• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Also that does diddly for triggered or passive abilities, and what part of Ultrahumanite's powers were suppressed? They still had the body of a gorilla.

No one in Belle Reve can use their powers no matter what their origin, including physiology.

Neither Blockbuster, Brick, nor actual gorillas are allowed to be stronger than humans.

Hence my theory that it blocks the electrical signals to use abilities, have you not been paying attention to this conversation?

No one in Belle Reve can use their powers no matter what their origin, including physiology.
Neither Blockbuster, Brick, nor actual gorillas are allowed to be stronger than humans.
Hence my theory that it blocks the electrical signals to use abilities, have you not been paying attention to this conversation?

Rather than simply block them, since a Gorilla's strength is just normal biology/muscles, it inhibits them by blocking or weakening the signals sent by the brain that lets them use their powers.

I don't think there's an actual scientific explanation for the collars, other than "schizo tech that makes no sense".

From the wiki:
Inhibitor collars are special control collars designed to prevent the wearer from accessing their superhuman abilities, and also to apply electric shocks powerful enough to render a person unconscious. The collars must be pre-programed for an individual's specific abilities.

For subjects with multiple powers, the collars are capable of selectively repressing or allowing individual abilities, and can be remotely switched between settings.

This makes sense. When M'gann and Superboy went undercover, M'gann still had her Martian abilities, because the collar was programmed to block Tuppance's super strength only. Since Superboy's was for Tommy, it could block his.

How a collar could possibly block super intelligence is beyond me, especially when it's from a non-human brain. I mean, if you put one on Lex Luthor, would it make him dumber, so he's like the rest of us schlubs? Would a collar work on Superman? Evidence suggests that it would, since it works on Superboy. Would it work on a transformed Captain Marvel? Or Wonder Woman? Probably not, since their powers are diving in nature.

These collars are such broken BS tech. Seriously, Batman doesn't need complex plans to disable his fellow Leaguers (Tower of Babe?). He just needs a bunch of collars, and a way to get them on people. Same for the bad guys. We see them use these in later episodes, but not very effectively.

I don't think there's an actual scientific explanation for the collars, other than "schizo tech that makes no sense".

From the wiki:

This makes sense. When M'gann and Superboy went undercover, M'gann still had her Martian abilities, because the collar was programmed to block Tuppance's super strength only. Since Superboy's was for Tommy, it could block his.

How a collar could possibly block super intelligence is beyond me, especially when it's from a non-human brain. I mean, if you put one on Lex Luthor, would it make him dumber, so he's like the rest of us schlubs? Would a collar work on Superman? Evidence suggests that it would, since it works on Superboy. Would it work on a transformed Captain Marvel? Or Wonder Woman? Probably not, since their powers are diving in nature.

These collars are such broken BS tech. Seriously, Batman doesn't need complex plans to disable his fellow Leaguers (Tower of Babe?). He just needs a bunch of collars, and a way to get them on people. Same for the bad guys. We see them use these in later episodes, but not very effectively.

Ah, so they work off of the power of Plot then, just as all true schizo tech should.

Maladaptive (part 4)
22nd July 2012
09:03 GMT -5

"…where the laws of physics can just change whenever they feel like it!"

Kara's diatribe ends and she takes a deep breath. But there's no red glow from her eyes and she hasn't crushed anything.

"Technically, the laws of physics aren't changing. You're just-."

"Yes, I… Know. I'm just seeing a new subset. But this.. isn't something Krypton had to deal with. There aren't any meta-kryptonians. And we haven't had any wizards for centuries."

"You had wizards?"

"Supposedly. Back in our ancient history. But… I don't know if they actually used magic or just science more advanced than what their contemporaries had."

I think for a moment.

"When Krypton was at its most extroverted, did you encounter any aliens who used magic?"

She shakes her head. "One species with minor telepathic abilities, which we studied and learned to replicate technologically."

"You-? Have you told Ted about that? Because-."

"Yes, but the Thinker's Cap is already more advanced than what we had. The difference is that everyone who worked on it understood how and why it worked."

"Still stuck on that?"

