• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

How much contact have you had with gods not of Olympus?"

"Little to none."

I remember him kinda interacting with the Khandaq gods, and later meeting the servants of the Norse gods.

Mm. Pity. The gods of India found a fascinating way to deal with their titans, though I doubt that you'd appreciate it."

So I was right that other pantheons had their own Titans.

something far easier then taking

'than taking'

"It pales in comparison. How many shades do you think had the wherewithal to actually choose reincarnation? Besides, Erebos doesn't make value judgements about the moral quality of a person's life. Any shade being reincarnated would be reborn as a human, and the Waters of Lethe expunge all memory. It isn't part of the system and it wasn't planned

Yeah, in Hinduism you're reincarnated ijna life that can reflect your actions during a previous life, like being reincarnated in a rich family for leading a good life in the previous one or in a poor family for not being moral enough.

You can also be reincarnated into an animal as punishment.

Plus it may be possible to remember previous lives.

She shrugs awkwardly. "If you're not all about raw power, it's not all that great a deal. You have to give up a lot, and there're a tonne of responsibilities…"

"You couldn't be bothered to put the work in

Ahh, laziness.

Eris fidgets awkwardly. "Three and a… Half

Big baby.

"No. He's got Metis stuck in his head. In theory she should give him wisdom."

"Is he just not listening, or..?"

The tiny child-goddess rolls her eyes. "I don't know. I was already down here by the time that happened

It's possible that he hasn't...ahhh...properly...digested...her.

"I see. That's why he's keeping the ones in Tartarus there, isn't it? So he can use their power in full

You did once speculate that he could use all of them.

"I expected, but thank you for confirming. Can-"

I turn around, and-. Canis has taken jars, their contents and their shelving and arranged them to form the image of himself and Brut mid-leap.

"-is-?"

"This is art attack!"

This is why you don't leave him alone!

That link takes me back. I'm guessing Canis isn't impressed by the show?

"This is false advertising! Sure, there was *some* art, but there was barely any attacks! I could do better than this dreck!"

Cue Canis creating a TV show where he fights in gladiatorial combat while pulling a Bob Ross and painting the fight as it happens.

I'm getting Scion 1e vibes from this.

Yeah, me too.

Fir those that don't know, Scion was a game in which Titans, gods and the children of gods, scions, fought.

The Titans were various creatures that the gods beat in their mythology, like Ymir, Tiamat etc.

"This is false advertising! Sure, there was *some* art, but there was barely any attacks! I could do better than this dreck

I'm guessing he would like them to stab others with paintbrushes or make them choke on clay.

Cue Canis creating a TV show where he fights in gladiatorial combat while pulling a Bob Ross and painting the fight as it happens

I'm thinking that he'll try to use their blood to paint some image.

Maybe he'll do it during the fight and try to make some abstract work, or at the end he'll paint what he felt during the fight.

"Since they could not take the titan's power into themselves, they broke them down gradually to create a system. At one end, it is tethered by the titans. At the other, by the souls of mortal creatures, undergoing a constant cycle of life, death and rebirth. The gods would then draw power from the system, something far easier than taking power from the Dream. And less likely to render the one doing it malleable."
So basically freeing the Titan's would fuck over every group but those who worship the Silver City.

She makes an amused noise. "If I had to select the person with the greatest chance of defeating him in the entire Hellenic mythos…"

I wait a moment.

"Yes?"

"I'd bet on you. But not with very much money

It's funny that he totally counts as being part of the Hellenic Mythos on this Earth.

Yeah, me too.

Fir those that don't know, Scion was a game in which Titans, gods and the children of gods, scions, fought.

The Titans were various creatures that the gods beat in their mythology, like Ymir, Tiamat etc.
Actually, in 1ed the Titans were Elemental Planes like Fire, Darkness or Chaos, and the gods fought their avatars and spawns who had their own goals and motivations.

