• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Sneaking His Way into the Multiverse (RWBY Jaune, WC-lite mechanics)

I see Aura a 'light & heat' to soul's 'flame' a not-mana constantly generated by Awakened souls.
But I don't know about 'Semblance is necessary for the applications shown in RWBY' part. There's aura users like Torchwick who use aura just fine without ever manifesting their Semblance.
I mean that everyone has a Semblance, which acts like a pool that stores Aura and direct it towards the body, and an attached effect.

Just because people haven't figured out what their Semblance is doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, after all.

The only exception to that would be Mercury, so he's got an empty spot where his Semblance should be, though that blank spot still fulfills the same purpose of other Semblances of gathering Aura.

4. Later, he only called out faunus and Dust being new sights in the future, not Aura.
If it indeed existed as a trait of Mk1 Humanity (rather than being a magic substitute the Brothers added in to new batch before leaving) I think Aura was just a 'mage armor' or 'reinforcement' type spell equivalent ability they barely used since they had actual magic to keep themself safe with (like that bubble shield Ozma prefers)
The only exception to that would be Mercury, so he's got an empty spot where his Semblance should be, though that blank spot still fulfills the same purpose of other Semblances of gathering Aura.
Talk about the writers not thinking about the implications. On paper Mercury's old man was an alcoholic, unambitious version of AFO.

Last edited:
That's some neat worldbuilding! Though personally I lean more towards Aura having always been there from the start, with four points of evidence in favor of this.

1. When the God of Light vaporized Ozma, we see his Aura flaring brightly before he dies again.
2. When Salem threw herself into the pools of Grimm, you can see a glimmer of light playing over her skin which could be her Aura. It might just be light from above, but the 'water's' pitch black and it was night time. Salem also got hit by what seemed to be repeated 'strikes' from the pools of destruction before she became a Grimm, thus potentially meaning Aura can briefly resist liquid destruction magic.
3. When Ozma reincarnated for the first time, he didn't hesitate to grab a sword and trivially kill a Beowolf, a feat not impossible for a baseline human, but exceedingly dangerous--and he made it look easy.
4. Later, he only called out faunus and Dust being new sights in the future, not Aura.

Nothing too concrete, could be off base and reading too much into some fancy VFX. But I'm feelin' bout 70% sure I'm right.
If a 'semblance of magic' can pull on Aura, there isn't anything saying that Magic proper doesn't.

Magic sets up the spell, and Aura provides the fuel.

They just may not have known about Aura being a separate thing from Magic until Ozpin tried to grant magic to people.

We do see that he can divvy up his magic out to people without losing Aura, amd the same (well, similar) thong happened to Mercury.

Local Magic (or Semblance) is the first step to using Aura like the locals due, but after you figure it out it's permanently unlocked as that specific kind of ability.

Last edited:
I wonder what will Lisa's Semblance be? It would be hilarious if it manifests as a tylenol equivalent. A Required Secondary Power to facilitate the use of her superpower beyond shard-imposed limits.

Also it's interesting how both aura and shard users can 'second trigger' under similar circumstances.

I wonder what will Lisa's Semblance be? It would be hilarious if it manifests as a tylenol equivalent. A Required Secondary Power to facilitate the use of her superpower beyond shard-imposed limits.
It'd be hilarious if it was something like changing the color of her aura, eyes, and hair.

Tattletale: "What use is this?!"
Jaune: "It looks very pretty?"
Tattletale: "Well, naturally, but it isn't useful."
Also it's interesting how both aura and shard users can 'second trigger' under similar circumstances.
What? How do Semblances do a 'second trigger' equivalent?

What? How do Semblances do a 'second trigger' equivalent?
They can "evolve" under certain circumstances.
Like Ren's going from Grimm specific 'notice me not' to 'I can now also see everyones emotions like differently coloured auras'.
Or Neo's illusions going from 'one, maybe two fragile hardlight illusions' into full blown 'tangible enough to mess you up small army of monsters' illusions.
Or Ruby going from 'superspeed in a straight line, with petal generation as special effect' to 'full-blown flight, transformation, splitting herself into three petal streams.
Or Blake's going from 'brief, barely humanlike shadow clones' to a Naruto style Substitution etc.

Last edited:
Like Ren's going from Grimm specific 'notice me not' to 'I can now also see everyones emotions like differently coloured auras'.
Or Neo's illusions going from 'one, maybe two fragile hardlight illusions' into full blown 'tangible enough to mess you up small army of monsters' illusions.
Or Ruby going from 'superspeed in a straight line, with petal generation as special effect' to 'full-blown flight, transformation, splitting herself into three petal streams.
Or Blake's going from 'brief, barely humanlike shadow clones' to a Naruto style Substitution etc.
Oh, towards the end when Rooster Teeth was progressively shitting the bed.

It could be argued they were shitting the bed from the get go. There's many things I like about RWBY (otherwise I wouldn't be reading fanfics about it) but stuff like 'nuanced worldbuilding', 'attention to details' and 'internal consistency' were never their strong points.

Last edited:
You cannot see it, but I am rolling my eyes.

Look, a superpower that's influenced by your personality growing stronger or manifesting new abilities due to character development and your personality changing, is hardly a data point in RT shitting the bed. More fault can be found with their shitty merch and poor budget management.

Ren got his emotion sense after he stopped repressing his own, Qrow got good and bad luck manipulation after overcoming his alcoholism and by not blaming himself for everything bad happening anymore, etc.

I do think you are right, though, in that Semblances likely are a semblance of magic, them being each a single spell that humanity 1.0 could cast. Maybe something about their Auras trying to fill the gaping hole in their souls where magic once was.

I thought that was mostly because of practice and strengthening the part that part of their soul.

On the matter of aura and semblances. I don't agree that they developed semblances as a natural response to losing magic, but more of a logical development. When everyone can call down lightning you're not going to push aura to its limits, with the natural result that no one ever develops a semblance or figures out how to do interesting things with aura. i do agree on the naming convention tho, "semblance" as a name coming from the miss conception that it was what little magic they had left but in reality not being related at all.

Edit: interesting aura question. Would someone with aura be able to see Stands and Hollows? I'd say yes.
What would giving aura do to Lisa's shard?

Last edited:
Surprisingly if you are ever in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer setting. Being a vampire with a soul and having Juane or Lisa unlock your aura is a really big deal. Aura enhancement on top of vampiric physiology, aura protection from being staked or decapitated unless it breaks first and a semblance. In a setting were the forces of light and dark will be battling each other, someone who can train and enhance warriors for humanity or the light is a strategic resource and would give even more weight to the prophecy.

Depending on when in the timeline the are the might get a tagalong of right after her climactic fight before the ascension or hilariously maybe harmony or Conner.

Don't mind me, just jotting this down. For...reasons.

It's an interesting thought, there's a lot of usable material in the buffyverse, resources, knowledge and a place with paradoxically ever present threats and is relatively peaceful.

so fun fact, that wasn't an evolution, it was because she fell into the room of creation in the ever after. Sure it wasn't stated at or hinted at, and it was actually cut from the show in production, but that is what happened.

