• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

One Rabid Fox changes the Succession Wars [A Battletech Isekai]

The Hells Horses unit has made me kind of snicker since they were first introduced. From a doctrine/tactics perspective Hells Horses and Steel Viper were just, better, than most of the other Clans. Their leadership just seemed to carry the idiot ball a little too often in Canon. But led by someone competent I expect they'll outperform the Dragoons in combined arms engagements.

The Hells Horses unit has made me kind of snicker since they were first introduced. From a doctrine/tactics perspective Hells Horses and Steel Viper were just, better, than most of the other Clans. Their leadership just seemed to carry the idiot ball a little too often in Canon. But led by someone competent I expect they'll outperform the Dragoons in combined arms engagements.
probably not by this period. the dragoons have too much practical experience against foes who also use combined arms

What would be more useful to the March Militia, given Henry is also ramping up tank production? Just as much as can be spared for them, whatever it might be. Or tank focused with concentrated Mech units to back-stop them?

What would be more useful to the March Militia, given Henry is also ramping up tank production? Just as much as can be spared for them, whatever it might be. Or tank focused with concentrated Mech units to back-stop them?
Honestly not sure. I think for periphery March miltias they need lift and aerospace assets above all else and probably mechs above tanks in terms of needed stuff. If nothing else they can get the assorted meh tanks as good enough for the area or at least serviceable. Especially since Quikscell has a decently sized plant on Point Barrow. Also for fusion powered tanks I suspect frontline and high tier units will have dibs options for a long time to come.
Perhaps using the LCT model in the sense of putting 3 or so of them plus attached RCT level assets as a March milita Unit especially out in the Periphery/Outback where flexibility is needed above all else due to their foes being overwhelmingly pirates and the like might work.

Last edited:
Okay that makes more sense as a cover. You'd mentioned ELH troops or officers being around Henry and my mind carried me over to the Fed Suns intel people cataloging the new troops and maybe hearing or seeing enough to piece together a 19th Strikers connection. Claiming Henry's….faction? Is descended from disparate SLDF remnants with some still wearing the 19th army patch would work pretty well. The only issue with any cover Henry uses is that he has several different cultural groups working for him.
Coming back to this, since I am planning to update tomorrow, it occurs to me that its actually not unreasonable to have the intended association with the 19th Striker Regiment, that was what I was intending, but then have other people, ComStar, the Combine, the Dragoons all looking at it and going 'oh fuck Kerensky's people', or in the Dragoons case making the 'Clan Hells Horse' ID more broadly than is accurate which would be a problem.

For the next few chapters not really an issue, travel times and communication being limitted, but in the future that could be a problem.

Anyways. Any requests for new designs in terms of themes? Like say MBTs, interceptors, ect

Also on another note. I'm semi surprised Henry wasn't basically buried alive in gold diggers both on his fief and especially on New Avalon.

Anyways. Any requests for new designs in terms of themes? Like say MBTs, interceptors, ect

Also on another note. I'm semi surprised Henry wasn't basically buried alive in gold diggers both on his fief and especially on New Avalon.
They weren't really on New Avalon that long, and there was really no social notice given, As Alexandria internally notes the sudden and blase use of the circuit is unusual

As for designs, I never really know what would be best for ASF so I'm always open to suggestions

They weren't really on New Avalon that long, and there was really no social notice given, As Alexandria internally notes the sudden and blase use of the circuit is unusual

As for designs, I never really know what would be best for ASF so I'm always open to suggestions
suns probably need more light dogfighters (wangker and the tommahawk is a viable option long term) and honestly just more ASFs in general
the whole just 3 sites that presently make ASFs. 4 if Sakhara is making any yet.
maybe a modernized centurion ASF( which spec wise on tabletop is solid but it needs in universe minor upgrades) since they stopped making that and sold the license to the lyrans. maybe the tooling but not sure.
other things that could be useful would be stuff like a modifed ironsides (whose last plant is mothballed on carver V due to no DHS and the like). Another option is a slight modification of the W10 chippewa variant to drop the armor a tad to add 1 heat sink and make the 2 aft small lasers mediums. well that or drop the SRM-6 for said heat sink, aft medium lasers, a ton of armor, and a forward medium laser.
I'll play around with some designs and dig up some I have laying around.

