• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

FurikoMaru said:
How else do you hold something together when it's falling apart than by pushing it back together? Ino isn't a telekinetic; she can't just magic up a stasis field where pressure is neither eased nor exerted. That's what storage seals are for.

use chakra to stick it back together? build a frame around it? I dunno, I just assumed "squeeze it till it pops" wasn't very high on the list of "things that might work"

iamnuff said:
use chakra to stick it back together?
How is that not squeezing it? Just 'cause she isn't using her fingers for it that doesn't mean it isn't still pressure. And the other way to take that is even worse; you wanna mix human chakra with devil-bijuu hybrid chakra and you think good things will come of it?

iamnuff said:
build a frame around it?
With what, one of the many Mokuton jutsu she doesn't have?

FurikoMaru said:
How is that not squeezing it? Just 'cause she isn't using her fingers for it that doesn't mean it isn't still pressure. And the other way to take that is even worse; you wanna mix human chakra with devil-bijuu hybrid chakra and you think good things will come of it?

eh, chakra seems to work as an adhesive, right? you don't need to apply pressure to use glue.
besides, If i knew it was Bad-juju chakra, i never would have voted to tamper with it.

With what, one of the many Mokuton jutsu she doesn't have?
wut?

it's not like I suggested that we build it a fucking house, just a slather that thing in chakra, then harden it so all the Gaara bits are trapped inside.

Anyway, it seems like i had the wrong idea HOW the bullet was falling apart too.

I suppose considering we are talking about a magical energy thing, its natural we wouldn't instantly be on the same page when we picture it's consistency. I assumed it was like cracked glass, needing a gentle touch and a lot of adhesive to keep it in the right form (or a wire-work frame type thing) but from what you say, it seems more like it was a big blob of playdoe, that we tried to squeeze back into shape.

shame it was actually plastique explosives, right?

Hmm. It occurs to me that maybe Gai won't break this up? He might let them hash this out now.

That, or since he's probably seeing us in a different light, he expects us to step in and try to assert control. Which, admittedly, does show more leadership.

Not keen on the whole 'my fight' bit, would rather it be something like, 'It could be my fight, or any of yours,' but I like the sentiment of all three pretty much going, "I don't want to see you guys get the beaten black and blue either, so I'd rather do it!"

Of course, now all three are willing to get maimed on each other's behalf, which in particular is not the healthiest sentiment for Lee to have. He actually would cripple ourselves on our behalf.

[X] "Oi, guys... not that I'm not flattered, but this is my fight. I don't want you guys to get pummelled either, y'know." You'll just refrain from mentioning that it's Lee Gaara's most anxious to tussle with.

Considered trying a write-in of slightly different flavor, but eh. At least this is showing some agency.

And we did cheer against Neji. Showing we still care about his well-being is a good way to make amends without apologizing and drudging up the whole affair.

Last edited by a moderator:
[x] Hug them both and do the manly-tears thing. With the sunset genjutsu, if you can.

[X] "Oi, guys... not that I'm not flattered, but this is my fight. I don't want you guys to get pummelled either, y'know." You'll just refrain from mentioning that it's Lee Gaara's most anxious to tussle with.

You know, at some point we should offer up sharing info on Gaara so that every one of us has better chances against him, or straight up helping each others' training. Because if any of us draw his number, we don't want our allies getting pounded so we want them in the best shape they can manage.

.....And SHIT. If only we had IC knowledge of Bad Ends. It just occurred to me that Neji's Gentle Fist and targeting of tenketsu could backfire horribly if Gaara decides to launch his chakra and eat the pretty's boy's until he forfeits or dies.

Uh....wow. In that light, Neji fighting Gaara is a spectacularly awful idea.

Honestly, I am okay with losing to Gaara. We are not a straight fighter. We do not need to beat the the reincarnation of Dante who lives and breaths combat. Yes, hurts the ego to loose, but it's not like he doesn't deserve to win. Our talents really lie elsewhere.

