• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Price: Death of a Hero

Price, Chapter Four
Chapter 4

Gold lightning danced across the cloud of perfect white that signified the newcomer's powers. It condensed down, a stark opposite of the fog of frost pouring off of Kitten. Eventually forming a beautifully intricate armor of white and gold that looked bizarrely too perfect, ignoring light sources and shadows. It kinda reminded me of those live action movies with cartoon characters running about. It looked really, really wrong to see something so pristine and clear on this battlefield covered in dust, blood and ice.

Kitten recovered before I did, turning to face the newcomer as I was, very slowly, trying to stand on the absurdly slick ice. "Do you have any idea how rude it is to interrupt someone in the middle of a game?" There was a crackle-pop sound as ice slowly spread itself across Kitten's body. White and crimson splotched across her like the world's worst barbershop pole. She brought my sword up and rested it across her shoulder. "Wait, I know you! You're Anima!"

That's Anima? I'd never seen her in person, but I was pretty sure she didn't usually run around in plate armor.

"And you're Kitten, correct?" There was no hint of femininity in Anima's voice, her words were distorted like an echo through a canyon.

"One and only." Kitten took a couple quick hops away from me, moving faster than she ever had when I was fighting her. She was wearing an armor of her own, now, constructed entirely from ice her power made for her. "They say that we're the most powerful Imbued on the eastern seaboard. That you might even be the strongest on the whole continent."

Anima looked over at me. "You have any friends here? Backup?"

I still hadn't managed to get to my feet, so from my sitting position, I answered. "No." My voice cracked and the word came out as little more than a squeak. I coughed a couple times, for theatrics than an actual need to clear my throat, then spoke deeper than my natural voice. "No, I came alone." I hesitated for a moment, feeling the need to further justify myself. "I don't need any backup."

"It's true. He's been all sorts of fun. I've never met anyone that can take a beating like he can." Kitten was her usual happy self. "You here to settle those 'versus' threads all those losers put up about us online?"

And here Kitten was fucking ignoring me again. "Hey, I'm not the one whose blood is all over everything." Of course, the only reason for that was because my power recovered any lost materials, but Anima didn't need to know that.

"Hush now, the big girls are talking." Kitten's gaze never stopped focusing on Anima. "As I was saying, you don't display your powers in combat much. I'm willing to bet there's a reason for that. Some special weakness, perhaps?"

Anima shook her head, just a little. "I'm a pacifist for personal reasons. It has nothing to do with my powers or their weaknesses."

Kittens smile slipped a little. "Oh, you're one of those. Funny thing about pacifism, it only works if everyone's a pacifist. You've just told me is that you have zero combat experience, and are afraid to kill. Those are weaknesses, and I am so very good at using wea-"

"Won't matter." I could hear the tension in Anima's voice even through the distortion. More white fog and gold lightning started forming around Anima, taking humanoid shapes. They, like the armor, were cartoons imposed on a world where they didn't belong. Blades glinted too brightly, the bowstrings were visible even from where I was sitting. They knelt, bowing their heads toward Anima like faithful who just met their god.

"I've read your files. I know you've got the ability to sense and exploit flaws in an enemy. I know you've translated that skill into a form of living lie detector. Whatever weaknesses my power might have, they do not apply here. If I give the command, you will die, and there will be nothing either of us can do to stop it. Now stand down."

Kitten tilted her head, and chips of ice fell to the ground. "Oh, my, you believe yourself. And my power believes you, too. What did you lose to gain a power like that? Must have been something incredible."

Gold lightning danced along the kneeling cartoon summons, along with the howling of the wind. The chill air didn't stir. "More than enough."

"You are such a hypocrite. You know you can kill me, and you know what I'm going to do because you weren't willing."

Anima tensed up, and the cartoon characters' heads snapped up. They looked like nothing so much as evil cartoon elves. The red glow from their eyes reflected like flames on their too-white, too-sharp teeth. One spoke, his voice like crunching leaves. "Give the word, my Princess, and I shall take her head and place it before you in rightful tribute."

"I think that won't be necessary. For either of you." Flux spoke. Holy shit, I forgot he was there again. Does he have some kind of mind powers? "Kitten, I think you've had your fun for the evening. Besides, your new friend already covered it a dozen times over, and that's before I lost count. I believe, back in the day, they had a name for that. Sorta like a scapegoat, but not..." he paused for a moment of thought.

I didn't believe for an instant he actually forgot, he was just playing up the drama. "Oh, right, now I remember, a whipping boy."

Kitten giggled happily. "Ooh, yeah, I like that!"

"So, Anima, remember to thank him after we're gone. You don't have to worry about getting blood on your precious hands tonight."

"I have your word?"

"Yuppers!" Kitten tilted her head back until it had bent far, far further than a human neck should have been flexible enough to accommodate. I couldn't help but think of a pez dispense are she looked right at me despite still facing toward Anima. "Besides, fate has already selected Whipping Boy to kill me. And who are we to fight destiny?" Kitten then fell backward, rolling a couple times before sitting down next to me, just a little out of arm's reach.

"Looks like I've gotta go now. I'll think of you often." Her smile seemed legitimately sad and disappointed, then it perked right back up. "When I'm gone, be sure to ask Anima what happens when people get in my way. Plus one per month until you manage to stop me. And remember that, from now on, to make sure there's an extra special bond between us, I'll do it using your sword."

I tried to lunge at her, but she was too fast even without the ice slowing me down. She rolled a couple more times, was on her feet, and hopped away without a care in the world. "No need to be so impatient, Whipping Boy! Take your time, get stronger. I promise I'll be counting the days."

And with that, she was running off. She hopped onto the top of some kind of sports car, climbing in through the sun roof as it sped off. A yellow and orange shimmer emanated from Flux, and he moved faster than my eyes could follow, a streak of orange that quickly passed the vehicle. After all of that, they both got away.

"Are you okay?"

I started at Anima's question. I hadn't even heard her walk up to me. I hesitated for a moment, a million questions going through my mind. How did you know I was here? Why did you let Kitten get away? How powerful is she? How powerful are you? What was that shit she was spouting about destiny? But those were questions I could ask in a few minutes, I needed something right away that would thank her, without admitting I was in so far over my head that Chinese people were using my feet to prop up an end table.

Eventually I turned to face her, having settled on the one thing I could trust. "So, when I signed up for this job, I thought I'd be on the other side of daring rescues involving beautiful princesses." I hoped my smile didn't look creepy, considering I was still wearing a ski mask.

Her hand extended out to me. "I'll take that as a yes." Her voice had changed, losing the booming echo and becoming that of a girl. There was nothing special I could say about her voice, other than how completely ordinary it sounded.

I reached out for her. "You just rescued me, and now you're asking for my h-" I froze as I touched her armor. The same senses that let me see Kitten could see into Anima's armor, and what it found there was impossible for me to understand. A storm of power concentrated into a shell as thin as a sheet of paper. There was no inside to the armor, it was hollow. In a way that just shouldn't be possible.

I barely noticed as she helped me to my feet. "Is there something wrong?"

I snapped out of my daze. "No, nothing. It's just, my power lets me know things about what I'm touching. Your armor is." I hesitated, not knowing how to describe it.

"Yeah, I know," she didn't sound too happy. "I hear stuff like that, sometimes. Don't bother trying to figure it out, no one else has managed to, but there are physicists and theologians alike who claim they have. And, no, it's not that special. There's a bunch of people who work the same way, in some form or another."

I could tell she'd had that conversation before, probably a lot. "Well, I know one thing about it." She didn't say a word, and didn't seem to care about my ideas. Its lack of weight, the way it curves in on itself with no beginning and no end, how its consistency changes while staying forever the same. How I couldn't use my power for more than sensing it. "It's absolutely gorgeous."

I earned a 'hmph'. "So, newbie, do you have a name? I highly doubt it's actually Whipping Boy."

"Haven't thought of one," I admitted. "Didn't seem important to me. I was kinda hoping to make a name for myself first." After all, why have a name if you didn't matter enough for people to care?

"And you went after Kitten to make that name?" The incredulity dripped from every word she spoke.

I shrugged and smiled. "Well, you have to admit, if it had worked..." I trailed off, letting her draw her own conclusions. Better to let her believe I was confident in my powers and knew I could take care of myself, instead of stumbling into a fight with someone I'd never even heard of before like a suicidally stupid amateur. No, that is the wrong attitude to have, especially when dealing with someone who might be able to offer help. "But my business with Kitten is personal. She killed..." someone I loved, my neighbor since I was four, my sister's best friend, the girl I was sort of a stalker for. Someone I fantasized about rescuing since I first figured out... "A friend."

