• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

One Rabid Fox changes the Succession Wars [A Battletech Isekai]

Honestly given we see stuff like the black knight specifically designed as company command mechs I personally suspect the every mech in a company rule being the same probably died in the reunification war where it proved too inflexible in combat

Honestly given we see stuff like the black knight specifically designed as company command mechs I personally suspect the every mech in a company rule being the same probably died in the reunification war where it proved too inflexible in combat
The issue with purpose built command mechs is that they should draw fire like nothing else. You're broadcasting who to target to remove command and control.

The issue with purpose built command mechs is that they should draw fire like nothing else. You're broadcasting who to target to remove command and control.
it indeed is a problem. also a reason why most inner sphere command mechs are given a lot of armor and/or firepower(looking at you cyclops for having low armor ) and are save 3 notable exceptions (mongoose, wolverine, and phoenix hawk) all heavy and assault mechs.

Last edited:
it indeed is a problem. also a reason why most inner sphere command mechs are given a lot of armor and/or firepower(looking at you cyclops for having low armor ) and are save 3 notable exceptions (mongoose, wolverine, and phoenix hawk) all heavy and assault mechs.
So the Cyclops is honestly the best of the lot. It's intended for high level command, with a mega powerful comand and control computer. It's not supposed to fight anything. It's a heavy armed and armored command HQ van with legs. The CP-10-Q and the later refits that take out the misplaced AC-20 are all great.

Basically if you're a brigade or divisional commander, something like a Cyclops makes sense because it provides a relatively safe mobile bunker in the rear. If you're commanding a lance or company, you are going to have to engage with your mech. Being in a notable command mech in that case gets you singled out.

Also the Wolverine as a command mech is fine, you can run lances or even companies of Wolverines and they are reasonably fine. I'd likely mix a couple jump capable missile support mechs on the company level, but you can manage without.

So the Cyclops is honestly the best of the lot. It's intended for high level command, with a mega powerful comand and control computer. It's not supposed to fight anything. It's a heavy armed and armored command HQ van with legs. The CP-10-Q and the later refits that take out the misplaced AC-20 are all great.

Basically if you're a brigade or divisional commander, something like a Cyclops makes sense because it provides a relatively safe mobile bunker in the rear. If you're commanding a lance or company, you are going to have to engage with your mech. Being in a notable command mech in that case gets you singled out.

Also the Wolverine as a command mech is fine, you can run lances or even companies of Wolverines and they are reasonably fine. I'd likely mix a couple jump capable missile support mechs on the company level, but you can manage without.
I think the cyclops needs more armor and given its role probably could have used a lot better tech like say a XL engine. and yeah the wolverine and phoenix hawk are fine command mechs to use on the frontlines given how many are running around even in the 3000s which prevents people from focusing them down. Ditto the archer which also works well in a command role via being able to camp behind a hill nice and safe. This also semi applies to the marauder since it can stay at range if not firing indirectly and it'd not horribly rare.

Last edited:
I think the cyclops needs more armor and given its role probably could have used a lot better tech like say a XL engine. and yeah the wolverine and phoenix hawk are fine command mechs to use on the frontlines given how many are running around even in the 3000s which prevents people from focusing them down. Ditto the archer which also works well in a command role via being able to camp behind a hill nice and safe. This also semi applies to the marauder since it can stay at range if not firing indirectly.
The CP-10-Q is 17 tons of armor, introduced in 2801. It's hilariously lightly armed for an assault though with 2 LRM10s, 3 Medium Lasers and 1 SMR4. That's in line with some medium mechs, it pays for that engine rating of 4.

The CP-10-Q is 17 tons of armor, introduced in 2801. It's hilariously lightly armed for an assault though with 2 LRM10s, 3 Medium Lasers and 1 SMR4. That's in line with some medium mechs, it pays for that engine rating of 4.
was thinking the stock variant not the 10Q. And yeah like all 4/6 assaults that aren't using a XL engine it pays for that higher speed in much reduced payload.

was thinking the stock variant not the 10Q. And yeah like all 4/6 assaults that aren't using a XL engine it pays for that higher speed in much reduced payload.
I'm convinced that the original Cyclops was an Amaris plot. Sure it requires him to be able to time travel, but that's hardly the most ridiculous thing he did in his takeover.

I'm convinced that the original Cyclops was an Amaris plot. Sure it requires him to be able to time travel, but that's hardly the most ridiculous thing he did in his takeover.
or could have been jonathan cameron being his paranoid self and limiting what could go into new non royal designs or a prior amaris. can't blame stephan for everything the RWR got up to after all.

