• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

If he tries stealing, I say we "accidentally" blind him. And cripple him. And castrate him.

We also should go to that 4 pm appointment, so we need to rotate out then. We don't want to be like Kakashi after all.

But hey, we got both the how and the why out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you need to know the exact composition of a substance to know to look out for it... since when?

Redon said:
So, you need to know the exact composition of a substance to know to look out for it... since when?
You don't need to know it to know to look out for it, but you do need to know it to know how to treat the injured and to get a sense of what kind of person you're dealing with, exactly. At the moment, all you know are the results of Sorato's little chemistry experiment; you don't know:

- what he intended to happen
- what was in the bottle
-> whether he mixed the contents himself
-> what he would have had to do to get what was in the bottle
- what his plan for after he tossed the bottle might have been

Using your time before your shift to look into the method of the blinding would have told you quite a few of those things.

So, I think I have some ideas. But for one of them, before I start putting weight on it, I was hoping Furiko could answer a question or two.

How well does Ino know the shops of this town, and is it a large enough town that we could reasonably hope to find certain shops? For instance, a costume to shop that sells fake jewelry or cheap imitation pieces of crap that look enough like the real thing?

Cause frankly, I am more than okay with making a decoy box of loot, trapping or hiding it, and tricking this guy (if he does come) into stealing with worthless trinkets. Hell, it's a good measure of security regardless if we can effectively hide some of the loot and let some chump take the decoy.

Thrashing this guy would be good, but we don't know how a direct encounter would go and having him screw himself over with fake jewelry (that the massage girl has better odds of noticing, and if not we can tip her off ourselves) and ruin his rep by having him brag and boast LIKE A BAWS only for everyone to find out he got suckered would be a very fitting punishment.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
So, I think I have some ideas. But for one of them, before I start putting weight on it, I was hoping Furiko could answer a question or two.

How well does Ino know the shops of this town, and is it a large enough town that we could reasonably hope to find certain shops? For instance, a costume to shop that sells fake jewelry or cheap imitation pieces of crap that look enough like the real thing?
Ino's been to Tanzaku Gai a couple of times over the years, always with one or both of her parents and never for very long (it's expensive for ninja to go away on holiday even on a jounin's salary). She knows where to buy souvenirs without getting gouged, including one or two antique shops her mom always likes to look in on, and she considers herself a veteran of the markets. She knows where some costume shops are, but she's never had a chance to check them out; a lot of them are in Dyers' Alley, and Takae-sensei doesn't like the hard-sell approach most of the vendors there take.

Okay, let's give this a shot. IIRC I have two Z-Slashes to burn, but I don't think this plan is complicated or necessary enough to be worth burning one.

[X] Our objective is to defend the valuables. In that regard, knowing what's coming is probably our best hope of preparing effectively.
[X] First priority is gathering more information about possible threats. Sorato has been identified as one by the teacher, but keep an ear to the wind for others. Keep the appointment with the nurse, see if there's any more information we can dig up. Priority on Sorato since we've got reason to suspect him. Also examine the stables we're keeping the valuables in.
-[X] It's also good to check your sources, look into Sukaha if you get the chance.
[X] Second priority is setting up defenses for the valuables. Conventional traps, convenient hiding places, likely avenues of attack or to break in from, the works.
-[X] Optional: If Ino or something else qualified has the time, hit the markets for fake jewelry and valuables that look like they're the genuine article to use as a decoy. Set up enough traps around them to make someone think they're the genuine article, and obstacles just difficult enough for a sufficiently clever person to circumnavigate.
[X] Third objective: sabotage any likely threats pre-emptively. Sorato is not guaranteed to be one, but taking precautions, like marking him with some kind of scent Kiba and his better half can always track and recognize would be nice. No injuries, nothing malicious and absolutely nothing we're likely to get caught doing. Be very careful and discerning about this. Better to do nothing at all than to get fingered doing something.
[X] Don't ever leave the valuables completely unguarded at any point in time.
[X] See if Asuma will help you out in the manpower or advice department, and assign whoever is available and suitable to accomplish objectives.

Thoughts?

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Okay, let's give this a shot. IIRC I have two Z-Slashes to burn, but I don't think this plan is complicated or necessary enough to be worth burning one.

