• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

It's a replica. He used "my ring", to refer to it, which he shouldn't be able to do about the real deal.
I'm pretty sure he's used the phrase to refer to it before in Earth 12. Plus, like he said, he doesn't care which ring it is as long as i'ts functional. Though a replica does mean it's likely that it contains tracking or malware.

Reasonable Bobbleheads? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!

The Guardians try to portray themselves as being beings that care about logic and order over petty emotions.

Maybe this version of them really do live up to that, at least from time to time.

Narrows eyes

That worked out rather well. How...suspicius.

Maybe Larfleeze doesn't exist in this universe, so they don't have to fear another one of him coming about and so have to inclination to keep a power ring stolen from someone without a good reason.

Yeah Peter feared that he could summon him to Earth if he used his ring too much, but he could have just been worried because Larfleeze exists in the comics, but may not exist in the Earth 12 universe and he just didn't confirm it.

Could Guardians put malware into the ring?
Yes, it's either my ring

Maybe make it 'the ring' , because of that whole 'can't call the ring ring I came here with ''my ring'' thing'

I'm pretty sure he's used the phrase to refer to it before in Earth 12. Plus, like he said, he doesn't care which ring it is as long as i'ts functional. Though a replica does mean it's likely that it contains tracking or malware.

My bet is either a tracker, a monitor, or they destroyed its ability to absorb any energy.

I doubt they could make an orange ring, considering what goes into making a green ring for them.

WHAT?! WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?! I think I'm getting a slight sense of broken suspension of disbelief or something. Did the Guardians really returned it just like that? Who hit them with the Common Sense interrupt button?

Godsdamn it, now I want to see how the discussion between the Guardians went, or how John Stewart sent the request/explanation for the Ring to be returned. This is... this is... I see it, but I don't know what this is. I'm laughing though, this is so weird, but I guess a good weird if it does resolve the Cold War between Peter and the Justice League.

Perhaps they thought about what the former owner would do to get it back? The only other functional example of a Orange lantern power ring belongs to the agent orange. As it doesn't have power, and thus isn't a threat to the Guardians, the logic there is understandable... Well, understandable if the Guardians of Earth-12 can fit other sentients propensity for emotion into their decision. Also considering this is the JL Cartoon version of the Guardians, they are likely a good deal nicer than the... Official Guardians? Comics Guardians? Whatever, you hopefully know what I mean.

Or it could be a heavily bugged and monitored replica. But as Peter isn't inclined to use it most of the time, even that is mostly acceptable.

Edit: Actually, hold up... Agent orange may not even exist... The cartoon universe is a good deal less dark than the comics version, the most relevant example is that the manhunters never massacred sector 666. Huh... Does this mean that the Guardians aren't amoral pseudo-villains in this universe? Weird...

Last edited:
'in dress'
'But we can'
maybe 'had nothing'
It's a replica. He used "my ring", to refer to it, which he shouldn't be able to do about the real deal.
Thank you, corrected.
He's okay with Eiling having super weapons? That guy gave me the creeps even without knowing about Cadmus screw ups.
As a US Army General, Eiling has nuclear weapons.

"You didn't steal it. I trust that the other local Green Lantern has had his knuckles wrapped?"

"Ah… Sssomething like that."
He's either been put on Temporary Leave for petty theft, or thrown in a Science Cell.

Either way, John's going to be glaring daggers at Batman for a good while, isn't he?

He's okay with Eiling having super weapons? That guy gave me the creeps even without knowing about Cadmus screw ups.

And does Peter not remember Cadmus? I hope he is at least planning to subvert and infiltrate them or something and that's why he wants the ring back?

He's probably not okay with it, but knows he can't really stop him from using other ways aside from him to get them.

The various versions lose the knowledge they have of the setting they are in, so Peter doesn't remember the cartoon version of Cadmus, which is how I think most people first find out about them.

He may also not really remember the comic version because he lacks the perfect memory the ring gives.

He may just try to make Cadmus less evil and more competent.

His ring also lacks a charge and he has no way to recharge it, so it really wouldn't help him with dealing with Cadmus.

He's either been put on Temporary Leave for petty theft, or thrown in a Science Cell.