"It's not that we're stuck, it's that we have a working device that we don't fully understand. If it's supposed to induce telepathy, how is it giving Bobo the ability to communicate in complex sentences? I'm not entirely comfortable with how enthusiastic humans are about finding uses for devices they don't completely understand."

"Do you understand every device you use?"

She blinks.

"Yes."

"And on Krypton?"

"Not all of them; I was still in school. But everything I used on a regular basis."

"Huh. I'm impressed. Was that an approach that was debated, or did it just seem natural to every kryptonian?"

"Kryptonians prac-. Practiced oligarchical democracy. We debate everything. But I don't remember any serious debate over.. basic knowledge." She frowns in bewilderment. "How do you even..? Live like that?"

"We accept the cargo cult."

"I don't think I understand exactly what that means. Why would anyone worship cargo?"

I bow my head, smiling. Of course a species like the Kryptonians wouldn't have an equivalent phrase. "To use a light switch, you need to be able to work the light switch. To use it for something, you need to know that pressing the button will switch the light from on to off or off to on. A person who's never seen a light switch before can work that out without any knowledge of the underlying mechanisms. But without that knowledge, if the filament in the bulb breaks and the light no longer works, all they're left with is the idea that they're not pressing the button in the right way."

"Or they could just study the bulb."

"Building an understanding of electrical theory from a device when they can only study the exterior and don't have the underlying knowledge?"

She hesitates as she realises the difficulty.

"Then you've got things like the Windows operating system. When my computer crashes… I mean, back on Earth Prime, I'd just restart it and assume that would fix the problem. I had no idea what the problem was or why restarting the computer fixed it…" I shrug. "But it did. And then you've got the problem that magic can literally work like that."

"It's amazing you developed science at all."

"As the Sivanas are so fond of insisting, just because it's magic that doesn't mean that you can't study it scientifically."

"Unless you're an-" She puts her right hand on her chest. "-alien, and can't do magic at all."

"What about that.. Torquasm stuff you were learning with Angelika?"

"That's not the same thing at all. Torquasm is just learning to take control of mechanisms in our mind which and I see what you mean."

"Finding it useful?"

She nods.

"Yeah. I'm.. sleeping better, and… I'm not good at it yet, but… It really puts things in… Perspective, I guess."

"Have you spoken to Lantern Yat?"

"No." She frowns thoughtfully. "I think he's a bit young to benefit from it."

"No, I meant… In the sense of there being a planet of other members of your species still out there. Or… Him not having a model of how to be kryptonian in an advanced civilisation."

"He's the one who can fly faster than light. But I suppose it would be interesting to hear what their civilisation is like; how it's changed since they left Krypton."

"You could visit. Kal-El's never been all that interested: the cultural separation is just too great. But… For you…"

"I'm not.. planning on restarting Kryptonian civilisation. I'm happy here."

"You're happy?"

She nods, smiling. "I actually am. No more gold kryptonite, interesting work, friends… I even put on the House El colors during the war with the Sheeda."

"I know; I've got a picture. But… You know what else yellow sunlight exposure does to kryptonians?"

"What?"

"Longevity. We won't need to clone replacement organs for you. As long as you come back every so often, you'll keep going for a very long time."

"So I need a long term goal. A really long term goal."

"You don't need to pick one in a hurry, but… Yes. If you plan on staying in Sol."

"I… Guess… Kordtech is doing a lot of work with magic. It could be interesting to become the first kryptonian in thousands of years to use magic."

I nod. "You've got time to work it out."

"Okay, that's enough about me. What are you up to?"

"Taking it easy in preparation for a full medical investigation. Oh, and we had a car with no self-drive system drive itself to its destination yesterday."

"How?"

"We don't know yet, but it's not an isolated incident. There has been a significant increase worldwide in technological devices behaving oddly over the past few weeks, and I want to look into it. Are you available to help me?"

Last edited:

Though be careful for hostile locals.

They do not like aliens or their Kryptonian cousins.

As long as you come back every so often, you'll keep going for a very long time."

Heck, in one comic Superman managed to live till the end of the universe.

