• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Yo, I'm early.

I agree with the rest so far, this change is nice.

I think we should focus on follower-specific locked actions, then the lunar bureau, then work from the general actions outside-in. Maybe we can introduce some of our followers as contractors?

We should also organize our priorities:
Glory, Sacraments, Summonings, Mareinette, delay Baldomare's departure, Daughter of Axes... there's quite a lot to deal with!

Can someone make a list of major preferences for Velvet AP, just so people can have an idea of how much they need for their preferences?
This isn't in any particular order, just what I remember people mentioning during the discussion over the past week or so, plus some of my own ideas/preferences

1. Comet Feet FO
2. Call a Secret Histories Influence (base cost 30 bits, +45 w/ Level 3 reagent)
3. Search for the Outsider
4. Secret Histories Sacrament
5. Filthy Rich social (can be deferred to free social action)
6. Read books
7. Summon Biedde (base cost 100 bits, +45 w/ Level 3 reagent, +90 w/ two)
8. Summon a MitL (base cost 55 bits, +5 w/ Level 1 reagent, +20 w/ Level 2, +45 w/ Level 3)
9. Beneath the Royal Castle, Part 2 (can be deferred to Followers)
10. Start on personal Winter Sacrament (only mentioned like once in the discussion, but it was mentioned; costs 30 bits)

If anyone has anything to add to this, feel free to point it out.

And while I'm at it, here's my personal list of Shit I Really Want Done for the follower phase:

1. RotT for Frangiclave
2. RotT for our manuscripts and any other physical evidence linking us to the cult
3. Do something about investigating the Manehattan cult (this will probably end up in Mareinette's hooves :V)
4. Someone needs to guard our house

Last edited:
During this turn, the following Fleeting Opportunities will arise, that will require a quick reaction from Velvet:
-"Confront Comet Feet about his... service to the Master, involving Shining Armor."
To make sure I'm reading right, this still doesn't cost AP?

If so, whoo boy. Okay. DOA is pretty much a given, and that means we have 3 AP minimum. Four if we buy one Base covering, which I heavily recommend. Fluttershy and the servants can fuck off for a turn, since poking Comet isn't a really good idea, or if you really want to get him let Selene spend an action. She doesn't need to train hard.
If anyone has anything to add to this, feel free to point it out.
This is pretty good, though I would expand with other socials—maybe people want Applejack investment or something—and raising Jade/Rarity Lore. Maybe Fluttershy too.

Then there's stuff like Mansus exploration and searching for expeditions/books, but those aren't major considerations for most people from what I can tell. Not this turn anyways, with Baldomare probably on Frangiclave scrying and not Influence channeling.

Copyedit delivery for @OurLadyOfWires! Again, I add the stuff I notice to my quotes while reading (and I saw you fixed a couple things since I put them in my quotes), and usually only read one time (though I did read the Rite of the Mother and Father a couple times), so depending on how emotionally engaged I am, I likely miss some things :V.

Rite of the Mother and Father
It takes you a lot less steps to cover the distance
fewer (I hate English too)

But the scenario breaks out when you try to look towards the far distance.
breaks down or breaks

"I want to thank you for your patient,"
your patience or being patient

The Princess of the Moon

You will all deal with any problems, regarding how much time she has and her coverup story, as they arise.
Perfectly comprehensible as a novel term, but the commonly used term is cover story. (36,700,000 for "cover story" vs. 10,300 results for "coverup story" on Google.)

Turn 19 - CHANGELOG - Follower's phase
The title "Turn 19 - CHANGELOG - Follower's phase" doesn't look right (long explanation). Short explanation: "follower's" means a singular follower's thing, versus "followers'" meaning all our followers' thing. So it seems like it's a single follower's phase or something. You coulld call it "Followers' phase", but I would call it "Follower phase" (understood to not imply whether there is more than one follower) or "Followers phase", actually; it seems pretty common in board games and the like to not have any possesives in the names of phases, though I can't really explain how that works.

