• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

I'm thinking either Cheaper Biedde or Charming Mare myself.

Actually wait Charming Mare has us Leashing someone outside of a life-or-death situation, I'll pass and go for Cheaper Biedde.
The Leash is for exactly this situation. We leash Filthy Rich, he is now willing to tell Velvet about his family problems, we solve them in 1 action, we remove the leash and have a new confident. The leash is meant for skipping right to the loyalty mission of the person, not a get out of jail card. And we desperately need more money, high level expeditions cost 60+ bit per person that a minimum of 120 bits we have to spend to get the Key that Only Opens. On top of all the summoning and rituals we need to cast we are highly negative income.

Last edited:
WAIT. BETTER BIEDDE SHOULD MAKE A KNOCK 2/EDGE 1 AS THE SECOND REAGENT. (And then we retroactively use Pride's gift on it, and summon with Edge 3 + Knock 2/Edge 1)
Didn't we not want to do that since it would upset Velvet's brother? (The gift would not be used for DoA in this case.)

Okay, because I'm going to sleep and im Not sure if the extra reagent is too much of a difference to edit in:

I feel pretty strongly this is the best safety-focused Biedde plan.

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3, Knock 2 Edge 1, SH 1
—[X] Gift used on Knock 2 Edge 1 retroactively
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] (Social) Level up Jade
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Knock 2 Edge 1 reagents
--[X] To be performed on an inconspicuous place, located by Baldomare
-[X] Fleeting Opportunity: Comet Feet
-[X] Study: Forge 3, Forge 3, Mystery Book
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes
--[X] Explore the depths of the Ruined Church

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde (no hubris)
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about any rumors and general perceptions of us, Fair Trial, and our respective institutions, among both nobles and the commonfolk.
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Shattered Stairways

[X] Plan A Cheaper Beckoning of Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about Manehattan, what he encountered there, its neighborhoods, anywhere we should avoid if we were to visit!
—[X] (A little bit of direction if we were to send someone there)
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich

[X] Plan A Cheaper Beckoning of Biedde (no hubris)
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about Manehattan, what he encountered there, its neighborhoods, anywhere we should avoid if we were to visit!
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Shattered Stairwells
-[X] Social Filthy Rich

Last edited:
Didn't we not want to do that since it would upset Velvet's brother? (The gift would not be used for DoA in this case.)
That's where the retroactive piece comes in. Bird has stated if we make the same reagent this turn, we can treat it as if we made the reagent this turn + used the gift on it + sacrificed that for DoA. (And then we have the one from last turn left over, which we didn't use a gift on.)

The Leash is for exactly this situation. We leash Filthy Rich, he is now willing to tell Velvet about his family problems, we solve them in 1 action, we remove the leash and have a new confident. The leash is meant for skipping right to the loyalty mission of the person, not a get out of jail card. And we desperately need more money, high level expeditions cost 60+ bit per person that a minimum of 120 bits we have to spend to get the Key that Only Opens. On top of all the summoning and rituals we need to cast we are highly negative income.
I don't think the Leash is a therapy tool like that. @OurLadyOfWires , is it a therapy tool like that? Because I thought it just skipped any loyalty mission in favor of mind whammy, but I will admit this scheme has me intrigued.

I mean we don't necessarily need more bits, so much as more resources. The bits help for direct costs, but having more reagents/artifacts, better followers, and a higher lore score helps reduce our dependency on paying to win. If I remember right we've generally had a higher bit level because of Velvet's background, but expeditions were a way around that which we've mostly skipped through.

I don't think the Leash is a therapy tool like that. @OurLadyOfWires , is it a therapy tool like that? Because I thought it just skipped any loyalty mission in favor of mind whammy, but I will admit this scheme has me intrigued.

I will admit to a certain amusement at the idea that suddenly, out of nowhere, All-Skilled Commissioner Velvet Covers of the Lunar Bureau randomly decides to direct her full and undivided attention at Spoiled Milk's small town dickery.

Last edited:
we solve them in 1 action
This is a little cocky lol. We got Rarity as a Confidant by being instrumental in helping her achieve her deepest goal. We got Jade as a confidant by saving her from suicide. We got Fluttershy as a confidant by helping her save the pony she loves.

… We get Filthy as a Confidant with 1 AP? :V

I'd like to get to Good Friend with him, hopefully in a more business-y fashion than personal one. See what he's up to with Ponyville's massive expansion, maybe, and if the Mare Administrator can be of help.

And then we can have a fight later about whether we want to use the leash.

I mean we don't necessarily need more bits, so much as more resources. The bits help for direct costs, but having more reagents/artifacts, better followers, and a higher lore score helps reduce our dependency on paying to win. If I remember right we've generally had a higher bit level because of Velvet's background, but expeditions were a way around that which we've mostly skipped through.
Bits are quite strong, because they're all required in getting us more/better followers, letting us do expeditions, even acquiring books or artefacts.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was too focused on the meme and didn't explain.
No, I understand that. I was just trying to explain why I think Biedde was more likely as Master than the other part of his Dyad.

