• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

I mean, it's definitely possible it will backfire. I'm not gonna pretend it isn't. But I do think that's a whole lot of speculation from someone with a different mindset and view of Comet's perspective from the QM who has to write it. :V

(To be clear, this is me pointing out that I don't think anybody can predict how this will go, with or without the Influence)

Also, to be fair, if we come at Comet with a metaphorical executioner's axe and every reason to be pissed, then don't kill him… I think that would change our relationship too.
Oh, absolutely.

However, there's also a famous Name of the Colonel that he forcibly ascended as a punishment (and while Comet and Velvet probably don't know that history, they do know the Colonel himself - enough to intuit his (lowercase n) name, even).

Death is the most common, but not the only way Colonel!Velvet may show her displeasure, real or imagined.

If the Lionsmith is freedom, revolution, chaos and anarchy, then logically the Colonel is status quo, order, tyranny and slavery, no?

Also, just to note, but Name's are also eminently detectable just by being in a city. If Comet doesn't notice that we've summoned an Edge Name, I would eat my hat. I don't have a hat, but I'm sure I can find one. Hell, he probably noticed DoA too. And yet, Velvet would have come herself.
If the Lionsmith is freedom, revolution, chaos and anarchy, then logically the Colonel is status quo, order, tyranny and slavery, no?
Fair, though I think she's got a tight enough leash on him already with Fluttershy, and they both know it, that it probably won't be his first assumption. Maybe.

Also, just to note, but Name's are also eminently detectable just by being in a city. If Comet doesn't notice that we've summoned an Edge Name, I would eat my hat. I don't have a hat, but I'm sure I can find one. Hell, he probably noticed DoA too. And yet, Velvet would have come herself.

Fair, though I think she's got a tight enough leash on him already with Fluttershy, and they both know it, that it probably won't be his first assumption. Maybe.
Biedde has Moth, which means Comet can't trust his senses that Velvet is alone. Admitedly, he might miss this point.

What is worse, as you've pointed out, Fluttershy is why we have his leash. Arguably, she is his leash.

Completely unimportant fact: he lives with her.

Which means that either Velvet might as well have came after Fluttershy instead of "after Comet" for all he knows, or both of them aren't there.

And you've just pointed out that Comet won't see the Names with Velvet.

So... Where are they? Is there some important place that might be unprotected right now?

This is a negative viewpoint that might not be present, sure, but it is completely legit.

Last edited:
Uhh... We are not going to do that... Velvet doesn't really talk to anyone about the RA's we are just going to confront him about not telling us. And the goal is to make sure he doesn't do that again, maybe clear the air between them and see if there is anything else the Master didn't tell us(because Moth).
Their is nothing to clear, we know the what, why, when, and how. If you want Comet to not be a threat focus on our ties to Fluttershy, IE the reason he gave up the path to Glory. The only thing he cares about that Velvet will have is Biedde's Sacrament.

Last edited:
Their is nothing to clear, we know the what, why, when, and how. If you want Comet to not be a threat focus on our ties to Fluttershy, IE the reason he gave up the path to Glory. The only thing he cares about that Velvet will have is Biedde's Sacrament.
But HE doesn't know it, he doesn't know why we did what we did not even our goals, that could be why he hates us, he created a Velvet in his head that is not the real one. We have enough enemies at the moment so I would like to avoid having Comet Feet be encouraged to become another one by our unwillingness to spend 1 action to confront him about keeping such a dangerous secret.

Last edited:
@OurLadyOfWires ,could we actually... offer a job to Comet?
Nah.

Well on the bright side, the minimal 'bleed' of Name Influences might mean it wouldn't quite be as aggressive compared to walking up to Comet with a Called Influence :V

Though actually, I wonder if the more regulated nature of the Name Influences also make them more difficult to notice, since it's not leaking everywhere? @OurLadyOfWires?
To be very clear. And, hopefully, to answer your question.

A long time ago, during the beginning of the quest, I planned on ritual influences having an impact on Velvet. EDIT: such as a Velvet under a certain influence auto-picking an option, if it was offered, or characters reacting differently to her in a mechanical way.

But that would be too cumbersome to prepare, design, and the only effect it would have would be people deciding they just aren't worth it.

So.

Ritual influences can have narrative impacts. And ritual influences might create certain "interesting" mechanical reactions (see Rarity).
But I won't make a ritual influence ever cause you a negative mechanical outcome.
So, if you max-edge influence and go talk to Comet, the voting options you will receive to choose from will be the same.
You might reach those voting options through a different way, narratively, and "something else" might or might not happen if you have an edge influence. But I abandoned the idea of a "negative" bleeding.

And to directly answer you, a Name influence is definitely harder to notice. But I think it's noticeable all the same. Kind of hard to hide something that big, even if it's under control.

Hehe, your relationship with Rarity right now.

But HE doesn't know it, that could be why he hates us. We have enough enemies at the moment so I would like to avoid having Comet Feet be encouraged to become another one by our unwillingness to spend 1 action to confront him about keeping such a dangerous secret.
If he wanted Velvet to know the would have just told her about the Master. The fact he didn't already says everything. And their no way he missed the Master's death.

Last edited:
Biedde has Moth, which means Comet can't trust his senses that Velvet is alone. Admitedly, he might miss this point.