God vol 9 sucked

Forgoing a chase, he chambered his left fist, and punched. A long, shadowy arm zipped across the distance, fingers spread to clasp around the runner's leg and pull.
I just realized why Far Reach was so familiar. It's a shadowy, stretchy arm. And he didn't even have to lose his own arm to get it. Post-Beacon Cinder would be so jealous :D
Being a vampire with a soul and having Juane or Lisa unlock your aura is a really big deal.
The best part is that protection Aura offers goes with the soul. So if said vampire is ever desouled again the demon in the driving seat would lose any of the benefits ;)

Last edited:
Interesting suggestions, thanks for that! Though, while game-wise/manga-plot-wise they have level mechanics to make acquisition easy or timeskips to make the story move fast, lore-wise it's years of dedication, inborn talent, studying, etc or a whole ton of Points to skip that. I find it a tad difficult to implement within this story, especially since the characters wouldn't know just how good those powers are to pursue it.

If a quick power up is needed then I suggest a pseudo servant class from Nasuverse and Sunshine from 7 deadly sins. Sunshine is empowered by Sun, so could work well with Sundancer.

Also I still suggest to pick up Warcraft Light because it gives access to healing and is very intuitive and responsive to heroic and determined individuals

If a quick power up is needed then I suggest a pseudo servant class from Nasuverse and Sunshine from 7 deadly sins. Sunshine is empowered by Sun, so could work well with Sundancer.

Also I still suggest to pick up Warcraft Light because it gives access to healing and is very intuitive and responsive to heroic and determined individuals
On powers they could buy and are easy to use the most straightforward would be the super serum from marvel. This sets all there physical abilities at super/peekhuman and depending on the version a significantly improved life span. The obvious problem being it also magnifies your personality, Lisa and Jaune are not paragons of virtue. All of their pros would be dialed to 11 and the same for their flaws. It would probably be a good idea to buy a weaker version like Blackwidow has in the comics if it saves them from dealing with the negative side effects.
The price could probably go up if they wanted to purchase knowledge of the serum and how to safely use it.
So probably too expensive for the foreseeable future. They can probably by comperable perks that improve health, longevity or physical condition. Unless those are the perks they think that would only apply to the character sheet.

Chapter 13: We Go to Whorehouses for Queen and Country (Part 2) New
Within the city of Dunwall, the Golden Cat existed as a world apart.

Grandiose. Gaudy. In your face. The mansion rejected the utilitarian concept prevalent throughout the surrounding neighborhoods in favor of bright colors and curving walls, domed rotundas and the nouveau styles. Parts of it resembled a fortress, elsewhere a palace. The balance of the structure had been shifted to one end, right against the waterfront, to introduce an asymmetry that further emphasized the distance between the brothel and what existed beyond the borders of the establishment. With its inspired design, the Golden Cat commanded the attention of every pair of eyes present, Jaune included.

…Yes, the architecture was what fascinated him, those massive domes and round arches. That's his story and he's sticking to it. The dozens of prostitutes at the balconies and windows posing for the public to admire, waving and blowing kisses to entice them inside, did nothing for him.

"Can you be any more obvious?" Tattletale asked in between bites of her croissant.

Oh, no! There was someone here with the ability to read his intentions!

"What? I'm scoping the place out. Checking it for weaknesses, you know?" Jaune got the impression that she did not believe him. Weakly, he offered up another excuse, "...One of the Pendletons might be dumb enough to show his face?"

Tattletale opened her mouth to retort, then paused in thought. Her subsequent grumbles were sweet music to his ears.

"Just because you have a point, doesn't mean your lies are fooling me for even a second."

It was often not the employees of the brothel visible in the windows, but clients seeking the thrill of public sex, the identities of illustrious figures who might otherwise be recognized by those below preserved by the semi-sheer gauze curtains that hinted rather than showed the acts outright. That said, a rare few have eschewed such barriers to their passion, and a passerby can clearly see the woman pressed to the glass with her breasts on display or—one floor up and a few rooms over—the man standing with arms akimbo while a head bobbed up and down at his waist level. The brothel appeared content to let it happen, the exhibitionist plays serving as a form of advertisement for the many delights that a guest could find within Dunwall's premier house of pleasure.

Thus far, the faces that Jaune could make out failed to match up with the sketches of the Pendleton brothers. Or, maybe, he was too distracted to properly tell.

"How is it going on your end? Any nosy guards thinking to check on our story?"

"Nope, I think we're in the clear. If those guys were going to follow us, they would have done it by now. It's safe to go."

One less variable that could screw them over, then. Good.

Jaune dusted off the rest of his apple danish with a few quick bites. Seeing this, Tattletale finished her own meal, and drained her teacup. The shop bell chimed a soft ting-a-ling as they exited the bakery together.

An embroidered hand fan snapped to Tattletale's hand, unfurled with a flick of her wrist. She fluttered the accessory before her face in what she must have imagined a classy manner. Jaune looked at it askance.

"Where did you get that?"

She gestured vaguely over her shoulder.

"You just stole it from someone?"

"I liberated it for the sake of our mission. And no, I'm not being hyperbolic. Do you know what the other female customers who we saw entering the brothel had in common?"

His eyes darted around for an answer, finding none. Yet, if anything, that caused Tattletale's smile behind the fan to widen. She patted him on the arm to comfort him.

"Don't worry, most people will miss it. I, on the other hand, noticed the problem right away."

A 'praise me' aura practically exuded from her in waves.

"All of them had a prop, either a parasol or a hand fan that covered their faces to some extent as a thin veneer of anonymity. It's the done thing around here and we would have drawn attention to ourselves had I gone without one. The idiots at the Hound Pits Pub neglected to think of it, which left me to take care of the issue." She sighed, shaking her head. "Good grief, it's like being in the Undersiders again."

Jaune likewise shook his head. "We could have found a shop that sells them. Or, hell, go up to the woman it belonged to and offer to buy the thing. Why did you think stealing that was necessary?"

Thievery shouldn't have been the first method they resorted to, was his point. They had other avenues to explore. Tattletale disagreed, her attitude dismissive as she listened to his spiel. Once he paused, she rolled her eyes.

"Look, it's really not that bad. In a society like this, pickpocketing is almost a game. For something so small? That woman is rich and she can afford a thousand more." She fluttered the fan for emphasis. "Then there's people like us who need to eat, who are out doing good things. A bit of theft gives us a leg up, while the worst she'd experience is a minute of ordering a servant to go buy a replacement, and now she has a story that she can whine about to her friends over tea. In the bigger scheme of things, nobody's actually getting hurt. Nobody's losing out."

There was a problem with her rationale. He cannot put into adequate words what that problem was, but it existed. It must. What kind of morality system applies different judgments to an act based on a person's wealth? Unless, she's right?

No, no. A supervillain made for an unreliable role model.

Unfortunately, debating laid outside his narrow range of expertise, and Jaune was having trouble coming up with compelling objections. Arguments along the line of 'stealing is wrong' held zero weight coming from a graverobber, and he didn't believe it anyway. A thief telling a thief not to go thieving, it sounded like a joke.

The Outsider might have been onto something. Jaune had a habit of fooling himself.

"You know I'm right," Tattletale chirped. Her cheeky grin had grown to the extent that it should have by now split her face in half. She reveled in her victory, humming as she strolled across the street.

"I can't say you're wrong. Not the same thing. We'll…talk about it later." After he had a chance to develop a defense that she won't tear straight through as if it were paper.