Anima hesitated for a moment. "I'm sorry. I assumed the worst about you, instead of thinking you had a good reason for doing what you did. It's just... going after Kitten is insane, and it was easiest to imagine you didn't know."

I felt bad, indirectly lying to her. But that was a feeling I'd gotten used to over the years. "Kitten said something about doing something when people get in her way?" I suspected I already knew the answer, but I needed to hear it.

Anima looked away, searching the sky for something that probably wasn't there. "Two lives. That's her rule, every time the police or any would be heroes manage to stop whatever it is she's trying to do, she kills two people at random. As powerful as she is, she could kill a lot more than that if she goes down fighting. Her danger sense means a sniper or bomb won't work. Overwhelming firepower is the only strategy, and there's only a handful of us who have both the durability and firepower to go up against her. And after that, it's a matter of having the speed to catch her when she runs."

"That why they sent you, instead of a team?"

"Actually, 'they' probably don't know this happened yet," Anima admitted. "If they realized what was going on, they'd probably send someone in. Innocent lives be damned. Guardian would be their first pick. He might be a colossal ass, and wouldn't be able to beat her, but at the very least he wouldn't lose. They'd use whatever intel he could gather to come up with a better strategy. So what if it would ruin dozens of lives in the process?"

Holy fuck that sounded bitter. "So, umm, no offense, but why you? I mean, I thought you didn't do the hero thing. Are you really as powerful as they say?" Kitten certainly thought highly of her power.

"No one is as powerful as they say I am. I'm a pretty hard counter for Kitten, but if Flux had stepped in I'd be dead right now. Mooth promised that wasn't a risk, and this was the best way to save lives. She's an oracle. Knows if someone's going to die within twenty four hours as long as she pictures them in her mind. Also sees the last moment of any Imbued who dies. Or, in your case, a lot of last moments."

Well, that explains that. "Tell her I'll try to keep the dying to a minimum, but I can't make any promises."

"Kitten." A simple, tired acceptance. "Telling you how bad an idea that is won't make a difference, will it?"

"Someone has to stop her." I left the accusation that she could have, and didn't, unspoken. I tried to feel bad about it, but even Kitten was sure she was going to lose if Anima went all out, and that didn't happen. "She said something about it being my destiny to kill her. I don't buy it, but I think I can challenge her without her killing people if I lose. Not that I intend to lose, now that I know exactly what I'm fighting. I can take her."

Anima looked over, studying me for a minute. "She's why you have powers, right? You got your powers right after finding out about your friend that Kitten killed?"

I nodded.

Anima's armor shifted, opening a hole in the side, near her hip. Through the golden glow, I noted she was wearing jeans under her costume. "I really shouldn't be doing this. And if you tell anyone I did, I will swear in a court of law that you're a liar." She pulled a rumpled up series of papers out and handed them to me. "That's what information I have on Kitten, straight out of the police database."

"Isn't that-"

"Illegal? Very." Her voice made it clear she was starting to regret her generosity.

"Thank you." I meant it. I looked at the papers, not trying to read them, simply looking at what I held. Hopefully in here was the information I needed to win our rematch. "Is there anything I can do to, well, if you need help you can ask."

"I'm okay. Listen, we should get going. Would you like me to give you a ride somewhere?"

A part of me felt insulted that she assumed I didn't have a car. She was right, but she didn't know that. "Oh, I see how it is. First you rescue a guy, then you get him to take you back to his place..."

She just stood there stunned, looking for the words. "Nah, I'm joshin' ya. I have a ride, I walked the last couple blocks." All true. "I'm not so rich that I can afford losing a car every time I get into a fight."

"Got a cell? I can't talk you into staying out of this, so the least I can do is make sure you stay away from the worst dangers. There's a lot of things the civilians don't know about. It's better than you running around blind and getting into the wrong kind of mess. And I might be able to get more information about Kitten."

"Sure," I pulled out my shitty cheap cell. "Something to call the police so they could clean things up. You can call me any time after five thirty. My powers include not needing to sleep, so it doesn't matter how late you call."

"Don't spread that information around too much. Some insensitive people might call you lucky."

We swapped numbers and I jogged off before calling Laura.

======================

A/N- Flux has no mind powers. He's just very good at not being the center of attention.

"Mooth" is not a typo, but it isn't the right spelling of the word. I leave it as a bit of a puzzle to see if anyone figures out the meaning to her name.

I wonder if people will ship Zach and Anima, now. Or if Alex/Zach is still the fan OTP.

Zach has mastered the fine art of lying while telling the truth.

And I'm glad I got the weekend as an insulator. The next two chapters? I'm going to need to write both of them before I publish either. Also, as a bonus thingy, I'm considering a look at the police file on Kitten.

Last edited:
This, specific, book? 2-300k, probably thereabouts.

The Price setting? Oh, I have the outline of five books already. None of the others using Zach as the main character. He'll be a secondary in some of them.

Well, that was interesting.

With great power comes great pacifism, apparently. Or great dickery, supposedly, in the case of this Guardian guy.

Typos:

That's her rule, every time the police or any would be heroes manage to stop whatever it is she's trying to do, she kills two people at ramdp,.
random

So what that it would ruin dozens of lives in the process?
so what if ?

"Mooth" is not a typo, but it isn't the right spelling of the word. I leave it as a bit of a puzzle to see if anyone figures out the meaning to her name.

muth: to die
Original Word: מוּת
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: muth
Phonetic Spelling: (mooth)
Short Definition: die

And for an amusing Amelia shoutout: Mot. Or Maweth, whose root word is muth.

"Don't spread that information around too much. Some insensitive people might call you lucky."
Once again, we're reminded how much Anima hates her powers. Has she surged at all in Price?

Also random question, but are there any imbued with functionally useless powers, like summoning soap bubbles or something?

Has she surged at all in Price?
She's never needed to.

are there any imbued with functionally useless powers, like summoning soap bubbles or something?
That level of useless? Yes, if rarely. But there's a significant minority whose powers aren't much better. Being able to change hair style and color by concentrating in front of a mirror. Or knowing exactly how many people/cameras/etc. are looking at you at any given moment. And a lot get the ability to not need food, or occasionally water or air.

They're often called "stage zero" Imbued. Which is to say "sure, they have powers, but they're not worth assigning a number. The scientists who study Imbued find this incredibly annoying, since it contradicts The Facts.

That'll get mentioned at some point in the story. For now, it goes in the worldbuilding page.

Kitten's rap sheet
Alias: Kitten
Former Alias: Killer
Age: Unknown, estimated approximately fifteen years old.
Class: Stage 3-4 Imbued, 4.5 threat value. Class 5 Risk.

Former Associates:
2012- june 2014: Hunter, supposed twin sister (EV 88%). Together were the defunct villain team Hunter-Killer. Hunter presumed killed (EV 99.7%) during a conflict between Hunter-Killer and a collaboration of heroes and villains including Starfall (dec), Arclight, and the Raleigh, NC chapter of Endless Storm.
Jul 2914: Songstress (dec)
Aug-Oct 2014: Sin Eater (dec)
Feb 2015: Scythe (Inc) and Hammer (dec)
Apr 2015: Shadowmancer (Dec)

Criminal Record:
Tried and convicted in absentia of nine (9) counts of Capital Murder, seventeen (17) counts of Felony Murder, thirty eight (38) counts of using powers for a violent crime, twelve (12) counts of injuring an officer of the law during the course of their duties.
Suspect in nineteen (19) counts of Capital or First Degree Murder, thirty three (33) counts of Felony or Second Degree murder, fifty nine (59) counts of resisting arrest, seventy five (75) counts of using powers in a violent crime, and four (4) counts of fleeing the state to avoid prosecution.
Outstanding warrants in FL, NC, PA and VA. Criminal background in GA, SC, WV and DC, arbitration invoked.

