• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Sorcery! Quest

iamnuff said:
the hell are you talking about?

whos voting to lie?

edit: i'm an idiot.

misread the last half of nick's vote.

then again, he might be right.

depending on how closely this world mirrors our own world.... "our" purple might actually be in the same situation.
Wait, our Purple isn't?

nick012000 said:
Wait, our Purple isn't?
Not really?
Or rather we have no indication that she would be and the fact that we caused quite a lot of butterflies makes it rather unlikely that these events are happening in our verse as well.
Not to mention that the fact that Blood looks different here is a pretty big hint that these two continuities diverged a decent amount of time ago.

Pipeman said:
Not really?
Or rather we have no indication that she would be and the fact that we caused quite a lot of butterflies makes it rather unlikely that these events are happening in our verse as well.
Not to mention that the fact that Blood looks different here is a pretty big hint that these two continuities diverged a decent amount of time ago.
I thought the entire reason we started walking in the first place was because she was, and we were trying to get to her to rescue her?

[X] Tell him you're from another universe, and you were trying to rescue your universe's version of her but wound up here by accident instead, but you need to go home to rescue your version of her before her captor can harm her further.
-[X] Then Walk home.

nick012000 said:
I thought the entire reason we started walking in the first place was because she was, and we were trying to get to her to rescue her?

If by 'Thought she was in trouble' you mean 'Were bored and decided to see if we could sneak out and visit her', then yes- You have summed up our character's thought process admirably.

Vindictus said:
If by 'Thought she was in trouble' you mean 'Were bored and decided to see if we could sneak out and visit her', then yes- You have summed up our character's thought process admirably.
It's not even that.
We were experimenring with Walking and were randomly overcome with the urge to see her.
We weren't even planning on visiting her, it just turned out that way.

Pipeman said:
It's not even that.
We were experimenring with Walking and were randomly overcome with the urge to see her.
We weren't even planning on visiting her, it just turned out that way.

isn't that exactly the same thing?

experementing with WALKING and decided on her as a destination on a whim?

sure, she might have psychically contacted us, but I doubt it.

still, checking up on her after we head back to that Plane would be a good idea, (and fairly in-character)

iamnuff said:
isn't that exactly the same thing?

experementing with WALKING and decided on her as a destination on a whim?

sure, she might have psychically contacted us, but I doubt it.

still, checking up on her after we head back to that Plane would be a good idea, (and fairly in-character)
I guess I was a bit unclear there.
What I meant to say is that we didn't even decide to sneak out and check on Purple.
It just sort of happened.

Pipeman said:
I guess I was a bit unclear there.
What I meant to say is that we didn't even decide to sneak out and check on Purple.
It just sort of happened.

well, we decided to sneak out, but just picked the destination on a whim.

iamnuff said:
well, we decided to sneak out, but just picked the destination on a whim.
We didn't decide to sneak out.
We just decided to experimented with the pattern and nothing else.
We didn't even know the pattern would allow us to leave before we did that.

On the fourth week, you settle down and begin meditating on the pattern, seeking some insight into its purpose…

You get nothing. Sure, you can remember, every crack and curve, every beautiful flaw in its otherwise immaculate design. It just… sits there. In your mind. Doing nothing.

You're not a quitter. You sit there for three days, doing nothing but thinking, trying to wait it out. Blood looks in on you're a few times, but seems largely content that you are not bothering him. On the fourth day you get up and begin pacing, the image of the Broken Road still at the forefront of your mind.

… And you feel something shift around you. It's subtle and you can't quite quantify what it means but… It was real. Excitement builds and you keep the pattern in the forefront of your mind as you take a deep breath, setting one foot in front of the other paying close attention to your surroundings.
For some reason, you think of Purple and the urge to visit her rises in you.

The Truth Will (Not) Set You Free​

You shrug. It's not like you have anything to hide. "This might be hard to believe," you start slowly, still getting used to this new language, filling in the words you do not know with infernal substitutes. "But I am a… stranger from another plane. I can walk between planes, but I am… new to it. I was trying to walk to see my friend and… accidentally found a different version of her. She was hurt. I called you to help then freed her." You think over your statement, and then nod in satisfaction.

Blood seems less than impressed. "And the corpse?" he asks, gesturing toward the remains of Purple's captor.

"He did not wish me to free her," you reply with another shrug.

Blood's eyes narrow, regarding you with some suspicion. "I think you're going to have to stick around until we get this cleared up."

"There is nothing to 'clear up,'" you protest, stamping your foot once. "I have told you what happened. I have done nothing wrong."

"You burned a man alive," Blood pointed out dryly. "In this day and age, people frown on things like that."

"They may frown all they wish," you say heatedly, beginning to stumble on the words, relying more on infernal as your temper flares. "He was a foul, wretched little man and the world is a better place for his death. Do you disagree?"

"It's not that simple-"

"It is," you insist.

"No," Blood says, and you hear a twinge of regret in his voice. "Maybe it was once, but no longer."

You glower at the man and he stares resolutely back at you.

"Well? Are you going to come with me willingly or do I have to make you? I've called someone to pick up Spoiler, if that's what you're worried about."

Spoiler? How many names does Purple have, anyway?

No, not important right now.

What's your answer?
[X] "No." Walk away. (Where?)
[X] "No!" Fight! Yes, he is a powerful mage, but you've only seen him use ritual magic. In a straight fight, you have the advantage. (Tactics? Defaults to burn!)
[X] "… Fine." You can't leave Purple with this imbecile, and while you could totally take him in a fight, you won't risk hurting Purple. Go along with this injustice for now.
[X] Write in.

