• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

9th November 2018
19:12 GMT -5

Wonder what Earth this is.

At first I thought it might be Earth One due to the mention of Arrow, but there was very firmly no Alan Scott Green Lantern, and the Justice Society there disappeared in 1956 not 1948.

I guess it might be the post Crisis Earth Prime, but if so it sucks to be him, because there's no uncertainty in concerns to the existence of broken enemies that exist on that Earth.

and the Justice Society there disappeared in 1956 not 1948.

The Justice Society here died in the 21st century, not 1948.

At first I thought it might be Earth One due to the mention of Arrow, but there was very firmly no Alan Scott Green Lantern,

Zoat could decide to add the Alan Scott in this version even if it's set in Arrow.

There may have been some plans to put a Green Lantern in that show that just never came to fruition, but Zoat decided to use them.

He did use an early draft of the Justice League cartoon to send Anti Green to.

The Justice Society here died in the 21st century, not 1948.

Zoat could decide to add the Alan Scott in this version even if it's set in Arrow.

There may have been some plans to put a Green Lantern in that show that just never came to fruition, but Zoat decided to use them.

He did use an early draft of the Justice League cartoon to send Anti Green to.
I have watched every single episode of the Arrow verse, it wasn't.

Green Lanterns very specifically didn't even exist in that Universe till after the Crisis merged it with Earth 38. And while Green Lanterns did exist on Earth 38, their power rings don't have even half the abilities of their comic counterparts. Which means, unless Zoat buff's them, something he shouldn't do, Paul would be vastly outmatched by everyone from Superman to Lex Luthor.

Actually... random idea off the top of my head but what would happen if you gave a Green Lantern Ring to a Solipsist? I mean, obviously the effects would vary by ring power and such but...

9th November 2018
19:12 GMT -5

Hah.

So this is the future?
Keep in mind, All versions of Paul got pulled from around 2013. So, yes, this is the future to him.

Looks… Pretty much the same.

If I knew more about fashion then I could probably make a clever observation about clothes or something, but… I haven't seen anything particularly strange. More smart phones than I remember seeing, but mobile phones weren't something I've ever been interested in.
Yeah, Things never advance as fast as writers seem to assume they will. Remember plot-lines like the Machine Man limited series from the Eighties, set in the far-off future year of... 2020. Where everything was already corporate-ruled cyberpunk dystopia...

Well, at least you're familiar with the people. Can't say that about the Fallout or Thundercats Pauls.

It's curious. In the comics the Justice Society came together… I'm not sure, actually. I remember from Starman that Jay Garrick and Alan Scott were active in the forties and I think I remember a Superman comic where he went back to that era and tried to ask them for help returning to the present only to be blocked by the Spectre…
Eh, that Spectre probably just wanted to stop everyone from getting time-travel headaches. Seriously, you think they're bad for humans? Imagine how bad it'd be for the Spirit of Vengeance.

Here, they were a modern group. There were superheroes during the Second World War, and they were called the All-Star Squadron. But the Justice Society formed in the nineties from a group of heroes who'd worked together to varying degrees extents for years. It's like… If someone really wanted to a Justice League film, had the ideas and the budget but couldn't get the licence for the property they really wanted to adapt.
So, the CW-multiverse of DC. Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Titans and so forth? And honestly, that's all I know of it.

And eight years ago they were all killed.

Quite how that happened I'm not sure about, but more than a few names I remember from the comics turned up dead after a major fight with a group called 'The Injustice Society', who promptly appear to have gone underground.
Hmm... How likely is it said Injustice Society didn't all survive either? And in a more realistic world, they'd likely be more easily recognised anyway.

Which leaves me with a choice to make.