[X] Our objective is to defend the valuables. In that regard, knowing what's coming is probably our best hope of preparing effectively.
[X] First priority is gathering more information about possible threats. Sorato has been identified as one by the teacher, but keep an ear to the wind for others. Keep the appointment with the nurse, see if there's any more information we can dig up. Priority on Sorato since we've got reason to suspect him. Also examine the stables we're keeping the valuables in.
-[X] It's also good to check your sources, look into Sukaha if you get the chance.
[X] Second priority is setting up defenses for the valuables. Conventional traps, convenient hiding places, likely avenues of attack or to break in from, the works.
-[X] Optional: If Ino or something else qualified has the time, hit the markets for fake jewelry and valuables that look like they're the genuine article to use as a decoy. Set up enough traps around them to make someone think they're the genuine article, and obstacles just difficult enough for a sufficiently clever person to circumnavigate.
[X] Third objective: sabotage any likely threats pre-emptively. Sorato is not guaranteed to be one, but taking precautions, like marking him with some kind of scent Kiba and his better half can always track and recognize would be nice. No injuries, nothing malicious and absolutely nothing we're likely to get caught doing. Be very careful and discerning about this. Better to do nothing at all than to get fingered doing something.
[X] See if Asuma will help you out in the manpower or advice department, and assign whoever is available and suitable to accomplish objectives.

Thoughts?
Mine, or everyone else's?

Either or. Don't want this to become ghost town.

Although if multiple steps are involved in a plan, could one slash be used to ensure we essentially roll Nat100 for all steps? Because if we could come up with ideas and pack the day full of as much as possible for maximum success in short and long term, that might be worth burning a slash even if I'm holding my second in reserve.

Hum....oh yeah, I should probably modify it to allow sabotage actions that can be excused as innocent. Basically if you do get caught get caught over the distraction, not the real deal.

Probably something that should be done during the evening too, when less people are available to shake down. Add massage girl or Mei to the list of interviewed targets, out of earshot of Sorato. Or arrange for the girls to find out about each other at some point and cause some self-destruct?

....Come to think of it, removing Sorato's main reason to steal defends the valuables just as well if not better. Huh. Back to brainstorming I guess, that's a new angle of attack.

Hazuki might also be a good person to talk to around here, we could learn more about the mechanics of what Sorato did.

Also damn you and your mixed messages! Surface message: go ahead a waste a slash! Context of the clip: using the slash/voting for a third party is the only way to win!

I like that but was wondering why we even leave hte jewels there when we could also simply carry then on our body henge walk into a unwatched space and henge to find a hidehole in the city and only return with them when we are needed.

I was assuming we do find some safe place to hide the real stuff. And all things considered I'd still feel safer with the stuff at the school because it likely has a measure of inherent protection for what's on campus and carefully moving lots of valuables around seems unwise.

But if Ino or Asuma was good with it, sure.

Well we could also use
Careful, Your Face Might Freeze That Way (Intermediate) instead of a henge..

I fail to see how that changes the critical matter of storing, guarding, and transporting valuable delicate items across longer distances, all in secret and therefore meaning we cannot take safer but more blatant protective measures.

Whichever way you look at it, storing the valuables on our body is dangerous. Open transport via container is more obvious. Pros and cons to each, but I'm of the opinion that the cons and risks vastly outweigh the pros. The ideal hidey hole is somewhere fairly close to where we're expected to guard the loot but still well hidden enough that they'll think the decoy we openly guard is the real deal while the true loot goes unnoticed.

Sure. Is Asuma going to put himself at our disposal for whatever plan we come up with, or will he shut down a plan or part of a plan he doesn't like and offer suggestions, or is he going to let this play out and only intervene if the mission or the team is endangered?

Or more succinctly, how involved is Asuma going to be for the coming events?

He'll intervene if you fuck up, but he sees this as a good chance for you kids to get field experience dealing young people on your own level. Such opportunities are rare for genin outside of a chuunin exam, since generally any mission with combat and actual stakes for a village is given to chuunin.

H'okay, so he's just going to observe but not do stuff for us. Well that cuts down a good amount of manpower and experience.

I'm going to add a few things. First, TRY and pick Asuma's brains for possible touch techniques or skills like Sorato was implied to have. Second, avoid contact with him at all.Third, modify sabotage protocols.

....And while I'm not putting it in HERE, slipping Sorato some laxatives or something to keep him in the privy/on the porcelain throne is also quite acceptable. We're here to protect the valuables first and if he's got the shits too bad to get up and knick Nabiki's shit, then Suhaku will just have to deal.

But this definitely falls under, "Don't get caught. No, not even then. Don't do you dare."