Plus, even if we beat him in a deal of music, doesn't mean he'd concede. Maybe give us a handicap in acknowledgement of that victory? But conceding....could happen, could not.

Change the subject.

[X] "Hey, Guy-sensei, how are these fights going to be determined? I mean these matches are random; is the next round as well?"

FurikoMaru said:
[X] There goes the fear again
The Doves - There Goes The Fear

FurikoMaru said:
You bite your lip.
"I... might not be able to avoid it, Gai-sensei."
And you now have the dubious pleasure of hearing what Hyuuga Neji sounds like when he's actually frightened.
Gai's eyes widen. The chords low in his chakra rumble with anger and the promise of disappointment, but the notes above them speak of concern. For now, he's waiting for your explanation.
Ow.
Right in the feels.

FurikoMaru said:
"Have you completely lost your mind?!" Tenten asks, almost definitely stealing Ami's line.
"You total hypocrite!" she says instead. Oof, I almost made her swear in front of a responsible authority figure.
Do as I say Ami :p

Ah yes, reference:
Bruce Almighty
Good Will Hunting
The Devil Wears Prada
Just three movies that use the exact same line Tenten did.
Rather popular question, that.

FurikoMaru said:
"Suna sent Gaara here to put on a show," you say as calmly as you can manage while talking about an opponent who can completely annihilate you. You recall some of the reports you received over the past month from some Tora clan members in the course of your research. "The Wind Daimyo and the village have been involved in an ongoing labour dispute for the last ten years; the Kazekage has set mission wages at a level where they're actually worth a damn to someone living in a desert town that imports most of its food, and the daimyo has been hiring Konoha-nin as scabs, the cheap bastard. Needless to say, there's a lot of resentment about that."
Good to see that the Wind Daimyo is as stupid and shortsighted as ever.
Some things really don't change.

FurikoMaru said:
"What does the cost of food in Suna have to do with you committing suicide by sand-monster?" Kiba asks, flabbergasted.
"Making Gaara a household name is their best chance of convincing their daimyo that it's in his best interests to support his local shinobi," you summarise. "If Gaara gets at least one good fight out of the finals, where he can really strut for the clients, impress them the way he impresses us, Suna will be back in business."
"Who cares if Suna is back in business or falls off a cliff?" Ami demands. "Are you seriously willing to die just to help an ally take clients away from us?"
Ah, Ami.
Neither you or Kiba really are ready to be chuunin, if you can't see how bad the prospect of instability in a major ally is for Konoha security.
Especially after it's been all but spelled out for you.

FurikoMaru said:
"You do remember the part where he shot Kiba, right?" Ami says, raising an eyebrow at you.
"Well... in the leg," Kiba says grudgingly, "after I shot him in the guts."
"Are you defending that sleazeball?"
Kiba shrugs. "Just sayin', if someone shot me in the stomach, I wouldn't pussyfoot around; I'd take the headshot if I could get it. Organ damage is really fucking painful."
Ami looks like she wants to strangle him. "You shot him there knowing that?!"
Ayup.
Akamaru is totally going to give him another injury on top of the one he already has.
Hell, I suspect only Gai's presence is stopping Ami from pasting him one, hospital bed or no.

FurikoMaru said:
"But if no one wants to face Gaara, isn't that proof enough of his strength?" Lee asks.
"How is anyone going to prove we weren't all bribed to drop out?" you reply. "Suna doesn't want a win by default, they want a spectacle."
And we all know who can give them one, don't we?
As if by magic, the façade of an overprotective adult melts away, and the thief re-emerges. Damn right we do.
Lupin,Lupin.
A challenge is just like waving a red flag in front of you, isn't it?
Good to have you on board.

