.

Not that I know what that would be like
Worrying. Not having any cause to fight for might make him decide the war's a mug's game and beg off. Hopefully his boss has a remote shut-off capability in there somewhere.

I can burn stuff by hitting it or by looking at it. I don't need to breathe unless I want to talk. Talk normally, because I can actually talk without-. Whatever. And I think: 'Okay, great! I've got some sort of purpose now. I can do stuff, I can matter'.

Except both of the Lanterns from around Earth can do everything I can, and better, and more.
Ah. I see. Feeling a little inadequate? Especially comparing himself to OL and Guy, who are exceptional by Lantern standards.

And I get they weren't-. It wasn't personal. Paul wasn't a dick about it the one time we worked together. But GOD DAMN! Superman can't fly around the-. Ah, the stellar neighbourhood!

So, fine, the Controller's fine with me fighting the Reach. And the Reach are evil, I'm not-. They're the worst. Actual space Nazis, so I don't need to worry about pulling my punches. And when I try and do better than whatever Lanterns are attached to the fleet, a lot of the time I can do it. Not every time, they put in the effort too, but I can. I'm competitive, doing something. Not my fault I got born in a place with a bunch of super-Lanterns. Regular Lanterns, I can beat.
That's the problem with a powerset designed as a weapon, not as a tool. You're still stronger than Darkstars and regular marines...

And those L.E.G.I.O.N. guys even invited me for drinks after I killed that Scarab. That… Hurt, but… Yeah, worth it.

And now it turns out that I missed some kind of huge disaster on Earth where I could have made a difference. Okay, maybe I had… Basically no life there, but it's still Earth! Saving the Earth is what a hero's supposed to do, and I could have been a part of that!
Heh. Despite what he claims, he does care for his homeworld.

And-!

And.. I've wrecked them all. I bet a Lantern could put them back together no problem. I can just wreck them.
Perhaps with a little training, he could learn to repair things telekinetically. I doubt he could rearrange complex molecules, unless he can get some way of storing schematics in mind.

Or-. Maybe I could talk to Clicking-Scratch about-.

Then the Controller just appears in front of me, and I straighten up.
...Okay, now I think I see where this is going...

"Effigy. Accompany me."

"Yes, si-."

And then we're in his laboratory… Thing. I don't know, this shit is way beyond me. I've seen the Controller make a literal space ship just by staring at an asteroid, so I don't know why he actually needs machines and I don't know what these machines do that's so important.
It saves him having to do it himself. Things he doesn't want to have to sit around doing manually. Precise engineering, irksome chemical restructuring, that kind of thing... Necessarily for mass-producing super-soldiers.

Except that one. That one I don't like looking at. Not complaining, but getting these powers hurt. And… More than just hurting. I've been hurt before. That was-.

Not something to think about.
I can't imagine the Controller put much effort into making the process painless. Probably considers it a test of strength. If they die from the pain, they weren't tough enough to be useful.

I 'breathe' a sigh when we go pack that machine and over to-.

Is that a Guardian? I've only seen pictures, and… I don't think they had hair like that. I look at the Controller, and I'm trying to work out if he's going to say anything or-.
Kind of telling how many of the Guardians are bald or balding, isn't it? Stressful job, managing the policing an entire galaxy.

"My late brother, Krona. He was condemned by the Guardians for utterly ruining the universe at the moment of its creation."

"Ruined… How, sir? I don't think it's so bad."
...Shiiiiit... Let's hope he doesn't hold a grudge against OL or his alternates.

"It is a fraction of the size it should be. Depending on how an individual assigns value, there is a coherent argument to be made that he was the worst being in history."

"Is he dead? Or is that just holding him there."
On the other hand, it's still freaking huge, at least by human scales.

"Truly killing a Maltusian is difficult. But for most purposes you may think of him as dead. You have no read the file on his encounter with the Illlustres."

Was I meant to? "No, sir."
Ah... the joy of thinking your boss expected you to do something he didn't think to mention... Alternatively, the logs might be restricted to senior levels of command.

I'd feel like I'd failed, but if he actually wants me to do something he's a Hell of a lot more direct about it. I think he's just… Talking.

"He created a fascinating device. It used parallel universe version of the Illustres and another human he was frequently in contact with to scan huge segments of the multiverse. I have not been able to recreate it."
And I bet he's been rather frustrated by that.