[X] Plan A Better Beckoning of Biedde
[X] Plan Betterer Biedde

Last edited:
Bits are quite strong, because they're all required in getting us more/better followers, letting us do expeditions, even acquiring books or artefacts.

Sure, but we have a decent base right now. I'm less interested in focusing on spending time with other characters to come up with money making ventures. I'd rather focus on expeditions and exploring the Mansus to get resources like we are this turn. We've not been willing to break the law for bits, which is why it's no longer an option, and I think anything legit will take longer than it's worth. Sure Filthy Rich may be a path to the Moth Sacrament, but most seem hesitant to follow through.

I'd like to get to Good Friend with him, hopefully in a more business-y fashion than personal one. And then we can have a fight later about whether we want to use the leash.

Back when we were discussing Wedding invitations I wanted to invite the whole town, and the Names besides, for general social progress. The more Good Friends and possible confidantes we have the more useful things get done and the more advantages we have in, well, getting quest things done. Ponies doing something, anything in our favor is infinitely more useful than ponies not doing anything in our favor.

Come to think of it, on the oft-mentioned subject of Lore-laundering, I suggested way back when that we could, with the help of a disparate network of connections and friends, sort of "recontextualize the Lores". All the way back on turn 4 we met up with Cheerilee to talk about Silky (Ah halcyon days) and she made a very interesting comment.

"Never ending work, isn't it?" you comment, floating your sandwich down, "I can relate to that…"

"Yes, I guess we can call it that. But by Celestia, is it worth it!" she replies, her smile now turning even more honest, "that is to say, I like to think that everything we do, every class, assignment and homework, is a small brick that those little ones are building inside of themselves. You mentioned you work in a farm, right? I might not have much of an idea of how it must feel like, but it surely can't be that different. The seasons and the work might repeat themselves, but every seed you plant and every crop you reap, don't you think they help build one more day that Equestria is well fed and growing?"

This shouts Heart to me, but it's also a very particular nuance of Heart-inspiration that's not entirely, orthodox shall we say, when compared to the usual business of drums and dancing and unceasing Thunder. Doesn't mean it's wrong though, doesn't mean it's invalid, doesn't mean it's not useful. My thought was and is that we could use this and similar perspectives to approach and broach the subject of the Lores as homegrown Equestrian values, with a bit of fundamental ineffable kick behind them. Harmony perhaps, viewed through a bit of a kaleidoscope. This is, after all, with Nightmare Moon's reappearance and cleansing, with the rediscovery of the Elements, a Season of Changes.

No matter what tarnish that Season may have suffered thus far.

So, let the Lores-as-Values creep in by way of us applying homegrown wisdom from our friends to solve problems, and when eventually faced with wickedly misguided cults, well they're clearly warping and twisting the proper Lores into something unnatural.

After all, are we not the Moth-Mare? Moth's nature is not only change and fascination, it is also in its oldest form that which supplants, which consumes and in that consumption becomes something newandoldandallatonce. Just as the Moth supplanted the Wheel in the way a wasp supplants a spider, so too might we supplant the Lore of long-departed Hours with a Lore of harmonious Equestria.

Last edited:
I think my main concern with summoning Biedde this turn is it sets his timer to keep summoned on the same turn as Axe, which gives us less wiggle room in preventing any Name from being desummoned. Now his overall usefulness counteracts some of that, but it could be minimized by summoning a Mare in Light instead. Not quite as useful, but gives us two followers if we summon him next turn.

In Which It Isn't Fair New
In Which It Isn't Fair

It wasn't fair.

That sentiment was one Copper Secatour knew well, the three words like old friends as they lingered in her mind. It wasn't fair that she was dismissed wnd ignored for the circumstances of her birth. It wasn't fair, that the Master had so rarely turned his loving attention to her. It wasn't fair that she had to work so hard, sacrifice so much, to gather even a modicum of authority and control within the Cult when she was practically a founder. It wasn't fair that Velvet Covers, that loud-mouthed, over privileged, disgustingly noble bitch was so much more powerful in the Lores. And it definitely wasn't fair that she could hold command over so many fucking Names.

Copper and her minions hadn't been prepared for their coming. How could they, when half of them weren't even known to her branch of the Cult—or, really, her Cult flat out—and the other half were already so well suited for bypassing their protections? Baldomare and the Daughter of Axes was bad enough. Between those two they could have located anything they wanted and broken through the defences without a care in the world. But that wasn't enough for Velvet fucking Covers. Oh no. She wanted to burn down everything Copper had ever built and spit on the ashes.

