• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I'm unsure where 'magic' comes into it...

Best as I can tell from reading the various Kelly's Eye web bits the Eyes are (probably) alien, and therefore alien tech, not magic. This means they'll likely work off Earth, which is a relevant issue. And, makes Evil OL even more dangerous.

It could be an alien magic artifact, or a combination of alien tech and magic.

Magic and magical artefacts may be able to work away from a magic rich planet, just not that easily.

The Eye may not be able to be used in deep space, but if its on a planet, even a magically weak one, it could be used.

It could be an alien magic artifact, or a combination of alien tech and magic.

Magic and magical artefacts may be able to work away from a magic rich planet, just not that easily.

The Eye may not be able to be used in deep space, but if its on a planet, even a magically weak one, it could be used.
Hmm. Interesting idea... So, maybe it was an alien magic artefact that was reasonably tolerable until it got to Earth, where it became hideously dangerous?

Might be a good reason why some aliens have a really hard time with Earth...

Hmm. Interesting idea... So, maybe it was an alien magic artefact that was reasonably tolerable until it got to Earth, where it became hideously dangerous?

Might be a good reason why some aliens have a really hard time with Earth...

What makes you think it wasn't a corruptive and evil thing even before it got to Earth?

Granted from the context of this story I think that Adoms old comrade, Tezumak, had an armor made from alien tech that was magically altered by Aztec, or whatever South American society he came from, sorcerers to be powered by child sacrifices, so you may not be completely wrong.

The two Eyes could have been used as a form of prison rehabilitation devices. The Left one allowing the wearer to alter the mindset of violent criminals to not be violent anymore and the Right one allowed them to not be harmed by the prisoners if they escaped. Then the Left one was either damaged and became corrupt, or was made to be corruptive to its user, maybe after winding up on Earth.

it could also be reposted to AO3 with the alternate paths being in separate stories of the same series
Zoat mentioned this but I'll go into a bit more detail: That would work if the two storylines were completely independent, but they're not. Their timelines tick along in sync with each other and while events in one don't necessarily impact the other the common baseline of events shared between them doesn't get explained twice. If you were to just read Renegade, or if you were to read it separately instead of woven together, you'd be missing out on a lot of the timeline.

And considering how often there are one-shots from other perspectives, it would rather suck to try to keep up with a bunch of different tracks and pay enough attention to know to look for more when a new one-shot is posted. Threadmarks make a good balance between following along and re-reading.

Good armour does not merely cover the wearer's shoulders, forearms and... Hips?
The Thanagarians make good use of that design by flying towards opponents headfirst, protecting the exposed areas while minimizing cross-section.

Of course... that, y'know... requires a helmet...

Best as I can tell from reading the various Kelly's Eye web bits the Eyes are (probably) alien, and therefore alien tech, not magic. This means they'll likely work off Earth, which is a relevant issue. And, makes Evil OL even more dangerous.

But, long-running boy's (adventure) comic stories often had multiple writers, who may or may not be using a common 'bible' - I'll bet you some of them wrote stuff under serious time pressure, possibly while half-asleep and/or half-drunk. :)

Reading about the comics, some writers were just really pleased to get to write stuff that wasn't (WW2) war stories or football (soccer)... The girl's comics were even worse... (Some might have read the comics their brother got. :) )

No, the mistake was mine, I was under the impression the Eyes were magic, given their effects.

Except it was that SI that said that was how it worked. We've seen from the people the SI and Graven assimilated that that's not really accurate. We know from the comics that assimilation explicitly does not release the soul so it very much isn't murder. This is like getting someone drunk / roofieing them and then saying since they seemed into it, it's not rape.
Actually we know from the comics that Assimilation doesn't effect the soul and is basically just making a copy of the person.

It's why Necron could bring back all of Larfleeze's assimilation victims.

Actually we know from the comics that Assimilation doesn't effect the soul and is basically just making a copy of the person.

It's why Necron could bring back all of Larfleeze's assimilation victims.

Zoat may have changed it so that the assimilation shown in go's ring do affect the soul.

Where did you get the idea that the League and Diana were assimilated? Tangseid use a ritual combining magic and the Orange light to fully rewire their desires.

Assimilation is a wholly different process, in terms of results, method and context.
That's a good point, but it actually only helps my case because that's even less like murder than assimilation is.

That's a good point, but it actually only helps my case because that's even less like murder than assimilation is.

I define murder as the loss of identity or loss of continuity of existence (disregarding sleep and the like), just as much as the physical death itself. Think of it this way. You die. Dr Frankenstein uses his pseudo-scientific knowledge to bring you back to life with your body wholly intact, but like Frankenstein's Monster, you don't have any memories of your past life, just like the monster didn't, despite clearly having an adult's brain (but not knowledge or mental state).

Is it still murder? Absolutely. In that case, is the soul really so integral to the definition of murder? The situation described above is pretty similar to what happened in the snippet, except it's the soul and body being carried over, instead of just the body.