FurikoMaru said:
Gai's chakra has settled down now, from anger to sorrow and regret. He seems resigned; you can already hear him smoothing a facsimile of his usual bombast over his actual feelings. And yet, there's a hint of calm resolution to him, as though he's just made a decision that comforts him somewhat.
"... very well, Ino-chan," he says solemnly. "I will trust your judgement in this matter."
Yay on being regarded as an adult!
It really does seem that Gai hasn't been paying attention to the Intelligence briefings, though.

I'm not entirely sure we're going to enjoy his resolution, though.
FurikoMaru said:
It's as if he just stabbed Neji in the throat. The boy's chakra wails like an air-raid siren, and the notes of his song pound out in short phrases repeating over and over, turning in on themselves and tearing each other apart.
The only outward sign of this is a slight widening of his eyes.
Neji Route Unlocked
Ow.
Again, ow.
Right in the childhood trauma.
And the situations are pretty much the same, too.

FurikoMaru said:
Lee, by contrast, almost flies right out of bed in his agitation.
"Sensei! In that case, please permit me to be the one to fight Gaara!"
The pair of them blink at each other, unnerved by the momentary shared wavelength.
"Don't be ridiculous, Lee! Your senjutsu is not yet perfected," Neji says.
"If I haven't perfected it in three weeks, I'll do five thousand chin-ups and sit-ups and sign up for poison immunity training," Lee swears. "I will not permit my kouhai to be pummelled in my place! Or you, Neji - your Gentle Fist is superb, but-"
Three weeks?
Someone's trying to beat canon!Naruto's record.

FurikoMaru said:
[X] Wait for Gai to break it up. He's their teacher, after all.
[X] Write in.
This really does call for a writein, but inspiration is lacking.
So.

We really don't need one of the guys white knighting in our place and doing themselves an injury; Lee has an established history of taking hits in the service of a larger cause, and Neji has enough trauma here to make his judgement suspect.

Eh.....if I were trying for a write-in I'd say something like this.

[X] "Slow down there boys, we don't even know if one of us will draw Gaara's number or get the chance to fight him. Not that I'm not appreciative of you two willing to put yourselves on the line for me, because I am. I really am. It means a lot to me. But has it occurred to you that I don't want to watch you two get pummeled either?!"
[X] "Yes Ami, we're all hypocrites here. None of us want to watch each other get hurt so we put ourselves on the line instead." Cuff Kiba on the head, gently. "Look, how about this: we back each other up as much as we can in whatever way we can, so that in the case that we fight Gaara we're as well prepared as we can be. I'd suggest we swear not to take stupid risks to set each other at ease, but I don't think a single one of us would mean it. Not like we aren't already taking a stupid risk..."
[X] "And FYI boys? Stop acting like I'm pulling some kind of tragic sacrifice. I'm not stupid. You two might be able to beat me silly in a straight fight if so inclined, but don't think I came into this exam unprepared. I walked in here with plans for how to kick your butts. I'll work something out for Gaara too. I wouldn't walk into the ring otherwise."
-[ ] "Hell, I'll help work out something for you two if you'll let me." Fingers crossed, you'll do it anyway. ~_^

Although the plans we had for beating Lee are somewhat negated by the fact that he's a damn SAGE. -_-

And we even knew about it too. There's, "Lee is as fast as us with his weights off," and then there's, "He knows goddamn senjutsu what the actual fuck."

thats a damn write-in actually.

it's got my vote, if nothing else

[X] "Slow down there boys, we don't even know if one of us will draw Gaara's number or get the chance to fight them. Not that I'm not appreciative of you two willing to put yourselves on the line for me, because I am. I really am. It means a lot to me. But has it occurred to you that I don't want to watch you two get pummeled either?!"
-[X] "Yes Ami, we're all hypocrites here. None of us want to watch each other get hurt so we put ourselves on the line instead." Cuff Kiba on the head, gently. "Look, how about this: we back each other up as much as we can in whatever way we can, so that in the case that we fight Gaara we're as well prepared as we can be. I'd suggest we swear not to take stupid risks to set each other at ease, but I don't think a single one of us would mean it. Not like we aren't already taking a stupid risk..."
--[X] "And FYI boys? Stop acting like I'm pulling some kind of tragic sacrifice. I'm not stupid. You two might be able to beat me silly in a straight fight if so inclined, but don't think I came into this exam unprepared. I walked in here with plans for how to kick your butts. I'll work something out for Gaara too. I wouldn't walk into the ring otherwise."