Baldomare and the Daughter were old monsters. All Names were, she had come to understand during her time commanding Neighnia. They were gods in all but name—pun not intended—wielding powers beyond a mortal's reckoning and following desires no pony could ever really understand. But even they compared to the other two. The daggers that Velvet Covers must have been keeping hidden for just this moment, when she finally, properly, betrayed Copper for the last time. One was a creature of bone and wires, so versed in Grail even Copper was like a foal beside her elder, and the last was more of a blade than a pony. Some ancient soldier, called up from the horrors of the past to serve a pony that deserved so much less than his service.

The four Names—four of them!—cut through every trap and trick Copper and her Cult could have thought up. Baldomare located every hideout, every storage site and meeting place. The bone mare interrogated her followers so deftly and cleverly that they were thanking her for the opportunity to spill their guts until they knew every detail of the defenses and Cult heirarchy. Then the Daughter tore through those defenses like a hot knife through butter, stealing everything of even minimal value, even as the soldier hunted down her leaders, her advisors, and anyone that might muster even a modicum of retaliation or organization to strike back.

The Cult she had worked so hard to build was done. Within mere days, all of her effort was just ash on the wind. And now, as Copper lay on her knees, staring up into the eyes of four old monsters as they discussed just what to do with her in the center of her greatest stronghold, she had only one thought in her head.

It just isn't fair, dammit.

AN: Don't mind me. Just a horrible, funny thought I had of what would happen if next turn we basically said "you know what, fuck everything else. Copper is done", and sent all four Names over to Manehatten to just do as much damage to her and her Cult as is physically possible.

Bonus points if we send Selene along with her extra action just for the lols. :V

Last edited:
Okay, because I'm going to sleep and im Not sure if the extra reagent is too much of a difference to edit in:
It wouldn't have been, I was just asleep :V

But making a new plan works too.

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde

[X] Plan Wake and Dream
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) SH2, for Jade's RotT
-[X] Summon a Mare-in-the-Light
-[X] Search Canterlot for the Outsider (Progress: 0/200)
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan Mapping the Wastes
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Explore the Mansus (x2)
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes (3x)
--[X] Any overflow from exploring the Ashen Wastes should go to finding a new location in the Shattered Stairways

Okay, time to make new plan then

[X] Plan A Costly summoning of Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 4
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 4 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich (RotT for lvl 6 book search instead if Jade fails her action)

Three forge books get us to lvl 4 forge which allows crafting lvl 4 regents. They cost 45 bits more than lvl 3 reagents but we don't spend a whole Velvet action on making more reagents then. 45 additional bits in exchange for Velvet action is good price in my book. I spend this action on Filthy Rich since he is most likely to return such investments with profits.

And solution to fear of Jade failing book search RotT is to have Velvet take over RotT with one of her actions in that case. Saves bits and may not be needed at all.

If people are worried about expedition costs then having Rarity take another commission is an option, and we can have her focus on her job the turn after. Plus whatever money making option Filthy Rich offers us. I don't think money will be a big problem.

Also edit for old plan according to new information

[X] Plan Business and Opportunities with Edge
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan Business and Light without Comet
-[X] (AotL) Grail
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X] [LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Talk to Filthy Rich
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] The place where the Mansus was struck. You must explore it.

Plus vote for plans I am fine with

Last edited:
The other sister New
You are Selene, and right now you are dreaming.

However, you are not asleep. You are merely dreaming. There is a difference between those two things. Especially to you, and especially ever since you woke up.

And it also goes without saying that this is not your dream.

It is night, and you are currently inside somepony else's dreamscape.

Your relationship with Soft Sweeps has always been somewhat curious, you think.

Because at first, she just made you uncomfortable. Back when you didn't really know anypony, and your memory only stretched back to maybe one or two months, it felt strange to have a mare like her taking care of you the way she did.

Silky did not seem to mind, but in hindsight it must have been because she had been treated like that her entire life. But still, Silky didn't mind, so you just bit down your tongue and kept to yourself. However, now that you think about it, having a full-time caretaker was more than a little overwhelming for a filly as shy as you were.

Still, you eventually got used to her as time went on. The awkward and sparse exchanges of words you first had eventually turned into conversations. You slowly came to understand that her constant check-ins were just her way of expressing that she was worried about you. And before you realized it, the sensation of her neck around your forelegs as she flew you here and there became a familiar feeling.

Silky helped a lot with that, you know. Your sister has a way of making ponies like each other that you still think is impressive, even now after you woke up. And you care about Soft Sweeps. You really do, and you will never say otherwise.

However, the fact remains that you just don't feel as close to her as you do with Silky, or your parents.

Maybe it's because you just didn't spend enough time with her. After all, you only had some ten months on the Velvet estate as a filly. But that argument doesn't hold much weight, whenever you think about it. After all, you had just as much time with Silky. And you definitely spent more time with Soft than you did with your mother and father.