Known Powers:

Brawler 3.3- Has superhuman reflexes and combat instincts. Confirmed capable of catching low calibre bullets in flight. Has low level cryokinesis that she regularly uses to create claws of ice. While strength is not superhuman, it is significantly higher than her body type suggests.
Breaker 1.3- Kitten's combat knowledge has allowed her to quickly identify and exploit flaws in other Imbued powers before. Her senses make illusion based powers unlikely to succeed. Confirmed resistance to mind control.
Esper and Tracker 2.7- Ability to sense living things. Suspected mode is an ability to detect the water in blood (EV 47%). Possibly a secondary expression of combat instincts (EV 22%). Walls and other methods of concealment will not work. Kitten has fought while blinded with no apparent reduction of combat ability. Has used this ability to function as a lie detector.
Infiltrator 1.5- In addition to lie detection, Kitten has cosmetic shapeshifting. Capable of altering skin, hair and eye color, facial features, and even make minor adjustments to her height and body type. Likely source of physical strength and regeneration (EV 72%).
Sniper 2.2- In addition to claws, can generate ice daggers. Weapons are fragile and unlikely to be lethal, but extremely dangerous when coupled with her combat instincts. Assume 1.5 using improvised weapons. Threat goes to 2.2 if she opts to use standard firearms.
Stealth 1.5- Can engage in chameleon type blending into an environment, but cannot extend ability to outfit. Can use combat instincts to avoid line of sight.
Tank 2- Uses cryokinesis to form armor made of ice. Has a moderate regeneration ability that allows her to recover from all injuries in a matter of minutes. Likely expression of shapeshifting (EV 72%).

Counter Tactics:
Kitten's combat senses do not appear to have the typical Esper vulnerability of being overwhelmed by excess factors. If anything, she appears to be more effective in chaotic situations. As such, approach combat with her in an orderly and planned fashion, highly coordinated strikes are more effective.
Kitten's Esper ability also doesn't appear to block other Esper abilities. This suggests powers are a form of sensing and reacting to behavior and events around her, not a precognition power. Rely upon Esper assistance in any conflict.
Kitten is extremely overconfident about her abilities. She actively seeks out powerful opponents, and has engaged clearly superior targets in the past. She is also impulsive and can be distracted from a goal by a clever opponent.
While she has a stalker package, she appears to prefer fighting in an open arena where she can exploit her maneuverability. It is possible, though unlikely (EV 22%) that this is due to a flaw in her combat sense.
Best engaged with summoner or high level brawler abilities (EV 58%).

Overall Threat:
4.5- While individually minor, Kitten's abilities are versatile and complimentary, allowing her to accomplish a great deal more than her numbers might suggest. She is functionally immune to ambush, assassination and control tactics.

WARNING: After the events of Releigh, NC, Kitten has become significantly more volatile. It is likely (EV 85% ) she experienced a surge shortly after her sister's death. To date she hasn't displayed any new abilities.

CLASS FIVE EVENT RISK: (EV 77%)

===============

A/N- Zach won't know this. But "EV" is short for Esper Value. They ask a handful of precogs and others of that nature to do their best to verify information that's otherwise run on pure speculation, then boil it down to a percentage based upon some arcane formula. With a bit of time (and clearance), you can get the raw data that contributed to the EV, but those aren't going to be in a standard info printout.

Arbitration means these states (and territory) have given their right to prosecute the accused to the Federal Government. Mainly because it's easier and more cost effective to let the feds do it than have each and every individual state hold their own trials and punishments. Plus, well, states aren't able to convict someone in absentia.

Conviction In Absentia loosely translates to "fuck the Constitution". And is probably the most important bit of Worldbuilding in this whole thing.

And Zach has more stuff in his papers than what's listed here. The rest is mainly specific times, dates and crimes listed in numerical order, taken from numerous police reports. All you dear readers are seeing is the cover letter to a thesis.

Typos kept intentionally- for realism (have you ever read government files? Jeebus Fucknards. I should go through and add MORE typos).

Last edited:
Chapter Five, Laura
Chapter 5, Laura

I picked idly at my food. As much as I'm sure the IHOPs around here were used to college kids just lounging around, I wasn't about to try to get away with that. So I ordered coffee and a vegetable soup. And some cheese fries, because at this, I wanted something bad for me. Diet be damned. On the plus side, Sunday night wasn't really a packed house here, so no one tried to harass me. I think the waitress was just glad to have someone here to look at, because she was definitely giving me the eye.

On another night, I might even have seen how that panned out. My tats and short, dyed hairstyle did send a signal that loosely translated to 'obvious dyke'. I wasn't, but the waitresses flirted with me just like they flirted with the guys. And on some nights, I flirted back just to watch them backpedal hard enough to give themselves whiplash. Or in front of a boyfriend, either actual or potential. This was generic male fantasy number three, after all.

Not tonight, though. Tonight my brother was out there trying to kill a man while I pretended I didn't know exactly what was going on. Dreading what it meant if he failed. Dreading what it meant if he succeeded. Zach was far more fragile than he liked to pretend he was, both physically and mentally.

Always playing the clown, never letting anyone see who he really was. They say powers reflect the personalities of their owners, and Zach's power was a perfect example of that. The boy whose greatest fear was being seen as weak, got a power that let him ignore stabbing himself with a sword. A power that meant we no longer had to be on high alert for a trip to the emergency room.

He almost managed to convince me that he no longer felt pain, but that was as much a lie as his claim he was going after Flux for me, or some sense of heroic duty. What he was pursuing tonight wasn't about justice or honor, it was a simple matter of revenge, and love. Another lie he thought he got past me. Yeah, he didn't fool us for a second.

Erica's opinion on the matter was essentially 'he'll be cute in a few years, but he's not my type'. Given Erica's taste in men, that might have been the nicest thing anyone ever said about my kid brother. And then she'd tease him by wearing some of her sluttiest outfits when visiting.

Mom and Dad never noticed a damn thing. Not about Zach, or Erica, or me. Not then, and not now. Dad even bought Zach's excuse that he had a hot date this weekend. Or, maybe he was just relieved to not need to hide how disappointed that his son could never follow in his military footsteps.

I still remembered the day mom finally walked out on his ass. He'd bought one of those at home DNA test kits and sent it out to a lab. Mom got the mail before he did. She thought he was having an affair, and wasn't that a bitch thing for her of all people to get angry over? Shyamalan twist, it turns out he was checking to see if Zach was his.

If I were a different woman, I might have blamed Zach for that. But anyone with half a brain knew that the real cause of our parents' divorce was that they got married. I was just glad that Zach never knew, he was the type who would blame himself. I guess keeping secrets ran in the family. Dad had his alcohol and affairs, mom had her gambling and affairs, and both imagined that nobody knew. And I was the one who knew everything. Yup, sorry little brother, your acting is nothing compared to your big sister's.

My phone buzzed, and almost dropped it when scrambling to look at the text. @ RDV, Safe. Bring big garbage bags.

I let out a sigh of relief, at least I knew he was okay. I wasn't sure what the garbage bags were for, I just hoped it Zach didn't decide to collect a fucking trophy somehow. Powers did fucked up things to people, and my little brother was a few skinned cats away from fitting the profile of a serial killer. I crushed that traitorous thought hard. Zach is my brother, the only real family I have. I trust him.

Luckily enough, this particular restaraunt was fused with a gas station, so I didn't have much of a trip. I was at the pickup spot in only a few minutes, for once thankful that the police never came into this area. I just hoped they didn't have traffic cams at these lights.

Zach stepped out of the alley, shirtless and barefoot, carrying a ball of what I was pretty sure was his clothes. The visibility on these streets left a lot to be desired. "What happened?" I asked the moment he opened the door.

"Don't worry, none of it's mine."

None of what? I looked more closely now, and could see the spatters of crimson on his body and matting his hair. I had some EMT training, in case Zach needed it. Plus it looked really good on a resume, especially in businesses where you dealt with the public. It wasn't an awful lot of blood, no more than a cupful in total. But I was aware of the concept of 'spatter', and for every drop on him there was likely ten times that which wasn't. "Did you?" Oh god, please tell me you didn't kill him.

"Turns out, all my brilliant battle strategies were ruined by one small miscalculation. They ran away."

Oh thank god. No, wait. The anger and indignation on his face told me so much more about the story than his words. I'd seen that look before, the determination and grim certainty of a man who would rather die than back down. A look that every woman both loves and fears seeing in the eyes of someone they care for. He was going to try again. I wouldn't be able to talk him out of it.

"Still, there are worse ways for a fight to end than covered in the other guy's blood. Plus I managed to get a girl's number." Seriously? "And it wasn't even the prostitute. Anima showed up toward the end there, guess she liked what she saw and we're going to talk later. After I've had a long, hot shower. And burned my clothes. Speaking of, need those garbage bags."

