• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Make a Contract With Me! [Lag Backup Thread]

Vindictus said:
Well. I suppose eating grief seeds is kind of like cannibalism, isn't it? But on the other hand, the transformation from Magus to Monster is a quite dramatic metamorphasis- Almost as great as the one from Man to Magus. I wonder if it really counts as cannibalism for any of the three to consume one of the others.
Hm... I suppose one could look at it however they like. Another alternate view is that it's only cannibalism to consume one of the others that one is not naturally inclined to consume, like a Magician eating a mortal.
We could have had our own Rochelle!
Didn't everything she touched turn to shit? Or did SB manage to overcome that tendency eventually?
THE SHINY. Obviously, the witch was a former spacebattler who wished literally for the shiney! I wonder how that could possibly have led to them witching out-?
Heh.

NOW WE BURN THE WITCH.
Hey, I managed not to say it. :p
Oh boy, we killed her for the sake of dead people! How appropriately moral. Perhaps we should go save kittens from oncoming trains, next?
And to save her future victims. And because she is made of delicious Grief Seed. We have multiple motives here.
I'm beginning to think we have a problem.
Nah, that's just what it means to believe that violence should be Final. I suppose it's legitimate to think it's a problem, but I certainly don't.

Looks at description of MC]

Oh hell, when did we turn into Sasuke? Shit. This is because we voted to avenge our family's death, isn't it? How cruel thou art, oh GM.
Heh, probably.

WHAT nerdy personality? So far, MC has been straight up murderbro, going all ubermensh Rambo on everything. I see little nerdiness to show off.
His philosophies are the sort that a nerdy person might have.
It's a brand new day, yeah the sun is high~
And all the birds are singing that you're gonna die~![/quote]
The day will come, but it doesn't have to be today.
I call this the 'Megadouche Maneuver'. Because, see, it involves being a giant fucking douchenozzle that is not satisfied with just being a douche- No, this douche has to spray douche all over everything. Why? Because he fucking can.
Quite so.
Yeah, kinda doormatty for those of us who want to have good relations with other Puellas - If you don't want to, it's obviously completely unacceptable.

Limited only by SB's imagination and wit!

Okay, so it's pretty limited.

Ooh, an even better bullet. SB is going to bust a nut over this one!
Hey, say that to their faces! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seems we're not very nerdy at all given the last update, though I hold out hope we follow my suggestion and ask her out for cake later (to pump her - for information!), and we nerd-choke on it.

Guile said:
Well, it seems we're not very nerdy at all given the last update, though I hold out hope we follow my suggestion and ask her out for cake later (to pump her - for information!), and we nerd-choke on it.
That's probably because the professional option won.
Mami even called us out on our professional attitude.

FFFF-

This lag. This lag. This lag.

It is like trying to swim up a stream of solid shit, just to read posts.

Trying to make any posts yourself is a foolish affair, doomed to ignoble failure.

THIS. FUCKING. LAG.

Pipeman said:
That's probably because the professional option won.
Mami even called us out on our professional attitude.

It was more like a hybrid victory.

You now have 100,600 XP. Discuss.

Rihaku said:
It was more like a hybrid victory.

You now have 100,600 XP. Discuss.

That is a Fuckton of XP

My vote is for...

[X] Speed 2 (25K)
[X] Stability 2 (25K)
[X] Scope to 2 (30K)
[X] Arsenal to 1 (15K)

Speed already got a strong plurality. Stability ensures we can continue shooting on the go with our newly improved speed, Scope 2 gives us X-Ray, and Arsenal 1 starts us on the path of getting whatever that magical "Rank 4" is.

Plus, all of this means that we'll be able to see what our Ultimate is.

On a related note.

Holy Shit but the lag has been just plain awful lately. It started around... 11 AM my time (EST), got barely usable an hour later, and it's been in that state ever since.

Alectai said:
That is a Fuckton of XP

My vote is for...

[X] Speed 2 (25K)
[X] Stability 2 (25K)
[X] Scope to 2 (30K)
[X] Arsenal to 1 (15K)

Speed already got a strong plurality. Stability ensures we can continue shooting on the go with our newly improved speed, Scope 2 gives us X-Ray, and Arsenal 1 starts us on the path of getting whatever that magical "Rank 4" is.

Plus, all of this means that we'll be able to see what our Ultimate is.

