• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

...Indigo Paul probably got the most out of this, didn't he? I mean, he probably got Danner and/or Garrick formulae, which if not completely, then almost obsolete compound V.

Yellow got spelleaters, which should be a near game changer against his primarily magic based enemy.

BTVS guy might have gotten ensouling tattoos (which could be a bad idea, or a very good idea, giving him effectively a passive recharge ability). Also cliffnotes on BTVS the series.
Anti-green paul got the most out of this

Do you think that Teth Adam if he had a red ring could portal himself to shazam's hidden world with just the force of his anger and hate?
I'm going to assume that Jebediah was defences against that sort of thing.

Also, his life is... Taking the edge of his hate.
...Indigo Paul probably got the most out of this, didn't he? I mean, he probably got Danner and/or Garrick formulae, which if not completely, then almost obsolete compound V.
Right, except that he doesn't want to give Voight better ways of giving people superpowers.
Yellow got spelleaters, which should be a near game changer against his primarily magic based enemy.
Yellow got one spelleater, which was all the SI had spare. He also got a design he can't use, due to not having access to any magic users.
BTVS guy might have gotten ensouling tattoos (which could be a bad idea, or a very good idea, giving him effectively a passive recharge ability). Also cliffnotes on BTVS the series.
Alas, the SI and co. lacked memories precise enough to guide him, particularly now that they've killed most of the big bads.

Can the SI make mage slayers without a magic user?

If so then if the SI gave Yaul some designs of that then it could greatly help him.

Right, except that he doesn't want to give Voight better ways of giving people superpowers.
Why would Indigo be dependent on Voight in giving people super powers? In fact, with an actual competitor on the market, Voight might be forced to be a better company.

Alas, the SI and co. lacked memories precise enough to guide him, particularly now that they've killed most of the big bads.
So, he did get tattoo designs. Interesting. Also... would they stabilize Angel's curse essentially making it unbreakable?

Oh, and as to memories, there's the Gem of Amara - just the fact of its existence and general location would be a boon enough.

Can the SI make mage slayers without a magic user?

If so then if the SI gave Yaul some designs of that then it could greatly help him.
No, but the magic user doesn't need to be particularly good. Mumm-Rana could hook him up, though it wouldn't be particularly fast as the system is designed for large numbers of low calibre magicians.
Why would Indigo be dependent on Voight in giving people super powers? In fact, with an actual competitor on the market, Voight might be forced to be a better company.
Because if people learn that he can give people powers he's never going to get a moment's peace. And neither would they.
So, he did get tattoo designs. Interesting. Also... would they stabilize Angel's curse essentially making it unbreakable?
No, it would still detect his happiness. Might prevent it being reapplied, though.
Oh, and as to memories, there's the Gem of Amara - just the fact of its existence and general location would be a boon enough.
It doesn't actually help a Black Lantern all that much.

It looks like I'm ahead. Which is… Good. Mostly good for them as the files I was able to give them will prove more useful to them than theirs will be for me. But aside from a brief moment of self satisfaction at my achievements… I didn't really learn much.
You know that there must be a bigger fish but darn if you can find the sodding thing.

Also, his life is... Taking the edge of his hate.
Hate being replaced by contentment or just redirected into frustration?

Probably not as much as it could have been - he didn't exactly have his own rings with their databases with him.

He could give substandard quality lanterns to a few of the orange ones that didn't have any. Also knowledge of the setting is still somewhat useful...

Mr Zoat no one gave information to Paul about young justice (red getting a heads up about trigon too)? I was excited with the idea that Paul was going to learn about the blue bettle that was a focus character of the incoming second season and how ancient magic was used to reprogram it to not be loyal to the Reach... One would think such an important character for season two would warrant the other Paul's to share information of it with our Paul... I remember you said the bettle was in stealth mode because it had detected lanterns and that is why Paul never encountered it...

Has Lord Protector met Mumm Rana?

How is their relationship like if they have met?

Hate being replaced by contentment or just redirected into frustration?
The hate is still there, it's the relative importance of it in his life that is being reduced.
Has Lord Protector met Mumm Rana?
Not yet, though he will eventually.
Mr Zoat no one gave information to Paul about young justice (red getting a heads up about trigon too)?
I still haven't watched the entirety of Teen Titans. No other version of the SI knows anything precise enough to offer guidance, and as far as he's concerned he's dealt with it as much as he can short of personally attacking Trigon.
I was excited with the idea that Paul was going to learn about the blue beetle that was a focus character of the incoming second season and how ancient magic was used to reprogram it to not be loyal to the Reach... One would think such an important character for season two would warrant the other Paul's to share information of it with our Paul... I remember you said the beetle was in stealth mode because it had detected lanterns and that is why Paul never encountered it...
Even if he got the information, he wouldn't be willing to let a piece of Reach mind control technology attach itself to a child.

Can you explain that one?

I mean, is there a reason it wouldn't work? It would give a vampire immunity to sunlight and regeneration that wasn't tied to the Black Lantern ring... with a ring, it probably wouldn't take long to find... he could stick it on one of his toes and no one would know...