Okay, this'll be an interesting challenge for the class. Whether the lance mates are bots or actual pilots, depending on how command is taught in Sakhara some of those cadets will have less experience leading a unit. Plus the elites of the class will have to deal with managing a bigger unit. They might have a slight numbers advantage and a dedicated mech lineup, but the OpFor has a background in combined arms and a well-rounded composition. Well, energy loadouts means hardier foes, but at least they don't have to deal with missile rain as much outside of the few Fusiliers, Centurion, and the LRM-5s.

As related to command mechs being targets there's a reason why the sharpe is coated in max efficent armor for 65 tons and other than the engine has just 1 thing that can go boom.
And has the jump jets to GTFO out of dangerous situations

Last edited:
Hurricane
Base Tech Level
: Standard (IS)

Level

Era

Experimental

-

Advanced

-

Standard

3025+
Tech Rating: D/X-E-D-D

Weight: 50 tons
BV: 1,179
Cost: 2,535,208 C-bills

Movement: 6/9
Engine: 200 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 13
Fuel Points: 0/400 (5.0 tons)

Structural Integrity: 6
Armor: 200

Armor

Nose

Left Wing

Right Wing

Aft

Weapons

Loc

Heat

PPC

NOS

Medium Laser

NOS

Medium Laser

NOS

Medium Laser

AFT

SRM 6

RWG

SRM 6

LWG

Ammo

Loc

Shots

SRM 6 Ammo

FSLG

SRM 6 Ammo

FSLG

another 50 ton 6/9 ASF design of mine. In practice its basically a mini but better armored ironsides with vastly ammo per SRM-6.

Last edited:
I want to see Clay use some of Bofors designs purely to see the reaction from the DCMS to completely unknown units in the air and on the ground.

I mean some of them have appeared on New Avalon being shown off to the First Prince and a lot of other guests. Which to put it bluntly if the ISF and basically every other intel agency that isn't the clan watches haven't heard at least rumors about that they're worse than memetic SAFE.

suns probably need more light dogfighters (wangker and the tommahawk is a viable option long term) and honestly just more ASFs in general
the whole just 3 sites that presently make ASFs. 4 if Sakhara is making any yet.
maybe a modernized centurion ASF( which spec wise on tabletop is solid but it needs in universe minor upgrades) since they stopped making that and sold the license to the lyrans. maybe the tooling but not sure.
other things that could be useful would be stuff like a modifed ironsides (whose last plant is mothballed on carver V due to no DHS and the like). Another option is a slight modification of the W10 chippewa variant to drop the armor a tad to add 1 heat sink and make the 2 aft small lasers mediums. well that or drop the SRM-6 for said heat sink, aft medium lasers, a ton of armor, and a forward medium laser.
I'll play around with some designs and dig up some I have laying around.
So in 3.5 there is the Centurion, when you say Modernized in way way

modernized as in well is a centurion but we gave it quirks and a different brand of medium lasers or avionics that makes it mostly distinct enough in terms of production

So in 3.5 there is the Centurion, when you say Modernized in way way

modernized as in well is a centurion but we gave it quirks and a different brand of medium lasers or avionics that makes it mostly distinct enough in terms of production
let me check....

"However, despite the noted role it played in the early history of Davion aerospace fighters, the Centurion fell from grace when the Federated Suns acquired various production lines for the Sparrowhawk during the First Succession War. The Star League Defense Force fighter's more advanced electronics and ability to fly while damaged sidelined the older fighter, which was quickly shifted to militia forces. Jalastar Aerospace eventually traded the specifications to the aging fighter to Lockheed/CBM in return for those of the Sabre before closing the original production line in 3000, the now modernized Centurion only produced on Donegal in the Lyran Commonwealth.[6]"​

So the lyrans probably already did the work albeit they never really upgraded it properly for better tech being available later on for some reason save a weird variant with 2 ER mediums and a TAG of all things
also to be blunt man those seem like dumb reasons to sideline a ASF in a era where ASF production is rare.

let me check....

"However, despite the noted role it played in the early history of Davion aerospace fighters, the Centurion fell from grace when the Federated Suns acquired various production lines for the Sparrowhawk during the First Succession War. The Star League Defense Force fighter's more advanced electronics and ability to fly while damaged sidelined the older fighter, which was quickly shifted to militia forces. Jalastar Aerospace eventually traded the specifications to the aging fighter to Lockheed/CBM in return for those of the Sabre before closing the original production line in 3000, the now modernized Centurion only produced on Donegal in the Lyran Commonwealth.[6]"​

So the lyrans probably already did the work albeit they never really upgraded it properly later on for some reason.
also to be blunt man those seem like dumb reasons to sideline a ASF in a era where ASF production is rare.
"something something we had a bunch a bunch of the old centurions originally but we ripped out the old guns and avionics and shoved in Magna Mk2s in place of those old maxwells and well they talk a lot better with instatrac ma'am" / random asf tech.

