• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

I will become God-Harem King of the World! [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Yang:
[X] First Pulse
Ruby:
[X] Ivory Pestle
Mittelt:
[X] Ivory Pestle
Asia:
[X] Thaumaturgy
-[X] Alchemy

[X] Merits: Selective Conception and Common Sense
[X] Flaws: Climate Sensitivity (Cold)

Yang:
[X] First Pulse
Ruby:
[X] Titan Felling
Mittelt:
[X] Ivory Pestle
Asia:
[X] Thaumaturgy
-[X] Alchemy

Walkir said:
Nah, I'm not the kind of guy that only picks flaws to get a "roleplaying challenge" ;).
Let alone exchanges merits for flaws...

Please drop the ward and add

Edit: drop the ward, I mean of course...^^

I was under the impression that getting flaws was the ONLY way to get merits?

we could cheese it with something that we hope will never come up, but then either we are metagaming to free stuff, or the GM is going to fuck is with cold specifically because we chose it as a weakness.

either way, taking Ruby as a Ward is more incharacter, fits the story better, and frankly just feels better, to me.

If we just make sure that the style we chose works with their Sacred Gears rather than hindering them , I think we should do fine . Ruby and Yang already have gotten Sacred Gears which are quite high tier . Combining them with the style they are going to learn , they should be able to take down most of the coming opponents without too much difficulty . Mitelt can combine what she learns with powers from her Oni and Fallen Angel heritage .

Of course , one may argue that the bosses we are going to face will be able to take them down , but that's what Issei is here for .

totally agree on that count, we don't need the "optimal style" going for something less powerful but that suits them better is fine.

Smuthunter said:
The same goes for TMAs. They don't have enlightened essence so they can't learn any charms from those styles either, not until we unlock their essence for them.

At this point, the only thing we're really capable of doing is raising their mundane skills. With that in mind, we should be shooting for helping the girls unlock their respective Balance Breakers, which will almost certainly be much more powerful than anything we can teach them at their current levels. In the meantime we research ways to unlock CMAs for them and then give them styles that are actually worth spending EXP on instead of settling for shitty mortal-tier charms. Does this sound workable?
*shrug* Okay. Just be aware that this way they will not learn style Charms for a long time.

...Aren't there Excellencies for mortals or something so we resolve the whole debacle? Even fan made ones. Let me see...

iamnuff said:
I was under the impression that getting flaws was the ONLY way to get merits?

It is, but he had me counted as picking only flaws, without any merits to spend the points we gain from these flaws on.

What I voted was actually both merits and the ward, then changing the ward to climate sensitivity. Apparently ALexander exchanged the merits to climate sensitivity, though.

[X] Flaws: Climate Sensitivity (Cold)

Yang:
[X] First Pulse
Ruby:
[X] Titan Felling
Mittelt:
[X] Ivory Pestle
Asia:
[X] Thaumaturgy
-[X] Alchemy

@ iamnuff : Picking Cold isn't meta gaming . Just wait until we hit the Vampire arc , which will take place in Romania . It may come up a lot earlier , as we don't necessarily have to visit all the stations of the canon . In fact , I hope that large deviations will occur sooner rather than later .

As for ward being in-character and fitting the story better , I can see your point . Rescuing damsels in distress is very in-character for Issei , and there is lot of potential for good stories there . But it also increases the chance of a limit break , a serious con that outweighs all the pros , I think .

Brandark said:
@ iamnuff : Picking Cold isn't meta gaming . Just wait until we hit the Vampire arc , which will take place in Romania . It may come up a lot earlier , as we don't necessarily have to visit all the stations of the canon . In fact , I hope that large deviations will occur sooner rather than later .

As for ward being in-character and fitting the story better , I can see your point . Rescuing damsels in distress is very in-character for Issei , and there is lot of potential for good stories there . But it also increases the chance of a limit break , a serious con that outweighs all the pros , I think .

HA!

i didn't mean rescuing them is in character for Issei.

We just agreed to teach Ruby and Yang, they are both our students in magic/magic-history and soon to be in martial arts too.

Ruby is EXACTLY the sort of hotheaded and irresponsible student that the Ward description was talking about, running off and getting into fights to impress us.

hell, the very first thing she does in RWBY is get into a fight with her home made deathscythe thing, and try to show off enough that it gets her into magic school (or something, i don't remember)

her and aisia are going to get in trouble anyway, why not make a game mechanic out of it?