Either way, John's going to be glaring daggers at Batman for a good while, isn't he?

That or he's been relegated to the GLC equivalent of traffic duty.

John: Sir, may I please see your space ship license.

Space Cabby: Of course officer!

It's also doubtful Batman would care that he's glaring at him.

Because he's BATMAN!

Earth 12
12th February 2005
14:16 GMT -5

"General!"

A bald man is dress uniform turns away from the buffet table as Max leads me closer, smiling broadly. The.. General manages a small smile back after a moment to warm up.
This guy... This fucking guy... This is a man who should be nowhere near the power he's managed to accumulate... And if you think the DCAU version is unique, look up his comic counterpart.

"Lord. And…" I get a quick threat assessment. "Mister..?"

"General Eiling, Peter Wynne. Peter, this is General Eiling. He's in charge-"
I can already see friction. Eiling will have heard of Peter before. If only because of the whole 'hires supervillains' thing...

For a fraction of a second General Eiling's face hardens and his eyes narrow.

"-of America's exotic weapons development program, under Project Cadmus."
Yep, there it is. He's instantly pegging Peter as a 'disruptive element', possibly a 'limey hippy pinko' too...

I offer him my right hand. "Pleased to meet you."

He grasps it firmly and gives me one quick shake. "You're the power guy, right?"
Short, dismissive. Yeah, you can tell he's not sure what to make of Peter.

"The was my biggest and most profitable project, yes. Though I'm not sure it's my most significant."

"Tell that to every oil producer in South America. Hell, every oil producer in the Middle East. Your work's made a massive improvement to our fuel security. It's even shored up our position in Europe since demand for Russian gas fell off a cliff."
Well, I suppose he's happy about being less reliant on foreign imports. Puts his country in a much more independent position.

I nod. "I was aware that it had an impact."

"It's made the strategic situation a hell of a lot simpler." He thinks for a moment. "I still can't work out why you won't sell to us directly."
More than likely a promise he made to Ted Knight or his descendants, that the Cosmic generator tech wouldn't be used for war.

"I'm.. pretty sure that I'm supplying the US military with power."

"No, not that. A cosmic converter powered plane of tank would outperform anything on the market. It'd make you billions-. Even more billions, and ensure US dominance for the rest of the century."
I hardly think Peter needs more money, other than to further his goals of uplift. And that won't help much if some warhawk decides the rest of humanity doesn't need to exist...

"Well, the US-."

"Fine, NATO then. I don't mind selling to our allies."
Yeah, shows you what he thinks of 'those damn fool foreigners.' The worst kind of patriot, probably thinks the Government can do no wrong by virtue of being the Government... Unless he's decided that the Government is full of 'pinkos, hippies and traitors to Amurrica!'

"I'm not doing it because I promised Doctor Knight that I wouldn't. The patent's publically available, so other than collecting a fee we can't stop other people developing that sort of thing for you."

"Sure, and Luthor's already put a proposal together. But his people are starting from nothing. You're the one with all of Knight's records and I know he didn't just use the cosmic converter for making power."
Yes, which is why Ted doesn't want it used for that ever again. Superhero work, okay, but war? No.

"Doctor Knight spent time in a asylum after working on the Manhattan Project, because the guilt of getting so many people killed was too much for him. I.. get the impression that you'd be fine with it-"

"Only mistake we made there was not nuking Russia when we had the chance."
o_O Yes, totally the type of person you want in charge of your government super-soldier programs...

"-but he wasn't and I feel obliged to respect his wishes."

He visibly swallows his distaste. "Alright, but what about all of the other weapons your employees built?"
Those would be their patents. If you want to get your hands on them, take it up with them.

"I'm… I really don't think that encouraging them to be violent is a good idea for anyone. It's a bit of a 'lunatics running the asylum' situation."

"And everything else?"
Yeah, some of these guys, you don't want backsliding...

"Supervillains are my focus, but I don't personally have a problem making or selling weapons to.. parties I can trust not to do something stupid with them. And… Well, anyone I've got under contract has a buy-out clause and the contracts are fixed term anyway. If you like something they're making and want to hire them directly, you can. Just… Be aware of their natural inclinations. If they were inclined to work well with authority, they-."