"Nihihi, 'kay~"

They passed through the gate of the brothel, above which the golden silhouette of a cat perched. Another cat, identical except for being taller than a full-grown man, sat atop the biggest of the dome roofs to announce the name of the building to all and sundry. Sightless, they yet seemed to peer down at Jaune and Tattletale as the two entered a private garden. At the far end, two guards stood on either sides of the entrance, and they performed a cursory scan of the pair, the gazes turning appreciative as they landed on Tattletale. With a shudder, she slipped her free hand into a hidden fold on her dress—one that Jaune did not realize even existed—and took out the keyfob for the Inhibitor on her neck. A press, and her power shut off.

"Saw waaay too much into their fetishes," was the explanation she gave, before an eruption of outcries and whistles poured down from the balconies over their heads.

"Hey, handsome!"

"So dashing! I love a man in uniform."

"Ask for Betty, hon! I'll show you a good time!"

"No, me! Tell them you want me!"

"What I would let him do—"

"What I would let them do—"

Jaune gave an awkward cough. The show of bashfulness only served to set off a new round of catcalls.

"W-Well, you sure are popular," Tattletale remarked, likewise flustered.

"Did I ever say that other universes are great? Because they are." It was proving quite difficult to keep his face from cracking into a dopey look. "And hey, you're getting some attention yourself."

"I think the main focus is still on you in those cases, just with me in the picture…" she trailed off. The embroidered fan failed to hide her blush.

Her other hand played with the controller to the choker, thumbing over the button in indecision. She eventually stored the keyfob back in the pocket without reactivating her power, and tugged on his sleeve to signal that they should hurry along. Her eyes refused to meet his.

They ascended the front steps, with Tattletale sliding closer to him to avoid the guards. One of the men opened the door for them, and…

Jaune's heart sped up. His lips went dry. It truly hit home for him that this was a brothel.

Gauze and silks and—above all—naked flesh filled his vision, spread out over the reception room and up the winding staircase. Everywhere he turned, he saw scantily clad breasts and asses, though within the last couple of seconds a few women have decided to pull at their outfits in order to bare themselves in full, directing come-hither looks at him.

Oh! That woman there was hopping up and down! Jaune stared at the bouncing pair of apple-sized breasts, hypnotized.

A nudge to his side awoke Jaune from the trance, and he looked down at his companion. Tattletale, beet red and floundering, pointed ahead at an older woman dressed in a more business-like ensemble, and sporting a face caked with makeup. The employees of the shop treated her with deference, moving out of her path. The madame of the brothel was approaching.

As quietly as he could, Jaune murmured, "She might know—"

Tattletale needed no further prompting. Pivoting her body to hide her hand, she reached for the Inhibitor keyfob in a surreptitious motion, bringing her power back on.

Her expression turned wooden.

"Welcome to the Golden Cat," the madame declared with a simpering smile. "Welcome to the time of your lives. Here, you will find the finest ladies in all the Isles, skilled in a thousand ways to give you pleasure, as you desire." She leered at Jaune. "As. You. Desire—is something wrong?"

Pale and gulping air, the best Tattletale could manage was an incomprehensible gurgle. Unable to take it anymore, she triggered the Inhibitor. Jaune leaned down to check on her.

"Ew. Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew."

She saw too much again, huh? Worse this time, from the look of it, which raised all sorts of concerns about the madame if she can outdo the two guardsmen in sheer depravity.

Ignorant as to her part in the byplay, the befuddled woman asked, "Has she taken ill? Is it," her voice lowered to a fearful whisper, "the Plague?"

Jaune deflected at once. "Oh no no, she's always been of a delicate constitution, and the perfumes here did not agree with her. It's rather cloying. Do you have a room with a balcony we can book? Some fresh air would improve her mood."

The skepticism remained, but when Jaune withdrew a money pouch from his jacket, the madame readily dropped that line of question, plus whatever other pesky inquiries she may have. Her eyes were lit up with greed.

"Let me see the rooms we have available," she said as she bustled behind the reception counter to consult a ledger. Her absence left a gap that allowed Jaune to notice a sign, set front and center of that counter, with words engraved in permanence on its surface.

What might it say? What poetic motto encapsulated the core essence for this house of pleasure?

"Please, do not ask for credit."

In other words, money talks. How…grounded.

"The Gold Room is currently free, and it has a private balcony which offers a most beautiful view of the river. The sheets are made of silk, imported from—"

"I'll take it."

Showing her experience, she took the curt reply in stride, and changed her style of conversation to suit.

"The price is two hundred gold ones, for a maximum of an hour. Girls come separately, fifty upfront."

Jaune placed a second money pouch on the counter to total three hundred or so, thinking that he'd get the difference back. He did not. The madame left the bag where it laid, and swept her arms wide to indicate the courtesans.

She's going to pocket the extra coins on the sly, wasn't she?

"Very good, milord! Have any of the girls caught your fancy?"

He glanced at Tattletale, receiving no help there. Without her power, she was as lost as he. In lack of guidance, Jaune just pointed on a whim at one of the employees, the bouncy woman. The ensuing jeers and whines of disappointment only ended when the madame raised her voice. Afterward, she called to the selected courtesan.

"Verity, lead our esteemed guests to the Gold Room. And I had better hear that you've shown them the level of service our establishment is known for."

"Yes, Madame Prudence."

"And dear?" The older woman stopped Tattletale. She tried to pull her aside, but Tattletale would have none of it, dodging from her grasp, so the madame settled for speaking in a hush. "If you would like, you can step into this parlor here before you go, and I'll have one of my girls retouch your makeup. We have a new paint that will cover those unfortunate freckles of yours right up."

Shy Tattletale vanished, leaving outraged Tattletale.

Spitting mad, the girl snarled, "I think I'll live with my freckles, thanks. Just like you'll have to live with that itch, and the clap, the crab, the pox, the—" Jaune pressed his fingers over her lips to halt the tirade.

"Excuse us. She has been stressed lately, hence our coming here." He squinted his eyes in a glare, playing up the lover angle. "However, I expect an apology for your insinuation. Her freckles are cute."

Behind his hand, Tattletale squeaked.

"E-ehem, my apologies, miss," The shell-shocked madame managed to stutter out. The warmth she faked had disappeared due to the scathing remarks, and Jaune detected a tinge of panic to her, as if a dozen ignored symptoms had taken on new meaning in the past half a minute. Her eyes darted past them. "Verity! Hurry up and get to work!"

Subtext, distract them for me!

The prostitute executed an inept curtsy as Jaune and Tattletale turned their attention to her, and proceeded to—very happily—mould herself to Jaune's other side, towing the two of them to the staircase, whose wall was adorned by the many pictures of notable past employees.

Their ascent was slow going, hampered by the large number of people crowding the steps, who saw their last chance to tempt Jaune. They whispered promises in his ears of sensual delights. Soft hands caressed his arms and chest, moving ever lower until the boldest among them cupped his bulge. It opened the floodgate for competition between the courtesans, a game to arouse him to the limit, and he quickly hardened under their ministrations.

So threatened by the many contenders throwing their hat in the ring, the woman named Verity had to protect her claim. She did it by taking his hand and placing it on top of her bust.

