• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I mean... Technically speaking he probably shouldn't be able to assimilate at all unless he was as far gone as Larfleeze...

Why would he need to be as insane as Larfleeze to assimilate things, that makes no sense?

Provide evidence/citation/link that an orange ring user needs to be as insane as Larfleeze to assimilate people.

Nope, just the pain of boring invincible hero's.

See, that's the thing about having your character win all the time, people get bored and start actively wanting them to lose.

We all know you enjoy the pain of everyone around you, not just "boring invincible heroes".

It's also difficult to have a character lose most fights when they have the most powerful tool of the universe and the author doesn't want to give the bad guys the chance to win against them like they may have done in the comics when their victory makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The bad guys in the comics don't tend to win because they're somehow stronger than the good guys, but because the author for some reason decided to make them win even if it doesn't make much sense.

Zoat simply removed that part and made sure that if the bad guys do win in a straight up fight it's because they are simply stronger than the good guy.

That is difficult because Paul has one of the most powerful tools in the universe on his hand and has no hesitation in using it and thinking more tactically than other heroes when it comes to fights.

When Paul does lose something it's because he was outsmarted, like when Truggs was able to steal one of those dials and Paul had no idea that he was even in town.

Couldn't OL just transition them through a hole? If a small person (who is this Peter anyway?) can move through it a beam of orange light should have no problem?

The place may be warded to prevent teleportation and the Honden may be unsafe for anyone but Paul.

Peter is a member of one of the villages the Sheeda attacked.

He went as their guide to the leftovers of Melmoths presence.

The worms appear unaffected. The two new arrivals lunge for Peter, forcing me to pull him towards the top of the room to dodge their mandibles. The two original worms spray acid in a wide arc, splattering Leonid's construct armour-

Hunger.

-which holds, which I'm pleased about. I form a construct railgun with the same rune work, load crumblers, point it at the door and fire. The hit causes a hole about forty centimetres across, which Peter might be able to squeeze through but is far too narrow for the rest of us. I reload and fire again as Leonid literally chances his arm by punching a lunging worm. It gets slammed back into the now-gelatinous floor with a quiet splat, Leonid jerking his fist back as the construct gauntlet gives up the ghost.
I wonder if Canis actually has a point in thinking of Paul as a New God, considering the how he uses the orange light the way New Gods would use their godspeech.

The place may be warded to prevent teleportation and the Honden may be unsafe for anyone but Paul.

I said 'transition' not 'teleportation'. He already used transition to move people around countless times with no harm to them. He even had Hinon double check it. Trip through the Honden is only necessary if he wants to do that 'Instant Transmission' thing.

Also, how is it that every location they fight in these days has Dimension Lock on it? I know tactical teleportation made things too easy but there's such thing as going too much in the other direction. OL's struggles are starting to get more than a bit contrieved. It's like watching your ultra badass PC reduced to lvl 1 in cutscenes.

I wonder if Canis actually has a point in thinking of Paul as a New God, considering the how he uses the orange light the way New Gods would use their godspeech.
I think Mr Zoat has confirmed that he basically is. It's just that he is becoming one in a different way, so he is not fully aware of what he can do. I think he is at least aware of Godspeech now, even if he can't consciously use it.

Nope, just the pain of boring invincible hero's.

See, that's the thing about having your character win all the time, people get bored and start actively wanting them to lose.
no its just you. please dont lump us in with your cynical self. i thoroughly enjoy this story.

I said 'transition' not 'teleportation'. He already used transition to move people around countless times with no harm to them. He even had Hinon double check it. Trip through the Honden is only necessary if he wants to do that 'Instant Transmission' thing.

Also, how is it that every location they fight in these days has Dimension Lock on it? I know tactical teleportation made things too easy but there's such thing as going too much in the other direction. OL's struggles are starting to get more than a bit contrieved. It's like watching your ultra badass PC reduced to lvl 1 in cutscenes.

Teleportation or transition, it doesn't matter, the place may just be warded to prevent anyone from leaving it in a manner that isn't walking out of it.

I don't think he used transitioning when they went inside this place, and even if he did that was before Melmoth showed up, and he may have activated the defences on the place when he did.

Yes Paul can move people safely using transition, but if there are wards around that may be a different matter.

In order to travel through the Honden they have to be either very powerful, like a Maltusian, or have magical experience in traveling through arcane elemental realms, like those Venturian sorcerers.

If they aren't powerful or experienced sorcerers then they could either die or go insane.

The only people who may be able to travel through there aside from OL are Diana, Dr Mist, Canis and possibly Abednego, due to their power or experience with magic and magic transportation.

And not everyplace they fight in has a dimensional lock in it these days. but if the place is magical then chances are high that it will have some protections against teleportation.

