• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

uju32 said:
And as for Menka, as long as they don't have definitive proof, I'm happy,because they have to expend time and effort to plan for being wrong. A little uncertainty is a wonderful thing.
This has to be weighed against the time and effort effort we have to expend to preserve the uncertainty. By all means have them waste part of the coming month planning for things we can't do, but not bringing Menka to the finals or completely writing off the possibility of using him for combat imposes more burdens on us than it does on them.

Torgamous said:
This has to be weighed against the time and effort effort we have to expend to preserve the uncertainty. By all means have them waste part of the coming month planning for things we can't do, but not bringing Menka to the finals or completely writing off the possibility of using him for combat imposes more burdens on us than it does on them.
Of course we're bringing him to the finals.
What's in doubt is whether we should commit him to combat, or simply keep him as a looming threat.
Depending on the lineup for the finals, we get to decide later.

Hey guys, should we go check in on Kiba? Ami did, and she still has a match.

Edit: On the subject of Menka, having him stalk around the ring and go in on his own initiative seems like the best plan.

Guile said:
Hey guys, should we go check in on Kiba? Ami did, and she still has a match.
Edit: On the subject of Menka, having him stalk around the ring and go in on his own initiative seems like the best plan.
Ami went upstairs, back to the balcony, not to the clinic.
And Menka has already retrieved both bullets.

Don't forget to vote-vote, fellas. I love the way the discussion has heated up lately, but decisions are good too.

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of letting slip that we're a reincarnation to the only other reincarnation we've met vs checking up on our bro and making sure that he's fine scolding him for being an idiot and revealing one of the trumps you had planned.

Well, if that's the way you wanna play it Furiko. Just don't undersell him. :p

[X] Chat up one of the Sand kids about non-fight-related stuff.
-> [X] Temari
-> [X] "So! I hear you lead a band!" Talk some tunes.

Get on their good side, so we can gather intel later perhaps.

And don't focus exclusively on Gaara. The band was originally Temari's, then Gaara joined, and then his groupies swarmed. Knowing she started it and talking to her about the music if probably the best way to get her to warm up to us, and with her the rest of the happy family.

Either that, or talk about how we nearly sabotaged Kankuro's puppet back in the first exam and see if it gets him to say something like, "Thank God you didn't, it might have exploded and killed us all!" That kind of stuff. Less cordial though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Focus on the fight.

Some banter is acceptable, but damnit, Lee is fighting Haku. If Temari doesn't write a song about this it'll be because Lee gets an even better opponent in the finals. Conversation can happen later, I doubt anyone will hold that against us.

FurikoMaru said:
I wouldn't dream of it. :3 I can promise you, all the jinchuuriki in this setting are absolutely bullshit on a level not even you are likely to match in a hurry.

Well that's good!

Although I hope they can be beaten besides finally just getting Ranton. Victory by subtlety and guile seems more narratively satisfying.

Or just don't fight.

Some banter is acceptable, but damnit, Lee is fighting Haku. If Temari doesn't write a song about this it'll be because Lee gets an even better opponent in the finals. Conversation can happen later, I doubt anyone will hold that against us.

We may not get an opportunity served up to us after this. Ami may come back and drag us away or we may be called away, or we may have to go sit with someone else because it'd be awkward otherwise.

Nah, I'd like to seize this now, while we can and they're willing to let us come close. We got a good in, use it.

