• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Nanoquest: It's the littlest things that matter most. (HxH)

I'm never touching those dices again.

BlackWarth said:
In HSDK a dude did this to all the muscles in his body with training but i believed it was manga bullshit... if it is possible in this quest i change my vote for the muscle option in [X] Turn all her muscle to pink muscle

It is manga bullshit... Because Pink muscle does not exist. HSDK made it up.

But hey, PSEUDOSCIENCE! If it didn't exist before, does that really matter?

Vindictus said:
It is manga bullshit... Because Pink muscle does not exist. HSDK made it up.

But hey, PSEUDOSCIENCE! If it didn't exist before, does that really matter?
Pink Muscle is very real Vin... Hard to make and sustain but Very very real.

Nope. The closest you can get to pink muscle would be to have both red and white muscle.

I actually spent hours after I read the portion of HSDK that introduced it looking for references, but they all lead back to that same source... So I am forced to conclude that the mangaka made it up to handwave something, since I couldn't find any trustworthy sources.

Vindictus said:
Nope. The closest you can get to pink muscle would be to have both red and white muscle.

I actually spent hours after I read the portion of HSDK that introduced it looking for references, but they all lead back to that same source... So I am forced to conclude that the mangaka made it up to handwave something, since I couldn't find any trustworthy sources.
Literally Google I'm Feeling Lucky
Pink

And literally first result on Google-

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_pink_muscle

But that's not so important as the fact that none of these sites link their sources. Note the Author of your article himself admitting that personal training is littered with pseudoscience-
Matthew has a degree in environment science and is a certified personal trainer. He calls himself an evidence-based personal trainer. This title is necessary because personal training is a field which is littered with well-disguised pseudoscience. He owns a small exercise facility in Ottawa, Ontario where the emphasis is on teaching the biology behind the exercise

Given he does not mention pink muscle except in passing, and does not list his source, I am not going to take his word for it.

Guys... given that the quest is in a setting with bullshit hax power, why are you quibbling on a psuedo-science?

I'll point out that respirocytes would give her enough oxygen stored in her blood that she'd be able to perform high-energy exercise for 15-20 minutes without building up lactic acid levels, while holding her breath. Given that the world record run speed IRL is about 44 km/h (in a 100m sprint), and she'd probably be able to go faster than that thanks to our augmentations, it's entirely possible that she'd not only be able to sprint the entire distance of a marathon, but that she could do it while holding her breath.

nick012000 said:
I'll point out that respirocytes would give her enough oxygen stored in her blood that she'd be able to perform high-energy exercise for 15-20 minutes without building up lactic acid levels, while holding her breath. Given that the world record run speed IRL is about 44 km/h (in a 100m sprint), and she'd probably be able to go faster than that thanks to our augmentations, it's entirely possible that she'd not only be able to sprint the entire distance of a marathon, but that she could do it while holding her breath.
In HxH people can reach superhuman levels even without knowing and/or using Nen, no matter how you look at it Killua was superhuman even before knowing about Nen, it was justified as bullshit assassin training but in his house even the servants were superhumans on some level.

BlackWarth said:
In HxH people can reach superhuman levels even without knowing and/or using Nen, no matter how you look at it Killua was superhuman even before knowing about Nen, it was justified as bullshit assassin training but in his house even the servants were superhumans on some level.

Of course. He was ripping people's hearts out with his bare hands in his pre-teen years and moving in just the right way that he blurred into multiple images in the human eye. There's a reason most Nen users study martial arts, even though it's not actually necessary at all for them. HxH martial arts are scary but they're not as unlimited as some series and Nen trumps them pretty easily in everything except speed. It's worth noting that very few Nen users seem to use nen to increase speed (they just use physical combat training instead).

But, what if our biological boosts stack with unrealistic martial arts skills? Perhaps if we gave her respirocytes she'd be able to go 30-40 minutes because of her mildly superhuman phsyical state?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the unrealistic martial arts don't use spiritual stuff as the mechanism for its function, then we should be able to replicate or exceed its effects through the use of augmentations. If nothing else, we could simply send a party of scout-bots to invade Killua's body to determine how his biology lets him do what he does.

On a slightly different topic, though, I wonder how much more powerful "I won't use my Enhancement on anything but my nanobots and things enhanced by my nanobots, or else my Nen will turn against me and disable them for the next 24 hours" and "I won't use my Manipulation on anything uninfected by my nanobots" would make our Nen.

Hmm. I wonder if Enhancement Nen would stack with something like Shalnark's Autopilot ability.