You and Stormchaser have suggested to her a cover story involving "etiquette lesson"
"etiquette lessons"

I haven't had the energy to express all my thoughts for the past few updates (the most I've done is 👍), but I have been saving some choice quotes, and a bunch of reactions to the latest round of updates. Buffering them all out here now.

Delayed reactions to Turn 18 - Results, part 4
...the former assistant to the princess? uh, wiki tells me she's basically just a random no-name background pony in the show. So I assume the "assistant to the princess" thing was basically a fanon/fanfic thing. I've seen it fairly often.
About Raven Inkwell: she appears right in the intro of The Crystal Empire (part 1) during a scene in Princess Celestia's throne room where she is helping Princess Celestia with some papers.

EDIT: She's so adorable 😍.
Because of the nature of film/TV, it's usually unnatural to have exposition like Celestia saying "I'm glad my longtime assistant Raven Inkwell is here" for background details like this, but it's a reasonable assumption based on what she's doing, her cutie mark, and her appearance that she's an assistant that works in the castle. (You can pick your best fan theory to explain why her earth pony model is used in Luna Eclipsed 😇.)

Ergo - there are, in total, 10 variations of Velvet for this Sacrament.

Ergo - one variation of Velvet is a cultist of the WOLF DIVIDED.
We were truly lucky this time, I think, going and attempting this Sacrament. It's not a dangerous action for nothing.
I didn't put two and two together until I read this… but yeah. Now we know why this research is dangerous. And I hope/assume we've had this realization in-character, so Velvet takes precautions next time she swaps places. Or does it not work if the other Velvet doesn't have access to her life? It appears…
That is, until she looks at you, and gives you a short bow.

And the agreement of a time, no more than one hour, is reached-
…that there is an "agreement"/negotiation involved. So they may be unhappy if there aren't enough sights to see and things to do.

I appreciate the speculation on what ability we might gain out of this. Swapping/calling upon a sympathetic Velvet in another world seems possible.

Reactions to The Rite of the Mother and the Father
I wish I could show it to you
It popped into my head that we did have the option to bring Stormchaser and choose what to reveal.
[] Accompanying team: WRITE IN
Stormchaser (unknown variable)
Getting back with a strange filly in tow was potentially less fun because of this. (It was before I joined, so I haven't really formed an opinion of if we should have done something like that; just mentioning it as a curiosity.)

Can I look at your cutie mark?
I wonder if Selene/Luna/Seluna's cutie mark is different from Princess Luna's? Silky recognized it as Princess Luna's immediately, so I guess it's the same. I was going to say, since she may have a different identity now, she might logically have a new cutie mark, but since Selene didn't have one, I suppose this makes sense too.

I was also wondering if she will decide to take a new name. If "Seluna" is too on the nose, Wikipedia has a List of lunar deities ripe for the picking :V. But her description in the character sheet is rather poignant:
"What should you call her? Well, if you are asking that question then you already failed the secret test. Those who love her call her Selene. Those who know of her call her Luna. And she is happy to be called your daughter."

Relatedly, in terms of how she understands her identity, how much is she "fully Selene and fully Luna" versus "a third persona that has the memories of both" versus "all personas were always the same 'person'"? (Sidenote: I feel like I'm arguing about some theological topic… 😆) We did see the Luna and Selene personas talk to her as entities distinct from the new persona in her dream. And of her memories, she says:
"I need time… Time to think, time to figure out stuff… Even figure out what's in my head, because I remember everything, but it's like I'm reading it from a book? It's like… like I don't remember it, but I can remember if I look for the book and, I don't know, open it to read from it."

The crystal horseshoes she has on
Some commenters expressed confusion about this; in the show, Princess Luna is pretty much always depicted with her regalia on.

Not visible in any wiki screenshots, but the headpiece lacks any insignia/is a simple black tiara.(1)(2)
In fact, if memory serves, Princess Celestia can be seen sleeping with her crown and shoes on (reference) 😆; I don't remember the exact episode though. One fanfic (Sharing the Night chapter 10) I can recall considers their regalia to be a manifestation from an incorporeal form…
"This," Luna said, tapping a hoof on her peytral, "and this," she continued, moving her hoof to her barrel, "are the same thing."

