• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

No, it doesn't, because we have had word of author on the subject.

No, we don't. We know that prayer doesn't make gods stronger, but hooking a soul up to your afterlife can, if not necessarily in this case but can, empower you, like with Boss Smiley. Hell, souls are literally magic generators made of magic!

No, we don't. We know that prayer doesn't make gods stronger, but hooking a soul up to your afterlife can, if not necessarily in this case but can, empower you, like with Boss Smiley. Hell, souls are literally magic generators made of magic!
I'm only half remembering (it's late here), but I believe that it was stated that the souls in the conversion chambers were special in some way. Powerful spiritual magic users i think?

Edit: also
Lantern Dul looks around in confusion as she takes in the orchards or Erebos.
Should be of or on?

I'm only half remembering (it's late here), but I believe that it was stated that the souls in the conversion chambers were special in some way. Powerful spiritual magic users i think?

They were saints, but my point stands that souls are made of magic and generate magic and hades hooks himself up to every soul in his domain.

also he could just really like his job.

So... Does Hades actually get something out of having more people in his domain? Or is he just happy that he can actually do his job again?

Some people build model trains. Some buy expensive lego sets. A few build small rockets.

Hades' hobby is building a working afterlife, and his copy of 'Sims Underworld Edition' just got a huge expansion. So much new content, you don't even know. They added billions of souls of multiple new species.

If he had a wallet and computer screen he'd be throwing one at the other so hard right now.

Not until you start making the proper sacrifices you aren't.

He already did that offscreen, he mentioned it in front of Hades when he died.

[
"My lord, I am… Not good at faith. I've been an atheist since I was old enough to realise that adults could be wrong about things. Even when I came to this world where gods clearly do exist, I didn't see that fact as.. relevant to me. It wasn't until I became a citizen of Themyscira that I… I began to think about what that meant for my life, the way I should.. live. And while I embraced Eris as my particular patron, I have paid homage to all of the major gods and.. several minor ones."

And what a waste of bovine bones and fat my sacrifice to Zeus turned out to be.
/quote]

They were saints, but my point stands that souls are made of magic and generate magic and hades hooks himself up to every soul in his domain.

Fair point. Also reminded me of Fawett City, where I believe the demons were using souls to power the portal.

And I agree, Hades has a respect for his duty, and is a bit of a workaholic. I'm sure it doesn't help that his wife is gone half the year. I mean, once the work load dropped down he studied and learned for several hundred years until he figured out how to empower his subjects. So he might be happy to have something to do for the next few centuries.

Souls dont generate magic, they seem to draw in the magic from their enviroment instead. The saints were special. Becauce they could draw in magic directly from the source.

I think it was mentioned that Hades actually uses the power he draws from Erebos(who does generate magic) to allow them to think clearly. So if amything hooking up every soul to his domain would make him weaker.

The reason is probably that he likes his job.

Last edited:
Why are people scared of Hades increasing his purview like this? This is a good thing! The Underworld is a better afterlife than Hell or Purgatory, possibly Heaven (no details on that one that I can remember besides fancy architecture). It's definitely a better deal than floating in the void of space for eternity.
Something something absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Yes, Hades seems be running the Underworld well. As far as afterlifes go, his seems to be the best. That said, we're talking at least a tenfold increase in power. That's a significant powerup to give anyone, let alone a Greek god (even the nicer ones can still be dicks). At what point does Hades become the strongest god on Earth? At what point does he surpass even the Titans? There are significant ramifications to giving anyone, even a good person, this kind of power.

And that's ignoring the monumental hissyfit Zeus is probably going to throw.

(And this is assuming he has about 100 million souls now and there's only 1 billion souls on Mother of Mercy. It may be much more than a tenfold increase.)

I also suspect that many of the lost souls either wont convert, or would prefer to go to their own gods if the option was available. and with such an influx of souls, and a Death God getting to do Death God things (conceptual resonance is a hell of a power boost) Hades might actually get the power to reach out to the afterlives of those alien gods and say:
Hades: "Hey there, One of my guys decided to play interstellar psychopomp, and found some of your guys... want em back?"
Alien God: "Oh? Oh Me! They've been missing for eons! Come on through my good man"

The sheer goodwill generated by connecting with alien pantheons would be immense.

and the alien gods that aren't nice can go hang. hell some of those souls have been lost so long that their home pantheons have died out
I'd guess that about
30% will join up immediately because fuck that space hell noise/ any port in a storm
25% will join because their home pantheons are dead/gone or utter arseholes like that eyegod (speaking of, has he been hunted down yet?)
20% will want to leave/dissolve/ rejoin the source
15% will hold out to get sent to their own religion's afterlife
10% are so young they don't know whats going on (children born on spaceships mainly)

either way, Hades is gonna be BUSY for a while. and quite happy that he gets to do his job!