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
You know, at some point we should offer up sharing info on Gaara so that every one of us has better chances against him, or straight up helping each others' training. Because if any of us draw his number, we don't want our allies getting pounded so we want them in the best shape they can manage.
I'm not sure there is further info to share, not at the moment.
And given that we are trying to befriend the dude, there is a distinct conflict of interest here.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
.....And SHIT. If only we had IC knowledge of Bad Ends. It just occurred to me that Neji's Gentle Fist and targeting of tenketsu could backfire horribly if Gaara decides to launch his chakra and eat the pretty's boy's until he forfeits or dies.
Uh....wow. In that light, Neji fighting Gaara is a spectacularly awful idea.
He could SEE Gaante's chakra, both in his body and this bullet that terrified Gai.
It's a safe bet that he should know using Jyuuken on something like that will be ineffective at best.
Not to mention that Gai should warn him, even if his family don't.

But yeah, it's a fuckterrible idea to use Jyuuken on the chakra monster.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Honestly, I am okay with losing to Gaara. We are not a straight fighter. We do not need to beat the the reincarnation of Dante who lives and breaths combat. Yes, hurts the ego to loose, but it's not like he doesn't deserve to win. Our talents really lie elsewhere.
Plus, even if we beat him in a deal of music, doesn't mean he'd concede. Maybe give us a handicap in acknowledgement of that victory? But conceding....could happen, could not.
I'm not.
I don't really think we can reasonably win, and it's possible winning would make Suna's position worse,which makes that too high a price to pay.
But I really don't like losing.

And saying that our talents lie in another direction is like saying Jiraiya's talents lie as a spymaster; only partly true.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Eh.....if I were trying for a write-in I'd say something like this.
[ ] "Slow down there boys, we don't even know if one of us will draw Gaara's number or get the chance to fight him. Not that I'm not appreciative of you two willing to put yourselves on the line for me, because I am. I really am. It means a lot to me. But has it occurred to you that I don't want to watch you two get pummeled either?!"
[ ] "Yes Ami, we're all hypocrites here. None of us want to watch each other get hurt so we put ourselves on the line instead." Cuff Kiba on the head, gently. "Look, how about this: we back each other up as much as we can in whatever way we can, so that in the case that we fight Gaara we're as well prepared as we can be. I'd suggest we swear not to take stupid risks to set each other at ease, but I don't think a single one of us would mean it. Not like we aren't already taking a stupid risk..."
[ ] "And FYI boys? Stop acting like I'm pulling some kind of tragic sacrifice. I'm not stupid. You two might be able to beat me silly in a straight fight if so inclined, but don't think I came into this exam unprepared. I walked in here with plans for how to kick your butts. I'll work something out for Gaara too. I wouldn't walk into the ring otherwise."
-[ ] "Hell, I'll help work out something for you two if you'll let me." Fingers crossed, you'll do it anyway. ~_^
Pretty good.
The two modifications I would make would be to point out that Gaara hasn't been trying to kill or cripple people either, judging by what he did to this lunkhead*cuff Kiba*
I wouldn't offer to help plan either; we are still competitors after all. Information sharing at best.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Although the plans we had for beating Lee are somewhat negated by the fact that he's a damn SAGE. -_-
And we even knew about it too. There's, "Lee is as fast as us with his weights off," and then there's, "He knows goddamn senjutsu what the actual fuck."
I'm assuming our Lee plan was to get him BEFORE he activated senjutsu.
As far as I can tell, senjutsu does nothing about genjutsu vulnerability either, so Bringer of Darkness would still be effective.