Last edited:
suns probably need more light dogfighters (wangker and the tommahawk is a viable option long term) and honestly just more ASFs in general
the whole just 3 sites that presently make ASFs. 4 if Sakhara is making any yet.
maybe a modernized centurion ASF( which spec wise on tabletop is solid but it needs in universe minor upgrades) since they stopped making that and sold the license to the lyrans. maybe the tooling but not sure.
other things that could be useful would be stuff like a modifed ironsides (whose last plant is mothballed on carver V due to no DHS and the like). Another option is a slight modification of the W10 chippewa variant to drop the armor a tad to add 1 heat sink and make the 2 aft small lasers mediums. well that or drop the SRM-6 for said heat sink, aft medium lasers, a ton of armor, and a forward medium laser.
Is there a good light dogfighter that can be made with the 240 engine? or 200

EDIT: Durr (no coffee today) the centurion is a 240

The Fed Suns make perfectly good fighters. The Centurion, Sparrowhawk, Stuka, Thunderbird, and Corsair. All of those designs produced in more numbers would MASSIVELY help. If Henry can get production runs of SLDF Royal models as well it would be game changing when it comes to defending and attacking planets.

a bunch of the older ASF designs I've made

Enyo ENY-01
Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
----------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+
Tech Rating: D/X-X-X-D

Weight: 80 tons
BV: 1,804
Cost: 4,474,120 C-bills

Movement: 5/8
Engine: 240 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 22
Fuel Points: 0/400 (5.0 tons)

Structural Integrity: 8
Armor: 280
----------------------------------
Armor
Nose 84
Left Wing 70
Right Wing 70
Aft 56
--------------------------------
Weapons Loc Heat
LRM 20 NOS 6
Large Laser RWG 8
Large Laser LWG 8
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Medium Laser AFT 3

---------------------------
Ammo Loc Shots
LRM 20 Ammo FSLG 6
LRM 20 Ammo FSLG 6
LRM 20 Ammo FSLG 6
basically a mini stuka

Athena
----------------------------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3145+

Weight: 90 tons
BV: 2,088
Cost: 5,205,355 C-bills

Engine: 270 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 19

Structural Integrity: 9
Armor: 408
---------------------------------------
Armor
Nose 123
Left Wing 102
Right Wing 102
Aft 81
------------------------------------------
Weapons Loc Heat
AC/20 NOS 7
Large Laser LWG 8
Large Laser RWG 8
Medium Laser AFT 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
---------------------------------------------
Ammo Loc Shots
AC/20 Ammo FSLG 5
AC/20 Ammo FSLG 5
AC/20 Ammo FSLG 5
a heavy dropper chopper with a lot of armor

Bellona BEL-3N
-----------------------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3145+

Weight: 80 tons
BV: 1,663
Cost: 4,763,453 C-bills

Movement: 6/9
Engine: 320 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 22

Armor: 280
--------------------------------------
Armor
Nose 84
Left Wing 70
Right Wing 70
Aft 56
----------------------------------------
Weapons Loc Heat
PPC LWG 10
PPC RWG 10
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
basically a PPC Slayer

Minerva MIV-A1
-------------------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3145+

Weight: 45 tons
BV: 1,143
Cost: 2,537,526 C-bills

Movement: 8/12
Engine: 270 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 10

Armor: 184
---------------------------------------
Armor
Nose 56
Left Wing 46
Right Wing 46
Aft 36
-----------------------------------
Weapons Loc Heat
PPC NOS 10
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
a fast dogfighter design

Flying Wolfhound
---------------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+
Tech Rating: D/X-E-D-D

Weight: 35 tons
BV: 988
Cost: 1,887,461 C-bills

Movement: 8/12
Engine: 210 Fusion

Armor: 144
------------------------------------
Armor
Nose 50
Left Wing 33
Right Wing 33
Aft 28
Weapons Loc Heat
Large Laser NOS 8
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
what is it is in the name