Alexander said:
*shrug* Okay. Just be aware that this way they will not learn style Charms for a long time.

That is why I choose Titan Felling, actually. Reading the Style description, It sounds to me like the kind of MA that focuses of Pinpoint hits hard and running away, rolling with strikes and breaking falls. All of those things work for Ruby. I assumed (and of course, I should never assume) that people looked at more than just the charms.

Tally updated (read previous post)

iamnuff said:
HA!

i didn't mean rescuing them is in character for Issei.

We just agreed to teach Ruby and Yang, they are both our students in magic/magic-history and soon to be in martial arts too.

Ruby is EXACTLY the sort of hotheaded and irresponsible student that the Ward description was talking about, running off and getting into fights to impress us.

hell, the very first thing she does in RWBY is get into a fight with her home made deathscythe thing, and try to show off enough that it gets her into magic school (or something, i don't remember)

her and aisia are going to get in trouble anyway, why not make a game mechanic out of it?

Okay , so that's what you meant . Still , I will give the same reason against it , that is , the increased chance of a limit break . We cannot eliminate the chance of it occuring completely , of course , but still , every little bit counts . Besides , if Ruby and Asia are going to get into trouble anyway , then it will occur with or without it being a game mechanic .

If it is part of Alexander's plot , I trust him not to screw us over too badly . If it's a game mechanic , we have to depend more on the dice with increased frequency (a roll at the beginning of each session) , whose betrayal is only a matter of time .

Brandark said:
Okay , so that's what you meant . Still , I will give the same reason against it , that is , the increased chance of a limit break . We cannot eliminate the chance of it occuring completely , of course , but still , every little bit counts . Besides , if Ruby and Asia are going to get into trouble anyway , then it will occur with or without it being a game mechanic .

If it is part of Alexander's plot , I trust him not to screw us over too badly . If it's a game mechanic , we have to depend more on the dice with increased frequency (a roll at the beginning of each session) , whose betrayal is only a matter of time .

eh, we don't get limit for them being in trouble, we get limit for deciding not to help (and we wont) or for failing.

so long as we actually stay in character and help them out when they get in-trouble, then we should be fine, limit wise.

Yang:
[X] First Pulse

Ruby:
[X] Ivory Pestle

Mittelt:
[X] Ivory Pestle

Asia:
[X] Thaumaturgy
-[X] Enchantment

iamnuff said:
eh, we don't get limit for them being in trouble, we get limit for deciding not to help (and we wont) or for failing.

so long as we actually stay in character and help them out when they get in-trouble, then we should be fine, limit wise.

Ah well , let's just say we both have our reasons for our choices and leave it at that .

Still no clear winner for the choice of flaws . I hope it clears up soon .

Why are people voting to teach ruby Ivory Pestle. Can she even use that with her sacred gear?

nightblade said:
Why are people voting to teach ruby Ivory Pestle. Can she even use that with her sacred gear?

apparently it counts as a staff if she doesn't unfold the blade or some shit.

it's still teaching the scythe user how to NOT use her signiture weapon, just because the other style has "bigger numbers"

And even if she folds it the blade covers most of the staff.

This is the argument that never ends ,

It just goes on and on my friends ,

Some people started voting for it not knowing what it was ,

And they'll continue voting forever just because . . .

iamnuff said:
apparently it counts as a staff if she doesn't unfold the blade or some shit.

it's still teaching the scythe user how to NOT use her signiture weapon, just because the other style has "bigger numbers"
It counts as a staff regardless of whether the blade is folded up or not because a scythe is just a staff with a big blade attached to it. IP is also compatible with oars, coat stands, crowbars, spears, javelins, and anything else that contains the basic form of "a stick."

And I will remind you that bigger numbers are what determines whether Ruby lives or dies in any given fight. Given that she is a mortal in a game where mortals die if you sneeze on them too hard she needs every advantage she can possibly get just to survive, much less contribute meaningfully to a fight.

Reactions: Zac
Smuthunter said:
It counts as a staff regardless of whether the blade is folded up or not because a scythe is just a staff with a big blade attached to it. IP is also compatible with oars, coat stands, crowbars, spears, javelins, and anything else that contains the basic form of "a stick."

And I will remind you that bigger numbers are what determines whether Ruby lives or dies in any given fight. Given that she is a mortal in a game where mortals die if you sneeze on them too hard she needs every advantage she can possibly get just to survive, much less contribute meaningfully to a fight.