Spreading ourselves this thin is just a bad idea, and we don't really need more Stability with only 1 level difference to speed.
I'd prefer:

[X] Speed 2
[X] Scope 2

And then waiting for info what Scope 3 is.
I already made my point that I'd prefer to have Scope 4 and a shit ton of XP in the bank when we start engaging Tetsu, so we can scout his abilities out and adjust our own accordingly but with this much to spend, I see no real problem with one or two stat upgrades and waiting to see what Scope 3 actually does.

PS:
Fucking lag.

I've adjusted--I also think that we'll have time to get the XP to get Scope 4 before we engage Tetsu, and Arsenal 4, we might as well go for while we can. (Plus, we can justify the big Arsenal upgrade by studying how Mami does that shit with her ribbons :p)

Plus, getting that one point in Scope as well means that we'll be able to see what our Ultimate Technique is.

Alectai said:
I've adjusted--I also think that we'll have time to get the XP to get Scope 4 before we engage Tetsu, and Arsenal 4, we might as well go for while we can. (Plus, we can justify the big Arsenal upgrade by studying how Mami does that shit with her ribbons :p)

Plus, getting that one point in Scope as well means that we'll be able to see what our Ultimate Technique is.
That Ult and Arsenal 4 are awefully tempting.
You know what?
As long as we finally get to spend all of that stuff, I'm fine with it.

LAG IS OVER, everyone out of the lifeboat!

And now Lag is Back >_< That was what, a little under two hours of SB being functional?

I vote for Arsenal 4, Speed 1 and Scope 1.

We know there's at least some correlation between long, active threads and server strain. Maybe I should make a new thread and not wait until 5000.

Rihaku said:
We know there's at least some correlation between long, active threads and server strain. Maybe I should make a new thread and not wait until 5000.

A correlation, true, but we were having problems the night you started this as well, long before the thread had expanded to it's current proportions.

That lasted less than an hour, though. The day almost immediately after, we had crushing lag that consumed the entire day and lag has been pretty terrible ever since. It does lead me to wonder, since almost every time I ask before running a quest, people tell me the lag is 'light' or 'not bad,' but this invariably turns out not to be the case, and has not been the case since lag began.

A fair point, and no quests draw in as much traffic as yours tend to.

Yuck X-x It's kind of a "Two bad choices" here. SB has the traffic for you to get a good consensus, but your Quests seem to bring it to it's knees. While this place functions mostly due to it's obscurity I imagine, where the real hardcore questers can hang out.

I'd almost suggest giving /tg/chan a shot, but it'd be hard to police that place.

I dunno what people are talking about 'light lag', I regularly lose the ability to get on the site from 9am to 5pm-ish.

I can almost always use the site but during heavy lag it might take a few minutes to load and I might have to retry a few times.

arsdraconis said:
i don't fancy us actually strafing with sniper rifles though, unless we're actually Cawadoodying this shit.
At first, Mami was excited. She had not had a fellow magic user to fight alongside for a while now, not to mention a gun user like her. They had agreed to meet again, exchanging cell numbers as they departed from the cafe.

Three days passed before Ryoushou texted her, calling her to meet up with him at the outskirts of Mitakihara. He found a witch to hunt.

__

Stepping into the barrier, the two beheld the witch's labyrinth.

"Weapons free."

"What?"

Mami never got a response, as Ryoushou took off sprinting into the labyrinth while blasting obnoxious dubstep from unseen speakers.

"Ryou! You can't be this reckless!" Shouted Mami as she chased after him.

After clearing a few dozen meters, Ryoushou's boots slammed into the ground, bringing him to an abrupt stop as he tossed a grenade forward, followed by firing his rifle twice into the distance.

"FRIENDLY UAV IS INBOUND!"

"Ryou, I'm right next to you; you don't need to shout."

Ryoushou ignored her as he checked his phone's map, now pulsing as it displayed the locations of the witch's familiars.

"LOLOLOL, campers up ahead."

He swiftly loaded one of his special rounds into his rifle, not even taking his time to aim as he spun and fired into the air. The sharp impact of his bullets piercing the walls were met with the cries of dying familiars.

"360 no scope, try harder noobs!" He shouted as he ran into a building, cackling.

"Ryou?" Mami could hardly believe that this was the same magician she met just three days ago. He had given off a cool, mature, and professional air at the time. Granted, Mami had only seen him after he finished off the witch and never witnessed how he fought.

Mami let out an exasperated sigh as he ran in after him.

"Mami, watch your step, I planted a claymore!"

__

The witch was quickly killed, having fallen to machine gun fire from an attack helicopter Ryoushou summoned. As the labyrinth collapsed around them, Ryoushou stood above the ruins, triumphant.