I get that the black ring sort of covers that... but redundancy is a thing.

It's also my largest issue with Green Lanterns... they never really go for extra powers, which I sort of understand because of bobble-head malware...

Until we get to your characters who don't have that problem...

Now you're saying... that having one more layer of protection isn't worth 10 to 20 minutes to grab something that would keep sunlight from being annoying?

Or making sure that other vampires can't just dig the ring up?

I mean, I get that it's not amazing compared to a power ring.. but it should be one more layer of defense.

Because if people learn that he can give people powers he's never going to get a moment's peace. And neither would they.
Which is why he should incorporate. It works for Voight. Paul has a better product. And dislike Voight. So, competing with them and pushing them out of the market makes sense.
No, it would still detect his happiness. Might prevent it being reapplied, though.
I was under the impression that the curse was actively anchoring Angel's soul to vampire's body, and that on release that anchor dissolved, rather than the release being forceful ejection of a naturally attached soul. If so, then tattoos would (after a certain amount of time it would take for tattoo-generated soul-like structure to form) work as an anchor instead of the curse, so, even if it is released, the soul would stay in place, anchored to the tattoos.
It severely reduces the charge required to maintain body cohesion and to repair the body in case of damage. It allows daytime operations without needing to use environmental shields.

Can you explain that one?

I mean, is there a reason it wouldn't work? It would give a vampire immunity to sunlight and regeneration that wasn't tied to the Black Lantern ring... with a ring, it probably wouldn't take long to find... he could stick it on one of his toes and no one would know...

I get that the black ring sort of covers that... but redundancy is a thing.
Unless the Ring of Amara works off the demon possessing the corpse, in which case it would either do nothing or destroy him. It's not as if anyone in the setting understands how the thing works. The black ring gives him regeneration and immunity to sunlight. Yes, it would cut down his power demands if it worked, but now that he's up to a minimum... There's always someone who deserves having their heart ripped out.
It's also my largest issue with Green Lanterns... they never really go for extra powers, which I sort of understand because of bobble-head malware...
I assumed that between their secret identity's job and their time Lanterning, they didn't have time to investigate an area with pretty dubious returns. I mean, of the abilities Alan Scott could have copied, there was Hour Man's steroids and Thinker's cap which needed to be plugged directly into his brain and couldn't be safely removed.
Until we get to your characters who don't have that problem...

Now you're saying... that having one more layer of protection isn't worth 10 to 20 minutes to grab something that would keep sunlight from being annoying?

Or making sure that other vampires can't just dig the ring up?

I mean, I get that it's not amazing compared to a power ring.. but it should be one more layer of defense.
And you're assuming that he could find a ring based on the description 'a ring somewhere in Sunnydale'.
Which is why he should incorporate. It works for Voight. Paul has a better product. And dislike Voight. So, competing with them and pushing them out of the market makes sense.
He would be releasing top tier super powers into a world that has no really good examples of superheroics and plenty of arseholes with powers. In that situation no government would tolerate independent people with powers. At best, he'd be nationalised by the US government the moment they found out what he could do. More pessimistic options include him and everyone he knows being killed by Voight, BAE Systems, the secret service of any country in the world, anti-supe vigilante groups... There's no way that goes well. Besides, what goal does he have that requires it?
I was under the impression that the curse was actively anchoring Angel's soul to vampire's body, and that on release that anchor dissolved, rather than the release being forceful ejection of a naturally attached soul. If so, then tattoos would (after a certain amount of time it would take for tattoo-generated soul-like structure to form) work as an anchor instead of the curse, so, even if it is released, the soul would stay in place, anchored to the tattoos.

It severely reduces the charge required to maintain body cohesion and to repair the body in case of damage. It allows daytime operations without needing to use environmental shields.
Ah, I see. I thought you were talking about the warding aspect. That might work, but it might also pick up the demon and assume that's part of his soul.

Lack of fire resistance
No, it didn't burn to death. It suffocated. Burning is rapid oxidation, and the rat lacked the ability to generate oxygen -- so it used up everything in its body.

I know that feeling. I didn't eat burgers before working in Hungry Jack's (aka Burger King in Australia), but I definitely wouldn't now.
Has BK gone downhill over the last 20 years? I worked there as a summer job in college and it actually gave me MORE respect for it. Or maybe the international franchises don't have the same standards?

Actually, thinking about it is making me crave the barbecue burger we had at the other fast-food place I worked in college...

nless the Ring of Amara works off the demon possessing the corpse, in which case it would either do nothing or destroy him.

If you find it, you can have a magic user study it. Maybe it's worth using, maybe it's not. But at least you checked it off the list. Also why the fuck would it do anything if it worked on a demon, it didn't just randomly kill people that put it on... so why would it kill the Paul like zombie? Run some tests, have Giles call his aunts and take a look see... the other side of the coin is, maybe it works and you have a second line of defense. The character wouldn't know which side the ring would fall on until he gets it.