Dauntless DAU-3T
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+

Weight: 100 tons
BV: 1,911
Cost: 6,469,500 C-bills

Engine: 300 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 21

Structural Integrity: 10
Armor: 304
Armor
Nose 92
Left Wing 76
Right Wing 76
Aft 60
Weapons Loc Heat
AC/20 NOS 7
SRM 6 NOS 4
SRM 6 NOS 4
PPC LWG 10
PPC RWG 10
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
----------------------------
Ammo Loc Shots
AC/20 Ammo FSLG 5
AC/20 Ammo FSLG 5
AC/20 Ammo FSLG 5
SRM 6 Ammo FSLG 15
SRM 6 Ammo FSLG 15
meant to be a better and less ammo dependent Riever

Wildcat WDC-6T
-------------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+

Weight: 60 tons
BV: 1,422
Cost: 3,245,580 C-bills
Source: TRO 3039 - Star League

Heat Sinks: 15
Fuel Points: 400 (5.0 tons)

Structural Integrity: 6
Armor: 216
------------------------------
Armor
Nose 65
Left Wing 54
Right Wing 54
Aft 43
Weapons Loc Heat
PPC NOS 10
LRM 15 NOS 5
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Ammo Loc Shots
LRM 15 Ammo FSLG 8
LRM 15 Ammo FSLG 8
Basically a 60 ton Shilone that's more balanced.

Mustang MST-2G
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+

Weight: 60 tons
BV: 1,423
Cost: 3,072,680 C-bills

Heat Sinks: 16

Armor: 248
Armor
Nose 74
Left Wing 62
Right Wing 62
Aft 50
Weapons Loc Heat
Large Laser NOS 8
Large Laser NOS 8
SRM 6 NOS 4
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Ammo Loc Shots
SRM 6 Ammo FSLG 15
A 60 ton dogfighter

Warhawk
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+
Tech Rating: D/X-X-D-D

Weight: 70 tons
BV: 1,617
Cost: 4,095,045 C-bills

Engine: 280 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 15

Structural Integrity: 7
Armor: 240
Armor
----------------------------------------
Nose 70
Left Wing 60
Right Wing 60
Aft 50
Weapons Loc Heat
PPC NOS 10
LRM 20 NOS 6
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Ammo Loc Shots
LRM 20 Ammo FSLG 6
LRM 20 Ammo FSLG 6
LRM 20 Ammo FSLG 6
basically slightly bigger wildcat that uses said mass to have a LRM-20 vs a LRM-15 albeit at the expense of a half ton of armor.

Ironsides IRN-SD4
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+

Weight: 65 tons
BV: 1,342
Cost: 3,463,970 C-bills
Source: TRO 3050u - Star League

Engine: 260 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 16
Fuel Points: 400 (5.0 tons)

Armor: 216
-----------------------------------
Armor
Nose 65
Left Wing 54
Right Wing 54
Aft 43
Weapons Loc Heat
Large Laser NOS 8
Large Laser NOS 8
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
SRM 6 NOS 4
SRM 6 LWG 4
SRM 6 RWG 4
Ammo Loc Shots
SRM 6 Ammo FSLG 15
SRM 6 Ammo FSLG 15
A introtech ironsides variant

Last edited:
Good lord all of those are NASTY. In universe any of those would get you a license to print money if you could build them in number, especially in the Commonwealth.

Everything from the Flying Wolfhound down is very much my speed lol.

Good lord all of those are NASTY. In universe any of those would get you a license to print money if you could build them in number, especially in the Commonwealth.

Everything from the Flying Wolfhound down is very much my speed lol.
I should have at least a few more introtech ASF designs laying around its just a long trawl to hunt them down since I usually don't store the files once I post them over to the Bruce Quest discord's server skunk works channel since I make most of them on a lark. And for some dumb reason I'm semi kicking myself over I forgot to write down their names so I can do a basic search.
As for the assorted names it's basically me in different thought patterns at the time. Or a variant of a canon design in the case of the ironsides. For these designs its mostly a mix of goddesses and American WWII aircraft designs for their name inspirations.
I do need a name for the flying wolfhound if anyone has one though.

perhaps ironically wolf hound works, since I had planned to have Night Hawk production resume with the wolf hound load out using the 210
True but I wanted a ya know original name in universe.
Hmmmm Starhound perhaps?
Also by this point I think the lyrans are already developing the wolf hound if only in the beginning stages.

