• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Equestrian Girls (part 10)
1st April 2012
Night

I look out across-.

"Grayven."

I smile. "Hey, you said it right."

I t-. Huh. Turning around as a pony isn't easy. Your legs get in the way. Careful… Careful…

And turned. Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer and a nervous-looking Pinkie Pie have approached me, Twilight in the lead.

"I'm.. not.. seeing any Elements of Harmony."

"We've been talking to Sunset about you."

I lean forwards. "Luna? That you?"

"'We' as in 'the Bearers'. And according to her, this… Unnecessarily confrontational way of behaving is how you handle everything."

"Sunset, have you been telling people the truth? That's a bad habit."

She glares at me. "I thought you were going to wait on this until after my ascension."

"If Celestia was actually here, yes. If they rainbow beam me tonight we can have it sorted before she gets back. Then it can all be about you because I'll be able to support you fully without having to worry about alienating her."

"But the point is-" Twilight looks at me sternly. "-you were right. When we went to rescue Rarity from the Diamond Dogs, all we thought about was getting her out. We didn't think about whether or not the Diamond Dogs had a legitimate complaint. And when we found out that they were going to let her leave we didn't question it. But I've learned that while sometimes being a good friend means supporting your friends completely, sometimes it means telling them when they're doing something wrong and helping them find a better way."

Did I just..? Teach her a friendship lesson?

"So..?"

"So we're going to visit the Diamond Dogs with the Attorney General of Equestria and we're going to negotiate a settlement properly."

"And are you going to stop off at the Tree of Harmony on the way back?"

"No. Because I don't think we're the only ones who should be learning a lesson here."

"No, you should be sending Spike to school, and should have been for years. I had wondered if perhaps Equestrian schools were just for ponies, but the legislation-."

"Yes, Spike will be.. starting school once I've talked things over with Cheerilee. I actually have been teaching-"

"Are you qualified to teach?"

"-him… No, I'm not, and that's why he's going to start school. But that wasn't what I meant. You could just have told us about any of these things. Instead-."

"You interrupted a PARTY!"

I regard Pinkie Pie's outstretched hoof for a moment. I actually did see her move, though it was very fast, and from Sunset's expression I think she missed it.

"You decided you were so important that you could just ruin everypony's day!"

"No, I decided the infectious curse I'm carrying was so important I could browbeat ponies into prioritising properly. This is objectively the most important thing happening right now."

"I disagree." She sits back with her forelegs crossed across her chest. "So do your worst, Mister, because there's nothing worse than having a party ruined."

"Twilight Sparkle. On the day-."

"Hey!" Pinkie renews her glare. "You said it was my turn!"

"This is just a bonus. Twilight, you remember when you wrote to Celestia about Nightmare Moon's forthcoming return, and she told you to get out and make some friends."

"She told me that because if I hadn't been in Ponyville I wouldn't have been able to get to the Elements."

"But what if you'd stuck with your Canterlot friends? What if you hadn't written to her about Nightmare Moon and gone to Moondancer's party instead?"

"Ah. Then-."

"Celestia prioritised saving the world over your existing friends, and she was right to do so. Now Pinkie, you-?"

"Wait…" Twilight stares at the ground as she tries to fault my reasoning. "But I needed to make friends in order for the Elements to work. But Princess Celestia didn't ask about my Canterlot friends before she sent me to Ponyville. But if I hadn't written to her, and she hadn't sent me…"

I lean forwards. "Is she going to be like that for a while?"

Pinkie nods. "Probably."

Well, if she's broken anyway

"You remember when you used the Mirror Pool to create duplicates of yourself?"

"I already said sorry to everypony about that! I did a scroll and everything!"

"Everyone?"

Pinkie regards me curiously. "And I'm supposed to say 'did I miss somepony', and get ready to say sorry to them as well, and then the actual thing you're going to use against me is something completely different and I'm not going to know what to do because I'm just thinking about saying sorry?"

"No." … "Yes." I give her a respectful frown. "You're surprisingly insightful."

