• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 upgrade

Themes will be a bit of an issue- because they kinda need customization more than before, we're probably going to scale back on number of available themes.

I'll make sure we get a good dark theme though. (I use Blackened Purple right now)

Ah, well now that I am looking at Blackened Purple, it's not bad on the eyes.

Does make every link look like it was already clicked, like Google or some such, but that's hardly a problem.

Well, this was reassuring. I don't think I could stay on QQ without a dark theme. I'm prone to migraines, and I find bright hues (like Neon Pink) and staring at white for too long triggers them.

* pending Xon, and alethiophile was looking into making a text editor closer to the XF1 one.
Please thank you.

That's all I ask for the update when it happens. I absolutely hate XF2 textboxes.

Current QQ with every button immediately available and no lag/errors when typing fast is best.

Dark themes either like Dark Responsive (Green) or Dark Green (Other) work well, the other dark themes would be fine if their width wasn't screwed up. SB and SV do have a setting for that though, even if 'no margins' has margins for some reason and only dynamic has none.

Though I do have a style fixing width for Xenforo so not really an issue if the rest is decent.

Last edited:
Themes will be a bit of an issue- because they kinda need customization more than before, we're probably going to scale back on number of available themes.

I'll make sure we get a good dark theme though. (I use Blackened Purple right now)
That's a good point actually, we should get some discussion going on what makes a good theme. Would that go in this thread, or would it be better to make a different thread?

It is "in progress"*There have been some service hiccups lately- we are also looking into upgrading our host again.

I recommend Hostinger.com.

I use the "Default" theme XenForo 1.

XenForo 1 has the best themes possible!:)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've heard nothing.
~ Grabs popcorn, and straps in for a good show ~

Currently the technical work for the upgrade is very nearly finished. However, we're running out of disk space on the current server, and so admin time is going to preparing to upgrade servers.

Once the server upgrade is finished, we'll be about ready to launch a demo version of the XF2 translation.

It's good to hear that things are moving, not just from the security standpoint but also becasuse the upgrade will hopefully include the upgraded functionality of the threadmark addon - things like the "reader mode" button at the bottom of a post that goes to a reader mode "from there". I'm so used to being able to jump back to reader mode from anywhere while I'm reading and it being missing here is weird.

Also, people going "If you upgrade to Xenforo 2 I'm leaving" are *not helping*. Xenforo 1 is a leaky boat patched up with papier maché, one of these days one of the patched holes is going to burst open and we'll be up a creek without a paddle. Xenforo2 might not behave in the ways everyone wants, but at least it is less likely to get a catastrophic security hole that no one will bother to fix because they're not getting paid to do it. All you're doing by demanding "it has to be just as fast as XF1 before you upgrade" is delaying replacement of something primed to catastrophically fail, instead of letting it be "good enough" that it doesn't explode on us and being able to fix it later.

(Also, while I don't post often on mobile, I haven't much noticed any weird slowness in the text editor on my phone on SB? Maybe the problem is fixed.)

https://xf2.questionablequesting.com/
(It's using an older copy of the database so yeah it's out of date)
alethiophile was working on a text editor to more closely match the XF1 one, and we need some styling, and also it needs some permissions testing yet.

Looks pretty good.

Stuff that looks a bit off:
* email codes aren't working, or are working really slow
* the thread header doesn't seem to use the profile pic, just a letter
* right now, the thread header looks really big

I assume other themes will be available eventually, so no big deal there.

* email codes aren't working, or are working really slow
Part of the testing phase is that email from the XF2 system is Disabled right now- meaning email-based 2FA will not function, sorry.
I can ask Aleth if there would be an issue caused by enabling it, and hopefully have it on soon.

re: Themes, yeah they definitely need some work.

Other minor things. People with default profile pics show up as broken images when I look at a like list.

alethiophile was working on a text editor to more closely match the XF1 one, and we need some styling, and also it needs some permissions testing yet.

Looks pretty decent, though NSFW CrW being at the bottom of the NSFW section is peculiar. Also a trip to see my briefly-used first avatar on the site showing, instead of either of my two long-held ones. Also would prefer to see the like button popup drop the emotes for cleanliness.

Are we able to comment or otherwise cause havoc on it, or is that generally disabled on the demo?

The main benefit I see from XF2 is reaction capability even RR has it and they're not even a forum.
Otherwise, keeping themes is a good idea and it be nice if we had a Star theme like SV.
Hope the transition is smooth and painless.
Edit:
Is the username change thing because of XF1 or policy?

PLEASE have all of the buttons immediately available rather than using drop down lists.

Also, a particular difference is the text color button. QQ 'saves' the last text color you used so it's just a click each time when editing different sentences.

But SB doesnt do that. So I have to aim and click along the color picker each time. The squares for each color is tiny, and it's easy to misclick.

It's obvious which one's better.

There's also my old and still relevant complaints about input lag and errors when using bold/italics/underlined when typing continuously.

