• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

(Velvet Selene doesn't sound that good...)
Try Velvet Luna.

5) 3 Winter scraps (and 1 or 2 could be from influence, and at least 1 probably from the action itself) and we could go for the Winter Sacrament (morally questionable.).
We can actually get that one anytime we want.

As for your Orchard comment... better to visit NEW areas first. If we run out of those we can consider revisiting, though we'd then probably have to worry about that "if you don't visit new areas you start getting depressed" thing.

we still have plenty left though. 3 areas in the woods (presumably), 1 in the stairways, the red church, I think 2 at the top of the Mansus, the Areas unlocked by SH Sacrament (Tower of the Moon and beyond), Possibly the area behind the Winter Sacrament, and who knows what else.

what? Jade doesn't have Knock, how could she?

Or did you mean Selene with Axe?

In that case it's easier for Velvet to do it first, and then teach Selene.

...I wonder...

Explanation about the Jade comment:
Jade asked to study Selene's Knock levels.
After studying Selene's Knock levels she managed to give us the rituals "Rite of Childhood's End" and "Rite of the Mother and the Father" and the option to research "A Memory of Light".
My crazy thought was that if we raise Selene's Knock to 4 there might be something Jade can learn like the previous times.

But that is all just in my head.

Last edited:
Umm... The Orchard isn't a new place, we already went to it, that is how we found the Winter Barrier and the Mares remember?
Pitt's saying we don't need to go to the place we already know about, we can explore different areas instead.
I'm fully expecting we're going to want to run a max-level Influence from every Name we have available at the time (which should be Mareinette, Baldomare, and Biedde) and maybe even a Called Influence on top of that, if there's enough bits to spare.
Uh… from what I recall we can only have one Name Influence at a time? Or did that get changed? I remember there being some confusion at points when Bird rejiggered the rules a bit, but not exactly how it played out.

Uh… from what I recall we can only have one Name Influence at a time? Or did that get changed? I remember there being some confusion at points when Bird rejiggered the rules a bit, but not exactly how it played out.
Iirc, we can only have one Called Influence at a time. I don't believe we're limited on Name-channeled Influences.

Other Lores exist beyond Knock, Heart, and Grail, you know. Having a +50 expedition bonus isn't going to save the DoA if she runs into a DC 160 Secret Histories obstacle.
Mareinette, and Ax have a combined +110 for all expedition rolls, with rerolls, and something like 8 failed roll before they are forced to quit. Unless an expedition explicitly requires Velvet she nothing but dead weight.

I'm still thinking of a plan or if I want to go with the suggested ones or a variant. I understand people are committed to using the Reagent on Jade cause they don't want to risk failing considering how important it is to keep the Names even if the risk is low. I had a thought though if we wanted to split the Sacrament actions between two turns while still using the reagent for Jade. What if we used the free AotL on calling an influence.

Mareinette, and Ax have a combined +110 for all expedition rolls, with rerolls, and something like 8 failed roll before they are forced to quit.
General bonuses don't stack, only the highest counts. The same way that DoA's +50 expedition bonus replaces our stat bonus on obstacles.

[Roll: 8 + 50 (Daughter-of-Axes leading) + 20 (MOTH bonus) + 0 (MOTH bonus, Daughter-of-Axes) = 78]
Notice the lack of any Intrigue (or other) stat.

A DC 160 Secret Histories check, as I used in my example, would be literally impossible for them to clear.

What if we used the free AotL on calling an influence.
AotL only works for Application bonus, not Knowledge. And Knowledge is what we use in rituals.

Last edited:
We should absolutely use a Mareinette action next turn for a Heart lesson.

One - it is something we can do multiple times. Take it now so that any scraps we get add on to that.

Two - we'll know if it's something we're willing to do more than once.

Three - Gauruntee that if we have to we can then just take an influence to get All 4.

Four - If we do get only one scrap from exploring we can take another lesson and then have the scraps from the influence apply to getting us to 5.

Five - We actually interact with Marienette in a manner that might not be negative or transactional on our own accord! True it will probably be an eldritch encounter but we're fine with handling and doing eldritch things.

But that's an argument for what to do next turn. For this one:
I like the idea of asking our Uncle what the rest of Ponykind thinks about us.
I can't see any use for the Leash right now.
Summon a MitL and have her look for the manuscripts.
For the Mansus - go exploring with our new son in his garden.
Teach Jade.
Everyone has pretty much agreed to read the books.

I think the only difference between my preferred options in the plans proposed so far is that Pittauro's teaches Rarity and Greymere's does an extra Mansus action.

I also wouldn't mind spending an action friending Filthy Rich this turn instead.

Didn't DoA reroll on the first Canterlot expedition?
Nope. BtRC didn't use Knock at all, in fact.