Then 2ed, and the titans became just gods hostile to the current leading pantheons. No originality

27th October 2012
07:03 GMT +3

"His power comes from the titan Aether? Where is it?" I mean, the only place-. "Is it in Olympus itself? Because the realm of the gods isn't at the literal peak of the mountain."

"No. That was at the start of the war. Zeus had nothing like the power to bind a titan like Aether." She looks thoughtful. "How much contact have you had with gods not of Olympus?"
Probably not as much as he should have. Perhaps in future he'll cultivate contacts in other pantheons. And let the lady finish her exposition before you start in on the questions, OL. Bad form to interrupt.

"Little to none."

"Mm. Pity. The gods of India found a fascinating way to deal with their titans, though I doubt that you'd appreciate it."
Is it tied to the great wheel of reincarnation? ...It totally is, isn't it?

"Why not?"

"Since they could not take the titan's power into themselves, they broke them down gradually to create a system. At one end, it is tethered by the titans. At the other, by the souls of mortal creatures, undergoing a constant cycle of life, death and rebirth. The gods would then draw power from the system, something far easier than taking power from the Dream. And less likely to render the one doing it malleable."
Sneaky, sneaky, Devas. I wonder which of them came up with the idea...

"Erebos allows reincarnation."

"It pales in comparison. How many shades do you think had the wherewithal to actually choose reincarnation? Besides, Erebos doesn't make value judgements about the moral quality of a person's life. Any shade being reincarnated would be reborn as a human, and the Waters of Lethe expunge all memory. It isn't part of the system and it wasn't planned."
Returning to the living world, when they can spend eternity in paradise? Or at least in Erebos, if they weren't lucky or pious enough to earn a spot in Elysium.

"Okay, so..?"

She rolls her eyes dismissively. "Zeus was able to steal tiny amounts of Aether's power for himself, growing steadily stronger and stronger as Aether weakened. In the end, the conscious mind that was Aether collapsed back into the raw magic of the Dream, with Zeus having captured only a tiny fragment of him. But that was enough for him to rise in power and prominence."
Goes to explain why he's such a minor aspect of the mythos.

"How did he work out how to do that? Zeus never struck me-"

She gives me an unimpressed look.
Would you expect the farmer to forge his own tools if he had a blacksmith handy?

"-as-. You did it."

"There are limits to what the spell I devised can achieve. And I felt that having Zeus risk himself was better than taking the risk myself. He had the drive…"
And what a drive it was, eh?

I turn to Eris.

"So..?"
Since some versions of myths list her amongst the greater powers, as a daughter of Nyx, rather than the Olympians.

She slumps. "No. I wasn't born until after it was all over, remember? Or I'd totally have mainlined a chaos titan."

"Who got the chaos titans? Or chaos titan?"
Only distinct aspect of Chaos is the Primordial Chaos. Or the 'Eris, Daughter of Nyx' version (representing chaos as 'strife'.) That would be peculiar. But entirely in character for this Eris.

"Chaos, duh. Punched a hole between parallel universes and made it their own thing."

I frown, curiously. "Why didn't you ever become a Lord of Chaos?"
Bizarrely, the Lords are almost orderly in their organisation, at least in this fic.

She shrugs awkwardly. "If you're not all about raw power, it's not all that great a deal. You have to give up a lot, and there're a tonne of responsibilities…"

"You couldn't be bothered to put the work in."
Heh. Also entirely in character of her.

"It didn't offer me anything I wanted! I actually kinda like being a goddess, and there wasn't anything I wanted to do that needed more power."

"'Kinda' like?"
Well, when you've got the reputation she has (remember the Trojan War? Ultimately her fault.) it's not like people are flocking to your temples.

"It's a lot less fun without worshippers, but that's fixed now." She grins, reaching up to pat me on the head. "Good work, Chaos Prophet."

"Didn't you have no worshippers for about two thousand years? And assuming that you're about as old as Hephaestus, you're only four thousand years old."
Well, this version of her. Depending on the wibbly-wobbly interactions of mythology and the Dreaming.

Eris fidgets awkwardly. "Three and a… Half. But I had other worshippers. There's always someone who wants to buck the system."

