• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Flickering Embers [MTG/ZnT] Quest

EnderofWorlds said:
Why, wanna be able to shout "Here I am! Rock you like a Hurricane!"?

Honestly, the sentiment of just mastering all five colors sounds nice; but I feel the reality will be that while we're capable of, and know a lot of spells in all 5 colors, we're going to default on a main color or two when things get hot. And I'm really uncomfortable with W/R if that's what it ends up being, it's too contrary to my playstyle. That and it reeks of riding the canon railroad because there's no reason not to IC.

No. More the hurricane fuck you I did in my first game of mtg.... I killed everything and everyone in the game I was in.. . Fun times.

Ah, I like Green because it's got Adaption, Growth, and Instinct nicely hemmed in.

Also, who doesn't want Louise to have an army of elves at her beck and call?

Crazyfoxdemon, read the prompt above the choice list, as well as the GM's explicit hints.

Those choices All lead to more control of her powers. They also pick which of those abilities she starts working on First.

Working towards Instants will increase fine control drastically, as that's Necessary for being able to cast spells quickly and without problems.

Enchantment just means that instead of working towards combat casting speeds, we're working towards making stuff with magic.

Instants are the way to go, for me at least.

Graaaah... this is so hard to decide.

Okay, it was easy to decide on

[X] Instants

because I've been in a fight or two before and I'm not dumb. People are going to be after Louise because duh, canon plus quest, and tempting as the idea of having ALL THE FAMILIARS, TREMBLE AT MY MIGHT YOU PUNY-BRAINED ELEMENTAL NEANDERTHALS is, and let our enemies worry about speed as they run the fuck away, what're we supposed to do if they get shot in before we can summon the damn things?

And I guess [X] Helping in the infirmary is a good way to make up for the rampant destruction we caused.

But colours? Do I go with what suits my instincts (Red/Blue, according to my fiancé) so that if I get an idea there's more likely to be something in either category that can do what I want it to? Do I go with Red/Black - what said fiancé prefers to play - because he'll be better able to let me in on the nastiest things to be done with both dominions? Do I go with Red/White because it seems superficially to be what a daughter of Karin the Heavy Wind would be into, making it hilarious when Louise finds out about its less savoury applications (which I assume exist)? Do I go with Red/Green because yes, Vin, yes I do want an army of elves?

>_____< This is too difficult! I'll get back to you.

In response to what people have said while I slept..

All choices will be viable towards combat. Granted, some will work much better if you figure out that combat is coming ahead of time and enchant yourself or an ally into a wrecking ball of destruction, but no area which includes spells like Pacifism or Wrath of God is useless in combat.

Sorcery is slower then Instants, but not as slow as true void magic, that takes several minutes of chanting. Instead it's more like ten or twenty seconds, depending on the spell and the caster's skill. And you've all seen/read the traditional canon duel with a summon focused character to see how that path can be used in direct combat, yes?

Instants will not increase fine control, that's enchantments which tends to be very complicated weaves of magic that reward fine control. Instants let you master simple to cast spells that don't demand ten or twenty seconds of chanting and crafting a spell matrix.

As well, as I said earlier, Louise will not have colors so much as trademark spells and skills.

Skill at casting instants is separate from skill at casting red spells, which is separate from a subkill that is about summoning demons. (And as always continual focus on an area can unlock new subskills like your new affinity with Power Overwhelming.)

Trademark/Mastered spells, on the other hand, are spells she has.. well, mastered. She doesn't have to think to much about them, she doesn't have to walk herself through casting them.. Those spells are the ones she can cast on reflex. Or as close to reflex as you can get to things like enchantments and summonings and sorcery spells. Pyretic Ritual has been locked in as one, but you'll still be getting at least two more in this turn. (Modified by events and votes of course)

And finally, for a digression on how artifacts work.. Summoning an artifact creature is no different then summoning a normal creature. Making an artifact.. that's not actually a spell. If you want the Great Sword Of ElfMurder, you need to craft it ahead of time yourself. Once you've actually made it though.. well, then you can summon it to yourself at will, or to your minions hands if they're within range.

Sure its fun to be able to quickly cast spells of destruction. But being able to buff yourself up beforehand.. And being able to summon things before going into the duel.. Much better.

And really, after seeing what losing control of a creature can do, don't you think Louise would want to get that under control? So yeah, I'll be sticking to my choice. I mean do we just want her to become a magic cannon? Or something more?

Happerry said:
And you've all seen/read the traditional canon duel with a summon focused character to see how that path can be used in direct combat, yes?

Actually, no. I don't know how any of this works, beyond a rough understanding of what each of the colours entail.

Haven't played the game since I was seven, and even then it was just matches between me and my brother.

... see, now you're assuming I've read Zero no Tsukaima canon. ^_^; Ain't nobody got time for that.