"Oh, well that explains everything," Twilight said sarcastically.

"Does it not? You will manifest your regalia as you do your body. It is denser and will prove a better source of power. No doubt you have been disappointed in your purely mortal capabilities since your ascension; this will fix—"
…and relating to this quest, I would interpret that her horseshoes are a core part of her self-image, and thus automatically manifested when she "woke up" and when she adopts her "Luna" appearance.

Last edited:
This is more to Luna meeting Celestia in her dreams, but I think the Daybreaker thing is at least part of why the Harmony ending is too impractical to pursue; if the Outsider is reunited without taking the (likely large) effort to remove Daybreaker from Celestia's mind, there's a very good chance the resulting being ends up corrupted before it can lead to Harmony and becoming the new biggest threat to Equestria.

Still, I think researching the Memory of Light may be worthwhile to do anyways (especially if we don't particularly need Jade's action that turn).

So for Selene I think the best use of her in the short term is 1 action to do/help do something 1 action to train (And her diligent to train again of course) then the turn after do 2 training actions and a mc action to get her lores up to 4 on that turn

Another possible choice for Velvet AP: looking for expedition sites. Esp, if we call a SH Influence, since we don't exactly have a SH Confidant who would be really good at it.

Hmm. So yeah, personally thinking, I think my preferences are:
1: DoA summoning
2: Biedde summoning
3: Book reading
4: Filthy Rich social (non-free)
-Free social: Rarity improvement
5: Either Jade Improvement or Outsider search

And then I don't really give a shit what else happens this turn except maybe the Frangiclave scrying. We don't need Wrong Keys from DoA yet, and if we're saving money for Frangiclave expedition… maybe get a Knock Lesson off her?

Ooh, actually, make 5 starting on the Knock Sacrament if we can get Bird to confirm that's possible as long as we lock in a Knock lesson.

@OurLadyOfWires

I have some concerns about splitting the planning into phases. For two main reasons: we'll wind up doing person-specific actions anyways, and I think it'll be hard to avoid making Velvet plans even in this first phase, especially because Bits are very important as a cross-over limitation between the phases.

Person-specific Planning

In part because of our 'tall' build, our followers have pretty unique skillsets. Our mortal followers are good at certain things, and mediocre (base stats don't cut it!) at others. On the other hand, Names's actions are so powerful we generally want them doing specific things that best leverage those skills. I think this means we'll still wind up planning actions based on "Person X does Action Y" -- because we wouldn't take Action Y unless we had the person best-suited to it.

I guess it might be different when we also have a trio of Mares-in-the-Light, and a Forge summon, and (etc.). But even then, the fact that Lore levels make followers just so much better at specific things means we'll still want actions that best use those skills. The pool is generally only useful when we don't know what to do with someone... but that's what 'cover our bases' is for.

Being able to 'cover our bases' is fantastic and I definitely think it makes the game (and narrative) better! But I'm not sure how much moving to a pool of actions will really change things.

Phase Entanglement

The one exception to the above is Velvet. She can do everything well! She's one hell of a horse.

Because of that, if we have a specific action we want to undertake, we almost always face the choice of use a follower or use Velvet. As a consequence, making a decision that a follower does something tends to be deciding that Velvet won't. And so I worry we'll wind up having to ~basically make Velvet's plan even in this first phase.

Thinking about this turn, for example. If we want to supercharge Velvet's SH and do some searching, we probably also want her searching for a Level 5 book. But if we don't go down that route, we might want Jade scrying for one. Do we want Luna to summon a creature, or do we want Velvet to? Do we want Mareinette to social a specific friend, or do we want Velvet to?

Because we shape Velvet's planning based on our followers' planning, we wind up making Velvet decisions even in Phase 1.

The AP/Bit Dilemma

Of course, there are also two resources that explicitly stretch over the phases -- the resources that constrain our planning, AP and Bits.

I think these will further intensify the need to make Velvet's plan during the follower phase. We might be okay with respect to AP -- though we're already faced with the question of "How badly do we need an extra action" (and discussing things above), +/-1 AP is probably manageable.