I actually relaxed a little. Anima was one of the heavy hitters. Rumor had it they pre authorized mobilizing the army if she went villain. She was the reason the big name gangs and villains stayed out of the DC area. Not that this helped the crime rate any, but at least fewer buildings were lost during our gang wars than most cities. Better than the near anarchy that is New York. Someone like her could protect Zach, maybe even do what I couldn't and slap some sense into him.

I handed the bags, and brushed his hand, just to let him know I was still here for him. He jumped back, as if shocked by my touch. What happened to you out there, that you're now afraid to touch me? "So, what happened to the sword?"

"Let's just say after you put it inside someone a couple times, they take offense. And the weapon." If I blinked, I'd have missed his smile. "Don't worry, I'll get it back during the rematch."

Fuck, that thing wasn't cheap and he knew it. And now it's one more thing for Zach to obsess over.

I cracked the windows, to keep the smell of drying blood to a minimum. Some of the people I hung out with would recognize that scent.

Then I gunned it. We needed to get home as soon as possible, to get him cleaned up and in clean clothes. There was so much we didn't know about his powers, and how they dealt with infection was one of them. Blood borne pathogens were amongst the nastiest and most tenacious out there. Sure, he'd probably heal faster than they could hurt him, but that didn't mean his body purged the infection. He might become a carrier for something incurable like herpes or HIV without even knowing. Or maybe his power wouldn't protect him at all. Or maybe the disease would mutate the disease and make super-AIDS or something. And I was only qualified enough to know that no one was qualified enough to know.

I backed into my driveway and got out, going around the car to the door. With traffic in this town, I didn't even like to drive, and there was no way I was willing to try backing out into the street. Zach waited inside the car as I entered the security code and opened the door. He hopped out, and rushed for the door. If it were any other day, for any other reason, I might have laughed as some of the plastic bags stuck to him. I hit button and was satisfied at the chirp of my car locking itself.

Zach set aside two bags. One containing his clothes, and the other a cheap grocery bag from somewhere. I could see a few loose papers poking out of the top. "Shower first, everything else after."

I nodded my agreement. "Yeah, that's a good idea. I made a mental note to immediately dump some stuff down the drain when he was done. Blood was basically glue once it started drying, and my little brother was going to lose some hair. He was right, though, this was better than what might have happened. He was also right about his clothes, they were pretty much garbage.

I went to my closet and pulled out a box of stuff. Zach had a couple shirts here, for times he crashed here so mom could have a date. The pants and shoes, I could provide. The pants were a bit too big for him, but I had belts and Zach usually wore baggy stuff to begin with. Charged with nervous energy, I paced back and for by the bathroom door until the water stopped running, then I knocked. "Got something for you to wear."

I faced away, but heard the door crack open. Steam rolled around my feet, as Zach took the clothes. "Thanks." The door shut, and I went to sit in the combo kitchen, dining and living room of my apartment.

Now came the hard part. Talking about what happened. Or, more specifically, pushing Zach into talking about it without him locking down and using snark to avoid the topic forever. The door opened again. "Sis, please tell me these pants don't belong to Rex."

"No, do you remember Jacob?"

"Oh, that asshole." The tone made it clear that he thought basically everyone I dated was an asshole. In Jacob's case, he wasn't wrong. I wanted to explain to him that Rex was better than that. Sure, he was rough around the edges, but anyone who saw him with his son could see he was a good father. So much better than our own parents turned out. But now was not the time to have that argument, and Zach was just trying to bait me into it so he could avoid the real elephant in the room.

"Yeah, that asshole," I agreed. "The shoes are his, too. I'll grab you a new pair of shoes while you're at school tomorrow. Still in fourteens?"

"Yeah." Zach opened the bag with the papers, pulling them out and set them, gently, in front of the chair he'd claimed. A moment later a couple handfuls of wadded up bills were placed in front of me.

"Zach, what's this?" Did he really rob the bad guys? Seriously?

"After they ran off I searched their hideout a bit. Trying to find some clue to where they'd run off to. It's less than it looks, about six hundred bucks. It's yours, call it a payment for all the help. I'll need to use some of it to buy some new shoes and maybe a couple extra spare sets of clothes for the future, beyond that it's all yours."

I wanted to object, but the simple fact was I could use the money. About half of the people looking to get inked around here were gang members, and they'd never go to an independent artist if they could get it done by one of their own. Murders happened over less. So that left us indies, as well as the gang artists, all fighting over the other half of the client base. And that meant slim pickings all around. I couldn't afford to turn it down. Instead I gestured at the other papers, in front of him. "Is that what that is? The clues?"

He shrugged noncommittally. "A bit of homework, I guess. Information on Kitten."

"Who?" Not a name I recognized, could have been a new super. Or given how some of the gangs operate it may have been a normal person.

"Rex's intel was off."

Fuck, and here I was hoping that maybe Zach could learn to give the guy a chance if this worked out. It would have been nice if the two of them could get along. They didn't even have to like each other, that would be too much to ask for. But Zach could be a real dick to people he didn't like, and I had enough stress to deal with. "You mean you went after the wrong gang? Well, that's not too big a deal, you still busted up a street gang and walked away with some spare cash. I'll have to be careful about how to ask him to go looking again, we don't want to risk your identity."

"No, he got the right gang, just not the right target," Zach corrected. "Turns out, Flux picked up a girlfriend from down south."

"Kitten? She's the one that..." raped and tortured. "Killed Erica? Is that who you were fighting?"

"Got it in one, sis," Zach was staring at the top of the papers as he spoke. His hands trembled as he turned pages too fast to possibly be reading them. I knew his powers wouldn't let him read at super speed. "Kitten is one of the biggest of the big time. She's killed dozens of people, and is so strong that the police are afraid to go after her. So are the so called fucking heroes. She needs to be stopped, and I'm the only one willing and able to do it."

Oh, Zach. My little brother was smart, smarter than me probably. If he had gone at school with half the focus on his face right now, he could have been a doctor or scientist or anything else he wanted. Except, as dad would have quickly pointed out, an athlete. I stood and walked over to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. He flipped the papers on top of each other, preventing me from reading what he had. What little glance I got looked like someone put something into a scanner, copied it, scanned it again, sent that scan through a fax machine, and then another guy scanned that copy and made another new copy before crumpling it into a ball and throwing it into the trash for Zach to get ahold of.

He sat there for a moment, quietly. "You should get a nap. You'll have to take me to school in a few hours. And then you have work tonight."

The message was clear. He didn't want me seeing what he had. It hurt, seeing my little brother trying to protect me where there was nothing I could do to protect him. "Yeah, you're probably right."

I turned and started to walk away.

"Thank you."

"Hey, that's what family's for."

======================

A/N- Some number of my readers have expressed they had difficulties figuring out why Zach's character worked how it did. This chapter is for them. I usually prefer the "show, not tell" school of writing, leaving the subtle hints of the dynamic and leaving readers to fill in the blanks. This chapter is me violating that rule, and doing an awful lot of telling. By highlighting Zach through the eyes of the person who knows him the best, maybe the readers who have trouble with this sort of thing will see deeper in the future.

That being said... I am so glad I did this chapter. It's rare that I feel something came out exactly perfect, and this is one such time. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. Except the grammar, I am sure I screwed that up at least a little. C'mon spellcheckers loyal readers!

I've said it a few times, I'll say it again. I roll for the names. In Laura's case, I actually rolled "Lauren". Then "Anne" for a middle name. Minor adjustment was made because "Lauren Anne" does not roll off the tongue well. At this point, I already knew Zach's parents were divorced. So, while Laura does not know this, it is canon that her mom wanted to name her Lauren, but her dad picked the middle name of Anne and refused to back down when asked to change it. And this was their first (but by no means close to last) fight as a couple.

Powers don't actually fuck with people's minds in Price. Well, not any more than any other type of sudden fame or wealth or power or success of ANY sort does. Which can still be an awful lot.

No, Super-AIDS is not a thing that can happen in this setting.

I will be retelling part of this interaction from Zach's perspective once his chapter goes up. Just to display the differences in how the characters think.

Last edited:

lel anima sounds like enema lel
62608_340.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter Six
Chapter 6

@ RDV, Safe. Bring big garbage bags. I texted Laura. I would have shortened the second sentence, but I didn't want there to be any confusion, and there were a lot of 'b's and 'g's in that one.

Then I got to work stripping out of what clothes I could. Thinking my clothes were as invulnerable as I was, I didn't bother bringing a change. Turns out, protecting them from damage didn't include protecting them from blood. It had cooled, in part from Kittens damn ice powers, and in part from just sitting around for so long, which left me sticky everywhere. I tossed the trench coat off to the side, letting it fall to the ground in the alleyway.