Note: Found in the room with a smouldering corpse and an obviously tortured sidekick. No actual diplomacy skills. Recipe for fun times.

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] "… Fine, a fight would put her in danger anyway." You can't leave Purple with this imbecile, and while you could totally take him in a fight, you won't risk hurting Purple. Go along with this injustice for now.

[X] "… Fine." You can't leave Purple with this imbecile, and while you could totally take him in a fight, you won't risk hurting Purple. Go along with this injustice for now.
Disminded said:
Note: Found in the room with a smouldering corpse and an obviously tortured sidekick. No actual diplomacy skills. Recipe for fun times.

Fun is fun!

[X] "No." Walk away. (Back to our Blood's mansion.)

I don't see much reason to stay here and, if we stick around for much longer, he might just prevent us from walking somehow.

frankly, the very fact that we actually called him for help should prove that we are innocent.

after all, why the fuck would we call someone to show up and rescue our own victim?]

he's not thinking this through.

that said, he's probably going to no-sell our walk, but we don't know that IC, so its fine.

[X] "… Fine, a fight would put her in danger anyway." You can't leave Purple with this imbecile, and while you could totally take him in a fight, you won't risk hurting Purple. Go along with this injustice for now.

Yeah. I don't see a reason to stick around, just tell our Blood that we bumped into another version of him so if he has any anti-summoning wards he could give us we'ed appreciate it.

Yes I changed my mind on voting, we still have 1 life in hold so... and this is way to close to a tie for my taste. I mean seriously we have nothing to gain from sitting around and a lot to lose.

Home Again​

Right. You went against every instinct you have and tried to handle this in a mature, polite manner. That worked for shit. Now it's time to leave.

You consider, for a moment, staying, just to see what would happen, secure in the knowledge you could just walk away at any time… But no. You had responsibilities elsewhere, and your own Purple would be lost without you.

So you shoot Blood a sharp, mocking little smile and say "No."

You step forward and see him shift into a combat stance before-

He's gone. In the blink of an eye, you're alone in the room. No Blood, no Purple, just a thick layer of undisturbed dust.

Step.

Same room. Less dust. The scent of smoke drifts in from another room.

Step.

Graffiti covers the walls. It's written in a language you can't understand and the figures in it don't look human.

Step.

Step.

Step.

It seems like the trip back is longer. You walk for hours and the world twists around you. You remain rather indifferent to the whole affair, picking your way through a hallway full of plague victims groaning in their final throws of agony, stepping lightly over pools of blood, pausing to listen to gunshots in the distance, breathing in thick clouds of green fumes that make you giggle uncontrollably, watching as the whole city blaze with fire as titanic metal walkers strode through ruined streets…

At one point you meet a most charming individual in a hockey mask, bearing a bloody machete. He raises it to hail you, but alas you are already stepping to the next world, so you can only give him a brief smile before he vanishes.

Maybe you'd meet him again another day. Maybe not. Such is life.

Through it all, you pictured your room at Blood's house. You could feel yourself moving ever closer to it as you walked…

And then you're back in your room, smelling of burnt flesh, dress torn and hands bloody from trying to dress Purple's wounds.

Your room looks the same, except for Blood standing there surveying it in evident confusion.

Well, at least he doesn't have a sword this time.

Actions?
[X] "Your parallel universe doppelganger is a bag of dicks. Good night." And go to sleep.
[X] Sit down and calmly explain everything that's happened. It worked so well last time.
[X] Demand to see Purple. NOW! You have to make sure she's alright (No, you're not obsessive or anything…)
[X] Write-in

[x] "Your parallel universe doppelganger is a bag of dicks. Also could you check in with hero Purple is working with? I had to rescue her parallel universe doppelganger just now. Night" Go to sleep.

[X] "Your parallel universe doppelganger is a bag of dicks. Good night." And go to sleep.

We're so wonderfully blunt yet at the same time so eloquent!

[X] "Your parallel universe doppelganger is a bag of dicks. Also could you check in with hero Purple is working with? I had to rescue her parallel universe doppelganger just now. Night" Go to sleep.

[X] "Your parallel universe doppelganger is a bag of dicks. Also could you check in with hero Purple is working with? I had to rescue her parallel universe doppelganger just now. Night" Go to sleep.

Adding that part about Purple seems entirely unnecessary.
Even aside from the numerous preexisting differences between the two universes we observed (like Blood looking different, and Puple being visibly older) we have been a good little butterfly and derailed things pretty decently, so there is no pretty much no reason to believe Purple is in any more danger now than she always is, what with living the life of a super heroine and all that, and trying to check on our superhero friends at all times since they might be in danger is not a habit I want our character to get into.

Not to mention that asking about her now is not only needlessly paranoid and overly obsessive, but it is also strictly opposed to the general tone of brevity the option is going for.
We are trying to impart the bare minimum of the information we need to explaion this and want to ignore Blood otherwise.
Any additions to this are only going to make getting to sleep without him annoying us first even harder than it already is.

On an unrelated note, I found it rather hilarious how our insane constituation apparently prevents even Smylex of all things from being particularly debilitating to us.
It only got better when I realized that the limited effect it does have doesn't even really hinder our casting since "maniacal laughter could serve as a verbal component in a pinch".

vote change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back