• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Trials of the God-Harem King [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

Diller said:
Hey you think we can ask her to teach us how to hack? Terrorist organizations aren't going bankrupt themselves ya know.
We don't have any of the hacking charms, but given the way abilities are structured in Exalted, at Lore 4 (which covers general, non-occult knowledge including computers) we are already a very skilled mundane hacker.

Brandark said:
Point.

How's this , then?

[X] To your credit , you manage to close your mouth after just a second or two. Taking a look at Rias' distressed reaction , you move quickly to reassure her.

"I... see. So Maou Lucifer is your brother? Ah , no need to be so tense , I was just surprised , is all. I won't hold it against you or treat you any differently. But don't you think you could have mentioned this sooner? If it was your personal affair , it would be completely understandable , but this affects both us and our contract , you know.

But enough of that , we can save that discussion for later. Now , what is it that the Maou wants you to do , and how am I involved in this?"

It's good but it doesn't quite capture the right...response. There's a subtly we need to clarify here. In what capacity is Maou Lucifer asking Rias to act here? As a Brother? Or as a Leader of her people?

If it's the former, despite their apparent seperation, then we should have known the connection. As an affiliate we have a right to know what particular favors & web of alliances our allies have. If it's the later then that's not truly her fault. Just one more matter about the underworld we wanted to know & nothing Rias had any say over.

We need to find a tactful way of parsing the two. Is Maou Lucifer giving Rias this command because he is her brother or her leader....or both?

Our reaction should vary accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
megrisvernin said:
[] Suddenly some small details, some things you had once dismissed as personality quirks of a beautiful girl just... make sense

The fact that she's very interested in us, asks about our family and visit our bed at night but rarely speaks of herself, talks about her family and their achievements, even when she's not all that modest?

Indrik said:
...at Lore 4 (which covers general, non-occult knowledge including computers) we are already a very skilled mundane hacker.

Very Skilled Mundane Hacker < Internet Mage < Matsu.

There's how it goes.

Diller said:
Also she wants people to treat her like Rias. Not Rias the Gremory heir or Rias the sister of Lucifer but just the teenage devil Rias. She was probably afraid we'd treat her differently if we knew about this.

Or take advantageous of her because of her connections to the mao. Also it was likely because he is new to the supernatural so it would be better to not inform him of her relation to the mao as to not effect their contract

codeRR said:
Or take advantageous of her because of her connections to the mao. Also it was likely because he is new to the supernatural so it would be better to not inform him of her relation to the mao as to not effect their contract

Just when I was about to edit to add that. Still thanks code for covering that.

megrisvernin raised a good point , though.

I understand her reasons , but still , she should have said something. Consider the fact that we are not her pawn like in canon , where we are her slave and have to obey every order. A contract is based upon exchange. And being the Maou's sister adds a whole new dimension to what is expected from us as a contracted magician.

Mu-Sensei said:
The fact that she's very interested in us, asks about our family and visit our bed at night but rarely speaks of herself, talks about her family and their achievements, even when she's not all that modest?

It's...kind of a large stretch. The rarely speaking of herself part I understand , but the rest are not necessarily related.

[Common Sense] wants to give you an advice: maybe you should listen to the whole story before judging.

Brandark said:
megrisvernin raised a good point , though.

I understand her reasons , but still , she should have said something. Consider the fact that we are not her pawn like in canon , where we are her slave and have to obey every order. A contract is based upon exchange. And being the Maou's sister adds a whole new dimension to what is expected from us as a contracted magician.

That is also true, right now our achievements reflect on her so knowing what's expected of us is important.

If common sense says wait then I shall wait on that aspect of why she didn't say anything

It'd be kinda hypocritical to blame Rias for holding back information before making the contract,
seeing as we did the exact same thing.

Alexander said:
[Common Sense] wants to give you an advice: maybe you should listen to the whole story before judging.

We are not judging , and we definitely won't treat her differently or give her the cold shoulder. She helped us out quite a bit and we won't forget that. We'll have to ask her to trust us more in the future and prove that we are worthy of her trust. I just wanted to give a gentle reminder. Was my tone too harsh?

If this is about Lucifer's request then I agree that we should listen carefully before doing anything.

A little bit of background information might help.

Alexander did Rias inform Issei of the Devil World's power structure? Does Issei know that the Gremory Family answered to a Maou even if he was unaware that person was Rias's brother?

To the extent her family was subordinate to another is an important detail to us. The precise nature of the interpolitics of the Devil Court we might not need to know, but we do need to know who Rias needs to follow orders from.