What is worse, as you've pointed out, Fluttershy is why we have his leash. Arguably, she is his leash.

Completely unimportant fact: he lives with her.

Which means that either Velvet might as well have came after Fluttershy instead of "after Comet" for all he knows, or both of them aren't there.

And you've just pointed out that Comet won't see the Names with Velvet.

So... Where are they? Is there some important place that might be unprotected right now?
Honestly, I'm generally assuming that Velvet isn't going to be stupid enough to approach Comet when Fluttershy is around, nor that Comet is stupid enough to forget that Velvet could get at her pretty much whenever she wants just by inviting Fluttershy to her house.

Like, I get where you're coming from. I do. But the simple fact of the matter is that Velvet isn't actually meaningfully more dangerous to Fluttershy or Comet with an Edge Influence except that he can't kill her directly while she's immediately in reach. If she wanted them dead, they would be dead, Influence or no.

Also, I just realized that there's a fundamental assumption we both actually seem to be making, which may not be the case. What if we're not approaching him? Because Comet does come to our house often enough. It's entirely possible we would just… pull him aside for a talk.
You might reach those voting options through a different way, narratively, and "something else" might or might not happen if you have an edge influence. But I abandoned the idea of a "negative" bleeding.
Hmm. Funny thought, but for some reason this meshed with those earlier speculations that we would just be having very sharp words to make me imagine that we could maybe do a Vicious Mockery meme.

You know, those jokes about a Bard calling a goblin ugly and it just randomly dying or something similar. I wanna see Velvet call Comet a bitch so effectively he takes actual health damage. :V

Last edited:
If he wanted Velvet to know the would have just told her about the Master. The fact he didn't already says everything. And their no way he missed the Master's death.
That is exactly what I'm talking about. He didn't tell us anything because he hates Velvet, he doesn't trust her and actively avoids interacting with her and that caused us(and Equestria) a lot of problems.

If we had know what the Master was planning we would have taken the Names to the Wedding for security, that would have given us more options on how to deal with the Master besides the ones we were given, so instead of the Third Son being born something else would happen but instead we cursed the inventors, turned the Woods into dust, made Equestria a worse place again and got another step closer to the Wolf (anti)victory.

You do know we are the only ones, besides Baldomare and maybe the other Names, who knew the Master was the Will of the Woods right? And if he has any thoughts about where the Master is even if he went to the Mansus and saw the Ashen Wastes it would be "still possessing Shining Armor" if he wasn't aware of the "reincarnate into an Alicorn" plan.

You know what we should have Biedde do next turn if we summon him on this one?

Ransack Copper's Cult with Mareinette.

Specifically, Mareinette would suss out through social work where the coffers are, and Biedde would knife whoever has the keys.

Come on, they're just sitting there with Bits and Artifacts! We could use such things to pay for other Expeditions!

Canon CS Biedde was even a highwayman back in the day, it's perfect!

Honestly, I'm generally assuming that Velvet isn't going to be stupid enough to approach Comet when Fluttershy is around, nor that Comet is stupid enough to forget that Velvet could get at her pretty much whenever she wants just by inviting Fluttershy to her house.

Like, I get where you're coming from. I do. But the simple fact of the matter is that Velvet isn't actually meaningfully more dangerous to Fluttershy or Comet with an Edge Influence except that he can't kill her directly while she's immediately in reach. If she wanted them dead, they would be dead, Influence or no.

Also, I just realized that there's a fundamental assumption we both actually seem to be making, which may not be the case. What if we're not approaching him? Because Comet does come to our house often enough. It's entirely possible we would just… pull him aside for a talk.
People don't tend to think rationally when they are put in life-or-death situations, though.

I think I need to emphatize it: I don't think Comet will actually panic, or that he won't come to his senses later, or at very least that it will necessarily happen.

Honestly, I think it won't happen, especially given what the Bird just said.

That doesn't mean it can't sour the relationship, even if on the second thought the situation wasn't meaningfully worse than usual.

Because Comet hates us, and unless he hates something else even more, the less he thinks about us, the better.

Sure, the action is already counterproductive from that viewpoint, which is why "don't confront" is a choice even beyond AP-hell, but in a vacuum, it is a dialogue about him. About past him, who almost killed Shining.

Even if he doesn't hate that version of himself "even more", it is decidedly not Velvet he will dwell on.

Threat makes him analyze the situation, and our involvement, and the fact that every waking moment he is on our leash. Not the best thoughts for mental health, or for peace.

And honestly, most of my argument applies regardless of when and where the meeting happens. Even "Names can be after Fluttershy" still applies.

Nor does any of that address the fact that for all he knows he might just miss the prison we are building. We hid that Alicorns trust us already, and he missed the first prison until it was too late for all intends and purposes; what Fluttershy did was a miracle.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I'm talking about. He didn't tell us anything because he hates Velvet, he doesn't trust her and actively avoids interacting with her and that caused us(and Equestria) a lot of problems.
Read what you wrote Comet HATES Velvet. He was hoping Velvet would find out, and die fighting the Master.

Eh… at this point it feels more like you're arguing against confronting Comet at all, than against confronting him with an Influence. Which is fair, the action as a whole is complicated and personally I don't actually give a shit about it beyond another incentive towards Influence and Biedde summoning. I just don't think any thoughts Comet might have will be worse with an Influence on Velvet just because if he's thinking about her, he's already seeing her as a threat. He kinda always has. An Influence doesn't actually change that.

