• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I really like this development of Nabu. His motivation's a bit pathetic, but I still get it and feel a little sorry for him, even if I probably shouldn't.

Thank you, corrected.
I did NOT expect Nabu to join up.
He's not the him past-him thought he could be.
New Superman is kind of a cute show so far. Though I think Lois is meant to be some form of Southeast or East Asian. I feel like when they racebend her, it's usually in an Asian direction.
Without looking it up, identify these two well known DC characters from their New Superman versions.
F0fQTL5aUAEDND2
LeslieWillis.png

Give it your best shot.
I'm a little confused here. I thought Nabu becoming a Lord of Order resulted in him being a helmet (that always seemed like a major design flaw in the ascension). He had an actual body as Lord of Order once upon a time?
He had a form in the Plane of Order.
The voice actress is Korean American.

Considering Jimmy is voiced by an African American, you're probably right.
Oh, for goodness sake. They're not playing themselves with their own face! It's an animation! The characters don't need to be the same ethnic group as the voice actor! That only matters in live action!

Last edited:
Yes, I'm already aware of Deathstroke being turned into an anime prettyboy.

On a DC thread I made the joke "I'm a Korean War veteran, why won't anyone give me my senior citizen discount?"

If they had the urge to turn anyone into an anime pretty boy, it should have been Deadshot. The man used to shoot people in a top hat for crying out loud.

Yes, I'm already aware of Deathstroke being turned into an anime prettyboy.

On a DC thread I made the joke "I'm a Korean War veteran, why won't anyone give me my senior citizen discount?"

If they had the urge to turn anyone into an anime pretty boy, it should have been Deadshot. The man used to shoot people in a top hat for crying out loud.

My first instinct was also Deadshot. The one eye covered by hair fits the sniper angle from a character design standpoint.

I haven't the foggiest about the second image.

Wait a minute. Stsword, my friend, you're telling me that that's Deathstroke?! Is this a DC anime? What did he learn in Korea, to be in a Boy Band?

Well "Agent Slade," but yeah, the cartoon does seem to have some anime influence. The S Shield is effectively a temporary power up ala Dragon Ball for example.

You'll have to wait for the Suicide Squad Isekai for full on DC anime though.

My first instinct was also Deadshot. The one eye covered by hair fits the sniper angle from a character design standpoint.

I haven't the foggiest about the second image.

Leslie Willis aka Livewire.

Instead of a professionally obnoxious radio shock jock she's a mercenary thief, so yeah, an in name only adaptation.

Can I just say I'm really enjoying this arc and want to see more of the Nabu Grayven team up?

Well, people already said the answers. But even if they hadn't, I couldn't answer the question in good faith because I'd already seen the first two episodes and already knew who they were.

Thank you, corrected.

He's not the him past-him thought he could be.

Without looking it up, identify these two well known DC characters from their New Superman versions.
F0fQTL5aUAEDND2
LeslieWillis.png

Give it your best shot.

He had a form in the Plane of Order.

Oh, for goodness sake. They're not playing themselves with their own face! It's an animation! The characters don't need to be the same ethnic group as the voice actor! That only matters in live action!

Deathstroke and Livewire?

Did you cheat? If not, how the heck did you tell?

Deathstroke was easy because of the white hair covering one of his eyes. That and the colors of his outfit scream 'Deathstroke'. Plus what is clearly Amanda Waller in the background made me certain.

Livewire I guessed mainly because of the shitty haircut reminded me of her and the generally unpleasant vibe from her. IIRC, she was already kind of a bitch before becoming a supervillain.

Deathstroke was easy because of the white hair covering one of his eyes. That and the colors of his outfit scream 'Deathstroke'. Plus what is clearly Amanda Waller in the background made me certain.

Livewire I guessed mainly because of the shitty haircut reminded me of her and the generally unpleasant vibe from her. IIRC, she was already kind of a bitch before becoming a supervillain.

I feel like you arrived at the right answers through the wrong methods there.

That Deathstroke, for example, looks more like a pretty boy agent of A.R.G.U.S or Checkmate, and isn't usually associated with Amanda Waller.

And I can't see how you equate that Livewire, or where do you see the resemblance, with this:

FtjmdWyXsAI-Q81

and shove the lower ones into

'shoves'

I nod. "Alright then. So what's Ahri'ahn up to?"

"World domination. Naturally

Naturally.

That went far better than I thought it would. Also, that's an interesting explanation for Nabu's actions. Considering Ahri'ahn is going for the classic world domination play, I hope Atlantis won't receive too big a sanction after all of this is over.

Seeing as they live in a world where mind control is a thing, it's possible that there are laws that allow victims of it to not be held accountable for their actions during their enslavement, so they may be able to avoid sanctions.