I knew I'd have to take it with me when I left. Of all the stupid amateur mistakes I'd made tonight, I still knew better than to leave behind blood covered evidence. But there was no chance of it being wearable again. My shirt, shoes, and mask followed after. The mask was especially painful, having started to dry and stick to my hair. After a minute or so of struggle, I gave up and simply ripped the article of clothing off, earning myself a view of my own half naked and rapidly disintegrating body. My skinny, soft form grimaced in pain as it struggled mightily against a sticky blood soaked mask. It did not make an impressive figure before dissolving into light.

Now as undressed as I was willing to get in a dirty alley cutting between a liquor store and a foot locker, I started balling my clothes and shoes up in the coat. Which, now that I got a good look at it, was torn to shreds. The sleeves were cracked and broken, thanks to being frozen and shattered by Kitten's ice powers. Claw marks and puncture holes adorned the coat, getting progressively worse the further away from my chest they were.

Either Kitten deliberately avoided my central body mass, or this was some clue about how my power worked. Considering my pants were intact despite the number of times I took it in the 'nads, I was betting on my power. At some points during the fight, it stopped protecting my clothes. Stopped protecting my sword, too. Maybe my power could only work so fast, and it put protecting me at higher priority than protecting my clothes? Better than the alternative by a long shot.

I heard the shuffle of shoes on concrete, and looked toward the exit of the alley. A man had stumbled into the opening, holding a paper bag. Fucking drunks, they were as bad as all the other drug addicts. He saw me, then turned around and walked away without saying a thing. Maybe I was a little more intimidating than I thought. That distraction over, I went back to my thoughts about my first real fight, and how completely out of my depths I was.

If Kitten kept going, could she have overwhelmed my power? Killed me, even? She seemed to believe she could end our fight in under five minutes. And I had no idea what her super combat skills and ability to sense weaknesses could do if she was trying. In retrospect, it was obvious she was never really trying during our fight. I glanced at the papers I'd carefully set aside, a detailed list of everything the police knew about her and her powers. At least I had some reading to do before not going to bed. Hopefully I'd be better prepared next time.

Wow. Not exactly shooting for the stars there, are you Zach? You didn't do your homework, and you got schooled. I wouldn't make that mistake again. Next time, I'd come with everything it took to end this. Either I killed her, or I hit her hard enough to force her to kill me. Erica deserved that much, the best I had to offer, and more.

Light from the street pulled me away from those thoughts. The glint of blue paint let me know it was Laura's car. I suppressed a shiver as I stepped out of the alleyway, away from the buildings' shelter against the wind. Well, seems like I lost my ability to ignore the cold. Careful to use the part of my hand that wasn't bloody, I opened the door to the car, and felt the sensation of my new ability activating. Strangely, it only covered the door of the car, not the whole car. I could feel, more than see, inside. I knew the shape of its mechanisms, the movement of the door handle as I pulled it and the latch holding it the door closed shifted. It was actually kinda cool, and would probably have been even better if I actually knew how all those pieces worked.

"What happened?!" Oh, right, and now Laura could get a good look at me.

I didn't smile, there was no possible way to smile while half naked and covered in blood that wasn't disturbing. "Don't worry, none of it's mine."

"So... did you?" Kill him? The words were unspoken, but clear as a bell through the war of fear and hope on her face.

I paused for a second, trying to find my words. There was no way in hell I was going to explain everything that happened. How I could have died in that fight. How according to some psychic I did die many times over. That was a disturbing set of existential questions I quickly quashed. It probably isn't healthy that I can repress that so easily. Oh well. My focus went back to my sister.

"Turns out, all my brilliant battle strategies were ruined by one small miscalculation." That small calculation being pretty much everything I did from the moment I got my powers to the moment the fight started. "They ran away."

Equal parts relief and disappointment washed across her face.

"Still, there are worse ways to end a fight than covered in the other guy's blood. Plus I managed to get a girl's number." Her look was priceless. "And it wasn't even the prostitute. Anima showed up toward the end there, guess she liked what she saw and we're going to talk later. After I've had a long, hot shower. And burned my clothes. Speaking of, need those garbage bags."

She pulled a rectangle box out of the back, and popped it open. Between the two of us, we covered her passenger seat in three layers of garbage bags, and of course an extra to hold the clothes I'd never use again. My senses let me know garbage bags were unsurprisingly the most boring thing I'd manage to touch so far.

In the process, I brushed against Laura's hand, and awareness of her biology snapped into my mind. I could almost, sort of, sense the outlines of her tattoos, but the glancing touch wasn't enough for me to know if that was real, or just my imagination. What I knew I wasn't imagining, were the inorganic parts. A few piercings here or there that I knew about, a couple that didn't surprise me, and a couple more I'd rather not think about. In addition, I was now aware my sister had breast implants. Thanks a lot, powers.

"So, what happened to the sword?"

A psychopath stole it so she could murder people horribly, even though she can do that just fine with her bare hands, for no other reason than to fuck with my head. "Let's just say after you put it inside someone a couple times, they take offense. And the weapon. Don't worry, I'll get it back during the rematch."

We sat in silence the rest of the ride, the window partially down in spite of the cold. Of all the things I'd learned about blood today that I hadn't thought of before, it was that it stank when it started to dry. Not even a normal kind of stink like dog shit or even rotting meat, but a special kind of stench that was so much harder to ignore. A blend of metallic and sweet, calculated to be as repulsive as possible.

I was going to shower like I'd never showered before. I wanted so bad to feel clean again.

Going to school wearing someone else's pants was more than a little weird, but I ignored it. Wasn't that hard to do, I had a lot on my mind and all of it had to do with Kitten. I'd done a bit of research online about the numbers. I still had no idea what EV meant. And Class Five got me results on white water rafting and tornadoes.

But the meaning of power ranks had all kinds of stuff about it. Too bad that was bogged down in speculation. And all those damn arguments in those 'versus' threads online. Eventually I was forced to conclude that power levels were bullshit, based more around how effective a power was used than actual raw output. All I could figure out was Kitten was somewhere in the sweet spot between 'too scary to fight' and 'too scary to let live'.

Laura parked about a block and a half from the school, then leaned over and gave me a tight hug.

"Aww, come on, seriously?" My objection wasn't too strenuous, as I hugged her back, doing my best to not think about the information my power was telling me, which was kinda like telling myself not to think about tap dancing elephants. Ooh! Yeah, that's how I'll avoid listening to my power! I'll think about tap dancing elephants!

"Yes, seriously," she insisted. "Look at it this way, I could have done it right in front of the school. Then you'd have to explain to all your friends that the babe in the car hugging you was your sister."

"And now I'll never be able to describe my epic battle with the escaped circus gorilla."

She punched my shoulder, though not hard. "You're such an asshole."

"I'd ask you if you made a habit of hugging assholes, but I've met your boyfriends."

"Get out of my car before I decide to run you over with it." She mussed my hair, digging her fingers just a little harder than she had to.

"Do more harm to the car than to me." I had already opened the door and was getting out. I turned to face her. "Love you. Uh, and about the other thing, I'll be calling her tonight."

She smiled. "Love you, too." Her head turned toward the road. "I'll ask around, see what I can find out, and get back to you on Friday. But you're on your own finding an excuse to put off going to Dad's again."

"I'll think of something." I closed the door and started walking as she drove away. Dad was pretty much the least important thing on my mind. Right now, I had to phone my way through school then call Anima and handle the important part of my day. At least the first two classes were simple enough. Algebra and art. The former, I could do in my sleep. The latter I was shit at even when I tried.

Which was more or less how it worked out, other than a couple brushes in the lunch line that let me know one of the gang kids had a knife sewn into his jacket. That was something I needed to find a way to report anonymously. Not that it would really matter, you couldn't throw a rock in this school without accidentally hitting a gang banger or some poser who wanted to be one. That was something to consider, actually. Kitten may have kicked my ass, but there were other gangs, and most of them weren't protected by top tier Imbued.

And then, after lunch, it was time for Home Ec. I almost looked forward to the class, now that it wasn't like snorting mustard gas just to be in the room. I was smiling as I sat across from Ferne, ready to do the mindless task of decorating gingerbread walls. Only a couple hours away from being able to call Anima and talk to her about what I planned to do.

Ferne poked at some decorative hedge for her house. Hers was several times better looking than mine, but I wasn't too concerned with that. I didn't need to be the best, just good enough.

