• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Family Man | Worm Quest

Well, what do you know.
A Worm quest about Danny.
I expect great things.

[X] It's dinner at her place, hopefully she hasn't forgotten about it while working on her... toys.

It has been a day.

Is the Bii going to update?

[Menaces with pot]

Can someone do a tally for me? ;_;

voting closed~

It's dinner at her place, hopefully she hasn't forgotten about it while working on her... toys.

[X] It's dinner at her place, hopefully she hasn't forgotten about it while working on her... toys.
Event Roll 1d100=77

It's been over a month since you first met Grace, and really you've found yourself enjoying her company.

Enough that you've invited her to dinner at your home, or had lunch with her at your day job as the Dockworkers Union spokesperson and the head of hiring for the Dockworkers association.

Thus, you were surprised when Grace invited you to dinner... at her place.

You've known Tinkers in the past though, and can only hope that she hasn't forgotten about dinner while distracted by work on her toys. Or worse, gotten the dinner incorporated into her project.

You had made sure to bring home take-out for Taylor from the burger restaurant that she's declared had the best burgers. You would have gotten her chinese, but she hasn't liked "foreign" food lately and has defaulted to pasta, burgers or pizza when you asked her if she wanted take out or delivery.

Still, with things all set up, you left the house in good spirits while Taylor sulked and read the books she gotten from the library.

The drive to Grace's home was actually quiet.

o/~ Yesterday,
all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks like they're here to stay~
Oh, I believe in yesterday...
Suddenly,
I'm not half the man I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me.
Yesterday came suddenly. o/~

The music that played on the radio called to a better yesterday, when things were better. But that was normal for Brockton Bay. Still, as you drove you hummed along to the songs that played.

Grace's home was a loft located in the area between the Boardwalk and the Docks. Which did made it easier for her to visit you.

As you parked in front of the warehouse that Grace had converted into her home, you're glad to see that there was no signs of smoke, fire, explosions or such that indicated a Tinker's project gone wrong.

In fact, as you knocked on the door, you can smell something delicious. It appeared that she hadn't forgotten the dinner. How delightful.

The door opened and Grace was standing there with a smile. She was shorter than you and dressed nicely in a turtleneck and slacks combo that suited her.

"Grace."

"Danny, come in, come in."

Surprisingly, the lower level of the warehouse was walled off, giving it the appearance of an house, while the rest of the floor was hidden from sight.

You are led upstairs by Grace.

It was the upstairs loft that makes it feel like you're in a home than a hidden base. The loft had a lived in feel, and was furnished accordingly. If you didn't know better, you could have sworn that Grace had been living here for years instead of just a few months.

What Do?
[X] Write In

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_D3VFfhvs4[/embed]​

Soh!

Unless a deviant vote shows up and overthrows the current dominant vote... looks like this one wins.

Make small talk about dinner plans, how her day went... What sort of project she's been working on? Tinkers like when someone's interested in their work, right?

I'm okay with this.

A note Bii, there are times when you kind of fail to provide a...hook, I guess you could say, for the players to grab onto and shape their votes around.

[x] Make small talk about dinner plans, how her day went... What sort of project she's been working on? Tinkers like when someone's interested in their work, right?

Deathwings said:
I'm okay with this.

A note Bii, there are times when you kind of fail to provide a...hook, I guess you could say, for the players to grab onto and shape their votes around.

[me=Biigoh]makes a note! "Okay!"[/me]

Biigoh said:
[me=Biigoh]makes a note! "Okay!"[/me]

Yeah, that's a problem I found with a couple of quests, where we would be led to a point in the story where there were no real immediate priorities, and basically asked to come up with our own plans. This usually resulted in several rounds of the players floundering around with several 1 or 2 vote options before we get back to the plot. The best Quests tend to have enough structure to give players an idea of options, but enough freedom to take a third option (or fourth, or fifth).

Last edited by a moderator:
*notes this down to try and help Sibling's quests*

Makes a note that a certain girl didn't kill an evil god. Maybe. Who knows.

Make small talk about dinner plans, how her day went... What sort of project she's been working on? Tinkers like when someone's interested in their work, right?

You weren't unaware of how tinkers worked.

You've had contact with tinkers in the past, had employed tinkers even.

They had this thing, you know, where they would get focused on their toys, and of how they would show them all and so on.

For a moment, you're lost in your memories of Professor Psycho and the way she had laughed as she used her somatic devices to drive her victims mad with fear so that they would flee her or outright surrender without needing to fight.

As such, it was only common courtesy to ask how her day went, and of the current project she was working on. After all, tinkers liked it when someone was interested in their work or wanted to know more. It wasn't just the villanious tinkers, really... you knew that most capes had that moment after triggering... it's just with tinkers, that mania tended to stay with them.

As such, you find yourself smiling at her as you hand her the flowers you had gotten for her. "How has your day been?"

There was a replying smile from her as she placed the flowers in a glass bottle and filled it with water. "So, so... the project I've been working on isn't progressing as fast as I would like it to."

"Oh?"