There are supervillains, but major battles appear to be a bi-annual thing, and if you're not in that city there's a good chance your life will be entirely unaffected. Worldwide crises… Even if you count something like the Second World War, there have been.. maybe.. three..? So life is pretty much the same as it was back home, not just in terms of society and technology but in terms of life-as-experienced.
A typical cheat so they don't have to work out things like variant car designs a superhero universe would evolve. I would imagine people copying low-quality pictures of stuff like the Batmobile would crop up, as concepts at least. What's Batman going to do, sue?:p

I don't… Need.. to get involved.

Then again… I've done the obvious thing of getting a giant pile of precious metal by mining asteroids. I sold enough to get walking around money, and selling the rest at intervals won't really present much of a problem. Even with no qualifications that I can prove, I can easily get away with not working another day in my life. Which is… Nice, but it does leave me with a rather empty schedule.
And no schizo-tech running about to try and make more affordable. So you can't do Peter Wynne's thing.

And the few hours I've spent with this ring have been the most intense of my life.

I'm

I'm trying to justify going something stupid and dangerous. But I don't think I could stand not doing that stuff. I don't think I can give it up.
And this Paul's already addicted to the Orange Light, kind of. It's probably a heady feeling, making anything you want enough into reality...

So then. Here's to being stupid.

I raise my right fist to knock on the-.

And I'm airborne, a glowing green disc propelling me through the air! The acceleration is keeping me pressed against it but I can see quite a long way down at the moment. And-.
See, this is why you wear your ring when confronting a potential super, friend or foe.

The disc slows, rotating as it does so to keep me onboard. As it comes to a halt in a horizontal position I carefully pick myself up and straighten my clothes.

And here she comes. White and black costume with a green atomic nucleus emblem between her breasts.
Yum. And she's named Jade. Potential love interest already?

Gosh. Um. This may not be a very superheroey world but her physique clearly took its cues from the generous proportions of-.

"My face is up here."
Whoops. In his defence, the standard superheroine physique plus skin-tight 'totally not spandex really!' makes for quite the distraction. Hey, our OL did it to Wonder Woman!

"Yes." My eyes move upwards to her decidedly unimpressed face. "Yes, it is."

"Who are you and what do you want?"

I could mess around and use ambiguous language, but she's already annoyed… Best to be direct.
Yeah, she may decide to decorate the trees with imprints of your face. That's not fun...

"I would like to purchase Green Lantern Alan Scott's personal lantern. I believe that you're the owner, and since you obviously you don't have a secret identity, finding you-"

"In a cabin in a national park with no roads for miles around."
"Power Rings are awesome... And that felt oddly comfortable to say, when I think about it..."

"-was simple."

She looks down, and I see a green light strobe over the countryside.

"Who else is here?"
Paranoid much? Then again, she's probably wary of being snatched up as a lab experiment. Being able to manipulate Glow Energy innately is a rare thing.

"I didn't.. see anyone."

The band of green light vanishes into the distance, and she returns her attention to me.
Well, at least she's calmed down a little?

"Why the hell would I give-"

"Sell."
Got to be precise, after all. It's not like you're going to pauper her.

"-Alan Scott's ring to a creep like you?"

"In my defence, you're an extremely attractive woman wearing a thin skin-tight costume in November. And while I certainly don't wish to diminish the significance of your achievements or character, I don't think my being distracted is completely unreasonable."
Yeah, I just said that. Completely natural.

That gets a half eye roll. Not 'Dad's ring', I notice. I suppose that if they… Unlike her brother, Jennifer-Lynn had good parents growing up. Understandable that she thinks of the man who raised has as 'Dad' rather than her biological father.
Hopefully Todd is doing better here than in the comics. He's had a long history of getting jerked around... And not in the way he'd like, either! x3

"And I don't need his ring. I've already-."

I'm in America. I've heard this story enough times to know to warn armed people before reaching anywhere they can't see.
A very, very good idea, especially when said person can smash you by thinking.

"I'm going to reach into my pocket to get something to show you?"

She looks mildly puzzled. Alright fine. I slide my right hand into my jacket pocket and take out the ring I was wearing when I got here.
So you took it off to avoid a 'potential super-villian' mistaken identity incident. I suppose glowing bright orange might not have made a good first impression.