It's much more of an issue with Bits. Expeditions or rituals are fairly expensive, so spending bits on Followers doing them means not spending bits on Velvet doing rituals. This is particularly highlighted by the Commission action -- it's built to give us +100 bits for the turn, but we won't know if we need them until we decide on Velvet's plan.

Whew, that was a lot! I really appreciate the thought you put into this, Bird, and I hope you take this as someone who really likes this quest (and planning for it!) thinking through its implications. I'd be curious as to other readers' thoughts on the above, as well.

I definitely agree that planning was getting large (though not unfeasible). I think that might just unavoidable for a late stage quest, in some ways? (We don't have it as bad as Divided Loyalties or Marked for Death, at least..?)

Ultimately, I worry we're trading some ease in the process of decision-making (having fewer vote options at a given time, as we'll still be making mostly follower-specific decisions) for a lot messier actual decision-making in practice (having to plan Velvet's actions without an actual plan or voting).

Last edited:
Sketch of my planning, btw:

Velvet: DoA, Read books, Biedde (after Forge 4), ??
Free Social: Teach Jade?

Then perhaps things look like...
Baldomare: Scry Frangiclave
Mareinette: Social Filthy Rich
Jade: Scry Level 5 book?
DoA: Keys? Knock Lesson? Canterlot expedition?
Servants/Fluttershy: Cover our Bases, unless we need Comet guarding (see Q3 below)
Rarity: Work/Commission if we need the money (depends on Rarity's roll).
Luna: Study/Maybe cover bases?
Lunar Bureau: Not sure... maybe Detectives + Constables follow-up, Commissioner visit Eclipse/Midday Dew

There's also a SH-heavy plan I can imagine:

Velvet: DoA, Call Influence, SH Sacrament, Search for Outsider, Search for High-Level Books (?)
(Might want to grab +1 AP from constables for another search action/sacrament if we have the reroll still?)

Some questions for the thread that I'm not sure about:
1) If Jade uses the Book for scrying, can we still use it for studying?
2) Anyone have an idea how much Canterlot Pt2 would cost?
3) How on earth does book reading work again? What's the DC like?

(Okay I should have slept hours ago, oh god what have I done, have a good night everyone!)

Last edited:
I'll note that we don't need an Influence to do Outsider search. We get +34 at base, and can theoretically drop an AotL on it for +54 total. With the reroll, that's a really good chance of getting 100+ on the end result, and we only need that twice. Even if we slam the Influence on top we still need to do two AP minimum.

I'll note that we don't need an Influence to do Outsider search. We get +34 at base, and can theoretically drop an AotL on it for +54 total. With the reroll, that's a really good chance of getting 100+ on the end result, and we only need that twice. Even if we slam the Influence on top we still need to do two AP minimum.
We mainly want the Influence for the SH Sacrament, iirc. It's just that it'll also benefit the outsider search.

Last edited:
We mainly want the Influence for the SH Sacrament, iirc. It's just that it's also benefit the outsider search.
Sure. What I'm saying is, they don't have to go hand in hand.

For example:
DOA summon
Read Books
Outsider
Biedde summoning

That's four AP and gets some good stuff without even needing a base covering. Or you could drop one of the other two actions for a second Outsider search, maybe with Fluttershy setting up a second AotL like I remember someone mentioning earlier. Or keep these four, get one base covering, and use that for the second Outsider search. Burn a Selene action for it or something if we get the extra AotL.

It's not entirely efficient, but if we start thinking of action types as bundles that have to go together, it'll limit our creativity.

I agree the previous system while becoming unwieldy is tried and tested while this one seems to be clunky and doesn't really fix the issues of the previous.

Also I don't really see how this has changed anything about the previously discussed plan. There is no point in summoning both Biede and an MitL this turn, they're both an unnecessary drain on bits and AP that give 'lesser' AP back.

Biede's summon chance is too low for my liking, especially for the bits investment, and even if we do summon him the only task we can give him is either guarding us or scouting Copper, the former we can ask Comet or Selene to do and the later we were gonna task Marinette with seeing as Filthy's social is being deferred to the free social.