Paul does use tactical teleportation, like when he fought the Justice Underground.

Well Paul is a metaphysically powerful being, like a New God, so it isn't that far off.

I think Mr Zoat has confirmed that he basically is. It's just that he is becoming one in a different way, so he is not fully aware of what he can do. I think he is at least aware of Godspeech now, even if he can't consciously use it.

He may actually use it in a way.

What Is Given Belongs To The Recipient!

I forgot he can use it too. I wish Paul would do so more, or get some training from Mister Miracle and Canis. I'm sure either would be happy to give out pointers.

Yeah they may be able to help.

Though his unusual nature may make it difficult.

Actually I would suspect that Paul's transformation is more along the lines of what happened to Alan, the Maltusians, and Larfleeze, becoming a hybrid of flesh and blood and elemental.

Which is not the same thing, since Gravy was unable to turn Alan into a New God.

Or at least, to me, it makes no sense to say that being in the process of turning into a New God means you can't be turned into a New God.

While becoming a human guardian and becoming a New God can have similarities (New God Justice Lord Stewart says hi), similar and the same are two different things. Neither bats nor bees are birds, after all.

Like how Zoat compared X'Hal's tranformation to New God apotheosis. New god apotheosis involves the spiritual process of absorbing magic, X'Hal's transformation was a bio-physical absorption of light until she became an energy being. Similar, yes, the same, far far far away from being the same.

Which is not the same thing, since Gravy was unable to turn Alan into a New God.

Or at least, to me, it makes no sense to say that being in the process of turning into a New God means you can't be turned into a New God.

While becoming a human guardian and becoming a New God can have similarities (New God Justice Lord Stewart says hi), similar and the same are two different things. Neither bats nor bees are birds, after all.

Speaking of, why did Gravy have trouble turning Alan into a New God? As you said he could and did turn Justice Lord Stewart into one and he had pretty similar er 'spiritual issue' to Alan's (they were both so marinated in Green their metaphysique started mutating into something Guardian-like). So why did one work but not the other?

"Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some Holy Hand Grenades, don't you think?" - OL, probably

Couldn't OL just transition them through a hole? If a small person (who is this Peter anyway?) can move through it a beam of orange light should have no problem?
Also, his whole step out/step in ability to transport.

Although I assume that particular ability is being sealed so that he doesn't risk mutating the other travelers by exposing them to pure avarice.

Speaking of, why did Gravy have trouble turning Alan into a New God? As you said he could and did turn Justice Lord Stewart into one and he had pretty similar er 'spiritual issue' to Alan's (they were both so marinated in Green their metaphysique started mutating into something Guardian-like). So why did one work but not the other?

Maybe because Alan was exposed to green light for decades, and John just had it in his system for a few years at most, but I'm just guessing.

Maybe because Alan was exposed to green light for decades, and John just had it in his system for a few years at most, but I'm just guessing.

Stewart's new god power was the Glow because he had channeled all the energy of the Central Power Battery that one time while fighting the Manhunters.

Essentially while Alan's soul was marinated over decades, Stewart's soul had trace elements.

Normal green lantern usage does not affect the soul, Alan's ring is defective, it leaks.

I assume that Zoat is going with the idea that all the energy of the Central Power Battery exceeds intended usage, so Stewart got a charge that was then assimilated into his soul.

No accelerated perception? I could understand him being unable to do certain things or not thinking of them at the time, but speeding his brain up has been a basic opening move for him during serious throwdowns for a while now.

No accelerated perception? I could understand him being unable to do certain things or not thinking of them at the time, but speeding his brain up has been a basic opening move for him during serious throwdowns for a while now.

Mr Smiley thought it was making OL's fights boring and asked him nicely not to use it.

Yes, that's why the words in the first few lines are grammatically odd.

Teleportation or transition, it doesn't matter, the place may just be warded to prevent anyone from leaving it in a manner that isn't walking out of it.
He uses transition later in the scene
Wouldn't accelerated perception look the exact opposite (bullet time, having more time to think the situation through, analysis, etc.)?
We're seeing things from his point of view not from an outside perspective.
Eh, this makes for somewhat more interesting prose. And he could be rushed even with his perception sped up.

We all know you enjoy the pain of everyone around you, not just "boring invincible heroes".
You seem to be wrong about things a statistically significant portion of the time.

It's also difficult to have a character lose most fights when they have the most powerful tool of the universe and the author doesn't want to give the bad guys the chance to win against them like they may have done in the comics when their victory makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The bad guys in the comics don't tend to win because they're somehow stronger than the good guys, but because the author for some reason decided to make them win even if it doesn't make much sense.

Zoat simply removed that part and made sure that if the bad guys do win in a straight up fight it's because they are simply stronger than the good guy.