And in the Red Son comics he apparently lived billions of years into the future.

Although he was weakening due to the red sun.

Taking it easy in preparation for a full medical investigation.

This is making me think that the title of the episode may refer to Paul not adapting all that well to his new state, instead of some machine entity not adapting to existence.

Heck, it may be both.

Last edited:
Could someone remind me what happened to nazi Kara?

Technically she's not Kara.

She's a half human half Kryptonian hybrid that received her Kryptonian parts when she was around ten years old and later Karl, or Overman, adopted her.

Her name is Angelika.

After the Crisis episodes she chose to stay on Earth 16 so she can learn to be more tolerant of other races, sexualities, religions etc.

I think she may be planning on going back to change her world one day.

22nd July 2012
09:03 GMT -5

"…where the laws of physics can just change whenever they feel like it!"

Kara's diatribe ends and she takes a deep breath. But there's no red glow from her eyes and she hasn't crushed anything.
Well, that's good. Last thing we need is a super-powered tantrum. As for her complaint? Say it with me: Earth Bullshit™. While she may not know it, and OL presumably isn't about to tell her, The White Light Entity sharing space with Earth makes it a strange world. "Let's keep it that way." - Elijah Snow

"Technically, the laws of physics aren't changing. You're just-."

"Yes, I… Know. I'm just seeing a new subset. But this.. isn't something Krypton had to deal with. There aren't any meta-kryptonians. And we haven't had any wizards for centuries."
Any public ones, certainly. Given the link below, they were talented at hiding themselves, after all.

"You had wizards?"

"Supposedly. Back in our ancient history. But… I don't know if they actually used magic or just science more advanced than what their contemporaries had."
You have heard Clarke's Law, Kara? And its corollary about sufficiently understood magic? Just think of Magic as the fifth fundamental force of the Universe, and let the soothing understanding flow over you... :p You are living with crazy people.

I think for a moment.

"When Krypton was at its most extroverted, did you encounter any aliens who used magic?"

She shakes her head. "One species with minor telepathic abilities, which we studied and learned to replicate technologically.
Well, as OL's found, magic-using worlds aren't common, after all. But only one world with exotic abilities? Then again, that's 'exotic abilities' by Kryptonian standards, and given what some forms of stellar radiation can do for them...

"You-? Have you told Ted about that? Because-."

"Yes, but the Thinker's Cap is already more advanced than what we had. The difference is that everyone who worked on it understood how and why it worked."
Some manner of organic radio-transceiver in their brain, I suppose? That seems like the most practical way to do it. Little bits of quartz or similar that naturally form in their neural structure... Skeletal structures that could act as emission and receiving points...

"Still stuck on that?"

"It's not that we're stuck, it's that we have a working device that we don't fully understand. If it's supposed to induce telepathy, how is it giving Bobo the ability to communicate in complex sentences? I'm not entirely comfortable with how enthusiastic humans are about finding uses for devices they don't completely understand."
Well, we haven't evolved much further than, "Ook, Shiny thing! Poke it!" To some degree... Even our best science is guesswork based on experimentation and observation.

"Do you understand every device you use?"

She blinks.

"Yes."
Because of course she does. It must feel like a modern human living in the Neolithic days, chipping flint to make sharp edges and tying them to sticks...

"And on Krypton?"

"Not all of them; I was still in school. But everything I used on a regular basis."
Yes, but you were Science Caste (if that was a thing in this universe's Krypton.) Of course a nerdy young lady like you would want to know how everything worked, you were born for it.

"Huh. I'm impressed. Was that an approach that was debated, or did it just seem natural to every kryptonian?"

"Kryptonians prac-. Practiced oligarchical democracy. We debate everything. But I don't remember any serious debate over.. basic knowledge." She frowns in bewilderment. "How do you even..? Live like that?"
It's called 'force of personality'. One charismatic person convinces others something is this way or should be that. Before long, the people they convince are too deep in to back out without feeling foolish and Bam! You have an entire hypothetical field of pseudoscience! Then the challenge becomes turning that from pseudoscience into real science...

"We accept the cargo cult."

