• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Exalted 3E Discussion

enhanced-buzz-wide-11050-1427232511-17.jpg
I'm never going to think of the Ebon Dragon the same way again.

So, uh, I hit a minor writer's block, but Evocations in here arouses my writer-boner like there's no tomorrow, so I decide to make an artifact! I'll probably figure out the Evocations for it later, though.
Scattered Blossoms (Orichalcum and Green Jade Daiklave, Artifact •••••)
Once there was a Solar Exalt, who developed an obsession with cherry blossoms. Through his life in the First Age, he used sorcerous methods to convert a Wood-Aspect Demesne into a Demesne suited to cultivate that particular plant, all year long, before he raised a Garden-Manse on it. He would spend time in the enchanted Garden of Ten-Thousand-And-One Blossoms, admiring the scenery of cherries in full bloom and composing works of art underneath the largest, and most beautiful cherry tree, located in the center of the manse.

During the Usurpation, the Solar knew that his time has come to an end, and as such, instead of fighting to the bitter death, he composed a death poem, and thrust his blade into his heart, dying under his favored cherry tree…

When the Dragonblooded came for the Solar's head, they instead saw a mortal servant, who accommodated them, before she placed the severed head of her deceased master, smiling serenely even in death.

His would-be executioners celebrated in joy over one less Solar to murder, and in the garden they celebrated, with the mortal servant pouring them wine and serving them food, along with her services as a courtesan, with all that it entailed.

When at last the army of Dragonblooded collapsed in sexual exhaustion and inebriated from the wine and drugs consumed, the courtesan led them to their rooms, where they slept peacefully, never to awake again, as the mixture of certain drugs and wine and the bliss produced from the celebration turned their blood into a deadly neurotoxin, potent enough to affect even Exalts.

For the 'rooms' they were led into was actually the roots of each of the ten thousand cherry blossoms, one for each Dragon-Blooded, and two thousand per Elemental Aspect. They were absorbed into the trees, their life force mixing with the cherry blossoms the Solar once loved.

The courtesan dissolved, revealing the smiling visage of the hungry ghost of the ex-master of the Garden of Ten-Thousand-And-One Blossoms, his death avenged, before his spirit left to Lethe peacefully.

His lover, a Sidereal Chosen of Serenity, who secretly aligned herself with the Gold Faction, arrived moments later, knowing of her beloved's sacrifice, went to each of the trees and plucked a flowering branch from them within moments – the most beautiful ones –, and through her prowess, wove a glowing strand of cherry-pink, and hid herself – and the garden – from Creation, and indeed, even from her peers.

From the core, the Chosen of Serenity forged a sword, worthy of her dearly departed and the heir of his Exaltation, using the purest green jade and Damascus steel she can get her hands on, melting them in Essence-fueled flames carefully calibrated to her specifications. Year by year she worked, singing molten jade and Essence and wood together, her passionate songs even reaching to the little gods overseeing the creation of the blade, and they sang with her, for it was her intent that the strand that would one day be the core of Scattered Blossoms never be scorched nor scarred.

So delicate and laborious the process was that it took a millennium for the Sidereal to heat and cool the mixture of jade and steel and wood, leaving certain areas hollowed, as she then sang the strand of cherry-wood, now supercharged with Essence into the hollowed section of the blade and let it grow within its confines, even as she sang molten orichalcum, kept in stasis through sorcerous methods by her long-dead lover, slowly into the cherry-wood strand, grafting it with Solar power.

The process of incorporating a second magical material – a powerful one at that – was so complicated that it took the Sidereal another half a millennium to complete the process, and by the time she was done, the strand of cherry-wood had grown into a mighty tree, kept in check only by the unyielding property of wishmetal and sustained by the supernal Essence of both Wood and Solar aspects.