Maybe it's because, well, Soft went through a lot of things, even before you woke up. Because you do remember the long, worrying conversations you had with your family about her, right after the Catastrophe struck. And even as a filly, you could tell the young mare wasn't quite the same after she returned to your home.

Or maybe… maybe it's something else? Something you can't quite put your hoof on?

Regardless, you still care about her. She might not be like an older sister to you, but she is like that to Silky. And anypony Silky cares about is a pony you will protect.

More than that. Anypony who is good enough for Silky is a pony who you will trust.

And that is why you are here tonight.

This is Soft Sweep's dream. And just like you did with your two sisters, you are here to tell her about what happened to you.

Granted, you don't think you would be able to hide this from her. Well, you do think you could do it. But if you didn't bring Soft Sweeps into this, then your free time would be severely limited. After all, it is literally her job to take care of you during the day, so it would be nearly impossible for you to disappear for any long periods of time without her noticing.

And why you are doing it this way? Why are you going into her dream to do this? Well, for several reasons. First, because you can tell that ponies simply trust you, or believe you more easily, when you talk to them in their dreams. They might not consciously realize they are dreaming, but you can tell you form a connection with them that is deeper than what two ponies have when they just talk in real life.

And the second reason is… well, because not only you can shift their dreams around, if they need a little more convincing. But also because there is little to no consequence if they refuse to believe you, or if they simply overreact and start screaming.

Granted, you haven't really done this to anypony other than Silky and Celestia. But still, it is good for you to get used to doing things the smart way.

However, as you look around you, you can't help but feel that…

"Something… something feels weird," you say to yourself, almost in a whisper.

You have just entered Soft's dream. But you can already tell that something is… off?

But for some reason, you can't exactly figure out what it is. It could be that you are just out of experience, although you don't really feel that is the answer. Still, you can't exactly tell what…

"The air feels heavy," you say to yourself, as you focus on your surroundings and try to get your bearings. "No, not heavy. It doesn't feel strange to breathe. The air feels resistant…"

You look around you, and you realize that you are in a desert of sorts. It is night, or at least there is no sun to speak of, and it is somewhat cold. And everywhere you look, you see nothing but sand and dunes. Furthermore, as you try to walk you can't help but feel that the very air feels murky, as it is trying to weigh you down.

The sand, also, feels strangely treacherous. Not because you feel like you are about to fall into a pit of quicksand. But instead, because every time you walk, your hoof seems to sink just a little more than it should.

You can't shake the feeling that something is trying to slow you down. Or perhaps, it's not just that something is trying to slow you down, but something is pushing down on this dream in its entirety.

"Still, it's strange. It doesn't feel like anything is truly wrong," you say, as you wander in a small circle. Testing your movements, and the feeling of this dream in general, as you go. "It's not that I don't know what to fix. I can't tell if there's anything to fix to begin with."

You stop walking for a moment, sitting down on the uncomfortable sand as you think for a few more moments.

Because this doesn't feel like something you can fix, or even something you can change. But still, if everypony else's dreams feel like a gust of air, or perhaps a cloud you can shape with your horn, then this dream feels like clay. Or perhaps tar.

Well, you won't find any answers just sitting around. And deep down, you know that Soft Sweeps went through a lot. You haven't asked your mother for details yet, and to be honest you wouldn't feel comfortable prying unless Soft herself was the one telling you about it. But still, you know that the relatively young Soft already went through more than several ponies suffer in their entire lives.

So, you try not to linger on this mystery. You will put this to the side for now, as something to keep an eye on. But you won't revisit this until you have a little more experience. Because who knows, maybe this is how traumas are reflected in a pony's dreams.

With that in mind, you get up on your hoofs, and start going in the direction you know you will find Soft.

- - -

This place isn't really a desert. Or rather, you don't think that calling it a desert is entirely accurate.

Sure, you are surrounded by sand. But this isn't really the case where there is only sand as far as your eyes can see. Because as you walked, you scaled a few dunes here and there, and you can tell that there is something in the distance. It is too dark to tell what it might be, but there is certainly a silhouette of sorts, of a forest or a city or something else entirely, in the far distance.

However, the main reason why you don't think this place is a desert is because you can hear water.

Not just water. You don't hear a stream or a river. You can hear the sound of waves, the constant to-and-fro movement of an ocean crashing against the land, only to retract shortly after.

You can hear it before you see it. But soon enough, after you finish climbing a particularly tall dune of sand, you find yourself looking at a beach. A long beach, that seems to stretch from one side of the horizon to the other. A great line of sand, that seems to divide this entire world into two halves, one dominated by land and the other by water.

And as your eyes run through the stretch of that vast beach, following the unerring compass you have inside of you, you soon find the shape of a lonely pony who seems to be sitting by the shore. A single pony, who is looking at that vast ocean, almost as if waiting for something.

That pony, of course, is Soft Sweeps. You know that for sure, even though you are still too far away to identify her.