…Not wanting to be rude (and for absolutely no other reasons), he gave her tit a firm squeeze. Fascinated, he brushed his fingers over her nipple, eliciting a sweet "Ahn~" to send a thrill up his spine. In return, Verity arched her back in encouragement, and slipped both arms behind his head, drawing him down.

Tattletale, who the woman seemed to have treated as an afterthought in all this, cleared her throat and brought their focus to the fact that they've stopped at the top of the stairs for a while now.

"Our room?" she pressed, while slapping away a couple of errant hands that were more interested in her than him. Jaune groaned in the realization that he'd have to walk around in his current condition.

The second floor, much like the lobby, featured wallpaper of a vivid red that cast everything in a rosy glow. Gold gildings decorated the door frames and furniture. Portraits of half-clothed or nude women, and abstract sculptures suggesting the same, lended the brothel an air of opulence mixed with eroticism, designed to excite those who walked within its halls.

Folding screens partitioned off corners to create places of intimacy throughout, divans occupied by couples who flirted and teased—and from fleeting glimpses, often moving onto more pleasurable things. City Watch guards were present to provide security, though Jaune hesitated to say they were doing a good job of it, what with the majority of them engaging in activities far outside their scope of responsibility.

Fucking. They were fucking.

Facilitating a rescue of the princess should be a breeze if this was the opposition they face.

At the far end of the hall can be heard a cacophony of voices, music, and laughter, muffled by a set of closed doors. As Verity was leading them towards it, Tattletale directed Jaune's attention to a piece of decoration hanging on the wall.

It was a rune.

Jaune mouthed 'no'. Tattletale mouthed 'yes'. He palmed his face when she used the opening of Verity walking ahead to the doors to dart over and snatched the rune from its resting place, running back and tucking it under his jacket just as Verity looked around.

"And here we have the pride and joy of the Golden Cat."

She threw open the doors to reveal the central rotunda, two massive floors arranged in an open space layout. Musicians played on harps to provide an ambient song for the room. Couches were nestled under trees and flowers, blending comfort with nature.

That may, perhaps, be the reason so many people have chosen to get back to the natural state of mankind, discarding their clothes to join together in a writhing mass. Decorum, standards, propriety, the trappings of civilization so valued by Dunwall's nobility fell by the wayside, replaced by simple lust. Couples, throuples, harems, reverse-harems, there were little distinctions as people switched to whatever group activity caught their fancy. Sexual acts that Jaune had not ever fathomed were performed for all to see.

Their guide snickered at the shocked look on Jaune's and Tattletale's faces.

"Would you prefer we stop here for a while? Normally, there is an additional charge, but I'm sure you two would be so popular that another patron will cover the cost in a heartbeat."

An overwhelmed Tattletale shook her head. "Nope. Nuh-uh." She ducked behind Jaune. "I'm fine staying outside of it. Jaune, let's go."

Verity glanced at him, and he shrugged.

"So the lady says."

This was way too high level for him, in any case. Like, he could not even guess at a name for what was happening over by that one corner. They appeared to be…imitating the spinning blades on a helicopter? Did helicopters exist yet in this universe? Tattletale had the right of it. Nope. Nuh-uh. Count him out.

Verity giggled, and said to Tattletale, "Don't worry, I understand you completely. I wouldn't want his eyes wandering too far from me, either. Two or three of the other girls, maybe. Anymore and I'd get lonely~"

Undermined by the need to maintain their cover story as an adventurous pair of lovers who did want to bring in a few paramours, Tattletale's vehement protests fell on deaf ears as Verity ushered them up another staircase. The woman took the opportunity to return Jaune's hand to her breasts, inviting him to thoroughly explore the expanse of soft flesh. Her moans set his blood afire, and he nearly missed the topmost step as they arrived at the new floor, which took the form of a mezzanine balcony wrapping around the interior of the rotunda. An entire section of the outer wall had been removed to grant the floor natural lighting, with an open air view of the city and river; a cool breeze flowed in to rustle the foliage.

This area exhibited a calmer, quieter mood. People were not as frantic, often conversing in leisure, casually disregarding their various states of undress. The space at the center allowed spectators, drinks in hand, to watch the orgy below during the lulls between their own carnal activities. At regular intervals along the wall, doors led off to private rooms, each bearing a title on a sign. Jaune spied one labeled 'Gold Room'.

Heavily turned on, Verity hurried them inside before shutting the doors and, unable to wait another second, the courtesan fell into Jaune's arms.

With a sleep dart stuck to her back.

Jaune looked beyond her to the culprit. "Oh, come on! You couldn't wait, Tattletale?"

"It was necessary for the mission. You should thank me for the initiatives I'm taking." She avoided his eyes, and her voice spoke in monotone.

"You know, with how skittish you're acting about sex, I would almost swear that you have even less experience than me."

Her silence told him the truth. He froze, then barked out a laugh. "And you had the gall to make fun of me for it, Ms. Virgin!"

"Shut uuuup! This is new for me, okay? Let's see you get a deductive superpower, and watch what it does to your love life. You would have puked on that girl when she first touched you."

Jaune opened his mouth to retort. Tattletale cut him off.

"Your power might then describe to you in detail how much she liked it, and that she wants to return the favor."

Jaune closed his mouth, and shuddered in disgust.

As Tattletale stormed off to dispose of the dart by throwing it off the private balcony, Jaune hauled Verity over to the bed. He laid her down, and drew the covers up.

"Should we leave some money?"

"Do it. I don't need superpowers to tell us that the fifty gold will go straight into the old biddy's pocket. This girl's livelihood is whatever she can earn in these rooms."

Jaune dropped a stack of coins on the nightstand. After Tattletale reminded him of the chaos that would probably visit this place in the next few days if they accomplish their objectives, he plonked down the last of their money pouches. Hopefully, it would let the courtesan tide over the coming lapse in business.

The doors to the Gold Room cracked open. Two pairs of eyes peeped out. The coast wasn't clear, people were around, but nobody paid actual notice to things outside of their little bubble unless it's wildly erotic. Two patrons, still clothed, should be boring enough to pass under the radar.

Jaune and Tattletale slipped out onto the main area, and began traveling along the wall on a path that would allow them to pass the other private parlors. At each one, they tested the handle to see if any unlocks. The plan was not particularly discreet, though at the same time the worst reaction they've garnered were indulgent chuckles from patrons who thought them a couple of voyeurs. Par for the course, in the Golden Cat.

They struck gold at the Smoke Room, for while they cannot open the door, pressing their ears to its surface lets them eavesdrop. A phrase recurred often in the conversation they heard, used to address one of the occupants. 'Lord Pendleton'.

"Let's nab him!" Tattletale suggested.

He considered the scenario. The room contained at least four people. In the event the pair effected an ambush, it'd get loud in short order. They might subdue one, maybe two, before the rest raised the alarm.

"Leave him alone. If we have trouble finding his brother or Emily, we can come back and risk it. Otherwise, we'll tell Corvo when we see him to let the professional handle the matter."

Sneaking away, they descended the stairs to repeat the same process on the first floor. To provide another layer of subterfuge, he snagged a glass of some fizzy, alcoholic drink that he wasn't familiar with off a serving tray and used it as a prop to appear casual, providing a cover for Tattletale to hide behind as she poked her head inside the various side rooms.