Also, Haku is probably gonna win because Haku will play dirty and avoid giving as much away as possible. Say hello to Mist and senbon to acupuncture points.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Well that's good!
Although I hope they can be beaten besides finally just getting Ranton. Victory by subtlety and guile seems more narratively satisfying.
Or just don't fight.
To each his own.
I personally find comfort in the simplicity of brute force.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
We may not get an opportunity served up to us after this. Ami may come back and drag us away or we may be called away, or we may have to go sit with someone else because it'd be awkward otherwise.
Nah, I'd like to seize this now, while we can and they're willing to let us come close. We got a good in, use it.
We certainly won't get another chance to watch Haku vs Lee.
And the Sand team are not our only opposition in this exam.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Also, Haku is probably gonna win because Haku will play dirty and avoid giving as much away as possible. Say hello to Mist and senbon to acupuncture points.
You do have a habit of underestimating the guys.
When Lee is one of the two Leaf people here who could match us speedwise, and has been working on Fire?
I don't expect it to be anywhere near that easy.
This isn't Dosu vs Choji.

uju32 said:
To each his own.
Aaaaand now I wanna start a martial arts epic team-up of QQers. Uju uses straight-up boko boko ni shite ageru stuff like karate; Hymn prefers something that redirects his opponent's strength, like jujutsu, or something where you attack from unexpected angles, like Snake Fist. Guile uses Zui Quan/Suiken. Vin is the token boxer with some street-fighting experience who Han Solos in all 'what up, gettin' paid, gettin' laid' but who gains honour and dignity and respect and all that shit by the end of the movie.

Bii is not a fighter... is but a humble tanuki,

FurikoMaru said:
Aaaaand now I wanna start a martial arts epic team-up of QQers.
I've seen where this path leads. You should totally do it if you think you've got enough material to work with. No bad will come of this.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:

In that case conversation will happen laterer, but that doesn't change that Lee is fighting Haku. I couldn't in good conscience cause someone to miss even a moment of that.

Besides, "you're definitely gonna want to see this" is an acceptable form of socialization at what amounts to a sporting event. Not quite a substitute for talking about Temari's music but hardly a faux pas.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Hitting acupuncture points on someone moving at Lee's speed is rather harder than hitting them on Sasuke. Not calling a winner yet but whoever wins is going to have to work for it.

FurikoMaru said:
Aaaaand now I wanna start a martial arts epic team-up of QQers. Uju uses straight-up boko boko ni shite ageru stuff like karate; Hymn prefers something that redirects his opponent's strength, like jujutsu, or something where you attack from unexpected angles, like Snake Fist. Guile uses Zui Quan/Suiken. Vin is the token boxer with some street-fighting experience who Han Solos in all 'what up, gettin' paid, gettin' laid' but who gains honour and dignity and respect and all that shit by the end of the movie.
Lol.
Don't get me wrong, misdirection and subterfuge have their place, and god knows I love genjutsu, but there is a certain security in the knowledge that when all else fails, you can break out the heavy arty and stop the opposition cold.
Biigoh said:
Bii is not a fighter... is but a humble tanuki,
A tricky tanuki.
Don't think we aren't on to you......

uju32 said:
To each his own.

It's not about personal preferences here for me, it's abut what suits the character.

We certainly won't get another chance to watch Haku vs Lee.
And the Sand team are not our only opposition in this exam.

We certainly won't be the only ones watching either. Not too worried.

You do have a habit of underestimating the guys.

You don't see me underestimating Haku do you?

When Lee is one of the two Leaf people here who could match us speedwise, and has been working on Fire?
I don't expect it to be anywhere near that easy.

Hiding in the Mist, throw voice, Hyouton if things really get insane.

I'm betting on Haku because Lee is straightforward and I think Haku will use it against him.

FurikoMaru said:

Ironically enough, the only martial art I've ever practiced is karate. You do have my number on what I prefer though, when push comes to shove. I generally prefer kicks to attack or keep people away, arms to block, arm bars/locks to shut people down, and in the so far mercifully hypothetical life and death scenarios aim straight for the vitals and launch crippling blows.

My instructor was very big on self-defense lessons and as a philosophy, with an emphasis on avoiding conflict and fights when at all possible. But when push comes to shove, he did not teach me or anyone else to fuck around.

Torgamous said:
In that case conversation will happen laterer, but that doesn't change that Lee is fighting Haku. I couldn't in good conscience cause someone to miss even a moment of that.

