• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think these should all be capitalised. I can see where the inclination to leave them lower case comes from, the word human is lower case after all. But I think because both species names come from a proper noun (Tamareans from Tamaran, Gordonians from Gordane), they would.

Like Australia and Australians.

Zoat tends to do this for a lot of alien species.

I think the only species he consistently writes with a capital letter is humans.

He's already killed one Graven with far less resources than he has now. What's one more.

True, but that Grayven wasn't all that prepared for fighting him.

This one may be better prepared.

I also don't remember if he still has the Sword, but if he doesn't then things may be more difficult.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think these should all be capitalised. I can see where the inclination to leave them lower case comes from, the word human is lower case after all. But I think because both species names come from a proper noun (Tamareans from Tamaran, Gordonians from Gordane), they would.

Like Australia and Australians.
Komand'r is a tamaranean Tamaranean from Tamaran.
Telsomere is a g-goblin Tamaranean from Earth.

When 'tamaranean' is used as a species name rather than a planet-nationality, it shouldn't be capitalised.
He's already killed one Graven with far less resources than he has now. What's one more.
He doesn't have Anti-Life any longer.
Thank you, corrected.
I thought that Hinon was tall like most of the other Controllers?

Unless renegade Hinon chose to look differently?
I don't... Think so? I'm going to need a quote on that.

What if this grayven shares info/IS actually Paragon's grayven?
And he can tell first glance that renegade is a transformed paul.

I can't remember if it was ever mentioned that she was tall, but I just thought that she was like most of the other Controllers.

So both paragon and renegade Hinon look like the Guardians?
All Controllers should be tall, as the Guardian split occurred before they turned into small blue dwarves.

ControllersDepartOa.jpg

He has Harmony, other Grayven is going to have any hard time to make his eye rays to anything.

I don't think Harmony can help him, because he doesn't have it in him.

I guess that if he asks the ponies then they can help, but I don't think he has it himself.

Granted he had an army and probably more experience fighting but if he is anything like the comics he never fought someone close in power to him.

In the comics Grayven was just some New God that was sired by Darkseid on some random planet and was left to fend for himself.

This story's version of Grayven actually grew up on Apokalips, so he probably has fought against others that can match or even surpass his power.

9th August 2012
10:12 GMT

I look around the Tamaranean countryside, taking in the recently planted fields and the genomorphs working them.

"Things going well?"
Another break from the OL show, I see. Good chance to skip over the days of barely-above-light-speed travel in the gyuanites' system. So, Grayven's looking in on one of his investments, eh? Hopefully all's been settling in well...

Telosmere nods. He's slightly more heavily build than the other g-goblins I've met, though I don't know whether that's to do with the heavy manual labour involved in running a commercial farm or something he was engineered with. While the genomorphs have access to more advanced farming equipment they have an obvious preference for manual labour. G-trolls pull the ploughs and harvesters, and act as ladders to allow the more agile g-elves to pick fruit from their backs.
Another G-Goblin? And I see where his name comes from: Telomeres. Another fitting name. And why waste precious fuel when raw genomorph muscle does the job just as well?

"We are already more than self-sufficient. These farms serve as the main supply hub for the Genomorph Entire. In accordance with our agreement with the tamaraneans we have supplied g-gnomes to their schools. We will open our first mines shortly, though we will have to trade for more advanced equipment for the foreseeable future."

I nod. "Any problems?"
Presumably equipment more suited to underground mining than the farming gear they have now. After all, they don't have G-moles or something like that for the work, do they.

"A small outbreak of blight. It was easy to deal with. Other than that, the only problem I have is with tamaraneans who wish to mate with me when I visit the capital."

I frown. "They aren't usually pushy once you give them a flat 'no'."
Also, maybe tell them you don't have suitable sexual equipment? Not that that would stop particularly interested ladies... Or gentlemen. Then again, he has fingers and a tongue...

"I decided not to do that. Sexual intimacy is a significant part of tamaranean culture, and we are trying to maintain a friendly social relationship."

I frown deeper.

"But you don't have genitals or.. erogenous zones. Or a sex drive."
I know, right? He must be a cunning linguist, then, or have magic fingers. :p

"No, but I have telepathy. I am not quite as skilled at telepathic illusion as the g-gnomes, but at close range it can be quite convincing. Matching the display to the desires of my paramour is an interesting intellectual challenge, and if I am successful engenders a positive association which is helpful to our ongoing habitation of their planet."

"Well… Ah… As long as you're happy."
...Okay, that's one way to leave the ladies (or lads) satisfied. And no risk of biological transfer...

"I am as happy as I am capable of being. I have productive work that challenges me while also having observable achievement milestones. I want for little that my cluster cannot provide."

Hm. As far as I've been able to tell, g-goblins are perfectly happy to go almost indefinitely without anyone to talk to. But it… Seems…
Environment seems to play a big part in their development. Dubbilex is a scientist through and through. Ixy is a diplomat (likely from having to smooth feathers ruffled by Grayven...) This guy? Stoic leader.

"You're alright with no other individual sophonts to talk to? Really?"

He looks out across the field.

