• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
[X] "Yes." You take the card. "Thank you." You could just go, and no one would have to know you were ever here.

[X] "Yes." You take the card. "Thank you." You could just go, and no one would have to know you were ever here.

Star City- July 4, 10:49 PDT

Star City-
July 4, 10:49 PDT

Wolfram_and_Hart.jpg

On the back is a simple number. 1-800-555-6666, and a list of addresses for each of the listed branches.

"What if I want to contact you without a phone?" You ask the lawyer.

"We're in the phone book, any of those cities, or you could search for us online."

You pause for a second and look down at the woman's picture. She does look an awful lot like you.

"Don't mess with her, okay? If you do that, we're done." You pause for a moment and think of the girl who almost saved you, but it would be too risky to see her again.

"I believe we are almost done here, Ms. Littleton. Now, remember to be honest. You were here to interview a couple who wished to remain anonymous. You were very confused and think you hit your head a bit when you were saved from danger by the brave miss Spencer Smith, but you are sure you will be fine once you lie down a bit and have no need to go to the hospital. You remember a lot of shouting from Icicle Jr. as he held you hostage, but you cannot remember specifics. Now repeat what I said back to me..."

The conversation is quick. You have always been a good actress, and the lines are easy enough. You put on a troubled, out of it expression on your face and are out of the station in two and a half hours.

Star City-
July 4, 13:33 PDT

Icicle Junior's little act of domestic terrorism hadn't even made the national news outside of a brief headline of a set of ice villains launching coordinated attacks around the country. Gotham City was the only one with fatalities, according to the coffee shop buzz. Two amazingly pretty blondes dressed expensively enough for you to hate them are discussing the attacks in serious towns.

"Of course it was coordinated with him. He was trying to blot out the sun. It was related. Who else is going to thrive in the cold? They were going to be his followers and help him rule the world." The quiet, firm, gentle voice was without a hint of doubt.

"I don't think so. None of the ice villains are even magical. A pantheon of scientists to restart, maybe, but why send them for an attack then instead of building up. You don't last this long and get the Amulet of Aten without being smart." This one was softer, drinking from a much larger cup of coffee and sounding like this was not her first large cup.

Someone had tried to black out the sun while you were answering questions from people who thought a college degree and a few decades of experience made them forces to be reckoned with. You sip the coffee thoughtfully, you'll need more money soon. Right now a hotel is probably not even a good idea, and doing anything that could draw attention today is just asking for trouble.

Wolfram and Hart's card is in your pocket, but that is not something you should be burning so soon.

Five years ago a discussion of current events would not have touched on the Justice League. Now that was nearly impossible.

"Alicia, please, this was an apocalypse play like Braniac or the L.A. thing. This was a kill everyone one-oh-one, not a world conquest bid." You people watch silently, examining body language. You had done this as long as you could remember, peering into other families, other daughters, other lives.

"No one that crazy would have lasted this long. Believe me, it doesn't work that way." What was apparently Alicia leaned towards the other woman, and you noticed not-Alicia shrink back just a bit.

"Damn it, sorry, buzz time," She lifts up a phone. "Ah, just who I wanted to hear from. Wait, you're what? No, no, don't hang up on me young lady..."

You carefully move back to your frappé with strawberries and don't even notice Alicia taking a seat next to you.

"Do you come here often?" You wonder briefly if you are being hit on. Seconds later her hands are folded neatly on the table and you spy a neat, simple wedding ring.

"No, I'm just visiting, actually." You give her a soft smile.

"Me too. We go way back," Alicia gestured to the apparently panicked woman who is talking fast enough to draw stares. "I'm so sorry I bothered you, but you wouldn't believe some of the things that happen in this city. I just wanted to make sure you seemed alright." You can't help but laugh.

"I'm not going to rob you or anything. I wouldn't want to miss the flight home." She chuckles softly, and it sounds just a little fake.

"We're going, now." Alicia's friend puts a hand on her shoulder and gestures at the bathroom. "Bridezilla is going nuts right now. Something she is very clear is not cold feet. I think Claire's not picking up? I don't know, I could barely figure out what was going on over the phone."

"It was nice meeting you..." You call after them as they disappear into the bathroom. You finish off your frappe, wash it down with a cherry coke with lime, and leave a tip that you can't convince yourself is big enough out on the table as you think over the issue of money.