As for MitL we would again need to invest personal AP and while they can scry for us or guard us Jade is doing the only other necessary scry right now and again Comet/Selene can guard us.

Summoning them for the sake of it is a bad idea, we were already planning on leaving Biede to turn 20.

As for the Outsider AP I suppose we could drop the Comet guard action entirely and have Fluttershy and the servants give up their AP to give Velvet an additional one. On the other hand no ritual attack this turn doesn't mean there won't be a attack. Though I suppose Selene could take one guard and one training action thus making the point moot.

Edit: Whoops I'm an idiot I left a slot for fleeting opportunities in the last plan and that's where we can slot in the Outsider AP

Last edited:
Wooooo, Selune! @OurLadyOfWires , is Luna's "Diligent" self-training action in addition to her normal actions? If so that's great for Selene.

Now to plan matters.

We are summoning the DoA. She's just too useful not to. Especially if Copper is prepping a summon push on us, since she can give us keys for bullying such creatures. Assuming she doesn't want to do the bullying herself. This is even more important if Copper's quietness is because she was prepping to summon Axe. I drive much joy from ruining such things, I must admit.

We are gonna have to take a Commission for Rarity, I think. We are pretty bit-starved all things considered, in practically all of our potential plans.

Especially since we should summon Biedde. Because the longer he's not summoned by us, the more likely he is going to be summoned by someone else. That would be really bad.

Marinette should either give us lessons, get us money, or go eat Copper. Unless Ash beat her to it.

Hopefully Ash brings us a useful gift and not an announcement that he got Daybreaker's phone number and that they talk about their mutual love of worldwide arson all day.

Fluttershy and Servants should give us another AP.

Selune should train, and maybe guard us.

Let Baldomare scry, unless we can't afford it. In such a case we should perhaps have her hit us with that sweet SH Influence.

The Lunar Bureau I am the most torn on. On the one hoof, I kind of want to full send in the Changeling investigations. Some tangible progress on that might help unruffle Celestia ever so slightly. On the other hoof, Constables giving us AP is really useful. On the third hoof, having investigators go poking about for ancient myths and buried dangers may be more productive than changeling investigation, in which case the constables need to be put in the changeling case to keep ostensibly on task. Bah.

Also I now keep thinking of Ash being Daybreaker's hype-wolf belting out "Red Sun Over Paradise."

Actually, thinking about it, the more I kinda just… really want to do the Outsider search and Sacrament. Biedde and book reading and socials are cool, but unless we're really expecting Copper to try jumping us, I don't think we need any of them immediately. This is, however, the first time where we've had a completely quiet turn in… gods, I don't even know. Really fucking long. There's almost nothing we absolutely need to do with Velvet specifically except summoning DoA.

So. Call up DoA. Burn our reagent creation on an SH reagent and call the Influence. Then do two Outsider searches and a sacrament action. Take this one chance to actually do things purely selfishly for once and actually make progress on our main goals rather than just… maintaining side stuff. Let all these minions do their job and handle everything else for us.

That's probably the plan I want.

7 or higher: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: Daybreaker is born, shackled by her regretful creator. The result of this battle of wills will define the future of Equestria. (???)

1: Daybreaker has come, and Equestria shall slave under the glare of the sun. (Introduce "hyperthermia" mechanic)

0 or lower: "Lady Coelle's actions are not alien to ponykind. But a mirror of their consequences certainly is."
Going back to this for a second...

Selene and Velvet are going to have a lot of work to do once Selene decides on a plan, I suspect. We're possibly going to have to work our way up through Celestia's possible mental states until we hit 7+, and we'll be starting from the third-lowest option out of eight, and quite possibly the lowest it could have been and still be recoverable.