Hmmmm
Yeah might be. Was tempted mind you. But hound is so it's named partially after Ian's nickname
So according to sarna the wolf hound was developed after the hatchetman was completed. I know that doesn't really address the problem

Greyhound, deerhound elkhound, etc

Last edited:
On another note I had a brilliant thought for a evolution of a no longer in production ASF design that being the Rogue. Which if you keep the engine size as a FE 200 and increase the tonnage from 40 to 50 you can basically make it the equivalent of a flying Fusilier just with a Aft medium laser to complement the 4 forward firing ones and 1 additonal ton of armor.
Makes for just about the perfect compliment to the lightnings and corsair and really any dogfighter already in production in the suns or in AFFS inventories and honestly in general.

Last edited:
Name :
Wolfen or Wolphen

MacTíre a Galic term for wolf (mac tíre in Irish means Son of the Land)

Hound, might be a good play as Ian is still alive.

Fox, toss old Hanse a bone.

Loup-Garou, French for wolfman.

Louvetier, French Wolf cub

Renegade
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+
Weight: 50 tons
BV: 1,235
Cost: 2,672,708 C-bills
Engine: 200 Fusion
Armor: 168
Armor
Nose 55
Left Wing 40
Right Wing 40
Aft 33
Weapons Loc Heat
LRM 15 RWG 5
LRM 15 LWG 5
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser NOS 3
Medium Laser RWG 3
Medium Laser LWG 3
Medium Laser AFT 3
Ammo Loc Shots
LRM 15 Ammo FSLG 8
LRM 15 Ammo FSLG 8
LRM 15 Ammo FSLG 8
LRM 15 Ammo FSLG 8
Basically a slower fatter rogue which use the extra mass for assorted improvements like 2 tons more ammo, 3 more medium lasers, and 5 tons of additional armor albeit its not Ferro-Aluminum.

as for the lack of fluff for the ASF designs...shrugs I'll maybe do it later if needed.

Last edited:
Sakhara 3.2
Sakhara 3.2
The Tuesday lectures had been more of the same, up until they'd been told today's exercises were supposed to help prepare them for exercises at the end of the month, which was fast approaching "AH, fuck," Justin hissed as his restraints arrested his momentum. The Battle Company fought like an avalanche, they had boxed his lance in and pummeled them to the point his simulated gyro overloaded and pitched him sideways. The simulator was a pain in the ass, and tried to force the computer to let him stand up his mech, but another wave of blistering LRM fire flashed. The incoming fire warning went silent as his screen went black.

The simulator pod reset and he leaned back, grumbling to himself as he worked the harness loose, before rotating his sore arm.

He couldn't console himself that they'd at least heavily damaged the company again. Oh sure that was true, but he hadn't been expecting six Trenchbuckets to floor it once they'd wiped out the only mechs that could hope to physically catch them.

That was part of where his mistake had been was losing any outrider to warn them of an enemy maneuver before they were right on top of them... even if some of that was just the limitations of the simulators and their fake battle space.

"Fuck," One of his lancemates grunted all but falling out of his own pod, "And that was without any of the new mechs too." ...that detail hadn't escaped Justin either, having to contend with a jumping seventy tonner in the canyon map would have been a mess.

"Stop talking," Clay growled coming around the corner, "Go to the debrief room, and start writing what you think happened, and where you went wrong. Go." He gestured towards the door. Justin wasn't surprised that they weren't the first ones in here, he'd seen the sensor returns in the simulator disappear as the conflict had gone on... but the number of people strongly suggested the class had lost.

He'd expected that, but he didn't have to like it... what was worse was that his lance mate was right how would they have done against other machines ... probably not better.

Henry checked the display, but they were still waiting on final scores... which really meant they were waiting for a final review from the other instructors. This wasn't the first time the cadets had run this map of course, but the decision to do so had been at the insistence of other instructors ...

--
A few hours later Henry punched up the diagrams. Sakhara had been an SLDF paradigm school, that was to say it had been founded to produce cadets fit to serve in the SLDF and it still retained a corpus of material that dated to the Star League which weren't really applicable to the armies of the modern inner sphere. They were slightly more applicable to his own house troops, but that wasn't the lesson he was trying to drive home per se.