[The Daughter-of-Axes smashing through a low-level expedition]

[Sneaking into the Royal Castle, cd 75]

[Roll: 27 + 50 (Expedition Bonus) = 77]

[Success]

"She didn't try to sneak into the deeper, better guarded parts of the Royal Castle. And they are already stretched thin due to the current situation, so…"

[Navigating the caverns, cd 60]

[Roll: 24 + 50 (Expedition Bonus) = 74]

[Success]

"You can't shake off the impression that she put only the minimal effort required. Still, she made her way through the confounding caverns of shining crystals just fine."

[Opening a door, cd 80]

[Roll: 38 + 50 (Expedition bonus) = 88]

[Success]

"Forge would have been ideal. Forge, and pickaxes, and maybe even dynamite or some other more esoteric substitute. But apparently, her axe alone was enough."

[Expedition successfully completed]

Speaking of that last Expedition, I would want to spend an action or two looking at the stuff we got from it. The Heart blanket and SH book have been quite useful in the past, and I want to make more use of the tools and books we already have before going out to find more.

"Well… I had Rarity with me… And I remember we stayed here for a few weeks… Wait, is it because we worked until late? Is this a work-hours issue?"
"But…" you say, still not being able to believe it. "But I am a mare, Shining. A unicorn mare! You'd need two of me to make one of you Royal Guards. How could they possibly be scared of me?"
He goes on and on. Almost as if he is reading from a mental list, much to your distraught.
This is all so funny really. Poor, poor, Velvet. Bring your family to work day is a great idea though — and it'll be fun to see what Luna thinks of her Bureau!

One thought on a Steppes action: we could ask him about his time in Manehattan?

(@OurLadyOfWires is this a possible Steppes letter?)

I'm weirded out by the fact our Mob Boss Uncle has been spending time in a city where Copper took over the local gangs. Really weirded out.

I don't know if inquiring about his time there really gets anything done at all, especially if we're not actually doing anything about Copper. But even getting a little lay of the land might be good if, for example, we summon Biedde and send him there.

Last edited:
Biedde in Manehatten is actually kind of funny, if only because I remember it being the Edge/Moth heavy city.

Like seriously, I have this image now of a bunch of dumb young gangster trying to mug him or something, only to be faced with the oldest gangster. Because I refuse to believe Biedde hasn't been in a gang at least once in his very long life. Dude was a Highwayman in canon IIRC.

Last edited:
All I know is that we must teach Jade this turn. Getting a lock on the proper book is vital for Name retention. Name Retention is key, not just because of AP but also because contested summons are pretty expensive.

Also I wish to summon Biedde because he is so fitting for a head of the pony FBI/CIA to hire. Sign him on as an independent contractor and cackle. Cackle I say!

(Don't actually do that once he's summoned though, we have better uses for his AP.)

I think the moratorium's over, guys.

Also, because I never commented on it, I find Velvet's disbelief at her level of intimidation absolutely hilarious. Even putting aside the fact that, yeah, she's probably one of the deadliest people alive—and most people don't know about her scar, so their estimation is even higher—Lores do tend to manifest as a weight of presence even to the uninitiated, and she has almost All-4.

Even someone unaware of her achievements would probably still be incredibly wary of meeting her in a dark alley and think she looks larger than life. Kind of hard not to be.

Sketching some plans on my phone, would appreciate if someone else can do the formatting. but I want to get the idea out there and some feedback.

[] Plan Bad to the Biedde
-[] (AotL) Grail for Comet Feet
-[] (Forge) Edge 3
-[] (Social) Level up Jade
-[] Fleeting Opportunity: Comet Feet
-[] Summon Biedde
—[] Sacrifice Edge 3 reagent
-[] Read books
—[] Forge 3, Forge 3, Canterlot Expedition
-[] Mansus Exploration
—[] Ashen Wastes, Ruined Church
-[] Social Filthy Rich

SH-maximizing with some conditionality.
[] Plan The Secretest of Histories
-[] (AotL) SH for Search
-[] (Forge) SH3
-[] Calling of Influence: SH
—[] Use SH 3 Reagent
—[] Do not use reroll
-[] SH Sacrament
-[] SH Sacrament (CONDITIONAL)
—[] If we still have our reroll, and at least a Level 3 Influence. Otherwise search for an Outsider.
-[] Search for an outsider

Last edited:
-[] (Forge) Edge 3
-[] Summon Biedde
-[] Read books
-[] Mansus Exploration
-[] Social Filthy Rich
What are you wanting for Mansus exploration? You get two locations to poke at per AP.