Besides, "you're definitely gonna want to see this" is an acceptable form of socialization at what amounts to a sporting event. Not quite a substitute for talking about Temari's music but hardly a faux pas.

Yeah, but it isn't REALLY a bonding experience when Temari goes analytical on the contestants and suddenly we ARE playing the intel game instead of a safe topic.

Hitting acupuncture points on someone moving at Lee's speed is rather harder than hitting them on Sasuke. Not calling a winner yet but whoever wins is going to have to work for it.

Mist did their homework and it doesn't take much to figure out what Lee is about. Fire might cause an upset, but I'll bet on the sneaky Mist nin.

Also, whoever wins the match, Haku will come out ahead. In intel and knowledge if nothing else for the sake of his teammates.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Ironically enough, the only martial art I've ever practiced is karate. You do have my number on what I prefer though, when push comes to shove. I generally prefer kicks to attack or keep people away, arms to block, arm bars/locks to shut people down, and in the so far mercifully hypothetical life and death scenarios aim straight for the vitals and launch crippling blows.

My instructor was very big on self-defense lessons and as a philosophy, with an emphasis on avoiding conflict and fights when at all possible. But when push comes to shove, he did not teach me or anyone else to fuck around.
Mine were very big on me not hitting them anymore. :D

Though I suppose that's what happens when you try to learn taijutsu by picking fights with martial arts students in high school. Less with the overt instruction, more with the "ack, crazy bitch, now I'm gonna make you stop that!"

Eh.

Not sure if I'd qualify the stuff I learned from community college as genuine martial arts. Partially because the instructor triggered all of my conman buttons.

It was decent excercise and agility training, though.

... It's a pity that there's no martial arts dojos in, like, a hundred miles in any direction from where I live right now. Ah well.

FurikoMaru said:
Mine were very big on me not hitting them anymore. :D

Though I suppose that's what happens when you try to learn taijutsu by picking fights with martial arts students in high school. Less with the overt instruction, more with the "ack, crazy bitch, now I'm gonna make you stop that!"

Yeah, this was more of a self-defense class.

Instructor was still pretty awesome though. I can't remember a single fight I ever had with him or saw him have that didn't end with his opponent pinned and writhing on the ground in seconds. I think he was a fifth-degree black belt?

Needless to say every time I was called on to be his assistant, it was always a, "Whoa I didn't know you could do oh shit ow damn my legs don't stretch like that" moment. Or, "Here's how I make your attacks hurt you more than they hurt me, and then how I would hurt you if I weren't nice enough to pin you instead."

And I have to respect a man who pushed his son out of the way of a car and took the hit instead.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
It's not about personal preferences here for me, it's abut what suits the character.
In other words, personal preference.
Especially given that we're playing an insert of one character in a drastically different universe.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
We certainly won't be the only ones watching either. Not too worried.
We look for different things than other people, and Lupin's presence gives us perspective a lot of others lack.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
You don't see me underestimating Haku do you?
Hiding in the Mist, throw voice, Hyouton if things really get insane.
I'm betting on Haku because Lee is straightforward and I think Haku will use it against him.
As opposed to possibly Fire and definitely Iron Fist?
Besides, we briefed him on the Mist crew; he's not stupid enough not to have made plans to deal with the known MO of the Mist jounin-sensei.
And if Haku breaks out Hyoton, we get to see how it stands up to Gates.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Mist did their homework and it doesn't take much to figure out what Lee is about. Fire might cause an upset, but I'll bet on the sneaky Mist nin.
Also, whoever wins the match, Haku will come out ahead. In intel and knowledge if nothing else for the sake of his teammates.
Assuming he doesn't get steamrolled.
Besides, the harder he's pushed, the more he has to reveal anyway.
So he might gain intel on Lee, but we gain intel on him and how he was trained.
I don't see how that's a problem for us.