So, you start making your way to her, cautiously climbing down from the tall dune, and making your way to the shoreline.

You try not to think too hard about any of this. You try not to think about how this dream is almost… almost oppressive.

You try not to think too hard about how this doesn't feel like a dream, but that it doesn't feel like a nightmare either.

You try not to think too hard about this, because you know you just woke up. It hasn't even been two weeks since you woke up. So, Princess of Dreams or not, you won't presume that you know everything about this. A thousand years is a long time, after all, and you would be a fool if you didn't think that your absence also created a gap in your knowledge.

Instead, you just make your way towards her. One hoofstep after the other.

Until you finally reach the young mare, who is sitting with her back turned to you as she looks at the endless and dark ocean before her.

"Soft?" you ask, although everything feels so off that you don't even know how to start this conversation anymore. "Is everything alright?" you say, hoping to at least attract her attention.

But thankfully, as soon as you start speaking, the young mare's ears perk up.

And the moment she turns around, and realizes it's you, an honest smile appears on her face.

"Selene! It's so great to see you!" she says, standing up and making her way towards you. And to your genuine surprise, the mare almost immediately brings you into a hug. "What are you doing here, you little rascal? Are you the one who's going to keep me company tonight? I'm so glad!"

She almost crushes you between her forelegs. It doesn't hurt, of course, but you can't help but feel shocked for a few moments.

Because Soft… well, she is usually a very controlled pony. She cares about you, and she worries about you, but she always respected your personal space while you were awake.

And you don't think she is doing anything wrong, either. You remember that ponies can act differently, and usually in a more honest way, when they are dreaming. It is their own dream after all. But still, seeing Soft act in such an energetic and upbeat manner is slightly…

"I… I guess I am?" you ask, as you slowly work your way out of this little surprise.

However, it takes you a few more moments to realize what exactly she just asked you.

What does the mean by… what did she say again? Keeping her company tonight? No, that you will be the one who will keep her company?

Does she… does she know this is a dream? That wouldn't be entirely strange. But the way she worded it certainly was unusual.

"Hold on, what do you mean keep you company?" you ask, as the young mare finally lets go of you. Although she still has a genuine smile on her face. "Well, I, uh… Yes, I'm here tonight. But… who else were you expecting, Soft?"

You ask those questions, and you try to keep your tone as casual as possible because you are not sure of how exactly you should proceed.

Because you are pretty sure that Soft Sweeps knows this is a dream. And, since you are still in your filly form, you are also pretty sure that she thinks you are a part of her dream.

So, there is no need to reveal her your other form yet. Not if you can keep her a little more comfortable, and perhaps speaking more freely, while she still thinks this is all just a dream.

"Pff, don't be silly. You know who I am talking about," she says.

And you watch as slowly, very slowly, the mare's expression begins to change.

You don't know when was the last time you saw Soft Sweeps this happy. The smile she had on her face, when she turned around and saw you, was almost heartwarming.

But now, as she say those words, you can't help but notice her face is slowly becoming…

Pained.

"You know… them," she continues, although you can tell she is doesn't really want to finish that sentence. "My… my brothers."

She says that, but you can tell she isn't just speaking with her words. More than just words, you can tell from the way her ears are slightly down, and the way that her wings are drooping slightly from her sides, that this is not… a happy subject.

And you immediately know why that is the case.

Of course… yes, it all makes sense now. In fact, you almost feel bad for not thinking about this before. It should have been obvious!

Because when she says she was expecting her brothers, what else could she be referring to but…

… well, her own family? What else could this be about, but the family she lost during the Catastrophe?

When you were still just Selene, you remember a period when you were still trying to figure out what the dreams you had meant. And you remember how you slowly pieced together that, rather than your own dreams, you were actually looking at other ponies' dreams.

And you remember how Soft's dreams were like, back then. You remember the large and well-kept house that she lived in, and the several little brothers and sisters that she would carry on her back as she flew through the skies.

So of course, when she tells you she was expecting one of her "brothers", this can only mean that…

"Oh, I… I am sorry, Soft," you say, making your way towards her and sheepishly leaning on to her side. "And yeah, I'm the one who's here tonight."

A small smile appears on her face, as you say that. And a few moments later, you can feel her raising the wing you were leaning against, covering you in a feathered hug as she lets out a small sigh.

"Thank you, Selene. I really appreciate it…"

Her voice is still a little low, and you can tell that her breathing is ever so slightly strained. But still, you think she is being honest, when she says that.

So, the two of you just stay like that for a little while.

Eventually, she lets go of you once again. Or at least she stops side-hugging you with her wing. After that, she turns towards the ocean and sits on the very same spot you first saw her, tapping with a hoof on the sand right next to her, for you to join her.

And you do just that, looking at the crashing waves and the constant movement of the dark water.