It's several minutes before you realize the women had left a purse in a seat next to you. The purse is expensive in a way that screams "they won't miss it" and a nice, tempting smartphone is in your line of sight. A quick move through the bathroom reveals they must have slipped out without you noticing.

Interesting.

[X] You take out the phone and swipe it, revealing a complete lack of password protection. You head to her recent calls and notice an "IICE-Husband" taking up half her recent calls, all of them incoming. Time to tell someone about a lost phone.

[X] You put the purse over your arm and walk out of the shop with a smile. There had to be a pawn shop or something nearby, probably cash in the purse, maybe credit cards? That was one problem solved. All you had to do was take care of the phone.

[X] It would be best if no one remembered you were here. You slip out and are on your way to absolutely nowhere. There is a freedom in that.

[X] You put the purse over your arm and walk out of the shop with a smile. There had to be a pawn shop or something nearby, probably cash in the purse, maybe credit cards? That was one problem solved. All you had to do was take care of the phone.

[X] You take out the phone and swipe it, revealing a complete lack of password protection. You head to her recent calls and notice an "IICE-Husband" taking up half her recent calls, all of them incoming. Time to tell someone about a lost phone.

Star City- July 4, 18:02 PDT

Star City-
July 4, 18:02 PDT

$43.03 in cash, one expensive bracelet and small bag of groceries paid for with a credit card, and two small ornate lead boxes containing something that looked like a blue college graduation ring and what looked like a homemade necklace of blue beads, little metal beads, and five small red gems.

You felt mildly guilty, looking at the low end jewelry, but you couldn't think of a way to get them back to Alicia without running a risk. Maybe you will just leave them somewhere and hope they get back to her. You pocket them for now.

That was the haul, outside of the phone and bag, which together were probably worth a good deal more than the bracelet hidden in your pocket.

Tomorrow you would pawn the necklace and the bag, then buy a bus ticket in cash, heading north. You had been finding places that paid cash for shady things like this almost as long as you could remember.

In the alley behind the hotel you kneel down and focus on the street, making it unfold, part itself for just long enough to slip the items you got, the cash, and a few personal effects into the hole. Once you are all done the only sign of what you did is just a little more loose dirt in an already dirty alleyway.

North was good. Up to Canada, maybe Alaska, or just Washington or Oregon. It didn't really matter, just somewhere nice and out of the way. You were going somewhere safe from your old "friends" and the police and those assholes back home. Somewhere where you were just the girl down the street, or maybe out in a cabin.

You had fallen a long way from last year.

The room has a Bible and an issue of the Star City Register from last January. The cover story is a band of criminals who had attacked the local police precinct. The level of vagueness in how they were stopped reminds you of some headlines you had read back in New Mexico, which makes you smile. Superheroes had touched down, but no one involved had wanted to say it. Maybe supervillains instead? Green Arrow and Speedy had been out for years in Star City, but maybe there was something about the encounter that made no one want to admit they had helped. Perhaps it was just a rival gang that had saved the day and a less honest press or police department than Boston.

You are into the paper's strangely extensive society pages and bored with speculation of Oliver Queen's possibly cheating on his wife with a reporter from Kansas (the paper apparently had decided Oliver was secretly gay due to not yet having had children, which struck you as gross on a number of levels) before you hear a thud outside and look out your window into the back alley.

''...and we're stuck here while the League is off ignoring us," The voice is worryingly familiar and right out your window, not taking any care to be quiet. Green Arrow and Speedy could always be quiet when they wanted to be. You risk a glance outside, and it is a smaller figure besides Speedy who seems to have failed her jump off the roof. Speedy is helping her up and she is dusting herself off.

"Why did you think roof running was better than taking a cab?" The smaller figure is young, female, and sounds very annoyed.

"You told me you wanted training. This is training." Speedy looks away, ignoring her. "Speedy to Watchtower, we are at the last known GPS point." GPS? You'd turned the phone completely off two blocks from the coffee shop.

You move in, take the jewelry out of your pocket, and put your hand over the floor, letting it melt into the faux-wood until there is no trace of it.

There were always stories of superheroes leaping into the pettiest of shit. Superman, back when he was The Blur, had broken steroid rings and fences. Red Witch had spent a year smashing US drug rings trying to bleed out the Cartels. But of all the dumb luck...