"See? I've got my-" Her only reaction is mild curiosity. One point in favour of the Green Lantern Corps not existing in this parallel. "-own ring."

She shakes her head. "So what do you need his lantern for?"

"As a charge point. I'm… Hopeful that I can adapt it to charge this ring."
Assuming many many things, here. We don't know if the Lantern is an actual Corps lantern but damaged, or the Starheart container, or what. Or even if you can recalibrate it onto Orange light.

She shakes her head. "I'm not letting you damage his equipment."

"Is someone using it? I didn't.. see anything about a new Green Lantern."
Thankfully. Since some other alternatives, if this isn't the CW-multiverse, include the Ryan Reynold GL movie's universe, or that horrible cheese-fest of a direct-to-video Pilot made in the Nineties, loosely inspired by the Giffen/DeMattis era.... :confused: Oh, god... It isn't that one is it?

"No. No one's using it. But that lantern and the ring that goes with it are a part of his legacy, and I'm not going to let just anyone take it."

"So there's no amount of money-?"
"Because, well, I have quite a lot of it. I make Croesus look like a pauper, and all that..."

"No."

"I mean, you could endow a scholarship in his name, or set up a charitable foundation or something?"
It'd be a fair way to honour him. Perhaps something related to broadcasting?

"I'm not going to sell you his lantern so you can mess around with it."

I sigh.
Welp, diplomacy checks failed. But not critically so. She's not hostile.

"O… Kay. How about if I don't? How about if you sell me both, and I only use his lantern to charge his ring?"

"That's… Something I could agree to. But how could I trust you?"
So, charging the Green Ring, then stealing charge from it using the Orange's feeding ability. That's got to be inefficient. And I doubt you've got the Will to use the Green Ring. Awkward, but doable.

I grin.

"Are you in the market for a sidekick?"
Certainly not the first Paul to take that route. Paragon and Renegade Earth-16 did so. But there was a team just forming then.

Oh, this is going to be torturous, waiting to see if this is a specific universe or something original. I have no doubt it's not going to be what most of us expect, though. Is this the Titans (2019) universe? Or Doom Patrol's? Argh, so many possibilities. It might not even be a CW-Multiverse strand...

Yeah, Things never advance as fast as writers seem to assume they will. Remember plot-lines like the Machine Man limited series from the Eighties, set in the far-off future year of... 2020. Where everything was already corporate-ruled cyberpunk dystopia...

"Because, well, I have quite a lot of it. I make Croesus look like a pauper, and all that..."

Well it's not like they were WRONG at least not exactly...
Also i like that you linked to info on who THE figure of wealth most referenced by westerners is.

I have watched every single episode of the Arrow verse, it wasn't.

Green Lanterns very specifically didn't even exist in that Universe till after the Crisis merged it with Earth 38. And while Green Lanterns did exist on Earth 38, their power rings don't have even half the abilities of their comic counterparts. Which means, unless Zoat buff's them, something he shouldn't do, Paul would be vastly outmatched by everyone from Superman to Lex Luthor.

I did say that if this is Arrow that it may be set in something the writers wanted to do, but couldn't for whatever reason, not something that was shown in the Arrow episodes.

Paul isn't a Green Lantern, he's an Orange Lantern.

His ring probably doesn't have the limitations they have.

Also I'm not even sure they really showed the Green Lanterns do anything, there was only that scene of Diggle finding that ring that I remember.

And this Paul's already addicted to the Orange Light, kind of. It's probably a heady feeling, making anything you want enough into reality...

This Paul could be different from paragon even before he got his ring. Remember renegade was also different.

Hopefully Todd is doing better here than in the comics. He's had a long history of getting jerked around... And not in the way he'd like, either! x3

Hmm, Paul is bisexual, so maybe this will be the first version of him we've seen that starts dating a guy.

Well aside from Gold Lantern, who seemed to be checking out Nightwing, and may try to find some action now that he's free of the insane ring.