(Also time loops like what happened in the Buffy show are a thing... so you can with the help of a friendly magic user... TOTALLY TEST IT! Without risking your life...)

Hour Man's steroids and Thinker's cap which needed to be plugged directly into his brain and couldn't be safely removed.

There were other heroes/villains and Alan in this is already partially something else... so more the rest of the lanterns. But okay... let's go with the Thinker's cap. Ring scan the tech, see if you can get something that doesn't need to be plugged in. It might be worth handing the design off to a friend or it might not be..

And you're assuming that he could find a ring based on the description 'a ring somewhere in Sunnydale'.

No, I'm not assuming he can find a ring based off it's a ring... It's in a vault, underground with a lot of gold... so yes, I think a fucking Power Ring can scan for that... (considering your were using a Power Ring to mine asteroids which would require scanning at 100's or thousands of miles, through all sorts of crap...) if you find another vault with gold... you loot it and keep looking. So yeah, I think you can find it. It's also in the main town area based on the collapsed sections of road. I mean, boosting recall shouldn't be out of the question for Paul, thus... hey, it's underground in a vault with gold... something that would be useful for him anyways...

So... yeah, I don't really understand a reason not to look considering you'd just have the ring make a map and ask yourself, is this large stash of gold in the bank... no, okay, let's check it out. It's an action that also gets you gold and potentially other things, it's not a oh woe is me, I spent months or years looking for this and it didn't pay off perfectly...

This is a hey, I spent a few hours, maybe a few days and I got a magical item that can be studied and possibly replicated for use by Angel if you can't use it yourself. Or maybe you can figure out how to create rings that stop sunburn... that's still worth a couple of hours or days when it also comes with vault filled with gold.

If you find it, you can have a magic user study it. Maybe it's worth using, maybe it's not. But at least you checked it off the list. Also why the fuck would it do anything if it worked on a demon, it didn't just randomly kill people that put it on... so why would it kill the Paul like zombie? Run some tests, have Giles call his aunts and take a look see... the other side of the coin is, maybe it works and you have a second line of defense. The character wouldn't know which side the ring would fall on until he gets it.
The Buffyverse has precisely no thaumaturgists. And very few people interested in making a supervampire more super.
(Also time loops like what happened in the Buffy show are a thing... so you can with the help of a friendly magic user... TOTALLY TEST IT! Without risking your life...)
Certainly it's possible. But not safely or reliably.
There were other heroes/villains and Alan in this is already partially something else... so more the rest of the lanterns. But okay... let's go with the Thinker's cap. Ring scan the tech, see if you can get something that doesn't need to be plugged in. It might be worth handing the design off to a friend or it might not be.
Alan couldn't really do that, and Ted is working on a safe version. Though if you've got a ring, taking the time out to learn how to use it well enough to do things ring can't and to the point where is doesn't distract you in combat would be a bit difficult.
No, I'm not assuming he can find a ring based off it's a ring... It's in a vault, underground with a lot of gold... so yes, I think a fucking Power Ring can scan for that... (considering your were using a Power Ring to mine asteroids which would require scanning at 100's or thousands of miles, through all sorts of crap...) if you find another vault with gold... you loot it and keep looking. So yeah, I think you can find it. It's also in the main town area based on the collapsed sections of road. I mean, boosting recall shouldn't be out of the question for Paul, thus... hey, it's underground in a vault with gold... something that would be useful for him anyways...

So... yeah, I don't really understand a reason not to look considering you'd just have the ring make a map and ask yourself, is this large stash of gold in the bank... no, okay, let's check it out. It's an action that also gets you gold and potentially other things, it's not a oh woe is me, I spent months or years looking for this and it didn't pay off perfectly...

This is a hey, I spent a few hours, maybe a few days and I got a magical item that can be studied and possibly replicated for use by Angel if you can't use it yourself. Or maybe you can figure out how to create rings that stop sunburn... that's still worth a couple of hours or days when it also comes with vault filled with gold.
Finding 'gold' is easy. Finding 'gold in a shape something like this, but it might not be gold, and we don't know exactly where it is' would give a huge number of returns that would have to be checked manually.

Wonder if the hyper-adaptive properties of the Meta-gene itself might provide the answer as to the problems that Compound V apparently has....
A lot of people will die from such an experiment until you luckily run into a person with compatible meta-gene, and even then, they are likelier to kill you.

Ah got it. Does it work often, though? Like, if I put a thousand people with dormant metagene into a pool of acid, how many would survive?

In the comics, 12% were theorized to have a latent metagene.

The Dominators kidnapped 50 and tried to kill them all. 6 people survived and gained superpowers, forming the Blasters. Snapper Carr was a member, he gained teleportation.

The comics just ignored that really wasn't a great sample size.....

The Reach abductees would be the YJ equivalent, although the membership is completely different.

The distribution might be more or less on different Earths, of course.

From what I read about Season 3, it doesn't sound like the Light can just mass produce supers, so it's probably safe to say that the ratio is lower than 12% on Earth-16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back