I define murder as the loss of identity or loss of continuity of existence (disregarding sleep and the like), just as much as the physical death itself. Think of it this way. You die. Dr Frankenstein uses his pseudo-scientific knowledge to bring you back to life with your body wholly intact, but like Frankenstein's Monster, you don't have any memories of your past life, just like the monster didn't, despite clearly having an adult's brain (but not knowledge or mental state).

Is it still murder? Absolutely. In that case, is the soul really so integral to the definition of murder? The situation described above is pretty similar to what happened in the snippet, except it's the soul and body being carried over, instead of just the body.
Also the memories are carried over. Everything is carried over except motives. When Satanus pumped Mamon into the SI did he murder him?

Also the memories are carried over. Everything is carried over except motives. When Satanus pumped Mamon into the SI did he murder him?

Attempted yes. He didn't SUCCEED, but he did attempt. Considering the way their world works, and the nature of what the soul trap actually WAS it was actually much more heinous. Destroy someone's body in this universe, they hit an afterlife, often with faculties intact, and go on.

As that was direct soul manipulation, had he succeeded completely Paul would've been more gone than most character deaths.

"Is there anything they want from us?"

"You can ask, but I doubt it. They're rebuilding and don't want to be dependent on aliens, but they're rebuilding back up to a higher level of technology than we have.

I feel like he missed the obvious of trading in media. Koriand'r already liked Harvest Moon.

Think that's more the waist or kidney area on a human, but who knows what the vital areas of a Tamaranian are? Maybe their brains are in their shoulders? That'd frankly make a lot more sense than putting them in an external sensory appendage like those Earthian monkeys; what evolutionary mistake thought that was a good idea?

God.
What, you never wondered why it took God five days to make Earth and only a day for the rest of the universe? God was baked.

*Coughs in recurrent laryngeal nerve*

I feel like he missed the obvious of trading in media. Koriand'r already liked Harvest Moon.

He may not know whether the average Tamaranean citizen would like Earth media.

Koriand'r is just one individual after all, so she isn't a perfect indicator on what your average Tamaranean would like.

Tangseid did something to brainwash the league, until we know what that is we can't be sure why WW has a thing for him, it could be unrelated or accidental for all we know, so speculation is pretty meaningless.

Tangseid did something to brainwash the league, until we know what that is we can't be sure why WW has a thing for him, it could be unrelated or accidental for all we know, so speculation is pretty meaningless.
Less than 150 likes but people are still talking about it. I think that's a failcess. Or perhaps a Sucure.
Intentional. When a couple of his early brainwashing subjects came onto him, he realised the unintended effect of making them respond to him favourably. When he finally got Diana he decided that if he was going to erase her anyway he might as well make her interested.

Less than 150 likes but people are still talking about it. I think that's a failcess. Or perhaps a Sucure.
Hitting a 'Like' button is a considerably cheaper effort compared to actually posting a message?

So, I'd call it a 'resounding success'.

IMNAAHO.

And someone actually noticed it. A bit disproportionate, isn't it? Four Green Lanterns from the same planet (two Honour Guard, two Sector Lanterns) plus OL.
Technically, assuming that (younger, non-human I forget her name, Ari?) is still on Earth. There are currently; Five Green, One Orange, One Blue (Alan Scott is a member of the Justice League IIRC) and Two Violet (sapphire) (Is Earth -14 Carol 'whatshername' still around trying to get the Zamoranian's to play nice?)

So that is 9 Lanterns by my count. Unless I am missing one of the new Green Lanterns that might pop-up from "DC Superhero Girls". I really would like to see OL explain some things about law enforcement to Jessica Cruz before she gets someone killed by being a complete pacifist. (I don't disagree with her completely, but she keeps saying "violence is never the answer" in stupid situations. Violence should be the final resort, when all else has failed. But it is occasionally the answer. /rant *sigh* I do like her as a character in general, she is a bit too....... hippy sometimes.)

The eye being an alien artifact is from his 2000AD incarnation, in which it had symbiotically bonded to him like a Reach Scarab.

Zoat was inspired by the Wildstorm's (a DC imprint) Albion, although he didn't actually include that storyline. In Albion, the British government imprisoned all the supers and other wierdos from the comics and then unpersoned them, pretending like they had never existed like ala Men in Black. In a setting in which supers and other wierdos are in fact a worldwide phenomenon, that wouldn't make sense.

So ironically, Zoat's demon summoning baby eating goat fucker government was better to the native supers than the British government in Albion.

There's also a version of Tim Kelly in Rebellion's Vigilant, in which Cursitor Doom formed a superhero team including Kelly, Cat girl, Robot Archie, Steel Claw, and Tri-Man, but all of them but Doom died saving the world from demonic invasion. Kelly threw his eye into the demonic portal, the result was quite explosive....

Zoat may have changed it so that the assimilation shown in go's ring do affect the soul.

Zoat didn't need to change it, because in the comics it's Nekron's Black Lanterns who normally have shit all to do with souls.