"I know!" She nods confidently. "I surprise myself sometimes."

"Okay, put me off my game a little there… But given what Twilight just said about telling friends when they're in the wrong, don't you think you should have done something about all of the clones of you which Twilight brutally murdered right in front of you?"

"What?" Twilight looks up from her introspection death spiral. "Wait, you mean the Mirror Pool copies? They weren't really ponies."

"Huh. Hardcore. I hadn't realised that ponies went in for 'unpeopling'. Or that you had the authority to do it at-will. Though I suppose it does make murder far simpler, legally speaking."

Pinkie Pie starts to look uncomfortable. "Ah, Twilight? I thought they just went back into the Pool."

"No, I mean they really weren't ponies. They were just magic constructs, with no real internal life."

Twilight seems confident, but Pinkie Pie has started shaking. She knows where this is going.

"One moment."

Mother Box.

… Ping.

Because I may not be an expert in 'Friendship Studies', but I was paying attention during Sunset and Zatanna's talk on magic ethics. The sooner I do this, the less harm will be done.

Ping.

Boom!

The boom tube opens and a pony wearing a dull purple raincoat and fedora jumps through.

"Oooh, this is fun!" She takes a quick look around and then prances up to me. "Party Popper at your service, for all your celebratory needs." She pulls off her hat-

"Pinkie? Is that you?"

-then she catches sight of Twilight Sparkle.

The surviving Pinkie clone shakes in terror, eyes widening, poofy mane and tail collapsing and teeth chattering. "No, no, I don't wanna die I don't wanna die get her away from me!"

"Pin… Kie..?"

"Nononononononono…"

She collapses, tears streaming down her face and forelegs held protectively over her head.

"'No real internal life', huh?" Twilight starts hyperventilating and Pinkie's mouth drops open in horror. "Looks like she's got an internal life to me, Miss Twilight 'Serial Killer' Sparkle."

Sunset glares at me. "Grayven, what the hell?"

"Hey, someone needed to stop that madpony before she decided that anyone else wasn't a real person." I lift Pinkie 2 up-. I clean up the urine and then lift Pinkie 2 up onto my back, where she clings on for dear life. "Elements. Tomorrow. Or I pick someone else."

Last edited:
"Pinkie? Is that you?"

The surviving Pinkie clone shakes in terror, eyes widening, poofy main and tail collapsing and teeth chattering. "No, no, I don't wanna die I don't wanna die get her away from me!"

"Pin… Kie..?"

"Nononononononono…"

She collapses, tears streaming down her face and forelegs held protectively over her head.

"'No real internal life', huh?" Twilight starts hyperventilating and Pinkie's mouth drops open in horror. "Looks like she's got an internal life to me, Miss Twilight 'Serial Killer' Sparkle."
Ho-ly Fuck. This was amazing. Grayven was right, there is no other way to describe it than "Hardcore".

Hopefully this mauling of their characters isn't going to prevent them using the Elements of Harmony.

So, bets on the order for the remaining members of the Mane 6? I'm thinking Rainbow Dash, since there's only so much that Loyalty can endure attacks against the friends you're loyal to before something gives. Grayven likely has a response ready and waiting.

I look out across-.

"Grayven."

I smile. "Hey, you said it right."
Heh. I suppose he's used to people getting it wrong. A slightly longer 'ay' sound, yes?

I t-. Huh. Turning around as a pony isn't easy. Your legs get in the way. Careful… Careful…

And turned. Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer and a nervous-looking Pinkie Pie have approached me, Twilight in the lead.

"I'm.. not.. seeing any Elements of Harmony."
Well, looks like more trolling will be needed...

"We've been talking to Sunset about you."

I lean forwards. "Luna? That you?"
Does Twilight ever use the Royal We in the series at any point?

"'We' as in 'the Bearers'. And according to her, this… Unnecessarily confrontational way of behaving is how you handle everything."

"Sunset, have you been telling people the truth? That's a bad habit."
"Totally ruining the whole 'Evil Alicorn' vibe I'm trying for, you know?"

