• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

uju32 said:
Nope, LIFE is more fun when you meet it head on.
Disaster is easier to avoid when you can see it coming.

Eh, starts with, "Disaster's not going away," "More fun to meet head on." Depends how you interpret it, although if you count disasters as part of life it certainly counts.

Certainly sounds like running straight into everyone good or ill. Like people who consider getting lost to be going on an adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
uju32 said:
Good for you!
Poor Ami is probably wondering the same damn thing.
Ami: Actually, I'm wondering why Ino is trying to get between a knight and a dragon. This is a golden opportunity to make one jerk knock some sense into another jerk and she's throwing it away to stick a fork in the wall socket. Again.

uju32 said:
Okay.
I was joking before, but Neji REALLY is playing the part of a Harlequin lead to the hilt.
Let's review what you did this week, shall we? :))

You aren't a plucky yeoman's daughter/servant girl/noblewoman/governess who stupidly goes around talking tough to vastly more powerful people so much as you are Hunter S Thompson in hairpins.

uju32 said:
Let's ask the GM; sounds more like a figure of speech to me.
Ino: Oh, the fate thing? Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with that, but he does seem to be kind of a superstitious guy. Hinata says he sometimes does divination with those I Ching sticks; maybe that has something to do with it.

FurikoMaru said:
You aren't a plucky yeoman's daughter/servant girl/noblewoman/governess who stupidly goes around talking tough to vastly more powerful people so much as you are Hunter S Thompson in hairpins.

...I dunno, compared to Gaara we kinda do fit that model. I mean if we had to fight him right now we are so screwed it defies description.

Before then, yeah, we hold our own more than fine with wit, guile, and charm. In these matches, right now we are pretty outclassed. Which makes sense. We're a thief versus the being that solo'd Hell and its King.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
...I dunno, compared to Gaara we kinda do fit that model. I mean if we had to fight him right now we are so screwed it defies description.

Before then, yeah, we hold our own more than fine with wit, guile, and charm. In these matches, right now we are pretty outclassed. Which makes sense. We're a thief versus the being that solo'd Hell and its King.
Oh, I wasn't talking powerlevels, I was talking level of insane stupidity.

A teenage girl who 'isn't afraid of bullies' is endearingly dumb.

A teenage girl who trolls jounin, considers custom-made-on-the-spot explosive seals a friendly hello to a rival, and flirts with former missing-nin and walking nukes? Jesus H. Jumped-Up Christ. At this rate he might have to ask you out just to make sure you don't die before he gets the chance. XD

[X] " Because Disaster is clearly my one true love."

FurikoMaru said:

A teenage girl who trolls jounin, considers custom-made-on-the-spot explosive seals a friendly hello to a rival, and flirts with former missing-nin and walking nukes? Jesus H. Jumped-Up Christ. At this rate he might have to ask you out just to make sure you don't die before he gets the chance. XD

Okay, that is pretty funny.

And flirts with former missing-nin? Deidara? Wait, I don't think we explicitly did that....so that's how it looks?

Nifty.

Somehow I suspect the, "Meet life head on," philosophy is a lot more compatible with Gaara than Neji. :p

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Okay, that is pretty funny.

And flirts with former missing-nin? Deidara? Wait, I don't think we explicitly did that....so that's how it looks?
To Neji it does. *snicker*

[X] "It's not like Gaara wants to kill me or anything; he's definitely got enough self-control to keep whatever the hell is up with his chakra from leaving a smoking crater in Kiba's leg, so why should we assume he doesn't have enough to keep from caving in my skull?"

Also I find it really funny that Neji has a thing for us when canon Ino tried seducing him in the forest and he completely ignored her. Or at least in the anime.

Unclouded said:
Also I find it really funny that Neji has a thing for us when canon Ino tried seducing him in the forest and he completely ignored her. Or at least in the anime.
I love canon-Ino, but seductress material she ain't.

Unclouded said:
I'm sensing a trend here. Is there anyone else who ignored/rejected canon Ino?

Torgamous said:
I'm sensing a trend here. Is there anyone else who ignored/rejected canon Ino?
Sai. Upon developing the theory that women prefer lies about their appearance to what someone actually thinks, he calls Ino 'beautiful'.

Remember when I said if you picked painting/drawing to learn first, way back in your preschool days, you'd meet a quiet little boy at the park?

[X] "It's not like disaster's just going to go away. Life's more fun when you meet it head on."

>"Why must you always court disaster?" he growls, closing his eyes in barely-suppressed frustration.