She shrugged. "I'm good within my specialty, and it really does help that I was studying engineering before my trigger. But there's only so much I can do alone."

You had to nod at her statement. Because when it came down to it, there was only so much any single cape could do unless they had some kind of bullshit selection of powers, and even then... it was better to work in a team. This went double for a tinker, they could build bullshit technology, but without infrastructure, there was only so much they could do. Which was why Toybox, the Protectorate and the Guild were generally good for tinkers who wanted and needed the resources to hit the big time.

The conversation continued along the lines of how parts and materials were difficult to get, at least without rising red flags all over the place. Even the underground market could only do so much.

You nod politely now and then and make the normal sympathic comments, because really it was an on-going issue that every single non-heroic or rogue cape had to experience.

Eventually, it let to you being shown the project she had been working on.

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QuY69q9jFg[/embed]​

The Project...
[X] It's... a power armor build around designs from the internet that requires a tinker to truly make work. The power plant is an explosive reactor, the muscular system is designed to give explosive bursts of speed and strength, an explosive flight system, it's weaponry... she IS an explosive tinker.
[X] Bombs designed to mimic cape powers!
[X] Dimensional breaking bombs.
[X] It's The Big One! With this, she could hold a city hostage!
[X] Write In.

What Do?
[X] Compliment her on her project and ask when she thinks she'll be done.
[X] Compliment her on her project and ask if she needs any help.
[X] Point out problems with her project.
[X] Have dinner first before looking in-depth at her project.
[X] Write In.

[X] It's... a power armor build around designs from the internet that requires a tinker to truly make work. The power plant is an explosive reactor, the muscular system is designed to give explosive bursts of speed and strength, an explosive flight system, it's weaponry... she IS an explosive tinker.

Current Tally

Project Votes
SV - A Nation's Virtue, Happerry, Ridiculously Average Guy, BloodWitch1337, Taugundrone, Arbit, Strunkriindiisk
QQ - kinglugia, Xicree
SB - Ganurath, Stormseed, Edgar Fizzlewhip

SB - Anasurimbor, Jack of Olives, Techpriest of Tzeentch, skaro
QQ - Vindictus
SV - krahe

[X] It's The Big One! With this, she could hold a city hostage!
SB - kishin

What Do Votes
SV - A Nation's Virtue, Happerry, Ridiculously Average Guy, BloodWitch1337, krahe, Taugundrone, Strunkriindiisk
QQ - Vindictus

SB - Anasurimbor, kishin
QQ - kinglugia

[X] Have dinner first before looking in-depth at her project.
SB - Jack of Olives, Techpriest of Tzeentch, Ganurath, skaro, Stormseed. Edgar Fizzlewhip, Arbit

-[X] Compliment her on her project and ask if she needs any help.

[X]Compliment her on her project but point issues with an Explosion suit of power armor. Ya know reactions, training, coordination programming that many bombs being close to someone with love while expecting to get into fights being deeply discomforting.

[X] It's a healing bomb? Apparently she is planning on both selling them to the PRT and hospitals in order to build up a good reputation.

Project
- QQ kinglugia, Xicree, Prince Charon, Larekko12, SV A Nation's Virtue, Happerry, Ridiculously Average Guy, BloodWitch1337, Taugundrone, Arbit, Strunkriindiisk, Mgunh1, Gideon020, Evillevi, inirlan, Night_stalker, wdango, WanderingEye, SB Ganurath, Stormseed, Edgar Fizzlewhip, ArcticMan94, Mochinator, Enohthree, Robert Korsakas
[25] It's... a power armor.

- QQ Vindictus, SV krahe, edmantgoog, Trilonias, minuseven, SB Anasurimbor, Jack of Olives, Techpriest of Tzeentch, skaro, abyssalentity, Zen, 1986ctcel, defuse00, MilkHornets
[14] Dimensional breaking bombs.

- QQ cyberswordsmen
[1] It's a healing bomb? Apparently she is planning on both selling them to the PRT and hospitals in order to build up a good reputation.

- SV MHLord, LordPanther14, SB Thozmp
[3] Bombs designed to mimic cape powers!

- SB kishin
[1] It's The Big One! With this, she could hold a city hostage!

- SB Giygas
[1]Write in: it is a set of Bombs designed to mimic other tinkers powers!

Action
- QQ kinglugia, Xicree, Prince Charon, cyberswordsmen, SV Gideon020, edmantgoog, Evillevi, minuseven, MHLord, SB Anasurimbor, kishin, Zen, Enohthree, 1986ctcel
[14] Compliment her on her project and ask if she needs any help.

- QQ Vindictus, SV A Nation's Virtue, Happerry, Ridiculously Average Guy, BloodWitch1337, krahe, Taugundrone, Strunkriindiisk, Mgunh1, Night_stalker, wdango, LordPanther14, MilkHornets
[13] Compliment her on her project and ask when she thinks she'll be done.

- QQ Larekko12,
[1] Compliment her on her project but point issues with an Explosion suit of power armor. Ya know reactions, training, coordination programming that many bombs being close to someone with love while expecting to get into fights being deeply discomforting.