She glares at me. "I thought you were going to wait on this until after my ascension."

"If Celestia was actually here, yes. If they rainbow beam me tonight we can have it sorted before she gets back. Then it can all be about you because I'll be able to support you fully without having to worry about alienating her."
Because Celestia will almost certainly pick up on the Anti-Life fragment.

"But the point is-" Twilight looks at me sternly. "-you were right. When we went to rescue Rarity from the Diamond Dogs, all we thought about was getting her out. We didn't think about whether or not the Diamond Dogs had a legitimate complaint. And when we found out that they were going to let her leave we didn't question it. But I've learned that while sometimes being a good friend means supporting your friends completely, sometimes it means telling them when they're doing something wrong and helping them find a better way."

Did I just..? Teach her a friendship lesson?
I'm so proud of you, you got to be a villain-of-the-week! Let's try for Season Villain next!

"So..?"

"So we're going to visit the Diamond Dogs with the Attorney General of Equestria and we're going to negotiate a settlement properly."

"And are you going to stop off at the Tree of Harmony on the way back?"
Ah, Grayven, focusing on the important parts...

"No. Because I don't think we're the only ones who should be learning a lesson here."

"No, you should be sending Spike to school, and should have been for years. I had wondered if perhaps Equestrian schools were just for ponies, but the legislation-."
Wow, this is just perfectly responding to Thread Discussions...

"Yes, Spike will be.. starting school once I've talked things over with Cheerilee. I actually have been teaching-"

"Are you qualified to teach?"

"-him… No, I'm not, and that's why he's going to start school. But that wasn't what I meant. You could just have told us about any of these things. Instead-."
Would you have really listened to him? I mean, I know you're considerate of that sort of thing, but...

"You interrupted a PARTY!"

I regard Pinkie Pie's outstretched hoof for a moment. I actually did see her move, though it was very fast, and from Sunset's expression I think she missed it.
Ah, Pinkie's cartoon logic physics. Surprised you didn't link a Phoenix Wright "Objection" vid there.

"You decided you were so important that you could just ruin everypony's day!"

"No, I decided the infectious curse I'm carrying was so important I could browbeat ponies into prioritising properly. This is objectively the most important thing happening right now."
Okay, seriously, I don't think they're grasping the full extent of the situation re: Anti-life. Try drilling home the mind-bending horror of it, they've got experience with that courtesy of Discord.

"I disagree." She sits back with her forelegs crossed across her chest. "So do your worst, Mister, because there's nothing worse than having a party ruined."

"Twilight Sparkle. On the day-."

"Hey!" Pinkie renews her glare. "You said it was my turn!"
Girl's got her priorities straight.

"This is just a bonus. Twilight, you remember when you wrote to Celestia about Nightmare Moon's forthcoming return, and she told you to get out and make some friends."

"She told me that because if I hadn't been in Ponyville I wouldn't have been able to get to the Elements."
True, true. But...

"But what if you'd stuck with your Canterlot friends? What if you hadn't written to her about Nightmare Moon and gone to Moondancer's party instead?"

"Ah. Then-."
Heh, I bet Twilight had kind of forgotten about them a bit by this point anyway.

"Celestia prioritised saving the world over your existing friends, and she was right to do so. Now Pinkie, you-?"

"Wait…" Twilight stares at the ground as she tried to fault my reasoning. "But I needed to make friends in order for the Elements to work. But Princess Celestia didn't ask about my Canterlot friends before she sent me to Ponyville. But if I hadn't written to her, and she hadn't sent me…"
Dammit, Grayven, you dumped her into a logic loop. Snap her out of it, quick. Call Wheatley!

I lean forwards. "Is she going to be like that for a while?"

Pinkie nods. "Probably."

Well, if she's broken anyway
Like it isn't your fault. Then again, she's the one who kind of abandoned her Canterlot social life in favour of Ponyville...

"You remember when you used the Mirror Pool to create duplicates of yourself?"