"Individuality is a burden I bear because someone must. I have no great love for my own thoughts. I prefer to spend my time dissolved in the cluster, using my greater creative capacity to assist others."
Well, that's one way to carry on with your solitude.

"Ah. Um, sorry about forcing you out of it."

"This is my burden to bear. Do you require anything else?"
Very interesting fellow.

"Do you?"

He thinks for a moment. "Reclamation has gone well. We have room to expand further. Dubbilex or Ecksey could create another cluster and send it here."
Bonus: It would give him someone to talk to, if he felt the need.

I nod. "I'll pass that on. Have a nice day. Mother Box?"

"Ping."

BOOM!
Pleasant little stop on the road. Now to something more lively, eh?

I step through the boom tube aperture and stroll out onto the command deck of the tamaranean self-defence fleet's main command station. A few members of the command staff look around, but there are enough boom tubes around here that I get more attention than the manner of my ingress does.
So the sharp crack of the tube materialising has become so mundane, it's like the sound of traffic. Could be an issue if they have to deal with other New God forces.

Most of the crew are tamaranean, though a few Euphorians are still around the place. While this is in theory a temporary assignment… Well. I'm pretty sure that Regent Dulak used this opportunity to get rid of the noisiest dissenters, because while a few have made noise about going back 'in a few years', I haven't really noticed any great rush. And I have noticed a smattering of interspecies marriages, and if we assume that tamaraneans are being as formal about their interpersonal relations as they usually are, a far greater number of actual relationships.

These aren't people in any great hurry to get back under the Regent's aegis.
And why would they? Far more personal freedoms out here. :p The smoking hot orange guys and girls are a nice bonus.

I amble over to the officer of the watch, who draws herself up slightly but doesn't leave her station. Good. The.. cybernetic eyes and left arm and the greying hair mark her out as a survivor of the tamaranean's previous fleet. Our… Experience is that those don't make good fleet officers. They tend to struggle with active combat, which given the conditions they endured isn't all that hard to understand. On the other hand, their greater experience makes them good rear echelon officers, though we'll probably replace them all once we've got people who can replace them.
Hopefully offering them the choice of a quite retirement somewhere pleasant on Tamaran, or a teaching position. I'm sure some would enjoy the chance to help shape their successors.

"Prince Grayven."

"Commander Delor. Anything to report?"

"The system is secure. Princess Komand'r strike fleet is near Raggashoon, while the home fleet is exercising. Ship production remains on schedule."
Ah, cleaning up sidequests, now that you have some free time, eh? At least, the ones that aren't time-sensitive (like the Pirate Conference quest OL did.)

Raggashoon will be an interesting test case for how dominant Tamaran can be. With the pirates exterminated, the Spider Guild slaughtered, the Citadel Complex crushed to slag, the Barnx undergoing planetary isolation and societal meltdown and Wombworld burned, there aren't any 'evil' factions left in the area. But that doesn't mean that there aren't any empire-builders trying to fill the vacuum. The Karnans have aligned to the Crown Imperium, but they're in no condition to extend their reach without aid that the Imperium isn't all that eager to give them.
I see the Tamaraneans haven't been wasting time. Must be quite a heady rush, to go from conquered to conquerors. Let's hope they don't make the mistakes their predecessors did.

And so Tamaran has started colonising its neighbours.

It makes sense, really. With all the gordonians did, large areas of Tamaran are actually less hospitable than its most primitive neighbours. Having not sustained a civilisation's rise into space, they have untapped mineral resources which in many places are readily accessible. And in the long term, more room means more tamaraneans. A core population of their new empire that share a species and a culture.
And what of any native populations? Integration into Tamaranean culture, presumably, but how subservient are they being positioned as?

With the more developed places, it's a little trickier. Certainly, they're used to being under someone's thumb. But there's still the question of how to integrate them. They don't have a significant tamaranean population, and their social structures are too different to integrate them into the semi-feudal structure that the tamaraneans use. I suggested a free port model, offering protection under better terms than the Citadel offered in exchange for nominal fealty; most importantly not building up their fleet or claiming other worlds. Komand'r -bless her avaricious little heart- wants something a little more domineering, but I suppose allowing herself to be argued down to my idea wouldn't be a terrible thing.
And I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun convincing her. Though I find myself wondering what Koriand'r's up to.

The work of this generation will be settlement and military expansion. Building up core territory and the strength to protect it. Then with the friendly Crown Imperium ensuring the safety of one border we will be free to begin a program of annexation and conquest in all other directions.

"Good show. Has a crew for the-?"
More Acquisition for the Godhead. Still have to question how well they'll take to ruling, though...

"Grayven."

I turn to face the diminutive Controller, managing a polite smile even as I see her psion acolytes following behind her. I mean, it's nice to see a Maltusian actually take some responsibility for that whole mess but I'd really rather not be in a position where there were any psions on Tamaran.
Huh, I guess that's one way the dust could have settled. These would be some of Grayven's 'How about we not raise them to be amoral science-nerds?' experiment, then.

"Hinon. Something I can do for you?"

"On the contrary; I believe I can do something for you."
Oh, that's never a good sign.