"in a game where"

let me stop you right there.

how many exalted critters are running around here?

just the one?

yeah.

DxD is a lot more forgiving than Exalted, and the power level isn't usually so high.

also, alex isn't a shitty GM who drops rocks fall if you don't pick the most munchkin option at every opportunity.

iamnuff said:
DxD is a lot more forgiving than Exalted, and the power level isn't usually so high.
Have you looked at this series recently? Like, since volume 2 or so? The power levels aren't better in DxD, they're about a million times worse. At least in Exalted you can kill almost anything just by stabbing it with a sword in the right spot but DxD has shonen fighting logic and "your sword bounces off my face because your power levels are only three digits long" villains. The heaviest hitters are walking extinction events who wouldn't be out of place in Dragonball Z. Even freaking Ligier can't throw around as much firepower as Sirzechs and friends, and the heroes get into casual mountain-busting territory around... what, volume 5 or so?

And before then we have fights with Kokabiel and freaking Vali the mary sue villain to worry about, to say nothing of whatever else the plot throws at us. Our one advantage for those fights is our holy damage, I have no idea how in the hell we're supposed to survive either of them when Kokabiel -- the weaker of the two by far -- tanked Issei's mountain-scarring FUCK YOU beam mixed with Rias's power of destruction and wasn't even scratched by it. He would have to have either an equivalent to a perfect defense of his own or else a natural soak value in the triple digits.

Smuthunter said:
Have you looked at this series recently? Like, since volume 2 or so? The power levels aren't better in DxD, they're about a million times worse. At least in Exalted you can kill almost anything just by stabbing it with a sword in the right spot but DxD has shonen fighting logic and "your sword bounces off my face because your power levels are only three digits long" villains. The heaviest hitters are walking extinction events who wouldn't be out of place in Dragonball Z. Even freaking Ligier can't throw around as much firepower as Sirzechs and friends, and the heroes get into casual mountain-busting territory around... what, volume 5 or so?

And before then we have fights with Kokabiel and freaking Vali the mary sue villain to worry about, to say nothing of whatever else the plot throws at us. Our one advantage for those fights is our holy damage, I have no idea how in the hell we're supposed to survive either of them when Kokabiel -- the weaker of the two by far -- tanked Issei's mountain-scarring FUCK YOU beam mixed with Rias's power of destruction and wasn't even scratched by it. He would have to have either an equivalent to a perfect defense of his own or else a natural soak value in the triple digits.

I have faith that Alexander isn't going to throw us into the deep end unless we have atleast a chance to get back out again. (and if he does, then knowing slightly better charms isn't going to help ruby)

also, i wonder how those "extinction events" would fare in social combat?

we might be able to attack from that angle.

also, goes without saying, but that's all OOC knowledge.

IC, all we know is that we want to teach her a martial arts style, and she has a scythe.

Staff techs don't make much sense for her, it mean she has to ignore a full half of her weapon.

my "bigger numbers" wasn't a comment about us not needing more power, just about us not being able to justify giving her the strange option that obviously doesn't suit her, just because its "stronger" in a mechanics way.

Smuthunter said:

We are not talking about power levels when we talk about how forgiving the setting is .In DxD the good guys rarely die , and when they do , they get better . Even the antagonists tend to avert death more often than not .

While Sirzechs and friends have power that outstrips most Exalted characters , they don't go killing people willy nilly with that power .

Kokabiel is kind of deranged , but he doesn't kill people on sight . In canon he basically said , "Come at me bro" , and gave the heroes time to set up their attack .

Vali is only interested in fighting strong opponents that can at the very least match him . Though he threatened to kill Issei's parents , it was only to motivate Issei to fight better , and he abandoned that approach when he found a better one .

Lastly , also consider the fact that while our comrades certainly won't avoid the heat of battle , Issei will bear the brunt of our enemies' might , seeing as he is the protagonist .

You are being quite paranoid over Ruby's probable death . Have faith in God , the GM , and your fellow questers . None of us will let Ruby die that easily .

Brandark said:
We are not talking about power levels when we talk about how forgiving the setting is .In DxD the good guys rarely die , and when they do , they get better . Even the antagonists tend to avert death more often than not .

While Sirzechs and friends have power that outstrips most Exalted characters , they don't go killing people willy nilly with that power .

