• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Eh, would probably have been more practical to just threaten to drop big rocks on the palace until they nut up and shoot you with the friendship cannon. Being a legal annoyance isn't really the same as 'being evil'

It was probably the first time in a while she got an injury that required her to stay in the hospital for days.

Still, since this is before she got a spot in the Wonderbolt reserves, is still true she is overworked and without real advancement prospects. And let's not forget how useless and jerkasses the Wonderbolts were until later seasons.

Ohhh that's how Grayven is gonna get Rainbow Dash. He is not gonna sue her, he is gonna show everyone how useless and corrupt the Wonderbolts are.

After all going legally after an overworked school drop out is not only lame but would be outright cruel.

But proving that Rainbow Dash heroes are both corrupted and incompetent? Oh My!
While some of that is technically true, nothing like that happens until the next episode.

While some of that is technically true, nothing like that happens until the next episode.

There is also the fact Rainbow Dash is the poorest of the mane six. Yes she has a cloud house but she made it herself and the place barely has any space inside it.

Twilight Sparkle is a princess.

Pinkie Pie earns enough money to have storages of many things all around Ponyville. Heck the worth of the extra caches of supplies alone is worth more than she would earn if she owned the bakery she works at.

Applejack and her family own the most successful farm in the area, they are just a bit stingy expending money. That makes sense since they are next to the Everfree forest and so they need that money for emergencies.

Fluttershy is the only vet in the area and does have her own house. Said house is bigger than the one Rainbow Dash has. Heck if she removed the animals at least five more people could live there comfortably.

And Rarity fashions got really popular since season one. Heck she is the one that socially and monetary climbed the fastest. She went from a town dressmaker to make fashion that's popular all over the country.

Ah weird pony laws. Where on a specific day in a specific place, you can trade away another pony for their labor without their consent for (at the time) unknown amounts of time. The only thing stopping such a trade would be if the one who accepted the trade to call it off.

EDIT:
Fluttershy is the only vet in the area
Actually, this is proven untrue. There is an actual vet inside Ponyville proper.

Ah weird pony laws. Where on a specific day in a specific place, you can trade away another pony for their labor without their consent for (at the time) unknown amounts of time. The only thing stopping such a trade would be if the one who accepted the trade to call it off.

EDIT:

Actually, this is proven untrue. There is an actual vet inside Ponyville proper.
I always assumed fluttershys job was the equivalent of a pet shop owner and a forest ranger

I understand that Grayven is having a fun time in Equestria partially because he was a fan before becoming God of Conquest however he is being exceptionally irresponsible here. Not only is he essentially bullying children (which is the only way I can see the protagonists of MLP assuming they are close to canon) who understand neither the law nor complex emotional turmoil but still wield powerful mind-altering magics and WMDs. This is the reason most people are bringing up that he's being a bigger dongus than usual I think. But he is also spending a huge amount of time away from his business and family to essentially playfully deconstruct this childish universe. I can understand the desire to do so after all these stupid horses have such a bucolic existence despite their obvious incompetence that a quick dose of competent villainy would be very cathartic.

However if Grayven spends one day in Equestria his daughter won't see him for more than 2 weeks. So he is being quite irresponsible, to say nothing of the chaos that can befall DC in 2 weeks of time, not that that is his responsibility mind but he does have other commitments that could be endangered and are his responsibility, his "mother's" mental wellbeing for instance.

So whilst I don't mind this behaviour from a moral perspective, terrorising these equines seems very fun, he should probably be looking to cure his soul-cancer as quickly and efficiently as possible unless he wants to miss more than a month of his daughter's life because he would rather be playing with ponies, which means actually talking to the mane six about the Tree of Harmony and the true nature of his contagious curse. If that fails immediately going to believable legal threats of some kind, more severe than what is happening at the moment like selling high-tech machinery to competing farms and bakeries. Putting Pinkie and the Apple familly out of business pretty quickly.

There is also the fact Rainbow Dash is the poorest of the mane six. Yes she has a cloud house but she made it herself and the place barely has any space inside it.
Yes? She mostly sleeps in trees and spends her spare time training. It's the size she wants it to be. Cloud is free, so she could expand it if she wanted to.
Twilight Sparkle is a princess.
Twilight Sparkle is a librarian with no library. She didn't get a demesne when she ascended. I can only assume that Equestria has some sort of civil list.
Applejack and her family own the most successful farm in the area, they are just a bit stingy expending money. That makes sense since they are next to the Everfree forest and so they need that money for emergencies.
Flim and Flam rather disproved that.
I understand that Grayven is having a fun time in Equestria partially because he was a fan before becoming God of Conquest however he is being exceptionally irresponsible here. Not only is he essentially bullying children (which is the only way I can see the protagonists of MLP assuming they are close to canon) who understand neither the law nor complex emotional turmoil but still wield powerful mind-altering magics and WMDs.
At this point they're in their late teens. And Celestia is fine sending them against evil demigods and dragons.
However if Grayven spends one day in Equestria his daughter won't see him for more than 2 weeks.
Wrong way around. Grayven could spend two weeks in Equestria and she'd only miss him for a day. And Sunset could change that at will.
Putting Pinkie and the Apple familly out of business pretty quickly.
Flim and Flam already did that. The Apples might know all about apples but they're terrible businessponies.