A little belated, thank you Neverwinter Mod 16...
Lantern Dul looks around in confusion as she takes in the orchards or Erebos. "This… Are we under the island?"
Oglymogly spotted this one: 'orchards of Erebos'

"No?"I shrug, turn and walk towards a small work party.
Missing spaces here.

His neck.. twists around, bones misshapen and misaligned, wounds clearly visible on his head. Lantern Dul makes the gagging noise that thanagarians make instead of gasping.
Ouch.

"Believe it now?" or "Believe him now?"

"You don't have pulse."
"You don't have a pulse."

"They'd be as bewildered as I am." She flaps her wings, flying up to just above the tree line and then turning her head this way and that. "There's-. There's no horizon."
Spooky for a flying race, I bet.

Once more: Earth. Bullshit. How has it not sunk in yet, Lantern Dul?

"And I will personally stress the importance of your mission. I do not want to fight the Seven Devils. Or even one of them."
Missing Orange on the Quotation mark.

"I'm prepared to judge you, and I'm sure that you'll be more trouble than anyone else could dream of being."
OL, the advanced difficulty standard for Gods!

That's the sort of problem I'd like to stay on top of.
Yes, she'd be a veritable breeding ground of Black Lanterns if it came down to it...

The gate shimmers as it actives, and the first...
The gate shimmers as it activates, and the first...

As many of my fellow readers have noted: Concerning...

Very interesting implications for the future...

Last edited:
A few possible repercussions - Hades just got billions of souls from spacefaring civilizations - his tech level might grow better than that of Earth. On the other hand, this might lead to Hades having a foreign exchange program with the world, with souls like Deadman's, but powered by Hades. Literal Ghost space ships maybe, to get people back to their worlds? Powered and run by souls instead of computers and battery power?
Monotheism is also a thing, though, among alien cultures, so some of these souls might get sent to Heaven (if their reach extends to aliens).

Also, how does this affect Blackest Night? Do those zombie lanterns have souls? Or no effect at all (most likely).

Edit: also
Lantern Dul looks around in confusion as she takes in the orchards or Erebos.
Should be of or on?
Thank you, corrected.
Pretty much.
Souls dont generate magic, they seem to draw in the magic from their enviroment instead. The saints were special. Becauce they could draw in magic directly from the source.

I think it was mentioned that Hades actually uses the power he draws from Erebos(who does generate magic) to allow them to think clearly. So if amything hooking up every soul to his domain would make him weaker.

The reason is probably that he likes his job.
Technically, it just reduced his peak draw, and he hasn't used that since the titanomachy.
"No?"I shrug, turn and walk towards a small work party.
Missing spaces here.
"You don't have pulse."
"You don't have a pulse."
"And I will personally stress the importance of your mission. I do not want to fight the Seven Devils. Or even one of them."
Missing Orange on the Quotation mark.
Thank you, corrected.
"Believe now?"
"Believe it now?" or "Believe him now?"
No, that's correct.

Why are people scared of Hades increasing his purview like this? This is a good thing! The Underworld is a better afterlife than Hell or Purgatory, possibly Heaven (no details on that one that I can remember besides fancy architecture). It's definitely a better deal than floating in the void of space for eternity.
I think they're worried that he'll decide to get a bit... proactive in his gathering of lost souls.

I think Hades will get a boost from this it will let him further tap Erebus pulling more magic into his realm. Not a sudden power up but a gradual level increase. Granted they have to stay there, Greek afterlife did have a reincarnation option.

I wonder if other gods of the dead/afterlives will start looking into space for potential followers by giving them a decent afterlife and maybe asking Paul to help as well. Some afterlives might suit different species better after all, like I'm sure warrior cultures would love Vahalla and Odin is always looking for more people willing to help fight ice giants to prevent Ragnarok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back