There's a huge screeching outside. Looking out you see Speedy and his companion standing back, and catch a view of his companion. Brown hair, wearing a hoodie and domino mask along with a strange backpack with a rope swinging from it. You didn't recognize New Girl. The crash had come from Speedy shooting down a fire escape for some reason. You can't hear them from this distance, but Speedy and New Girl appear to be arguing heatedly.

You head back and head down the hall, into the bathroom. Not even having a bathroom in your room seemed weird, but you were not in a position to be picky. Hopefully they would leave while you waited in the bathroom stall.

You see a silhouette in the green glass window when you get out of the stall fifteen minutes after you get in. Too much longer would be suspicious by itself. Leaving through the window would definitely be a bad idea with someone watching. Speedy is alone, leaning against the wall when you get out,

"Twice in one day, ma'am. I don't believe we've been formally introduced. May I ask your name?"

[X] "It's (write in), sir." Just get through this. Just get through this and run.

[X] "It's..." You can't afford to get caught now.

Subvotes:

-[X] You pull out a trick you haven't used in a while, and walk past him as he stares at where you were, seeing a fidgety, confused young woman and very much not seeing that woman walking away.
-[X] You raise your hand and and step forward, smiling, as you start talking. His bow collapses, and a moment later you're hitting him in the head before he has time to react.

[X] "It's Ms. Littleton. Do you mind if I call my lawyer?" You give Speedy a smile. Cashing in that favor so soon was bad, but better than being alone for this.

OP Edited
OP Edited:

Author's Note: This quest is not your usual or standard game. It is set in an alternate universe of the Earth 16 DC Universe (aka Young Justice, the television series). A core premise of the game is that it is heavy on the mystery. The details of the protagonist and the universe itself, as well as the backstories, desires, and aims of those within are not immediately revealed. As the game progresses one of the goals of you the players will be to unravel the mystery surrounding everything. In this way I hope to keep the narrative original and interactive in a way that cannot be easily metagamed, contrary to the majority of similar quests.

-[X] You raise your hand and and step forward, smiling, as you start talking. His bow collapses, and a moment later you're hitting him in the head before he has time to react.

Last edited:

Last edited:
-[X] You pull out a trick you haven't used in a while, and walk past him as he stares at where you were, seeing a fidgety, confused young woman and very much not seeing that woman walking away.

[X] "It's Alice, sir." Just get through this. Just get through this and run.

I got a little confused because Xicree picked the vote where we talk, but then a subvote for can't get caught. I'm not sure what that means, and I even got fooled when I copypastaed his vote lazily agreeing with the "trick" plan.

Xicree & Karnven, are you trying to talk it out, but trick if not talking wins, or just trick?

If you are going to fuck with a hero you really ought to smash him in the face as hard as possible, and as YJ consistently shows the archer heroes are basically useless without their bows. They stop being peak humans and just lose.

I honestly have no plan when I'm voting for this quest. I just pick whatever seems like it will lead to more violence in the short term.

I just really want to beat up Speedy. His characterization in Young Justice was of a character who really needs a good smacking.

Last ed

Voting closed. Looks like we're going with violence.

Vote tally:
##### 1.1.1
[X] It's... You can't afford to get caught now.
No. of votes: 6
Xicree, DeAnno, mc2rpg, Delcer, Ct613hulu, Biigoh
No. of votes: 2
Malcolmo, Nai
[X] It's Alice, sir. Just get through this. Just get through this and run.
No. of votes: 1
Karnven

Star City- July 4, 18:21 PDT

Star City-
July 4, 18:21 PDT

Speedy screams, rolling down with the punch. As he rolls his legs kick out and your legs fall out from under you. Your eyes are on the ceiling as you prepare for a punch or kick that doesn't come. When you get up the bathroom window is breaking from the sound of it.

Archers fighting an unknown super, it makes sense to attack from a distance, especially with your demonstration of close ranged powers. That has to come from training or experience.

Avoid the windows, avoid going out in the open. If he can engage you outside of close range you are probably doomed, powers or no powers. He lost his bow, but the new girl is probably another archer. Probably, didn't Green Arrow have a reputation for picking up strays, help found the League?

You have to know more about Speedy than he knows about you. But his partner could be just about anything. A Skin, a magic user, a robot, any of the freaks in the League or something entirely different.

You need to engage in close quarters, and you need to engage fast. This has to be over before backup is involved. You can't chase him, so you need to lure him in.

The alley is tempting. Narrow, closer quarters, and limited avenues of attack, but there is a good chance he prepared the area. You aren't invincible, and he had time, way too much time for anywhere to be safe. He could have prepared any of the exits, so you need to make your own way out. Taking hostages is dangerous, especially if the police show up.

