• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Tribulations of the God-Harem King [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

[X] Accept
-[X] Ask for another party to officiate the duel, either the lord of the manor or his mother preferably.
-[X] ask why he wants to fight
-not necessarily in this order

*quickly unburrows to post*

[X] Accept

*reburrows back ontop of the other lurkers*

[X] Accept
-[X] Ask for another party to officiate the duel, either the lord of the manor or his mother preferably.

Sorry, not an update (though you can expect it tomorrow: prepare to write a Stunt for an Initiative roll). My parents were asses in more way than one. No, this post is because I have a dilemma.

It is about how Boosted Gear works in canon. You see, reading fanfic I notice there two ways authors uses to descrive it (in the style off fanfics, much more clear than original novels). I will illustrate them with mathematical formulas:

X= base power

1) (((((X*2)*2)*2)*2)*2)*2

2) (X*2) + X + X + X +X

The first is more in line with canon explanation, but the other would explain better how Issei is able to Boost like 26 times in a row.

So help me: what do you think?

P.S.: I have posted here a challenge! but I think it went unnoticed under the flux of new responses.

I prefer the first one, honestly. Boosted Gear is supposed to double it's user's power every ten seconds, right? This whole rapid boosting thing feels more like something done for the flair by the writer than anything else to me.

Mhmm, the way I've seen it, the whole 26 boost is less happening right that second *I think he only looses the 10 second limit while in BB from memory?* so much as him having been boosting silently up until then and letting it rip maybe? at least that makes a tad more sense to me, but anyway, I'd have to go with the first of the options as well myself

The first is most accurate and the second...would be almost exponential to the point that 4-5 boosts makes Issei High to Ultimate class
5x2x2x2x2x2x2x2=740
5x2x5x5x5x5x5x5= 156 250
See the problem there lol so keep at cannon double.
Edit:
Oh misread that, thought those were xs not + but still should go with the double as then it turns out wierd like this
(5x2)5+5+5+5+5+5= 300
which makes it much weaker that it should be.

Alexander said:
Sorry, not an update (though you can expect it tomorrow: prepare to write a Stunt for an Initiative roll). My parents were asses in more way than one. No, this post is because I have a dilemma.

It is about how Boosted Gear works in canon. You see, reading fanfic I notice there two ways authors uses to descrive it (in the style off fanfics, much more clear than original novels). I will illustrate them with mathematical formulas:

X= base power

1) (((((X*2)*2)*2)*2)*2)*2

2) (X*2) + X + X + X +X

The first is more in line with canon explanation, but the other would explain better how Issei is able to Boost like 26 times in a row.

So help me: what do you think?

P.S.: I have posted here a challenge! but I think it went unnoticed under the flux of new responses.
The first one is how I've always read it. However the first one is also monumentally stupid.

Think about what that multiplication actually means in terms of power. In ten boosts, which IIRC was Issei's original maximum, you start with 1 and increase to 2 -> 4 -> 8 -> 16 -> 32 -> 64 -> 128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024. It only gets worse the more that Issei's base power increases, and the more boosts he can handle the higher his levels can go with each successive boost -- sooner or later it gets to the point where one more boost is all that Issei needs to go from getting curbstomped to being the guy doing the stomping.

To quote a very wise man, "Power levels are bullshit!"

It's not bullshit if it's a Longinus :p The entire point of their existence is curbstomping and killing Gods so a multiplier like that is pretty logical. Divine Dividing is even more BS since it takes that boost and adds it to the users own power,a fact that makes me wonder how any of Draigs host ever beat it.

Galeiam said:
It's not bullshit if it's a Longinus :p The entire point of their existence is curbstomping and killing Gods so a multiplier like that is pretty logical. Divine Dividing is even more BS since it takes that boost and adds it to the users own power,a fact that makes me wonder how any of Draigs host ever beat it.
You miss my point. Power levels are a representation of a person's combat strength into a numerical value. This is inherently absurd, and the higher the power levels go the more absurd things get. Issei's power doubling makes him so stupidly powerful after a while that I can't imagine Ishibumi is actually keeping track of what those numbers actually mean or where individual characters would fall on that scale or how consistent Issei's performance is compared to what numbers he's currently using. It's probably better to scrap the power-doubling feature altogether and come up with some alternative bonus.

Galeiam said:

Probably by either having more stamina, stronger base body, or some kind of special ability and/or weapon. After all if BG would allow them to regain all of that power that was taken away.

After all we know boosting uses up stamina and you can only boost as much as you can handle. Vol 5 Ise couldn't dream of being able to boost to the levels of vol 17 Ise without running out of stamina a long time ago.

Same with Divine dividing the wings are to vent the excess energy the user can't safely handle so that it doesn't overload like it did when Ise boosted them.

Nope that only applies to shounen and DBZ, this is Magical power which for devils holds more useful weight than anything else I've seen. I don't really mind the power doubling feature since it's not really a critical tangible point in the LN, honestly I never really paid much attention to it other that Rias using it as an example to express what Draig does. So Like DBZ after frieza the numbers just don't matter and it's just a straight translation into power but I feel the double feature should remain for now until he breaks out a new BS hax ability that can cover it something like....well actually...essence(as in what makes Issei, Issei) boosting.