What do you think this is, the 2010s? I mean, they can tweak the characters somewhat from the voice actors in ways that don't matter (and will then have to apologize in 10 years if it turns out that whatever they tweaked is a new representational thing), but I'm okay looking at this cast list and making the default assumption that they chose voice actors to match the characters or vice versa.

(Okay, Supergirl is an outlier, but I assume the rule is that anyone can play white vanilla characters.)

I feel like you arrived at the right answers through the wrong methods there.

That Deathstroke, for example, looks more like a pretty boy agent of A.R.G.U.S or Checkmate, and isn't usually associated with Amanda Waller.

And I can't see how you equate that Livewire, or where do you see the resemblance, with this:

FtjmdWyXsAI-Q81

I'm told my brain goes through weird pathways to arrive at the same conclusions as everyone else.

My thought process was 'if they're already giving Lois Lane a pixie cut and tan-skin, then just generally assume that the other redesigns are going to only be vaguely similar or not at all or evocative of modern weeb design sensibilities'.

While I have not actually seen the show, it does help that I knew Deathstroke and Livewire were already in it via osmosis beforehand. I just didn't know what they looked like.

Accents exist. You can have someone with the wrong accent fake it, and the difference between a Korean-American accent and a Japanese-, Taiwanese-, or Mainland-city-Chinese-American accent will be pretty subtle even for an Asian-American to pick up, but it's there. Why fake it?

Did you cheat? If not, how the heck did you tell?
Deathstroke is obvious. That was my first guess and I rejected it as "not changed enough", he still looks basically the same and I was assuming that they'd have to be a big difference to annoy purists. It does help that Waller is in the background and he's looking like a strategist for approximately-suicide-squad, but that's obviously Deathstroke.

Deathstroke is obvious. That was my first guess and I rejected it as "not changed enough", he still looks basically the same and I was assuming that they'd have to be a big difference to annoy purists. It does help that Waller is in the background and he's looking like a strategist for approximately-suicide-squad, but that's obviously Deathstroke.
Is this a recent thing? Because I can't remember comic Deathstroke ever working for or with Waller.

Is this a recent thing? Because I can't remember comic Deathstroke ever working for or with Waller.

Not sure if there was a previous instance of it happening in some other media, though it's not that weird that a highly skilled soldier with ties to a super soldier program would work for a group where Waller was present.

I'm not sure if this Slade is a super soldier or if he's even called Deathstroke since this show is about Superman's early forays in superheroics, so even some villains may lack some of their comic characteristics like names, powers or personalities at the beginning and only develop them at a later time as the show progresses.

It's not the first time a show would change some things from the comics.

Heck, they sometimes have to change it since the original may not make sense to use in the new piece of work.

They might even change in the same medium.

In Marvel they have changed who abducted Tony Stark from communists to, criminal groups, to Middle Eastern terrorists because as some of those groups fell apart it wouldn't make much sense to use them anymore.

There's also what year Captain America was thawed out changing etc.

If you play yourself is not even acting, is just being yourself.

Not necessarily.

Actors have played fictionalized versions of themselves that don't have much of their real personality.

One of the episodes of the new Always Sunny season had Aaran Paul play himself as very Dennis-like and being a psychological/emotional abuser towards Bryan Cranston.

Plus animators can make their creations look like the voice actor, but not be like them.

Am I missing why Nabu had to become a helmet when he became a Lord of Order and Klarion got to be a real boy when he became Lord of Chaos?

Nabu may have thought that having a body was disorderly.

The flesh craves things that can lead to actions that may be considered chaoticand he wanted to be purely orderly and got rid of it.

ship of theseus paradox naval gazing
I was going to correct this to "navel gazing". (Okay, no, I wasn't; I wouldn't have thought it worth highlighting a correction for a non-story post.)

Then I realized we're looking at a ship metaphor. Very well, you may have your naval gazing.

Accents exist. You can have someone with the wrong accent fake it, and the difference between a Korean-American accent and a Japanese-, Taiwanese-, or Mainland-city-Chinese-American accent will be pretty subtle even for an Asian-American to pick up, but it's there. Why fake it?
It's not necessarily even THAT subtle. Distinguishing between the various Chinese accents is a bit subtle for the uninitiated, and distinguishing between Japanese and Korean likewise, but distinguishing between Chinese and Japanese or Korean isn't particularly hard.

So what is going on is Nabu addicted to having a physical body and won't admit it or something else?

So what is going on is Nabu addicted to having a physical body and won't admit it or something else?

he was addicted to it, but couldn't have that and order OP power without dying, and he wanted both, so dream magic with Ahriman. Now that he was forced to confront it he says he'll help kill Ahriman then isolate himself to get over his perverse need to breath and touch things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back