BlackWarth said:
[X] Before anything else... "Lass, you don't need to talk out loud. I'm inside your brain, so if you think at me, I'll hear you."
[X] Level 2: General blemish removal, and body fat sculpting. We can keep her skin blemish- and wrinkle-free, and make sure that she'll always keep a girlish figure, no matter how much she eats or what augmentations we give her.
[X] Then the strength-boosting trifecta:
-[X] Level 3: Release a flood of myostatin, results in colloquially called double-muscle. Some bulking; unfortunate.
-[X] Level 3/2: Alter muscle to produce white muscle, for explosive power. Nanobots eating lactic acid buildup also grants superior endurance.
-[X] Level 2: Reinforce, skin, bones, muscles, and tendons with a carbon nanotube weave. Increases durability and maximum usable strength.
[X] Level 1: Replace red blood cells with respirocytes. Dramatically increases endurance.
[X] Level 3: Nor-adrenaline boost: affects alertness, vigilance, reflex, aggression, motivation, learning and memory. Also arousal, sorry.

The bus driver sends Ponzu an annoyed look when she finally gets in, but he quickly hits the road and you leave the farm behind, to a chorus of good byes and good lucks.

Ponzu listens to your propositions carefully and asks for several precisions, how long it would take to applies those changes, the chances of a rejection, but she seems cautiously optimistic about this whole turn of event. She is appreciative of the cosmetic surgery, but it's the promise of enhanced everything that really catches her interest. In the end, she tells you to start with the respirocytes, to keep the norepi shots for the emergencies and puts her foot down on the myostatin supression.

'I don't plan on looking like a bloated cow,' she thinks at you.

'You have some notion of biology, lass?'

She shrugs. 'I spent the last five years helping the doc with the farm's animals. And the farmers too, I guess."

She frowns "But what about you? How did you get here?

[]...?

A few hours later, the bus reaches a town bordering a desert, you get to see the train Ponzu intends to take.

'This is a train', you ask.

'Well yes, can't you see the steam Locomotive?'

'I can, but locomotives in our databanks aren't five stories tall. Nor for that matter, are they trailing what amount to a liner on tracks.'

'Get on our level? Anway, this is the best way to cross the desert. I need to be in Zaban in 6 days, and that means getting on the other side.'

'Understood.'

Ponzu joins the steady stream of people heading toward the train and it's not long before she reaches one of the boarding stairs.

"Welcome to the Sandsteamer Rozalin II," A young women in a gray uniform says cheerfully after punching her ticket. "Well done in making it here before the rush, you'll get your choice of rooms." She winks. "I must remind you that you must keep your ticket on you at all time. Because of the ever increasing number of stoaways, the Rosen Queen company has declared that anyone found without a valid ticket will be thrown overboard without their possessions."

'That is quite drastic.'

"You're telling me." Ponzu says aloud, causing the hostess to cock her head questioningly. "Nevermind."

Her smile returns. "Better watch out for pickpockets as well, miss."

Ponzu nods. "Is that all?"

"One more, no, two more things. First I must regretfully inform you that the mid passenger deck has received structural damages during the last trip. While some reparation have been made, a little over a third of the 2nd-class rooms have been condmened for the return trip."

"That's why you told me I'd have my pick of room."

"Exactly, While the Rozen Queen Company can't in good conscience refuses a paying costumers, the late arrivals will have to be crammed in the 3rd class rooms on the lower passenger deck." She pauses. "Returning to the 2nd class, you may experience some electrical blackout during the trip, but we assure you they will be dealt with swiftly."

"Lastly, the Rozen Queen Company will not take responsibility for you untimely death by the hands of hostile weather or desert creatures. Please listen to the staff's directive and keep the portholes shut at night so we don't all die from Shura Mantis infestation."

'Amazing how her smile doesn't waver while she's speculating about her own gruesome demise. Actually, it seems to be brightening.'

You host wisely ignores you this time. "Will that be all?"

The hostess bows and waves you aboard. "Why yes! The Rozen Queen Company wishes you a good day and an excellent trip on our line."

'This vehicle must carry thousands of passengers. Will she tell this speech to everyone who take this stair. That would be a long day.'

Ponzu climbs the stairs.

Notice:Several elements put host, and thus the collective, at risk of death. As such we may want to suggest her a course of action.

[]...?

------
Originally, Ponzu was supposed to shoot down anything that sounded like you were turning her into a robot or taking over her bodily functions, making her unable to live without you, which means your little list would have added yet more strain to your budding relationship. Damn dices.

[X] Tell her we don't know how we ended up in her because our records only go back to being in her body but tell her the time and date of our records start.
[X] Begin alterations agreed on with host.

[X] Start on the CNT reinforcement.

The rest can wait until she's backup to full health

(x) We have no records of ever being anywhere else. We came online within the Host, and this is all we know.
(x) Inquire after this Mantis. Is threat poison, physical damage? Then we will know what alterations to the host should be done first.
(x) Suggest patrolling steamer once base has been acquired. Meet people, also check bloody windows (if her bees can carry letters, can they close portholes windows?). Ask after other dangers on Rosen Queen route. Bandits?