Last edited:
The XF2 site is under construction. Do not post here. Any changes will be overwritten when we rebuild it with a fresh copy of the database.
So this means we can play around a bit since it'll be erased later? :sneaky:

Last edited:
It looks good so far, aside from the need to convert more of the original themes to Xenforo 2.

The only two major complaints I have are both related to user avatars:

The first is that I'd like a way to have user avatars stay as squares like they are now, instead of circles like they seem to be in the prototype version of XF2 you're using there. Forcing the user avatars into circles crops the images in weird and annoying ways, and I'd rather not have to change my avatar to something else that fits the circular format better.

The second is that the annoying "This User Is Online" notifier thing is right in the middle of the user's avatar, obscuring it quite a bit. Even worse, while I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, when I tried to uncheck the "Show your online status" option in preferences there, it did nothing to actually hide the Online status over my avatar. I'd like some way to have that "User is Online" marker be completely removed, because as it is, it's just annoying.

Note that this version is an interim copy that we've mostly been using for experiments. Once the upgrade proper starts, which will be after the new server migration, we'll do a new full migration with the latest config and let people play around with that for a few weeks. At that point I'll be taking feedback directly and will be able to apply it to the known-current version.

I will try to address what people are saying here, but comments might be obviated by interim changes and/or get lost in the shuffle.

Note that this version is an interim copy that we've mostly been using for experiments. Once the upgrade proper starts, which will be after the new server migration, we'll do a new full migration with the latest config and let people play around with that for a few weeks. At that point I'll be taking feedback directly and will be able to apply it to the known-current version.

I will try to address what people are saying here, but comments might be obviated by interim changes and/or get lost in the shuffle.
The textbox is my main concern.

As long as it's about as good and convenient as current, I'll be happy.

Although a non-textbox thought for me is that SB annoyingly doesn't load EVERY threadmark.

Like, I go to the specific "threadmarks" page here: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/another-life-pokemon-your-name-quest.559327/threadmarks

And there is a huge fucking gap of five hundred eighty-nine hidden threadmarks. What the fuck is that?! It's shit! The whole point of the threadmark page is so that I can look at EVERY threadmark to either view the one I want, or arrange them if I'm the author.

The current QQ style with every threadmark immediately available with just the drop-down while browsing the a thread normally is much more convenient for me.

Last edited:
Although a non-textbox thought for me is that SB annoyingly doesn't load EVERY threadmark.

Like, I go to the specific "threadmarks" page here: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/another-life-pokemon-your-name-quest.559327/threadmarks

And there is a huge fucking gap of five hundred eighty-nine hidden threadmarks. What the fuck is that?! It's shit! The whole point of the threadmark page is so that I can look at EVERY threadmark to either view the one I want, or arrange them if I'm the author.

The current QQ style with every threadmark immediately available with just the drop-down while browsing the a thread normally is much more convenient for me.

Oh, and the worst part for me at least is that sometimes it still doesn't load all of them after clicking on it.

Like, if there's too many threadmarks, the threadmarks page borks so it doesn't load some of them even after hitting 'show all'/'show more' or whatever the ellipses calls itself.

So having the "Show all threadmarks" thing actually show all the threadmarks would be nice.

I get that it's probably because they have the threadmarks at the top of the page and want to save space, but just like... don't put them there. There's a button to take you to a page with all the threadmarks, if people want to see the threadmarks, they'll hit that. Or the 'Index' button on a threadmarked post.

Anyways, personally, I just hope there's still a [Dark Responsive (Green)] format for me to use in the new one, I've been using it for way too long, any other format would just look freaky for me.

I hope that much like SB the reactions are just kept to likes, unless 'negative likes' are added there's not much point to having more than one option since they are all just minor variations of "I like this post/agree with it".

Like, if there's too many threadmarks, the threadmarks page borks so it doesn't load some of them even after hitting 'show all'/'show more' or whatever the ellipses calls itself.
Oh god I hated that so fucking much.

Not only does the thread mark page not show every theeadmark, clicking to show all thread marks DOES NOT show all thread marks

It's so fucking shit.

Not only does the thread mark page not show every theeadmark, clicking to show all thread marks DOES NOT show all thread marks

It's so fucking shit.

It's absurdly irritating when I find a snippet thread with the amount of snippets in the 100's+, and then ctrl-f doesn't work to get the specific ones I'm looking for, and the OP doesn't link from snippet-to-snippet for the ones in the same series.

Seriously, if I go to the threadmarks index page, which only has threadmarks, it can reasonably be assumed that of course I want to see all of goddamn threadmarks.

It's so fucking shit.
It's absurdly irritating when I find a snippet thread with the amount of snippets in the 100's+, and then ctrl-f doesn't work to get the specific ones I'm looking for, and the OP doesn't link from snippet-to-snippet for the ones in the same series.

Seriously, if I go to the threadmarks index page, which only has threadmarks, it can reasonably be assumed that of course I want to see all of goddamn threadmarks.
SB does have a suggestion box.

Formated text (BB Code) doesn't work in the signature for XF2, it just deletes the signature when you try to save a new one. :V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back