• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Advent of the God-Harem King [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Uhm, maybe I wasn't clear:

Issei completed 75% of the Evil Pieces. Yes. But that's enough: he already has everything he needs to start creating his own Pieces. Bright is providing First Age technology to cover lacunae.

See that's what I thought but then all those posters started saying we aren't ready to create our own Pieces and everything got confusing.

without it being said I had assumed it needed 100% completion of the research project before we could start making our own, just like every good RPG or Strat Game /laugh

without it being said I had assumed it needed 100% completion of the research project before we could start making our own, just like every good RPG or Strat Game /laugh

But the update explicitly told us we could start work on ours:
Issei has understood enough of how the Evil Pieces work that, together with Bright's help, he can start working in his own version.

We still have to design and create our own Pieces but the research phase is over! It's development time!

I jut remembered something. We need to get into Heaven somehow.

I'm going to vote and suggest something like a Pactio system, though with artifacts optional.

The core of the Pactio system is to:
  • Allow range limited telepathy in both directions (10 km, not as useful as cell phones, but still useful)
  • Allow teleportation summons to the master (10 km range apparently)
  • Specifies a stellar body which is associated with what it enhances
  • Specifies a color and direction
  • Specifies a virtue (probably one of the 7 great classic virtues)
  • Allows summoning and dismissing an artifact
  • Adds defensive field
  • Store a costume (or multiple costumes)
  • Gives a title
See the Negima Wikia Pactio entry. Here is an example Pactio card.

Generally it enhances something they already are or can do.

We don't need to use the traditional virtues, we can use either an extended list of virtues, or the Exalted virtues (which were inspired by the original set anyway).

I'm not sure what the color and direction does, but if we want we can turn direction into an Exalted elemental orientation. The color is optional, it might be the color of their pactio enhanced powers when invoked.

If we can't do something like telepathy and teleportation, then we could do something like make the holder a touch range unresisting target for the master's magic or charms.

Drop the stellar body as necessary.

Artifacts can be added or loaded later.

So I am proposing pactio cards that do:
  • Specifies a virtue (which is probably the receiver's primary Exalted virtue if we're stuck with Exalted)
  • Allows telepathy and teleportation if possible
  • Increases their defense (grants extra dots of zero damage body?, increases their body rating?)
  • Treats the receiver as a touch range unresisting target for the master's effects as long as they hold the card
  • Allows summoning of artifacts/costumes (need not start with one)
  • Grants or enhances an Exalted elemental affiliation
  • Oh, and treats them as having Celestial Essence/removes limits on essence gain

I have no end of no's for this idea, just the freaking telepathy alone is a bad idea and you should feel bad about it, treating the target as an unresisting target are you out of your freaking mind, seriously I, no, no no no no no, NO

Virtues as well are not something we want to inject into people, just ask Big Sol, he'd really like to get Shot of his

and Artifacts, we are a FREAKING TWILIGHT CASTE we do not need a half assed plot powered ritual to get knock off badly made random artefacts for our people, we can design and produce our own, and with our Manse coming online shortly the primary constraint of time for that will shortly be far less of a thing with the time dickery installed in there

here's an idea, how about instead of spending all this time and effort trying to build 5000 different systems that all do the same thing badly we instead cast a single vote on what we freaking want, THEN build the freaking thing?

IE

[] Fate/Servent Based
[] Extented Fate/Servent Based
[] Tarot Based
[] Pactio Based
[] Go Based
[] Fairy Chess Based
[] Classic RPG Based
[] Something Else

[X] Fairy Chess Based

As a Member of Creation outside of Creation I think Bright will enjoy the Irony.

[X] Fate/Servent Based

Mainly because we need to feed Issei's inner fanboy.

Oh hey, are we opening up this old can of worms again?

Servant system is too limited, presumably we want more than seven harem girls and they don't all fit neatly into one of those classes. Same goes for tarot cards. Dunno anything about Go. Maybe fairy chess pieces? Depends on whether we're limited to a single set of pieces or not.

Pactio-like abilities are most favorable to me simply because there's no limit to the number of pactio bonds you can make and each one is custom-tailored to the partner. No need to force her into a role she might not fit when you can homebrew a new role for her on the spot.

Oh hey, are we opening up this old can of worms again?

Servant system is too limited, presumably we want more than seven harem girls and they don't all fit neatly into one of those classes. Same goes for tarot cards. Dunno anything about Go. Maybe fairy chess pieces? Depends on whether we're limited to a single set of pieces or not.

Pactio-like abilities are most favorable to me simply because there's no limit to the number of pactio bonds you can make and each one is custom-tailored to the partner. No need to force her into a role she might not fit when you can homebrew a new role for her on the spot.
Just because we use a system doesn't mean we're constrained to a set number. Besides I don't think Issei is bi.