Finally, though curiously, Scattered Blossoms was quenched in a cherry blossom bath, the liquid being the sap gathered from a cherry tree planted on the same day as its forging and the petals the most beautiful scarlet, gathered from each and every cherry tree within the Garden-Manse, on the day of the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress, and deemed ready for battle.

That night, the Sidereal of the Chosen of Serenity re-appeared in Creation, seeking out the bearer of her dead lover's Exaltation…

Scattered Blossoms is a double-edged reaper daiklave, its viridian tip to hilt etched with golden Old Realm script, in which a death poem lamenting the short-lived beauty of the cherry blossoms can be read should one be allowed to examine it. Its guard is fashioned as a pair of flowering cherry blossoms, the hilt sprouting from the center of one and the blade the other side. This particular artifact deals with both the deadly elegance expected from a Solar swordsman, and the deadly beauty of Green Jade, its rapport with nature further enhanced by the properties of orichalcum, this time manifested as the ability to sprout the different breeds of cherry blossoms found in the Garden-Manse of Ten-Thousand-And-One Blossoms, each with different magical properties.

Scattered Blossoms boasts a single hearthstone socket, at the pommel of its blade.

It was still unknown on the true strength of the artifact, for it was literally fresh out from the forge.
Thoughts?

If anyone wants to make Evocations from it, please, be my guest.

Last edited:
Erm... you kind of need to know yourself what said artifact should do or some idea... otherwise, all you have is a fancy backstory. kinglugia

Erm... you kind of need to know yourself what said artifact should do or some idea... otherwise, all you have is a fancy backstory. kinglugia
Admittedly, it's a very fancy backstory. Though I think someone would have noticed a Sidereal dropping off the map for several thousand years. There's only twenty chosen of Serenity, it's not that hard to keep track.

Admittedly, it's a very fancy backstory. Though I think someone would have noticed a Sidereal dropping off the map for several thousand years. There's only twenty chosen of Serenity, it's not that hard to keep track.
Maybe it's magic, or maybe it's a Sorcery working which also involves the Loom of Fate, or maybe the Sidereal in question is under a Limit Break (yes, I know, it's a little too long for that, but just bear with it), or something else.

Maybe it's magic, or maybe it's a Sorcery working which also involves the Loom of Fate, or maybe the Sidereal in question is under a Limit Break (yes, I know, it's a little too long for that, but just bear with it), or something else.

Eh, I don't think you are supposed to take it literally. If it does happen as the fluff says, well, chalk it up to Exalted legendariness.

So, I'm having a bit of an... issue as it were. Perhaps just a gigantic brain fart.

What are the conditions of a Lunar Exaltation? I read the 2e book today, and all I can seem to process is how baller and versatile Luna is, and that she loves her Exalts. Maybe. If she could stop playing Advanced Gods and Giants with Sol and Gaia.

Solars get theirs when they need more. More strength, more courage, more purpose, more answers, more skill. Solar candidates are, or will be, badasses, who need the extra oomph for reasons.

Infernals are offered their bargain when they don't get that more, and fail at 'x' task. Candidates are the same as Solars.

Abyssals take their Last Breath when they trade away their previous life (by giving up their name) and servitude in exchange for life and power. When the Deathlords want to get shit done, they look for Solar/Infernal candidates, but sometimes its for reasons, like to see if the Black Exaltation will turn blue hair black.(That was mentioned in the Manual)

Sidereals are fated/destined/designed to Exalt. The candidates usually get kidnapped and trained up, sent to the event that is supposed to Exalt them and poof. Agent of Fate.

Dragonblooded are like mutants from Marvel. Put in a stressful enough situation, and with the correct amount of potential, they get the powers needed to rise to whatever expectations are placed on them. (Or does it spontaneously happen? Like 'shooting the shit with Jesse's girl and suddenly I'm on fire. Wewt! Mahm, Dahd,I egg-salted!' Salted Eggs. Dragons. Get it? :p)

What are Lunars? Like: 'I had to eat the Joneses because I'm the only one left in the village and I needed food, and there was nothing else. I showed a willingness to do what was needed to survive. Oh, look, Luna loves me.' Or are they Solar Candidates put into a different kind of shitty situation where they don't need forward momentum, they need lateral movement, but aren't quite sure how to do that? Then Luna swoops in as they try to move/think/do laterally and gives them what they needed to finish that movement?