And come to think of it, priming massage girl, if we can find her and her identity or clue her in on Sorato's two-timing ways and make that self-destruct, thus preventing that motive for theft, works juuuuuuuust fine. And I thought of this earlier. In it goes!

No kidding, I'd at least like to hear some ideas or brainstorming on what to add. This is our big game plan, let's be exhaustive about it.

And JESUS this got big. I like being exhaustive but this is at a point where paring down is probably something to consider if we can't get all this done. I left something in there to make it clear to cut stuff out as applicable, and we probably won't be able to do everything, but still.

Also, if Furiko plans to write everything happening here and we need to make decisions every step of they way....maybe better not to use it.

Basically, let's not let the big plan get in the way of the story being written.

-[X] Try to get as much done as possible, but prioritize. Some things may have to fall by the wayside in order to make a more effective playing field. Don't be afraid to exercise initiative, but be smart about it. If you contradict the plan, have a good reason for it.
--[X] Hint: punching some asshole's face in early because he annoys you is not a good reason, and will result in you being mysteriously possessed and punching yourself in the face. Fairly warned be ye.

-[X] Also try to figure out who massage girl is. And see if Sorato has any other girlfriends or outstanding promises to them. If he has other motives to steal, we should know.
-[X] Also, if we can get away with it search Sorato's room for any trick, books, or other items of interest.
-[X] Keeping an eyeball on Sorato himself would also be useful, if feasible.
-[X] Pick Asuma's brains for any knowledge he may have on the acid Sorato used or why we'd be told not to let him touch us. Share your wisdom with us Asuma-sensei!

-[X] Whoever is guarding the valuables should be spending their time assessing the location for good hiding places, battle plans, et cetera.
-[X] If we can find a superior hidey-hole for the valuables that is more defensible and/or a more obscure location, consider moving the real goods there so long as a decoy is in place and you do not get caught.

[X] Third priority: sabotage any likely threats pre-emptively. Sorato is not guaranteed to be one, but taking precautions, like marking him with some kind of scent Kiba and his better half can always track and recognize would be nice. No injuries, nothing malicious and absolutely nothing we're likely to get caught doing. Be very careful and discerning about this. Better to do nothing at all than to get fingered doing something. If you do get caught, have a good excuse and make sure you aren't getting fingered for sabotage and instead something more innocuous.
-[X] If we learn massage girl's identity, then if we can arrange for Mei to meet with massage girl and get the two to self-destruct, do so. Manage fallout and possibly be a shoulder for Mei to cry on, but remove that motive for theft. Do this away from Sorato.
-[X] Alternatively, make sure massage girl would recognize fake jewelry when given to her by some means so if Sorato comes back with bad goods, he gets the shaft.
-[X] Slipping Sorato something that puts him down for the night in sleep, keeps him on a toilet, or otherwise prevents him from making a theft attempt also works. If it puts him off his game, great, BUT DON'T GET CAUGHT.

-[X] Also, get some layers of good clothing so that even if it comes to melee with Sorato, he doesn't make contact easily.

As I said I am more in favor of hiding the stuff and then hiding the guardians.
Can we set up a seal that would cast Paradise viewing on someone that breaks the container of the seal?

Let's talk shifts. I'm thinking two around the fake treasure at any given time with Menka "sleeping" by the real treasure for most of the day because cats can be anywhere inconspicuously. They should be close enough to reinforce each other. Ideally we could swing putting the "teasure" by where we sleep for easy access to night time reinforcements so that we can hide the treasure where we actually sleep to give an excuse for being at that spot all night.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
-[X] Try to get as much done as possible, but prioritize. Some things may have to fall by the wayside in order to make a more effective playing field. Don't be afraid to exercise initiative, but be smart about it. If you contradict the plan, have a good reason for it.
--[X] Hint: punching some asshole's face in early because he annoys you is not a good reason, and will result in you being mysteriously possessed and punching yourself in the face. Fairly warned be ye.

-[X] Also try to figure out who massage girl is. And see if Sorato has any other girlfriends or outstanding promises to them. If he has other motives to steal, we should know.
-[X] Also, if we can get away with it search Sorato's room for any trick, books, or other items of interest.
-[X] Keeping an eyeball on Sorato himself would also be useful, if feasible.
-[X] Pick Asuma's brains for any knowledge he may have on the acid Sorato used or why we'd be told not to let him touch us. Share your wisdom with us Asuma-sensei!
Blinding acid does seem like the kind of thing Lupino would have on hand, doesn't it?