You don't think you should tell her what you came here to tell her… For some reason, you don't think you should tell her that you woke up, and that you are now a Princess. It just doesn't feel right. You feel like it's better to do it while she is awake

And what is more, the way she worded those things… You feel like you should try to understand that a little better.

If nothing else, this will help you figure out the best time, or the best way, to tell her the truth about you in the real world.

"Soft, the thing you just said… about your brothers. Do they come to visit you often?" you ask, turning away from the ocean and looking at her as you do.

You don't really like the way she purses her lips, as she listens to your words. But thankfully, that doesn't stop her from answering your question.

"You already know that, Selene… you know that. They visit me every night."

The way she says that, the heavy, almost pained tone of voice she is speaking with, makes a small part of you regret even asking.

Because it is very clear that she doesn't like talking about this. More than just that, you get the impression that it hurts her to talk about this. And the more she speaks, the more you feel bad for having asked that question.

But you don't have it in you to interrupt her either.

"And you also know that… you also know that I always remember. I always remember it, all the other dreams, when I fall asleep. And I always forget them when I wake up. You know that…" she trails off.

And you can tell that she isn't really looking at the ocean. Not anymore. Her eyes seem unfocused, almost glazed. As if the memories she is talking about are right in front of her, rather than just inside your head.

"Sometimes I even feel like I am living two lives," she says, forcing out a chuckle. Trying, but failing, to make a joke out of what she is talking about. "Sometimes, when I come back here, I just think… wow, I was really worried about that during the day? I really must have forgotten about…"

She trails off once again, but this time her expression is even darker than before. A mixture of grief, and something else besides, that is weighing down her features and slowly turning her face into a scowl.

But then again, how could she not be feeling like that?

You shouldn't have asked that. You shouldn't have asked that at all. Because if what she is telling you is the truth, if she really dreams about her brothers every single night… Well, then every night must be so painful for her, having to see the fillies and colts she will never be able to meet again in the real world.

Because if there is one thing you can see from her face, it's that she definitely does not enjoy seeing her siblings.

You can only imagine how heavy her grief must be…

"And they tell me stuff… sometimes," she continues, but her tone makes it clear she isn't really speaking to you anymore. You don't even know if she is speaking to herself. "And I don't like it when they tell me stuff. Stuff they wish they could do… stuff they want me to do… A-and then there are the times they talk about father…"

Her breathing cuts out for a few moments, a sharp and sudden sniff cutting her words off.

But you are thankful for that, because her tone of voice was so… so heavy that you didn't even realize you were just staring at her mutely. But her sniff shook you out of it, and you finally realize that the young mare is shaking. She is shaking, and she looks terrified. Or perhaps she looks like she is about to cry.

"I-it's alright Soft! Don't think about it," you say, once again pressing your small body against her side. Hugging her foreleg as you try to figure out what you could possibly say to make her feel better. "I'm here tonight, Soft. It's me. A-and we… we can talk about good things! We can make this a good dream, for you to remember, until you stop dreaming about…"

You stop talking, realizing you could be very close to saying something you shouldn't.

Still, you can see a small smile appear on Soft's face once again. Her body also stopped shaking, and a few moments later she is weakly ruffling your mane with her other hoof.

"Thanks, Selene… that really means a lot to me. I know you don't really like me, out there. But I'm really glad that…"

"What? No! Of course I like you, Soft. You and Silky are like the family I never had!" you say, interrupting the young mare before she can even finish speaking.

And this time, it is Soft who looks at you with muted surprise. The same way you were shocked by her warmth, when she first met you in this dream, you can now see she is honestly baffled by her words.

But a few moments later, her surprise turns into a calmer smile, as she pulls back the foreleg you are holding and puts it around you, pulling you into a hug.

"You really are a good filly, Selene. I'm glad mother brought you home."

You almost say something, but at the very last moment you decide not to. Because… well, you realize that if you say anything, or if you ask anything, you would just risk making things worse.

And as you look at Soft's expression, the way she is calmly looking at the distant ocean while enjoying your company, something inside of you tells you that…

… that this is the best thing you can do right now. That just staying here, by her side, is the best possible outcome in this situation.

So, you do just that. You stay by her side, and you try not to let your worries show on your face.

You just stay by her side, quietly listening as every now and then she tells you something.

I said I felt like I am living two lives, but that's not really what I meant... Because you see, in my real life, while I'm awake, things change. Every day I get a little older. Every day something happens.

You stay there with her, as you look towards the ocean. Trying not to think about the fact that you can see, even though there are no stars in the sky, and no moon shining down on this night.

You stay there with her, as you look towards the ocean. Trying not to think about the fact that you know there is a sun in this dream. You know, deep down, where the light is coming from.

But this life I have in my dreams? This… state? It never changes. Nothing ever happens here.

Because somehow you know that… that there is a sun, on the far side of that great ocean. There is a sun, just beyond the horizon, that is about to rise. And you can see everything around you thanks to the light of that sun, that is reflecting against the sky of the far horizon.