We didn't speak for a while as I did what I could to keep the roof from sliding off. In retrospect, I probably would have done better if I'd decorated it first and the stuck it to the rest of the building, but I did what I could. It didn't help that my throat was so dry.

I swallowed a bit of saliva. "Does it feel dry in here to you?"

Ferne didn't bother looking up. "No more than usual. Maybe you could see if Mrs. Schmidt will let you get a drink?"

After the other week? Hah. "No, I'll-" And then my chest tightened. An attack was coming on. Fuck! I didn't even have my inhaler. I thought I didn't need it anymore. My powers healed my lungs faster than they could be inflamed. My powers that changed last night. I stood up, ready get out of the classroom. I'd accept the detention or whatever lecture the mummy wanted to give me, anything to avoid what was coming.

But it was too late. I hadn't even stood up, I simply was standing up next to my copy like I'd always been there. I watched in horror as the shimmer of color rushed away from my rapidly vanishing duplicate to merge with me. The colors looked so much brighter in the daylight. And everyone in the class was now staring at me for the worst of all possible reasons.

"Well. Fuck."

======================

A/N- Told you Chapter Two was gonna come back,

Also. I got exactly zero response to last chapter. At all. Not gonna lie, that kinda stings a bit. More than it would have if it was any other chapter.

Last edited:
I hear the shuffle of shoes on concrete, and looked toward the exit of the alley. A man had stumbled into the opening, holding a paper bag. Fucking drunks, they were as bad as all the other drug addicts. He saw me, then turned around and walked away without saying a thing. Maybe I was a little more intimidating than I thought. That distraction over, I went back to my thoughts about my first real fight, and how completely out of my depths I was.
I'm sure that gentleman has a perfectly good reason for being covered in blood. Like raising awareness of AIDS. Or protesting the new Medicaid policies. Anywho, I believe I've left the oven on. Tally ho!
wearing my someone else's pants
grammar?
Eventually I was forced to conclude that power levels were bullshit, based more around how effective a power was used than actual raw output.
Which makes sense - there's a limit to how much you can theorize about the limits of a power.
But it was too late. I hadn't even stood up, I simply was standing up next to my copy like I'd always been there. I watched in horror as the shimmer of color rushed away from my rapidly vanishing duplicate to merge with me. The colors looked so much brighter in the daylight. And everyone in the class was now staring at me for the worst of all possible reasons.
Oh man. This is almost as bad as that dream where you're naked in frond of the whole class.

Wait. Did his clothing come with him when teleported?
We didn't speak for a while as I did what I could to keep the roof from sliding off. In retrospect, I probably would have done better if I'd decorated it first and the stuck it to the rest of the building, but I did what I could. It didn't help that my throat was so dry.
Zach's top slips off after using too much lubricant.
"Aww, come on, seriously?" My objection wasn't too strenuous, as I hugged her back, doing my best to not think about the information my power was telling me, which was kinda like telling myself not to think about tap dancing elephants. Ooh! Yeah, that's how I'll avoid listening to my power! I'll think about tap dancing elephants!
On the plus side, Zach can make a great living helping doctors.
"The bullet is two inches into his leg."
"His left lung has blood in it."
"I have no idea how he got a lightbulb so far in there, but it must really have hurt when it broke."
Going to school wearing my someone else's pants was more than a little weird, but I ignored it. Wasn't that hard to do, I was still obsessing over Kitten. I'd done a bit of research online about what the numbers meant. I still had no idea what EV meant. And Class Five got me results on white water rafting and tornadoes.
Foreshadowing. Kitten is the reincarnation of the Colorado River.

Water based powers? Check.
Mysterious backstory? Check.
Unstoppable? Check.
No one state has jurisdiction over her? Check.
I wanted so bad to feel clean again.
Don't worry, Zach! After you kill Kitten, and you come to terms with the people who died because of you, you can turn to substance abuse to dull that feeling. This will eventually transform you into the thing you hate most - your parents!

(I'm hoping it'll turn out better than that, but considering the title...)

Don't worry, Zach! After you kill Kitten, and you come to terms with the people who died because of you, you can turn to substance abuse to dull that feeling. This will eventually transform you into the thing you hate most - your parents!

(I'm hoping it'll turn out better than that, but considering the title...)
I Hate to be the bearer of bad news, But alcohol and most medication would be read by Zac's powers as poison.

I got exactly zero response to last chapter
In my defence, I only found 'Price' a few hours ago. Really great so far.

I'm enjoying Zach. I'm pretty much always a fan of characters who are aware/careful of how they present themselves to the world, and a bit of lying is always fun. But yeah… dude's got issues. I can already see a dozen ways they could cause problems for him.

The end of this chapter was great, one of those things I feel like an idiot for not anticipating. But yeah, didn't see his asthma returning after his power swap, and I definitely didn't see his secret identity being blown 6 chapters in. I'm really curious to see how Zach deals with this in the short/long term.

At the moment, a fair amount of my speculation is directed towards the name of the book. The "Price" part seems fairly self-explanatory, although I'm not sure what "death of a hero" is going to mean (Rose knight? Another literal death? Or something more symbolic? Certainly doesn't sound ominous). I'm guessing that "Price" is the series name, with following books getting names along the lines of "Price: Nothing Bad Happens This Time", or whatever.

Oh, and now I've got to decide if I need to go back and read Amelia, which apparently features a version of Zach. I swear that my reading list grows exponentially.

Typos
wearing my someone else's > don't think the "my" should be in there
lunchline > lunch line

Last edited:
Oh, and while I'm speculating, I can't help but wonder if at least part of the 'Price' of Zach's surge was being put in the exact position he least wants, in terms of everyone seeing his powers and realizing their implications.

On the plus side, Zach can make a great living helping doctors.
I hadn't even thought of that application. See, this is a good idea.

Did his clothing come with
Yeah, I have more creative ways to torment my characters.

This will eventually transform you into the thing you hate most - your parents!
This is more my style. Although the thing Zach hates most is Kitten... hmm....

Foreshadowing. Kitten is the reincarnation of the Colorado River.

Oh, sure, you people figure *that* out... but no one's noticed that Alexander went into the bathroom, talked to Zach, and then left... without ever doing anything like actually use the bathroom....

But alcohol and most medication would be read by Zac's powers as poison.
Yeup. Substance abuse is not an option for poor Zach. He'll have to find another way to drown out his sorrows.

I recommend copious amounts of meaningless casual sex, myself.

I only found 'Price' a few hours ago. Really great so far.
New poster... just found the story... where did YOU come from?

one of those things I feel like an idiot for not anticipating
This was exactly what I was going for. But to be absolutely fair to you and others who didn't catch it. I only vaguely foreshadowed it in chapter 2... and then avoided mention of the differences in his power's utility until this chapter. I didn't really want to give people time to see it coming.

I'm guessing that "Price" is the series name, with following books getting names
Wow. I'm not complaining in the least, but where DID you come from? Did someone set up a wiki without telling me?

Death of a Hero: First book in the series, Zach's perspective. It'll be as much an intro to the setting as a book unto itself, watching a Complete Newbie evolve into a hero.

In Triplicate: The first story that explores the pairbonding effect in significant detail. May be second. May be third. May be fourth. Yay for nonlinear stories. You'll also get to see what I do with Baal .

Dysphoria: The mileage I intend to get out of Eric's story. A Transgendered main character. Dealing with his fucked up mafia family. This is a POSSIBLE second book. Might come (much) later.

Nothing Given: Tentative title for the tentative third book. Anima's story. This is a pretty damn big turning point for Zach's story as well. And it introduces The Fears. They're kinda dicks.

In Blood: Akaihana's story in depth. I expect it to probably be the darkest story in the batch thus far. Mer might also feature pretty heavily in this one. You won't know either of them, that's fine.

Thicker Than Water: This is where you learn about Kitten's past. There's a *reason* she's so fucked up.

Buyer's Remorse: Zach's next turn as a main character. Poor kid just can't catch a break. But he does have impressive new tricks, and that's fun. There's a chance this story and Thicker Than Water will be the same book. I haven't planned that far ahead.

Don't Be Afraid: The Fears are back.

Crossing the Line Twice: A story of pairbonded siblings in Chicago, one a hero and one a villain.

Rebirth: which will be fun for fans of Rapture

Swan Song: which involves a singer, a stalker, and a convoluted murder mystery. From the perspective of the police employed heroes. This one might end up being Book Two, actually...

