• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

A Sapient Megadungeon is You (Generic D&Dish fantasy)

[X] Stone carvings on the walls and indecipherable writing, parts of them trigger poison arrow traps when touched. etc

Since votes are neck to neck, let me explain the idea behind the wall carvings that shoot poison arrows.
The idea was that, while the mercenaries are busy killing the dogs and bats, the monks look around bored and notice the walls. We already know they're impatient because one of them stormed into the cave instead of letting his mercenaries clear it first, so they'll very likely start studying them and trigger the arrows. The mercenaries will be busy and can't pull them out of the way, so we should get one or maybe both monks.

Is my vote counted as "Stone carvings on the walls and indecipherable writing, parts of them trigger poison arrow traps when touched. etc"?

Also, note that we can make it look like the carvings killing the monks was their fault instead of us being jackasses, meaning it probably won't stop them from going further in.

The two hirees won't go on if the monks die. Do note the bargining.

Likewise if vice versa.

[X] Plan pervert.

Only would be more hilarious if the wizard part is true... And what we technically were. With the information we'resaying being true. Technically.

We should boost magic and monsters when we can. Just one more death lets us buy Kobolds. Who in combination with our traps, can be lethal little buggers.

I wonder if we can't wind up forming a religion... Wherein a 'pilgramage' involves much death and more. Of course, also to keep any successful persons coming back... So we can try again~

Another idea, with layout & magic is to trap a few adventures in a series of endless mazes (in their opinion anyways) and slowly wear them down mentally.... Keeps us company, entertainment, potential minion, and emergency rations. I wonder are monsters compatiable with humans?

ReinZero said:
I wonder if we can't wind up forming a religion... Wherein a 'pilgramage' involves much death and more. Of course, also to keep any successful persons coming back... So we can try again~

Another idea, with layout & magic is to trap a few adventures in a series of endless mazes (in their opinion anyways) and slowly wear them down mentally.... Keeps us company, entertainment, potential minion, and emergency rations. I wonder are monsters compatiable with humans?
some monsters might be.

By the way, what does it cost to get a new merit?

[X] Stone carvings on the walls and indecipherable writing, parts of them trigger poison arrow traps when touched. etc

Plan pervert at least is a way to move slowly away from 'murder them all' compared to stone carvings.

However, incorporating stone carvings into plan pervert... could be agreeable. After all, them monks. Just leave a small warning... maybe a bit too late. Pressure plate touch? If pressure's removed of course (aka, "What do you mean I can't move my hand from here?!" "You fool, are you trying to kill us all!")

Vertical pressure plates :D

Darkened said:
Merits can't be bought with lives generally. Instead (redacted). I hope that clarifies everything.

So basically, actions/playstyle/achievements/etc. right?

Nope, don't like holding a key advancement feature hostage to people going and writing extra content and such. Also since merits are major upgrades that expand functionality, if people kept writing omakes to get more endlessly, it would wreck the difficulty curve I have in mind. Instead I'll tentatively say that omakes can force a 'botch' on any adventurer below hero tier, or rather, make them perform unexpectedly badly once at the omake writer's discretion, or get a free small upgrade to a specific trap (IE: Specific weight pressure plates or the like) or a single new spell or monster option or the like that fit present abilities if they had one in mind.

For merits, there is something that the dungeon (IE: Players) can do that will get more, when it happens you'll probably notice. It's not particularly contingent on the players coming up with some strange niche thing, and should probably happen eventually so long as you keep murdering and kidnapping and torturing and whatnot.

Can they Hire ad Hero Wizard?

If Yes we die.

If No we try to win.

Rock Falls everyone dies.

Or Room of Spikes and Arrows.

Alright here's my idea for room 2. Let me start by saying I like plan pervert, I really do. It may be good for room three.

But if we really want to get the high level people we need to be sneaky about this.