So, charging the Green Ring, then stealing charge from it using the Orange's feeding ability. That's got to be inefficient. And I doubt you've got the Will to use the Green Ring. Awkward, but doable.

The various Paul's have been shown to be quite skilled ring wielders, so he may be able to use the Green Ring competently.

This would be the first version of Paul we'd see use a Green Ring.

Maybe she'll give him the Lantern for him to convert into an orange one after she spends time with him and sees that he's a good guy.

Letting the Lantern be used so that it can empower a good guy to protect people seems like a better way to honor Alan's memory then just letting it gather dust, even if the Lantern will be permanently altered.

Really hope that this may be set in the Doom Patrol universe.

If this Paul is as empathetic and therapeutic as his paragon counterpart then the characters in that universe are going to need him.

Also I really wanna read a chapter where Paul sings with a transvestite.

This version of the malthusian who made Paul's ring is going to be so disappointed, she makes a ring and gambles on it and as soon as it grabs someone they swap rings to green.

There may not be any Maltusians in this universe.

This version said that the GLC doesn't exist so they may also not exist.

Even if they existed I don't think that a Maltusian from this universe sent the ring, but rather a Maltusian from another universe sent it and this Paul just landed in the wrong universe.

It has happened before.

All this talk about where this Paul ended up makes me wonder if there is a version that ended up a Wild West Else World.

I'd wondered if this were Smallville, before I recalled how long ago Smallville was (and felt old), and that Smallville's JSA was founded in the 1970s and didn't get killed off until later.

It could be the Titans 2019 or Doom Patrol timeline, though. I don't know enough about the Titans/Justice League Dark cartoons to have any idea if it's that one, but I'm more than 99% certain that it's not the Superfriends timeline.

Yum. And she's named Jade. Potential love interest already?
Her name is Jennifer-Lynn Hayden.
Whoops. In his defence, the standard superheroine physique plus skin-tight 'totally not spandex really!' makes for quite the distraction. Hey, our OL did it to Wonder Woman!
He was looking at her shoulders.
Hopefully Todd is doing better here than in the comics.
Nope!
Assuming many many things, here. We don't know if the Lantern is an actual Corps lantern but damaged, or the Starheart container, or what. Or even if you can recalibrate it onto Orange light.
All products are bought 'as-is'.

Thing is... Jennifer-Lynn and Todd are in their late twenties. They've both been active as superheroes for over a decade. He's dealt with his childhood as well as he's going to.

Still having a friend, or boyfriend, in Paul could be a good thing.

Even if he's dealt with his childhood as well as he's going to that doesn't mean that Paul can't help him deal with some other things.

"Blue Lantern and Captain Atom will be with you in a few seconds. Your primary objective is to locate and recover any survivors. Your secondary objectives are to identify the thief or thieves and find out what they were planning."

I nod. "Who has local command?"

Because despite my rank-

"Captain Atom."

I just noticed that this says Captain Atom. Some of the older posts uses Major Atom. May I know which is correct? His secret identity was promoted. Was that applied to his codename as well, or did he keep Captain Atom because it is more recognizable?

I just noticed that this says Captain Atom. Some of the older posts uses Major Atom. May I know which is correct? His secret identity was promoted. Was that applied to his codename as well, or did he keep Captain Atom because it is more recognizable?
His rank is now Major but his codename is still Captain Atom. When the SI thinks 'Major' he should also think 'Adams'.

Well, when was the last Grayven chapter?

Four episodes ago.

It was called Equestrian Guise.

It typically tends to be a handful of paragon episodes and then one renegade episode, but there were two renegade episodes so it may be more than a handful of paragon episodes before we get to renegade.

Any chance some one wants to put a list on how how many "alt story/chapters" there are ? I understand Paragon/Renegade with Paul and Grayven. I was having issues keeping the story straight in my head so I tend to skip the chapters without Paragon Paul OL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back