Alternatively, servant roles could work as long as we don't adhere slavishly to what those classes mean in FSN terms. Berserker doesn't need to have Mad Enhancement, it could just be equivalent to a rook piece with some battle continuation ability like passive healing or something.

Alternatively, servant roles could work as long as we don't adhere slavishly to what those classes mean in FSN terms. Berserker doesn't need to have Mad Enhancement, it could just be equivalent to a rook piece with some battle continuation ability like passive healing or something.
Berserker is easy

ALL THE PHYSICAL ENHANCEMENTS + ANTIMAGIC

yeah, SABER get's you nice buffs while also letting you use magic, but Berserker is NEVER going to be able to use magic, god help anyone who focuses on Magic for combat against him/her however

yeah, SABER get's you nice buffs while also letting you use magic, but Berserker is NEVER going to be able to use magic, god help anyone who focuses on Magic for combat against him/her however
Berserker should be strength + endurance + healing of some sort. It's not anti-magic, but it smashes apart everything in its way and requires lots of firepower to put down. But Saber has anti-magic as part of the basic class skills package; it's a well-rounded champ in melee combat, but it doesn't have anything in the way of dirty tricks because it's the most straightforward of the knight classes.

Bonus when it's activated in battle for the Berserker stuff.

Berserker should be strength + endurance + healing of some sort. It's not anti-magic, but it smashes apart everything in its way and requires lots of firepower to put down. But Saber has anti-magic as part of the basic class skills package; it's a well-rounded champ in melee combat, but it doesn't have anything in the way of dirty tricks because it's the most straightforward of the knight classes.
was more meaning Berserker = None Thinker, and Magic = Thinkers Game, thus Berserker = Anti Thinker, thus Anti Magic, so being Unable to use Magic seemed to fit /shrug

honestly if we wanted to do something similar to the Devils but different enough not the be the same, I'd have it as Ruler *Second in Command (IE Queen)* Saber (Physical All rounder) Lancer (Physical Speed Buffed) Berserker (Physical Def Buffed) Caster (Low Physical Buffs but Magic stats through the roof) Assassin (lesser all rounder then Saber + Stealth Buffed) and use Avenger Peices in place of Pawns /shrug our special units would in the end be more impressive then the Devils, but the on average have more of them unless they double up one lancer vs two Knights as it where /shrug

I'm not a fan on the Servant system, but I vastly prefer it over Pactio

You know, the Talismans from Jackie Chan Adventures?

These doodads:
latest

Well, if it's a vote you want:

[X] Tarot-themed Composite

Drawing inspiration from different sources is great, but it's frankly pointless to try to lock in on a preexisting design too strongly. Let's grab some good ideas from them all and patch them together. I've outlined my thoughts on the various systems below, followed by a detailed new suggestion.

My thoughts:

The Servant Class Card System excels because it allows us to create role-specific buffs and such. Its weakness is that it leaves little room for considering the skills of the individual using the Card, and thus can become limiting...especially if some of our chosen have natural talents that are to broad to synergize well with any particular Class. Recall that this is an important issue in Fate: Servants, without a Class, are far more powerful than they are with one. Cu, for example, loses access to the bulk of his Rune Magic due to his Lancer Class.

The Pactio System excels at personalization. It builds directly off the Minister/Ministra's existing talents and personality, giving them a weapon ideal for them. It also offers telepathy, which is hugely valuable on the battlefield. On the downside, it isn't intended to be used by a group, and thus only doesn't offer much support for mutual support between Ministra. It also has a rather troublesome invocation ritual.

The proposed Tarot system strikes a better balance, allowing beneficiaries a far larger variety of Archetypes/Arcana to draw upon. It also fits the Solar mentality well, due to Tarot's narrative of continuous and unending growth.

...a Go based system makes little sense to me, considering the generic nature of the pieces, but I don't know much about the deeper aspects of the game.

Fairy Chess...I'm not knowledgeable about it. It sounds to similar to the Evil Pieces, but I can't say for certain.

Classic RPG based parallels the "game pieces" theme of the existing Pieces: Chess Pieces, Playing Cards, RPG Characters. Beyond the thematic, however, it's really nothing special. It does match up well with the Exalted Castes and Ability sets, but that's it.

Tarot-Themed Composite System

So, what I'm thinking is that we use the Tarot Theme, drawing upon the Servant System for the core features of each Arcana, and add automatic personalization (based on the Pactio system)...

Each person would have a single Tarot Card of their own. That card analyzes their spiritual, physical, and mental traits and grants them access to whichever Arcana they are compatible with (potentially just 1, or possibly all that they are suited to). If they have access to more than one, they can switch between them by some means.