Ah, you have made the great, unfortunate discovery about Lunars.

That is, their Exaltation conditions kinda don't make sense. By 2e, it's supposed to be that Lunars Exalt for surviving impossible situations, yes.

Solars triumph
Abyssals die
Infernals fail
Lunars survive

They endure the unendurable, take what the world throws at them and keep moving. Their exaltation is not a single glorious stand or an act of doing the right thing but once, of standing up and trying, but of constant effort and suffering, constant work to succeed. They persist where none other will, pushing themselves and struggling unceasingly.

Solars succeed and are glorious, infernals are haunted by their failures and their inadequacies, Abyssals have touched death and so bring it with them and Lunars have survived and they will not give up. They are tenacious.

A man who walked the desert by himself to bring medicine back to his suffering people, a child who put up with an abusive parent day in and day out, unable to get away but unwilling to abandon her other parent to the abuser's mercy.

In general, aside from Abyssals, alchemicals and maybe Infernals you can kinda make any exalt's exaltation criteria sub for any other type in 2e.

But ultimately solars triumph while Lunars endure and Sidereals/DBs are whatever but have special prior circumstances.

I hope Lunars get some love in 3e. The artwork and good hunks of the fluff in 2e made them seem really, really cool.

Has anything been said about them for 3e?

Off the top of my head, Deadly Beastman Transformation is coming back in some form. You can't use Evocations when in DBT. There's apparently 400~ Lunars running around. They've got the Caul.

Oh. And I remember an offhand remark from Morke that they've got a "majestic godbody."

You know what? Let me dig up some quotes;

They are going to be devastatingly badass in a fight. I am lining them up to be able to take on Infernals. I want a Lunar swordsman who is just as capable in a fight as a Lunar going full-time DBT. Lunar thematics will be more tightly focused on the dualism of a "good" person who has a monster inside, or a monster who has a good person inside. Rage, transformation, and shapeshifting will be much more strongly evinced in their narrative and their mechanics. (John Mørke)

Definite support for social, mysterious Lunars. Not so much illusions. A Lunar has the most majestic god-body ever. They are all about being seen. (John Mørke)

Also, the connection between Lunars and animals is Gaia. (John Mørke)

Particularly when you expand "Frankenstein" to "all tales of created life or unnatural outcasts are fair game for inspiration," and particularly when you expand "werewolf" to "all tales of bestial dualism, and all shapeshifting folklore of any kind." I mean, hardly anyone in America has ever even heard of them, but I could riff on African werehyena legends alone pretty much forever. (Holden)

But yeah, one of the advantages of having new Exalted around is that Lunars no longer have to encompass literally every shapeshifter ever. Instead, they get to be a specific type of shapeshifter, broad enough to contain a wide variety of concepts without being so broad they lose thematic coherence. And it's really important that Lunars get that coherence in 3e.

Point being, Lunars can borrow animal-based symbolism for their powers without being limited to that. (Chai Tea)

And the one I think is most interesting;

I think it makes perfect sense, assuming that 1) Lunar Charms are godbody Charms, and 2) that the body of a god is more than base flesh.

So, a Lunar might transform her mount or familiar not because she has the power to transform things, but because she can transform herself, and her most beloved companion is as much part of her as her arms or heart.
Or, conversely, she might have an iconic steed that she always rides, even when she rides something else (briefly turning any random mule into Sleipnir or Kintou'n).