My outlines for the turn:

The one I would prefer the most:

AotL: SH for the Outsider Search
Forge free action to create a SH reagent specific use to be discussed
Knock free action to explore path up to the White Door
Detectives to search for changelings
Constables to do Paperwork
Commissioner action used to further Bureau loyalty
Free social to raise SL with Filthy
1 AP to summon DoA
Comet AP
Call down Influence
SH sacrament action
Outsider search
Jade to scry for Lore related evidence against Velvet
Fluttershy to ask Comet to guard
Rarity to take a commission
Steepes action: No clue
Servants to repeat previous action
Leash on Filthy
Baldomare to scry for Frangiclave
Marinette to infiltrate Copper's cult with strict rules of conduct
DoA to Canterlot expedition
Luna both AP to train (specific action to be discussed)

One for confirmed level 5 book for those worried about it but we probably won't have the bits for it so it's kinda useless:

AotL: SH for the book search
1 AP to summon DoA
Comet AP
Call down Influence
SH sacrament action
Outsider Search
Personally search for books
Fluttershy to cover bases
Servants to cover bases
Leash on Filthy
Luna one AP to train (specific action to be discussed) and the other to guard.

One for Forge book reading:

AotL: Lantern for book reading
1 AP to summon DoA
Comet AP
Call down Influence
SH sacrament action
Outsider Search
Read the two Forge books and the unknown book
Servants to cover bases
Leash on Filthy

And one last plan for those who want Biede this turn for some reason. (He isn't going anywhere seeing as we've climbed the highest of everyone, hell the others probably haven't made it past the Concursum yet, it had a pretty high DC. Someone would need to have found him last turn and decided to summon him this turn for it to matter and I don't see the point of summoning him this turn both because the AP isn't that valuable this turn and because we won't be getting it this turn if we want to be cautious about our summon chances).

AotL: Lantern for book reading
Forge free action to create a reagent for Biede summon
1 AP to summon DoA
Comet AP
Call down Influence
SH sacrament action
Read Forge Books and the unknown book
1AP to summon Biede
Servants to cover bases
Leash on Filthy

Also I would like some clarification, can the AotL be applied to calling down an influence? If so would it be better to use it to increase the chances of a level 4 influence then to apply it directly to the Outsider search? As for the SH reagent, who has most need of it? Our Influence calling, Jade's scry or Baldomare's scry. Presumably not the last but I'm covering my bases here.

Last edited:
Also I would like some clarification, can the AotL be applied to calling down an influence? If so would it be better to use it to increase the chances of a level 4 influence then to apply it directly to the Outsider search? As for the SH reagent, who has most need of it? Our Influence calling, Jade's scry or Baldomare's scry. Presumably not the last but I'm covering my bases here.
AotL is application bonus only. All rituals use Knowledge bonus. So no, it can't boost an Influence calling.

I think that splitting the turn in phases is a mistake.

What we want followers to do is based on what we want Velvet to do and if we don't know what Velvet can do, then a lot of people may be left dissatisfied with their choices.

And if we know what Velvet can do then there is no point in splitting the turn since we would plan Velvet's part here anyway.

I just don't want to run the risk of Biedde being found and summoned by others. He's a rather terrifying assassin. And we would be a very tempting target.
While I understand this, I think waiting until T20 isn't a very high risk. We can make an Edge 3 reagent this turn, some other one (Edge 2/Knock 1?) on Turn 20, then summon him with a much better chance of success (also on T20).

Edit: Also, keep in mind that the Woods just got ashed. Copper's going to have to find her way back to the Blank Door same as us, and she'll have to deal with Wolves. There is... very little chance of her getting to him this turn imo, so we can afford to wait and do it w/ better chances on success on T20.

Last edited:
Hmmm... tentatively...

Exclusive Actions:
  • Rarity: X
  • Jade: Scry for a Level 5 Book
  • Fluttershy: X
  • Baldomare: Scry for the Frangiclave
  • Mareinette: X
  • DoA: X
  • Selene:
    • Unlock Edge for protection
    • Unlock Knock for escaping
  • Household servants: X
Lunar Bureau:
  • Detectives: Follow Up
  • Constables: (investigate the expedition underneath the palace?)
  • Commissioner: Solar Court investigation or Get Your Hoofs Dirty
General Actions:
  • Get the Level 5 Book
...I think we might need to lock Mareinette as part of Covering Bases to prevent her from doing a General Action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back