"The Terran Hegemony made the decision fairly early on to simplify logistical foot prints in army units by consolidating on a number of front line designs, and by establishing standardized formations around battlemech weight classes." That was to say generally at company level all machines were the same model.

The Battle Company that he frequently used against the cadets had League pilots at their core, but the formation while built around a common logistics basis and weight and with a degree of uniformity wasn't an original SLDF formation.

A series of diagrams unfolded. "No one expects your class to fight a significantly larger formation than your own on your own. What that actually means is that while simulated lance mates are never as particularly intelligent or as effective in responding to a changing battlefield, on graduation you will be commissioned as second lieutenants in the AFFS. So what we will be doing is immersing you into the expanded combat simulation. Where each of you is commanding a lance, now this will not strictly speaking be particularly realistic at least in some ways."

Justin must have done the mental math, and realized they were going to be fighting a massed combined arms formation, because he groaned looking at the charts.

Don Juan had other interests in the chart, "That says experimental, so we're fighting the new BattleMechs this time am I right?"

"You are indeed." Henry replied. The class's square company expanded turning from the roster of cadets into pips with space for three mechs underneath their listed 'mech. That put them as an over strength Battalion by default. "Ordinarily this would be run against the Rangers, and you will play against them at a later date. This weekend however we will be focusing on putting you against a combined arms task force. This is intended to give you somewhat more hands on experience with the tactical aspect of wider operations, the war gaming you will do with pen and paper over the next few months is to ground in the costs and realities of maintaining forces in the field... this is to look at what happens when there are a hundred plus combatant units are active in an engagement. This is organized chaos, as you will know doubt experience first hand."

The table for the opposing force was left up. He had decided ahead of time not to use the Shogun in his line up, which Coleridge hadn't objected to when he had put a response forward to the Vice Chanellor's 'suggestion'. He had also made the decision not to include the Zoryas in the line for other reasons. Leaving the Falchion off had been an easy enough decision

The Cataphract, and Longswords would have been the main focus of the force, what the cadets were not likely going to enjoy was that while they had a larger margin than in the normal games all of his 'mech lances would be outfitted, paired with a pair of ASF, which no one seemed to have commented on at this stage. They would all be slantbacks for simplicity sake he wasn't going to field death stalkers, the F 77, against the cadets.

A single binary worth of tanks was being borrowed from the RAC with probably predictable contingent of demolishers and shreks. The cadets might well have been taking that too in stride, it did remind him though that he needed to handle familiarization with some of hte other tank designs being worked on in conjunction with the lighter machines, BattleMechs.

Two Fusiliers, Two Rifleman -P, two more slantbacks. Two Cataphract, Two Longswords, two more F 90. 1 Centurion, 1 Alecto, 1 Sentry, 1 Antares two more birds for the nest. Two companies of 'Mechs total. Twelve ASF

Alexandria raised her pen, "Is this the prototype Centurion?"

"Its not," He replied, "The 9AP variant Mitchell will be running is distinct but isn't carrying the MML 3 Launchers you saw on New Avalon." The comment attracted looks.

Still no one commented on the twenty eighty ton tanks. He supposed some of that might well have been a result of this morning's simulation and having the terrain turned against them. The last lance was more of a demonstration of the Sentry and Antares, but also to facilitate using the mixed lance as a blocking force and ... depending on how things went as a tactical close air support controller element.

The other matter was that the cadets would be facing all human opponents, not digital simulations of hostiles... not occasionally bone headed AI. This would in all likelihood turn into a centerline mech slug fest... but...

"Do we know where we're going to be fighting?" Another cadet asked.

"Do you know where we're going to be fighting?" Some one else asked.

He shook his head, "Colonel Coleridge hasn't announced a battle map at this time." There were only so many he could pick from in the simulator, but thus far Henry hadn't been told so he didnt' even know if the vice chancellor had selected one. "It gives you time to prepare. You should have packets of your lance composition in your emails by the end of the day."

Which was another thing he'd yet to be told either, but that was okay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back