• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Flickering Embers [MTG/ZnT] Quest

Well blue is Meta-magic and time-magic and mind-magic... i can kinda see your point Still Blue/green mix for the win!

Carrnage said:
Well blue is Meta-magic and time-magic and mind-magic... i can kinda see your point Still Blue/green mix for the win!
As long as we get blue somewhere in out style in this quest I'm happy. I was rather disappointed in our ultra-red start, but I think we can go to Blue/Red easily enough. Then from that to U/B/R

U/G is also nice, but I'm not sure people will go for it; it looks like we have a lot of people who want to main red, for some god-forsaken reason...

Edit: Not that I have anything against red; I play B/R Kaervek in EDH, it's just...really boring from a meta-perspective. Spam lightning, fire, and earthquakes; or variants thereof. Fast, hard-hitting creatures that burn out until you get a dragon out to kill shit. Wash, rinse, repeat.

EnderofWorlds said:
Yeah, they are; then again most nerds kinda fall under that mindset. Either that of Richard Garfield was attacked by a tree and saved by a dolphin, thus forever marking Blue as the best color and Green as the worst.

Oh, like how an Irish guy stole both Urobuchi and Nasu's girlfriends.

At the same time. 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Her ability to launch spells instantly, at will and at speed (Instants)

[X] White, Order and Peace, Law and Stasis

[X] Do to the extreme amount of injured, you find yourself pressed into helping the medical staff.

Oh dear. Well, if we can do things like that mana accel combo into a big hit and some people at least are trying to lean U/R might I suggest...

143.jpg

and something like this deck? Stupidly fast, surprisingly reliable, and with access to counter-magic or empty the warrens when you need to switch things up a bit.

(Once ascension gets going you end up drawing cards and producing mana essentially for free, then you Past in Flames to do it all again, and finish by dropping a grapeshot for every spell you've cast. Or just casting a stupidly large banefire if you've boarded it in for some reason.)

[X] Blue, Perceptive and Experimenting, Scheming and Unattached
[X] Kirche, that Zerbst, seems to be poking around for some reason.. as does that blue haired friend of hers.

Hey... I love my mono red deck... has no creatures beyond my elementals what sets lands on fire. All i do is burn and set things up for more burns....

I also love my mono blue counter mill deck... has some controls and such.

But red fits louise so perfectly. Thus going in the vein of nuke it all works.

As Louise is not in an episode of yugioh where people actually have highly flammable decks they cart around with them, or the Lilith Game thread where people cart around almost indestructible constructs of semisolid magic, I must inform you that Louise will not be limited to a 'deck'

Instead she shall have things like 'Skill' and 'Experience' and 'Standby/Trademark Spells" and "Hitting the other guy over the head with a heavy blunt object".

No, wait, 'Hitting the other guy over the head with a heavy blunt object' is what I'm going to do to anyone who tries to break the world in an unfun manner.

(Also, just to point out, in the 'real world' you don't have a neat graveyard where every spell you cast goes into. If Louise actually learned that one it'd work by some sort of interaction with spells you've casted in the last few minutes, so it's a bit less powerful then some of you might expect.)

And as a fair warning, while Louise does have lots of power, she's lacking the skill trait that scene could have given her, and unlike most other native heavy hitters, she's critically lacking on the kind of experience needed to make fast and effective choices in heavy combat.

Of course, this vote does offer the chance to make up for some of that, depending on people's choices.

Anyway, good night now, I'll respond to anything new that needs a response in the morning, where I'll probably count up the votes and start asking for card suggestions for her new masteries in the then winning categories.

I will note that there is no greater joy than kiling your oponent by milling them to death. Oh no more cards? Too bad, so sad...

Biigoh said:
I will note that there is no greater joy than kiling your oponent by milling them to death. Oh no more cards? Too bad, so sad...

T_T Someone beat my on their upkeep once, before the no-card draw.

[x] Molding long lasting patterns of magic, that continue without her active attention (Enchantments and Summons)

[x] Black, Ambitious and Determined, Malice and Curses

[x ] Kirche, that Zerbst, seems to be poking around for some reason.. as does that blue haired friend of hers.

[x ] The complexity and power of her spells

[ X] Blue, Perceptive and Experimenting, Scheming and Unattached

[X ] Kirche, that Zerbst, seems to be poking around for some reason.. as does that blue haired friend of hers

Biigoh said:
Hey... I love my mono red deck... has no creatures beyond my elementals what sets lands on fire. All i do is burn and set things up for more burns....

I also love my mono blue counter mill deck... has some controls and such.

But red fits louise so perfectly. Thus going in the vein of nuke it all works.
I'd also like to temper that fiery temper with blue so we don't go into a mindless fury when pushed into a corner. Also, if I wanted that kind of Louise I'd probably read the LNs.

A Louise capable of calm, reasoned actions; yet filled with passion and ambition? That I can get behind.

[X] Do to the extreme amount of injured, you find yourself pressed into helping the medical staff.