Oh, and now I've got to decide if I need to go back and read Amelia, which apparently features a version of Zach
Zach was, to quote another reader, "criminally underused" in Amelia. By design, mind you. But he had his moments. Amelia in general contains a lot of themes that Price (in its many, many books) shall explore. So it won't be a waste if you're enjoying this story. But it won't be necessary by any stretch.

PS- the early Amelia chapters are pretty terribly planned out and written, please forgive me...

Last edited:
where DID you come from?
Got here by pure random chance, really. I impulsively clicked on your name in a Copacetic thread,looking for the work you'd implied you'd done, and then followed the breadcrumbs over here to QQ, where I decided to read Price after looking at the options you were considering in the 'After Amelia' post. Really glad I did.

I should probably go update my SB sig to mention and link to the new story.

I'll link to the SV site, however. Less likely for the mods to shit themselves that way.

I did get most of zachs personality before you did the chapter from his sister's point of view but it did clarify thingsthings. I prefer zachs perspective but seeing him from the outside is interesting.

I am looking forward to the next chapter. I wonder how he deals with such a shitty reveal of his power :D how much are superheros and villains admired here? This could defiantly help him when he resorts to have lots of meaningless casual sex(the next best thing to substance abuse)

Price, Chapter Seven
Chapter 7

I rushed out of the classroom, the exclamations of the other students trailing behind me. Future detention be damned, I was out the door before anything else could go wrong. I skipped the bathroom entirely and went to the stairs to the roof. Really, no one was supposed to go up there, but the gangs kept breaking the locks until the school just gave up and let them have their way. They'd still bust people when they caught them, maybe, but the unofficial truce was that the gangs took their business up there, and they wouldn't get caught. In exchange, they kept their shit from spilling out into classes.

What generously counted as a stairwell to the roof was a rickety, metal framework clearly meant only for the janitorial staff. Cigarrette butts found themselves crushed into the corners, and the smell of smoke hung in the air. If upstairs was for the gangs, then the stairs themselves were for kids who just wanted a smoke. A couple of the seniors were there laughing about something. The girl was clearly far more interested in the guy than he was in her, a four trying to bag a seven. They shut up as I walked by. I had to wonder what they thought about me going into the forbidden zone.

Probably about the same thing that the gang kids did when I stepped out on the roof. Kid's gonna get himself stabbed. I glanced at the segregation these gangs had built for themselves. Overall, there were about thirty people up here split into five groups.

Two different clusters of blacks, exchanging hate filled glances at each other and at the skinhead group. The obligatory skinhead group, never leave your trailer without one. And a group with mixed black and white closest to the door. That meant they had the least status.

The hispanic kids dominated the far corner. They were the ones who functionally owned the school. Outnumbering all of the other gangs. They also had the distinction of being the only ones open with their name. Los Fieles.

Most of the gangs these days didn't give themselves names. That practice, much like gang colors, was for the nineties. Now the gangs were run more like terrorist cells, where you only knew your crew and your crew boss. If you really needed to check affiliations, there were any number of codewords or hand signs to give your secrets away, but they kept their memberships as tight and blind as possible. The exception being the supervillains. If your group had one of those, you bragged about it to everyone.

Because having powers changed all the rules.

I laughed at the thought. It probably sounded more psychotic than mirthful, venting the stress of what just happened. The whole point of wearing a mask was to make sure no one knew who you were when you went after assholes like these.

Others glared, sizing me up and deciding just what to do about me. I'm sure they had their share of kids come up here, not realizing their mistake. But most of them didn't laugh like a crazy man. One of the black guys near the door just laughed along with me. "Man, you clearly need to chill. Doctors say too much stress is bad for you. And I have just the prescription." He held out his hand, offering a small dark blue pill. "Don't worry, this one's on the house."

I looked at him. "So, the first one's always free? Swear I've heard that before."

He shrugged. "Hey, still gotta run a business, y'know. Ain't forcin' anyone to accept my hospitality."

A quick glance was all it took to know that was a lie. Whatever the pill was, probably some brand of ex, or Molly, or whatever the fuck they were calling it now, I either took it or there would be trouble. The pill would be physical proof I was up here doing a crime, which made my credibility somewhere between 'zero' and 'perp' if I reported anything later.

In a way, it was almost touching. These people would be more than happy to murder each other and dump the bodies in the Potomac, but they would work together without hesitation to deal with an outsider like me. I either accepted the drugs now, or a hospital trip later.

"Sure, I could use a vacation," I took the pill and popped it in my mouth. Now, conventional wisdom about pills is you're supposed to swallow them and let them hit the system that way. But I knew a few tricks about medicine, and crunched down on the pill, swishing it with saliva and holding it between my lips and gums. They didn't quite go numb, but the chemicals, whatever they were, definitely felt weird.

And then I was standing beside myself. The bitter taste of medicine and the strange sensation of the drugs starting to hit my system vanished, replaced by that damn shimmer of watching myself disolve yet again. "Unfortunately, it's not that easy for me."

"Fuck! He has powers!" No idea who said that, but quiet murmers went through the crowd. Their eyes went from suspicion to fear, and some were reaching into their clothes for what I assumed were weapons. Or maybe cell phones. Didn't really matter to me, either way.

"Relax, guys, I'm not here to cause trouble. Just need some privacy for a phone call." Without the echoes, amongst other things, of the bathrooms. "You don't mind giving me a few minutes of privacy, do you?"

I had to wonder exactly what they were thinking. They knew I had powers, they didn't know what those powers were. And some Imbued got powers like 'anyone who tries to attack me spontaneously combusts', so it was generally considered safer to not start fights with them. Us. And if they did decide to test me, well. A part of me hoped they would try. Thirty teenagers were nothing compared to a single Kitten. Hell, all I really needed to do was tag a few of them with my power. It was much too cold out today to fight naked.

The pusher must have seen some of that in my eyes, because he smiled and stepped aside. "Free country. He and his buddies went inside almost as soon as I stepped past them, leaving me with the others. They were kind enough to clear out and let me have a spot near the edge. I pulled the phone out and dialed Anima's number. Fuck, what am I supposed to do? How do I even ask what I'm supposed to do? I've never known an outed Imbued before, not in person.

She picked up on the third ring. "Uh, I was expecting you later."

May as well just get it out in the open right away. "My cover was blown."

There was hesitation. "Okay, just give me a second." The phone went quiet, kinda like I was being transfered to another line but without the shitty music. I pulled myself together, and gave looks at the people trying to edge close enough to hear the conversation. While waiting I found a good spot against the wall to hide from the wind. The phone clicked after about a minute and a half. "Alright, so how bad? On camera, any witnesses that know your civilian identity? Any way to convince them they're wrong?"

I thought for a second. "Cameras wouldn't surprise me, but doubt it. Couple dozen witnesses who see me almost every day. No mistaking it. They don't know what I can do, but they definitely know I can do something." What the fuck am I supposed to do? "I'm not sure what to do with a public power."

"How did it happen? And where."

"Umm... well, I was in class and" stupidly forgot my inhaler because I thought I was untouchable, same thing that caused me to lose against Kitten. "I fell asleep and my powers activated and everyone saw it."

"I thought you said you didn't need sleep."

"My powers changed while I was fighting Kitten. I didn't realize they changed this much."

"You surged during-? Dammit. Okay, I'm not really qualified to explain surges and we don't have time to worry about that right now. Alright, there are laws preventing colleges from discriminating-"

"High school."

"What?"

"I'm not a college student."

"Of course you're not. Okay, anti-discrimination still in effect. You're good for the rest of the day, but as a minor, the school is mandated by law report your manifestation to the authorities and your parents."

So now Mom and Dad find out. Muck futhering goat testicles. "What about villains? Are they going to come after my family?"

Anima hesitated for a moment. "Ordinarily, I'd say no. There aren't many villains that stupid or psychotic. They tend to get themselves wiped out pretty quickly. But."

"But Kitten." God damn everything.

"But Kitten. It's hard to know what someone like her will do."

I squeezed my eyes shut. She tortured me, humiliated me and mocked me, and all to guarantee I'd come after her again. She was a living lie detector, she had to know there was no need to attack my family, I was going to kill her no matter what. But she might do it just for fun. I put that thought aside, under the long list of things I couldn't change. "What else am I looking at?"

"It depends on a number of things. They'll pull up your school records and point their Espers at you. Find ways to pressure you into PREP. Maybe get your parents to talk to you about it. They'll give you some lines about how PREP is to train you to use your powers if you want to be a hero, or help you find a career where you can make a lot of money using your powers in the private sector. That's partly true, sure, but it's also so they can catalog your abilities and psychological traits in depth, in case they need to take you out."