Disrobingcoin said:
It'd be kinda hypocritical to blame Rias for holding back information before making the contract,

Whatever Bright & Ddraig's influence on Issei he can make his own decisions. To the extent that each party was acting as their own agent is important in contracts, & it matters and on important issues it would be Issei , not either of them, that would be making agreements with Rias. The same is not true if there's a leader Rias has to answer too & who could make decisions she would need to abide by.

Disrobingcoin said:
Welcome to QQ :D
megrisvernin said:
A little bit of background information might help.

Alexander did Rias inform Issei of the Devil World's power structure? Does Issei know that the Gremory Family answered to a Maou even if he was unaware that person was Rias's brother?

To the extent her family was subordinate to another is an important detail to us. The precise nature of the interpolitics of the Devil Court we might not need to know, but we do need to know who Rias needs to follow orders from.
Occult 4 gives you that information.

Issei is aware of the Devil's World powers structure. Technically all Families in the underworld answer to the Four Maou, but the latter are meant to be impartial and be concerned only with Devil society's "Good" as a whole. While they can give orders, those orders need to be justified.

Noticed how Rias said "request", not "order".

Alexander said:
Welcome to QQ :DOccult 4 gives you that information.

Issei is aware of the Devil's World powers structure. Technically all Families in the underworld answer to the Four Maou, but the latter are meant to be impartial and be concerned only with Devil society's "Good" as a whole. While they can give orders, those orders need to be justified.

Noticed how Rias said "request", not "order".

*nod*. An important distinction at the crux of the matter is, is how much of that political fiction is in fact truth?

To the extent that this is a command from a Maou to his vassals Issei shouldn't be that bothered. He knew the Gremory Family answered to the Maou. To the extent that it's her brother asking her to do something advantageous to his position we needed to know. As an affiliate it's important that we understood just who might call up the Gremory & in what capacity. So long as Rias's brother truly cut off his ties to them & no longer passes or asks for favors we don't actually need to know.

megrisvernin said:
*nod*. An important distinction at the crux of the matter is, is how much of that political fiction is in fact truth?

To the extent that this is a command from a Maou to his vassals Issei shouldn't be that bothered. He knew the Gremory Family answered to the Maou. To the extent that it's her brother asking her to do something advantageous to his position we needed to know. As an affiliate it's important that we understood just who might call up the Gremory & in what capacity. So long as Rias's brother truly cut off his ties to them & no longer passes or asks for favors we don't actually need to know.
True it would be helpful to know. However, to know that Issei first needs to listen to what Rias and the others have to say. What Issei knows for certain is:

-Rias' brother is Maou Lucifer.
-Maou Lucifer asked her to do something.
-That something concerned Issei.

He obviously lacks enough information to make a correct judgment

megrisvernin said:

Lucifer maintains a very close relation not with Rias , but other members of his family also.

As for the request , he played it masterfully. He didn't do anything to us directly. But he made sure to involve Rias in such a way that it involves us , also. It doesn't matter whether she was requested or ordered. We'd need a very good reason to refuse should Rias compel us by her contract.

Alexander said:
True it would be helpful to know. However, to know that Issei first needs to listen to what Rias and the others have to say. What Issei knows for certain is:

-Rias' brother is Maou Lucifer.
-Maou Lucifer asked her to do something.
-That something concerned Issei.

He obviously lacks enough information to make a correct judgment

This is blowing a bit out of proportion , I think. So far , I have planned Issei to give Rias a gentle reminder to not hold info back from us that is important to us , and assure her that we are not holding a grudge and will treat her the same as before. Then we are going to listen to Rias' proposal carefully before responding. Does the warning still apply?

Brandark said:
This is blowing a bit out of proportion , I think. So far , I have planned Issei to give Rias a gentle reminder to not hold info back from us that is important to us , and assure her that we are not holding a grudge and will treat her the same as before. Then we are going to listen to Rias' proposal carefully before responding. Does the warning still apply?
Nope. I see nothing wrong with that plan.

Okay so I'd like the response to do 3 things.

1) We're not particularly bothered by the nature of Rias's personal family dynamics. Hers is a Great Family Dynasty & its to be expected that there will be arrangements & webs of alliances that can complicate relationships. That her brother occupies a high post is indicative of one of the original reasons we became an affiliate after all, that she could provide us some protection on her family's behalf.
2) Issei understands that as he is new to the supernatural world, especially as someone not a devil that Rias didn't explain all the relationships & networks of her or the Devil World up front. She didn't know how far she could trust us at first after all & we can see how others might try to take advantage of her connections.
3) The relevant issue is that as an affiliate it's important for us to know who the Gremory Family answers to & in what capacity they take those orders. So to us we'd like to know how accurate the official statement of Sirzechs-sama separating his ties & obligations to his family are. Is this a request from a Maou Lucifer who happens to be formerly of the Gremory Family, or Sirzechs Gremory the brother of Rias who happens to hold the post of Maou?
the intricacies & specifics of Devil politics will escape

Brandark said:

I like this. Just include something to the effect of "The relevant issue is that as an affiliate it's important for us to know who the Gremory Family answers to & in what capacity they take those orders" & we're golden. I'd like us to remind Rias in some way that we're an affiliate of her & not a subordinate. We are privy to certain kinds of information after all. Besides that I like it.

megrisvernin said:
Okay so I'd like the response to do 3 things.