"I already said sorry to everypony about that! I did a scroll and everything!"
Not that many people would have done more than shrug and say "Oh, it's just a Pinkie Pie thing, eh? Alrighty then..."

"Everyone?"

Pinkie regards me curiously. "And I'm supposed to say 'did I miss somepony', and get ready to say sorry to them as well, and then the actual thing you're going to use against me is something completely different and I'm not going to know what to do because I'm just thinking about saying sorry?"
Damn, she's on the ball. Sometimes.

"No." … "Yes." I give her a respectful frown. "You're surprisingly insightful."

"I know!" She nods confidently. "I surprise myself sometimes."
Heh. I'll bet she does...

"Okay, put me off my game a little there… But given what Twilight just said about telling friends when they're in the wrong, don't you think you should have done something about all of the clones of you which Twilight brutally murdered right in front of you?"

"What?" Twilight looks up from her introspection death spiral. "Wait, you mean the Mirror Pool copies? They weren't really ponies."
Oh, boy. This is going somewhere dark, isn't it?

"Huh. Hardcore. I hadn't realised that ponies went in for 'unpeopling'. Or that you had the authority to do it at-will. Though I suppose it does make murder far simple, legally speaking."

Pinkie Pie starts to look uncomfortable. "Ah, Twilight? I thought they just went back into the Pool."
"Is that what she told you?"

"No, I mean they really weren't ponies. They were just magic construct, with no real internal life."

Twilight seems confident, but Pinkie Pie has started shaking. She knows where this is going.
...:mad:Did you just break Pinkie Pie? Screw trolling, that's Evil!

"One moment."

Mother Box.

… Ping.
Language! I know he's an ass... Well, a horse, right now... But there's no call for that!

Because I may not be an expert in 'Friendship Studies', but I was paying attention during Sunset and Zatanna's talk on magic ethics. The sooner I do this, the least harm will be done.

Ping.
{Resigned sigh} {Reluctant agreement}

Boom!

The boom tube opens and a pony wearing a dull purple raincoat and fedora jumps through.

"Oooh, this is fun!" She takes a quick look around and then prances up to me. "Party Popper at your service, for all your celebratory needs." She pulls off her hat-
Well, at least she's got good color co-ordination.

"Pinkie? Is that you?"

The surviving Pinkie clone shakes in terror, eyes widening, poofy main and tail collapsing and teeth chattering. "No, no, I don't wanna die I don't wanna die get her away from me!"
Well done, Corpsman. I've never seen a panic reaction that quick.

"Pin… Kie..?"

"Nononononononono…"

I rather suspect you've overdone it, thought. Fear is one thing, catatonia is another...

Sunset glares at me. "Grayven, what the hell?"
When even the rebellious wanna-be alicorn is calling you out, you know you went too far.:sneaky:

"Hey, someone needed to stop that madpony before she decided that anyone else wasn't a real person." I lift Pinkie 2 up-. I clean up the urine and then lift Pinkie 2 up onto my back, where she clings on for dear life. "Elements. Tomorrow. Or I pick someone else."
Get that pony ice-cream, stat! Triple Chocolate ripple with minty honeycomb, for best soothing effect!

Seriously, Grayven. Seriously. You're going to have to be careful or you'll ruin their ability to use the Elements entirely. And then you're going to have to help track down new Bearers... :eek:Oh gods, is this is going to be a double-episode because of that?

Seriously, Grayven. Seriously. You're going to have to be careful or you'll ruin their ability to use the Elements entirely. And then you're going to have to help track down new Bearers... :eek:Oh gods, is this is going to be a double-episode because of that?
Considering that in order to get the power from the tree box they each had to learn the harder more complex lessons of friendship this might actually make them better at using the elements if they get through this.

After a moment's thought, the one small solace I take from this chapter is that Grayven didn't go for the lowest blow possible, because I know it occurred to him.

If he'd reminded Pinkie that bringing new life into the world strongly implies that Pinkie was complicit in the mass murder of her own children...

...it probably would have been even worse than it already is.

I vote Derpy for Bearer of the Element of Muffins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back