"They wouldn't have become criminals in the first place." He frowns. "Alright, Lord, I don't get it. What's your angle? Why are we having this conversation?"
And being criminals, former or not, clearly taints them with original sin in his eyes. I bet if Eiling had his way, every one of them would be in front of a firing squad... Once they'd turned all their designs and theory over to the proper authorities, namely him.

"Peter told me that he was having trouble with the Justice League."

"Oh? Is that so? What kind of trouble are we talking about?"
Oh, I can just picture the shit-eating grin he has right now, internally at least. The thought of the League in trouble with a 'normal' guy, even a Brit...

"They stole something from me. And I'd get it if it was something my employees built, but it was a personal possession I can't replicate. If they don't fold I'm going to end up suing them in open court, which isn't going to be much fun."

"You..? Can prove that they stole it?"
Good lord, how does he not have orange in his speech right now (besides the fact Peter doesn't have empathic vision, anyway...) He must be salivating inside at the thought of being able to get dirt on the League.

"I walked in on Batman mid-steal. But it was the middle of the night and I didn't realise that he'd actually taken it until the next morning. I also have a recording of the League founders admitting to it and telling me their motive. The only thing making my lawyers nervous is that unless the League fold I'm going to use their real names on the court papers."

"You..?" His eyes narrow for a moment. "Know their names? What, did you used to be buddies with them or something? I didn't think Wayne Technologies could be funding the whole thing."
And now Peter's back to being an enemy, either for possibly funding League operations or because of what he knows... Peter better watch his back...

"No. But I've got access to exotic scanners, analytic equipment and… Frankly, it isn't that hard to work out once you abandon certain preconceptions."

He's trying not to smile. He's doing pretty well. It's like his own face can't remember how to make the muscles move that way.
Well, his default expressions seems to be variants of a disapproving frown. I doubt he's had much to smile about since the Thanagarian Invasion, at the minimum.

"You're gunna sue the Justice League?"

"What.. can I say? I believe in the rule of law. I'm.. not massively fond of vigilantes and I'm certainly not going to let them get away with robbing me."

"That's, ah… An interesting idea. I guessed you'd be more of a fan."
Well, some things just aren't done, you know. He is British. He doesn't have the same in-grained belief in the 'lone man fighting injustice' that Americans do...

"Saving fifty people doesn't give you the right to murder forty nine. I don't.. think that I… I don't understand why governments aren't.. more involved in… I don't know, formalising? A relationship with what is essentially a paramilitary NGO. I mean, particularly given how many of them are American. I don't think… Law enforcement is one of those things that should be outsourced."

"Hell, I don't either. That's what Project Cadmus is all about."
Not said: "Especially if I'm in charge of making sure they know who and what they ought to be fighting for. Namely, me."

I nod. "I assumed that the American military was recruiting metahumans, but I didn't think you were allowed to undertake law enforcement duties?"

"Actual soldiers can't. Be we can train metahumans who are members of a civilian agency, just so long as they don't join up themselves."
Before anyone asks: Posse Comitatus Act. American military forces can't be employed as Law Enforcement on American soil without Congressional approval. Naturally, this doesn't apply to National Guard, which are more auxiliaries. But mobilizing them without good reason can get you in trouble.

"That's… Not where the Royal Flush Gang came from, is it? Because-."

"No, that shit-show was the God-damned CIA. I had to explain that was nothing to do with us to three separate congressional hearings. I treat my people properly."
Suuure you do. Admittedly, the DCAU Royal Flush Gang was a hell of a shitshow... Poor Ace.

"I'm glad to hear it. I-."

There's a loud knocking on the window, and we turn to see… A young man knocking on the pane with a glowing green hand. That's not John Stewart.
Kyle Rayner. A rare appearance by the DCAU's less-well known Lantern. I bet John Stewart really didn't want to do this...

"Package for a 'Peter Wynne'?"

"Great." General Eiling smiles. "I've been wondering what javelin missiles do to Green Lanterns. Keep him talking while I get a squad together."
Probably the same thing most conventional weapons do to a Lantern with his shields up: Stuff and All. At most, they'll knock him around. Also, you're an asshole for suggesting it.

He pats me on the back and turns to leave.