"Lol, gg noobs, no re, posting this on youtube, #rekt, lololol. Beaten by xXxxRy0u$h00t3r720xxXx."

Mami could only apply palms to her face while Ryoushou continued to taunt the dead witch.
__
So yeah. 370 words. Page 158 on the SB thread.

I figured I'd post this here while SB is failing.
Orm Ember said:
Mami's training is massively suboptimal, and we do have new insights to explore. The update explicitly says as much; frankly, the 'must interact or we're going to turn evil' crowd is beginning to grate. Hitori comported himself rather well; socialization is not the Holy Grail, and we are not Galahad.
I'm sorry if we're bothering you, but we(that is, SB) are a collection of people rather inclined to solitude. I don't want that to blind anyone to the fact that too much solitude is not healthy for Hitori unless he abandons even more humanity.

Also, the train with Mami write-in doesn't mean we stop training without her.

Guile said:
I dunno what people are talking about 'light lag', I regularly lose the ability to get on the site from 9am to 5pm-ish.

I think it refers to when the site only had Bad lag for an hour or so. And sometimes it'd just be a bit slow for a few hours.
Not like the entire day SB is lagged down.

Now the lag is so bad I can't really get a reaction post out.

I don't think we should upgrade speed past 2 before upgrading Stability.
It'd be nice to get Stability 2 and Scope 4 the next time we have a huge batch of XP to spend.

[x] Speed 2 (25K)
[x] Scope to 1 (15K)
[x] Arsenal to 4 (60K)

People have been asking what our Plan B is going to be if just sniping Tetsu doesn't work; well here it is. Multiple rifles remote triggered at different locations will definitely give us a shot at him and make sure that he gets hit. That with the improved scope will mean that we're going to get a shot in against him; no matter what.

But you see, "LOL ARSENAL IS ONLY GOOD FOR DAKKA"

Christ almighty fucking shitballs, the amount of bullshit that the Discreet lobby has been pulling out tonight has been painful.

Because obviously, everyone is stupid except the PC, and there's no utility in being able to whip out whatever you need, and pull out generic replication magic. Only the wise eyes of SB know this though, and everyone else proves their stupidity by using utility magic.

Sadly, I'm going to lose, because Lag has returned again :(

Seriously though, I'm getting actually mad at some of the other voters at this point, and I refuse to lose on this point. Discreet is basically doubling down on the "Try not to get in a fight" as it's been described so far. It's not Bad, but it dilutes our Ideal by implementing it, and I don't think it provides enough extra utility to justify it.

The fact that so many people want to go "LOL WHITE DEATH OF MAGI" when our character has explicitly said "I hope never to raise my weapon against one of us again after this", is... Jarring.

Alectai said:
But you see, "LOL ARSENAL IS ONLY GOOD FOR DAKKA"

Christ almighty fucking shitballs, the amount of bullshit that the Discreet lobby has been pulling out tonight has been painful.

Because obviously, everyone is stupid except the PC, and there's no utility in being able to whip out whatever you need, and pull out generic replication magic. Only the wise eyes of SB know this though, and everyone else proves their stupidity by using utility magic.

Sadly, I'm going to lose, because Lag has returned again :(
Alectai, buck up. I don't care all that much about the Arsenal/Discreet stuff, I just happen to think the latter fits the established character better. Constantly bemoaning your imminent loss is liable to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Rihaku said:
That lasted less than an hour, though. The day almost immediately after, we had crushing lag that consumed the entire day and lag has been pretty terrible ever since. It does lead me to wonder, since almost every time I ask before running a quest, people tell me the lag is 'light' or 'not bad,' but this invariably turns out not to be the case, and has not been the case since lag began.

See, at least part of that is because at this point most SBers are actually used to two or three hours of lag in the evening- a day with only an hour of lag, in that situation, seems very light and easy to deal with.

That said, it has been terrible these last few days. Last time it was this bad was, IDK, a couple months back and didn't correlate with any big quests that I know of.

Orm Embar said:
Alectai, buck up. I don't care all that much about the Arsenal/Discreet stuff, I just happen to think the latter fits the established character better. Constantly bemoaning your imminent loss is liable to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Discreet literally give us no Plan B for if things go FUBAR; a major concern people have had time and time again when it comes to killing our mark. The question is always, "What do we do if we miss?" and the answer has been "I dunno, reload and try again?"

With arsenal, we at least have a better option than "Reload and try again".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back