Even though you cannot really describe the color of everything around you. Even though you can't even tell if the water of this ocean is blue, or black, or red, or perhaps some other color that does not yet have a name.

Well… things do change. But only when…

You stay with Soft Sweeps until she wakes up.

And when morning arrives, and she knocks on your door to call you for breakfast, you ask her if she slept well.

You do not know if you feel encouraged or dispirited, when she just tilts her head and says she slept just fine. You are not sure of how you should look at this, when you ask her if she had any dreams, and she replies that she can't think of the last time she remembered having one.

And two days later, when you cautiously call her to your room at bedtime, and reveal to her your true identity, she almost faints.

Right, you forgot how she is also very scared of nobles in general. So, realizing she had been babysitting a Princess this whole time was certainly a fair reason for her to hyperventilate the way she did.

Well, at least she is in on it now.

Selene has revealed herself to Soft Sweeps. Your loyal maid will also help the Princess of the Moon to keep her disguise as much as possible.

But other than that, Selene did not mention anything else.

Last edited:
On a separate note, what are people hoping to get out of writing to our Uncle about how people perceive us? I don't really understand it.
well, it was my idea. I just went "What can our uncle do for us that wouldn't be too much of an ask" and I thought "well, he has contacts both among criminals, nobles, business ponies, and normal ponies. So he's good to tell us what Equestria's average opinion is. Why don't we ask him how they feel about our secret police and Velvet in particular?"

Are they reassured? Scared? Both?

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde

you know what, I've been convinced. It's expensive, but if we REALLY really have to we might be able to take a second commission next turn (assuming Rarity can afford it) to get the bits for Frangiclave expedition.

And I'm starting to like the idea of Velvet going to Comet with an Edge Influence, to basically Scream "Do something like that AGAIN to my friends and we'll have problems.

and an edge influence might be nice for the Red Church, I suppose.Combat and Heart are kind of our weak points. And it also makes Velvet more ready in case Copper decides to attack us, which is actually not that unlikely.

She could have used last turn to gather as many Windigoes as possible before an HEAVY attack, seeing how EiB was useless.

I still also like the original though, delaying Biedde to next turn.

uh, update two minutes before I was about to post this.

I'll read it in a bit I think

Current tally:
Vote Tally : Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience | Page 69 | Questionable Questing [Posts: 2124-2270]
##### NetTally 5.0.6

Task: 【NONE】
— Voters: 13

-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
No. of Votes: 4

[X] Plan Betterer Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Explore the Mansus
No. of Votes: 4

-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Shattered Stairwells
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
No. of Votes: 3

-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Find a new location in the Shattered Stairways

-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Explore the Mansus (x2)
--[X] Find a new location in the Ashen Wastes (3x)
--[X] Any overflow from exploring the Ashen Wastes should go to finding a new location in the Shattered Stairways

[X] Plan A Better Beckoning of Biedde
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 3, Edge 2 (-1 AP)
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 3 and Edge 2 reagents
-[X] Explore the Mansus
No. of Votes: 2

[X] Plan Business and Light without Comet
-[X] (AotL) Grail
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X][LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Talk to Filthy Rich
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan Sacrament
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) SH3, for The calling of an influence
-[X] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[X] "The proper things, in the proper manner, in the proper order. God help us all." (Perform a Ritual)
--[X] "The calling of Influence" (Secret Histories)
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Explore the Red Church
--[X][MANSUS] Tarrying in the Wastes is always a poor idea… but there is no other way to discover what this place holds. (Search for a new area)
-[X] These are the skills that allow you to climb the Mansus. (Actions towards your possible Sacraments)
--[X] Attempt, even if foolishly, to untangle the webs of the Secret Histories
---[X] Investigate your current skills. To try to understand them, if nothing else. (Current progress 1/3) (THIS IS A DANGEROUS ACTION)

[◈] Plan: Sacrament
[X] Potdl
[X] Solace2117

[X] Plan Wake and Dream
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Search Canterlot for the Outsider (Progress: 0/200)
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan A Costly summoning of Beddie
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] (Forge) Edge 4
-[X] (Leash) Filthy Rich
-[X] Summon Biedde
--[X] Sacrifice Edge 4 and Wrong Key
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich (RotT for lvl 6 book search instead if Jade fails her action)
No. of Votes: 1

[X] Plan Bright Mare Hired
-[X] (AotL) Grail(Comet Feet)
-[X] (Steppes) Ask about our reputation and how to make a more positive impression aka how to make sure ponies don't think we are a monster again(but not with those words)
-[X][LEARN] "Unknown Ritual – A Memory of Light" Step one
-[X] Explore the Mansus
--[X] Explore the Red Church

[X] Plan Business and Opportunities with Edge
-[X] (AotL) Edge
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
-[X] Explore the Mansus

[X] Plan the most Charming Mare.
-[X] (AotL) Heart
-[X] (Steppes) ask what's the general opinion about you and the Bureau among nobles and common ponies alike.
-[X] Summon Biedde
-[X] Summon A Mare in the Light
-[X] Explore the Mansus
-[X] Social Filthy Rich
-[X] Leash Filthy Rich.