"I'll… Do that." I smile apologetically to Max. "Excuse me."
Good show of a stiff upper lip, Peter. Try not to crow about what's about to happen too much the next time you run into Batman...

I jog out of the manor's patio doors and wave down the… I'm guessing that's Kyle Rayner.

"I'm Peter Wynne." He floats closer. "What do you have for me?"

"Do you have some ID?"
Holy hell, he actually has Common Sense? No wonder he became a White Lantern in the comics!

I take hold of the name badge I was issued upon arrival and hold it up. He nods.

"Right, just a sec."
But still a little bit gullible. No ring scan to compare it to previous logs from John Stewart? Unless he did so off-screen...

He reaches out with his right arm, his forearm disappearing into… A subspace pocket, and pulling out a.. ring case, which he tosses to me.

"The Guardians say they didn't realise it was stolen. Ah, sorry…"
Suuuuure. Man, to have been a fly on the wall in that session of the Guardian council.

I open the case and touch the ring… Yes, it's either my ring or a functional duplicate. I'm happy either way.

"You didn't steal it. I trust that the other local Green Lantern has had his knuckles wrapped?"
Probably a minor disciplinary note on his record. Guardians, after all.

"Ah… Sssomething like that."

"Thank you." I close the case and slide it into my jacket pocket. "Please express my gratitude to the Guardians and inform them that I'm happy to negotiate access to the ring, if they're still interested."
I hope he plans to crack it open when he gets home, check the charge level. I doubt they bothered to charge it up, but you never know. If only to place their own tracking programs and malware on it...

"I'll do that." He floats there for a moment. "So, ah… About suing the Justice League?"

"I think I can put that on the back-burner. For now."
The threat is still there if any of them poke their nose into his business without being asked again, I trust. I foresee an amusingly discreet conversation with Bruce Wayne somewhere down the line.

Huh, so in the end, Peter gets what he wanted. Not that he needs it anymore. I doubt the League's opinion of him will have changed any after this, though. Batman will probably keep his usual paranoid eye on him for a while, that's for sure. If only to prevent him going Sinestro on them.

In Batman Beyond (Batman of the Future, as titled on this side of the pond) Wayne Enterprises had some merger with Powers Industries, creating Wayne-Powers. This likely was at some point around when Lucius Fox left the company to found his own, Foxtecha, which shows up now and then in the background, with Old Bruce stating that he still looks out for the Fox family and their company.
Bruce mentioned that Derek Powers straight up fired Lucius once he became CEO of the then new Wayne-Powers. After which Lucius went on to create his own company Foxtecha, which became one of Wayne-Powers biggest competitors.

And being criminals, former or not, clearly taints them with original sin in his eyes. I bet if Eiling had his way, every one of them would be in front of a firing squad... Once they'd turned all their designs and theory over to the proper authorities, namely him.

He was able to work with Luthor, a criminal.

But still a little bit gullible. No ring scan to compare it to previous logs from John Stewart? Unless he did so off-screen...

The Guardians could just alter the records.

Probably a minor disciplinary note on his record. Guardians, after all.

Or something a bit more serious, in case they want their Lanterns to know that they can't break laws.

I hope he plans to crack it open when he gets home, check the charge level. I doubt they bothered to charge it up, but you never know. If only to place their own tracking programs and malware on it...

I doubt he'd be able to do that.

Yeah he has some advanced minds working for him, but a power ring is something else, so detecting the any malware placed by a hyper advanced race is a exercise in futility.

They also don't really have a reason to charge it up.

This guy... This fucking guy... This is a man who should be nowhere near the power he's managed to accumulate... And if you think the DCAU version is unique, look up his comic counterpart.

General Eiling is a guy that even Thunder Bolt Ross would say goes way to far. He is the sort that watches the movie Doctor Strange Love and thinks General Ripper didn't go far enough.

I doubt he'd be able to do that.

Yeah he has some advanced minds working for him, but a power ring is something else, so detecting the any malware placed by a hyper advanced race is a exercise in futility.

AMAZO was able to replicate Stewart's green lantern ring with a mere glance.

If Peter had hired Ivo Peter could have mass produced power rings.

How AMAZO's nanites were able to not only replicate a green lantern ring but it's charge, well don't ask me. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back