Aside from the powers of the Arcana, the Card also establishes a certain set of core benefits, unique to each user: An Artifact (only accessible while using the Card) based on their personal skills), and some form of permanent increase to the Ability and Attribute they are best with. Yang, for example, would likely receive a pair of Artifact Gauntlets, Dot(s) in Martial Arts, and either Dot(s) in Strength or Epic Strength. She would have access to these regardless of her current Arcana, and the Gauntlets would be usable regardless of Arcana (so, no matter what Arcana she's using, she's not going to get stuck with a sword or something).

I'd also recommend casual telepathy between all members of the team while the Card is active.

Obviously, details aren't all hammered out, and Alexander would have to help balance things, but...that's my suggestion.

Uh, she already has War's Gauntlets...
I'm aware. It was an example...the Card would presumably take such things into account (considering it's checking her mind in the process). She'd likely end up with some form of speed boosting legware or strength boosting body armor/shoulder plates/something. Alternatively, it might be something that connects to or strengthens whatever Gauntlets she is wielding.

The beauty of this is that these kinds of particulars are handled by Alexander...he knows what kind of special equipment and/or abilities the character has/will gain, even if we don't, and thus can take that into account when designing Artifacts.

Tarot-Themed Composite System
Strongly opposed to shallow tarot symbolism, which I suspect is only popular because of its usage in the Persona series. Otherwise it's poorly-used in most other places and the mythology and meaning of the tarot cards makes them even more restrictive than the servant classes. Anyone who might fit the devil arcana is someone we don't want in the harem, for instance.

Strongly opposed to shallow tarot symbolism, which I suspect is only popular because of its usage in the Persona series. Otherwise it's poorly-used in most other places and the mythology and meaning of the tarot cards makes them even more restrictive than the servant classes. Anyone who might fit the devil arcana is someone we don't want in the harem, for instance.
While I can see where your coming from Smut, I for one would have the Tarot Cards start blank and shift to fit whatever the character suited them, be that one or multiple cards, so we could well have multiples of the same card /shrug honestly I'd just used it as a base for a epic stat buff + training system rather then anything herpaderp like Persona

I think we would be better off finishing those evil pieces entirely before we started work on a replacement. We want to make sure we pick up as much of the other guys work as we can. We don't know what kind of advantages or secrets he hid away in them that we would want to add to ours.

Understandable, but I'm also not pushing for locking someone down into a single Arcana or trying to be really deep about it. Issei's the one making these things, so he'll presumably NOT hold too closely to the core symbolism (for reasons such as the Devil Arcana). It's mostly just thematics, to contrast with the Chess and Playing Card motifs...personally, I'd be fine with changing the Tarot theme out for something original, but literally copying off of Fate or Negima seems...kind of lazy. At least Tarot Arcana are well established cultural symbols and have substantial history, unlike the others. I suppose the Zodiac would work as well, but it would mean substantially less variety. It's also less interesting to me personally, but that's not terribly important.

I have no end of no's for this idea, just the freaking telepathy alone is a bad idea and you should feel bad about it, treating the target as an unresisting target are you out of your freaking mind, seriously I, no, no no no no no, NO

What is wrong with telepathy? It isn't an always on telepathy. I take it you have similar objections to the teleportation, which I can see better. It is also a really useful ability to have, the range is limited. It should also be possible to remove the unresisting target, or make it optional/activated on the part of the recipient.

Virtues as well are not something we want to inject into people, just ask Big Sol, he'd really like to get Shot of his

If we are using a home-brew Exalted, then we are stuck with Virtues, and everyone has four. We lose nothing by specifying which is their main virtue. It's part of chargen. If it isn't then we can specify something else, like their preferred attribute.

and Artifacts, we are a FREAKING TWILIGHT CASTE we do not need a half assed plot powered ritual to get knock off badly made random artefacts for our people, we can design and produce our own, and with our Manse coming online shortly the primary constraint of time for that will shortly be far less of a thing with the time dickery installed in there

It does not actually include any artifacts, just the ability to store and retrieve one. We could make artifacts that are appropriate for the people we want to have them.

here's an idea, how about instead of spending all this time and effort trying to build 5000 different systems that all do the same thing badly we instead cast a single vote on what we freaking want, THEN build the freaking thing?

IE

[] Fate/Servent Based
[] Extented Fate/Servent Based
[] Tarot Based
[] Pactio Based
[] Go Based
[] Fairy Chess Based
[] Classic RPG Based
[] Something Else

I think we should define what we want it to do. I think that's directly relevant. The details about how it happens are distinctly less important.

I want the pactio system because it does not prevent the recipient from doing something, but enhances something they have or are. Some of the proposals for Berserker prevent the character from ever using magic. I don't like that.

I think the most important part of the thing I proposed is the removal of the limit on essence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back