You don't have enough time to plan this out. There are two logical exits, the alley and the street. The alley could have been prepared, but the street would leave you very open...

It has to be the alley. It's bad, but it keeps leading back to that. You head back into the bathroom and through the window Speedy had ran through. Neither hero is outside as far as you can tell. The fire escape is still down there, of course. Maybe he was trying to prevent a roof escape?

Looking out there, you focus on an image of yourself walking out into the alley, surrounded in flames that don't burn her. Might as well confuse as much as you can. A second later you change the image's face. Make you seem like you're not alone, or shape shifting, that has to be good.

A pressure hits your head a second later. It doesn't hurt, doesn't do anything, but it's scary. You've never felt anything like it. Some kind of strange backup weapon, were you drugged somehow?

"Lower the flames." The voice from earlier, the new girl. Commanding, the pressure increases. "Lower the flames and get on the ground."

Are you dealing with someone who has mind control?

The illusion takes a moment for you to get closer, and lowers the flames, gets down on the ground. An arrow swings forward, not the usual speed, thrown from the looks of it, and a yellow foam erupts out.

You hear a vague shout, and Speedy leaps on top of a nearby dumpster, another arrow in his hand, glaring down at the fake you.

"Talk." The telepath says. "Who are you working for?"

You hold out your hand and make a wave of containment foam that splashes forward. Speedy jumps away too quickly for you to catch him. Your illusion vanishes as your concentration breaks to do that. Speedy is hanging off two arrows embedded into the side of the building.

"Speedy to Watchtower, bypassed containment foam, telekinetic. Possibly telepathic."

Your field of vision is too constrained from in here, but going out in the open is a worse idea. You begin to stretch the "containment foam" over the ground of the alley. It seems to just keep expanding, from the arrow and from where it ruptures, the ground is nearly covered.

Speedy is out of your sight by the time you're done.

He probably doesn't want to touch the ground now, and that should make him vulnerable to a fall if he keeps to the roofs and walls. His telepath probably lacks telekinesis, flight, or similar physical power from the sound of it.

Then an arrow is in front of you, spraying some kind of gas. It takes a second to melt it, but you've been kicked in the head by then. You roll one way and an illusion rolls the other way. Speedy falls onto the illusion, another arrow in his hand spraying the same awful gas in "your" face.

The burst of air that sends the gas into his face causes him to smash his fist down into what he feels is the floor.

You are feeling very woozy at this point, from the kick in the head and maybe the gas and the landing on the floor. That is probably why the electric arrow Speedy throws at you hits. It takes a bit of howling before it falls off.

You love being better than a human sometimes. Most of the time. Speedy is collapsed in the cloud of gas, and you are safe. You think.

You thought he would be a lot weaker without that bow, but he still fell.

You look out into the alley and behind you. No sign of the unknown telepath.

[X] You move forward and stand by Speedy. It is time to take a hostage. You can't trust that you can escape under these conditions.

[X] You rush out into the alley. You can't have an unknown heroine on the scene, you need to catch her before she can track back and catch you.

[X] You leave Speedy and head out to the front exit. Time to leave. Escape takes priority over anything else.

And:

[X] You grab the quiver and heft it over your shoulder. Speedy had good things in there. You might need them, or be able to sell them, or something.

[X] You melt the arrows down into a kind of slag. Best not to leave Speedy armed, even when unconscious.

[X] You rush out into the alley. You can't have an unknown heroine on the scene, you need to catch her before she can track back and catch you.
[X] You grab the quiver and heft it over your shoulder. Speedy had good things in there. You might need them, or be able to sell them, or something.

This story has a very dreamlike feel to it.

[X] You leave Speedy and head out to the front exit. Time to leave. Escape takes priority over anything else.
[X] You melt the arrows down into a kind of slag. Best not to leave Speedy armed, even when unconscious.

We already dealt with Tracker Hell: Volume One, I'm not eager to open Tracker Hell: Volume Two for a bunch of arrows that we aren't proficient in using and that we mostly have no idea how they work.

As for fleeing before neutralizing the psychic, the psychic seems to not have any mover powers (she fell or did something clumsy earlier) and I think time spent tracking her down could be better spent getting away before more heroes vector in on the area. She didn't no sell our illusion anyways, so I'm not hugely concerned with her.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back