[X] Peanut Gallery with the Sand Siblings.
[X] Do Lee's bragging for him.
FurikoMaru said:
I would be the cheapest date a Drunken Master ever was.

For all that I'm 6'1" and 250 pounds, three pints is usually enough to get me tipsy.
Silversun17 said:
your the team mascot then.
Bii! Transform and roll out!

Guile said:
I would be the cheapest date a Drunken Master ever was.
Fun fact, it is a fatally stupid idea to employ Drunken Fist while inebriated; it takes flawless balance and excellent coordination.

FurikoMaru said:
Fun fact, it is a fatally stupid idea to employ Drunken Fist while inebriated; it takes flawless balance and excellent coordination.
... Jackie Chan lied to me. :(

uju32 said:
In other words, personal preference.
Especially given that we're playing an insert of one character in a drastically different universe.

No, I'm going by the personality we've fairly consistently displayed. Work smart, not hard. Find the easy way out. Infiltration and subtlety over combat and directness, which has been pretty explicit.

If you call that personal preference, suit yourself.

We look for different things than other people, and Lupin's presence gives us perspective a lot of others lack.

And I am fine with using that perspective to talk music and inspire them that way, possibly using genjutsu to let them in on the many tunes Lupin knows.

As opposed to possibly Fire and definitely Iron Fist?
Besides, we briefed him on the Mist crew; he's not stupid enough not to have made plans to deal with the known MO of the Mist jounin-sensei.
And if Haku breaks out Hyoton, we get to see how it stands up to Gates.

We briefed Kiba too and look how that turned out. And Lee isn't even as wily as Kiba.

Even in canon Haku has a speed of freaking 4 and Konoha isn't the only group that's been getting upgrades. I'd bet Haku had a full clan supporting him in developing and learning ice jutsu, if Haku isn't even stronger than before.

Assuming he doesn't get steamrolled.
Besides, the harder he's pushed, the more he has to reveal anyway.
So he might gain intel on Lee, but we gain intel on him and how he was trained.
I don't see how that's a problem for us.

Never said it was a problem. Just don't consider it especially important when I suspect Ino and Temari can split their attention well enough chatting and watching. Jounin-sensei are watching anyways.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Even in canon Haku has a speed of freaking 4 and Konoha isn't the only group that's been getting upgrades. I'd bet Haku had a full clan supporting him in developing and learning ice jutsu, if Haku isn't even stronger than before.
And that should make the fight spectacular. Haku can win for all I care, long as he doesn't do it with a well-placed senbon right at the start of the match.

Torgamous said:
And that should make the fight spectacular. Haku can win for all I care, long as he doesn't do it with a well-placed senbon right at the start of the match.

Actually, I'm kind of hoping he does exactly that. Typical hiding in mist, Lee going hard work and aiming to overpower, Haku going just as planned against the taijutsu prodigy who won't be unlocking his Gates or weights without serious provocation that Haku of all people is unlikely to give.

Yes, sucks to be Lee, but if Haku's specialty lies in assassination, I want to see some damn assassination moves. And Haku doesn't even need to kill.

Also...

"He shot me first! Hell, I let him shoot me first so it would be fair!"

Is this a Star Wars reference on who shot first? Doesn't seem to quite line up to be perfect, but worth a shot I figure. :p

[X] Focus on the fight
-> Respond to the Sand Siblings if they want to talk.

Also is this Haku male or female? Just so we can get it out of the way. I always felt that was one of those things that could be taken either way even in canon.

Unclouded said:
Also is this Haku male or female? Just so we can get it out of the way. I always felt that was one of those things that could be taken either way even in canon.
He's a guy. If my sources are correct, Kishimoto even said in an interview that Zabuza and Haku were his first attempt at writing an implied male/male relationship.

It actually kinda pisses me off that people make Haku a girl because they can. I don't know why they do it, other than to make Naruto less gay. Which could be more efficiently managed by making Naruto a girl, considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back