>It's as if he just stabbed Neji in the throat. The boy's chakra wails like an air-raid siren, and the notes of his song pound out in short phrases repeating over and over, turning in on themselves and tearing each other apart.

Nicely poetic, Furiko.

>Ah, Ami.
Neither you or Kiba really are ready to be chuunin, if you can't see how bad the prospect of instability in a major ally is for Konoha security.

Well, to be fair they're the kind of major ally that can be convinced to invade us pretty easily. And then we go back to being friends with them, after.

Ninja.

Guile said:
>Ah, Ami.
Well, to be fair they're the kind of major ally that can be convinced to invade us pretty easily. And then we go back to being friends with them, after.
Ninja.
Realpolitik; given their losses during that war, an alliance was probably the best way to avoid getting jumped by Cloud or Stone.
And to be fair, military dictator impersonated by S-class nukenin makes for a pretty good excuse.
Perhaps we can avoid that particular fiasco if we are sufficiently proactive.

Well their kage is actually kinda dead and replaced... and you know how well dictators work when the one running the show doesn't care a lick about the people he rules.

uju32 said:
I'm not sure there is further info to share, not at the moment.
And given that we are trying to befriend the dude, there is a distinct conflict of interest here.

Eh....that's a pretty good point, but this is a conflict all around. And to be honest Dante!Gaara may approve of the sentiment in how we look out for our friends, especially if it means he gets better fights.

He could SEE Gaante's chakra, both in his body and this bullet that terrified Gai.
It's a safe bet that he should know using Jyuuken on something like that will be ineffective at best.
Not to mention that Gai should warn him, even if his family don't.

But yeah, it's a fuckterrible idea to use Jyuuken on the chakra monster.

I'm remembering a certain Bad End in which Neji still hit the chakra with everything he had for us and was left with burned husks of arms.

So....yeah. Not putting it past him.

I'm not.
I don't really think we can reasonably win, and it's possible winning would make Suna's position worse,which makes that too high a price to pay.
But I really don't like losing.

Agreed.

And saying that our talents lie in another direction is like saying Jiraiya's talents lie as a spymaster; only partly true.

Your point? We're not raw combat, not like Gaara is. We do other stuff and we do it well. The point I'm making is that it's not like we're here to prove we're the best in a cage match, we're not raw unstoppable freight train of destruction.

I'm assuming our Lee plan was to get him BEFORE he activated senjutsu.
As far as I can tell, senjutsu does nothing about genjutsu vulnerability either, so Bringer of Darkness would still be effective.

My point was more Ino totally knew about this before chunin exam and it was kept secret for dramatic reveal. If we'd ever encountered Lee, it'd be such shenanigans for our plans to suddenly have this monkey wrench thrown at us.

uju32 said:
Pretty good.
The two modifications I would make would be to point out that Gaara hasn't been trying to kill or cripple people either, judging by what he did to this lunkhead*cuff Kiba*

Think it's self-evident but eh.

I wouldn't offer to help plan either; we are still competitors after all. Information sharing at best.

Dude, two guys are essentially offering to bite the biggest bullet in the exam for us, possibly literally. I think we are past the point of keeping secrets from each other when we're sticking our necks out so far already. I'd LIKE to avoid dropping Bringer of Darkness, but frankly, if atmosphere seems to be more, "Band together to get through Gaara in one piece since we're not gonna do the smart thing and forfeit."