Wrong way around. Grayven could spend two weeks in Equestria and she'd only miss him for a day. And Sunset could change that at will.

Ah gotcha. This does mean that Grayven should probably live in Equestria then since he can react to anything happening on earth fifteen times as fast as long as he can run a high bandwidth cable through the mirror, it'd be like being on Velocity 10 all the time. At the least he should move all his manufacturing to the place with hundreds of hours in the day, hopefully Wilson doesn't have some kind of technology destroying force like Harry Potter Wizardry.

Flim and Flam already did that. The Apples might know all about apples but they're terrible businessponies.

So its a known tactic. Does Grayven just not want to do something that has already been done in the show or have the ponies wizened up enough that Psion-tech manufacturing equipment wouldn't put the mane six out of business? If so Grayven could just go full lawful asshole and make some medical devices to cure currently untreatable diseases, perhaps aging, then just sit on them until the protagonists have to confront a really thorny ethical question or two.

Of course now that I think about it more Grayven should probably offer Psion-tech to the Element Bearers first and when they inevitably turn him down for some dumb reason he can put them all out of business/mentally scar them and rehire them as the Equestrian Justice League or Stormwatch or whatever.

Ah gotcha. This does mean that Grayven should probably live in Equestria then since he can react to anything happening on earth fifteen times as fast as long as he can run a high bandwidth cable through the mirror, it'd be like being on Velocity 10 all the time. At the least he should move all his manufacturing to the place with hundreds of hours in the day, hopefully Wilson doesn't have some kind of technology destroying force like Harry Potter Wizardry.
And it would allow Applejack to actually make money as she'd get fifteen growing seasons to each Earth year.
So its a known tactic. Does Grayven just not want to do something that has already been done in the show or have the ponies wizened up enough that Psion-tech manufacturing equipment wouldn't put the mane six out of business? If so Grayven could just go full lawful asshole and make some medical devices to cure currently untreatable diseases, perhaps aging, then just sit on them until the protagonists have to confront a really thorny ethical question or two.

Of course now that I think about it more Grayven should probably offer Psion-tech to the Element Bearers first and when they inevitably turn him down for some dumb reason he can put them all out of business/mentally scar them and rehire them as the Equestrian Justice League or Stormwatch or whatever.
Oh, Grayven could totally wreck their economy. Medical stuff is a bit more iffy as no one in Universe 16 has studied their physiology.

He did explain, but the mlp cast considered discord seeds to be more dangerous.

It's fairly likely Grayven big words explanation went over their heads, and since they expect him to leave if he can't be cured then what he does in the future is unlikely to be their problem, and technically Grayven won't die, he is slowly turning more and more evil and nihilistic... Eventually he will become another Darkseid... I guess he could die if he kills himself to escape such a fate, but as it has been stated the anti-life has integrated with his soul.
What he did was give what could be considered a deliberately downplayed not-explanation that oh-so-conveniently avoids mentioning all the mass murder and contagious mind destruction:
"I've got a… Let's call it a curse. It tries to change the way I think. At the moment there's… Another spell keeping it contained, but the containment is gradually weakening. When Sunset described the way magic worked here, I began to hope that a sufficiently powerful harmony-related effect could permanently destroy it. And.. now that I've learned that you could easily regain the ability to generate such blasts, I'm… Really not sure what the problem is?"

Twilight tilts her head to the right. "It's just a curse?"

"It's a… Little worse than 'just a curse', but… Yes?"

She sits up a little straighter, smiling in what I expect she intends to be a reassuring way. "Why don't-" Her horn lights up." "-you let me take a loo-"

I generate a yellow barrier and a suit of yellow barding.

"-kkkkk…? Or… Not?"

"It's a memetic hazard, Twilight. It wants to be spread. If you touch it then it will claim you as well and then you won't be able to use the Elements. That's why you shooting me with them is such a great solution: it's one way. No chance for feedback."

"Okay… What does it do?"

"It uses examples from your own life to prove to you that having any aim results in failure and misery."

Rainbow Dash looks decidedly unimpressed. "That's it? So it doesn't… Turn you into a warthog, or make you get old super fast or turn your legs into sand or… Anything?"

"I spent days raving in anguish before it got shut down."

She exhales dismissively.

"Mister Graven…" Twilight looks like she's about to break some bad news. "I'm happy to try looking at this curse for you, but… We only use the Elements on bad ponies. You're trying to remove a curse and that's… Fine, but it doesn't make you bad."
and then used the Mane Six's dismissal of him as an excuse to bully them. As much fun as this is to read, it's essentially a 30+ year old New God using a pile of gold and a bunch of lawyers to bully six teenagers into doing something that they would have done anyway if he had just explained himself properly.

