• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Make a Contract With Me! [Lag Backup Thread]

One more month will get us a huge stockpile of grief seeds and some excellent training. Grief seeds are important. They mean we can outright power through anything our enemy tries.

Vindictus said:
Actually, IIRC it's 'Violence should be guided by observation'.

How did you get it confused with the inverse of Discretion? ???
Possibly. Doesn't help that I can't access the thread to double check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robotninja said:
One more month will get us a huge stockpile of grief seeds and some excellent training. Grief seeds are important. They mean we can outright power through anything our enemy tries.

Not really, it's not like they're powering a shield for us, Grief seeds are helpful to have but i'm very skeptical that any fight with Tetsu is going to last long enough to run through our current energy whichever way it goes. On the training, as has already been mentioned diminishing returns are beginning to kick in and not all the lessons we learn will be applicable to mage vs. mage combat either.

Robotninja said:
We already have enough energy for running dry not to be a concern.
130 Energy lasts us for several hours of serious fighting while using special bullets whenever necessary.
And since we're a glass cannon there is no real way we are going to be fighting for hours.
Even having to fight multiple times is not going to drain us much.
Literally the only way we could possibly run dry on energy is if we had to use our contingency magic multiple times.
As it is we have enough energy to use it at least two times without starting to run low and could even probably squeeze out a third and still be safe and given how much of a game changer the contingency magic is and how ridiculously hard it would be to push us that far in the first place I highly expect the battle to be done by then.
And all of this not even going into the fact that we couldn't stock much more energy at once anyways, which means the additional Grief Seeds would only come into play if we failed to bring the battle to a decisive end and somehow managed to waste huge amounts of energy multiple times, in spite of the fact that we are very unsuited to both doing and taking damage that is not critical.

I'm wanting to clear out Aokigahara more because it'll deny resources to others, than for our own personal need.

Not that a bunch of High Capacity grief seeds wouldn't be useful in a drawn out campaign in an area barren of Witches.

I have no idea who those others are, just that it would be better for us to claim them than someone else.

One thing to consider - even if killing Tetsu unsupported wouldn't be overly difficult, that might not be the end of our problems. Unless we can make a quick, clean kill of it (no way to guarantee that, against someone optimized for direct combat. Not dying when they ought to is what they do), he's going to Lich out (something we've never seen happen, but which cannot possibly be good), right in the middle of a densely populated area and right on top of an existential hazard.
Maybe I'm jumping at shadows, but this looks like the mother of all clusterfucks waiting to happen.
Thoughts?

Crypsis said:
One thing to consider - even if killing Tetsu unsupported wouldn't be overly difficult, that might not be the end of our problems. Unless we can make a quick, clean kill of it (no way to guarantee that, against someone optimized for direct combat. Not dying when they ought to is what they do), he's going to Lich out (something we've never seen happen, but which cannot possibly be good), right in the middle of a densely populated area and right on top of an existential hazard.
Maybe I'm jumping at shadows, but this looks like the mother of all clusterfucks waiting to happen.
Thoughts?

So we need to train, acquire XP, get Lv.2/3 Arsenal (I forget which gives R/C), and lead his ass into the industrial district.

Crypsis said:
Thoughts?

It'll be easy to kill him.

Easy being relative to the Puella Magi that shows up after learning her boyfriend was killed. >:D

TheOtherSandman said:
I'm wanting to clear out Aokigahara more because it'll deny resources to others, than for our own personal need.

Not that a bunch of High Capacity grief seeds wouldn't be useful in a drawn out campaign in an area barren of Witches.

I have no idea who those others are, just that it would be better for us to claim them than someone else.

Our main goal in life right now is to kill Tetsu, why should we care about denying resources to some other random people that may not even exist or may not even particularly care about said resources if they do. Especially considering if we choose the deathblow strike we could hop back over to Aokigahara in like two days and start farming them then. It simply seems like a mis-categorization of priorities to me in any case.

TheOtherSandman said:

All of the other options take at most 1-2 weeks.
Given that Aokigahara is a very though place to try taking on, I highly doubt that it's going to get cleared out anytime soon and arguing to do so now just because some unknown characters who don't even have anything to do with us might get their hands on those Seeds is ridiculous.

We swore to kill Tetsu no matter what.
Even if it meant running out of energy or dying, we were perfectly willing to accept those consequences as long as Tetsu dies first.

Who may get their hands on those Grief Seeds or whether there will be enough left in Aokigahara to supply us afterwards is quite frankly irrelevant.
The only thing that matters to us is whether or not Tetsu dies and sacrificing so much time when we have very good chances of getting him now before he can get Magi subordinates and entrench himself is the height of futility.

In any case I think I'll go to sleep now, so don't take it wrong if I stop answering.
Good night everyone.

Valid points.

And you going to sleep just as the forum un-derps is rather funny.

Since Recon is only 1-2 weeks, perhaps afterwards we could go Big Game Hunting in the Forest of Death to prepare for our assault and squeeze in a little last minute training.

That's the worst choice possible. THe intel will get out of date.

Robotninja said:
That's the worst choice possible. THe intel will get out of date.

That depends on how long we leave for.
If it's just a rush job to find a witch or to look for Kyoko, then it shouldn't take more than a couple days.

TheOtherSandman said:
That depends on how long we leave for.
If it's just a rush job to find a witch or to look for Kyoko, then it shouldn't take more than a couple days.

We can probably take regular trips back to Tokyo to update our intel if we want to go for longer as well.