Magic doesnt dictate personality. Personality dictates magic [and whatever mana is available]

Biigoh said:
Magic doesnt dictate personality. Personality dictates magic [and whatever mana is available]
Now we're getting into 'chicken and egg' territory here; because one can just as easily justify the more one practices a school/color of magic the more their personality begins to change from it. Nature vs. Nurture, etc. etc.

There's also the fact that no one stays static; especially at Louise's age, where puberty hits hard and the teenage mind begins to ask those pesky questions of 'who am I' and such. So assuming that we can't change Louise's personality is simply silly; because we're at a point in her life where we very well can. And I'd like to add on a bit of calm, rational reasoning to the canonically fiery, passionate Louise. It makes for a nice balance; methodical, but no to the point where she's robotic. Passionate, but not to reckless abandon.

...And that is why I didn't want to bring personality into this (also because it's my personal theory that MtG magic works in sort of a feedback loop in terms of the caster's personality; the more you spam Red Magic nonstop the more reckless, passionate, free-loving, etc. you become. It continues to the point where it completely polarizes you; where to describe you, there is no better description but Red. Same for the other colors.)

Eh... Personally, I think the five elements should be balanced a bit better myself, but until the makers stop being nerds with a bias towards nerding... Yyyya.

Okay, heard some arguments, and heard GM say we missed something majorly important in that update, but eh. Switching my vote to this.

Read the GM's post up the page a bit. He says we missed an important skill trait we Could have gained there. Also, we lack the ability to cast Quickly in any fashion.

Can't do anything about the missed Skill Trait, but going for Instants should help with our apparently slow casting time.

Darik29 said:
Read the GM's post up the page a bit. He says we missed an important skill trait we Could have gained there. Also, we lack the ability to cast Quickly in any fashion.

Can't do anything about the missed Skill Trait, but going for Instants should help with our apparently slow casting time.
You mean the graveyard bit? Cause that's because we don't have a magical section in our soul/mind/whatever designated graveyard for our spells to go into after they're used. Mainly because real life magic wouldn't work like that. At all.

Edit: I see what you mean now; and I have no idea what it could be, though I think it's related to our ties to lands. Because we didn't really make one; we just sorta took ALL THE RED MANA and made a big boom.

We lost out on CONTROL, we got INFINITE POWER instead... ^_^;

Which means when we hit the invasion arcs? We're going to NUKE 'EM ALL!

[X] Spell effects that are anchored onto objects (Enchantments and Artifacts)
[X] The headmaster's Secretary seems interested in you for some reason.. or at least has conscripted you to help her out with some stuff

Simply put, White is Useful... for things like Holy Day, Circle Protection [Color]
Artifacts and Enchantments are VERY nice things, after all, who doesn't like shiny toys...
Mathilda~

White's beating Blue 6 to 4...*sigh*

I mean; if we end up maining W/R it won't be enough to make me drop the quest, but it'll be damn close because Louise was practically already W/R incarnate in canon. And canon is boring as hell; doesn't anyone want to shake things up by changing Louise a bit?

EnderofWorlds said:
White's beating Blue 6 to 4...*sigh*
I mean; if we end up maining W/R it won't be enough to make me drop the quest, but it'll be damn close because Louise was practically already W/R incarnate in canon. And canon is boring as hell; doesn't anyone want to shake things up by changing Louise a bit?

I still feel we should have green... just cuz Hurricane

Biigoh said:
I still feel we should have green... just cuz Hurricane
Why, wanna be able to shout "Here I am! Rock you like a Hurricane!"?

Honestly, the sentiment of just mastering all five colors sounds nice; but I feel the reality will be that while we're capable of, and know a lot of spells in all 5 colors, we're going to default on a main color or two when things get hot. And I'm really uncomfortable with W/R if that's what it ends up being, it's too contrary to my playstyle. That and it reeks of riding the canon railroad because there's no reason not to IC.

[X] Molding long lasting patterns of magic, that continue without her active attention (Enchantments and Summons)

[X] Kirche, that Zerbst, seems to be poking around for some reason.. as does that blue haired friend of hers.

After all this destruction, we need to go a more contemplative path.. To learn more about what's going on.. And really.. Izzet would be more fun than Boros for Louise.

And really, any deck can be good and fun. I have a White/Black standard deck right now whose whole purpose is to give me life, and take away my opponenets'.. All the creatures are just their as sheilds pretty much...

Crazyfoxdemon, we can't cast spells quickly. Like, at all. And if, hell When, we get into combat? If we can't cast quickly, we're dead.

Blue is fine and all, but Instants are Desperately necessary for us to work on before we get into a major fight and die horrifically because we took too long casting a spell.

Darik29 said:
Blue is fine and all, but Instants are Desperately necessary for us to work on before we get into a major fight and die horrifically because we took too long casting a spell.

I agree completely. But at this point in time.. Where Louise caused all that damage because she lost control of her summons.. I think it'd be more likely and better for her to learn how to control said summons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back