Sorato is an asshole for using it on a fellow student; enemy ninja would be fair game.

-[X] Whoever is guarding the valuables should be spending their time assessing the location for good hiding places, battle plans, et cetera.
-[X] If we can find a superior hidey-hole for the valuables that is more defensible and/or a more obscure location, consider moving the real goods there so long as a decoy is in place and you do not get caught.
Lupino should keep the valuable jewelry on her person. For, uh, protection.
[X] Third priority: sabotage any likely threats pre-emptively. Sorato is not guaranteed to be one, but taking precautions, like marking him with some kind of scent Kiba and his better half can always track and recognize would be nice. No injuries, nothing malicious and absolutely nothing we're likely to get caught doing. Be very careful and discerning about this. Better to do nothing at all than to get fingered doing something. If you do get caught, have a good excuse and make sure you aren't getting fingered for sabotage and instead something more innocuous.
Any plan that involves having Akamaru and/or Kiba to pee on Sorato has my vote.
-[X] If we learn massage girl's identity, then if we can arrange for Mei to meet with massage girl and get the two to self-destruct, do so. Manage fallout and possibly be a shoulder for Mei to cry on, but remove that motive for theft. Do this away from Sorato.
-[X] Alternatively, make sure massage girl would recognize fake jewelry when given to her by some means so if Sorato comes back with bad goods, he gets the shaft.
-[X] Slipping Sorato something that puts him down for the night in sleep, keeps him on a toilet, or otherwise prevents him from making a theft attempt also works. If it puts him off his game, great, BUT DON'T GET CAUGHT.
Massage girl? Did we meet a massage girl?

Anyway, if he's an alchemist type then we shouldn't try slipping him laxatives/whatever, even with Lupino's clever hands.

Guile said:
Blinding acid does seem like the kind of thing Lupino would have on hand, doesn't it?
You can probably get some wasabi from the kitchen. *shrug* Lupin tends to have a soft-spot for low-tech solutions.

Guile said:
Massage girl? Did we meet a massage girl?
Sukaha mentioned one as the reason Sorato was interested in Nabiki's loot. You don't know her identity, though.

Hmm. I like the simple answer.

[X] Disguise yourself as a member of the staff, and dope Sorato's evening meal up to the gills.

If the boy is drugged to hell and back, he can't steal anything. Problem solved.

Guile said:

Sorato is an asshole for using it on a fellow student; enemy ninja would be fair game.

Maybe, but it's also the kind of scandalous action that'll get us a reputation, justify Nabiki's dislike of ninja/extend it to us, et cetera. And we really don't want to cause a scandal on her wedding day.

Lupino should keep the valuable jewelry on her person. For, uh, protection.

We're not stealing it, protecting it really is our job, and Asuma is watching.

Any plan that involves having Akamaru and/or Kiba to pee on Sorato has my vote.

Great minds think alike. :p

Be assured, that is not the only scenario where Kiba/Akamaru humiliates Sorato coming to my mind.

Anyway, if he's an alchemist type then we shouldn't try slipping him laxatives/whatever, even with Lupino's clever hands.

Yeah, that's another worry of mine. There is a reason why I emphasized, "DON'T GET FUCKING CAUGHT." Hopefully we figure out if he's likely to notice this kind of stuff..

Vindictus said:
Hmm. I like the simple answer.

[X] Disguise yourself as a member of the staff, and dope Sorato's evening meal up to the gills.

If the boy is drugged to hell and back, he can't steal anything. Problem solved.

That's one plan, and requires replacing a staff member. We need to be prepared for in case a plan falls through and doesn't work. Also, if we have to assault a staff member to get at Sorato, it's a bad plan and the kind of plan where it's really easy for us to get caught and disgrace our patron.

Also, as Guile pointed out, he might be able to notice. That's bad.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Simplicity is good, simplifying a plan is often good, but in this case we're on the defense and have to be prepared for many eventualities, including the possibility that Sorato is not the only threat. Just the only one we know of.

Need to be subtle about this.

So, when should I expect a consensus? A couple of days? Twenty hours?

Holy Fuck, that plan is wayyy to fucking long.

It completely breaks the rule of KISS.

(and no, I'm not going to make a counter-plan, seeing as I'm busy as hell for the next few days.)

[X] Do a Lupin style bait and switch plan of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back