Not do I honestly feel like their relationship can sour at this point except if they decide to outright murder each other. Not without other people's relationships to them both also getting involved anyways.

Naturally we would politely and quietly make overtures of financial and career based opportunities to Fluttershy. Some of which just so happen to require the assistance of a stallion with significant physical capability.

Rarity of course has been trying to do this for years. But all such overtures flew over Fluttershys head. (Or maybe she just already has her dream job. Money or no.)

Grail cultist tries to back Winter cultist into a verbal corner. A tale as old as time.

I am sure Comet is doing something with his free time.

He has to eat. And not being able to provide some kind of assistance to Fluttershy would eat away at him.

So.

Ritual influences can have narrative impacts. And ritual influences might create certain "interesting" mechanical reactions (see Rarity).
But I won't make a ritual influence ever cause you a negative mechanical outcome.
So, if you max-edge influence and go talk to Comet, the voting options you will receive to choose from will be the same.
It is appreciated.

If we do decide to call an edge influence I hope we get to have a little violence however. As a treat.

Hehe, your relationship with Rarity right now.
We would never slake our horse lesbian lust on the poor beautiful fashion designer who we just so happen to have almost complete financial control over! :V

No Rarity has never heard of Fifty Shades of Hay why do you ask?

Really though when does Rarity ask Mareinette to help set her up with her... Domitor?

Is that the correct use of the word? The new Hunter: The Parenting video gave us some fun vocabulary.

Last edited:
Also, while I don't have a tally machine or anything, I'll note that the vote is currently… very sparse I think. And here I thought the seperate stages were supposed to prevent us having a dozen plans all at one or two votes. :V
We would never slake our horse lesbian lust on the poor beautiful fashion designer who we just so happen to have almost complete financial control over! :V
Well, not without Stormchaser's permission anyways. :V

Oh, yeah, I forgot that getting her up to Seeker is supposed to make her not a Minion anymore. Or at least, it let's Velvet convince herself that Rarity isn't a minion. Because having more Grail totally makes her more resistant to Velvet convincing her to do terrible things, right? :V

Also this was before the whole Princess dress decision, so who knows.
It is appreciated.

If we do decide to call an edge influence I hope we get to have a little violence however. As a treat.
It would certainly be neat to see Velvet throw down for even one roll at +90. Celestia going all out was pretty much the only thing we've seen that surpassed that kind of bullshit.

Eh… at this point it feels more like you're arguing against confronting Comet at all, than against confronting him with an Influence. Which is fair, the action as a whole is complicated and personally I don't actually give a shit about it beyond another incentive towards Influence and Biedde summoning. I just don't think any thoughts Comet might have will be worse with an Influence on Velvet just because if he's thinking about her, he's already seeing her as a threat. He kinda always has. An Influence doesn't actually change that.

Not do I honestly feel like their relationship can sour at this point except if they decide to outright murder each other. Not without other people's relationships to them both also getting involved anyways.
Oh, I am still thinking about the action in general, true, but I am not opposed to it at the moment.

At least, I am not deliberately and intentionally opposed to it.

It's just, there's a difference between pre-Shining and post-Shining Comet, at least to me.

Pre-Shining Comet thought is was okay if he sold Shining (sure, perfectly understandable, we've done worse), and then decided to kill him instead to gain Sacrament.

We still don't know if "she" who didn't want Shining's death was Fluttershy or the Master. For all we know, it was an act of rebellion while keeping to the letter of the bargain, but Fluttershy wouldn't want that.

It's understandable to hate that Comet, and to Comet, hate is just another color. It isn't true that he lacks self-hatred, either.

I don't think we can bond over this shared hatred of Comet-the-past, not exactly, but it's a common point.

And post-Shining Comet has, effectively, abandoned the hopes of climb and learning Edge deeper, or at very least was pushed head first into the fact that this is effectively what he's doing (and possibly that he doesn't mind).

A reminder of our existence is a con, but not a huge one. I can believe that benefits are bigger in this cases.

By introducing Influence, we startle Comet, we are very pointedly treat him like a (potential) monster (he thought) he was, and we are more alike him at the point he hates the most - just before Fluttershy saw him and broke the Colonel's grip. That is a new framing, and that, I think, has unfortunate narrative implications to be not worth it.

I hope I communicated my position clearly enough this time; I do periodically fail at that, so I am sorry for these failings.

Last edited:
Pre-Shining Comet thought is was okay if he sold Shining (sure, perfectly understandable, we've done worse), and then decided to kill him.
I'm pretty sure it was the reverse, actually? Comet went out to kill Shining, decided not to, and then the Master jumped him, IIRC.
I hope I communicated my position clearly enough this time; I do periodically fail at that, so I am sorry for these failings.
Mm, I get what you're saying, and it might not be wrong, it's just… I don't really think it's a new framing. Comet opinion of both himself and Velvet is pretty much already as low as it goes. Us pulling an Edge influence against him—it's not just against him, but I'll be generous and assume that even if he recognizes that he still assigns most of the blame to himself—isn't really startling to him. It's… not quite an expected inevitability, but probably the appropriate result. It's Velvet finally coming to her senses about the situation they're in, not changing that situation.