Total No. of Voters: 13

People might want to start trimming down/consolidating their votes if more votes don't start coming in, cause otherwise we're going to be getting a tie :V

Last edited:
However, the fact remains that you just don't feel as close to her as you do with Silky, or your parents.
I don't think there's anything weird or wrong with that.

Whoever says you should love everyone in your family equally is just not being realistic. Everyone has favourites.

And soft sweep was both older, which makes establishing a connection harder, and also just a bit more distant than Silky.

Or maybe… maybe it's something else? Something you can't quite put your hoof on?
Also that, yeah
And why you are doing it this way? Why are you going into her dream to do this? Well, for several reasons. First, because you can tell that ponies simply trust you, or believe you more easily, when you talk to them in their dreams. They might not consciously realize they are dreaming, but you can tell you form a connection with them that is deeper than what two ponies have when they just talk in real life.

Good to know for the future. It might help when/if we tell Cadence, or Shining, or Twilight. Maybe even Copper if we don't just kill her instead.
Because this doesn't feel like something you can fix, or even something you can change. But still, if everypony else's dreams feel like a gust of air, or perhaps a cloud you can shape with your horn, then this dream feels like clay. Or perhaps tar.
Tar Is surprisingly appropriate
"Selene! It's so great to see you!" she says, standing up and making her way towards you. And to your genuine surprise, the mare almost immediately brings you into a hug. "What are you doing here, you little rascal? Are you the one who's going to keep me company tonight? I'm so glad!"
Both heartwarming and worrying.

Who visits her usually?!

But now, as she say those words, you can't help but notice her face is slowly becoming…

Pained.

"You know… them," she continues, although you can tell she is doesn't really want to finish that sentence. "My… my brothers."
...wolf ones or dead ones?!

"And you also know that… you also know that I always remember. I always remember it, all the other dreams, when I fall asleep. And I always forget them when I wake up. You know that…" she trails off.
Yep, most likely the wolves.

Because if there is one thing you can see from her face, it's that she definitely does not enjoy seeing her siblings.
Oh, the misunderstanding!

And I don't like it when they tell me stuff. Stuff they wish they could do… stuff they want me to do… A-and then there are the times they talk about father…"
...oh my glory.

If Ash comes visit now, Selene will have QUESTIONS for Velvet...

"Thanks, Selene… that really means a lot to me. I know you don't really like me, out there. But I'm really glad that…"
WHAT?! NO!

Because somehow you know that… that there is a sun, on the far side of that great ocean. There is a sun, just beyond the horizon, that is about to rise. And you can see everything around you thanks to the light of that sun, that is reflecting against the sky of the far horizon.

Even though you cannot really describe the color of everything around you. Even though you can't even tell if the water of this ocean is blue, or black, or red, or perhaps some other color that does not yet have a name.
An evil sun, wolf shaped? An ocean of blood?

Right, you forgot how she is also very scared of nobles in general. So, realizing she had been babysitting a Princess this whole time was certainly a fair reason for her to hyperventilate the way she did.
That's pretty funny 🤣

Selene has revealed herself to Soft Sweeps. Your loyal maid will also help the Princess of the Moon to keep her disguise as much as possible.

But other than that, Selene did not mention anything else.
See, Velvet? If you had told Selene, she might have connected the dots...

If we are summoning Biedde this turn then I'd like to send him to scout out Copper with intent to find the manuscripts and other evidence specifically instead of popping an Influence. I see no reason to do so beyond what amounts to morbid curiosity when Bird said an AotL will do us fine.

If we are summoning Biedde this turn then I'd like to send him to scout out Copper with intent to find the manuscripts and other evidence specifically instead of popping an Influence. I see no reason to do so beyond what amounts to morbid curiosity when Bird said an AotL will do us fine.
It depends on Biedde's sacrament too.

We're 2 scraps away from edge cap.

Depending on what his sacrament is, we might actually be ready NEXT TURN.

...also, just saying, but we might always offer Comet Sacrament as well.

Something to consider

Even though you can't even tell if the water of this ocean is blue, or black, or red, or perhaps some other color that does not yet have a name.
Is Selene unable to determine the color "just" because it is dark, or because it is not yet a color of the world? "Each Hour has its Color"?

A color that does not yet have a name, in such a case, would imply that it isn't a color lost. It can be, theoretically, the Wolf's Color, if it was lost enough for ponies to forget it. It could be Velvet's Color.

It could be the Mother of Wolves' color, if we were mistaken that such an ending implies merely Namehood.

I might be reading too much into this line, but it might imply things still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back