[X] Hey, that's not my fault, disaster just shows up at the door with flowers and a box of chocolates. Then your choices are either hide under the covers or sit him down and gently explain to him it's not going to work out.

Wait, that metaphor went weird on me. I blame the shipping discussion. How about,
[X] Hey, that's not my fault, disaster just shows up at the door with flowers and a box of chocolates. When you look this good, you don't have to go looking!
Damn it, Ino.

FurikoMaru said:
Sai. Upon developing the theory that women prefer lies about their appearance to what someone actually thinks, he calls Ino 'beautiful'.

Remember when I said if you picked painting/drawing to learn first, way back in your preschool days, you'd meet a quiet little boy at the park?
So, the Sai route... Was it missed completely?

FurikoMaru said:
Ami: Actually, I'm wondering why Ino is trying to get between a knight and a dragon. This is a golden opportunity to make one jerk knock some sense into another jerk and she's throwing it away to stick a fork in the wall socket. Again.
Ino: Because he's Hinata's cousin, duh. Certainly not because he has too pretty a face to be beaten in......

FurikoMaru said:
Let's review what you did this week, shall we? :))
FurikoMaru said:
Huh.
When you put it that way, Ino really does come off as suicidally thrill-seeking.
Though I didn't realize anyone(besides maybe Kuyo) would have seen her talk to Deidara as flirting.

FurikoMaru said:
To Neji it does. *snicker*
Oh dear.
Teenage boys, how well I know them.
Best to keep him FAR away from Gaante.

FurikoMaru said:
Ino: Oh, the fate thing? Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with that, but he does seem to be kind of a superstitious guy. Hinata says he sometimes does divination with those I Ching sticks; maybe that has something to do with it.
Okay.
I do hope Naruto still has the Therapy thing going on, because I think this is beyond us without major investment.

FurikoMaru said:
Aww.
You mean we could have saved him from Danzo?
:(

Ah, but at least he's trying to work out what Fate has in store (I Ching divinations), rather than be sure everyone is born into some ridiculous ninja caste system.

Now it's just a hobby, like those girls that tell their horoscopes.

Guile said:
Ah, but at least he's trying to work out what Fate has in store (I Ching divinations), rather than be sure everyone is born into some ridiculous ninja caste system.
Which is really the only healthy way to approach the problem in a universe where fate is and has always been a thing.

Seriously, I know we like to be all Western-individualist about the concept, but look at Jiraiya. There's a prophecy that one of Jiraiya's students will be Ninja Jesus, and what happens? One of them dies for Konoha's sins, a second judges Konoha's sins and then dies for them, and a third goes around bringing peace and love to every fucking body he meets. I mean, holy crap.

FurikoMaru said:
Which is really the only healthy way to approach the problem in a universe where fate is and has always been a thing.
Seriously, I know we like to be all Western-individualist about the concept, but look at Jiraiya. There's a prophecy that one of Jiraiya's students will be Ninja Jesus, and what happens? One of them dies for Konoha's sins, a second judges Konoha's sins and then dies for them, and a third goes around bringing peace and love to every fucking body he meets. I mean, holy crap.
But how much of that is self-fulfilling ?
I mean, tell a true believer that he will raise a child to save the world, and he will do his damndest to do just that.

I mean, you only ever hear about the ones that came true, and people have always had a way of selectively interpreting the truth of predictions anyway. Even the Toad Sage ended up reinterpreting his own prophecy to incorporate two people instead of one.

FurikoMaru said:

a world where fate is a thing, but only very special individuals can actually SEE it, and never with any reliability is as good as a world with no fate unless you happen to be the toad sage or Jiraiya.

Even if every single person you meets has a fate, if nobody sees or talks about it, then what difference does it make?

Neji was guessing at people's fates in canon, using their background and upbringing as a guide, but anyone who knows anything about prophesy knows that's not going to work.

unless This Neji actually has a Seer's talent or a magical crystal ball, then his divining rods are just toys.

My stance on it would probably be something like "Yeah, I probably have some sort of destiny, but unless someone actually tells me what it is, then I'm never going to know, so I might as well just wing it."

Oh yes.
Concerning Toad Seer's Prophecy, it said something along the lines of
"Will save the world, or destroy it."
Way to hedge his bets, eh?

uju32 said:
Oh yes.
Concerning Toad Seer's Prophecy, it said something along the lines of
"Will save the world, or destroy it."
Way to hedge his bets, eh?

eh, it could be worse, he could have said "will save the world, destroy it, or perhaps do nothing"

Huh, you know if we were clever enough maybe Rasengan as a technique would work for us. A-Rank ninjutsu is still probably utterly out of our league here, but depending on whether we can 'reclaim' the chakra put into it instead of letting it dissipate we might make it work.