From my perspective, as far as Comet is concerned Velvet is already at that "as bad as him at his worst" point. She has been since she brought Fluttershy to see him at that point, and probably always will be. He hasn't had illusions about what sort of monster she was for a very long time. The Influence doesn't change what she is, it just means she's no longer pretending otherwise. That's not startling, it's settling. It… gives clarity, to the encounter. If that makes sense?

Velvet has always kept her knives hidden, and Comet knows it. I genuinely think that approaching him with the open threat of an Edge Influence would make him more responsive, because for once he doesn't have to wonder where they stand. He can actually see where the line in the sand is drawn for once. He probably won't forget all the other knives she has of course, but at least she's being courteous with one of them.

Last edited:
Oh I like character analysis.

The important thing to understand about Comet Feet is that he is afraid of us. And he reacts to being afraid of things by fighting.

Stormchaser works on convincing Comet Feet that fighting us is... a very good way to die. And much more important than dying. Fighting Velvet is a way to lose all the scraps of happiness he manged to gather around himself.

Even if we do not attack Fluttershy directly.

Cast your minds back. To what was not our history. But... what did I say?

That which is forgotten is not lost.

"Come on… you know you want to say it…" the small, meek, delicate mare says those words. Her voice is no louder than a whisper, and yet you watch as Comet's frown turns into a scowl at that.

You have no words to describe your shock as Comet proceeds to… growl out the next words.

"I. Am. Here… To. Visit… Your husband." He says.

"I knew you could do it! I am really proud of you," the mare says.
"What?"
"Comet, I… first of all, what in the hay are you doing here?!"
"Already said it. Here to visit your husband. Now leave me alone."
"W-what? Is that… is that really just it? You're just here to talk to Stormchaser?"
"I won't cause problems if you don't cause me problems. Now let go of my tail."
"I can't do that just yet… A-are you… I have to know. Are you really done with the Cult?"
"Are we going to have a problem?"
"Did… did you hurt Shining Armor?"
"Are we going to have a problem?"
You must understand the nature of our relationship to Comet Feet. Which is not friends. And not people who like each other even.

Comet Feet views us as a problem. Something he would ideally solve with violence... if he could.

"Oh, I am really sorry if I am interrupting anything," she says demurely, "but it's just that… well Comet has mentioned your husband a few times. And I could tell he really wanted to pay him a visit, so…"
The best piece of advice Comet Feet received was from Stormchaser. And I think it was their first meeting.

Namely that he should hold onto love with all of his being. Lest he lose it and be tortured by regret forever more.

"The thing is…" the larger, and younger, pegasus said. His words only slightly sluggish, "that I just don't know what she wants. Half the time she is just quiet, and the other half I just feel like I messed something up. I managed to make her smile precisely one time, and so far I am too scared to keep this trial and error to find out what the fuck I did."
Comet Feet is able to be manipulated by Stormchaser. And ourselves. And to an extent Fluttershy because of something he... believes.

That he is inherently bad and unworthy of love.

He sees himself as fundamentally unequipped to pursue happiness. Wings of Knives are not the best for cuddling with. If you will.

"But let me tell you something… it'll also be the most rewarding thing you ever do…"

His words… his very tone… they had the very obvious weight of experience behind them. That mixture of memory and… and certainty that…

That the younger pegasus couldn't help but frown at. Because for all that he was disgruntled by the older pegasus' words, he also realized he couldn't refute them. He also realized, somehow, that the other pegasus was telling the truth.
Comet Feet has not fundamentally changed from the big tough gruff stallion who wanted to protect the people he failed to save in the past. The cult.

He has just matured in what way it means to protect others. And what it means to actually find fulfilment and meaning in doing so.

He couldnt imagine being loved before meeting Fluttershy. He learned the hardest most brutal lessons in the changeling hive. About war. About cruelty. About violence.

He knows the fear people have of him. And the master taught him how to use fear and pain to control others (the master torturing a changling out of their disguise.)

"In fact, let me tell you a story. You see, we have a daughter, right? The wife's as protective as she can be, but you can't really contain a filly with wings. So of course, every now and then the girl causes trouble in a way nopony could really have expected."

He said all of that with a calm tone, pausing here and there to chuckle as he remembered some sort of detail he didn't really think he should share.

Still, he told his story, refilling both their glasses with wine as he did.

"And one day, she comes home from school and asks for an allowance. A few bits of pocket money, for her to be able to buy whatever she wants. Probably because she wanted to burn it all on sweets or toys or whatever else she saw in town while on her way to school."

He emptied the bottle, only to realize one of the glasses ended up half-filled.

So, of course, he uncorked yet another one and carried on.

"Pocket money. That's all she asked for. And I… I don't really know how to explain this to you, Comet. But Velvet… she flipped. She lost her mind. Practically had a panic attack as soon as she filly was out of earshot. Hoofs trembling and all."

"She… wait, she did what?"

"You heard me. She fucking flipped, plain and simple."

"But… but why?"