"I don't think I understand exactly what that means. Why would anyone worship cargo?"
Well, humans naturally want to believe things. Is it so surprising?

I bow my head, smiling. Of course a species like the Kryptonians wouldn't have an equivalent phrase. "To use a light switch, you need to be able to work the light switch. To use it for something, you need to know that pressing the button will switch the light from on to off or off to on. A person who's never seen a light switch before can work that out without any knowledge of the underlying mechanisms. But without that knowledge, if the filament in the bulb breaks and the light no longer works, all they're left with is the idea that they're not pressing the button in the right way."
And when the aforementioned 'force of personality' gets involved, things get nuts. Say one guy suggests beating drums to appease the 'spirits of light'. Another tried to top that by declaring blood must be spilled. Humans are good at escalating crazy...

"Or they could just study the bulb."

"Building an understanding of electrical theory from a device when they can only study the exterior and don't have the underlying knowledge?"

She hesitates as she realises the difficulty.
And probably thinking things about Ted not being much more evolved than Bobo... :D

"Then you've got things like the Windows operating system. When my computer crashes… I mean, back on Earth Prime, I'd just restart it and assume that would fix the problem. I had no idea what the problem was or why restarting the computer fixed it…" I shrug. "But it did. And then you've got the problem that magic can literally work like that"

"It's amazing you developed science at all."
Well, that's a funny story... Ever heard the one about a million monkeys with a million typewriters? Yeah. It worked like that. One thing humans are also good at? Experimenting.

"As the Sivanas are so fond of insisting, just because it's magic that doesn't mean that you can't study it scientifically."

"Unless you're an-" He puts her right hand on her chest. "-alien, and can't do magic at all."
Then you're just trying to do the wrong kind of magic. It's like trying to run a Windows 10 App on a Commodore 64. The base mechanics are too different. The same applies for Human souls and Kryptonian souls.

"What about that.. Torquasm stuff you were learning with Angelika?"

"That's not the same thing at all. Torquasm is just learning to take control of mechanisms in our mind which and I see what you mean."
Yes, not so different, is it? After all, what is human magic training but conditioning the caster's brain to access a certain part it usually wouldn't? A part that can manipulate magical energies... Like training an unfamiliar muscle. That not everybody has.

"Finding it useful?"

She nods.

"Yeah. I'm.. sleeping better, and… I'm not good at it yet, but… It really puts things in… Perspective, I guess."
She's not all Zen yet, but someday, maybe.

"Have you spoken to Lantern Yat?"

"No." She frowns thoughtfully. "I think he's a bit young to benefit from it."
...Isn't he technically only a year or two younger than you? Physically speaking, not chronologically.

"No, I meant… In the sense of there being a planet of other members of your species still out there. Or… Him not having a model of how to be kryptonian in an advanced civilisation."

"He's the one who can fly faster than light. But I suppose it would be interesting to hear what their civilisation is like; how it's changed since they left Krypton."
Hey, get the right stellar radiation in you, maybe you could go superluminal too. Without the aid of a Power Ring. :rolleyes: Of course, then the problem would be a risk of exploding from overload...

"You could visit. Kal-El's never been all that interested: the cultural separation is just too great. But… For you…"

"I'm not.. planning on restarting Kryptonian civilisation. I'm happy here."
Besides, Daxam would represent all the worst parts of Kryptonian society for her, I suspect. Rampant Xenophobia first amongst them.

"You're happy?"

She nods, smiling. "I actually am. No more gold kryptonite, interesting work, friends… I even put on the House El colours during the war with the Sheeda."
Ha! You'll be righteously punching villainous faces yet, 'Supergirl'... Admit it, it was fun, wasn't it?

"I know; I've got a picture. But… You know what else yellow sunlight exposure does to kryptonians?"

"What?"
Oh, many wonderful things. :D Just wait until you manage to discover the self-replication power. Imagine shooting little Karas out of your fingertips!
Kara: :eek: "What?"

"Longevity. We won't need to clone replacement organs for you. As long as you come back every so often, you'll keep going for a very long time."