What are you wanting for Mansus exploration? You get two locations to poke at per AP.
Fair Question. Thinking Wastes and Outsider, but I'd love to know…
-[] There is no use in finding an Outsider if you do not have the means to extract its blood. But you suspect there is a place, at the summit of the Mansus, where things that should not perish have already died. (Costs one Mansus exploration action)
@OurLadyOfWires Sorry, What is the place that Velvet suspects she might want to visit? Is this the crater, a gate, something else? If Velvet has a suspicion, surely that's something we should know…

[] Plan Sacrament
-[] (AotL) Grail
-[] (Forge) SH2, for The calling of an influence
-[] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[] "The proper things, in the proper manner, in the proper order. God help us all." (Perform a Ritual)
--[] "The calling of Influence" (Secret Histories)
--[] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[] Study: Forge 3, Forge 3, Mystery Book
-[] Explore the Mansus
--[] Explore the Red Church
--[] [MANSUS] Tarrying in the Wastes is always a poor idea… but there is no other way to discover what this place holds. (Search for a new area)
-[] These are the skills that allow you to climb the Mansus. (Actions towards your possible Sacraments)
--[] Attempt, even if foolishly, to untangle the webs of the Secret Histories
---[] Investigate your current skills. To try to understand them, if nothing else. (Current progress 1/3) (THIS IS A DANGEROUS ACTION)

Figured I'd at least throw out an alternative plan that involves trying for our sacrament this turn. Dropped the Mare in Light and the second Manse expedition/teaching Jade from the other plans. I could go either way on what's dropped, just wasn't sure about having enough bits for the Mare in Light considering the other rituals and expedition. Same reason I stuck with a SH2 reagent instead of a SH3. Also considered exploring the shattered stairway, instead of the Waste. If bits allow, could summon the Mare and do the book next turn since there are chances to gain lore in the Mansus and the Sacrament.

[] Plan Business and Opportunities
-[] (AotL) Grail
-[] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[] (Forge) SH2, for Jade's RotT
-[] Summon a Mare-in-the-Light
--[] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[] Study: Forge 3, Forge 3, Mystery Book
-[] Social Filthy Rich
-[] Explore the Mansus
--[] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes
--[] Explore the depths of the Ruined Church

Okay, so first off all, I don't think that we should pass on Filthy Rich. Rarity should not be our only workhorse and money making machine. Ponyville is expanding and there should be some investment opportunities, and who can better direct us than most famous local oligarch. Even just Leashing him can benefit us, I think, since it likely means that Velvet will at least meet him and exchange few words with him and as good friend why should not he tell us where our money best spend? And as confidante he should be able to offer even better options. Plus why pass +1 follower.

For Mansus I am primary interested in Wastes, but I don't mind looking at Church if it is what people want.
Beddie is interesting, I would not be against voting for plan with him in it.

Also not very sure about Comet Feet. I still add him, since people seems resolved to meet him, but why do you think that he would be happy to know that Master is gone? We still don't know how he got into cult and what Master done to obtain his loyalty.

Last edited:
Well if moratorium is over...

[X] Plan Wake and Dream Old Ver.
-[X] (AotL) Grail
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] (Forge) SH2, for Jade's RotT
-[X] (Social) Level up Jade
-[X] Summon a Mare-in-the-Light
--[X] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[X] Fleeting Opportunity: Comet Feet
-[X] Study: Forge 3, Forge 3, Mystery Book
-[X] Search Canterlot for the Outsider (Progress: 0/200)
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes
--[X] Explore the depths of the Ruined Church

[X] Plan Mapping the Wastes Old Ver.
-[X] (AotL) Grail
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] Explore the Mansus (x2)
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes (3x)
--[X] Explore the depths of the Ruined Church
--[X] Any overflow from exploring the Ashen Wastes should go to finding a new location in the Shattered Stairways

I'll probably approval vote some plans later, but I'll give it a bit to see how the winds blow.

-[] (Forge) Edge 3
-[] Summon Biedde
-[] Read books
-[] Mansus Exploration
-[] Social Filthy Rich
I assume the Edge 3 reagent is for Biedde? You don't have it marked as a sacrifice for him.

Last edited:
So, uh… is there a reason none of you are actually voting? Moratorium ended at 10, since that was twelve hours after the update. You can put x's in the brackets now.
I persknally would love if Bird can answer some questions before I get voting. And I can't format my plans correctly because I'm on my phone!

Let focus on the thing we most need more actions. Getting Jade to the next level. Summoning Both Biedde, and a Mare in the Light, so we can properly work then into our plans in the future. Social Filthy Rich so we start working on our money income. And getting Forge up to 4 so we can up the family lores soon.

[x] Plan the most Charming Mare.
-[x] (AotL) Heart
-[x] (Social) Level up Jade
-[x] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[x] Summon Biedde
--x] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[x] Summon A Mare in the Light
--[x] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[x] Explore the Mansus
--[x] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes
-[x] Social Filthy Rich
-[x] Leash Filthy Rich.
-[x] Study: Forge 3, Forge 3, Mystery Book

[X] Plan Bright Mare Hired
-[X] (AotL) Edge(Comet Feet)
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about our reputation and how to make a more positive impression aka how to make sure ponies don't think we are a monster again(but not with those words)
-[X] [LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Explore the Red Church
--[X] The place where the Mansus was struck. You must explore it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back