[X] Tell her we don't know how we ended up in her because our records only go back to being in her body but tell her the time and date of our records start.

Interesting quest.

It seems to me Liam as much as told us we should ready ourselves for death and danger, guys. Bandits, monsters, whatever. I'm kinda thinking we should go ahead with the bone strengthening. Better endurance won't save her from a blade or claw.

nick012000 said:
"I won't use my Manipulation on anything uninfected by my nanobots" would make our Nen.
Manipulation users generally focus their ability on a single medium to get the job done, so it would make the ability functional, at best.

On a slightly different topic, though, I wonder how much more powerful "I won't use my Enhancement on anything but my nanobots and things enhanced by my nanobots, or else my Nen will turn against me and disable them for the next 24 hours" and
This, however, has potential. Putting severe restrictions on your nen with the risk of crippling retribution if you break them can greatly enhance an ability. Tough it'll have to be very clearly and carefully worded so that we're all clear on what it entails.

nick012000 said:
If the unrealistic martial arts don't use spiritual stuff as the mechanism for its function, then we should be able to replicate or exceed its effects through the use of augmentations. If nothing else, we could simply send a party of scout-bots to invade Killua's body to determine how his biology lets him do what he does.
That's why we need to keep our probe types deactivated, not just flush them. We'll want to expand. Making sure probe types are in place every time Ponzu bleeds, I think would be swell. What's the range on the hive's collective... collectiveness? Intellect? Ability to talk to one another?

And Killua can do stuff like restructure his hands into killing claws, before he ever knew of Nen. So, you know, there's weird stuff out there. And his Transmutation ability of turning Nen into bioelectricity actually sounds pretty great for us; if Ponzu is a Transmutation type and learns it, she basically uses her Nen to power us up and then we use that for the energy-intensive powers, like KOS-MOS style energy attacks.

Well, we ought to be able to copy the non-Nen parts of the unrealistic martial arts we see to a point. Some stuff is going to be skill as well as raw physical status (like Killua's blurring into multiple versions of himself trick, which apparently involves not just raw speed but perfect timing to disrupt human vision, which probably has to be trained in). And, of course, Nen is a force multiplier, but if we can get Ponzu through the Hunter Exam she'll be much more likely to find a teacher (since a large percentage of the world's Nen users are Hunters and more inclined to teach those who've passed the exam).

SolipsistSerpent said:
Acknowledged.We will inhibit the production of erythrocytes (red blood cells) in the bone marrow and progressively replace them with respirocytes as they die. Process will be complete in 23 days and 14 hours.

Ponzu acknowledges the time you give her and try to think about what she was doing at the time. She frowns."I was herding a bunch of dumb kids at the time. I'm pretty sure nothing unusual happened at the time."

'It is possible we were inserted into your organism at a previous date and only came online that day.'

Ponzu doesn't like the possibility at all.

Warning: At this conjuncture, we have the opportunity to advise our host in the step she will take to ensure her safety during the trip through a highly hostile zone. The Hostess' speech included several key elements that could impact our survival.

- The risk of wild predators boarding the vehicle and hunting us.
- The risk of being stranded in this desert if our host is caught without a ticket.
-The middle deck, where Ponzu plans on staying at this time, has suffered an unknown level of structural damage at this time. This implies that there is some unknown factor in the desert with the ability to damage our transportation to a substantial degree. Furthermore, the isolation and measures meant to ensure safety on that level may be may be compromised.
-The lower deck, containing the 3rd class compartment does not show this shortcomig. It is however predicted to be packed beyong normal level, which may cause discomfort to our host. The large crowd increases the risk of being targeted by pickpockets.
-There was no mention of the upper deck, but it can be assumed the 1st class compartments provide the best in comfort and security. With the non nominative nature of the sandsteamer's ticket, it can be assumed that acquiring one and claiming a room as is all that is needed to be allowed there by the ship's staff.

Remark: Our host may be in possession of further knowledge that may help us in planning our future course of action. It may be a good time to lear more about her and her objectives.

[X] Ask the Host about her destination (is this the Hunter exam coming up?)
[X] Advise Host to talk to Rosen Queen personnel on previous trouble. Structural damage is particularly a problem given noted 'Mantis' activity.
-[X] Advise Host to dispatch her lesser minions (bees) to keep an eye on likely ingress points.
[X] Start on Host durability project: carbon nanotubing if she is unlikely to notice it. That seems less noticeable than muscle strengthening. Continue to filter blood, cholesterol, potential virii and similar health risks. Gut bacteria may be desirable to remain.

Hey I had a stupid idea could she put her ticket in her beehive hat?

Guile, I don't think she has magic bee control powers that would let her use them as sentries. I think she just has "attack" and "return to/stay in hive" command training for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back