See, why would we read the crappily handled Original Novels when we can just read the considerably better quality fanon?

FurikoMaru said:
... see, now you're assuming I've read Zero no Tsukaima canon. ^_^; Ain't nobody got time for that.
Good.

If you ever plan to, read the light novels and just forget the anime even is a thing.

Vindictus said:
See, why would we read the crappily handled Original Novels when we can just read the considerably better quality fanon?
Because fanon is a dumb and fickle thing.

At least be familiar with the source... Easier to make good fanon that way~

I just don't see all that much of a distinction between reading a book, watching a faithful or improved adaptation (The Godfather is the classic example, but there are others), and hearing people smarter than the author talk about canon.

And trust me, no matter how many abilities are ascribed to Voidhaxx, no matter how many evil-stupid-Karins people write, no matter what you guys do, none of you can compare to Gundam Wing's fandom in its early days. Those bitches were from a parallel reality where the show was a BL harem anime, there is no other adequate explanation for some of the shit they came up with.

Edit: ... oh. Vin wasn't being sarcastic. o_O This is a welcome change of pace from the tvtropes Nasu thread.

And so it is, that in the days that follow, Louise spends her time practicing...
[9] Her ability to launch spells instantly, at will and at speed (Instants) -EnderofWorlds, Emral282, Redon, Jiven, Jans, minuseven, MacroDaemon, Darik29, FurikoMaru
[2] The complexity and power of her spells (Sorceries) -Scope, bastur2
[1] Spell effects that are anchored onto objects (Enchantments and Artifacts) -Biigoh
[2] Molding long lasting patterns of magic, that continue without her active attention (Enchantments and Summons) -Scia, crazyfoxdemon

But beyond the red song that gleams in her dreams, what other color of magic does she find herself calling upon?
[5] White, Order and Peace, Law and Stasis -Scope, Jiven, minuseven, MacroDaemon, Darik29
[6] Blue, Perceptive and Experimenting, Scheming and Unattached -EnderofWorlds, Emral282, Jans, bastur2, Biigoh, crazyfoxdemon
[2] Green, Growing and Vital, Deadly and Merciless -Vindictus, Redon
[1] Black, Ambitious and Determined, Malice and Curses -Scia

And beyond that, what else do you do with your time? What events happen as the world moves on?
[6] Kirche, that Zerbst, seems to be poking around for some reason.. as does that blue haired friend of hers. -Emral282, Redon, Jans, Scia, bastur2, crazyfoxdemon
[7] Do to the extreme amount of injured, you find yourself pressed into helping the medical staff. -Scope, Jiven, minuseven, MacroDaemon, Darik29, FurikoMaru, Biigoh
[0] The headmaster's Secretary seems interested in you for some reason.. or at least has conscripted you to help her out with some stuff -Biigoh
[0] Count Mott has been seen around the academy quite often recently...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No love at all for Poor Mott it seems.. Oh well, no friend at court for you. (Well, besides the princess) But we also have a tie in the 'the world also has stuff happening' area. Anyone want to give me a tiebreaker?

And now locked down on Blue and Instant.

I will now take suggestions for one blue and one red instant that Louise will focus her efforts on learning over this time, of no more then three mana cost in all, per spell. (X counts as 1 in this case) Blue/Red duocolors are acceptable, but only one of them will be accepted.

As a reminder, you're also mastering Pyretic Ritual as a result from the last turn.

Edit: And tie broken on count of being medical!

Seething song and reverberation should also count? Power feed back loop...

Happerry. .. twin cast for blue. :3

Sigh... change vote to help medical staff. Take some responsibility.

Here are a couple instants that I think would be useful.

Reverberate
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=290289

Conterflux
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253524

Blustersquall
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253582

Street Spasm
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=265384

Fire/Ice - Build that kit!

Counterspell, Brainstorm, Ancestral Recall (heh), or Lightning Bolt are all purty useful for cheap.

changing to
[x]blue better izzet then borosas thatcombination only knows tobeat peoples face in

As people seem to have missed this in my last post.. Votes Are Now Locked.

Blue, Instant, and Hospital won.

Am now seeking interesting card suggestions for which spells Louise Masters in her practice time. If you must vote, vote on fun cards.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191323

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=186613

Let's MASTER Bane Fire~

Alright, tentatively...
[X] Counterflux

Proposing

Ancestral Recal ( http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=692 )
Dunno how it would work, mechanics wise... Would Louise "remember" 3 spells?... but it seems fun, thematical and useful.
Backdraft ( http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1558 )
Annihilating Fire ( http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=270801 )
How can anyone resist that name?
Bewilder ( http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=118901 )
Sounds fun.

173.jpg
52.jpg

Because you can Stifle the lose trigger on Final Fortune; and I want our first artifact to be this:
3.jpg

:Takes Heavy blunt object, starts to beat EnderofWorlds over the head with it:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back