Oh, you have no idea... Try potentially living for 85,300 years, or more. Though that is an atypical case...

"You don't need to pick one in a hurry, but… Yes. If you plan on staying in Sol."

"I… Guess… Kordtech is doing a lot of work with magic. It could be interesting to become the first kryptonian in thousands of years to use magic."
Or simply developing a whole new kind of Kryptonian magic, rather than try to rediscover old ways. It's not like you need to rush it, after all. I'm sure the Kryptonian Virtual Intelligences could offer tips.
It is Paragon timeline that has the Kryptonian moonbase, right?

I nod. "You've got time to work it out."

"Okay, that's enough about me. What are you up to?"
...Did you just pull a Commander Shephard dialogue option? You know the kind. The ones where you're tired of asking about a detail and just want to move on...

"Taking it easy in preparation for a full medical investigation. Oh, and we had a car with no self-drive system drive itself to its destination yesterday."

"How?"

"We don't know yet, but it's not an isolated incident. There has been a significant increase worldwide in technological devices behaving oddly over the past few weeks, and I want to look into it. Are you available to help me?"
Hey, you can introduce her to Vulcan! And Hephaestus, if he's shown up to look in on it. You know Vulcan would have given him a call for a consultation if he felt it necessary...

Ah, Kara. Still so naive in the ways of Earth, after all this time? I guess she's getting a bigger dose of Earth Bullshit™ than most aliens do, since she's living here full-time. Just imagine the stories other visitors are spreading out there even now. Man, Earth is going to get a reputation for being gonads-to-the-wall crazy long before any kind of Space Fleet gets going... :p Just imagine how early explorers are going to play into it...

Hey, get the right stellar radiation in you, maybe you could go superluminal too

I think they could go light speed in the comics.

Though I'm not if she meant being capable of light speed due to the ring or some innate power.

Oh, you have no idea... Try potentially living for 85,300 years, or more. Though that is an atypical case...

And another lived to see the universe end, which he was preventing it from ending until the last living thing, a Mesopotamian god, died.

And Red Son apparently lived for billions of years.

Or simply developing a whole new kind of Kryptonian magic, rather than try to rediscover old ways. It's not like you need to rush it, after all. I'm sure the Kryptonian Virtual Intelligences could offer tips.
It is Paragon timeline that has the Kryptonian moonbase, right?[/QUOTE

If you mean Har-Zod, then yes.

Hey, you can introduce her to Vulcan

Seeing as she's working for Kord Industries she may have met him, since Vulcan has worked with Ted.

Ah, Kara. Still so naive in the ways of Earth, after all this time? I guess she's getting a bigger dose of Earth Bullshit™ than most aliens do, since she's living here full-time. Just imagine the stories other visitors are spreading out there even now. Man, Earth is going to get a reputation for being gonads-to-the-wall crazy long before any kind of Space Fleet gets going... :p Just imagine how early explorers are going to play into it...

Especially since Paul started going galactic.

I'm imagining that a lot of non humanoid species that are into humanoids are going to come to Earth after finding out what Paul did for the Spider Queen.

Yes, and that makes no sense.

First you can't suppress physiology, not if you want people to move and breathe. The bigger they are the more strength they need to just move around and function. Humanite's powers can't be suppressed without killing them, or rendering them an invalid at least. Even if the collars can be tuned to precisely limit strength like that a bigger heavier person is still going to need more power at their beck and call just to live. So they'd still need to be significantly stronger than the 'normal humans'.

Second it doesn't protect against abilities that aren't consciously controlled, so a mage could have warded themselves/set contingencies, several meta-types have bodies that are flat out destructive or nearly uncontainable even in passive mode. Hell some metas just flat don't have nerves.

Last edited:
it's not an isolated incident
Interesting!

I had actually assumed that the first car discovered was being manipulated by a person with telepathy and a strong sense of humor, since there are versions of telepathy that relied genetics rather than magic and it would address the various issues mentioned in the story.

Now it looks more like the introduction of the Silver, or someone becoming the Avatar of the machine Kingdom.

Neat!