I raise my eyebrows. "I appreciate the offer, but I'm in a relationship at the moment. Not that you're.. unattractive or anything, but I'm inclined to monogamy and you're so short that you rather-."

"Don't be tiresome, Grayven."
"After all, I put that sort of thing behind me long before my... Little nap."

"Okay. What is it?"

"Your… Doppelgänger." She holds out her right hand and creates a construct image of him. "It seems that he was planning on making war on the Reach."
Since Maltus here is not. That would give the local Grayven free reign. Presumably something's nobbled his plans, though.

"A fair target."

"Was planning. He's stopped advancing, and as far as we can tell he's recalling his forces. With boom tube technology he can travel the distance instantly but he needs time to dismantle his infrastructure."
Huh. That does not sound good. Wonder what he ran into that could have caused him to change his mind?

Ah.

"And coming here."
:rolleyes: Well, shit. Looks like there's no escaping the Galactic War thing in any timeline...

"I don't know his mind, but that seems most likely."

I sigh. "Thank you for the warning. I will… Begin making preparations."
Looks like he might have to speed up Tamaran's rebuilding, and the plans to secure Vega. Because I doubt he's got the option of cutting off the head of the beast this time, like he did on Earth-50

I guess we can expect a battle of the Grayvens sometime soon, then. Off-shoot Gordanian fleet versus a rebuilt Tamaran. Bet there'll be some fierce fighting there. Not that I expect it to happen soon. Wonder how the Renegade will handle Grayven-16's oversized penis substitute Planet-Killer Dreadnought...

Last edited:
Ecksey is a diplomat (likely from having to smooth feathers ruffled by Grayven...)

Poor girl.

The amount of feathers she must smooth is endless.

After all, I put that sort of thing behind me long before my... Little nap."

But she did find it pleasant.

Since Maltus here is not.

Actually they are.

It's just that renegade isn't fighting them.

Presumably something's nobbled his plans, though.

Huh. That does not sound good. Wonder what he ran into that could have caused him to change his mind?

I'm thinking that maybe he doesnt like the fact that there's someone using his name, so wants to have words with renegade.

Wonder how the Renegade will handle Grayven-16's oversized penis substitute Planet-Killer Dreadnought...

Zoat once mentioned renegade and his daughter going to the Babylon 5 universe and using Grayven's New God ship.

It does lessen the narrative impact of this Renegade vs. Grayven showdown for me somewhat, even though as others have mentioned there are likely to be differences; Renegade can't use Anti-Life as an attack, surprise or otherwise, anymore, for one thing. I hope he'll reach out to Scott and Barda for assistance. It would be cool to see Karsta in action too. If the Shade's powers work in space, which that lady from Talok should prove that it does, he would be a very useful ally too. Renegade should have an appreciation for the true power of friendship after his MLP experiences, after all, so getting all his allies together for what could very well serve as a test run for fighting Apokaliptian forces (even if Grayven is the only actual New God there).

Too bad he disintegrated Melmoth (I think that's what happened but I don't remember exactly), he could have gotten access to Aurakle, which would probably have been useful for his plans.

I wonder how much horrific physical injury he'll take in this showdown; we all know it's inevitable at this point.

Too bad he disintegrated Melmoth (I think that's what happened but I don't remember exactly), he could have gotten access to Aurakle, which would probably have been useful for his plans

Assuming he didn't find out about her and just put her out of her misery.

Or Melmoth may have just broken her down for parts.

Zoat once mentioned renegade and his daughter going to the Babylon 5 universe and using Grayven's New God ship.
And that was how Grayven's story ended.

All things considered it was a good run, but the First One's aren't a force he can ever stand up to and they don't take kindly to people from other dimensions showing up in their playground.

Can someone remind me how the state of Euphorix and its queen differs in Grayven's verse compared to that of the Illustress?

I can't remember if it was ever mentioned that she was tall, but I just thought that she was like most of the other Controllers.

So both paragon and renegade Hinon look like the Guardians?
Guardians were designed to look like David Ben-Gurion. Hinon looks like his late wife. Only shorter. Controllers don't have a uniform appearence, but most are taller than that.

I mean, that's what I thought I meant to write, anyway. If I've actually written something else then please let me know.
What exactly were you expecting from a God of Conquest? A British God of Conquest, no less?

Zoat used this image when Paragon first saw a Controller.

LegionOSHv3-19-08%2B%2528509x640%2529.jpg

Paragon didn't note that Hinon looked any shorter, and I've definitely been assuming that she was the size of a standard humanoid.
I also remember him using a picture of an elderly woman for Hinon.

Edit:
Further in I see a bier… No, a medical station of some kind. Another Controller lies upon it, motionless. She's also wearing blue and red, not robes but simple trousers and pullover.

Found it! It's the link on 'Controller'.

Last edited:
Guardians were designed to look like David Ben-Gurion. Hinon looks like his late wife. Only shorter. Controllers don't have a uniform appearence, but most are taller than that.
In my head I imagined Hinon looking like a female guardian, but I don't recall if that was due to something in the story or just my head filling in the blanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back