"Okay, sounds like an easy 'go to hell' to me." I was pretty sure they wouldn't want me going after Kitten once I signed up for their bullshit. That and I really didn't like the idea of them having psychics crawling around in my head. Metaphorically or literally. Normal shrinks were bad enough, I didn't want to deal with ones that had powers.

"If they figure out about Kitten, and some Espers or even normal investigators might put it together, then they'll pull out the really big guns."

"Well, that sounds totally not ominous in any way whatsoever."

"Don't worry, they've learned from experience that hard selling is a bad plan. Especially on someone who might rank in the top hundred supers in the country. Which is a key point here, you walked away from a fight a top level villain that's not afraid of killing her opponents. That makes you almost as high priority as she is. If they ask you to talk to a guidance counselor, then they don't know. If they have one of their people make an appointment with you, they know about Kitten. Then it's just a guess over who they'll send."

"Any hints?"

"Would you say you're easily influenced by women?"

"No, I wouldn't say that." It may be totally true, but I would never actually say it.

"Well, if you were, they'd probably go with Sapphire or Sympathy." She spit out their names. "Might go with one of them anyway. Sapphire's got celebrity behind her, they might figure they can use that for leverage. Sympathy's young, but a truly expert manipulator. I'm pretty sure it's part of her powers. Don't believe anything that lying skank says. Not that Sapphire's much better. They will tell you whatever they think you want to hear, as long as it furthers their goals. Then use you until they think you have nothing left to offer before throwing you away. "

And that is the voice of someone who's been burned hard. Sapphire, I knew of. Flying and super strength, in a solid blue outfit that was basically a full body bathing suit. She'd been doing the hero thing since before I was born. Anima wasn't wrong about the celebrity angle. Sympathy I'd never heard of before. I resolved to look her up online. "Got it, beware the babe brigade."

"After that, I'm not sure. You're not the type who'd listen to Guardian, are you?"

I could hear a note of disapproval in her voice. Not the same vitriolic hatred as when she talked about the other two, simply disapproval. Him, at least, I knew why. "You mean there isn't a law against him talking to people? They really need to fix that."

She chuckled a little, and I relaxed. Anima was someone I really wanted on my side, for a number of reasons. "If only. But I can't tell you who else to expect. I don't really know most of them, or you, well enough to guess how they plan around these things. That and they have Espers, so they'll be able to plan in ways we can't."

"Doesn't matter, I'm not interested in what they're selling." No matter what they might offer, it got between me and Kitten. And that, especially now, was not an option. If I didn't go after her, she would come for me or my family. The bell buzzed for classes. Fuck, I forgot about that. "Umm, I gotta go. I'll call you later, if that's alright."

"It might be best to wait until the heat dies down a bit. I've got a friend who can tell you more about surges. We'll plan for the weekend."

Dammit. "Okay, I can do that." I really don't want to, but I can. "Bye."

I hung up the phone and rushed down to get my books. I even skipped the stairs, in favor of the fast method.

"Jesus fuck!" Huh, same couple as when I went up. Boy, their teachers are gonna be pissed. I was out the door before my copy even finished dissolving on the floor.

At least the damn Home Ec room was already on the top floor, so it didn't take me long to get to the room. Students hesitated as they noticed me, some even backed up out of the doorway so I could get into the classroom.

Ferne cut in through the gap, my books once again on top of hers. "Next time, you owe me ten dollars."

I took the books, and followed her out. "You, uh, don't seem like this surprises you."

She shrugged. "Second thing they teach you in psych. The best way to handle things like this is to let the subject know that nothing's changed between you. Adapt slightly for the context at hand. Right there next to 'how does that make you feel' in the handbook."

Huh, having someone act like I'm normal is surprisingly comforting, actually. "In what part of that handbook do they tell you to tell the 'subject' about that trick?"

"Oh, that one's specific to you. Superhuman senses are more common than any other type of power, and many can work as lie detection. It's better just to tell the truth than risk a perceived violation of trust."

"Huh. Maybe I should get in that class."

"Probably not a bad idea. It won't be an easy 'A', but that's okay, I find the sweetest rewards are the ones you work hardest for."

She walked off, and I couldn't help but take a glance at her 'A' as she did. I've appreciated worse. There was something about her that I couldn't quite figure out. But I still had my history class to worry about, and unlike Home Ec, that one I sorta cared about.

People went silent as I walked into the class. I smiled and acted like nothing was wrong, while wishing that everyone in the school was more like Ferne. Wishing they would just pretend nothing was different, so I could pretend I wasn't different.

Miss Harmon met the class with her smile. "Zach, I heard a rumor that you have powers?"

Oh god damn it, can't I just catch a fucking break? "Something like that."

"Well, then I expect this project will be extra interesting for you, and the rest of the class." Miss Harmon was all smiles, and just like that she went from being my favorite teacher to the class I hoped to trade for psychology.

Using me as a prop for class participation, as if my day isn't garbage enough. Why didn't I get the power to telepathically rewrite memories or something? That's a power I would love to have right about half an hour ago.

Eddie leaned over. "Seriously? Powers, that's cool as hell. What can you do? Lasers? Flight? See through clothing?"

Fuck me sideways. Eddie did more than half the group's work, I almost had an obligation to answer him. "So, in order, the answers are no, I prefer to think of it as 'falling with style', and they said they were fresh out." Huh, I can see through clothes, can't I? Thanks a lot, Eddie, now I'm going to be tempted to use that power every time a girl gets close. "But I can't go around telling everyone what my powers do. The less you know, the better off you are, just in case the supervillains come asking."

Eddie's smile faltered a little. That's right, there are like twenty goddamn gangs in this school, and a few had at least one supervillain in them. Word was going to spread fast. "That's kinda heavy."

Cassie leaned over, giving me a more than generous view down her shirt. "No x-ray vision, huh? Are you sure?"

I managed to pull my eyes away from her cleavage, after it was too late to fool anyone. "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed by now."

"I believe you." Her look was smoldering. "Guess you just have to do things the old fashioned way, huh?"

What. "Uh... Yeah, I guess I do."

"Okay, class," Miss Harmon spoke, and I used that excuse to look away from Cassie. I had other things to think about right now. Like class. And Kitten. And everyone and their god damn second cousin knowing about me. "Sarah, it's your turn to present for your group."

Sarah wasn't exactly a popular student. For one, she was on the pudgier side. Plus she was only a freshman, in a class mostly for juniors and seniors. She was also very smart, and she wouldn't let you forget it, which didn't earn her a lot of friends. I wasn't exactly an expert on Asian features, but her last name was 'Nguyen', so her features probably came from wherever that was. Anyway, her team got to work setting up pictures and charts on the board. "Our presentation is on the nineteen forties. Starting with the premise that, without Imbued involvement, the Second World War would not have occurred."

Of course she'd pick something like that. Bold and ambitious and basically invalidating most of the other projects simply by saying 'your theory can't exist because mine already disproved it'.

"To start, we have to look a bit earlier, at the Treaty of Versailles, which crippled Germany economically and resulted in a disproportionate number of superhumans in that and other nearby nations. Including, as we all know, The Führer. Whose power allowed him to functionally mind control a nation."

"He took command of the economically depressed Germany, then went on to form alliances with Italy, Russia, and Japan. And used his abilities to conquer Poland within weeks while preventing the allied forces from acting until it was far too late to prevent the brutal conflict to come. Without him, Germany never would have had the resources to start a war to begin with, and if they had it would have been over quickly."

"Let's examine the Versailles treaty in greater depth-"

The intercom buzzed. "Zach Parker, will you please come to the office?"

Yes! I mean. Crap!

=======================

A/N- I enjoyed this chapter.

Ferne has begun to remind me of Daria. I approve heartily of this.

Miss Harmon is based loosely on a real teacher I had (not history, my history teachers were always brain meltingly boring, without exception) who would single out the three not-white students in our class out whenever doing any project that might loosely relate to their ancestry. It was never anything you could point to and say was racist, but it was awkward as hell at times.

Like a less extreme version of Mr. Uberwitz from Boondocks.

And, I don't know if it will ever be possible to say this in the story proper, so I'll say it here: yes, "The Führer" was still Hitler. And no, he did not have powers, the way powers work makes that more or less impossible. But it's a comforting lie that people like to tell themselves.

Last edited:
Getting outed right away is harsh, and too many stories that do it die horribly. I'm glad this is you, so I don't have to worry about that. [color=][/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back