"Because that's how she's like. And don't look at me like that, I really mean it. There's no single explanation to it, Comet. She is a mare. And she is emotional. And she is an overthinker. And most of all she is extremely protective of our daughter," he said with a familiar smile. "So when our daughter asked for an allowance, my wife didn't think it was just a filly asking for money. She immediately wondered why our daughter wanted money. Which in turn made her think that whatever we were giving her was not enough for her to be happy. Which then meant that we were bad parents who were making our daughter miserable."

He said that, and then he watched as the younger pegasus just… looked at him with confusion.

"I… but why… how? Your daughter just asked for bits, and I-… No, really. I refuse to believe this story of yours."

"Refuse all you want, but it's the truth. Velvet is the mother of my daughter. She is the single most interesting mare I have ever met in my life. And I love her to death. But still, she is her own pony, the same way you and I are our own ponies. And getting to know her is both the most tiring and the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. Which also means that, every now and then, I stumble upon situations like that."
Amusingly I feel this story was well chosen. Comet Feet also strikes me as the kind of pony to get very... protective.

And like Stormchaser did here fir Velvet. Fluttershy is the one to know him and talk him around on things.

"But if it doesn't work like that… and if you are not here to… warn me. Then why?" he asked.

To which the older pegasus replied with a very simple, very honest smile.

"Because you were my best friend, and I just miss talking to you from time to time." He said that, and then he slightly waved the bottle of wine he was holding, nodding towards it as he spoke. "And ever since good Baldomare taught me my Sacrament, I just give you a visit whenever I can."
And also that which is lost... is not forgotten I suppose.

He wondered if things would turn out better, to the old friend he just spoke to.

He hoped that it did.

He sincerely hope it does.
We are actually in a pretty good place with Comet Feet. Both in general and at this specific moment.

Less than our otherworldly husband might hope. But also less than he fears I think.

Comet Feet fundamentally distrusts and is suspicious of us. Which is fair.

We are spooky as all get out and he barely knows us or anything about us.

He literally could not believe Stormchasers story about Velvet. He. Could. Not. Believe. It. From the lips of Velvets own husband.

So we come to the matter of Shining Armor. And the murder that was not committed. Of the betrayal. And of the sacrifice.

Ah that was fun. Do keep in mind! I might be COMPLETELY wrong about all of this though!

Last edited:
Huh. Actually, having checked Dies Irae again, Celestia had a -20 to her dice rolls from exhaustion. Which means that, even when going all out, she had a +90 total. Velvet, with her AotL and a max Influence, has +90.

It's only for one exchange, not sustainable or anything, but holy shit. I really want to see that.

In which a Blade is strung in a Web New
A Blade, a Web

The memories start to hurt, when you look too far back. They cut like a serrated knife, slicing brutally rough through the tissue of your mind.

But you're not one to shy away from things that cut. So when you do recall your past, you do it in full.

"So. That's how I met her. And why I owed her."

You've just poured out some of the more brutal pieces of your life. Like an open artery spurting blood. And what does the mare in front of you do?

She nods. She has tears in her eyes, but she smiles at you, touches you softly. And then simply nods, and asks you to continue.

She's not bawling? Or angry? Or scared? What an infuriating Mare.

You love her so much.

And so you do.

You tell your story like you see the world. People have desires, and goals, and wants. Those all clash, and the stronger one comes out on top. (You know it's stronger, because it's on top.)

(Well, this is how you saw the world. It might not be that way any more. That Mare at your side, her approach… it's insidious.)

There are subtle blades and sharp blades and definitely there are blades that don't think they're blades at all. But they're all just blades, cutting through the world.

Except for one. The creature you know as the Master… she's not a blade. She's a spider (though you're not as scared of these as you once were, thanks to the Mare by your side showing you a web covered in the morning's dew).

She's a web spinner, spinning strings that fling a blade one way or another, directing and manipulating every cut you make. You hate it. You absolutely hate it. A blade that cuts for a reason not its own is barely a blade at all.

And worst of all, you don't even know the strings she's strung. You can't see them to slice right through them.

You hate her. And you fear her. And yes, you serve her.

The months pass. The bodies fall. The blade you are gets honed to a razor's edge.

And it seems you may have met another web-spinner. You thought she was a clever blade, if dull and chipped. But she's just always… there. Helping, she says, and listening and questioning and undoubtedly stringing strings you cannot see.

She might think she's innocent, but every month, she's climbed a little higher. Gone a little further. And you know just what that takes.

You don't talk much of what she already knows. And she knows that she saved you.

Things come to a head. You think she's gone, and it's over. You are so, terribly, wrong.

You make an offer, and she offers a deal. She will free you, if you bind another. She will cut your strings, if you will tie one stronger than ever.

And you don't really have a choice at all.

The mare at your side makes to chime in, but you won't be cut off here. You really didn't have a choice at all.

At least she's gone. Which leaves only the one web weaver around.

She's there almost as soon as your rope in the plot is done, like she was waiting to close in on a wounded foe. You know she acted as if her strings were severed, but you also know she's a much better actor than you.

You hear she's in some elevated role, spending weeks away from Ponyville. It sounds like an achievement beyond that Old Thing's wildest dreams for one of their chosen.

She asks if you could spend some time around her estate. You… well, you do like her husband, that's fair enough. But you wonder if she's still keeping tabs on you. And who's she's keeping them for.

You hear of a wedding, and a chill runs down your spine. You wish you could cut something, but that would make her sad. You can almost hear strings being pulled, and she might be doing the pulling.