Lag's back, what a surprise.

Rihaku, you mentioned wanting to try another forum with traffic comparable to SB? I think your best bet would be the Roleplay-By-Post Forum at forum.rpg.net

It shows up once you're registered at the site, it's pretty good on traffic, and while there's no Quests there that I can see, it doesn't look like it'd be hard to move things over. Just set the OOC thread up for decisions and voting, and the IC thread up same as the story-only threads.

Maybe post in the Recruitment Forum first to gather attention and make sure it'd be kosher.

I should probably mention that the only merging I expect Tetsu and Walpurgisnacht to do is him getting digested. It seems most likely to me that he'll get desperate from the local witch scarcity, and try to kill the circus in their sleep like an idiot. And the only way we currently have to deal with an awake Walpurgisnacht unleashes the even worse problem of Kremhild Gretchen.

You know, it's possible that with our abilities we could hunt down all the cores of Walpurgis and kill her.

I feel the logic behind the "since all the stat options are balanced Perception II will definitely be good" reasoning a bit flawed. Firstly as we've already seen with Stamina gains in other areas can negate some of the advantages of stats. Secondly not all stats are equally good in all areas even if they were generally balanced. In this sense I find taking Perception II and expecting it to definitely be comparably useful compared to known quantities we have access to be taking gambling unreasonably far. I don't feel we have the margin to do that kind of thing right now.

Thomasfoolery said:
I feel the logic behind the "since all the stat options are balanced Perception II will definitely be good" reasoning a bit flawed. Firstly as we've already seen with Stamina gains in other areas can negate some of the advantages of stats. Secondly not all stats are equally good in all areas even if they were generally balanced. In this sense I find taking Perception II and expecting it to definitely be comparably useful compared to known quantities we have access to be taking gambling unreasonably far. I don't feel we have the margin to do right now.

I can guess that, but assuming that "Well, Rihaku's explicitly set up the stat we put two of our precious stat-points in so that the "Secret" version is a waste of our time to work on for grins and giggles" is a bit much.

Each of our Stats ties directly into an attribute of our weapon. Perception 2 is likely going to be something exotic, and likely to become more detectable when we actually raise it a rank above our "Normal" perception.

Alectai said:
I can guess that, but assuming that "Well, Rihaku's explicitly set up the stat we put two of our precious stat-points in so that the "Secret" version is a waste of our time to work on for grins and giggles" is a bit much.

Each of our Stats ties directly into an attribute of our weapon. Perception 2 is likely going to be something exotic, and likely to become more detectable when we actually raise it a rank above our "Normal" perception.

Also my thought, if it ranks up it should have a visible change. Maybe it'll give us a Heart Beat Sensor, or Infa-Red vision add-on. Maybe it'll give us a sonar screen.

Be creative! Perception two additions to our weapon could be quite useful!

That's a good point.

Whatever our Perception 2 might be, it's entirely possible that It didn't exist in WW2

So if it's something like sonar, or something realtively "recent", we might not be able to see what it does until Rank 2.

LightMage said:
Also my thought, if it ranks up it should have a visible change. Maybe it'll give us a Heart Beat Sensor, or Infa-Red vision add-on. Maybe it'll give us a sonar screen.

Be creative! Perception two additions to our weapon could be quite useful!
If my guess about scientific knowledge is correct, it could have the weapon be made of lighter and/or stronger materials, engineered to be more compact, and at higher levels look all sci-fi.

Alectai said:
That's a good point.

Whatever our Perception 2 might be, it's entirely possible that It didn't exist in WW2

So if it's something like sonar, or something realtively "recent", we might not be able to see what it does until Rank 2.

Hey it might even give us a H.U.D built into our rifle. Giving us even more accurate info, "Scan" our foes, radar, and Map function.
Future tech! Of course the H.U.D idea seems like it'll be around level 4 or 5 for Perception 2.

Alectai said:

A waste? Almost certainly not. Not suited for advancing the task of killing Tetsu? Very possible. I agree it's likely to be something exotic, but in my mind that's all the more reason we shouldn't go for it right now since its nature could easily lend itself to narrow specializations that are potent in their area but weaker elsewhere. So rather aim for things we know will work

Alectai said:
That's a good point.

*Head desk*

I can't believe we didn't think of that sooner. Man we're dumb sometimes.

Deadly Snark said:
*Head desk*

I can't believe we didn't think of that sooner. Man we're dumb sometimes.

It's not a guarantee, but if it's an "Effect that was not effectively developed until closer to modern times", then the Rank 1 version (Which is scaled at "Stuff that was possible in WW1/2 weapons") would be so minor that we'd never notice it. While a Rank 2 version is more likely to be developed enough to make do.

It could be something cool like remote-viewing (Drone bullets that we shoot at targets, and can then see through them later?), or something crazy like a health-scan (We get a grasp on the target's remaining energy/health/whatnot). One of the big things is that Informational Warfare didn't become the top-dog compared to numbers, courage, and training until fairly recently. So Rank 1 might very well just be our impeccable battle-sense. Our "Veteran's Instincts" that Mami noticed.

Alectai said:
That's a good point.

I said that a while back!

Or at least I'm pretty sure I said it, might have been one of the posts that got eaten during the lag though.

This lag is just... absurd. 822 word reaction posted in the main thread.

At this rate, Rihaku might have to update either tomorrow or on this thread.

It seems like SB moderation is doing something about the lag now, hopefully this lag storm will blow over T_T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back