1) We're not particularly bothered by the nature of Rias's personal family dynamics. Hers is a Great Family Dynasty & its to be expected that there will be arrangements & webs of alliances that can complicate relationships. That her brother occupies a high post is indicative of one of the original reasons we became an affiliate after all, that she could provide us some protection on her family's behalf.
2) Issei understands that as he is new to the supernatural world, especially as someone not a devil that Rias didn't explain all the relationships & networks of her or the Devil World up front. She didn't know how far she could trust us at first after all & we can see how others might try to take advantage of her connections.
3) The relevant issue is that as an affiliate it's important for us to know who the Gremory Family answers to & in what capacity they take those orders. So to us we'd like to know how accurate the official statement of Sirzechs-sama separating his ties & obligations to his family are. Is this a request from a Maou Lucifer who happens to be formerly of the Gremory Family, or Sirzechs Gremory the brother of Rias who happens to hold the post of Maou?
the intricacies & specifics of Devil politics will escape
1) True
2) True
3) Listen and find out. After all nobody said "You will do what we will tell you to do".

Alexander said:
1) True
2) True
3) Listen and find out. After all nobody said "You will do what we will tell you to do".

"The truth is, my older brother asked me to do something that concern you."
Brandark said:

This sounds fine to me then.

How she words it sounds like it's coming from Sirzechs Gremory rather then Sirzechs Lucifer

Rewrite 3:

[X] To your credit, you manage to close your mouth after just a second or two. Taking a look at Rias' distressed reaction, you move quickly to reassure her.

"I... see. So Maou Lucifer is your brother? Ah, no need to be so tense, I was just surprised, is all. I won't hold it against you or treat you any differently. But I'd like a heads-up in the future about this kind of information, since it affects both of us.

But enough of that, we can save that discussion for later. Now, what is it that the Maou wants you to do, and how am I involved in this? Also, please clarify one thing. Is this request from the Maou in his official capacity, or is it an informal one from Rias' brother? I think the distinction affects me greatly as an affiliate of the Gremory clan.

I think I kept the tone polite enough to not give any offense. Is this ok?

Maybe the fault is my grasp of English language?

"Ask" for me implies someone politely telling someone we need something and relying on the other's willingness to help, without putting pressures.

Alexander said:

"Ask" for me implies someone politely telling someone we need something and relying on the other's willingness to help, without putting pressures.

It's not your fault Alexander. But you're dealing in Elaborate Family Politics. Even slight variations on how things are emphasized can greatly effect the specifics of the exchange. This is worse with Japan since they expect people to intuate some things being asked of them rather than having to have them spelled out.

megrisvernin said:
It's not your fault Alexander. But you're dealing in Elaborate Family Politics. Even slight variations on how things are emphasized can greatly effect the specifics of the exchange. This is worse with Japan since they expect people to intuate some things being asked of them rather than having to have them spelled out.
*sigh* How true.

Hitting bed now. Bye.

Alexander said:

Ask is the right word for that. However depending on the context "ask" can also be used to indicate an implied order. If a policeman says something like "I'm gonna have to ask you to step out of the car, sir" that's an order that's being phrased as a request, and if you don't comply you'd better have a really good reason for it.

Brandark said:
Rewrite 3:

[X] To your credit , you manage to close your mouth after just a second or two. Taking a look at Rias' distressed reaction , you move quickly to reassure her.

"I... see. So Maou Lucifer is your brother? Ah , no need to be so tense , I was just surprised , is all. I won't hold it against you or treat you any differently. But I'd like a heads-up in the future about this kind of information , since it affects both of us.

But enough of that , we can save that discussion for later. Now , what is it that the Maou wants you to do , and how am I involved in this? Also , please clarify one thing. Is this request from the Maou in his official capacity , or is it an informal one from Rias' brother? I think the distinction affects me greatly as an affiliate of the Gremory clan.

I think I kept the tone polite enough to not give any offense. Is this ok?
With the exception of putting spaces in front of your commas, this is okay.

[X] Brandark

Smuthunter said:
With the exception of putting spaces in front of your commas, this is okay.

[X] Brandark

Haha, sorry. I've been trying to shake that bad habit, but I slip up more often than not. Corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back