You don't trust her. You don't know what she's up to. You hate her.

"You don't know her." A soft voice chimes in.

"Yes. I don't know her, and I hate her."

And here she comes. Walking up the path.

…Carrying a Bazooka.

I think we should really consider Comet's perspective on us. The turn start was a reminder that Velvet's internal view contrasts pretty harshly with the external one, and I think as a thread we fall into much the same sometimes.

I really liked @Starlit Horizon's thoughts, and think they're pretty accurate. I'm definitely not sure we should do this fleeting (Comet did nothing we wouldn't) but we should go into it with clear eyes.

…and I don't think we should bring an edge influence :V

Originally, during the Lithomachy, the man who would become the Colonel ritualistically blinded and scarred himself with the aid of a priestess (Who in time would become the Mother of Ants) before going to fight the Seven-Coiled, so that he would not die at the sight of that Stone-Hour. The nature of the Colonel is in self-sacrifice and the idea of placing duty over one's own interests. Slavery is not in his nature because slave-keeping is an act of reliance on the suffering of others to achieve your aims, which would be antithetical to the Hour who gained strength through his own scars.

Finally, it's done. Same idea; @ me if there are any inaccuracies or updates. I did a double check but odds are there is at least one mistake somewhere. I didn't attempt to verify that the plans were valid and used the correct number of actions.

Plan abbrev. / CategoryBusinessWake oldMap oldCharming mareBright mareBusiness no CometBusiness BeddieBetter BieddeWakeMapCheaper BieddeCBiedde noHubrisSacramentBetterer BiedeBBiede no hubrisPlan abbrev. / Category
AotLGrailGrailGrailHeartGrailGrailGrailEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeAotL
SteppesBureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Improve reputation?Bureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Manehattan?Manehattan?Bureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Bureau/Court opinion?Steppes
ForgeSH2 Jade RotTSH2 Jade RotTSH2 Jade RotTSH2 Jade RotTSH2Edge 3Edge3 Edge2SH2 Jade RotTSH2 Jade RotTEdge 3Edge 3SH3 for influenceEdge 3 Knock 2 Edge 1 SH 1Edge 3 Knock 2 Edge 1 SH 1Forge
Social (100%)JadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeJadeSocial (100%)
SocialFilthy RichFilthy RichFilthy RichFilthy RichFilthy RichFilthy RichSocial
LeashFilthy RichFilthy RichFilthy RichFilthy RichLeash
SummonMitLMitLMitLMitLMitLMitLMitLMitLMitLSummon
SummonBieddeBieddeBieddeBieddeBieddeBieddeBieddeSummon
InfluenceSH influenceInfluence
FOCometCometCometCometCometCometCometCometCometCometCometCometCometFO
Study (100%)Forge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge3 Forge3 unknownForge 3 Forge 3 unknownStudy (100%)
ResearchMemLightMemLightResearch
SearchOutsiderOutsiderSearch
SacramentSH sacramentSacrament
MansusAshen WastesAshen WastesAshen Wastes 3xAshen WastesAshen WastesAshen WastesAshen WastesAshen Wastes 3xAshen WastesAshen WastesAshen WastesAshen WastesAshen WastesMansus
MansusRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchRuined ChurchMansus
MansusImpact siteImpact siteImpact siteMansus
MansusShattered Stairways?Shattered Stairways?Shattered StairwaysShattered StairwaysMansus

@OurLadyOfWires copyedit delivery:
But still, she quickly write down your orders before asking the obvious question.
writes

"The word I used was intimidated, Lady Velvet. And like I said, it's more about your fame than anything else."

"I… what do you mean fame. I was barely known by my family until a year ago!"
Word choice: I don't think "fame" can be used as a synonym for "reputation" in this sense. The bureau ponies are intimidated by her specific reputation, not by the fact that she's famous.

I remember one past word choice issue where soldiers' sacrifices were "celebrated" (implies we are happy about the event being celebrated, and thus implies we are happy it happened that they died) rather than "commemorated" (doesn't imply we are happy that it happened, just that we're saying it's worth remembering; usually used when talking about veterans/war/etc.). Like, saying "today, we celebrate 9/11" could become a gaffe for an American politician depending on the context, like if they followed it up with one more sentence going in that direction. At a funeral people do say they "celebrate" the deceased's life though. I'll probably point it out if I ever get to rereading. Though I should probably slip all historical corrections directly into Bird's DMs to not clutter the thread. I've thought about putting all corrections into Bird's DMs actually, but it might be marginally useful to put them in the thread so it's less likely they get duplicate suggestions. But maybe I'm the only one who does this, so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I'm thinking either Cheaper Biedde or Charming Mare myself.

Actually wait Charming Mare has us Leashing someone outside of a life-or-death situation, I'll pass and go for Cheaper Biedde.

Last edited:
Mm. Also, in the hope of stimulating votes, I will note that we don't actually have to get the Edge Influence even if we summon Biedde. He's still really useful for all sorts of other stuff, from giving Velvet Edge lessons to guarding our family even more, to taking a run at Manehatten, to… whatever other unique actions he can be good for once we summon him. Maybe setting up for an Edge Sacrament, which would be absolutely wild.