That is difficult because Paul has one of the most powerful tools in the universe on his hand and has no hesitation in using it and thinking more tactically than other heroes when it comes to fights.

When Paul does lose something it's because he was outsmarted, like when Truggs was able to steal one of those dials and Paul had no idea that he was even in town.
Um no, in this case it's because the author Dues Ex Machina's it, inventing new abilities without long term consideration that turn out to be so utterly broken they make balancing things impossible.

Also Power Rings aren't the most powerful tool in the universe, that award goes to the Mobius Chair. And before you try to start, they also aren't the second or third most powerful.

Rule 1 - Play Nice
You seem to be wrong about things a statistically significant portion of the time.

Is this the your inner voice of reason, reaching out to you from whatever inner pit of stupidity you've buried it into, trying to tell you to actually grow as a person, but you're trying to use its advice to insult me?

My jumped up elemental I think you have some serious issues.

This might actually be in your favor, since if you really have some kind of disorder people might actually pity you.

On the other hand you might not have a disorder and are just an asshole, in which case, Fuck You, you little pathetic piece of shit.

Um no, in this case it's because the author Dues Ex Machina's it, inventing new abilities without long term consideration that turn out to be so utterly broken they make balancing things impossible.

You do realize power rings have been shown as being able to perform some seriously impressive feats in the comics?

And aside from power rings comic characters have also been shown as having some impressive powers.

The problem with this is that comic writers have often times chosen to forget these abilities that the characters have and have had them lose in some fairly stupid ways, like having Hal lose to Crazy Steve and poor abused victim Dick by having them paint themselves in yellow paint, or that time a bunch of fairly pathetic metahuman rejects managed to beat up Kyle Rayner.

Zoat simply decided to not do this and have his character actually use his abilities to their fullest extent and not suddenly forget about them just to have some ordinary guy beat his character up to prove some bullshit about how human spirit is stronger than even a device forged by godlike beings.

I mean seriously, do you even comprehend how stupid it would be for Zoat to make it so that a low level metahuman like the Hitman can beat his character, who is wielding a power ring, a device that has been shown in the comics as being able to defeat planet ending threats?

That was perhaps the stupidest thing that Garth Ennis has ever written, and that's an accomplishment given his utterly shitty work that relies more on things like sheer disgust to keep readers invested, rather than actual interesting characters or storylines.

Some of his stories in Hellblazer were enjoyable, but after that it was just a bunch of disgusting crap.

Also Power Rings aren't the most powerful tool in the universe, that award goes to the Mobius Chair. And before you try to start, they also aren't the second or third most powerful.

While I'll admit the Mobius Chair is impressive, the power rings are pretty much in the top five category of most powerful tools in the comics, definitely in the second or third place.

They are capable of allowing someone to go toe to toe with gods and actually win, they are capable of allowing travel through space and grant protections from its dangers, they allow communication between different races, they allow for things like stellar engineering, they can survive an event that rewrites reality, they allow someone to fix entire cities in a short time, they are connected to godlike beings, etc.

Truly power rings are one of the most powerful and versatile tools in the universe.

If you have a problem with my statement then provide a list of every single tool in the DC comic universe that has all these characteristics and why you think they are better than a power ring.

If you don't want to provide a list then just fuck off and don't try to say anything, since you have about as much chance of convincing me you are right as you have of convincing me that Donald Trumps hair is natural and not the skinned hide of a diseased gerbil.

Just to clarify I don't think it's natural and believe it is a skinned gerbils hide.

I wanted to to be sure to say this since I have a feeling you're the type of person that tries to model themselves after that idiotic lunatic and may think his hair is made by the gods themselves.

Last edited:
Is this the your inner voice of reason, reaching out to you from whatever inner pit of stupidity you've buried it into, trying to tell you to actually grow as a person, but you're trying to use its advice to insult me?

My jumped up elemental I think you have some serious issues.

This might actually be in your favor, since if you really have some kind of disorder people might actually pity you.

On the other hand you might not have a disorder and are just an asshole, in which case, Fuck You, you little pathetic piece of shit.
I get that you're kind of new to the site, but there's a thread for that sort of thing, and this isn't it.

I get that you're kind of new to the site, but there's a thread for that sort of thing, and this isn't it.

I get that you find interacting with other people to be difficult, likely because most probably can't stand you, but just to be clear I was trying to insult you in a place where you can see my insult.

And why don't you use that thread for all your half baked ideas and posts, they'll certainly fit right in.

Yes, that's why the words in the first few lines are grammatically odd.
could you not do that. its jarring to read. also why did you shift your writing to be so brief. there used to be more exposition in earlier arcs. not all of us have an encyclopedic knowledge of dc.

EDIT: although i suppose getting out 1k words a day doesnt leave a lot of time for exposition and explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back