"Okay, so-" I look back at Hecate and-. She's ancient, paper-thin skin stretched across fragile bones, hair thin and dress just a sheet bound with a broach. "-that was your maiden form."
Nah, she's just messing with you, OL. It's no fun changing if you're expecting it.

"N-o, yo-u're assuming-"

I sigh, put my hands over my eyes and then turn in a circle. When I get back I'm looking at a child.
...But sometimes, you just got to play along with their quirks.

"-that I'm limited to a trinity of forms, when really I can look like anything I want."

"Lady Hecate, you can look like whoever you want. But if we return to the issue, Zeus… Doesn't have a currently alive titan he's drawing power from in the way Hades does Erebos?"
Bit dangerous, really. Sure, Hades has his Titan locked down, and Poseidon doesn't really get out enough to worry...

"No. He's got Metis stuck in his head. In theory she should give him wisdom."

"Is he just not listening, or..?"
Did he ever? Unless she took up residence in his lower head...

The tiny child-goddess rolls her eyes. "I don't know. I was already down here by the time that happened."

"I see. That's why he's keeping the ones in Tartarus there, isn't it? So he can use their power in full."
...A tiny amount from each, giving him vastly more than a single titan alone could provide? Sneaky.

"Not quite. He can't take power from Tartarus quite as easily as Hades can Erebos. But that is almost certainly why they're there." She sniffs. "Not that he can use all that power as things are."

I nod. "So that's quite a lot of power."
And when you've got the rest of the pantheon cowed into submission, there's really no need to exercise that power...

"Quite a lot of power and quite a lot of different abilities he can use if he puts his mind to it." She sniffs. "Not that I expect that he would. Still, I'm not sure where you'll find anyone who can fight him."

"No one comes to mind?"
Any of his children might be high on that list. Prophecies and all that.

She makes an amused noise. "If I had to select the person with the greatest chance of defeating him in the entire Hellenic mythos…"

I wait a moment.
Ah, the anticiii-....

"Yes?"

"I'd bet on you. But not with very much money."
...-pation! Huh. Saying what he wants to hear, or simply summing up the chance of beating Zeus as 'long to none'...

"I assume that you still know the spell for stealing from or binding a titan?"

"It's more complex than just casting a spell. They tend to fight back. But yes, I do know it. Why?"
...Can it be modified to affect a God?

"Nothing yet. I'm just gathering information. Would you be willing to share it?"

"It's an interesting spell to cast. If you could find a situation for it, I would cast it for a trivial price."
Because a Deity of magic would find the more complex spells more interesting, eh? Don't bother waking her up for anything less than a dozen chanting assistants, a blood sacrifice and three days of casting time? :D Or does she prefer the kind that needs a few sticks and four CCs of mouse blood?

"I appreciate that, thank you. And there's no one in the mythos who could fight Zeus?"

"Not presently. And if you're thinking about using the Tartarian prisoners to boost Hades or Melinoë, I will tell you now that Zeus will feel it and stop you."
Well, thanks in advance for the warning. I'm sure he would have considered trying that, otherwise.

"I expected, but thank you for confirming. Can-"

I turn around, and-. Canis has taken jars, their contents and their shelving and arranged them to form the image of himself and Brut mid-leap.
:rolleyes: Well, he's got to occupy himself somehow, with all this shop talk.

<facepalm> Gods-dammit, Canis...

I wonder how annoyed she'll be that he messed up her sorting system. Assuming she even had one. And at least OL's been warned off messing with Zeus' power sources. Perhaps he'll even take that advice... ;) Hopefully he'll at least explore other options. Like freeing Metis, though does anyone want a Zeus without her wisdom internalised?

Last edited:
Bizarrely, the Lords are almost orderly in their organisation, at least in this fic.

Well it makes sense for the Order ones, and I guess it would be strange for chaotic beings to be orderly, so that's why the chaos ones are doing it.

Did he ever? Unless she took up residence in his lower head...