[X] "Slow down there boys, we don't even know if one of us will draw Gaara's number or get the chance to fight them. Not that I'm not appreciative of you two willing to put yourselves on the line for me, because I am. I really am. It means a lot to me. But has it occurred to you that I don't want to watch you two get pummeled either?!"
-[X] "Yes Ami, we're all hypocrites here. None of us want to watch each other get hurt so we put ourselves on the line instead." Cuff Kiba on the head, gently. "Look, how about this: we back each other up as much as we can in whatever way we can, so that in the case that we fight Gaara we're as well prepared as we can be. I'd suggest we swear not to take stupid risks to set each other at ease, but I don't think a single one of us would mean it. Not like we aren't already taking a stupid risk..."
--[X] "And FYI boys? Stop acting like I'm pulling some kind of tragic sacrifice. I'm not stupid. You two might be able to beat me silly in a straight fight if so inclined, but don't think I came into this exam unprepared. I walked in here with plans for how to kick your butts. I'll work something out for Gaara too. I wouldn't walk into the ring otherwise."

... I'm sticking to my original vote.

And now it occurs to me that Gai may or may not give his blessing to his two students. Of course, in this matter they may defy his wishes anyway. Forgot about that. Well, if someone wants to fix it up I guess go for it, or let it rid. Furiko would probably go with the flow and spirit of piece anyway.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Eh....that's a pretty good point, but this is a conflict all around. And to be honest Dante!Gaara may approve of the sentiment in how we look out for our friends, especially if it means he gets better fights.
Arguable, I guess.
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
I'm remembering a certain Bad End in which Neji still hit the chakra with everything he had for us and was left with burned husks of arms.
So....yeah. Not putting it past him.
That was the equivalent of trying to beat out the flames on a burning person with your hands.
It's one thing to do it as a desperation move to save someone's life, quite another to go into an optional match choosing to stick your hands into a burning fire.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Your point? We're not raw combat, not like Gaara is. We do other stuff and we do it well. The point I'm making is that it's not like we're here to prove we're the best in a cage match, we're not raw unstoppable freight train of destruction.
My point is that combat isn't a cage match.
Not even these exams are.
And we can be fantastic at it on Gaante's level without being a freight train.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
My point was more Ino totally knew about this before chunin exam and it was kept secret for dramatic reveal. If we'd ever encountered Lee, it'd be such shenanigans for our plans to suddenly have this monkey wrench thrown at us.
Point.
Furiko will have her fun....

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Think it's self-evident but eh.
Given Neji's emotional response to this?
I think it does have to be explicitly spelled out to remind him that this is not the same situation as with his father.
And Lee tends to lead with his heart anyway.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Dude, two guys are essentially offering to bite the biggest bullet in the exam for us, possibly literally. I think we are past the point of keeping secrets from each other when we're sticking our necks out so far already. I'd LIKE to avoid dropping Bringer of Darkness, but frankly, if atmosphere seems to be more, "Band together to get through Gaara in one piece since we're not gonna do the smart thing and forfeit."
Eh.
Was it war? Certainly.
This? Is still an exam, with someone who is potentially lethal, but who has demonstrated an adult level of restraint in his dealings with you and yours.
And we would be limited in conversation with the Suna 3 by knowing in detail what our friends are planning.
The tangled weave of loyalties that binds us takes careful navigating, especially if you are aiming to establish firm personal relations with Gaante et al.

That said
[X]Plan Hymn
Closer to my line of thought anyway, barring a personalized writein

Actually now that I think about it does the last part of hymn's plan make sense? I mean we just said that there's a chance that we may not be able to avoid fighting Gaara.

nightblade said:
Actually now that I think about it does the last part of hymn's plan make sense? I mean we just said that there's a chance that we may not be able to avoid fighting Gaara.

All it's saying is that we'll have a plan.

An epic rock-off is totally a plan.

Maybe not a good one, but that depends on your priorities... And, possibly, whether or not you can shoot lightning bolts by jamming out hard enough.

Vindictus said:
All it's saying is that we'll have a plan.

An epic rock-off is totally a plan.

Maybe not a good one, but that depends on your priorities... And, possibly, whether or not you can shoot lightning bolts by jamming out hard enough.
This is a damn good point. We should listen to this man.

We can learn genjutsu with our koto. Why do we need to use our fan for Ranton?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back