Deadman was still floating around as his corpse was driven by a black lantern ring.

Cyrus Gold's soul was in Hell while Solomon Grundy's corpse was being driven by a Black Lantern ring.

Black Lantern Spectre was an exception, not the rule.

Last edited:
The eye being an alien artifact is from his 2000AD incarnation, in which it had symbiotically bonded to him like a Reach Scarab.
I may be wrong, but, I thought there was an implication in earlier comics that it was alien? I'd not trust 2000AD's version of anything after what they did to Dan Dare, to 'bring him up to date'.

I still remember the fun of being given a (ancient, second-hand) Dan Dare annual, because, "You're into that science fiction stuff, aren't you?"... And, a copy of the "Eagle Book of Rockets and Space Travel" (1961 version).

As for 'Albion', yes, it was pretty, but I was less than happy about some parts of the story. I almost preferred the Marvel throw-away version of the UK heroes, in the Captain Britain stuff, where they just appeared to die...

I did like Mr Zoat's fight of the SI with the UK heroes...

Technically, assuming that (younger, non-human I forget her name, Ari?) is still on Earth. There are currently; Five Green, One Orange, One Blue (Alan Scott is a member of the Justice League IIRC) and Two Violet (sapphire) (Is Earth -14 Carol 'whatshername' still around trying to get the Zamoranian's to play nice?)
I was counting officially sanctioned Humans, mostly. Greens: Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, and John Stewart, plus the new girl, Savenlovich. (No Kyle yet, and Simon Baz or Jessica Cruz are a long way off, if at all.) OL for the Orange Lanterns.
Alan was never an offical Green Lantern, and could probably qualify as Illustres of the Blue corps if it ever gets started, especially if Saint Walker never gets recruited. And Earth-16's Carol Ferris was never a formal Lantern, merely someone attuned to a Star Sapphire...
As for off-worlders (including Earth -14 Carol), none of them are permanently on assignment to Earth. Arisia is visiting, Koriand'r is visiting, Ghia'ta is visiting... Lots of visiting space babes, really.
(Way too many edits there, methinks. wow)

So that is 9 Lanterns by my count. Unless I am missing one of the new Green Lanterns that might pop-up from "DC Superhero Girls". I really would like to see OL explain some things about law enforcement to Jessica Cruz before she gets someone killed by being a complete pacifist. (I don't disagree with her completely, but she keeps saying "violence is never the answer" in stupid situations. Violence should be the final resort, when all else has failed. But it is occasionally the answer. /rant *sigh* I do like her as a character in general, she is a bit too....... hippy sometimes.)
Jessica comes from the New 52 era mostly, part of the outcome of one of the later crossovers (Forever Evil or Wrath of the First Lantern?) I presume her SHG portrayal is a bit of a flanderisation... So unless someone writes an Omake of an OL in the DC Superhero Girls verse (in a mentor role perhaps?), we're unlikely to see her.

Jessica comes from the New 52 era mostly, part of the outcome of one of the later crossovers (Forever Evil or Wrath of the First Lantern?) I presume her SHG portrayal is a bit of a flanderisation... So unless someone writes an Omake of an OL in the DC Superhero Girls verse (in a mentor role perhaps?), we're unlikely to see her.
That would be a hilarious Omake. Seeing Paul forced to go back to High School would be interesting.

I admit, I have not kept up on the "New 52" era. I started to get burned out on DC's main series, the writing bounces all over the place. (even worse than my writing style)

That would be a hilarious Omake. Seeing Paul forced to go back to High School would be interesting.

So instead of having just one teenage girl, Zatanna, attracted to him, he'd have at least dozens, possibly hundreds, attracted to him.

Keep in mind that is completely non-canon since they didn't own the rights to the character.

Even when people have owned the rights to a comic character they sometimes tended to ignore their Canon characteristics for their own interpretation.

Last edited:
Hey Zoat does Ghia'ta look more like her GL Animated series self rather than an average comic Zamaron?

Specifically does she look like this:

Instead of this:

3854763-aga%27po08.jpg

Last edited:

Jessica might exist in this setting, but she'll never get a green power ring. The whole reason she got one in the comics is that her version of Volthoom wanted someone completely weak-willed so he could dominate them. While she eventually found her courage, she's still not exactly strong willed and the SI would insist on the Volthoom ring either being destroyed or at least handed over to a Maltusian group.
Hey Zoat does Ghia'ta look more like her GL Animated series self rather than an average comic Zamaron?

Specifically does she look like this:

Instead of this:

3854763-aga%27po08.jpg
Top one. She's half korugari.

Jessica might exist in this setting, but she'll never get a green power ring. The whole reason she got one in the comics is that her version of Volthoom wanted someone completely weak-willed so he could dominate them. While she eventually found her courage, she's still not exactly strong willed and the SI would insist on the Volthoom ring either being destroyed or at least handed over to a Maltusian group.
The Animated Jessica Cruz never encountered the Ring of Volthoom and was naturally chosen by a Green Lantern ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back