Like, store a few Rasengan's worth of chakra in a scroll, withdraw the chakra, use it, and if we can suck the chakra back up without shredding our hand or whatever it gets near, we only lose whatever chakra was 'used up' in maintaining the spinning of all the chakra.

And if we get to the point where we don't have to 'draw and use' chakra, we could just suck the stuff back into ourselves after hitting someone with it. Making an A-Rank tech surprisingly cost efficient. Unless all the chakra put out is automatically expended, in which case no dice.

Wow, this is such goddamn cheese.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Huh, you know if we were clever enough maybe Rasengan as a technique would work for us. A-Rank ninjutsu is still probably utterly out of our league here, but depending on whether we can 'reclaim' the chakra put into it instead of letting it dissipate we might make it work.
Like, store a few Rasengan's worth of chakra in a scroll, withdraw the chakra, use it, and if we can suck the chakra back up without shredding our hand or whatever it gets near, we only lose whatever chakra was 'used up' in maintaining the spinning of all the chakra.
And if we get to the point where we don't have to 'draw and use' chakra, we could just suck the stuff back into ourselves after hitting someone with it. Making an A-Rank tech surprisingly cost efficient. Unless all the chakra put out is automatically expended, in which case no dice.
Wow, this is such goddamn cheese.
I thought you noticed that the moment you alluded to Time Braid.

The moment we figured out chakra storage scrolls, we unlocked the possibility of A-rank ninjutsu.
Hell, I'm willing to wager that the workaround for our oddly leaky chakra reserves will possibly involve figuring out how to maintain one of those safely in a dream complex.
I'd have wagered a body seal, but Ino is considering infiltration after all.

What would make it sweet would be if we still showed up as a low chakra reserve ninja, despite having something like that active.
:p

uju32 said:
I thought you noticed that the moment you alluded to Time Braid.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The moment we figured out chakra storage scrolls, we unlocked the possibility of A-rank ninjutsu.

I am aware of the virtues of my own idea, yes. It was always possible with how much we could save, although pehaps limited by how much our body can contain.

What I was describing was not performing an A-Rank ninjutsu, but performing it and utterly slashing its cost to use. As in, as long as you have more than X chakra, it only consumes 0.01X chakra to use the attack. We pull out the full amount to use the attack, but only 'consume' a fraction it in executing the attack, and recoup the rest. Rasengan seems uniquely suited to this strategy.

That kind of work around.

[X] "It's not like disaster's just going to go away. Life's more fun when you meet it head on."

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
I have no idea what you're talking about.
When you mentioned Demonic Sage Mode, I thought you would have remembered some of the other cheese techniques in that fic.
Specifically, Sakura's chakra storage seal.
Which was tattoed and stored in a memory palace inside her matrix.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
I am aware of the virtues of my own idea, yes. It was always possible with how much we could save, although pehaps limited by how much our body can contain.
What I was describing was not performing an A-Rank ninjutsu, but performing it and utterly slashing its cost to use. As in, as long as you have more than X chakra, it only costs 0.01X chakra to use the attack.
That kind of work around.
Nah, I don't think that's possible.
Activate and deactivate it, saving most of the chakra?
Sure.
But once we apply technique to enemy, I expect the chakra for that technique will be totally expended.

uju32 said:
When you mentioned Demonic Sage Mode, I thought you would have remembered some of the other cheese techniques in that fic.
Specifically, Sakura's chakra storage seal.
Which was tattoed and stored in a memory palace inside her matrix.

....Nope, not ringing a bell there.

Nah, I don't think that's possible.
Activate and deactivate it, saving most of the chakra?
Sure.
But once we apply technique to enemy, I expect the chakra for that technique will be totally expended.

Rasengan is a bunch of whirling chakra in our hand, yes? It happens to be really good at shredding stuff. And unlike a lot of other moves, this hunk of chakra is still right next to our hand. The energy doesn't magically get expended hitting someone but not before, it's gonna be expended moving it.

If the trick to Rasengan, and I honestly don't recall details (you have no idea how sleep drunk I am right now, I can't even be arsed to look at the wikia right now), is always outputting that much chakra throughout and having it swirl as it expends itself, no dice. If it's put out a lot of chakra, then spin that hunk of chakra, then that means some chakra is not being used. It's essentially some whirling construct. So, instead of letting it disperse after you're done with it, suck it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back