…I might have been watching too many Doctor Who clips recently because now I'm having weird visions of Velvet and Comet standing in for Missy and the Doctor, and the former's constant insistence that they're totally friends who treat trying to kill each other like exaggerated texting. if ever there was an Edge Dyad in non-CS fiction, it would be them.
There isn't enough sexual tension between them for it to be Missy and the Doctor.

(I stopped watching new doctor who early in the thirteen doctor, by the way. I have to go back to it sometimes. David Tennant is still my favourite doctor, and I saw he's back for the fourteenth too!).

And Comet should remember how he was, under the max Influence, and he knows that Velvet knows, too. And he doesn't know that Velvet is rather adept at wrangling them (and even then, remember what happened with Rarity and Grail Influence?). Could Velvet honestly consider that she would be able to just negotiate with him? Was she so careless? Even if she was, would she be able to follow through?
not only that. Velvet was very much not in control the first time she had a Moth tier 4 influence on her from the Master, the night they used the ritual to attack Luna.

Maybe it's because the Master was in control. Maybe it's because Velvet was far lower in the lores, not even a single lvl 3 at the time. But she already experienced not being in control of herself. And she experience also Knock, Secret History and Grail while keeping control.

I hold to my original opinion: going with an edge influence is a VERY heavy statement. It's going to him while holding a gun to his head and asking him to answer our questions EXACTLY how we want them to be answered.

I'd rather keep to a simple AotL.

I mean, it's definitely possible it will backfire. I'm not gonna pretend it isn't. But I do think that's a whole lot of speculation from someone with a different mindset and view of Comet's perspective from the QM who has to write it. :V

(To be clear, this is me pointing out that I don't think anybody can predict how this will go, with or without the Influence)

Also, to be fair, if we come at Comet with a metaphorical executioner's axe and every reason to be pissed, then don't kill him… I think that would change our relationship too.
That's fair too. After all Comet Feet IS a worthy opponent. if we go fully capable of killing him, and then we spare him... well, that says a lot too.

-Known "worthy opponents": Princess Celestia, Princess Cadance, Mareinette, Comet Feet.

from old forum. We can probably add Selene too, I think. And, if we ever healed him, Shining Armor. Velvet is also probably in there.

but can they detected by everyone in the city, or JUST by their "faction" (sort of like they're blessed)?

I doubt our enemies get a Knock bonus from Axe being present just because they act physically close to us, for example.

Calling an Edge attention makes more sense for the Ruined Church expedition. It is a dangerous action and has a decent chance that we will end up in combat.
that's another benefit, actually.

We use Edge AotL. Bird decides where it's best used. If it's not used with Comet, it will be used with the Church/Wastes.

It's more likely to not be wasted compared to Grail.

To be very clear. And, hopefully, to answer your question.

A long time ago, during the beginning of the quest, I planned on ritual influences having an impact on Velvet. EDIT: such as a Velvet under a certain influence auto-picking an option, if it was offered, or characters reacting differently to her in a mechanical way.

But that would be too cumbersome to prepare, design, and the only effect it would have would be people deciding they just aren't worth it.

So.

And to directly answer you, a Name influence is definitely harder to notice. But I think it's noticeable all the same. Kind of hard to hide something that big, even if it's under control.
well, this reassures me a bit.

and to be fair Comet is not stupid. If we go with an Edge influence that's a flex, but if he leaves alive that also proves we did NOT want him dead.

Because if Velvet goes to him with an Edge 4 Influence and decides to kill him, Comet dies. There's no if or but there.

We're talking a Velvet rolling +69 against a Comet rolling... let me check... +39. MAYBE +59 for a roll or two if he still has AotL.

It's a near certain win for us if he tries to fight us, and he'd KNOW that. The only way he survives such a fight is if we allow him to live.

So I suppose that works too.

That said, that's for Edge tier 4. And I still find it not worth it.

If we had know what the Master was planning we would have taken the Names to the Wedding for security, that would have given us more options on how to deal with the Master besides the ones we were given, so instead of the Third Son being born something else would happen but instead we cursed the inventors, turned the Woods into dust, made Equestria a worse place again and got another step closer to the Wolf (anti)victory.

You do know we are the only ones, besides Baldomare and maybe the other Names, who knew the Master was the Will of the Woods right? And if he has any thoughts about where the Master is even if he went to the Mansus and saw the Ashen Wastes it would be "still possessing Shining Armor" if he wasn't aware of the "reincarnate into an Alicorn" plan.
nah, he had no good reason to tell us.

If we're on the Master's side, either we know, or the Master decided we shouldn't know, and he'd risk displeasing them by telling us.

If we're NOT on the Master's side, than he'd be Explicitly betraying them AGAIN AFTER being granted permission to leave the Cult in exchange for Shining Armor.

There was no valid reason for Comet to tell us.

NOW though, the Master is dead. if there's other secrets, WE NEED TO KNOW THEM. and we need to make things clearer between us.

You know what we should have Biedde do next turn if we summon him on this one?

Ransack Copper's Cult with Mareinette.

Specifically, Mareinette would suss out through social work where the coffers are, and Biedde would knife whoever has the keys.

Come on, they're just sitting there with Bits and Artifacts! We could use such things to pay for other Expeditions!

Canon CS Biedde was even a highwayman back in the day, it's perfect!
Honestly if we're attacking the Cult we might very well go All In.