Galeiam said:
Nope that only applies to shounen and DBZ
It applies to any setting that sticks a numerical value on a person's fighting strength. Negima pointed this out years ago with Jack Rakan's power chart and the gag about Negi being mauled by ten thousand cats. You can't do that with anything resembling accuracy, realism, or consistency.

It can be done in settings where the powerscale doesn't end up breaking any concievable power scales, it just so happens that just about ever setting with a powerscale ends up getting characters that well...break it. Ugh Dsylexia. It can be done in any setting where the powerscales used aren't being habitually broken by people so far outside the area that it ends up becoming irrelevant, it just so happens that pretty much every setting that has a numerical value for fighting prowess ends up getting it broken by obscenely high values.

honestly I do not really care for power levels and prefer the smart about who you are fighting approach. In other news Yang is insanely awesome and broken!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah..Yang is awesome and needs more screen time.

noahgab1133 said:
In other news Yang is insanely awesome and broken!
The more I get hurt. The stronger I get.

As if Yang didn't have enough reasons to be labeled the series's super saiyan.

Youkai Yakuza - Part 5
[X] Accept
----

In the past, you find yourself thinking, before your Exaltation you would have probably shy away from such a request, for you were a mere perverted boy unaccustomed with violence.

That was before you discovered, through trials and hardships, that an honest and straightforward duel, while not as enjoyable as a pair of oppai, is nothing to scoff off and instead comes only second place.

[Women and fights?] One of your sempai says. [We only need to add alcohol and money and we have a perfect stereotypical young dragon.]

[Ah ah ah.] Belzard chuckles. [It's normal for young people to think mainly about simple, baser desire. Issei is coming up nicely, so I don't see nothing wrong about him enjoying himself.]

[As long as said enjoyment doesn't violate the law. Oh oh oh!] Elsha laughs.

'What are you my freaking parents?!' Then you remember who exactly your parents usually are. 'On second thought, please go on. I don't mind.'

[Uh, this is the first time someone consider me a good role model.] Another sempai comments.

[[[You don't say?]]]

Leaving the inhabitants of your mind/soul/whatever to their affairs you focus back to the real world and rewards the black monk with an excited smirk. "I accept. I trust you have everything prepared?"

"Yes. Please follow me." With that he turns around and walks away, you following behind him.

----

"Ooh, this place is very picturesque." You comment in appreciation, your gaze wandering around the area. "What was it? A theater."

enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west_2010_05-24-10_30.jpg

(OOC: everything you see in the pic exists in the in-game scene)

"Yes." Kurotabou answers. "This place was famous during the Showa era, but fell in decline somewhen around thirty years ago."

"And became a hangout for youkai?" You ask, thinking the atmosphere fits nicely.

"Indeed it did. But..." He frowns, displeasure evident in his eyes before he shook his head. "It's nothing. Just an event of the past irrelevant now. Now this place is desert, and so it's the perfect arena for our duel."

"Eh." You smile widen. You spread your legs a bit more and bow forward with your torso slightly inclined to the. "First to lose consciousness or yield lose?"

"...You took the words out of my mouth." He slams his staff on the ground, only one eye visible from under his hat.

That eye...it tells you he's not going to hold back.

[] Stunt for Initiative? (write-in)

[] How to start? (write-in)

The damaged building and whatnot makes me think Darksiders, even though the scene obviously isn't from there. Got a slightly similiar post-apocalyptic feel to it.

We may need to keep this two-dimensional. I wouldn't trust those platforms without at least having Graceful Crane Stance.
cross_grave said:
The damaged building and whatnot makes me think Darksiders, even though the scene obviously isn't from there. Got a slightly similiar post-apocalyptic feel to it.
Pretty sure that's concept art from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Very pretty game, and a pretty good game as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like those low-hanging lights.

We have to wu-shu-stunt across them at some point.

Should probably boost up too. We can deal bashing damage right? Wouldn't do to underestimate him.

Stroth said:
We may need to keep this two-dimensional. I wouldn't trust those platforms without at least having Graceful Crane Stance.

We might be able to shoot them out from under the monk's feet if he decides to use them, though I doubt that will hinder him much unless we hit before he sticks his landing or manages to jump off of one. The goal would be to make him lose balance here, though that is something we can save for later, as in when the fight is underway.

Stroth said:
Pretty sure that's concept art from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Very pretty game, and a pretty good game as well.

Heard it's decent, though not without faults. I've played Darksiders so much though that urban postapocalypse evokes instant connection, especially with that color pallete.

Lon said:
Should probably boost up too. We can deal bashing damage right? Wouldn't do to underestimate him.
So long as we leave Boosted Gear in stealth mode, yes. Or we could activate Boosted Gear and just kick him, but there's not much point in bringing it out of stealth mode if we're not going to attack with it anyway.

Fists of Iron lets us pick if we want to deal bashing or Lethal, even if our current weapon would be dealing lethal, personally I think if we don't bring out Boosted Gear we are idiots, he's going to find out about it in the future after all and that's if we don't get our ass stomped without it, and him finding out later leads to us not giving this our all, bad karma all around, so yeah, don't hold back like a jerk, I'd write a vote myself but I'm in no state to do so for at least another day or two, got an appointment on Monday and its doing my head in just a little >.> which is why I've been a tad silent, well more then most times anyway, stress + Eternity + no sleep = even less social ability then normal /laugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back