She discovered something in the Silver Room, but she refused to talk about it, and he wasn't sure he wanted to know given how fast she vacated that area. The Ivory Room, on the other hand…

"Tattletale, I think that's enough."

"Nnn."

"Unless he's hiding under the bed, the other Pendleton brother isn't in there."

Her hitched breaths was all that answered him, the girl captivated by the scene within the Ivory Room to the point that a glimpse had stretched on to become twenty or so seconds of her fidgeting in place. The situation resembled their alibi, two women and a man together on a bed, and rather than the animalistic rutting one would find out here, their acts ran softer, sweeter. It slipped past her guard, and didn't shock her budding interest in sex back into a shell of denial. The result was a flushed, trembling Tattletale unsure of what to do.

When words failed to work, Jaune grabbed her shoulder and gave her a light shake.

She was still out of it when she looked up at him, dazed eyes blinking once, twice. As her senses returned, the half-lidded gaze transformed to a mortified expression.

"...Bye." She spun on her heels, and attempted to bolt out of the brothel. Jaune hooked an arm around her waist to reel her back.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, it's cool. I understand."

"I would really rather that you don't, so erase that memory!"

Jaune laughed. "That's just the embarrassment talking. Nobody minds that you're a little perverted."

"Don't say it like that! I was only curious, that's all!"

"And it's natural to be curious, there is nothing to be ashamed of." With effort, Jaune schooled his face into a seemingly kind smile. "Look, there comes a time in everyone's life when they start to feel these urges—"

Tattletale was ready to run again, but paused as realization dawned. She scrutinized him with suspicion.

"You're screwing with me, aren't you?"

"No, you shot the prostitute before you and I could work up to that."

The corner of her lips twitched. Tattletale tried for a comeback; it died in her throat and a snicker slipped out unbidden. Biting down on her cheek, she shook in place as she suppressed the laughter that threatened to burst forth. Jaune waited for her mirth to subside.

Once she had regained control of herself, Tattletale pointed at him.

"We never mention this again."

A nod. "Except when it's funny."

She glared at him without heat, and hip-checked him in passing as she made for the rotunda's exit. Jaune hurried to match her pace.

"Hey, wait! There's a steam bath on the lower level. Aren't we going to take a look?"

They stopped, turning to examine the entrance to the Steam Room located near the central area. It had a towel rack and baskets with which to store clothes. Oh, and a massive orgy blocking the path to it.

"Nevermind. "

"Good call."

Reentering the hallway, they walked at a sedate speed, taking the time to study the situation. A few guards and courtesans still populated the space. By this point, only a single one held to a semblance of professionality. A group of employees were doing their best to change that, making a game of it to the amusement of the man's colleagues, who placed bets or shouted advice—mainly that he should stop handling his sword, and start handling his 'sword'.

Jaune felt a tug on his sleeve, and sent Tattletale a questioning look. She indicated a door on the far side of the hall, labeled 'Personnel Only'. He glanced again at the scene of merriment, noting who might have the door in their field of vision. A plan formed when he saw a divan set in the corner adjacent to the entry, half-hidden behind an ornamental folding screen. He led Tattletale to it, and invited her to sit down.

Then, Jaune grabbed the screen, and shifted it on an angle to better block the corner from sight.

"Did anyone notice that?" he asked.

"One woman did. She's saying something to the person next to her…" Tattletale chanced to switch on her power, and continued observing. "She's smirking. Thinks we're going to, um, you know. They don't care much. Seen it before. Joined in before—" Her nose scrunched and, with a struggle, she cut off that train of thought, closing her eyes.

"Bad?"

"They changed the couch. I didn't get what exactly happened here, but they already changed the couch, so it's fine. We don't need to burn this dress afterward."

"Keep thinking happy thoughts, Tattletale."

Jaune waited there behind the screen for confirmation that everybody had forgotten them. After that came a series of incremental movements, relocating the screen further and further to the side until it obscured the employee door. Tattletale was the first inside, ready with a number of believable excuses ("Ohoho, guide me to the powder room, peon.") should she meet a person there. Jaune followed on her heels, and closed the door behind themselves.

This side of the entryway put them on a staircase landing, one that stood in stark contrast to the luxurious atmosphere they just left. An old, stained carpet laid on a scuffed floor. The plaster on the walls was falling off, and pieces of broken furniture were stuffed in a corner for later disposal. Water dripped from leaking pipes. There were no decorative plants to spruce up the place, nor signs of casual life. Behind the fantasy of the Golden Cat existed a drab, mundane house of little note.

Opposite them laid a partially opened door. It's in better shape than the rest of the area. A mailbox rested beside it, with a chair in case anyone needed to sit as they wait.

Tattletale put the clues together.

"The madame's office." She tilted her head. "It's occupied."

Neither needed to say a word. Together, they crept up alongside the door, peering in.

The office followed the trend of dim lights and barebone features, though improved by the framed portraits of—presumably—previous madames hanging on the walls. Someone had dropped a table, a chair, and a cabinet into the center and called it a day. Markings of furniture long since removed spoke of better days gone. Madame Prudence was standing by the table, hunched over a book.

"Writing in a ledger. Muttering. Muttering names…and checking the map on the wall. She's recording who's in what room." Tattletale flashed a predatory grin, all teeth bared. "Wait for her to finish. The moment she's done, we get her."

"Right!" Jaune acknowledged.

They did not have to wait for long. Minutes later, the madame completed the last stroke of a name and laid down her fountain pen. Jaune took that as his cue. His vision narrowed to a point, and his arm came up. A finger snap, and the sleeve of his overcoat whipped in the air as a sleep dart launched from the wristbow beneath. His aim was true, and the dart stabbed into the shoulder of Madame Prudence.

The concoction affected her at once, and she lost control of her facial expressions, a yelp fading to a slurring yawn, with her limbs loosening. Jaune rushed forward, seizing her before she hit the floor. He tossed her into the chair.

A stroke of inspiration prompted him to rearrange her form. Arms crossed on the desk surface, head went on top, pushed the chair in, and…voilà.

Anybody stopping by here in the next few hours would see a woman napping.

Skipping back to Tattletale, Jaune raised his hand above her. "High-five! We did good!"

Tattletale's palm met her forehead instead of his hand.

"You weren't supposed to knock her out!"

Jaune stumbled to a halt. "Say what?"

"I said to get her—"

"Yeah." He mimed aiming the wristbow. "Fwip. Got her."

"—as in capturing her, to ply her for information on Emily's whereabouts."

Ahhhh. Jaune looked at Tattletale, then at the unconscious woman who certainly won't be waking up for the rest of the afternoon, then at Tattletale once more.

Stumped on how to fix his mistake, he dithered, scratching his cheek in the awkward silence. When no solution presented itself, his gaze fell to the floor in shame. If it was possible for a gloomy rain cloud to appear over him, it would have.

"That was my bad. Sorry, Tattletale."

The speech that Tattletale was building up to deflated to nothing, her annoyed posture slackening.

"No, it's…communication issues. Stuff like that happens." She waved a hand dismissively. "We'll work on it in the future. For now, let's check around for clues." She made a beeline for the ledger. " *whisper*...like a fucking puppy, I swear…*whisper* "

While Tattletale perused the records, Jaune searched the madame's pockets, finding a key. He moved on to the cabinet, which held a number of knick-knacks irrelevant to their purposes. Scanning the room, his gaze alighted on a stack of papers.