"something something we had a bunch a bunch of sabers but we ripped out the old guns and avionics and shoved in Magna Mk2s in place of those old maxwells and well they talk a lot better with instatrac ma'am" / random asf tech.
seems legit, also anyone reducing the suns amount of ASF production in the 3rd SW of periods probably needs to be investigated for if not treason than gross stupidity.
Especially with Axton struggling due to both tech decline and raid caused wear and tear. Why a important plant basically on the border lacks a proper garrison assigned beats me but its a dumb thing I can at best maybe explain away via a robust PDF/milita and a admittedly a fair few AFFS and major merc units within a jump or two

Last edited:
seems legit, also anyone reducing the suns amount of ASF production in the 3rd SW of periods probably needs to be investigated for if not treason than gross stupidity.
Especially with Axton struggling due to both tech decline and raid caused wear and tear. Why a important plant basically on the border lacks a proper garrison assigned beats me but its a dumb thing I can at best maybe explain away via a robust PDF/milita and a admittedly a fair few AFFS or merc units within a jump or two

In universe the only explanation that makes sense is a rotation of smaller merc units pulling security at the site.

So I keep forgetting to use the gift card catalyst gave me its a couple hundred bucks too... oh I spent way too much on the clan invasion lol (like not in the sense of it financially hurt because it didn't but in the sense well that was kind of a silly purchase) and even though I still have an assload of minatures that I need to paint

I'm probably going to buy a couple of things, maybe even four or five

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eris

And this will probably show up as the SLDF Medium 'mech replacement later in place of the Centurion and Trebuchet. Though possibly with clan spec technology the case of the engine anyway yeah.

shrugs i mean the centurion and trebchuet are ACW/1st SW era designs so honestly? i think the eris is probably closer to a crab replacement along with the starslayer

I could see the argument that it is a centurion replacement. Snub nose big gun. MMLs so added weak long range support. 3 small Xpulse for anti infantry work and crit seeking with srm mode. quicker and more close range oriented sure. still similar. could also see it being competition for a similar role to the 5/8/5 55 tonners. seems solid though.

Nice. Like many post-Clan Invasion mechs, I was first introduced to the Eris by the Big Red 40k (now 40tech) youtube channel. That's one good jump boy, though probably with domestic-sourced components compared to the original seeing as it relied on Lyran and FWL parts. Huh, if you're using Clantech to keep its stats, does that mean we're seeing an early Partial Wing system?

well found another yard in the federated suns albeit with a frustrating lack of details. of both the yard and the planet its on
  • Willowick Shipyards. Capabilities unknown, built by the Star League, but barely utilized due to Galax's competence.[28]
No clue if its still around or not and what state its in if it is . and yes that's literally all the details we have.

Last edited:
well found another yard in the federated suns albeit with a frustrating lack of details. of both the yard and the planet its on
  • Willowick Shipyards. Capabilities unknown, built by the Star League, but barely utilized due to Galax's competence.[28]
No clue if its still around or not and what state its in if it is . and yes that's literally all the details we have.
Lol, no kidding. Capabilities unknown, which book did they decide to give it shipyards in ? cause I've never heard of them until today

also the 'modern era' maps piss me the fuck off

Lol, no kidding. Capabilities unknown, which book did they decide to give it shipyards in ? cause I've never heard of them until today

also the 'modern era' maps piss me the fuck off
The entries from a book called Dominions Divided, on page 125. I can't be any more help because I've never read any of the books on BattleTech.

The entries from a book called Dominions Divided, on page 125. I can't be any more help because I've never read any of the books on BattleTech.
*nods* yep that would be why I never heard of them until today.

"Dominions Divided is a BattleTech sourcebook providing full details of the events within the Federated Suns, Draconis Combine, and Rasalhague Dominion from 3151 to mid-3152. Included are a full historical summary of events in those regions of space, personality and unit profiles of key players—many appearing here for the first time–and game information along with a glossy campaign map to bring it all to your BattleTech tabletop"

and came out in february of this year.

I.e. its a source book of an Era I refuse to touch.

Still weird they mention a random ass Shipyard that has no capabilities literally within a year of now.
Seriously if your going to take the effort of mentioning a brand new industrial site let alone a shipyard made in the SL years by the Star League mention what it has there. And maybe mention more details on the planet like say the population?

As for how I found out about it was randomly checking the Shipyard page on sarna for totally unrelated reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back