- SV Arbit, Trilonias, inirlan, WanderingEye, SB Jack of Olives, Techpriest of Tzeentch, Ganurath, skaro, Stormseed, Edgar Fizzlewhip, abyssalentity, ArcticMan94, Mochinator, Giygas, Thozmp, defuse00, Robert Korsakas
[17] Have dinner first before looking in-depth at her project.

cyberswordsmen said:
[X] It's a healing bomb? Apparently she is planning on both selling them to the PRT and hospitals in order to build up a good reputation.
Can we really do this?
Seriously?

Tinkers are kind of bullshit

We should spread this around. Like really. Spread it around. It might be too lat in the vote though.

Larekko12 said:
We should spread this around. Like really. Spread it around. It might be too lat in the vote though.

Doh ho ho ho ho~

It's power armor tiem with a bang!

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRqnvUbj5E[/embed]
[X] It's a power armor. Have dinner first before looking in-depth at her project.

Dinner was nice and quiet, and she hadn't made anything too exotic in terms of food. After all, there was only so many ways to cook lamb, and roasting was in every single ethnic style of cooking.

Which was why you enjoyed the lamb roast with vegetables, and some wine on the side.

Quiet and peaceful.

You could get used to this, as you and Grace talked about various things. Such as the economy and the bad job that mayor Christner was doing in attracting new businesses, of the latest cape mercenaries who've moved in and out of Brockton Bay, or the parahumans that you heard were involved in how Madagascar closed its ports and airspace after the overthrow of its last parahuman generalissimo.

It was nice, having someone that you could talk things with.

You couldn't really talk about things like this with Taylor, she was after all just a school kid and it didn't look like she was going to trigger any time soon. At least, as far as you can tell, she hadn't joined any gangs either... which was a good thing.

Still, eventually, dinner ended and Grace took you down to her workshop.

Like any tinker workshop, the equipment here looked like it was an engineer's wet dream mixed with equipment that was taken out of a laboratory, and a mechanic workshop.

The center piece of the workshop was Grace's current heart and joy, the project that she had been working on since she had set up shop in Brockton Bay.

You had to admit that virtually all tinkers tended to have some sort of protective item or system that they build, be it force fields, power armor, vehicles, bunkers... they all build something to protect their squishy bodies. Some tended to build offensive weaponry, taking to the axiom of the best defense was a overwhelming offense.

That was the one true weak spot of any tinker; their squishy bodies were no different from any other normal human. That was the weak point of any tinker, and thinker really. They had no actual powers that affected the physical world or body, all they had were their knowledge and equipment.

And really, given the way that Grace had been running from the ABB ruffians and their leader, it was something that she likely had come to accept, since she had admitted that she had used up her bombs to slow down and remove some of her pursuers.

Still, the specialty that Grace had meant that she would need to go for weaponry and offense over armors or vehicles or fortifications in terms of protections.

Which was why you were rather surprised to see what looked like a split open carapace; thick black rubbery or perhaps latex material over which metal components and silver white armor plates would fit.

"The heart of this suit really is a simple and elegant system of fusion nuclear accelerators that takes in air from the intake system, and..." Grace looked at you as she paused before shaking her head. "Well, I could go on about the acceleration of protons, the stripping of electrons, but I suspect that you know what's involved in that."

You had to nod sheepishly at her. "I did do some research into the physics of how my powers work."

"But yeah, the accelerator generates electricity that feeds into my capacitors, which goes back into powering the accelerators, as well as fueling the reactions in my thrusters," she pointed out the flight system and motion enhancers. "The defenses is two tier, and relies on caches of liquid crystals within the inner layer that when charged with electricity reacts to force with an equal amount of explosive counterforce and then 'noise cancels' it out. Also, armor plating which works as is, but I'm still working on the repulsor field effect generators for them."

You had to whistle at that, it appeared that the ABB fight that she had been in had given her... ideas and a certain appreciation of how it would be nice to be able to take hits.

"Weapon-wise... I've got an enhanced musculature system that uses micro explosive pulses to provide some decent Brute strength. I've got my knuckle bombs, basically shaped explosive caps on the knuckles for physical beat downs," Grace's firm nod held a certain look in her eyes. If it was possible, she likely would enjoy using them on Lung, it appeared. "And my primary weapon would be this."

'This' turned out to be a bulky cylinder not attached to her armor. "It's a nuclear pumped gamma ray laser. This is where I've run into a problem, in that it's overkill and I would need to have a flight system for each one and they would need to be disposed after each use."

Now you had to wince. "I can see how that would be overkill, especially if it's outside of an Endbringer fight or a fight with an S class threat."

"I know, right?" She nodded at you. "Which is why I'm going to have to stick with my bombs and bomb launcher for now until I can get something suitably long range."

What Do?
[X] Go out and have dessert with Grace?
[X] Go out sight seeing with Grace? She HAD been stuck mostly in her workshop for the last few months.
[X] Go and watch a movie with Grace? You had the latest movies from Earth Bet on laser disc.
[X] Write In

Users who are viewing this thread

Back