Tattletale beat him to it. She flipped through the stack, skimming at a feverish speed until she snatched one out of the pile.

"Yes! I'm amazing!" She spun the piece of paper around and pushed it at his face. "Jaune, I got it. The princess is being kept in the dormitories, somewhere above us. Prudence carries a master key for all the doors on her—" She saw the key he was holding. "That's the one!" Tattletale raised her hand for a high-five, and he slapped it on instinct.

"Do you have the location of the other Pendleton brother?"

"I do. Turns out he was in the steam baths. Room Two."

And that was three for three on where to find every objective of their mission.

"We head upward, first," he decided. "See what rooms this key opens. One of them will have Emily Kaldwin."

Leaving the office, Jaune was careful to shut the door, and since he now had the master key, secured it for good measure. The next level up held one such locked entryway. No sounds came from within, however, and on gaining access revealed an empty bedroom. The madame's if he had to guess. Better furnished than the office, if still shabby compared to the furniture used on the brothel side.

For the sake of thoroughness, Jaune checked the nooks and crannies, like under the bed.

"Nothing."

"Something~"

Jaune turned towards the other corner of the room, seeing a happy Tattletale showing off a couple of orbs half the size of her fists. Behind her, a chest with its lid unlatched.

"Lookie. Pearls."

"They're not yours."

"They shouldn't be Prudence's either," Tattletale countered. "Reason one, she's holding a child captive. Two, she mistreats her employees. Three, she forces them to give her their pay. Four, these are the crimes I've discovered so far. Is it really stealing if we take from a person like that? I call it justice. Justice!"

"Why not give those pearls to the employees, then?"

The grin flickered. "Do not. It'd only need one person to squeal and whoever we hand this to will become reason number five."

Jaune searched her face for a hint of that being a joke. There were none.

"...Alright."

Tattletale fist-pumped in victory. "Hell yeah! Now grab that bone charm from the mantelpiece, if you don't mind."

Give an inch and take a mile, this girl.

He walked to the fireplace, and sure enough there was a small talisman of similar design to the one tucked under his shirt. Greed bubbled up in his chest. They were connected in some way with the Void. Activated by its presence, which he now carried wherever he went. Without thinking, Jaune reached out, then hesitated and looked at Tattletale again. She offered encouraging gestures, smiling bright.

Oh, what the hell. He plucked the charm from its resting place, to much applause from the peanut gallery. The moment his hand touched it, an icy chill rushed up his arm as another boon took hold. Jaune checked the Company Scroll for an explanation.

Bone Charm
Universe: Dishonored
Harmless superstition, or foul witchery? Good luck charm, or the conduit to a place Outside?
That's not up to you to decide.
Under certain circumstances, this accessory is capable of granting esoteric abilities.
Effect:
Strong Arms - slight increase in strength, limited to the arms, from shoulder to fingertips.

Very
useful, despite the vagueness. He'd have to test what a 'slight increase' translated to in terms of performance later on.

"From your ecstatic face, I'm guessing it's a good result?"

"Yup, and easier to understand than the previous one, too." Jaune stowed the charm with the other accessory, and swept his gaze over the bedroom. "Still no princess to be found, though. Next floor?"

"Let's."

A return to the stairs, a last flight of steps, and they were standing on the topmost level. The worst part of the brothel that they have seen by far.

The peek Jaune got inside the empty dormitory delivered a sobering view into the life of a Golden Cat prostitute. It was no glamorous thing. The outfit she wore for work may be the fanciest thing she owned.

The women lived dozens to a room. What personal possessions they owned laid under their beds, or next to ratty, old mattresses spread on the floor. Narrow windows, drafty and caked in grime, were the sole sources of light.

"Jaune, over here," Tattletale called from up ahead. She was crouched at a closed door, trying to catch a glimpse of the interior through a keyhole. Jaune padded over with the key.

Creeeeak.

The door swung open on rusty hinges. Most of the space was bare. Incongruously, rich curtains in red covered the far wall. A keen eye would spot the nails securing them to block the window. In lieu of it, Candlelight provided illumination.

A corner of the room had been partitioned off by assorted pieces of random furniture. A mattress, a child's drawings, a pair of shoes…the shoes moved. They twitched, then pulled behind an upended coffee table. After a couple of seconds, a head poked above it.

"Who are you people?" the girl asked in a wary tone.

Short, dark hair. Young age. A certain Corvo-like demeanor that said she would not hesitate to attack if they failed to give her a satisfactory answer.

Quite possibly, Emily Kaldwin.

Tattletale's widening grin confirmed it. "We're your rescuers, princess. Say hello, Jaune."

Jaune showed a friendly smile to the kid, and threw a sloppy salute.

"Emily, right? We were hired by Corvo to take you out of this place."

The name did the trick. She brightened with a hopeful look, and scrambled out from cover to rush at them.

"Corvo—he's alive!? Is he here? They said he was dead—in the prison, with an ax—I knew they were lying!" Her voice rose in volume as she stammered on and on, head darting over their shoulders as if she would spot Corvo walking in any second now.

Jaune took a knee to match their eye levels, and did his best to calm her down before somebody heard. Meanwhile, Tattletale explained.

"He had to take a different route, but he was so worried about you that he sent us ahead." She extended a hand to pat the younger girl on the head, sweetly chirping, "You'll get to see him soon."

Smack.

Tattletale held her slapped hand, staring blankly in shock as Emily withdrew out of her reach, behind Jaune.

"I'm not dumb. People always use that voice when they want to lie to me. I don't trust you."

"Oh, ho. Hoho." Tattletale narrowed her eyes. "How precious."

"Don't go fighting a girl younger than you, Tattletale," Jaune cautioned. "She didn't mean it. And Emily, I can assure you that my friend here means well. She's bad at expressing her kind side, but she's a good person." He thought about what he said, and amended. "Maybe…some of the time…on a rare occasion."

Tattletale whined, "Boo! Whose side are you on?"

"But am I wrong, though?"

Emily giggled as Tattletale fell silent. The latter winked at Jaune from an angle the girl could not see.

The laughter soon ended, and Emily pulled on Jaune's shirt to get his attention.

"Is Corvo really coming?"

"Definitely, and you know what? I'll go get him." He dropped a hand on her head, and ruffled her hair—Tattletale growled when he didn't earn a slap from the princess for that. On her part, Emily showed a displeased face at the prospect of staying behind with Tattletale for company, and had to be dissuaded on the idea of moving as a group through the main brothel area. She understood the reason, at least, and as he left, the two of them were setting to the task of tearing a strip off the curtains for use as a hood that would conceal her face.

The last he heard upon leaving earshot was Emily asking "Why does he call you a tattletale?"

He remained undiscovered as he descended the staircase. Back on the level he entered from, he checked in on the madame's office to ensure nobody had unlocked the door in his absence, before returning to the ritzier section of the brothel.

It did not hold the same allure as the first go-round, not after his tour of the underside hidden behind the walls. There may have been a truth to the fantasy once, as seen in the gallery of past stars taking pride of place, but no longer.