"Why do you want to?"

"Each parallel universe utilises a slightly different set of underlying operating principles. Learning them grants knowledge not merely of what is possible, but of what can be possible if those operating principles are changed. Or in flux. So while I cannot currently recreate the device, I have been able to utilise the link between the various versions of the Illustres to communicate with many of them."
Oh, boy. This is the Controller that's been hitting up other alt!Pauls, isn't it? That means he likely already has samples of Cybertronians, Energon (both original flavour, dark and Synthetic,) Earth Twelve technology and... Viltrumite DNA. 😨

Great.

"I have convinced them to share objects of interest. I have not completed my study of them, but those that I have studied have increased my understanding to the point that Effigies will be far stronger in future than my first version."
Love that. Effigy's all 'why are you even telling me this, boss?' and the Controller is all 'Time to commit acts of SCIENCE!'

No.

Not… This is well. Not the one thing-. Everyone else is going to be better than me? They'll look a little like me, but they'll all-.
Oof. unknowingly being kicked right in his insecurities.

Where's the exit? I-.

"Of course, I will have to test the implementation upon you first."
Ah, great. Who knows what stapling all these other power-ups to him will do? Especially when they combine...

Oh thank you God.

"I feel your dissatisfaction with the fact that you cannot equal the most powerful Lanterns. My emotions are different to yours, but be assured that I wish to elevate you just as much as you want to be elevated."
Though in the Controller's case (Jevek, was it?) it's more about proving his scientific prowess is better than Hinon's Anyone's...

"T-. Thank you. What..? What improvements are you talking about?"

He… Floats over to a time suspension pod. It's got a… Couple of drops of blood in it? Weird.
Oh, boy. Going straight for the big 'fuck you' button of Vilrumite blood...

"It is somewhat simple, but I intend to start by making you strong enough to tear a Scarab Warrior in half without using your destabilisation ability. I suspect that you will enjoy that."

I'm smiling, aren't I?

"I think I will too, sir."
Which will be interesting to compare to a Daxamite or Kryptonian's strength level, sure. As long as it doesn't come from Effigy fighting Superman... Or a Supergirl.

This has so much potential to go wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. It's a safe bet that Effigy's mental issues and emotional insecurities will cause him to go a little crazy with the rush of power. Guy probably isn't the most stable basis for this project, and now he's going to be getting bolt-on extras that may well result in some devastating conflicts.

Did Nazi!Supergirl get wounded during the crisis of infinite Pauls? Could that be kryptonian blood?

Krona's manhunters didn't have blood. This probably isn't from any version of Jade, though the red Queen (?) that worked with Time Trapper Paul could be considered a loose end from all of that. Can't see her blood giving Effigy super strength though.

In the comics (New 52), a schizophrenic Effigy eventually spits out three weaker copies: Torch, Blaze, and Ember. I'm probably overthinking this, but I bet a Controller could upgrade/curse Effigy until he is the catalyst for something like Cyborg Superman.

Did Nazi!Supergirl get wounded during the crisis of infinite Pauls? Could that be kryptonian blood?

Krona's manhunters didn't have blood. This probably isn't from any version of Jade, though the red Queen (?) that worked with Time Trapper Paul could be considered a loose end from all of that. Can't see her blood giving Effigy super strength though.

In the comics (New 52), a schizophrenic Effigy eventually spits out three weaker copies: Torch, Blaze, and Ember. I'm probably overthinking this, but I bet a Controller could upgrade/curse Effigy until he is the catalyst for something like Cyborg Superman.

Unless I'm incredibly mistaken, that's probably Viltrumite blood. The Controller just said that he's contacting versions of the Illustres across the multiverse to acquire different things for possible upgrades and Matthew King was the most recent one that acquired anything blood-related.

And now he's gonna get upgraded with stuff from the multiverse? What is this? A jumpchain fanfic all of a sudden?
No, but it is a fic where we gave harry potter a death star. Paul can win a fight against not just entire planets, but mid sized interstellar empires. And that's just him personally. He matches up pretty equally with anyone in the setting who's not a god. And some of them he could definitely take.

Heck. Paul could pretty trivially organize a full evacuation of everyone on earth to a new class M planet on pretty short notice if its a thing he wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back