Send Axe, Mareinette and Biedde. Maybe even Selene, though I'd rather not. Potentially Velvet too.

we find them, we kill them, we MAYBE get a prisoner for potentially Mareinette's Grail Sacrament (still better than personal Grail), and we steal their bits and and artifacts.

if we scry before going we can probably finish it all in less than 5 days, really.

Read what you wrote Comet HATES Velvet. He was hoping Velvet would find out, and die fighting the Master.
Nah, Comet is kind of a being of hate. He hates most things, and he hates Velvet because she put Fluttershy in danger for him.

I think he also respects us, and he likes Fluttershy (and Stormchaser) more than he hates us.

No Rarity has never heard of Fifty Shades of Hay why do you ask?

Really though when does Rarity ask Mareinette to help set her up with her... Domitor?

Is that the correct use of the word? The new Hunter: The Parenting video gave us some fun vocabulary.

what a waste of being on QQ...

Also this was before the whole Princess dress decision, so who knows.
If I remember right, Rarity very quietly (which is extremely out of character for her) Told us she'd name her firstborn daughter after us.

So... yeah, short of asking for something insane like killing or torturing Sweetie Belle, she'd basically do anything for us. Anything we're actually likely to ever consider asking of her, at least.

So she's effectively a Minion.

We still don't know if "she" who didn't want Shining's death was Fluttershy or the Master. For all we know, it was an act of rebellion while keeping to the letter of the bargain, but Fluttershy wouldn't want that.
eh, it's heavily implied he meant the Master, but it was written as to trick us into thinking he meant Fluttershy.

Comet Feet fundamentally distrusts and is suspicious of us. Which is fair.
He'd be a fool if he trusted us unconditionally.

I think he can trust we don't want him or Fluttershy dead. He can also PROBABLY trust we care to Fluttershy to some extent, and PROBABLY that we'd rather not have him as an enemy.

That's kinda it.

ok, I'm caught up, let me check the current plans...

I haven't really changed my mind much, except that I now want an AotL on Edge instead of Grail, really. And that I don't think we're ready to summon Biedde, though... I'm BARELY willing to consider it, though I'm worried about Jade failing.

Keep in mind that Jade has a thing about failure. It makes her anxious and depressed.

Vote Tally : Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience | Page 69 | Questionable Questing [Posts: 2122-2213]
##### NetTally 5.0.6

Task: 【NONE】
— Voters: 9

[X] Plan A Better Beckoning of Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3, Edge 2 (-1 AP)
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] (Social) Level up Jade
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Edge 2 reagents
--[X] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[X] Fleeting Opportunity: Comet Feet
-[X] Study: Forge 3, Forge 3, Mystery Book
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes
--[X] Explore the depths of the Ruined Church
No. of Votes: 2

[X] Plan A Cheaper Beckoning of Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about Manehattan, what he encountered there, its neighborhoods, anywhere we should avoid if we were to visit!
—[X] (A little bit of direction if we were to send someone there)
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich

[X] Plan A Cheaper Beckoning of Biedde (no hubris)
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about Manehattan, what he encountered there, its neighborhoods, anywhere we should avoid if we were to visit!
—[X] (A little bit of direction if we were to send someone there)
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Shattered Stairwells
-[X] Social Filthy Rich

[X] Plan Mapping the Wastes
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] (Forge) SH2, for Jade's RotT
-[X] Summon a Mare-in-the-Light
-[X] Explore the Mansus (x2)
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes (3x)
--[X] Any overflow from exploring the Ashen Wastes should go to finding a new location in the Shattered Stairways

[X] Plan Wake and Dream
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Search Canterlot for the Outsider (Progress: 0/200)
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan Bright Mare Hired
-[X] (AotL) Grail(Comet Feet)
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about our reputation and how to make a more positive impression aka how to make sure ponies don't think we are a monster again(but not with those words)
-[X][LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Explore the Red Church
--[X] The place where the Mansus was struck. You must explore it.
No. of Votes: 1

[X] Plan Business and Beddie
-[X] (AotL) Grail
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3 Reagent
-[X] Summon Beddie (use Edge 3 reagent and Wrong Key)
-[X] Talk to Comet Feet
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan Business and Light without Comet
-[X] (AotL) Grail
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X][LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Talk to Filthy Rich
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan Business and Opportunities

[X] Plan Sacrament
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) SH3, for The calling of an influence
-[X] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[X] "The proper things, in the proper manner, in the proper order. God help us all." (Perform a Ritual)
--[X] "The calling of Influence" (Secret Histories)
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Explore the Red Church
--[X][MANSUS] Tarrying in the Wastes is always a poor idea… but there is no other way to discover what this place holds. (Search for a new area)
-[X] These are the skills that allow you to climb the Mansus. (Actions towards your possible Sacraments)
--[X] Attempt, even if foolishly, to untangle the webs of the Secret Histories
---[X] Investigate your current skills. To try to understand them, if nothing else. (Current progress 1/3) (THIS IS A DANGEROUS ACTION)

[◈] Plan: Sacrament
[X] Solace2117

[X] Plan the most Charming Mare.
-[X] (AotL) Heart
-[X] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Summon A Mare in the Light
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
-[X] Leash Filthy Rich.

Total No. of Voters: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back