He charted a wandering course, staying on the periphery while flitting between the floors with catlike, ninja grace.

"Oh, my. Are you alone? Let me keep you company, milord~"

"That's okay, miss. I'm just passing by."

Catlike, ninja grace.

"Hello, handsome. Fancy a tumble with me?"

"And with her twin?"

"And us, too?"

"N-no. I'm fine. Got my own appointment waiting and everything."

Catlike, ninja grace.

"Could you help the two of us settle a little debate?"

"Whose butt is better, in your opinion? My tight, plush rear or…"

"Mrphlshgurgle—*choking noises*"

…Catlike…ninja…

Oh, who was he kidding? He attracted notice wherever he roamed, fending off propositions with increasing regret. After a fruitless circuit of the rotunda, Jaune retreated—light-headed—to the divan in the corner, taking a pause to calm down, let certain things settle, and reassess his plan.

Once his mind cleared, Jaune saw the path forward. He closed his eyes, and channeled his inner Ren.

Now, if he was the cool, silent assassin type who wanted to avoid notice, where would he hide?

"He wants to return home. Less, with each new day."

Above!

He snapped his head up towards the ceiling, from whence the creepy whispers emanated, and met the gaze of a metal skull. The dark figure was crawling on an overhead ledge that encircled the hall, located near the top of the walls, meant for showcasing curios and plant pots. People hadn't realized, because people never look up.

Jaune waved. Corvo waved back.

He then pointed a thumb at the entryway, the gesture acknowledged with a nod. Sidling off the couch, he turned the doorknob, and left the hall.

Corvo was already there, leaning on the railings.

"Wha—" He whirled to look back the way he came, then spun to the man. "How did you get here before me? The door was shut!"

Infuriatingly, the man just shrugged his shoulders.

Perhaps his teleportation functioned without line of sight. Still, the maneuver would have involved phasing to an unknown location and a posture change from horizontal to vertical in an instant. The first was a risk, the second defied logic. Something else was at work.

"Heh. If this was a fantasy novel, I would have thought you were a timestopper."

Corvo froze at the off-hand comment.

…No frigging way. This guy was playing around with space and time, while Jaune got from the Outsider the equivalent of those telescopic pointer sticks that university professors use?

Seeeeethe.

It must have shown on his face, because Corvo coughed, and deliberately changed the subject.

"How have you fared? I do not see your companion with you. Is she unharmed?"

"Yeah, she's fine," Jaune shook off his envy, and flashed a victory sign. "Better yet, she is with Emily up top. Follow—" In the space of a blink, Corvo vanished— "me. Well, alright then."

He retraced the path to the dormitories and heard the reunion before he saw it. In the princess's former prison two people laughed their hearts out. Corvo, unmasked, swung Emily around in his arms, an uncharacteristic grin on his face as the girl whooped in delight. Tattletale stood to the side to give them space.

He sidled over to her, nudging her on the side.

"Heartwarming, isn't it?"

She squeed under her breath. "We did it, we are soooo getting paid!"

Of course. Don't know what he expected. Then again, was that her only thoughts on the matter, or a mask she wore? He leaned down, studying her closely.

"Stop looking at meeee!"

Proving that he had heard them, Corvo said, "Yes, you will be paid handsomely for what you have done today. Thank you, truly."

"No big deal," Jaune replied. "Happy to help."

He played cool, but internally? Shit, hearing such honest gratitude felt amazing.

Tattletale cut in. "You gotta remember the bonus too, 'kay? We've located the Pendleton brothers. Custis is in the Smoking Room on the third floor, and Morgan can be found in room Two of the steam baths for another hour or so."

"That…that is impressive. I had worried the detour I took would result in my failure, but you've accomplished more than I can imagine in your time here."

"And?"

He chuckled. "And, yes, I will ensure you get your bonus."

The man's good mood then slowly faded, leaving a troubled expression. He seemed to be having difficulty finding the words, and his grip tightened on Emily.

The assassin faced a choice. Staying with his (secret) daughter, or completing the mission. She solved the dilemma for him.

"I can leave first, um, with them?" Emily pointed at the pair of Jaune and Tattletale. "I know where there's a special door to come and go, for very important people! I almost escaped through it twice! They can lead me out, while you take care of those horrible brothers?"

"Are you certain this is what you want?" Corvo asked, hesitant.

She rapidly nodded. "Those men were awful, and absolutely mean to me!"

Jaune took a big step back from Corvo, as did Tattletale. They did not envy the two Pendletons at the moment. The look on the assassin promised death, or worse.

"I understand, Emily." Corvo put her down. "Your plan has merit—that is," he turned his gaze on the two otherworld travelers, "if you are amenable to this arrangement."

"We do need to leave the building," answered Tattletale first, with Jaune following up.

"And we're headed to the same boat anyway." The man appeared to still have reservations on leaving his daughter, and so Jaune continued. "Nothing around here can stop me, you know that. You go do your job, I'll get her to safety."

He gripped Jaune by the arm, and leveled an intent scowl at him. "Do you swear?"

The answer came easy.

"Sure. Promise, man."

Corvo continued to match his gaze, searching for signs of deceit. Until, he gave a firm nod, and moved to Emily to bid her a temporary farewell. Then, he was gone, slipping around the corner as a shadow.

Left behind, the little princess did not remain idle. She grabbed Jaune by the hand and pulled him along towards the stairs, running down it with Tattletale on their heels. They breezed past the main office unchallenged, tip-toed at the ground floor landing to not alert the courtesans in the lobby, then continued below that to a basement level that hosted a simple metal door. Above it, a signboard engraved with the words 'V.I.P. Exit'.

"Pretty clear that this is it. I'll take point, and check for guards. Tattletale, watch our tail, and Emily can stay between the two of us." He grasped the door handle.

"He promised. That means something."

He jolted, twisting to peer at their surroundings, and at the higher floor. Was that a glint of steel in the darkest corner?

"Jaune, what's up?"

"...Nothing, Tattletale. Must have been hearing things."

Lucky for them, the space beyond the door was devoid of other people. It also ill suited the pretentious name given by the Golden Cat's management. The business didn't exactly roll out the red carpet for guests using the route. The room was just a loading area for supplies that happened to lead out the back of the building. VIP entrance, indeed.

They crossed the space, and the master key perfectly fitted the lock to the exit at the far side, depositing them into a long tunnel. There were people populating the vicinity, though their ragged clothes and the indications of meals and makeshift beds in the passageway marked them as those that have gravitated to this place after losing their homes, and unaffiliated to the Golden Cat.

Their group garnered some glances for their manner of dress as they walked down the tunnel, and the inhabitants made sure to maintain a wide berth from them. The wariness spoke of harsh experiences with the patrons employing the brothel's back entrance.

The gradual brightening of the passage let them know when they were close to its terminus, and Emily picked up her pace, though Jaune matched her easily with his strides. They spied the end of the alley after brushing past a strange elderly woman—who insisted on taking whiffs of him for unstated reasons, muttering something about dark eyes—and the girl broke into a run on the last stretch.

And then, the trio were outside, standing on the curb of a main thoroughfare, in a part of the city that has retained a bit of life. Nowhere fancy, its pedestrians were of the working sort. Shops yet kept their doors open for business, and personal vehicles traveled on the rails installed in the street. Nobody recognized the little girl wearing a red hood over her head looking up at the sky.