Telling them that it destroys souls and leaves most of the people exposed to it brain dead at best while those who survive it become monsters that want to spread it would have been a better explanation of why they should help him.

The way he explained it to them seemed to be like it just causes sadness and some depression, while unpleasant not something that requires using super magic artifacts to cure, they probably thought he was simply being a drama queen when describing the effects and their severity.

Telling them that it destroys souls and leaves most of the people exposed to it brain dead at best while those who survive it become monsters that want to spread it would have been a better explanation of why they should help him.

The way he explained it to them seemed to be like it just causes sadness and some depression, while unpleasant not something that requires using super magic artifacts to cure, they probably thought he was simply being a drama queen when describing the effects and their severity.
Which is funny because they've "learned" lessons to not just ignore people's problems even if they think they're just being drama queens about it (Lesson Zero).

What he did was give what could be considered a deliberately downplayed not-explanation that oh-so-conveniently avoids mentioning all the mass murder and contagious mind destruction:

and then used the Mane Six's dismissal of him as an excuse to bully them. As much fun as this is to read, it's essentially a 30+ year old New God using a pile of gold and a bunch of lawyers to bully six teenagers into doing something that they would have done anyway if he had just explained himself properly.

He censored himself because if he told them the raw version they would probably get scared and not come to his world when he invites them to come to earth for a visit. Grayven would probably give Celestia and Luna the uncensored one.

Not only is he essentially bullying children (which is the only way I can see the protagonists of MLP assuming they are close to canon) who understand neither the law nor complex emotional turmoil but still wield powerful mind-altering magics and WMDs

Wow, when did this story become Worm?

He censored himself because if he told them the raw version they would probably get scared and not come to his world when he invites them to come to earth for a visit. Grayven would probably give Celestia and Luna the uncensored one.
If he's inviting them to the DCU to face off against Darkseid they damn well should be scared, and have the right to know what they'd be potentially dooming themselves to.

About the time a socially isolated teenager with incredible power was thrown unwittingly into a fight to save the world?

Also, I just found out about this. I managed five out of twelve.
I actually got 0/12:eek:... and I wasn't trying:confused:
QiItgpN.png

About the time a socially isolated teenager with incredible power was thrown unwittingly into a fight to save the world?

Also, I just found out about this. I managed five out of twelve.

You forgot the bullying.

Also: Wow! Nobody ever needed that information, ever! Second time that's ever happened to me. Right after learning what "clopping" was.

This chapter reminded me of one of those horrible Harry Potter revenge/bash fics where the Harry goes to the goblins and sues everyone.

I initially read this as referring to the SI (generously/loosely interpreting him as a teenager) and With This Ring itself, before realizing it was MLP. In many ways it seems to work for both.

Did you read the one of the ones where they managed to get the Wizengamot's charter revoked?

It probably happens in multiple fics, but I remember this from one where Harry and Sirius manage to meet the Queen before the former's trial.

This chapter reminded me of one of those horrible Harry Potter revenge/bash fics where the Harry goes to the goblins and sues everyone.
That's because Zoat, the writer, created a bunch of previously non-existent laws that if they had previously existed characters in the setting would have followed for the sole reason of his Self Insert bashing the characters of a setting.

Which is pretty much badly written bashfic 101.

That's because Zoat, the writer, created a bunch of previously non-existent laws that if they had previously existed characters in the setting would have followed for the sole reason of his Self Insert bashing the characters of a setting.

Which is pretty much badly written bashfic 101.
Except they wouldn't because they tend to not know laws unless they were right in their faces just like how half the country knows Daring Do is a real life pony while the other thinks she's just a fictional character.

i'm gonna say this now. you nerds are taking a story about ponies way too bloody seriously.

If grayven actually wanted to hurt any of the mane 6 legally all he'd need to do is point out some of the more dickish moments from seasons 1-3 and be done with it like nothing. there's plenty of evidence there for at least a legal overview if not revokes. secondly, most of the actual blame can go back to the diarchs, so it'll just get swept under anyway. He's basically pushing and poking pacifists trying to get them to lash out over annoyances so he can get blasted with the skittles beam, not actually hurting them or trying to ruin them.

i'm gonna say this now. you nerds are taking a story about ponies way too bloody seriously.
Oh, lighten up. We take everything about WTR this seriously. That doesn't change just because it's ponies. Yes, we know it's just a story. But it's a story specifically about a character who takes a comic book universe seriously. The whole idea is exploring the weirdness of comic book stories through this lens.

sorry man but it's like, they're making out what zoat's done to be worse then it is just because we haven't seen anything be done in response. and Vaer is doing their bullshit again but that's not much of a surprise. anyway, i get that we're taking the story seriously, but there is a level we should take it to be, not just automatically the Nth degree. it's silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back