Think of the vāhana of Hindu deities, which are less separate entities and more attributes and symbols of the riders; Luna riding the Silver-Horned Watcher, if you will.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ition/posts/1304119?ref=backer_project_update

EX3 Layout Proof PDF Sent To CCP For Review

Hello Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition Backers-

RichT here. We have handed in the PDF layout proof to CCP for review (and we are hoping approvals). CCP is the owner of the White Wolf properties and the folks who have graciously allowed Onyx Path the rights to create tabletop RPGs for those game lines.

I don't know how long their review will take, nor what their comments back will be. I expect that there will be some comments that require corrections in the book, but we'll have to see how extensive they wind up being.

Once we have those corrections from them, and we should expect some, and have fixed what they want, we will pull together the chapters into one PDF and get that out to you folks, our awesome backers.

That will be a PDF without an Index or a few of our usual PDF usability extras, as we're expecting to gather up your comments on the PDF and fix that errata before adding in those things which could change depending on the fixes. Your backer PDFs will be automatically updated with the fixes in your DTRPG libraries, so you don't have to do anything but grab the updated PDF from your library.

Below you will find some status updates on the EX3 projects currently being worked on - some will be projects from this Kickstarter and others are our regularly scheduled books. This list is from our weekly Monday Meeting Notes blog that I do on the Onyx Path website: www.theonyxpath.com. If you want weekly updates on these and other projects' progress, this is the place. Also, as I mentioned in a few Backer Updates last year, you can sign up on the website to join our Onyx Path Mailing List and get the Monday blog emailed right to you:

First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)

•Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)

Second Draft

•Arms of the Chosen (Exalted 3rd Edition)
•The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
•Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)

Proofing

•Exalted Anthology (Exalted 3rd Edition) - Awaiting updated text file.
•Ex 3 core book – RichT here: Maria is sending me the proofs tonight so I can get them sent over to CCP for approval. Again, no idea how long they will take, but we'll get the backer PDF links sent out as soon as we confirm that they are OK with the proofs (there might be a round of changes, but we won't know until it happens).

Meh. Still waiting for Fair Folk and Wyld in general. They made most sense, in being fun, of all 2edition anyway. Or reading their rules in GWM ate too much of my sanity points.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ition/posts/1387627?ref=backer_project_update

RichT here:

At last, all the corrections and PageXXs are input and approved, so Maria will be pulling together the backer PDF and then I'll send you the links for it.

This PDF will include the complete text, 2pg character sheet, and your backer credits. For those of you not familiar with how we handle things at this stage, we encourage our Kickstarter backers to review the text and your backer credits, and if you want to contact us with errata or name issues please send them via the "Contact Me" link next to my picture on the KS page. Because of the size of this project, we will only be compiling messages sent via that method.

Also, if you think your name is missing, please check your Survey response for which name you put there and review the names again. There are a lot of them, and they are in small type, so they are easy to miss. Generally the credits go in order from the smallest Reward Tier pledge amount to the largest.

This PDF will not include the Index or hyperlinks or bookmarks as we want to put them in once we've input any errata and not try to fix them afterwards. We hope that this first backer PDF will also have the finished PDF/PoD cover on it when we send it this week, but if not, rest assured that we are not waiting for the final cover art in order to send this to you.

Once we assemble and implement fixes, we will re-upload the EX3 PDF and you should be able to easily re-download it from DriveThruRPG via your Library there. Then we'll create the PoD and both Deluxe versions of EX3.

Of course, all this is just preparatory info which I will repeat with the actual link message, which we intend to be later this week.

Thank you for your support and patience!

Really disappointed about the art. Some illustrations are quite nice, others are... ugh. Here I was thinking "I'm going to wow my players showing them that"... Well, I'll have to be careful about which ones I show.

YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!

I'm not a backer, and I've never peeped the leaks, so more impressions would be great.

Really disappointed about the art. Some illustrations are quite nice, others are... ugh. Here I was thinking "I'm going to wow my players showing them that"... Well, I'll have to be careful about which ones I show.
What does "ugh" mean and careful in what way?

Careful in that it may cause disappointment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back