Kokabiel is kind of deranged , but he doesn't kill people on sight . In canon he basically said , "Come at me bro" , and gave the heroes time to set up their attack .

Vali is only interested in fighting strong opponents that can at the very least match him . Though he threatened to kill Issei's parents , it was only to motivate Issei to fight better , and he abandoned that approach when he found a better one .

Lastly , also consider the fact that while our comrades certainly won't avoid the heat of battle , Issei will bear the brunt of our enemies' might , seeing as he is the protagonist .

You are being quite paranoid over Ruby's probable death . Have faith in God , the GM , and your fellow questers . None of us will let Ruby die that easily .
I would like to have all kinds of faith in Alexander, but unfortunately lethality is a thing in this system. It is extremely easy to kill people by accident - recall how we almost one-shot killed Raynare. We didn't even have an excellency or any real damage-enhancing charms, just boom and she was down to about two health boxes. That's the way combat goes in exalted -- whiff, whiff, whiff, dead.

What are the advantages of Ruby learning [X] Titan Felling & Path of the Arbiter over [X] Ivory Pestle?

Also keep things in perspective Smuthunter. A more lethal probably does make Ruby more safe, making it more viable for her to be our Ward. Further while she may be physically safe, it may cause her emotional pain if she near fatally wounds someone. It's pretty clear which we'd prefer but don't pretend that there isn't a tradeoff of sorts.

I heard your vote changed Smuthunter but it wasn't clear to me when you did it. Can you state what you changed it too & what it was originally?

To either side please inform if I'm mistaken on a point.

megrisvernin said:
What are the advantages of Ruby learning [X] Titan Felling & Path of the Arbiter over [X] Ivory Pestle?

Also keep things in perspective Smuthunter. A more lethal probably does make Ruby Safe, make it more viable for her to be our Ward. Further while she may be physically safe, it may cause her emotional pain if she near fatally wounds someone. It's pretty clear which we'd prefer but don't pretend that there isn't a tradeoff of sorts.
That's one of the reasons she should be learning Ivory Pestle though; not only is it more effective mechanically, but it also teaches her to use the blunted parts of her scythe so she can deal bashing damage with it as if it were a club or a quarterstaff (This is also exactly the IC reason that Issei would teach it to her -- Ruby wants to learn how to be a heroine of justice, not so much how to kill people with a scythe).

I heard your vote changed Smuthunter but it wasn't clear to me when you did it. Can you state what you changed it too?
I just changed the style Ruby would learn from Titan Felling to Ivory Pestle.

*EDIT*
Reminder, Ruby's natural style already incorporates using the blunted end of her scythe as a weapon. Crescent Rose has a protrusion like the head of a warhammer on the business end opposite the blade, probably some kind of counter-weight.

Crescent_Rose.jpg

Watch the way she uses it against human opponents -- the blade never comes into play. It would appear that something similar to Ivory Pestle is what Ruby already uses when she's fighting enemies she doesn't want to kill.

Smuthunter said:
That's one of the reasons she should be learning Ivory Pestle though; not only is it more effective mechanically, but it also teaches her to use the blunted parts of her scythe so she can deal bashing damage with it as if it were a club or a quarterstaff (This is also exactly the IC reason that Issei would teach it to her -- Ruby wants to learn how to be a heroine of justice, not so much how to kill people with a scythe).
I just changed the style Ruby would learn from Titan Felling to Ivory Pestle.

Good arguments. What are the counter arguments for other styles?

Also to Alexander. I don't mind rolling which of the girls we get but I'm not sure if Aika Kiryu would be part of the list even though we have an intimacy with her. At the moment she doesn't seem to be aware of the masquerade about Devils & Fallen Angels so I can't be sure she'd even know to contact us if she ran into trouble.. I'm not...opposed to having her as part of our Dice System later on but at the moment IC her becoming our ward would require us to bring her in on everything with...little to show for it compared to, well, any of the other girls even the monster tamer.

Coincidentally does she actually gain a power or ability in the show? Something that would make her a noteworthy addition, instead of whatever powers we might decide to empower her with in the dice?

he main claim to relevence is that she's and Asia become good freinds and she pushes for her to make a move on Issei.

Silversun17 said:
he main claim to relevence is that she's and Asia become good freinds and she pushes for her to make a move on Issei.

Hrmm. Does she become aware of the nature of Devils or Fallen Angels at a certain point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back