- [X] Room two is a long hallway that slopes upwards, with a small "antechamber" at the bottom and a door leading in from the right side of the antechamber. It should be noted that this door is in an alcove that approaches at an acute angle from the hallway.
-- [X] Poison needle fresco / crude decoration is on the wall of the antechamber directly opposite the door that leads to room 3 at the top of the slope. It should be noted that the needles do NOT trigger when the fresco is manipulated. Let the monks fondle it all they like.
-- [X] The entire hallway uses our slippery floor. It has four Very Obvious tripwires connected to pit traps filled with spikes. It shouldn't even be hard to notice. Sure cutting them will work, but you can just step over them without any ill effect too.
-- [X] The Boulder Chase trap is at the top of this hallway. There is an obvious pressure plate at the bottom of a shallow bowl with vents that could emit water. It doesn't actually connect to the Boulder Chase.
--- [X] We need to be downright mournful about how this room has fallen into disrepair. The water features have mostly dried up, the snakes left, and the tentacle monster has moved on. Bonus points if we allude to the perversion part of the next room and how this one was supposed to get everyone all revved up for the main event. All the obvious triggers were supposed to be hidden by water and darkness, now? Just sad.
---- [X] There are two Bats, just for effect.

The real trigger of this room is a subtle pressure plate on the side of the obvious pressure plate away from the door to room three. *It should be impossible to move past this section without stepping on the subtle plate or the obvious plate. This trigger is not active until Room 3 has been entered. Once they have "Cleared" Room 2 and moved on the killing stroke begins. This is all to ensure that they feel "safe" in Room 2. When they come back out... the Boulder chase begins, all the pits open, and the needles pop out of the fresco.

Suddenly they have to run down a slippery slope full of deadly pit traps, any trip wires they didn't cut, and with a wall full of poisoned pointy death at the end that they didn't know about. All while a giant boulder rolls behind them.

And remember the acute angle on the door? Nigh fucking impossible to turn on a dime like that while running for your life. You'd have to bounce off the wall in a grand show of acrobatics to manage it and dramatically survive the boulder.

(Too bad the wall is full of poisoned pointy death)

No matter the outcome of Room 3, whether they be victorious or fail, Room 2 part 2 should end them. Its all about luring them into a false sense of security.

Hell, we could active that trap from Room 3 if they notice the subtle plate too. Make all of the not working pressure plates work as a conditional trigger from room 3.

If you would like I can draw this out.

hey can we get a point for knowledge if we kill one of the clerics or something. my thought was that we could use the knowledge to mimic some historical and noteworthy, or decorate to give off certain impressions. we'd have to kill the cleric for an excuse to gain the knowledge by pulling the knowledge from their souls, so the option wouldn't always be available either.

Are you sure Jans plan will work? We have to give them a Chance to actually get away so we get something out of it. We could just manipulate our own Body and turn them to bloody mush, but that wouldn't get us anything. We live as much from the struggle and pain as we live of the actual blood, if not more. So making impossible to defeat traps Looks like a good way to backfire here.

Heaven Canceler said:
Are you sure Jans plan will work? We have to give them a Chance to actually get away so we get something out of it. We could just manipulate our own Body and turn them to bloody mush, but that wouldn't get us anything. We live as much from the struggle and pain as we live of the actual blood, if not more. So making impossible to defeat traps Looks like a good way to backfire here.

They have clerics and an adventurer. Even if the adventurer is the only one to get out alive he should have antidotes in his inventory. The point is to get teh adventurer to bleed, thereby empowering us.

These aren't impossible to defeat. They're the same traps that we would have otherwise and a sufficiently skilled adventuring party could circumvent them pretty easily. The lethality part comes from luring them into a false sense of security.

Its not impossible, we're targeting other factors besides direct difficulty to ensure a kill. Mind games are a vital part of the dungeoneering experience after all!

(Which, admittedly, is a pretty fucked up (ie Hilarious) thing for your DM to do. I've killed a large chunk of one party and killed another with setups similar to this. A bit more complicated, but they were fairly high level and had a rogue with them.)

Fellgar said:
They have clerics and an adventurer. Even if the adventurer is the only one to get out alive he should have antidotes in his inventory. The point is to get teh adventurer to bleed, thereby empowering us.

we only get the power if they die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back