"Sniff, sniff."

Jaune and Tattletale both blinked, then peered down at the princess.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" he asked, worried, though he needn't be.

The glimpse of her face under the red hood was not of pain, but joy.

"I-I finally did it." Another sniffle. "It's been so long. Months, you know?"

Jaune did his best to not cry himself. Tattletale had no such qualms, wiping a teardrop from her eye.

"Yeah…yeah, I get it, Emily."

The streets were dirty. The air smelled of smoke. The city's in turmoil, and trouble lay on the horizon.

But the sky sure was blue.

Author's Notes:
One of Tattletale's bad habits is coming out. "Just a little crime is okay", "it doesn't really hurt anyone", "think of it like a game of cops and robbers". It didn't end well when the shoulder devil did it in Worm canon.

I've taken a few liberties. You're not going to see an orgy if you play the game, because Bethesda and other studios aren't crazy enough to make a AAA, XXX game for mass consumption, what with rules set down by Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/etc. There are also hardware limitations in what they can reasonably program at the time. They
do, however, choose to suggest things in the details. In-game, strewn haphazardly about the public areas of Golden Cat are discarded clothes, both male and female, to show what activities might take place in the building.

Last edited:
Unless, she's right?

He's already doing better than Taylor :D
Jaune mouthed 'no'. Tattletale mouthed 'yes'.
... I have a feeling this will be a reoccurring situation.
"You know, with how skittish you're acting about sex, I would almost swear that you have even less experience than me."

Her silence told him the truth. He froze, then barked out a laugh. "And you had the gall to make fun of me for it, Ms. Virgin!"
Heh.
With her Irene Adler shtick it's hard to remember that she triggered at the same age Taylor did.
Effect:
Strong Arms - slight increase in strength, limited to the arms, from shoulder to fingertips.

Very
useful, despite the vagueness. He'd have to test what a 'slight increase' translated to in terms of performance later on.
You probably get more of a strength boost out of aura than you ever would out of this but I wonder if it combines with Far Reach?
"Oh, ho. Hoho." Tattletale narrowed her eyes. "How precious."

"Don't go fighting a girl younger than you, Tattletale," Jaune cautioned.
"I can throw down with a ten year old!"
…No frigging way. This guy was playing around with space and time, while Jaune got from the Outsider the equivalent of those telescopic pointer sticks that university professors use?
You know you could just ask him how he does it. Maybe it's a literal skill issue? Do you unlock new abilities in the game or are you stuck with the same set? Maybe Jaune did get ripped off?
"Jaune, what's up?"

"...Nothing, Tattletale. Must have been hearing things."
Ffs just tell her.
I'm slightly surprised he doesn't seem to be making the connection between the creepy Narrator and the creepy eldritch abomination he made a deal with.
They spied the end of the alley after brushing past a strange elderly woman—who insisted on taking whiffs of him for unstated reasons, muttering something about dark eyes
Is this a canon character?
Just a random perv or someone who can sense the touch of Outsider on people?

In any case this was a great chapter. I'm liking our kleptomaniac duo's chemistry even more.

edit: It just struck me that now Jaune too has a superpower granted by an eldritch abomination. One more thing our Protagonists have in common ;)

Last edited:
There was a problem with her rationale. He cannot put into adequate words what that problem was, but it existed. It must. What kind of morality system applies different judgments to an act based on a person's wealth? Unless, she's right?

Jaune is already doing better than Tay, so proud of him!

Stumped on how to fix his mistake, he dithered, scratching his cheek in the awkward silence. When no solution presented itself, his gaze fell to the floor in shame. If it was possible for a gloomy rain cloud to appear over him, it would have

"No, it's…communication issues. Stuff like that happens." She waved a hand dismissively. "We'll work on it in the future. For now, let's check around for clues." She made a beeline for the ledger. " *whisper*...like a fucking puppy, I swear…*whisper* "

This is how he gets you Brattletale, you can't resist the dumb loyal puppy energy he radiates.

His most dangerous weapon, one might say.

I am pretty sure it is Vera Moray? She's a crazy old lady that practices black magic and was also blessed by the Outsider.

She's blind and, it bears repeating, slightly unhinged.

EDIT : She also, SPOILER ALERT, gives you a series of sidequests which end with her kidnapping someone to cook into a stew, at which point you can either fight her and learn she has powers like Corvo does, or help her cook the lad.

Great Chapter once again!

Last edited:
Question for LAM: how do you pick jump destinations?
Do you roll a dice every time or do you have their itinerary all mapped out?

Oh! I forgot to comment on this but L33T's roaring rampage of revenge scene... Even if it ultimately didn't amount to anything it was still pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Juane, continue growing as a hero (and accept the fact that you are a guy with functional junk)! Good chapter, though I hope the next world is brighter tone wise (I like the story, just generally prefer lighter hearted stuff).
Thanks for reading! It all depends on the world the characters find themselves in, and the brighter worlds will have a chirpier mood, though I must admit a certain fondness for those melancholic 'the world is sad, but you and I will make our own happiness' scenes whenever I see them.

You know you could just ask him how he does it. Maybe it's a literal skill issue? Do you unlock new abilities in the game or are you stuck with the same set? Maybe Jaune did get ripped off?

I'm slightly surprised he doesn't seem to be making the connection between the creepy Narrator and the creepy eldritch abomination he made a deal with.

He did ask in that scene...and Corvo acted cagey about it. Mr. Batman likes to keep his secrets in case he needs it as an ace, just like Jaune didn't reveal everything about Aura to the guy that attacked him on the first meeting.
The beating heart making whispery noises that nobody else but him seems able to see is the problem, pushing the situation firmly into 'I'm going insane' territory.
And yes! As Coda1000 said, it's Vera Moray. Important to Corvo's story, less so for Jaune, so she's just incidental to the scene.

Jaune is already doing better than Tay, so proud of him!
Tattletale still got him to steal the bone charm. She's working that angle, slowly and surely :sneaky:

Question for LAM: how do you pick jump destinations?
Do you roll a dice every time or do you have their itinerary all mapped out?
I have a list of possible places. No map.
To pick, I ask questions. Does the characters' thought processes lead to them agreeing to go there at this time? What can they accomplish in that world? What impact can they make, and can that impact still form a story worth writing? And so on.

He did ask in that scene...and Corvo acted cagey about it. Mr. Batman likes to keep his secrets in case he needs it as an ace, just like Jaune didn't reveal everything about Aura to the guy that attacked him on the first meeting.
Maybe he would be more comfortable with equivalent exchange? Jaune could offer to awaken his (or Emily's) aura in exchange for Corvo teaching how to use his Mark to mess with time and space?

This was a great chapter.
Jaune and Tatletales reaction to the brothel was hilarious.
On a side note Jaune is surprisingly good at defusing others powers.

Edit: I meant deducing instead of defusing.

Last edited:
Betting it now, Lisa is gonna shag Jaune when he leasts expects it. Her reaction to what could possibly be ideas of a threesome with Jaune wasn't disgust but embarrassment and near the end, she quiet possibly entertained the idea before going back to denial/suppression.

She bottles anymore of that tension up and poor Jaune's next jumptrip is Cloud 9 for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back