You know, that could potentially explain why he's so irresponsible with all the children he sired, even though one if them may overthrow him.

Metis is basicallymanipulating him to keep having children and she hopes that one of them will get rid of him.

And this would also fit with the prophecy, since she would help bring that child into existence.

Of course the other explanation is that he's an idiot or he isn't threatened by his other kids since they weren't prophesied to overthrow him.

facepalm> Gods-dammit, Canis.

Did you expect him to do something good?o_O

? (And a surprisingly early post, Mr Zoat. Housesitting again?

Not really.

He usually posts around this time.

I can understand the logic with 2e. With the sheer scope of mythologies across, uhhh... the entire world you'd have to twist some of them into pretzels to try to make them fit the cosmology established in 1e. Still, even with that they were just so much cooler in 1e.

I will say that I liked the potential of the mortal world in 2e though. A setting where the mythological isn't hidden and has been around over the course of history could lead to some fun stuff.

Was it? No? House sitting would probably make me post later, not earlier.
Huh. Yesterday's post was at 4:00pm my time, today's was 3:08pm (though Friday's posting at 4:00pm my time is probably more representative...) Daylight Savings time, I guess? I'll have to keep an eye out earlier, then, instead of gaming.

Last edited:
Had a thought, the spell used to boast Zeus' power is potentially a breach in the security of the Titan's prison. Hasn't he just ordered Diana to find and seal all such weaknesses?

The possibility that Zeus (and Métis in shotgun) blowing off steam with sex being the only way Zeus has stayed sane would be terrific. Métis in his head hates him and wants to make him suffer or go crazy. She distracts him from doing anything worthwhile with his life or from silencing her for good. And the only thing that makes her stop for a bit is their shared pleasure…

I could see Zeus being a little bit of an interesting character, rather than a disappointing antagonist.

"How much contact have you had with gods not of Olympus?"

"Little to none."
For a guy who encourages shopping around for mythologies it is weird how he never looked the other ones up just to compare them and see what they could offer, just settling for Eris since she was the easiest to find due to connection to Diana I guess.

Any knave with a quick wrist can paint with blood. Artistry is making it spray as you intend."

That kinda what I meant here:

he'll do it during the fight and try to make some abstract work

Huh. Yesterday's post was at 4:00pm my time, today's was 3:08pm (though Friday's posting at 4:00pm my time is probably more representative...) Daylight Savings time, I guess? I'll have to keep an eye out earlier, then, instead of gaming.

Last night was also the weekend, and he tends to post much later during weekends.

Hey! Paul! Do you who I would bet on in a fight against Zeus? John Bloody Constantine your not-so-newly minted Lord of Chaos, hell if he didn't pass off being a lord of order to other John what was his name again? and managed to synergize he'd probably have better odds than most. I mean I wouldn't bet on him in a straight fight but.

Well it makes sense for the Order ones, and I guess it would be strange for chaotic beings to be orderly, so that's why the chaos ones are doing it
That would be absurd.

Hey! Paul! Do you who I would bet on in a fight against Zeus? John Bloody Constantine your not-so-newly minted Lord of Chaos, hell if he didn't pass off being a lord of order to other John what was his name again? and managed to synergize he'd probably have better odds than most. I mean I wouldn't bet on him in a straight fight but.

That would be absurd.

Paul would first have to find Constantine.

And other John's name is John Quinn.

And while it may be absurd for Mordru, it may not be so absurd for the rest.

Vaermina response.

The idea of pretty much all prophecies is that they can not be avoided. So if something can not be avoided, then a person must simply twist that to their advantage. Am I fated to lose against my foe? Then I will be the one to choose where, when, in what manner, and at what cost. If a person is smart enough, they will even find a way to benefit from the situation. Of course, sometimes, a prophecy will recognize the metagaming, and punish the person for it.

In Greek Prophecy it will always recognize the metagaming. Because the point is that Fate trumps even the gods. You cant avoid it. You cant manipulate it. At best you can accept it as it is and take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back