It's because we're a race of violent brutes, dear. Technology (and counting magic here for now) is a red queen race. Even if you're willing to wait until you perfectly understand the function of that newfangled technology, Stick With Sharpened Rock At The Front, some other human will enthusiastically throw it at you in the meantime. In a combative species like that, you need an operative understanding immediately, because everyone around you is always looking for their next edge over you, and you at least need to be able to counter them. Hence almost nobody knows how magic works, but everyone knows that you kill vampires with a wooden stake and protect yourself against demons with a circle of salt. Operational understanding.

True.
It's because we're a race of violent brutes, dear. Technology (and counting magic here for now) is a red queen race. Even if you're willing to wait until you perfectly understand the function of that newfangled technology, Stick With Sharpened Rock At The Front, some other human will enthusiastically throw it at you in the meantime. In a combative species like that, you need an operative understanding immediately, because everyone around you is always looking for their next edge over you, and you at least need to be able to counter them. Hence almost nobody knows how magic works, but everyone knows that you kill vampires with a wooden stake and protect yourself against demons with a circle of salt. Operational understanding.
Magic's real though...

'Need' is stretching things. Humans can, and in the vast majority of cases are, perfectly happy with the 'goal' of enjoying themselves.
The idea that you must have some grand ambition is a recent western cultural trend, not something fundamental to intelligent life.

If aliens want to know what humans are like they should be shown the 'Humans are Space Orks' videos from YouTube. Then again in this universe humans will probably get that reputation eventually.

'Need' is stretching things. Humans can, and in the vast majority of cases are, perfectly happy with the 'goal' of enjoying themselves.
The idea that you must have some grand ambition is a recent western cultural trend, not something fundamental to intelligent life.
Similarly the idea that it will be terrible to outlive all your friends runs into the issue of still being energetic enough to go out and make new friends. And just generally live your day to day life. Frankly you'll probably lose more friends to people moving away or shifting schedules than death.

Why I do like the idea of "technophath" and time travelers more than supernatural?

Ah yes.

SCIENCE!

Similarly the idea that it will be terrible to outlive all your friends runs into the issue of still being energetic enough to go out and make new friends. And just generally live your day to day life. Frankly you'll probably lose more friends to people moving away or shifting schedules than death.

Yeah. I see no need for a goal to focus on. Plenty of people lived throughout histoey just maintaining their day to day lives.

I think this viewpoint is a consequence of Paragon's... distorted perceptipn of reality. He focuses on desires and is fuled by it, so focuses om desires. He cant seem to really conceive of contentment with your situation, or at least he cant see it as anything but bad.

Yeah. I see no need for a goal to focus on. Plenty of people lived throughout histoey just maintaining their day to day lives.

I think this viewpoint is a consequence of Paragon's... distorted perceptipn of reality. He focuses on desires and is fuled by it, so focuses om desires. He cant seem to really conceive of contentment with your situation, or at least he cant see it as anything but bad.
Yes this is a story about an orange lantern, not a gray lantern.

Good for Kara. I wonder which branch of magic would benefit the most from higher mathematics.

If I had to hazard a guess then I'd go with Order magic since it's a bit hard to get more ordered than mathematics baring some conceptual wankery, so I'd imagine that would work out the best for her. Other than that... something to do with manipulating spacetime could fit maybe?

Really if it's a magic system where knowing how to do high-end math in your head and having a solid grasp of physics makes you better at it than it ought to work well for her. As an example she would kick all kinds of ass with the Human magic system from Highschool DxD since it's all about using scientific principles and advanced math to achieve a result.

If I had to hazard a guess then I'd go with Order magic since it's a bit hard to get more ordered than mathematics baring some conceptual wankery, so I'd imagine that would work out the best for her. Other than that... something to do with manipulating spacetime could fit maybe?

Really if it's a magic system where knowing how to do high-end math in your head and having a solid grasp of physics makes you better at it than it ought to work well for her. As an example she would kick all kinds of ass with the Human magic system from Highschool DxD since it's all about using scientific principles and advanced math to achieve a result.

And maybe something from Fullmetal Alchemist, since it requires scientific knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back